Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

fuel system problem

brossart1brossart1 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Iam a owner of a 1988 chevrolet camero. It is equipted with a v-8 305cu in motor with throttle body fuel injection. The engine will only start and stay running with the aid of starting fluid. I check the electric fuel pump with a pressure gauage and the reading was 13-14 psi. I also allowed the fuel to pump into a glass jar to inspect the volume and quality of gas both appear to be sufficiant. What should I try next. Thanks

Comments

• driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    motor be asking for 50-55 psi at the fuel rail? At least 45?
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    The pressure for TB system is ok at 10-15 psi, but do the injectors pulse? check with a "noid" lite see if you have pulse, if not check the injector fuses.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    And the crank sensor.
  • brossart1brossart1 Member Posts: 2
    Last evening before checking the injectors pulse and crank sensor I installed a new fuel filter. The car will now start on its own but you must pump the accelerator to kept it running. The injectors are spraying so do I still check the injectors pulse? As far as the crank sensor what type of test should be performed and how? Thanks
  • desi501desi501 Member Posts: 66
    Pumping the throttle on a fuel injected engine does absolutely nothing. Sounds like there may be an issue with the quality of the fuel. Are you sure there is no water in there? The fuel pressure is good for a TBI.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Easy on that starting fluid--it is a terribly good solvent and will wash your cylinder walls nice and dry.
  • desi501desi501 Member Posts: 66
    Easy on that starting fluid--it is a terribly good solvent and will wash your cylinder walls nice and dry.

Not to mention it will also turn your engine into a hand grenade if over used.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Ether is extremely explosive. Less is better.
This discussion has been closed.