Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A3

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I read a report last night written by an individual who works for an Audi store that claims that AoA has informed his store that the A3 2.0T (both 6MT and DSG) will be available with AWD for the 2007 model year. In addition, the S3 2.0T (with two turbochargers putting out > 300HP) will debut in North America during the 2007 model year as well.

Is this really going to come to pass? I have no idea, however, the individual who wrote the report is usually reliable when it comes to this type of information.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,715
    Fingers x'ed Audi USA will offer a better selection of A3's!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    AWD, 300 hp...That'd be some little car!

la4mead, can't help much on the picture front - I'm a really bad tourist. my girlfriend keeps bugging me for pics so I sent her one I shot up my nose. she was not amused. do you want that pic? I spent 3 weeks in Paris last year and took maybe 25 pictures.
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    Audi is having a "Streets of Tomorrow" event I will attend next month. In addition to introducing the Q7, they promise to have engineers and product experts to meet and talk with. These are great questions I will ask.
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    That's a different kind of "pic"... She's right in checking up on you.
    If you visit the audi web site you can sign up for "The Streets of Tomorrow" near your area, assuming you have a drivers license. ;)
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,486
    No show in Tampa Bay :cry: :mad:

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    No show in Boston either. :-(
  • I have a question regarding standard features that are listed on audiusa website but missing in the car. On Audiusa site, there is a feature call "alarm with tilt sensor" listed as standard feature for the A3 vehicles. This feature have been removed on all post 06 build vehicles. Is there anyone else aware of this? I've had an A4 and TT and found this feature great. Now, after taken delivery of my A3. I've notice the button to disable tilt sensor was not where the manual have indicated. I've pointed out this issue to my service and sale manager and they were surprised of this. I then called Audi customer relation and after a week of what they called research on this issue. They called and told me that Audi reserve the rights to make changes to there vehicles to improve the quality of there cars, bla, bla, bla... So, now all A3 do not come with alarm and tilt sensor as listed on there current website. I understand this feature is not so big of a deal but what are the rights for the customers? When customers expected something as standard feature then later finds out that it's not installed.
    I've been driving Audis most of my life and this little thing is going to make me buy other brand.
    ..is many auto websites are not kept properly updated, and are lagging wrt what their current vehicles offer.

Mfr websites are very good for getting generalities. But I guess the only way to be sure about what you get is, after getting general details from the site, to visit your friendly, __reputable__ dealer and discuss what's actually available in the car you can buy.

Would be interesting to learn why Audi discontinued the feature you wanted (cost? reliability? Nobody else wanted it?).
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    I understand this feature is not so big of a deal...

And then you say:

I've been driving Audis most of my life and this little thing is going to make me buy other brand.

That's a bit dramatic! By the way, it seems as if you downgraded; TT to A3? I love my A3, but after a $40,000+ coupe/roadster I wouldn't go to a $30,000 hatch. Mine is a "spare". I have an S4 Cabriolet as I have told almost everyone here (haha not to brag), and the A3 is a nifty little car. I use it all the time in the winter, and my son and daughter do when they come home from college/law school.

I don't think a missing tilt-sensor would turn me off so completely that I'd stop buying from the company I've trusted for 7 years, let alone my whole life. Audis are quality products, and much better in the bang-for-your-buck department than BMW and Mercedes-Benz.

When I was looking for my A3, I also looked to my local BMW dealer to check out a used 325xi, or 330xi. I talked to a young man, he said he would get a salesman, and I waited tweny minutes while my son was boring himself silly sitting in an X5. Eventually, when they didn't come back, I left. They were all laughing and having a good time (holiday season); no one seemed to notice. I'm treated like a king at my Audi dealer.
    commented recently on how much Audi remains in BMW's shadow, and what it's doing to get out of it (includes new edgier models, overhauling dealerships, etc). They commented Audi quality has improved as well.

The Audi '07 Ride and Drive experience harks back to GM's AUTOSHOW IN MOTION, the latter proving a great way to drive a whole bunch of cars in a short time.
    There's only one thing I don't want Audi to do...

...stoop low enough to start producing niche cars (CLS, R-Class, X7 rumor, etc).

Otherwise, the new models from 2007-2010:
    Q7, RS4, S6, S8, R8 sports car, A4, A6 refresh, S4, A5, Q5, A3

Really looks like they're ready to kick some BMW butt!
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    GGgrrr Im so tired of waiting for tease's for good stuff comming from Audi/VW.... :mad:

DL
    I know and Audi is even slower than Volkswagen to announce new models! (Let alone bring them to market)

The RS6 should've come this year, not next year! The A6 model line should be one year behind the 5 Series's- it came out a year later. Of course, Audi always has to perfect their cars in every possible way.

The RS6 should rock the midsize ultra sedan world! A rumored 550+hp FSI V10, part-alluminum spaceframe, gorgeous bodykit and possible 20" rims. Of course, 19s will most likely be standard.
    ..liked it, but felt it didn't offer enough performance for the extra bucks, and suggested getting the 2.0 T instead.
    C&D said the same. Both bitched about the A3 weight (as they did about the new GTI weight).

Sheeeeesh..... The extra #'s one reason Audi's do so well in crash tests (strong body!)!
    The weight of the car has little to do with the vehicle's ability to survive a crash. Weight = safety is 1950's engineering. A Ferrari Enzo weighs under 3000 lbs and I'd rather be in one of those in a crash than an Audi A3.
  • spektrespektre Posts: 80
    Agreed - look at the Smart crash results.
    All true provided you're not just run over by a distracted soccer mom in a Ford Excursion.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Weight is a factor with car safety - many studies prove that in accidents heavier cars come out ahead. Fortunately, Audi and a few other makers put the weight to good use with beefed up structures for safety and a solid feel.

And Isn't it also true that Audi is one of the few mfrs that use continuous seam welding rather than spot welding.
    Weight is the enemy of fun. Fat cars - like the audi S4 cab for instance - are too heavy to be really fun.

A good structure needn't be heavy to be sound. Again, you're confusing 1950's myths and engineering with the facts of today. You can make far more structurally sound and fun cars with lighter polymers/aluminum/etc than old school metals.
    I would say that extra 100 pounds is not likely make you safer, but extra 3000 may, at least during certain types of accidents. It may or may not mean greater overall safety of large vehicles, though, as there are other important safety factors, ofter simply ignored by public, such as much greater accident avoidance ability due to much better handling (active safety) and better crashworthiness performance in other types of crashes (e.g. rollover).

If I had to pick safest types of cars overall, it would be:
    1. midsize and full-size sedans/wagons (best balance of "active" and "passive" safety, longest record of applications, best recognized in safety R&D),
    2. car-based SUV crossovers (a bit worse rideability but offset by weight and sitting position allowing for better road view; also relatively new to the market, which may result in safety aspects that we are yet to discover - one thing comes in mind is structural rigidity, as those vehicles are developed from smaller vehicle platforms, which may adversely impact their structural performance),
    3. exotic sports cars (I have yet to hear about a elebrity killed in their Porsche, even though there were plenty of accidents reported),
    4. Truck-based SUVs and minivans (terrible driving but better road view and more mass help in head-ons, awful in rollovers),
    5. Small econo-cars (not so many safety features on board)
    6. The award for worst vehicles on the road goes to pickup trucks, especially those "compact" ones, for awkward driving characteristics and often subpar safety equipment.

This is not adjusted for driver's personality, which may drastically reduce certain car safety - insurance guys hate sports cars, as they see them being driven by risk-prone people, thus they are deemed "unsafe" regardless of their actual safety performance (laws of physics cannot be overcome at 120 mph regardless of any ABS, ESP, VSC, SC, CIA or FBI installed).

Fat cars - like the audi S4 cab for instance - are too heavy to be really fun.

You couldn't have offended me more if you tried. I happen to have an S4 Cabriolet- and you don't seem to know the definition of "fun".

The car's my baby, and it blows away about 95% of the others on the street. I love it- it has beauty, luxury, smooth performance, acceleration- all in one trouble-free package. It's a luxo sports car without the drama, or the price tag stigma (CLK55!).

Could you please make sure no one in here has an S4 Cabriolet before you put it down? The car is too much fun. It's addictive!
    james Dean??
    Ha, I don't think he meant that personal. Don't be offended. It is a bit of a porker. Funnier story when my friends and I many many moon's ago were going off to college, I had made a comment about how retarded is a mascot called a horned frog ? Little did I know one of the Guy's had signed with TCU .. ooops :blush:

DL
    James Dean, indeed. But that was way before car safety was even a concept.

Thanks- funny story!

I'd still like to hear from him, though...

That hurt!

Saw a black S4 Cab with amazing 19" rims the other day... and the next day, I saw another black one with BBS wheels! Makes me want to get aftermarket rims, but the standard Avus wheels are beautiful.
    Put big rims on a car and unless they are forged alloy you're adding unsprung weight to every wheel - the spoiler for that bumpy washboard road you want your wheels to stick fast to!

I wonder how much light weight alloy Audi uses in their mainstream models' frames and body structures?

Anyway, May 7 is when the Audi show rolls into town and I'm looking forward to driving some Audis w/o the dealer hassle.
    S4 cab is pretty and that v8 is nice but like the M3 cab (even the cooper convertible is pudgy vis-a-vis the normal car) it's seriously overweight.

Nearly 4100 lbs in a sporting car is too much for my tastes. Sorry if I offended. Drop the weight by 1000 lbs and I wouldn't be saying it.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    The S4 is flat out fun. You can sort of make the argument of overweight, but that's gonna come out in almost every car with the exception of exotics. [and even them sometimes] I'm not a convertible guy at all but speaking to the sedan it's a freaking blast. Most advanced cars are being made out of hi-tech low weight materials but the safety and luxury options put the weight back on. Name a car in the same class as the S4 that doesn't have this weight problem you speak of.
    If you want something 1000 lbs lighter with the same power you are looking in a completely different category. Lotus perhaps [not even sure about that] but try a roadie in that thing and you'll be praying for the S4. Ridiculous :confuse: