Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I like it because its sporty and light enough to not get to 200 degrees F on a hot California summer afternoon.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • nagatahawknagatahawk Member Posts: 12
    I just test drove the A3 S line with DSG,
    it was more car than what I was first considering but the car is built very well.
    The S line suspension was not harsh at all. I most have a harder but than most! I've always had a manual, but the DSG can shift as though your in a Formula car. the down shifts with rev matching is awesome.
    They gave me an good offer, but maintenance service has been dropped, so I will ponder this for a couple of days more.
    if I can get a decent offer on a speed3 i may have to go there. Has anyone tested one of the Speed3's?
    I haven't tested the MAZDA SPEED3 but Audi definitely has a direct competitor now. It comes down to do you want the safer car with a higher quality luxury interior, or do you want the rocket fast regular grade interior?

Mazda's warranty is lowered and now sucks. That is far more of a let down than Audi dropping maintenance in my opinion.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    which did well in its satisfaction ratings and managed an "average" for reliability (far better than most euro brands).

CU tested the regular 2.0T, not the 3.2 S-line.
    I think the A3 would have scored "above average on CR" had it not been for the sunshade and opensky debacle (with the latch that broke on almost every vehicle). W/O the opensky, you don't have that half black circle on body hardware/integrity; and hence, above average.
  • big_robbig_rob Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have any info on possible changes for 2008 A3?
  • tsx24tsx24 Member Posts: 85
    Yes I visited the Dealer and they had ordering info on the 2008. There is ~ $500 increase in msrp, however the currently optional Symphony 6CD is now standard. I believe trip computer is also standard. Options have also changed
    Sport Package $2500 (now includes power driver seat)
    Premium Package $1500 (no change in equipment)
    No Technology Package. Adaptive Bi-Xenon separate option for $800
    Addition of Convenience Package $350 (Auto-Dim Mirror w/ Compass, Auto Rain/Light Sensor)
    Additional Option of Manual Rear Side Sunshades $150
    Those were the major changes. I will check with the hard copy I received to confirm this information.
    Let me add:
    Heated Seats are now available for $450 (Full Cold Weather still available for $700).
    Open Sky now requires selection of Sport or Premium Packages
    $400 optional wood trim
    Here are the full spec changes for 2008
    MSRP up: 6-man $25,930 - DSG $27,410 (excludes destination).

Currently optional Symphony 6CD is now standard. I believe trip computer is also standard.

Options have also changed:

Sport Package $2500 (now includes power driver seat)

Premium Package $1500 (no change in equipment)

No Technology Package. Adaptive Bi-Xenon separate option for $800

Addition of Convenience Package $350 (Auto-Dim Mirror w/ Compass, Auto Rain/Light Sensor)

Additional Option of Manual Rear Side Sunshades $150

Heated Seats are now available for $450 (Full Cold Weather still available for $700).

Open Sky now requires selection of Sport or Premium Packages

$400 optional brown walnut wood trim (with premium package)

Titanium Package $1500 Piano black trim, black styling grille and window trim, 18" 7-double spoke titanium wheels, summer tires, black headliner.

18" wheels and summer tires $1000
    Ipod Glove Box connection $250

That covers all the 2008 changes.
    back in free maintenance if they are going to keep raising prices.

I don't understand why they took it out in the first place.

Maybe they can do something different, like offer a free set of replacement summer tires when your originals wear out! That would be nice!
  • balaboy1balaboy1 Member Posts: 1
    Had my 2007 Brilliant Red with Charcoal cloth interior 2.0T with a 6-speed manual for about a month now and am in heaven! Having traded in an A4 2.8 Quattro on it, I considered buying the Quattro, 6cylinder DSG, but, opted for the fewer bells-and-whistles manual 2.0 Turbo. Best decision I've made in quite awhile.

My little bright red pocket-rocket is a head-turner! It drives like a sports car and, in true German car fashion, has the quality I demand in a car.

I hesitated to buy a 4-cylinder, thinking...wrongly, it turned out...that a 4 meant no power and no fun. Wrong! The car will get away from you if you're not ready, will shoot up to 80 on the Expressway in seconds and will even kick you in the pants with power in 6th gear at 70!

In short, don't spend $35k, or more, on a 6 with DSG and Quattro if you're a "driver"; save ten-grand and buy the basic car: basic color, basic interior, six-manual and 2.0 Turbo four.

It's a sports car. It's a sedan. It's a baby SUV. It's all those...and more...and, I'm still getting over 30mpg highway! I love this car!
    Audi's Maintenance Package is selling for $590. They claim the maintenance retail value is $1000 so you save 40%. I would like some opinions if you feel it is worth the $590 (no tax). The standard 5000 mile change is free. The Maintenance Plan includes 4 services:
    15,000 mile
    25,000 mile
    35,000 mile
    45,000 mile

Since I figure synthetic oil is about $100 per change, plus all the inspections, air filters etc, is this a good value?
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    I think it has a value, but I would dispute thousand dollar claim. I depends how things are calculated - I'm sure the dealer would not see full retail price paid by Audi for the service - and many dealerships run their dicount coupons bringing their street prices more in line with local market conditions. So it all depends where you live and what are the real "street" prices for the services.

$100 for an oil change is a lot for my taste, but if it includes a few more things than just a gourmet coffee in the waiting room, it may be justified. For example, you can get and full synthetic Mobil 1 at Walmart for $22-25/5 quarts, but I'm not sure if its spec is Audi approved. If not and the dealer is not cheating and uses one that is indeed approved (but who knows what they really put in there) than the $100 price may have some justification.

One more point - I read somewher that if you lease, the plan adds something like 1 or 2 percent to the std Audi lease. If it's the case then it is a really good value as it pretty much recovers good portion of it right in your payment reduction. However, if you lease for short mileage/short term than you will not benefit from the later maintenance done on it. Is the plan forfeit at lease disposal or does it transfer to the next owner? That would be another good question to somebody who knows.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "For example, you can get and full synthetic Mobil 1 at Walmart for $22-25/5 quarts, but I'm not sure if its spec is Audi approved."

I've bought Mobil 1 0W-40 (VW/Audi 502.00 & 503.01 certified) from Walmart two or three times now. They sell it by the six-pack case. ;-) There is however the filter to consider.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    So your six-pack was $28-30, wasn't it? The filter cannot be more than $10 wholesale (probably much less). Retail - hmmmm....

2018 430i Gran Coupe

I'm thinking that the last time around it was something right in your $28-$30 range (and we don't pay sales tax here in New Hamster).

Regarding a VWoA/Audi filter, don't know, I've never bought one and it is looking like I won't be buying one for quite some time. In fact, it is looking like I won't be buying oil and or filters for a car (any car) for a couple of years at least. :-(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    In the Maintenance Plan brochure it said it was transferable one time only.

Also while I was at the parts department, I saw about 50 cases of Castrol Syntec 5-W40 sitting all around the shop. I believe that is one of the approved oils...this was at Hoehn Audi in Carlsbad.

I think I may go ahead with the maintenance plan. The Finance person stated the price may go up, as the original plan was $490, and now it is $590. You have until 12 months/12k miles to purchase the plan.

I don't think it's so bad to raise prices, as long as they are adding more standard equipment.

I heard 2.0T quattro will be available late 2008 model, or 2009. Although with the 2010 re-fresh we will probably see it at that time.
    Yes, Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is one of the approved oils, however, it only meets the minimal 502.00 oil spec and not the higher 503.01 standard. Me personally, I wouldn't use that oil in my car unless I was only planning on leasing the car for a couple of years.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Do you mean 505 01? I do not see a 503 01 on the Bulletin...?
    I had some trouble at the Parts department of my local Audi dealer finding some Cargo parts for my A3. One is a regular Cargo Net (not the small net that attaches to the cargo cover). It's the net you see in the Edmunds photos.
    The other item is a Cargo Mat, that has the ability to fold over the back seats when they are folded down. The dealer said they do not carry the items, and do not see an order number. Has anyone purchased these items from a dealer, or do you know where to get them?
    "Do you mean 505 01? I do not see a 503 01 on the Bulletin...?"

No, I mean 503.01. The 505.01 oil spec is specifically meant for diesel engines, the 503.01 oil spec is VWs most stringent gasoline engine oil, meant for the likes of all of the high output engines for both VW and Audi.

Please see the following post for a complete rundown on all VW oil specs:

shipo, "Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues" #8, 10 Mar 2006 9:48 pm

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thank you, I noticed that you mentioned the 2 oils from Mobil 1 and Castrol that meet the 503.01 standard. Has Audi/VW provided a Bulletin of the 503.01 oils?
    I assume that they have. I have one brother who has one of the more powerful Audi TTs, and it requires 503.01 oil, and my other brother has a W8 Passat, and it also requires 503.01 oil. If you call VWoA or Audi-USA and tell them that you have one of the above cars, I'm sure that they'll send you all kinds of good stuff on that oil.

For my part, I started using Mobil 1 0W-40 because it was one of the few oils available here in the U.S.A. that was certified for my BMWs (BMW LL-01 oil spec), and as a general rule, oils that meet LL-01 also meet 503.01.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I came across that bulletin one time on Audi or VW website. It was pretty much list of all oild brand and grades that conformed to their specs.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

The only Technical Bulletin I see that they have on their website is the 502.00 and 505.01
    I dont' have Audi/VW, so I just glanced. Sorry if misled.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• sastrybsastryb Member Posts: 6
    I just took delivery of my 2007 A3 (so long Saab 9-3). I am trying to figure out is there are some features/ accessories missing, when I expected them to be included.

My configuration is the A3 2.0T w/ Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Open Sky Roof.

1) Should the auto-dimming mirror (in the Technology package) also have a digital compass?

2) Should I have received a cargo net (the one that covers the floor of the rear hatch area?

3) Should there be a storage bin under the driver's seat?

Thanks for any help.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    I have an 06...check under the passenger front seat for the storage bin!? Thats where mine is...

don
    Saw in another online mag a presentation of a VW GTI with the Patheon engine midships. Around 650 HP, RWD, slightly shorter wheelbase. Car was insanely quick and handled as if glued to the track.

Question:

Could Audi be successful if they followed the R8 formula for the A3:

1. Put a 350 - 500 HP engine in the A3 Quattro,
    2. Call it the A8
    3. Make only one version; S-line, but even more performance oriented.
    4. $50,000
    5. Buyer signs an agreement to let the Audi dealer get first crack at buying it back (just like they do for buyers of the R8).
    Why Call it A8 :surprise: :confuse: ????? There is already a car called that - it's an AWD limousine.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• dyendyen Member Posts: 9
    I have an '06 with Cold Weather and Premium Package but no Technology package. My auto-dimming mirror has no compass. I do have the cargo net, but no driver's side storage bin. Dealership said that it comes only on the passenger side. Love the car, but that seemed a bit miserly.
    1) Should the auto-dimming mirror (in the Technology package) also have a digital compass?

NO - This is on the A4, and is in the owners manual of the A3, however it is not a feature on the A3. I checked with my salesman on this one.

2) Should I have received a cargo net (the one that covers the floor of the rear hatch area?

NO - my understanding is that the 07 A3s come with the cargo cover, but not the cargo net. I actually tried to buy this from the parts department at the dealership but they did not even carry this - and could not find a part number. Let me know if you are able to locate it anywhere.

3) Should there be a storage bin under the driver's seat?
    NO - only under passenger seat.
    Another question regarding missing features. I read in the owners manual, as well as the specifications list, that the A3 comes with "Auto Dimming Side Mirrors". Does the A3 have this feature?
    2006 A3 Sport DSG 2.0T

19,000 miles and still kicking strong. Gas mileage averages about 25MPG in mixed driving. That is somewhat disappointing but I already knew the EPA was full of sh*t.

The 200 HP and 207 lb/ft of torque actually feels and drives like 240 HP and 240 lb/ft of torque. Very quick and fast when you want it to be.

DSG gets a 9.5 out of 10, very rare lapses in DSG logic to shift "smartly" the way I want it to in auto mode.

No mechanical issues or problems, fantastic. No warranty/dealer visits outside of my scheduled maintenance, at which time you can have them "fix or look at things." If need be. But really, except for my first maintenance at 5K (where I told them all of the things I should have caught at inspection on delivery), I haven't found anything wrong.

They did say it got a software update at the 15K mile maintenance period. I haven't noticed any difference.

Overall, I'd give the car a 9.5 out of 10. Very reliable and dependable, very well built, and no, I didn't get the opensky!
  • maxwell3maxwell3 Member Posts: 10
    does anyone know why the A3 doesn't have a NHTSA crash rating (front or side impact) for either the '06 or '07 model? I didn't see any ratings for the A3 on their website.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    No, but I think the IIHS rating is a more intense test that better reflects a vehicles safety crash worthiness.
  • ulfjohulfjoh Member Posts: 2
    I plan to buy the "Base Carrier Bars" roof rack system to my 2006 Audi A3 and wonder what you guys think about it. I plan to use it for two bikes (I know that I have to buy two bike carriers). Is it easy to use?

B.t.w I love my A3.

Thanks,
    /Kenneth
  • diggydoc1diggydoc1 Member Posts: 22
    Anyone know when the new model year typically comes out? I've never shopped Audi before, but I'm falling into mad love with the A3. '07 stock seems very limited.
  • yakrideryakrider Member Posts: 4
    dealer told me last week that alot of his a3's are at the port in baltimore now. he gave me no timetable as to when he would have them however. i really didn't ask.
  • txbosoxfantxbosoxfan Member Posts: 6
    The '08s are in. I have had mine for about 2 weeks. I purchased it in N. VA. It is a great car.
  • diggydoc1diggydoc1 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the information.

I've seen the post about changes for '08. Any change in the colors?
  • jondc212jondc212 Member Posts: 15
    soooo.. what should be done..

i am a post college student looking into buying a car.. my price range is in the 25kish.. i am struggling through an A3 or something more Japanese that will give me more reliability.

i ahve been struggling with whether i should get the a3 that is more fun and sporty but may have engine problems or other car problems down the road..

has anyone in there tenure with AUDI give me some good and legitimate suggestions on purchase of an AUDI..
    Based on my 22K mile experience so far with my A3 that I've had since April of last year, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

How long do you intend on keeping your Audi A3 if you buy one? If you are easily worried, get an extended warranty.

I'm not worried at all, it has been flawless mechanically and electrically. It's been more reliable than my '03 Accord Coupe, to be honest, and that was pretty reliable.

However, if I was betting on which one would reach 300,000 miles and 20 years of use, I'd bet on the Honda.

The way I look at it is this: it is a high performance machine and it will need a greater level of care and maintenance. Just put aside $100 a month for maintenance and repair that you'll use when and if needed. For instance, at 20,000 miles I just spent about $550 for 4 new high performance tires; I drive aggressively and go out on back country windy roads for fun occassionally.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    has anyone in there tenure with AUDI give me some good and legitimate suggestions on purchase of an AUDI..

I took an A4 Avant up to 123K with not a single major problem and very few minor ones, the worst being a bad auxiliary fan motor.

All things considered my Audi ran as well or better than anything I've owned in 40+ years of car ownership and that in cludes a couple of long term relationships with Hondas.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

what about Toyota? ;)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    what about Toyota?

I have no personal experience w Toyota ownership, apparently the guy wants something that offers a little more of a driving experience.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I wouldn't mind test driving one of those old Toyota Supra's.
    Consumers Union found the A3 average in reliability, and it's recomended by them. JDPOWERS found Audi in general below average, but superior to Volkswagon (a model of which the A3 is based on).

What may be more important to you is the quality of the local Audi dealership. In some parts of the USA there are very few (Portland OR is served by __one__ dealer).

I enjoyed my brief time driving an A3 S-line model, but would want good roads and clear skies to drive it.
  • gismo23gismo23 Member Posts: 1
    Shippo, at #2131, suggests Castrol Syntec 5W40 is junk. Why?
    I don't think he meant to imply it was junk; just that it is inferior to Mobil 1's 0W-40.