Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Employee / Supplier Purchase Programs

sartisarti Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in General
The company I work for is offering us a deal like
the GM employees get, we get the discount plus 3%
Can anyone tell me what the employee discount is?
I am going to be getting a new truck and would like
to know before I go to a dealer. thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• vinmanvinman Member Posts: 1
    Anybody ever heard of this, and if so is it a good
    deal?
  • weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    Vinman,
    Yes, the A plan does exist but only for Ford employees. When I say Ford employees, I am talking about "of Ford Motor Company" not of dealership employees. I am a salesman at a Ford dealership and am unable to take advantage of the deal. The A plan is better than any consumer can get, even if you were to buy the vehicle back of cost and negotiate all the holdback which most people never do. Hope this helps. Later, Wes.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    I have seen your response Re: GM employee discount
    program wherein you provide a breakdown pertaining to relationship requirements. Would it be possible for you to do the same for this topic
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Buckwheat, I haven't seen any specific breakdown of eligibility for the the Ford Program like the one that I came across for GM. I suggest that you speak with the person you feel as though will make you eligible for the program. They probably have a good idea of whether you are eligible or not. If they don't know it would probably be pretty easy for them to find out.

Your Host
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Message recieved, thank you.
  • keith24keith24 Member Posts: 93
    For a very brief period, right out of college, I worked for a Chev. dealer here in Arkansas as a "sales associate". Now, I'm sure its different in different regions, but our "employee discount" was $200 over the "actual dealer cost" of the vehicle. This was, to the best of my recollection, after the holdback was deducted from the invoice price. But like I said, its sure to be different elsewhere, and it may be different here as well by now. That was early 1992.

keith24
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    gets 3% additional off the negotiated price. Since I lost my Silverado in a recent traffic death, I have talked to my dealer about a new truck. I get 3% off of 300 over invoice.

Can't wait.
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    but I believe on trucks it's 15% off base and 15% off the options. But like I said each model has there own percentage. The dealer can print you out a itemized list and it calculates it automatically, but I always like to check. Good luck...
  • goad1goad1 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if a retired gm employee get the same benefits(gmo,and gma)as active gm employee's?
    my dad retired about a year ago and I still get the discount. Even if he were to die and my mom was still alive, I get the discount. But if they both die I'm out of luck - in more ways than one...
  • cookie1cookie1 Member Posts: 68
    on Silverados here in Wisconsin is now 17% off MSRP on both base price and options, not including destination charge. GM always use to have 18% off base/options before now, but they decreased it by 1%.
    the percentage. I ordered a 2000 model but had to cancel it. What part of Wisconsin are you from - I currently have a house in Janesville, but may be moving...
  • number1number1 Member Posts: 71
    My father-in-law is a retired Hughes employee. He is sponsering my GMO order. I will receive my loaded 4 door Sliverado 2wd LS next week. The discount is 14% off base and 17% off options. The program continues for Hughes employees and retirees and their relatives through at least December 2001.

Note: This is the best deal around and you can still apply GM card earnings, all current rebates, and customer loyalty rebates ($500 'till 2/29/00). You pay no doc fees or advertising fees which is also a real plus.
    because mine was the same (17%) off base and options...
  • ironman72ironman72 Member Posts: 1
    Obviously negotiating best trade-in would still be possible if trading in, but I am not. Is there anything else that can be negotiated to reduce the total cost? Does holdback apply to GM-O purchases ?
  • etuffly2etuffly2 Member Posts: 29
    There is no negotiating on GMO. GM, not the dealer, sets the price. Dealer installed options would be negotiable, if you fell for them. You can't beat the GMO deal, I've done it six times.
  • caerdoscaerdos Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there got any info one who has the most competative truck pricing in the west and northwest? I'm looking for a Ford F350XL, with V10 and some basics. I've heard that the Northwest Ford dealers are participating in a $1000 cashback on 4X2's. Anyone know about this?
  • nb2169nb2169 Member Posts: 35
    Hello:
    I noticed no one has posted to this topic in awhile, so I thought I would update it as of March 17, 2000. I am a GM hourly rated employee. I just ordered a 2000 Silverado pick up truck. GM has 2 types of discount on its vehicles for its employees. One is called GMO which is the discount an employee gets when they special order their vehicle from the factory through a dealership. The second discount is called GMS and is the discount an employee gets for buying a vehicle out of a dealerships inventory. The percentage of discount for both types of employee discount depends on the model of vehicle the employee wishes to purchase. I do not know what the discount is for all GM models. However, the discounts for the 2000 Chevrolet Silverado Pick-Up are as follows:
    1)GMO- 17% off base and options.
    2)GMS- 15% off base and options.
    I hope the above information helps!
    Later,
    NB2169
  • nb2169nb2169 Member Posts: 35
    The discounts I referred to in post 14 are discounted from the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. Sorry if I have caused any confusion.
    Later,
    NB2169
  • seafury1seafury1 Member Posts: 1
    This gets you GMS invoice + 3%. I have been told the GMS invoice is lower than the dealer invoice (varies by model). I am taking delivery of a '00 Silverado and the price was about $100 under dealer invoice. Not a real good discount, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! I did notice the dealers don't like giving the discounts and will try and stick you on the trade-in value of your old vehicle to make up the difference.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • dawn8dawn8 Member Posts: 1
    We are shopping w/ a pin no to use the Ford Employee "A" Plan discount. This discount seems to vary w/ the car dealership --example from $1500 on top of the line Explorer to 3K off middle end Mercury Mountaineer. Brother who is Ford employee & got us this discount can't seem to explain. Also, dealers don't seem to want to dicker w/ this amount off MSRP plus rebates or check with other dealerships for different colors. Should we expect that they could/would? Input would be appreciated. We are trying to decide if we should start looking at other Automakers with Vans/ SUV's cars we like better anyway as really wanted a Van but not into the Ford/ Mercury design,legroom & light interior colors. Thanks. D.
    This topic was archived some time ago, but for
    some reason is not currently frozen. If you feel
    as though you have a question about a subject that is very similar to this one please use the "Topic Search" function on the side of the screen to find an appropriate place to make your post. If no appropriate topics come up in your search, by all means please feel free to start a new one. Thanks.

Car_Man
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Co-Host
  • br1022br1022 Member Posts: 1
    Who can use this discount

How much is the discount
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Gm employee discount = i believe 17% off MSRP
    Gm supplier discount = 13% off MSRP

You have to work for a company which supplys gm with parts or goods or you or a relative be a gm employee

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    GMS - Out of stock
    GMO - Order

GMO gives a little more discount...not sure how much..but I got my 2000 2500 LT for about $1700 under Invoice.

it's for employees..kids..in-laws..step children...and sometimes grandchildren....

Good Luck

- Tim
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    That's how I ordered my 2500.

See the rules at:

http://gmsupplierdiscount.com/

I paid $900 under invoice.

Mike L
    we are talking the same GMS.

GMS that I am referring to is out of Stock only and much better than $900 under..

I'd say maybe GMO and GMS are 1-2% apart?...with GM supplier being lower.

- Tim
    The website notes that GMS is the price an employee pays for a vehicle out of stock.

And suppliers pay GMS+3% and can order or buy out of stock. If memory serves me (and it has failed alot lately) my 2500 had a list price of around $27500 and GMS+3% was $900 under invoice. 3% of $27500 is $825. So, employee price is ~$1725 under invoice, out of stock only. Supplier price is ~$900 under invoice, order or out of stock.

Our numbers look like they match up fairly well, and we did have different programs.

And we are both happy with our deals and our trucks. Ain't life wonderful?

Mike L
    that sounds better...

but GMS and the supplier deal are different...which we stated..

all clear

- Tim
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Kicker in the program is you give up the right to litigation...... (read the details)

My 2001 HD retail sticker is 31K. GMS price is around $27k, Invoice is $28K. GMS +3% is %27.8k so my out the door price (not including TTL) is $200 below invoice. Maybe not worth giving up right to litigate and my GM card rebates. Ya, you can't use your GM credit card rebates, says the fine print. I might still try though....

Order for 2001HD placed May 16th. Still no allocation.....
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I used the gm supplier deal on my truck and used $450 of my gm points. I had no problem there was nothing stating i couldnt.

Ryan
    wasn't going to accept any GM discounts on the new HD line for a while....

maybe that's why no allocation?

- Tim
  • number1number1 Member Posts: 71
    At the time the had a $500 coupon plus I used my GM card discount.

It was well worth it because I did not have to haggle and got a far better deal than I could have any other way.
    Truck is ordered as if no discount so GM doesn't know.

Ryan, yup, gonna try same thing, but the GMS+3% paperwork says can't use the GM card discount.

Guess it's up to the Sales guy to make sure rules are followed.....
    good luck man. By 2002 Model year I should be all set?...maybe by them On-star won't be standard in an LT and the power slider will be an option?....we will see

- Tim
    The FAQs say you can use the old GM (Blue or Gold) card rebates but not the new GM (Copper or Platinum) card rebates. I kept my old Blue card when they offered me the new card.

So, the answer yes you can use your GM card rebates, and no you cannot use your GM card rebates.

Mike L
    It's black though...., the new deal seemed to have too many restrictions.....

I'll go printout the section from the FAQ's for use if and when my truck gets built.

Thanks!
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • scriblescrible Member Posts: 10
    The company my wife works for has just been offered the Ford Partners Program. Im trying to find out what exactly are the benefits of this program.

It seems that we get the Supplier Partner Recognition X-Plan with Ford.

And Mazada S-Plan which I have heard is about 4% over employee cost or about 1.5% over Invoice, plus any rebates or special offers available.

so in anyone has any answers or experience with this please respond.

Thanks
  • kd7kd7 Member Posts: 2
    scrible,

i looked into that. found a reference on the expedition site that said that by joining "eaa.org" (the experimental aircraft association, of all things) one could get x-plan pricing. and yes, for fords and LM's, it's A-plan (ford employee) plus 4%. A-plan price is right on their invoice -- make them show you. Mazda and VOlvo, as well as Jag and landrover, are also included, but with different formulas.

i was surprised to see that the prices were not as good as i expected. the note i saw said that an expedition with the 5.4l engine, convenience package and non-slip differential would cost him $28.4k. the best i could find, at swanson ford in los gatos ca, was a 2wd XLT with leather and the 4.8l engine for about $29k. this is below invoice, i think.

i'm still sitting on the deal. wife likes the tahoe better; i'm enamored of ford's 2.9% financing for 60 months.

hope this helps,

kdw
  • edm9edm9 Member Posts: 16
    The company I work for offers the X plan. It is pretty sweet deal. There is no haggling with the dealer, they show you all the invoices you want to see. Just add 4% of the invoice price and thats your price.
    I actually got a focus zx3 for 1500 UNDER the A-plan price. The salesperson wasn't paying very close attention and was new....So I capitalized.
  • amazonamazon Member Posts: 293
    Does anybody know if the X- plan can be combined with the Volvo overseas delivery program?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Close...

X-Plan is 104% of the A-Plan Price.

On Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars that's well below invoice less holdback.

On Jaguars and Volvos it's Invoice less holdback on A-Plan.

While you can sometimes get cheap deals on Volvos, as a rule Jaguars are simply not sold for close to invoice.

However the dealer does not have to take the deal, but it's only on very rare cars that they wont.

Bill
  • ranwinranwin Member Posts: 15
    brentwoodvolvo is absolutely correct. I used the X-plan pricing and purchased an expedition for $499 below invoice which was 104% of A-plan. A-plan is significantly below invoice.
  • powerman1powerman1 Member Posts: 10
    Maybe they will include the Bird after the hype has subsided. It seems easy to use this program and I hope to purchase either a new Mazda or the T-Bird next summer. Does anyone know where to find the A-Plan price ?
    Powerman1, the 2002 Thunderbird is going to be a very low volume vehicle. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that you are going to have a difficult time finding a dealership that is willing to sell one of the few that they are allotted through any sort of supplier or employee purchase program. They would be able to make much more money on one by selling it for full MSRP, or more.

Car_Man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
    Dealers do not have to take these deals.

We never would A-Plan a Jaguar XJR for example.

Bill.
  • powerman1powerman1 Member Posts: 10
    Yes cars of this class, some Volvos, the T-Bird will not be sold under the Plan. But if the demand is not as high as Ford predicts for the T-Bird (ha ha), and 2 years pass by, just maybe a discount would be offered. A guy can dream right ?
    It always pays to be optimistic!

I think that you may be able to get a deal on one after the first year or two...

Bill
This discussion has been closed.