Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Toyota Tundra vibration/shake

eproulxeproulx Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I've read more than enough about GM trucks with
vibration/shaking. I'm experiencing the same thing
with my 2000 Toyota Tundra.

The 1st time out, on regular city streets, at
about 45 mph, the front end shakes like crazy:
small, fairly high-frequency vibration, easily felt
through the steering, as well as by passenger. It
eventually stopped, because I slowed and had to
stop. Seems to come and go, but apparently, at
progresively higher speeds, and less frequently.
The other day, "cruising" at about 60-65mph for
about 20 miles, no incident, and getting close to
turn-off, where I was doing about 70mph, the
shaking returns. Returning home, the shaking no
longer there. It's back at the dealer for some
work, and the dealer will be looking into this
shaking I've mentioned. There was nothing
particular abot the roads, they are fine as roads
go. Any experience of this sort?

I will say this: it is happening less so, and I'm
hoping it's a matter of "break in". Otherwise, this
is a very nice machine to be driving.

Ed.

BTW the service manager "attempted" to tell me he
has the same issue in his truck, that because of
the extra-stiff suspension, it's normal and to be
expected. Yea, right.

Comments

• rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Topic is covered pretty extensively in other Tundra topic. Wheel/tire balance and parking brake adjustment seemed to cure most. Might want to read through other posts to see how yours compares. Almost 1500 miles on mine and smooth as glass.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Smoothest 4x4 I have ever driven...bar none!
  • bunkeybunkey Member Posts: 4
    would be nice if the writers on the page would stick to the topic and keep the smart remarks to themselves. Both the Chev and the Tundra have fine points. I have driven both new 2000 yr trucks and they are as different as night and day. Pick your application and then the truck for YOU.My choice is the Tundra, why , it quiet, fast, correct size, quality, 5yr powertrain. and not near the wind noise.
  • trucks4metrucks4me Member Posts: 42
    Could be that tacoma transfer case on this one. Is it the 4wd? Good luck on this one now!
  • richard48richard48 Member Posts: 3
    I've test driven four different 4WD access cabs in the last month and noticed some vibration in 3 out of the 4. The only one that I couldn't notice a vibration with had the TRD Off Road Pkg. All of these test runs were on the same smooth highway and all had the split bench seat. BTW, the tires with the Off Road Pkg.are Goodyears vs Dunlops on the others. I still want to buy this truck but I'd really like to know what the fix is if I have a vibration problem.
  • eproulxeproulx Member Posts: 5
    This Tundra is a 4x2 Limited Access cab, V8. Toyota rep test drove it, said there was vibration on hard breaking. I don't break hard, never noticed that, but with ABS it's expected. There are other BBS describing a similar problem. This vibration problem will be tracked. The dealer will today re-balance all tires and check for true round, look over the suspension and we'll give it a try. I'll be back with an update.
  • kentekente Member Posts: 28
    Just a clarification. I have a Tundra SR5 with the off road package and got GoodRICH tires not GoodYEAR. I have experienced no problems at all after 3,000 miles. It is the best vehicle that I have ever owned.
  • chilsonchilson Member Posts: 3
    I have a V8 access cab limited too. I test drove the truck at speed before buying it (in October) to make sure it didn't have a vibration. The day after I took it home it happened. Theres no way you'd miss it. When it happens it's very obvious!
    Anyway, I went home and took all the extra air pressure out of the tires and set them to factory spec. and have never had the problem since. (2k miles).

My only complaint about this truck so far is the number of GM truck owners that seem to be pushed out of shape about it. I had two park CLOSE against my door in the parking lot at work. Four have tried to challange me to a race, (GOD, let it happen on an open road next time), and a guy kept tailgating me tonite on my way home from a burger joint.
    Maybe it's on of those California things, but has anybody else noticed this problem?

P.S. Sorry, I know I went off topic but - sheesh!
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Maybe they didn't see you? Just joking. Its called new car/truck envy. This happens when a person buys any new vehicle. Words of wisdom. Take all the dealership license plate flyers off. This will help some. And as soon as you get your license plates put them on quick!. Clean all windows too. Splash some mud and dirt on the truck too! :-} kidding.
  • pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    Hear; Here. Well said.
  • cole12cole12 Member Posts: 10
    I have some info that might be helpful. When I first got my Tundra, AFTER I used my emergency brake a couple of times, I was driving around 45-50 mph. The emergency brake on the passenger side was not releasing all the way, it was heating the drum up like crazy. Which causeda vibration in my vehicle. Also, There is a TOYOTA SERVICE BULLITEN on a vibration problem, actually TOYOTA calls it a flutter in the steering wheel. Go to your service dept, ask them if your truck falls into the vin range for the TSB. They realign the steering shaft if I remember correctly.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    specifications.
    Since no e-mail address was provided by cole12, please e-mail me the Toyota bulletin number concerning this issue (the vibration has not gone away, even though it is infrequent - what a strange phenomena). Last I heard from the dealer (Petaluma, CA), there was no such bulletin. Or, failing that, please post the bulletin number. Much appreciated.
  • jlee100jlee100 Member Posts: 7
    I too have noticed some vibration at approximately
    45 MPH. It goes away when you increase your speed. The vibration has never been very bad. My Tundra is a 2 wheel drive access cab limited.
  • tundra8tundra8 Member Posts: 4
    I have a tundra 4wd that has 16,000 miles on it. It's been in the shop 3 times with vibration problems. The wheels have been balanced 3 times. The rotors and drums were replaced at 10,000 miles. It did good til about 14,000 miles than the vibration returned. But only during braking and only after the brakes had been used a while. The dealer drove it with me and it happened just as I said. The dealership service man was perplexed. He had the shoes, pads, rotors, and drums replaced. The problem is gone now but I feel sure it will recur. I drive a lot of miles so it won't be long before I find out.
  • mk25mk25 Member Posts: 8
    I've had a hell of a time with vibrations. Mine are coming from the rear and not the steering wheel! So far we've changed all tires and wheels and also the driveshaft. These measures have improved it but not solved it. Especially since now I'm very sensitive to it. The most recent thing I've noticed is that the left rear leaf springs seem to be sprung(the bottom leaf is flatter than the one on the right, and the rubber stop had contacted the chassis at one time.) I've theorized that maybe this truck was dropped at one time. Does anyone think the leaf springs could be part of the problem?
  • twospotbrytwospotbry Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Tundra that I have gone through the same thing with vibration problems. What I found out was that the wheels need to be balanced with a "stud centric" balancer. Not a hub centric. What this does is balances the wheels based upon the studs vice the center hole in the wheel. Very few tire shops have this type of balancer. Unless the tire/wheel is mounted through the stud holes of the wheel, it will not balance correctly. Didn't believe it until after months of trying to chase down the vibration, I was referred to a shop with just such a balancer. Presto, rides perfect, no vibration. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    If the studs were concentric with the hub, this should not make any difference.

Studs can bend, hubs don't.
  • drheinzdrheinz Member Posts: 3
    I am experiencing the same problem. I just added American Racing Silver Pythons (16"x8") and Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 285 75R 16's. I was beginning to think that maybe the vibration was being caused by going to a heavier tire but from what I can gather this symptom occurs with the stock tires and wheels also. I'm having the tires re ballanced today and I'm hoping this works....
  • jbcausjbcaus Member Posts: 3
    An SR5, Ext Cab, 2WD V8 Tundra purchased from a Houston Dealer in early November 1999. Having read about the vibration problem here prior to purchase, specifically tried to induce and notice any vibrations during my delivery check ride. No problems noticed. About a week later as I accelerated towards 65mph on smooth surface highway, a slight vibration/oscillation of the steering wheel was noticeable starting at about 55mph, worsening at about 60 and then subsiding as speed increased. Strange thing was that the vibration did not appear consistently -- sometimes more pronounced, other times completely absent and smooth ride -- but always in the 55-66mph range. I did take the vehicle back to the dealer for wheel balancing and they said that corrections of up to 1/2 ounce were necessary. Initially the vibration was gone, but returned again within about 2 weeks. Mostly, the vibration occurrences are so slight and infrequent that I don't really think much about it except for having been alerted by these write-ups. Haven't kept track enough to establish a trend, but seems that the vibration (when it occurs) is mostly upon highway speeds just after having been parked for a while. Bottom line is that my experience with this minor problem doesn't take away from all the good points the vehicle has. Would be nice to definitively cure the problem, but even if never solved this one issue would not change my satisfaction with the Tundra.
  • tundra8tundra8 Member Posts: 4
    Don't know how long you've been driving toyotas but I've been driving them 25 years. I've come to expect nothing but the best. And any problem disappoints me. Especially in a new truck. Put 200,000 on a 88 toyota pickup that spent less time in the shop in 10 years than my tundra has in the past 6 months. Put 40,000 on a tacoma in 12 months with nary a single problem. I expect the same of my tundra. If we start settling for less than the best we may as well be in a ford or chevy.
  • delddeld Member Posts: 8
    I have only 200 miles on my truck but about 40 miles ago experienced a shaking at 60 mph that caused me to pull off the freeway and check for a flat it was so bad. The frequency to the vibrations correlated with the speed I was driving. Since that time, it has yet to reoccur. It seems from this topic that no one has found a sure cure. I am going to have the dealer check it out the next time it happens. This "vibration" that I had shook the whole truck it was so bad.
  • sammansamman Member Posts: 3
    I have yet to get my Tundra yet "3days" so I have no real shakeing experience there. However I am on my second 4Runner. A 91 and now a 97. The 91 had the same sort of vibrations y'all are talking about and the dealers could do nothing to solve it. We heard the 92's and 93's were worse. On a tip we took it to a place here in Austin, TX called Speedy Align. Had it aligned and the wheels spun balanced on the car. PERFECT! No more viration. I have sent lots of friends there with SUV's and trucks with the larger tires. All have been impressed. Guess where I will take the new Tundra if it shakes?
  • mk25mk25 Member Posts: 8
    My Toyota dealer is lame. I'm convinced that they are incapable of fixing my vibration problem. Important question: If I take my Tundra to an unauthorized repair shop such as one that specializes in alignment and balancing, will that void my Lemon Law rights? Does anyone know? I know it won't void my warranty, but what good is a warranty if the Toyota service shops are incompetent?
  • 1taxman1taxman Member Posts: 27
    I guess Tundras don't have it so bad......see post 319 of Topic 969. The Silvarados will vibrate unless they are under load.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Misery loves company? I doubt many Tundra owners are feeling better because chevy also has a shake problem.
  • hunterdahunterda Member Posts: 5
    If your dealer won't or can't help you, contact Toyota's regional rep, I had a problem my tundra that the dealer couldn't fix and they contacted toyota. Shortly there after an engineer from their regional office jumped on a plane and was up here and fixed my truck in a day. Hope this helps. Good Luck
    The last time I experienced the shaking/vibration in my Tundra (Limited 4x2) was just before Christmas, though I haven't driven all that much since. I'm not convinced the problem just "went away", an explanation must be found at the very least. I'll get in touch with the regional Toyota rep, maybe he/she would like to spend a few days in Sonoma while we all shrug our shoulders. I fax these postings and others to my dealer regularly just to let them know I'm still not smiling as much as I could otherwise. I wonder what happens to them?

By the way, glad to see the end of the "my dick - your dick" debate. No truck is the perfect truck, and where a particular one excells in one aspect, it does so as a tradeoff and compromise in some other aspect. So, much as it simply boils down the choice that suits our requiremens, all trucks should do well what they were intended to do. And why not: cars too.
  • batesbo1batesbo1 Member Posts: 5
    I would purchase a Tundra today if I could be assured that Toyota has fixed the vibration problem ( or that they are even aware of it). Has anyone read or heard anything about Toyota's "official" answer to this issue?
  • kacostkacost Member Posts: 1
    I really enjoyed test driving a Tundra. But I am still wondering if the small back seat of the Tundra access cab is as annoying at it seems it could be compared to the roomy Silverado. Should this keep me from buying one.
    My truck is currently at the dealer's being looked at because of it's paulsey. The shakes that my truck has starts at around 62 mph (after I've been there for a few miles) and shudders the whole truck. To stop the truck from its epileptic fit, I have to slow to a stop and start all over again. To label it as a vibration is a misnomer. Of course the dealership denies any knowledge of other owners with this problem. Should the dealership fail to correct this problem, how do I get in contact with the regional representative?
  • bg4dgbg4dg Member Posts: 44
    I have seen a problem with brake drag that causes what some of you are describing. Check the brakes to see if they are really hot after freeway driving. The overheating and distortion of the rotors can cause this, and the dealer will NEVER find it with the truck sitting in the shop. Sometimes the brake rod between the booster and master cylinder is adjusted wrong. This causes a slight pressure in the brakes that builds as the heating increases, causing more drag etc. It is only a problem at higher speeds.
  • rjcurryrjcurry Member Posts: 8
    I've been reading these postings for awhile and used the info to make my decision. I'm a car buying nut and have owned far too many vehicles. The Toyota/Lexus line have been the best all around type vehicles. I recently purchased a 2000 Tundra Access Limited 2 wheel drive. I got the factory leather and swaped the wheels for the Inche(sp?) wheels and Michelen tires. I too had a slight vibration between 50 and 60 mph. I'm in Alabama so South East Toyota had put the wheels and tires on the truck. I had the tires balanced at the dealer which has a balancing unit that puts 700 lbs on the tire while balancing. I was told this is the latest most advanced unit and allows to balance for out of round tires. I was told every tire was out of balance. Now it is smooth as glass at all speeds. I do wish the 3.9 rear end was a 3.5 and the engine had VVT engine, this would give it better gas mileage. I get 15.5 local driving and 18 mpg hwy. I do love the truck and I'm a very demanding driver. I sold a Ford F350 dually diesel (it was really too big for me)to buy the Tundra. I have owned several Fords and was happy with them but the quality and reputation have led me back to Toyota.
  • aling1aling1 Member Posts: 225
    If I'm not mistaken, the 4.7L V8 does have VVT-i, the first ever application of it in a pickup truck.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    The Tundra 4.7L V8 does not have variable valve timing, i.e. Toyota VVT-i. What it does have is Dual Overhead Cams (DOHC) with 4 valves per cylinder. This is the technology that is a first in a pickup.

Regarding vibration, I have none whatsoever on my new (manufactured 1/7/00, purchased 1/14/00) Tundra 4X4 V8 SR5 Access Cab with the factory aluminum wheel option (AL) and 265 Dunlop tires. I've got about 800 miles on it.

I wonder if some of the vibration problems being reported are related to dealer or distributer installed wheels and tires that may not be balanced properly combined with the sensitive rack and pinion steering on the Tundra. Just a thought.
  • evcvevcv Member Posts: 16
    I too had a case of the "paulseys". A few days after I took delivery in July , I was accelerating on the freeway and at about 60mph, the truck started to shake as if I had a flat tire - pretty violently. The shaking persisted until I pulled off the freeway to check for a flat tire. No flat. This episode happened to me twice in the first 1000 miles. After the first episode, I found that the tire inflation were all over the place: ranging from 25 to 42 psi. I quickly reset all to about 32 psi, and ultimately ended up at 28psi (245x70x16). Just to take precautions, I had the wheels rebalanced with the new "Hunter" balancer at 1500miles. I now have 5500 miles and no complaints.

My understanding is that the condition is related to: tire sidewall stiffness and roundness manufacture, balancing, alignment, and primarily found on the 4x2s (this makes sense because they inherently have a large rotating mass opposing lateral movement since the front drive axels are spining at wheel speed.

At 1500 miles, I did notice that my front tires outside edges were feathering. I ultimately worked out a deal with Toyota to replace my tires and steel rims with Michelin LTX M&S and factory alloy rims (I had to kick in some cash to make this happen, but the amount I paid was fair.

Summarizing: I understand the condition is now under control since Toyota has implented changes to the tire/whee/ and alignment, and tire selections.

Good Luck.
    The dealer adjusted my parking brake and the truck hasn't gotten the shakes in the last 250 miles. I'm taking a long trip this weekend and believe this will test their repairs. I love my Tundra and am looking forward to having a truck that won't rattle what I have left in my head like a baby toy.
  • joe190joe190 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I think that what we are experiencing is two different problems. I have gone/ am going through them now with my v8 ltd 2wd access cab.

The first vibration was pretty substantial and happend at just about any speed, though I noticed it more after longer drives. Brought it to the dealer and they claimed to have fixed it by changing the back right brake setup. I believe it was too tight and caused the brake to overheat. I think there is a better technical description earlier in this thread.

The second vibration was less substantial and feels much more like a balance/alignment issue. i.e. slight vibration at times no matter what speed combined with a sort of harmonic effect. Took it in again last week and the dealer re-balanced the tires. I have noticed about 60%-70% less vibration, but it is still there. The harmonic effect seems to be gone though.

I'm going to see how she handles for the next week or so and try to get a better handle on the new feel before brining it back in.
  • grtwytgrtwyt Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to this site but all too familure with the shak'in / vibration problem. Eight trips to the dealer for repair has gotten me no where. I have started the process of arbitration. The shaking steering wheel is not right for any manufacturer let alone Toyota. I have been a good Toyota customer for many years, they better take care of me if they want to retain me as a customer.

GRTWYT
  • joestapletonjoestapleton Member Posts: 15
    I know there isn't one answer for all of the Tundra vibration problems but the most commom I have found is in the tire and wheel balancing. (this goes for all makes of trucks also) I have had the same problem from new with my T-100 x cab from 1995 and continued complaining to my dealer about balancing and vibrations at about 60MPH on the Goodyear Tires that came on the truck.( poor tires ) After changing to Les Swab Tires two years later the vibration re-ocurred at a different speed. Repeated balancing smoothed out the vibration but didn't totally cure it as I found out one of the tires was out of round.
    Finally after 75k miles I went to Michelin Tires (LTX Mud M&S) and SUPRISE, No More Vibration and a VERY smooth ride. It almost rides like a Tundra. My friend bought a Tundra and no vibrations yet with his Dunlops.
    I had heard about Michelin Tire and Balance quality before but I was slow to learn. Discount Tire installed and balanced these tires upon purchase and they were smooth as silk. I cannot believe the difference. I even called back Discount (which I never do) and thanked them for a Superior Tire that gave me a better ride than new and absolutely No Vibrations. 6000k so far on the new tires and No More Vibrations! Joe.
  • bob2016bob2016 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a new truck. I was considering Ford, Dodge & Toyota Tundra. I had my mind set on the Tundra, if I can get right with a dealer on price. Then I came to this sight. I guess I am a little new to this sight, but it brought up some concerns about spending this much money when there are some issues I don't understand. I hope that some of you that are Tundra owners can clarify.
    I have read about a number of Tundras have developed the shakes or a vibration. Has this issue been solved by your dealer and if so how? I would like to hear about the permanent cure (there seem to be several areas pursued as a remedy - tires, wheels, brakes).
    Next there seems to be an issue with a class IV hitch and some Federal regulation on the Tundra "Limited" series. What is it?
    Is there anyone who is completely unhappy with their Tundra & why. Thanks, bob2016
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    First, I have had my Tundra since June 3. I have over 18,700 miles and have had no problems, not even the vibrations.

Secondly, and most important, DO NOT LISTEN TO RUBLUETOO. He knows nothing about the Tundra and spreads falsehoods. He is pure trouble.
    I have had my Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4 since 1/14/00 (truck was manufactured 1/7/00) and have about 1600 miles on. No vibrations whatsoever. I have not had any of the problems identified on the boards. The truck has been flawless. I have the factory AL wheel option (Alum wheels w/Dunlop P265 tires like on the Limited) and really like the ride and traction that they provide. I would be more concerned with any of the distributor installed wheel/tire packages.

I took a buddy of mine that has a 98 Ford Lariat 4X4 for a spin in the Tundra. He seemed to be impressed with the ride and power. He said that if he can't get Ford to fix the nagging electrical problems that he has been having that he may be in the market for a new Tundra.
  • king1king1 Member Posts: 5
    Did you get hit by a Toyota when you were a kid, or is it just the fact you have to sell your trailer home before you can buy a Toyota ???

"pull that head outa that hole" NICE LANGUAGE
    Sorry you did not graduate high school......
  • bg4dgbg4dg Member Posts: 44
    At least the ones who have problems are getting the dealers to try a fix. I've had nothing but BS from GM on my shaking and vibrating '00 Z71.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    bob2016,
    I'm a Ford driver and happy with that decision. Like all Internet postings, there are some by people that have an axe to grind (so to speak). Others do not know how to speak in positive terms.

There are a few things that I've noted from the postings. Some people are complaining of a front end vibration. Some of these problems were fixed by a re-balance of tires and other vibration problems were cured by a factory directed adjustment of the position (?) or the right rear braking system. Other people have complained that tires need to be balanced several times.

IMO the right rear brake thing MIGHT be causing the vibration because the steering needs to be aimed left to counter the right rear drag. It sounds logical.

As for the re-balance thing; first I don't believe that the dealer (Toyota or tire) personnel are incompetent in the use of the balance machine. Second, if the first is true, then there has to be an external cause to the balancing problems. My guess is that the tires are rotating (i.e. SLIPPING) around on the rim. This could be caused by all kinds of compounds used in the finishing of the rims. If it were me, the second re-balance I would request that the rim and dismounted tire be washed with a good detergent.

In either case these are anoyances that can be resolved rather than any type of a serious defect.

There is one thing that does concern me about these reported vibrations. Why should the Tundra be so sensitive to these vibrations, that I find rather illogical. It could be a few owners with buyer's remorse, I DON'T KNOW.

Also from what I've heard, the Tundra is expensive for the size of the truck. My F-250, SD, SC, 7.3L Diesel with almost everything for $29,100.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Rich
    One thing that may make the Tundra and the new Silverado 4x2s sensitive to wheel balance is the fact that they use rack-and-pinion steering. This is new for a full size truck. Rack-and-pinion is very tight and more responsive than the steering gear found in previous generation trucks. It's more typical to find this steering on sports cars that have tires that flex less than on trucks. Just a thought. Another thing, way back in the Tundra posts, Framehog, who said he worked at TMMI, said that they had had some problems with some of the early wheels. But he said those problems had been corrected by the wheel supplier.

By the way, my new Tundra 4x4 (manuf. 1/7/00) with the factory alum. wheels and P265 Dunlops has 1700 miles and not a hint of vibration at any speed.
  • emruzekemruzek Member Posts: 24
    rrichf- I have been through lots with this tundra and shaking, and am STILL trying to get it fixed!!! I've had it for 9 months now. If I had buyer's remorse, I would have owned a big3 3 days after my purchase!!!! Only problem- the big3 won't give me any money for an obviously shaking paulsey ride on the freeway.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    emruzek,
    I was going to answer you earlier but I wanted to think about it. Assuming that tire balance and the right rear thing are fixed...

I'm trying to be logical here. If the truck is going back to the dealer and the dealer sets the truck up according to specifications and then the truck is going back to the dealer and the dealer sets the truck up according to specifications... Maybe the specifications aren't quite right???

I would take the Tundra to a independent front end shop. Ask if a slightly increased caster adjustment would solve the problem. (Caster is what makes the vehicle return to straight ahead when you let go of the wheel in a turn.) The caster adjustment won't wear tires so it should be safe to adjust to an extra half degree or so.

My guess is that the caster is set right on the edge and it causes the steering to react to every bit of play in the system.

Rich
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I agree with that. But caster and camber is not adjustable on all vehicles. Don't know on the Tundra.
This discussion has been closed.