Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3

Comments

• stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    Here are some pics of my ebonyblack Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-line:

http://www.audi4ever.at/tb/auto.php?auto=1612&type=0&user- - =

Click on the button "Bilder" at the top of teh page... :-)
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    [typing, in a jealous rage]
    "Damn furriners!"

;-)

Looks great. Still missing a couple doors for my tastes, but this is a car to desire, IMO!
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    Steher....love your A3.

The interior to me looks more like an A4 Cab than a regular A4 (round vents, etc...)

anyway, its a fat car and I can't wait till I get to sell 'em
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    about the front end of your (very nice!)A3. Although it's an '05 model it appears to have the divided grille (like on an '04 A4/A6) rather than the Big Mouth look of the new '05 A6, which all '05 Audis were supposed to get.

What's the story?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    The 3-door version of the A3 will get the new grille in 2006 from what I know. And not all Audis will get the new grille in 2005, too. The A8 is supposed to keep it's divided grille (except the W12 has the big one), and the A4/s4 Cabrio won't get the divdied grille, too. But sooner or later all Audis will have thsi sooo good looking feature!
    The Audi UK site gallery has been updated for anyone who wants to take a look.

I like the idea of a DSG 3.2 Sportback, but is there any buzz on a potential S3 Sportback? Sure would be fun to drop into that 5.5 sec 0-60 range.

They've got 18 months to get it here. I like the GW green with a tan interior.

Please?

Audi?

Please? :-)
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Any idea of the dimensions of 5 door A3 {length , width, weight }
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    See germancarfans.com. They have an in depth article on the A3 dated 7-19-04 that has all specs including engine and transmission combos, gear ratios, performance and fuel economy numbers, dimensions and curb weights. However, you will need to convert the numbers from the metric system to our old fashioned USA units.
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    The A3 5-door SportBack is basically the same platform as the upcoming VW Golf V.

Overall Length: 4286 mm
    Wheelbase: 2578 mm
    Height: 1423 mm
    Width: 1765 mm
    Width w/ mirror:1959 mm
    Front track: 1531 mm
    Rear track: 1515 mm
    Front Headroom: 970 mm
    Rear Headroom: 938 mm

Can't find the legroom measurement, but Front legroom is the same as the current Golf/Jetta, and the Rear legroom is about 2.5 inches longer than the current Golf/Jetta.

2FastDre.
    First drive impressions from the October issues of several of the major car magazines have been published. They all seem to estimate 25k as the base price for the FWD, manual 2.0 turbo. By the time the A3 gets typically equipped with sunroof, metallic paint, tiptronic or DSG, leather, and heated seats--the price would be 29k plus. This would not include quattro AWD, bose stereo, zenons or other options that some buyers will want. Add these options and the price climbs to 32k plus. This is way too high! And it is definitely too close to the A4, which people will perceive to be a step up in the Audi line. The A3 is supposed to attract young buyers to the brand. Young buyers can't afford this.
    I bet Audi will blame lack of sales on the fact that it is a hatchback, and we Americans prefer sedans. I've heard this song and dance before, and I don't buy it. IMO, there is a market for hatches. But they have to price it right. Bottom line: base price needs to be closer to 22k with a typically equipped version at 26-27k for the FWD 2.0T. Otherwise it will flop. And high pricing will be the reason.
    Just imagine how expensive the 3.2 version will be when fully loaded with all options including navigation system. I would guess 38k or more, which is ridiculous.
  • andyandy Member Posts: 21
    I totally agree with you carman. I believe the A4 is less than 1k more than the A3. That is crazy.

Although after a year or so, the car will flop and can be had for 3-4k off sticker making it the price they should have had in the first place
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I partially agree.

The A3 should cost less than the A4 since it's on the cheaper PQ46 chassis. If it costs the same, I'd go for the A4, even though I'd prefer the smaller A3.

If it shares everything, other than the chassis, then the question really is how much does the chassis cost.

A new Audi with a 2.0T, leather, heated seats, scrap the sunroof for zenons, and DSG for under 30 does seem like a...relatively good deal. Make it 27 like the TSX and in my book there would be no comparison.

Or, a better question would be. How much more are you willing to pay for an A3 over a VW GTI?
    "Or, a better question would be. How much more are you willing to pay for an A3 over a VW GTI?"

For me, the answer is about 2k. Or Maybe a maximum of about 4k if the Audi is AWD and the GTI is FWD. It will be interesting to see how they both are priced.
    AWD R32 will be essentially twins (or triplets if you count the TT/3.2). The big difference is there is no DSG version of the R32 in the US, so far.

Smaller will be preferable for me. I'm not much interested in the current bloating of the compact class. They're becoming mid-sized, one and all!

So, for me, the price tag is of less importance than the feel and the capability. Doesn't mean the observation isn't valid, just means there may be an audience that will accept a relatively small price difference between certain configs of A3 and A4; maybe even a touch of overlap.
    the price differentials between versions of the Passat and the A4 are not great once you start adding options to the VW to bring it up to the equipment level of the A4 equivalent.

The October issues of R&T and Automobile0 have good skinny as well as divergent views on the prospects for the A4.

I agree, I tend to like smaller vehicles. My wife is always amazed because I'm fairly large and I'd easily go for an MR2. My wife on the other hand would prefer the Armada (a stretch version if available).

My original point was that if the A3 bumped into the A4 price margins, then the A4 being the more ‘sophisticated’ would sway me...maybe not all the way...the Sportback is nice, and like you said, if it does what you want it to do, more metal doesn't make it better

aren't always the same thing. My guess is that Audi dealers will have to do some discounting to move those A3 Sportbacks. I wonder what their US sales targets are?

• jesusjamesjesusjames Member Posts: 10
    I read in the new Motor Trend that this car is expected to start at 21K. I wonder where they heard that??? I was going to buy a Scion tC, but I'm thinking about waiting for this if it's only 5k more.... but if it costs 25k i'll be mad because I'll wish I just bought the Scion.

ALSO -- I like the Euro model tail lights more than the weird(?) USA ones. WAZZUP deZinah???
    Tail lights...

How are they different?
    Buy the Scion. There's no way an A3 comes in @ $21k, that's VW territory.

You could prolly get a stripper A3 in Europe for 21k Euros.

well it says in motor trend the cost will be 21k.
    THINK ABOUT IT. That's a good price. For 25k I could buy a Volvo V50 or The Saabaru - both are what I would consider more substantial cars. So I'm taking a wait and see attitude. BTW, I don't mind if all I get is a stripper for 21k.

The TAIL LIGHTS:
    US VERSION:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/pictures/V- - - EHICLE/2005/Audi/100394208/030636-E.jpg

EURO VERSION:

http://www.edv-schreiber.at/audi4ever/fdb/pics/1612_e78eda5f421e4- - - 4fa6b7be712b3b1b18e.jpg

Maybe they are different coz one's a 3 door?
    I suspect that Euro version is an older car, hence the older tailights. A3've been sold in Europe for some years now. IIRC the new car is at least the fourth gen car, that photo is a gen. III, analogous to my B5 A4.

Isn't it the same black three-dr. that was posted earlier in this thread?

As for strippers, there's no market in the US for Euro-style strippers
    with no air, cloth upholstery, stamped steel wheels, minimal safety features etc. so we won't get one---ergo $25k base (and those will be hard to come by cuz dealers won't order 'em.
    I don't consider MT a very reliable source for automotive info.

well the question becomes how serious they at Audi are about targeting the entry level. If they price the car at 25k instead of 21k, i'll buy something else and they will loose me forever.... meaning I won't be buying a4,a6,a8 as I get richer and older. Instead I'll be snapping up Lexi or other.
    Value:

I too have been comparing against the V50 (the Sportback). For an accurate comparison (not meaning to start a VS thread), you'd have to choose the T5 vs the 2.0T DSG to get a comparable performance (0-60 high 6's) and then add the 'extras'. When I option the V50 out I get just over 30K (not choosing many opts). Though you can do the ED with the Volvo; not sure why Audi hasn't developed this.

The A3 may not be a bad value at 25K, it all depends what standard features it comes with; as it should be well optioned being an Audi.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    There is one possible reliability advantage of the A3 over the A4: The A3's strut front suspension is not the same as the high maintenance A4 front links.

The real question is why not buy the new Golf instead?
    I would be happy to consider a 5 door 2.0T Golf. However, I have a hunch that VW will not make this combination available in the USA.
    I was not aware of any inherit problems or maintenance issues with the A4 front suspension. I tend to think of the suspension being relatively maintenance free, at least for 100K or so.

Golf instead? That was my question...I would have liked to see a small bump in the 2.0T rating for the A3. Nothing substantial, 5-10hp, but it would have distinguished it from the VW line; distinguished from a drive train perspective, not styling/interior appointments.

I suppose Audi assumes that people will move up to the 3.2 or S3 if they preferred/needed more output. Perhaps the 2.0T will have similar aftermarket modifications as the 1.8T did.
    There are some very minor issues with the A4 suspension. I had a bushing replaced (under warranty) and had to replace wheel bearings @ 95K but that was all in 123,000 miles.

• 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    Jesusjames, I get your Suzuki joke. Please slap me if I ever buy the Suzuki instead of an Audi. :)

Golf V 2.0T 5-door is called Golf V GTI 5-door in the rest of the world. VW considers North America to be the least crucial world market. However, Audi seems to pay more attention to USA than VW. As a current Golf TDI owner, I am waiting for either Golf V TDI or Audi A3 TDI. I think that my wait will be over in 2007.

BTW, if money was no object - 2005 A8 TDI V8 with every option would be my ride! This is why it's important for Audi to not screw up the A3 and TDI strategies. :)

2FastDre.
  • ttlttlttlttlttlttl Member Posts: 24
    this afternoon I saw a 2-door hatchback A3 on the road in the metro Detroit.
  • patrpatr Member Posts: 6
    It doesnt make sense to have the A3 in NA. Its popular in Europe for people who like quality but dont want to spend too much. You bring the same model to NA, and everyone thinks its the car to have. It will definitely be overpriced for what it is.

Just my 2 cents worth
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...if "everyone thinks it's the car to have"?
    FWIW, I certainly don't see this as being a sales leader at any price. Given the current and proposed upsizing of the market in general it will appear too small for most Americans, even in the sport-lux category.

And that's exactly why it interests me. The G35 is huge, and has sparked a competition for bulk in that segment. The 3-series, A4, IS300, are all on track to add bulk, and are thus moving out of my field of interest.

Enter the A3, which potentially is exactly the compact, nimble, fits-like-a-glove zip-about that will replace my IS300 SportCross. If it's half as good as it appears to be, price up to about $33K is not really an objection, IMO.

It will be, however, somewhat a niche car, from where I sit.
    they will surely satisfy the demand by shipping one [or less] to each dealer.
    33k is a death sentence for the A3. Think of all the other cars you can get for this price: Infiniti G35, Acura TL, Lexus IS300, Chrysler 330C Hemi, Audi's own A4, BMW 325, etc.
    There is absolutely no way we Americans are going to pay that much for an entry level hatchback. If they are not going to make the base price about 22k and have well equipped versions (AWD, tiptronic, premium pkg, heated seats and metallic paint) for 28 to 29k, then Audi should not even bother bringing the A3 here.
    maybe it was a typo. He meant 23k.
    No, no typo.

Give me a Quattro 3.2 DSG with full leather or leather and Alcantara, NAV, sport suspension and assorted goodies, and you've got an AWD replacement for the RWD IS300 SportCross I now drive which stickered at $35K and is as close to perfect as I've found.

Much of the perfection of the current IS, IMO, is in its size, which as Road and Track put it, in a comparo, is like: "...(going) from a Thunderbolt to a Spitfire, or a Stearman to a Pitts, to put it in aviation context. The IS 300 is really the sports car of this group, and it feels small, taut, nimble and fun. As one driver noted, you 'wear' this car more than any of the others."

John Q has shown he doesn't fully understand a car like that (unless it's a roadster), so therefore, in part all y'all are correct: a base model would have to be in the mid 20's or thereabouts to be a volume car. Why bother then? Why shop it over a Golf or Jetta? It certainly will not be typical "entry level", competing against things like Mazda 3s (which would be tough competition). If it's going to be a true entry-level, count me out; I'm looking for a touch of lux with a lot of sport, and in true compact form.

I think it'll be niche, when all is said and done. It will start just a bit below the A4 in base trim, and overlap in full regalia. I believe that's how the structure works in Europe, if I'm reading those numbers correctly...
    Nice post.

35k would be OK for a fully loaded 3.2 with every available option. However, I suspect the actual pricing for this configuration will be 40K.

Also, when I said entry level, I meant entry level in the Audi lineup. Not entry level compared to Mazda 3's or Honda Civics, etc.

Lastly, you state that the A3 in base trim will be just a bit below the A4 in base trim. All the reports in the car mags seem to back this up as the A3 is estimated to start at 25k, while the A4 starts at 26k. Audi should easily be able to put a 4k difference between the two because the A3 is built on the less expensive golf/jetta platform. The A4 is on same platform as the A6, which in V8 trim can list for over 55k. It seems to me that this latter platform would be much more refined and expensive than the golf/jetta platform. Therefore, why would anyone buy an A3 when they can have an A4 for only 1k more? I bet BMW won't price the 1 series and 3 series only 1k apart. Likewise, VW won't price the new golf/jetta and the new passat only 1k apart. Audi won't be able to get away with pricing the A3 and A4 so close together either IMHO. Especially in the USA where hatches are perceived to be inferior to sedans by the majority of people.
    Well, it actully sounds like we're sort of agreeing, I think, Carman. ;)

This car won't be a volume leader. It's a hatch/wag, and folks here just don't get that in the first place. Consider my car, for example. It's everything the A3 is, less Quattro, and plus RWD, which I personally consider advantageous. No one knows it even exists (regardless of trim level: base under 30K). It'll be pricey, but worth it where it counts, yet the average customer just won't get it, I'm thinking. Exceptional customers like me will!

BMW obviously knows what it's up against with the 1-series, which is why we're not only getting it late, but potentially not as a wagon, hatch or even sedan at all. Last I heard, it's the two-door for us, and they dropped the idea of the hatch. Is there more news there?
    I was converting currency this AM, Carman, and it looks as though your estimate for a 3.2 Quattro DSG may be low, and therefore mine is utter pie-in-the-sky!

Reality is I'd probably be better off upping the ante and pulling the trigger on the S4 Avant, which intrigues me greatly from a sleeper perspective if nothing else (and there's plenty "else"!).

Interesting...
    I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I am still in utter disbelief that Audi will price the A3 and A4 right on top of each other. What on earth are they thinking?
    The A3 platform is smaller, less expensive, most likely will be less refined in ride comfort and NVH characteristics, and probably will offer less crash protection compared to the A4/A6 platform.
    I repeat, almost no one will buy the A3 at a virtually identical price to an A4. At their pricing structure, Audi would have to make more profit on an A3 than a comparably equipped A4 due to the A4's more expensive platform. And a loaded A3 3.2 DSG at more than 40k is ludicrous. This list price is at least 5k too high.
    I think you're overestimating the prices of the A3
    while underestimating the price of the A4. I believe there will be around a $4k difference between a comparably-equipped A3 and it's A4 cousin.

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Will there still be fwd A4's here, or are they canceling those?
    Looks like Andy's correct (as usual :) ).

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_- id=1578&page_number=1

That's a link to a R&T article our friend Iceman gave me. They're predicting the base A3 at just under $25K with the Quattro 3.2DSG at around $30K. Now at $30-33K, I like the package quite a bit.

Wish they were here now.

For the record, I still don't see it as a volume unit. I'd like to, but I don't. Experience says that as a country, we're not always the savviest of automotive consumers... :(
  • massdriver1massdriver1 Member Posts: 20
    This sounds like the car I've been waiting for. I've always liked small, sporty and practical cars. And I like luxurious cars with all the toys.
      Until now, there really hasn't been anything that fits my needs. The Mazda3 is an impressive car for the price, but IMO it's missing too many features (upgraded stereo, only one intermittent wiper speed, no seat heaters or power adjustments, black is only interior color offered...). I wouldn't touch a Focus, the Matrix/Vibe are woefully underpowered.
      Motor Trend just tested a 2006 GTI, and praised the new 2.0 turbo, calling it a jewel of an engine. And of course Audi is the best in the bizz when it comes to interiors.
      I'd buy an A3 over an A4 even if they were priced the same. I prefer the sporty image and smaller package it offers. Plus, I'd be less likely to see one on every corner.
      Let the masses keep buying bloated cars, and us small hatch lovers can remain more exclusive.
    A3 is scheduled to arrive in May. If I can order one with XM radio & auto trans., I will have the first one in S. Jersey.
  • massdriver1massdriver1 Member Posts: 20
    Never heard anything about XM radio. But I do know they're offering the DSG tranny. NOW, i'm not familiar with it or how it works exactly, but it "offers the convenience of an automatic" according to Edmunds preview.
      And, the car mags seem to think highly of it. In the MT issue that drove the 2006 GTI, they also test the upgraded A4. Also with the new 2.0, again high praise. But the editors seemed put off that the A4 isn't available with the DSG tranny that the A3 gets.

Back to the GTI.... they also give it really favorable reviews with regards to handling and drivability. They compare it to cars such as the Pontiac GTO, stating that although the GTO can out-run it in a stoplight race, the GTI is the better car all around, more well rounded and a blast to drive. Now, with a "sport suspension" being offered in the A3, I'm interpreting that to be an Audi GTI with four doors. Yeah, I can't wait.
    I drove a TT equipped with the 3.2/DSG drivetrain, essentially identical to that in the A3 and thought it was a blast. A human being cannot shift that fast, even if his name is Juan Pablo Montoya.

The 3.2 is a far superior engine to the old 2.8 I'm used to, not so much because of the additional power but because it's rev-happy. I never liked the buzziness of the 2.8 on my A4 when rpms went over 5200 or so, I assume the 3.0 (a derivative)

is much the same.