Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 400h and 450h

Comments

• chesterspringschestersprings Member Posts: 1
    Is a demo considered a new vehicle? I only ask since the hybrid tax credit is only allowable on new auto purchases after 12/31/05.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    A demo has never been sold, so it qualifies.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The RX400h and HH have several custom setup parameters which owners should be aware.

The A/C compressor can be disabled indefinitely so it does not operate automatically in normal automatic mode or in defrost/defog/demist mode.

With these settings the A/C can be turned off manually and will remain off indefinitely until it is manually turned back on. Once turned on it will operate continuously just as it otherwise would. As shipped the A/C will also operate automatically with the defrost/defog/demist function with no indication to the driver of same.

Operation of the A/C during the winter months is needless except for the remote possibility of it being able to dehumidify the incoming airflow to a level which prevents windshield fogging. Since most occasions of windshield fogging is the result of system "upset" (loading a couple of cold, wet, and sweaty snow-skiiers with their soaked clothing, etc.) or in many cases the result of A/C operation being discontinued due to declining OAT.

Intermittent use of the A/C only during defrost/defog/demist mode is a catch 22 of itself. In the rare case wherein the incoming air's dewpoint is such that the A/C can provide a reasonable level of dehumidification when the normal operation mode is resumed the A/C operation will stop. That will result in all of the previously condensed moisture remaining on the evaporator vanes to evaporate into the incoming airstream often resulting ain a reoccurance of windshiedl fogging.

Another new feature is that the dealer can change a custom setting wherein the system will not automatically switch from footwell, heating mode, to dash/panel outflow, cooling mode(***). The cabin temperature control only responds to air temperature or thye sun's radiant heating effects. The human comfort equation is much more complex than can be rsolved by just those two parameters.

The effects of radiant heating (or lack thereof) from the exterior and interior "landscape" surrounding your body also play a very great part in establishing human comfort. On a cold dark night with the landscape covered with snow the system, driven only by its measurement of interior, cabin air temperature, will almost always shift, first, into mixed footwell/dash outlet mode, and then into full cooling mode, dash airflow outflow mode, once the cabin temperature closely approximates your manual temperature setpoint.

As many of you have already no doubt noticed, that can be quite discomforting to you and your passengers.

But there is yet another important aspect of this feature, heating/cooling mode parameter setting. In full cooling mode, which the system would otherwise almost always default into as the cabin temperature reaches your setpoint, no warming airflow reaches the interior surface of the windshield.

It can become extremely dangerous to allow the windshield interior surface temperature to decline due to the onrushing COLD outside airflow during wintertime operations. Keeping the system in footwell, heating mode will result in a significant level of airflow being continuously routed to the windshield thereby keeping it well above the dewpoint of the cabin atmosphere.

You may note that in your owners manual is a new (as of 04?) note of caution. Since the A/C will shut down automatically if the outside temperature should decline to or below the freezing level the newer Denso climate control systems will automatically switch a portion the system outflow to the interior surface of the windshield just as the A/C is disable.

A bit of shutting the barn door after the horse has galloped off down the road, that is.

Or actually it can be very much worse.

When the A/C is disabled in thsi manner any previously condensed moisture remaining on the evaporator vanes, 10,000 square inches thereof, will begin to evaporator into the incoming airstream. Absent your having had the dealer make the parameter change from the factory default the windshield interior surface may very well have already been chilled to well below the dewpoint of the super-saturated airstream now routed, automatically, in its direction.

But never fear, there is yet another parameter that the dealer can set for you that will help to defog/demist the windshield. The dealer can set a custom parameter which will cause the blower speed to automatically increase when you select the defrost/defog/demist mode.

Now if we could just get them to recognize that the airflow heating level to the windshield should also go up simultaneously.................

*** I would be very interested in the results if anyone choses to have this parameter set to prevent an automatic switch to cooling mode. I assume one can still manually switch to cooling mode. My question is does it operate in the same way as the A/C disable custom parameter?

If I manually switch to cooling mode will it thereafter automatically switch back and forth as it otherwise would until I manually turn cooling off?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • maa2003maa2003 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the practical difference is between the FWD and the AWD? I know the gas mileage is slightly better withe the FWD, but do they drive differently? One dealer salesman told me that the FWD tends to pull to the right when you accelerate quickly. Any thoughts? Thanks! :confuse:
    Most FWD vehicles will exhibit some level of torque stear as a result of different left/right, long vs short, halfshaft windup under high engine torque conditions. Torque stear can be extreme, and even more extreme in one direction vs the other.

AWD vehicles a portion of the engine torque is (supposedly) routed to the rear, especially under high torque circumstances, so the level of halfshaft windup will be lessened.

Additionally the RX400h uses electrically powered stearing and while the information doesn't so state I strongly suspect the stearing control ECU is programmed to compensate for torque stear. Given the other uses (***)the EPS, electric power stearing, is put too, I can't imagine it isn't also used in this way.

*** Under high acceleration most of the front tires' traction coefficient will be dedicated to forward motion with little remaining available for turning, lateral, acceleration. So in this case, hard/rapid acceleration, the level of power assist for stearing is significantly reduced as an indication to the driver that rapid or hard stearing inputs are not advisable.

Biasing against/of the ease of turning the stearing wheel is also done during VSC activation as a method of "advising" the driver of the correct way to recover or alleviate the condition that caused the VSC system to activate.

Most modern day systems, especially SUVs since they are more prone to roll-over, are also somewhat "pre-emptive" when it comes to a tight turn under hard acceleration in that they will quickly step in and dethrottle the engine to prevent an entry into the parametric level that might lead to a roll-over.

All this makes it highly unlikely that you will ever experience any significant level of torque stear in any RX400h, even the FWD only version.

But to answer your basic question, FWD vehicles will always be more hazardous, much less beniegn in the handling department when things get dicey on an adverse surface roadbed, than a RWD vehicle. So any vehicle that is FWD biased, as the RX400h clearly is, will always benefit from also having a significant level of drive torque provided to the rear wheels.
  • bobgailbobgail Member Posts: 12
    I have the car since December 04. I have driven 8500 miles and average about 27 mpg. I notice that the engine seems to race (like a slipping transmission) during hard acceleration. I wonder if this is normal? I also cannot find a use for the power meter on the left side of the dashboard. (Please let me know what this is for--perhaps a tach would have been better) Other than that, car is a dream.

bobgail :D
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    this vehicle has a CVT, continuously variable transmission, so under heavy acceleration you will hear the throatier noise of the engine as the trans is not shifting like a regular trans with gears. This is one reason a tach is less important in the 400h. the power meter allows u to see when regeneration is happening, (blue), keep forward motion without the ICE, (needle in the white lines) and how much the electric motors are powering the car, (everything else)
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview current hybrid owners who purchased a hybrid within the past year or two. The reporter is wanting to know if you have been satisfied or not with the gas savings you’ve been receiving. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of your hybrid vehicle.

------------------

A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who are looking to purchase a hybrid vehicle and are looking at it from a financial standpoint, hoping to save money from the high cost of fuel. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the hybrid vehicle you are considering.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've moved the posts on Nav problems to the RX 400h GPS/NAV Issues discussion and you may continue there.

Please remember to check the discussion list inthe group to find an appropriate discussion before posting. Thanks!
    You may have noticed new discussions springing up all over the boards. What's happening is that we're starting to move away from very large discussions like this one where folks have to wade through thousands of posts to find the information they're after, and towards smaller, more focused discussions. Some examples of new discussions here in the RX 400h group:

Lexus RX 400h Test Drive - What Did You Think?
    New Lexus RX 400h Owners - Give Us Your Report
    New Lexus RX 400h Engine Stuttering/Missing
    RX 400h GPS/NAV Issues

So before you post in this main topic, please check the discussion list for an appropriate discussion. If you have an issue to bring up thatwe don't have a discussion for, please feel free to create one or drop me an email by clicking on my username with your suggestion.

Thanks for your hlep and understanding while we move the furniture around a bit! ;)

Lexus is pleased to offer you the opportunity to talk with Bob Carter, Lexus Division leader responsible for our all-new performance hybrids. The live chat is for hybrid enthusiasts as well as those interested in learning what this technology means for them.

The chat will be on Tuesday July 25 at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT

Join us at The New Era: Lexus Hybrids live chat event!
  • hybridbenhybridben Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone:

I'm the proud owner of a new 2007 Lexus RX400h. Just got it this weekend and am very happy with it so far.

But, I have a question that came to me 3 hours after I purchased the car:

Does anyone know if the electric motor in this car (or other hybrids) will create electro-magnetic fields that can prove harmful to pregnant women or children? (i.e. similar to how living near power-lines can potentially cause cancer in children and adults?) Would love to know if anyone has thought about this? Does anyone know how to measure the EMF / magnetic fields in the car whlie driving? I'd like to compare it to other EMF sources and see if this could potentially be an issue.

What are your thoughts?
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    http://www.hybridcars.com/electromagnetic-fields-hybrids.html

To date, neither an exhaustive web search nor the services of a crack librarian at the University of Texas have been able to unearth precise measurements of electromagnetic fields, or EMF, in hybrids. What you do with this knowledge, or lack thereof, depends largely upon your personality. Currently, the public can only be sure that the electronics contained in the vehicles meet FCC standards for electromagnetic interference (EMI) with other electronic devices.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    The real answer is NO. It is the same a cell phones, too low of levels to cause any harm.
    "The real answer is NO. It is the same a cell phones, too low of levels to cause any harm."

Wow, where did you find the study to support this statement?
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6588860.html?highlight=5343970

Wow...Double that, WOW..!

I have NEVER seen a more direct admission of the hazards of engine braking on a FWD or front biased AWD in my life, never really expected too, from FORD yet. Good-o.

You should note that the FEH/MMH regenerative braking is significantly reduced ONLY at, near, or below freezing.

Regenerative braking is instantly reduced to zero if ABS needs to release the brakes to prevent lockup. But what about the ICE itself, does it raise the ICE RPM simultaneously to prevent actual engine braking?

Now I am very sure, certain, sure, I never want to drive a FWD or front torque biased AWD in wintertime conditions.
    Never mind cross-license. Cross posting between threads is in poor taste.

For a reply, see my response in the Ford Escape Hybrid forum. I won't cross post it here.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Just a note for those going to this year's event. I just went today and it is quite a reduced event compared to the last one I attended. There is no off road course. There weren't as many competitor cars. The luxury course did have a Mercedes and BMW but that was it. The food is good but one must stand in multiple lines going room to room to get the food. Each room has a new line. Given these changes I don't know if I will be attending future events.
    Youmight want to ask about off-roading in the Lexus RX 400h: Driving Tips & Tricks discussion.
  • drgkjedrgkje Member Posts: 21
    7 month old 400h- the display has gone bad. the energy is the worst. it appears that the old info is not being cleared fully as new is added so you see multiple colors and arrows superimposed on each other.

one-of-a-king glitch? anyone else had this problem
  • randyl712randyl712 Member Posts: 29
    Lexus addresses the EMG in the manual somewhere, I just read it. I agree that if it doesn't cause radio interference, we're probably safe :) The smallest things can kill AM reception.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    You may find the answer here:
    www.toyota.com/html/hybridsynergyview/2006/fall/battery.html
  • lansdownemikelansdownemike Member Posts: 54
    I've got a 400h on order and will be buying a smart phone/PDA phone of some kind when it comes in. I'm also entirely open on the wireless vendor (I'm in the Washington DC area). Does anyone have experience with a Palm Treo connected to the 400h via Bluetooth? Any significant limitations with any of the wireless companies who use these phones?
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    i have connected both my treo 650 and new 680 via bluetooth with my 400h, the 680 has a newer version of bluetooth. the 680 is less expensive and smaller than the 650, palm based and a great phone. please remember it has a smaller battery so currently battery life is half that of the 650. verizon seems to limit the phones use more than other carriers, also sprint doesnt use a sim card so try for cingular in your area. also ask friends who is the best carrier where u live as different carriers are strong in different locations. most carriers will give you two to four weeks to try out a phone will a full refund.
  • hilandr05hilandr05 Member Posts: 18
    I live in S Florida and have not seen any advertising on TV or print media about the 400h. But I sure see a lot of Lexus advertising for all their other vehicles.
    What does this mean for us owners with regard to future support, maintenance, and trade-in value?
    I can't imagine that the primary populace of S. Florida is highly interested in 0-60 times.
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Member Posts: 20
    I was all set to buy a 2008 RX350, but now I've learned VDIM is only on the hybrid (strange). My understanding is that VDIM represents a very significant safety advance over standard stability control. Is that right, or am I overstating it?

If I do have to get the hybrid, I have some concern about driving on our snowy driveway and private road and damaging the hybrid drivetrain. Does it have protective mechanisms built in to prevent snow-based wheel spin from damaging the car?
    VDIM is on the RX350, just a more complex one on the RXh due to the ability for totally variable torque at the rear on the AWD model.

It's entirely possible, maybe even highly probable, that the RXh will yield better AWD capability on adverse, wintertime, ice, packed snow, roadbed conditions.

For that matter, I wouldn't willingly take either off-road, but if I did have to choose it would be the RXh for brief off-road excursions.
    A reporter for a weekend news program is looking to interview consumers in the Los Angeles area who are interested in purchasing a hybrid. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, March 22, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
    "It's entirely possible, maybe even highly probable, that the RXh will yield better AWD capability on adverse, wintertime, ice, packed snow, roadbed conditions."

The hybrid AWD is pure electric, and the electric motors will overheat with too much continuous use. Hence the conventional RX would be a better choice if one were planning on using AWD on a consistent basis, such as frequent trips to the beach, for example.

When the motors overheat, AWD is disabled until they cool down.
    IMMHO the most common use, and reason, for purchasing an AWD vehicle is for wintertime adverse roadbed conditions. In COLD wintertime conditions it is unlikely, much less likely, that the rear motor will overheat.

And remember that the AWD RX330 series does not have a VC so the brakes and rotors are likely to overheat quickly in your "off-road" circumstance.
    "In COLD wintertime conditions it is unlikely, much less likely, that the rear motor will overheat. "

OK, so you get an extra 10 seconds of AWD. It still it not advised (BY LEXUS) for any off road use. Those motors are not made for any strenuous, continuous use (such as found in true off road).

Not sure what you mean by "VC" (maybe VSC?), or why you are mentioning the RX330 on a RH400 forum. But brake fade is a completely different issue. We are speaking of acceleration here, not braking.
    "..Hence the conventional RX would be a better choice..."

Not if its an RX330 which does not have a VC, Viscous Clutch, so the brakes must take on the full load of apportioning engine torque front to rear.
  • dgrahamrdgrahamr Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know if the 2007 400h can be bought with black bird's eye maple in the interior? It's available in the 2008 350, but I don't see it on the websites for the 2007 400h. A salesman told me you can, but I'm worried he is misinformed.
    I think you're right. You can get golden bird's eye maple trim when you have the ivory leather, but no combination of colors turns up black bird's eye maple on the website or in the brochure.
    On the website it looks like the 2008 RX 350 is for sale, but the 400h is still 2007. Does anyone know what differences will appear for the 400h in 2008? (I've got a refundable deposit on a 2007 on order, but I'm wondering if I should wait a few months.)
    I can readily understand that it's a good idea to use regenerative braking instead or along with friction braking when the brake pedal is actually depressed.

What I cannot understand is the use of regenerative braking during periods of coasting. How does the hybrid system know of my intent?

What if my intent is to extend FE by coasting slowly to a stop at that upcoming stop sign or traffic light. It seems to be that since regenerative braking can NEVER recover enough energy to overcome the fuel savings I might attain by simply coasting it would be better to only use regenerative braking instead of friction braking or along with same.

Or why not a clutch-like control wherein I can "tell" the system my intentions. Regenerative braking unless I activate the "clutch" indicating my intention to coast and thereby increase FE.
  • hallinihallini Member Posts: 13
    I also have a refundable deposit on a 2007 black with tan leather interior and brushed aluminum trim. I am wondering about the same thing. Have you heard anything yet as to the 2008 release date, new color options or changes? My vehicle is expected to arrive sometime in June and I don't want buyer's remorse if the 2008's are coming out this Summer.
  • hallinihallini Member Posts: 13
    I also wondered the same thing and I wonder if it will be available in the 2008 400h model. I see they have it on the 350 and I see they have it available on special editions of GX470 and LX470. I think the black bird's eye would look sharp with tan leather in a black vehicle. The 350 option is with gray leather only. Let me know if you hear any news on this please.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    I don't know the details of regenerative braking, but the logical way to "turn it on" would be when the brake pedal is touched. Also, I would think the harder you press the pedal the more friction braking you would get.
    If you want to go intoa general discussion about regenerative braking and how it works, please use the How do Hybrids work? Newbie questions encouraged. discussion.
  • endotoothdocendotoothdoc Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,

Is there a break-in period for the 400h (mileage wise)? About how many miles do we have to have before hooking up a trailor hitch and hauling some things. I appreciate your help.

JB
    And could I add a PS to the question? If there is a break-in period, what activities should be limited during that period? Since there is no tachometer, I'm not sure how I should limit the amount of stress on the engine.
    Even worse....

Most break-in instructions want you to vary the road speed for the first thousand miles so the engine rings don't seat just at a narrow RPM range. How would this work with a CVT wherein the ECU can operate the engine at the most optimum RPM regardless of roadspeed?
  • endotoothdocendotoothdoc Member Posts: 8
    Car man or anyone else with experience on this,

What are your takes on the Extended warranty? Is it worth purchasing it with the car? What would be a reasonable price to negotiate for? Thank you in advance.

JB
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    My best buddy is buying a new Lexus x400h in California and is not financing it. I know that extended warranties and perma-plating are negotiable. Since most folks finance their vehicles the dealership usually convinces the buyer to just add it on the monthly payment.

When I bought my new 4Runner and new Subaru Outback, Folks on Edmunds Forum steered me in the right direction to purchase my extended warranty elsewhere and I got a great deal. Any ideas or suggestions of dealerships that have a deal on the extended warranty? Any idea on what is fair to pay for the yearly perma-plating? Thanks!
  • twq83twq83 Member Posts: 19
    West,

The break-in period for a Lexus 400h????? let me QUOTE YOU ............ " to extend the life of the vehicle, the following precautions are RECOMMENDED to observe:

for the first 200 miles * Avoid sudden stops.

for the first 500 miles * Do NOT tow a trailer. ( that answers that question above!!)

for the first 1000 Miles * do not drive at EXTREMELY high speeds.
    * Avoid sudden Acceleration.
    * Do not drive continuously in the LOW GEARS.
    * Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods."

These are the Lexus suggestions......... printed in the owners manual.

My own philosophy is that if you have to think twice about whether or not it's good for the Vehicle ....... Don't do it!!!!! Ask your sales rep!!!!!! ....... and if they don't know ask me!!

Just my opinion .......

Tom Quinn ;)
    Internet Sales
    Pohanka Lexus, N VA
  • twq83twq83 Member Posts: 19
    OK, "Best" information says that the 2008 RX400h will arrive in the show room Last Week of August first 2 weeks of September 2007! I can tie down a better release time when we get closer to the September time frame ( late July/August)........ and as it stands right now the 2008 will NOT have the Black Birds eye maple finish ......... :cry: ......... sorry guys. If anything changes, I'll let you know

Tom Q ;)
    "..Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods."

EXACTLY...!

My point was/is what good does the above do if the CVT can, and apparently does, maintain the engine at a relatively constant RPM regardless of road speed?

With an ordinary gearbox the engine RPM MUST vary with roadspeed. With the hybrid "CVT" the engine RPM is kept within a fairly tight range which results in the best FE.