Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3

chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
I'm a big fan of Audi. I am hoping for the 3 door A3 to be here soon. I know the 5 door is coming first but that isnt the Hot hatch the 3 door is. If your listening Audi, do us right here in the states, give us your wonderful A3 hatch.
Tagged:

Comments

• vikdvikd Member Posts: 187
    ...I hope so! I really, really hope so... Wait, I have 2 kids and am already growing out of my GTI...oh well. Back to sports SEDAN shopping for me...

Regards... Vikd
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I'm wondering if they're thinking that bringing the 3 door over here would cut into GTi sales. Perhaps they'll market the 5 door as a GTi for people who need more doors (like me.)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    younger buyers like them cuz they don't have multiple cars so the GTI does OK but the more expensive Audi hatch would probably bust thru the price ceiling for hatches. Saab abandoned it's 3-door model a few years back.

Europeans of course don't have such silly prejudices but they too don't have mulitple cars for the most part.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I know most Americans are bigger is better people which is something I have yet to understand. I grew up riding in the back of my dad's R 17 and my mom's VW 411 and missed the whole Vista cruzer thing. Oh and no matter what anyone says I believe GM was the reason Saab moved away from the three door. If you will look at Saab's history they have made sedans also. My parents had a Saab 99 that was a sedan. But back to the A3. It is a great car. I hope the company can over look the US markets short mindedness and offer the 3 door to the few that love to drive these types of cars.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I saw an Audi A3 today in a parking garage in Cincinnati! Is it even on sale yet? I guess so, at least for this person!
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Europeans of course don't have such silly prejudices but they too don't have mulitple cars for the most part.
    It's not a silly prejudice, it's selecting greater practicality over less in the same car. Between a three door GTI and a five door A3, I know where I'd slap my money down.
  • asafonovasafonov Member Posts: 401
    If that's true - please confirm or disagree - I wonder how many people would pay a hefty premium over the already-expensive VW offerings for perhaps little more than a 4-circle badge. Oh wait, that's what many of us do with brand-engineered cars. Getting a A4/A6 inspired Passat for 2/3 of the price of an Audi is another thing...

I drove a rental A3 in Switzerland in the winter of 99, got a free upgrade from a cheaper Renault, don't remember why. Handled great, with 3 not-so-small people and some luggage. But still, priced at, extrapolating from Golfetta and A4 costs, 25-30k USD? Not a great bargain...
    the A3 5-door will have to sell for no more than $26/27....any more and you're in A4 Avant 1.8T territory. The A3 is no bargain in Europe and it won't be here.

• vikdvikd Member Posts: 187
    ...will only work, if at all, in 3 door config. It would have to truly be the entry level veh for Audi. Peoeple looking for 5 dr utility would look to cheaper, roomier offerings while people looking for a sporty hatch with a certain amount of cache may snag it up...they already do in GTI form; the GTI being the most substantial, in performance and relative refinement/lux, on the market now. I know that if the A3 was available when I purchased my GTI, I would have bought it then. I'd like one now but for the fact that the hatch is cramping my fatherhood responsibilities already...

Regards... Vikd
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I think he means Europeans don't have the idea that small cars should all be cheap cars. "price ceiling for hatches". In the USA a lot of people connect size with price. In small town america the average billy bob thinks because a GTI is small it should be priced like a KIA Rio. He can't understand the quality issues. Not to say Kias are bad cars they just can't match the materials of a VW/Audi
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We're going to slide this discussion on over to the Future Vehicles Board tomorrow.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• m3fanm3fan Member Posts: 30
    I sincerely hope Audi will bring the 3-door to North America.

I think they are trying to score bigger points with 5-door than Mercedes-Benz did with their C230 Coupe when it was introduced as a premium entry-level hatch/coupe.

Give me a 3-door Audi A3 with the new 2.0T, 200hp, 6-speed, price it around US$25k or CAD$35k and offer it in the fall of 2004 and I'll sign on the the dotted line now.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The hatch should be no more than $28K for the S3 performance model because if you price it higher, you'll be competing with your own A4.
  • zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    I was just flipping through the newest issue of Road and Track which had a small blurb on the 5 door A3 sport tourer. Although the magazine did not confirm that the 5-door would be making its way to the US, they said that it's to compete with the Mazda3.

I wish I could find a photo online, it looked amazing!
    A3 Sport Tourer
    A3 Sport Tourer

For your viewing pleasure. The photo of the orange/copper 5-door is the one featured in Road and Track. There is speculation that these photos are photoshops.

I sure hope it comes to the US!
    look like photo-shops. The grille is exactly the same as the grille on the upcoming Audi A6 that was previewed in Automobile a few months back.
    That's actually Audi's new grille. It's going to find its way to all Audi's by the next generation A4. I have a feeling that the first photo is fairly close to what we're going to see (the sketch in the photo is real)...

I misposted the second link (A3 Sport Tourer). I think this would actually be the photoshop (different rear-passenger window, different belt-line, different roofline). Road and Track comments on the design cues of the orange car shown on the sketch.
    That's actually Audi's new grille. It's going to find its way to all Audi's by the next generation A4. I have a feeling that the first photo is fairly close to what we're going to see (the sketch in the photo is real)...

I misposted the second link (A3 Sport Tourer). I think this would actually be the photoshop (different rear-passenger window, different belt-line, different roofline). Road and Track comments on the design cues of the orange car shown on the sketch.
    Does Audi want to bring in younger buyers (what Saab is doing with the 9-2X) or does it want to broaden the Audi brand?
    The A3 isn't really making the Audi brand any more broad than it already is. The A4 is quite compact and offers everything and more that an A3 can offer.

I'd say, making the model lineup more financially accessible to potential A3 buyers improves the chances of future Audi A4/A6 owners.
    making the Audi brand more affordable naturally bring in younger buyers, as more people with less income can finally sign and drive an Audi?
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    Since I still can't gt past the $30k mark, or even the $25k mark without hassle...most of the cars I love and treasure are just a bit out of reach...but the ideas of Saab 9-2X and Audi A3 might have me saving up.

Then again, I just read a sweet heart review of the new Volvo S40. I might have to go back and re-evaluate that one, since I liked the older version well enough to consider buying it. The new one is supposed to finally put Volvo on the field with the A4s, Passats, and 9-3s of the world, and be an affordable option to the S60, 3-series and C-series.

I do think the Audi A3 is a good looker though, well worth considering if they keep it affordable for the intenders of the market. Those people who would "if only."
    seems nice to me, along with the S40. The 9-3 is nice, and you can grab one under $30K. (Linear model)
    is ugly...they have posted some spy shots on the Edmund's 1-series discussion and I have to say...yuck!

Check that one off the list. Looks too much like the old Z3 Coupe, which had odd proportions to me...I don't like a car that looks like out of proportion.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I've seen two A3s driving through my neighborhood in LA now. A three door and a five door, both black. Really sharp looking. Obviously Audi is serious about bringing it to our market.
  • stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    Hey redrluv,

it's not possible to see a NEW 5-door A3 in LA, because the 5-door A3 doesn't exist yet, even here in Germany. Perhaps it was the old model built from 1996-2003?!
    It was the new body style for sure and had five doors. Didn't look big enough to be the A4 wagon and the 3 door was following close behind. Although, I only got a good close-up look at the three door when I saw it again a week later.

I have heard that the US market is only getting the 5 door so maybe it is being tested now? I was very surprised to see both really.
  • fineurfineur Member Posts: 1
    A current A4 owner, I have seen many A3s in Europe and they are very attractive. Also attractive and a bit smaller is the A2, which has gained in popularity in the last couple of years. Have seen many more of both vehicles on recent visits to Sweden and Norway. Predict they will be a hit in the US, particularly as higher gas prices bring Americans into the 21st century.
    back open...anyone have any info to share on the A3?
    What kind of car is this? I read somewhere a few years back that Audi claimed the A2 could get 100 MPG or something.
    Here are some pics of my Audi A2. It's competitor to MB's A-class here in Europe. It's built with Aluminum nad has a 1.4liter-diesel-engine with 90 hp. 0-60 time is around 10 sec and top-speed is 117 mph. Mileage is around 5 liters/100km. It costs around 26K Euros, leather, 17"-wheels, S-line package, Navigation etc included.

http://carpassion.com/de/usergarage.php?no=339
    A2 looks nice. Any chance it will make its way to the US?
    No, because production ends in 2005. There were/are not enough people willing to pay so much money for such a 'small' car.
    Yeah that is quite a lot of money for a small car. That could just about buy you an A4 here.
    not in the US, land of the SUV...

I saw an A3 in Phoenix a few weeks back doing some stress testing, I guess. I looked very nice, upscale and very Audi from the front, and all hatchback/grown-up Golf from the back.

Hurray!

Any chance they could squeeze the 134hp Diesel from the Passat into that bay and you would have a very cool ride that upgrades from the 100hp Golf nicely.

Anyone know what engines they plan to launch here in the US in the A3? I assume the 1.8T will be here, but what else?
    Over here Audi puts the following engines in the A3:
    - 1.6 105 hp
    - 1.6 FSI 115 hp
    - 2.0 FSI 150 hp
    - 3.2quattro 250 hp
    - 1.9 TDI 105 hp
    - 2.0 TDI 140 hp

Following engines are planned:

-2.0 TFSI 200 hp
    -2.0 TDI ~165 hp

No idea which models will come to the US, but from what I've heard only the 5-door-version will make it to you. It's will be called A3 'Sportsback'.

I've ordered a 2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI and will take delivery in 4 weeks. I'll post some pics.
    I am just a bit jealous...140hp diesel A3

If it priced under $27k, I might just be able to do it.

As it is, might have to reconsider a Passat Diesel or hang on to my car for another 24 months. 2007 model year will be the year of diesels in the US...as we move to the cleaner fuels.

But then again, I will have wasted about 1,000 gallons of fuel, if not more.
    looks like it'll accelerate the A3 REALLY fast!
    0-60 time for the 3.2 quattro is 6.3. But I have some Info, that there will be a 280 hp S3 and a 350 hp RS3. Don't know if these infos are true.

The 2.0 TDI is priced around 24K Euros.
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    I just saw pictures on the web of the 5-door Audi's bringing over here next year and it looks like... a Chevy Malibu Maxx.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    I don't think I'm seeing that.

Weird boxy thing with outre detailing:

Tasty smaller version A4 Avant:
    http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/25237

I guess you could say they're both wagons... }-]

Right now I'm focusing on the S4 Avant as the next gotta have it, but I won't be ready to shop for about 20 months! So by that time, I'm really hoping an S3 Sportback will be here. The size is perfect and the styling is Audi. Only thing I can't stand is the new grille treatment, but supposedly the tuners already have a fix in a body-colored bumper fill.

Bring it on, says I.
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    Germancarfans.com reports that the A3 will have 5 speed manual and 5 speed automatic for 2.0T, and a 6 speed DSG for 3.2 model. Other sources such as VWvortex and Audiworld report 6 speed transmissions for all models. Also, the pricing for the A3 will be interesting. Reports are stating that it will start around $25,000 for FWD 2.0T models. I think this is too high given that the A4 starts at around $26,000. Why would Audi price the A3 and A4 so close together? The Golf/Jetta and the Passat have about a $3000 difference. Audi needs to price the A3 significantly lower than the A4 imho.
    I saw an Audi A3 in Phoenix a few weeks back...and I can tell you that it looked nothing like a Malibu Maxx...more like a nicer Golf or a trimmed A4...I wouldn't be too worried.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    ...I doubt that Audi really can go much lower on the A3 price without losing money. I'd guess that you really have to compare it to the A4 Avant where the A3 would have more of a price advantage.

Frankly I don't care for the looks of the "guppy-grill" A3. I think that the A4 Avant is much snappier looking. OTOH, the A3 with the 3.2 engine and AWD might have a real performance advantage... especially in an S3 variant. Otherwise I will probably stick with the A4 series.

Byron
    02 1.8t Avant QMSP
    Here is the link to the official Audi pics of the Sportback.

http://www.audi.com/de/de/erlebniswelt/unterhaltung/multimedia_ga- lerie/bildgalerie/bildgalerie.jsp

This version of the A3 will make it to the USA.
    With this new model also comes a new 2.0T-engine, producing 200hp, also available with the 6-speed-DSG. Another engine for The US will be the 3.2 quattro (6-speed manual/DSG). Base price for the 3.2quattro will be around 30K.
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    30K base price for 3.2 quattro sounds about right. 25K for base 2.0T FWD sounds 2 to 3 K high to me.
    I'm still not warming up to it. I like the A4 grille better.
    Weird thing is, I'm starting to like it. I suspect the A3Q will be about the same size/weight as my '98 A4 Avant.

Make mine a 2.0T with DSG, Liquid Silver

More pix/specs and news...

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/audi_news/article_840.shtm- - l

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    I'm still not there on the grille, but if Tarik is right, and the tuners are ready...

That side shot is glorious. Just what the doctor ordered.

I wonder if a 4.2 would fit in there...
    }-]
    look great. I'm starting to warm up to the waterfall front grille. May 2005 introduction? When was BMW going to introduce the 2-Series? 2007, I last heard.