Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• jdkb2004jdkb2004 Posts: 1
    Need a truck that will tow a 14,000 lb 5th wheel in the mountains. Looking at a great deal on a F-250 diesel. Does anyone have information that would help me make a good decision? Or do you think the F-350 would be better? Any advice will be appreciated.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Is this the empty weight of the fiver from the manufacturer's brochures, or is this the weight of loaded rig, complete with water, and waste in the tanks? Regardless, this rig is way too big for an F-250.

You don't say what type of F250 you want - Short Bed, Long Bed, Regular, Extended or Crew Cab? 4x2 or 4x4? Manual or auto transmission? What's the axle ratio? It all has effects on towing capacity.

The F250 has a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 8800 lbs. As you put options on the truck it subtracts from the rating. A short bed regular cab, 4x2 diesel F250 has a payload of ~2,495 lbs. A long bed, crew cab, 4x4 diesel only has 1100 pounds of available payload capacity. A fiver puts about 20% of its weight on the pin. With your fiver, you have 2800 lbs right there - you've overloaded all F250s.
    This is before you've even filled up the fuel tank, loaded passengers, coolers, and misc. stuff into the truck.

The GVCWR (gross combined weight) of truck and trailer for F-250 is about 20K pounds. F250 w/ Diesel can easily weigh 7000 lbs plus. So your combined weight of the two vehicles wouldn't be too far over. But you'd still be in trouble with the weight on the back of your truck.
       The F250 truck with the diesel can pull this weight without breaking a sweat. The problem is controlling this much mass reliably in all traffic situations. You may be fine tooling town the highway at 60 mph, but try panic stopping with the 14000+ lbs behind you. Even with properly set up trailer brakes things can get away from you pretty quickly. Having truck overloaded also makes it much more difficult to control oscillations caused by cross winds, or getting passed by tractor trailers, etc. Sudden lane changes or panic stops can be real scary.
       My recommendation: if the 5ver weighs 14K lbs unloaded. Do not use the F-250. Are you willing to risk your's and your family's lives over a "good deal." Also, note if you have an accident - your insurance company can leave you hanging out to dry if it is proved that you were overloaded and towing unsafely.

Look at an F-450. It can pull a 5ver up to 18K pounds, and will give you a sufficient margin of safety.
  • rtuckerrtucker Posts: 1
    I need your advice on my next truck. I will be towing a 5th wheel unloaded weight of 10,440. Thinking about an F250 Diesel Automatic. Need information on 6.0 and 7.3. Also which rear end will be better?
    rtucker,
      See my previous post about F-250 payload capacity. Your 5ver can easily be over 12K lbs wet. F-350 will be better for you to be "legal" on payload.
      7.3L Powerstroke is a great engine. Ford had a while to work out all of the bugs. 2000 through 2002 were all "relatively" trouble free. Will barely know your 5ver is back there.
      6.0L Diesel was new for 2003. Had a lot of birthing pains. Engine either ran almost flawlessly, or put it's new owner through the wringer with all sorts of maddening problems. Halfway thru '03 Ford did a redesign on the engine, changed injectors, programming, turbo, etc. and solved most shortcomings. However they couldn't fix some of the problems on the early engines in a timely fashion so they ended up buyingt a bunch of these trucks back from their owners under the Lemon Laws. (Unfortunately, some of them are being resold now for really cheap prices, so be careful.) A good 6.0 however, will leave a good 7.3L in the dust. Another Plus for 6.0L; it comes with redesigned automatic transmission - can handle more torque, and has superior cooling than one that's attached to the 7.3L.
         Single rear wheel diesels only come with 3.73:1 axle ratio. Diesel Dooleys come with choice of 3.73 or 4:10:1 ratios. Higher number gives your more torque and power. Also engine revs a little bit higher at a given speed, and may get a little less mileage. Dooley gives more stability towing a big load.
  • tuliroxtulirox Posts: 5
    I bought the new 2004 6 Liter Diesel...WOW! This truck has all the power of a race car! I test drove it and squeeled the tires..this is a Diesel? I couldn't believe it, next thing I knew I was going 100+ mph! Not what you would expect from a Diesel. I will never own anything less!
  • tuliroxtulirox Posts: 5
    BUY THE 6.0! I BOUGHT THE 2004 6.0 AND MY BROTHER-IN-LAW HAS THE 7.3.
    I HAVE SO MUCH MORE POWER WITH THE 6.0 AND HE EVEN HAD A POWER CHIP PUT IN HIS 7.3 AND HE STILL CAN'T TOUCH THE POWER I HAVE. I PULL HORSE TRAILERS, BOATS AND ANYTHING ELSE I CAN HOOK ON TO.
    YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE 6.0!
  • i pick up my new f-250 4x2 crew cab, diesel tomorrow. a friend says his dad put the banks system and a chip system in his and brought it up to an estimated 700hp. his dad also is a partner in an auto shop. does any of these mods void the warranty. does this hp seem high. it does to me but i don't know much about diesels. not looking to hop it up but he says he really improved the gas mileage when towing.
  • A 1990 F250, after a long haul with a 8'6" camper, on the return trip the vehicle started to use excessive gas, any help out there?
    Alex
  • I have a 1999 F250 Super Duty Super Cab with the V10 engine and towing package. I purchased the truck brand new and have put over 135,000 (mostly commuter) miles on it. Towing use has been light, usually a 5,000 lb bobcat/trailer. At the 100,000 mile check up, the dealer noted that the tranny fluid looked "burnt - probably the result of heavy towing". Recently hooked up a 7,900 lb fifth wheel and lost all forward gears. The dealer is replacing the OEM transmission with a brand new tranny. I usually run the the truck with the overdrive "on" and am wondering if this is a contributor the the failure of the trans?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,068
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... everyone is welcome and ALL things automotive (and some not-so-automotive topics) are fair game! Stop in tonight and get to know some of your fellow Town Hall residents better. We may even play a little automotive trivia!

Getting things started, from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, If your passion is Mazda or you just like to go ZOOM ZOOM, the place to be is the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

Imediately following from 7-8pm PT/10-11pm ET, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Sorry to hear that your tranny died. Though I wouldn't consider it a "premature" death at 135K. Did you change out the transmission fluid at the 100k checkup? I'm assuming you did since it didn't die until 135K.

For your info: the '99s had relatively poor transmission cooling design. I think there was only a relatively small oil to air cooling loop. Newer models had more tranny cooling added. Bigger oil to air, and also an oil to water loop inside the radiator.

As far as running with OD on: yeah, it can contribute to heat build up. However, it usually happens when when the transmission is constantly hunting and going in and out of OD. I have an '01 and consciously take it out of OD on hilly terrain.
      If you're planning on keeping your truck for a long time and want to continue towing the 5ver, I'd look into getting a supplemental transmission cooler. Do a web search on a product called a "Cyclone Fan." Great product, you'll never have to worry about overheating your tranny, even backing a trailer up a hill.

Also have a transmission temperature gauge installed. That's very cheap insurance. My temps rarely get above 200 F. When you see temps start to rise, you'll know to either change your drving style or pull over to let things cool down. If transmission fluid gets above 250F, it's been burned. The friction modifiers in it have been degraded, and you only have a short amount of time (1000 miles) that you can run with it before it results in transmission damage. If it goes over 300F you've got to change it ASAP.

Hopefully, your new replacement FORD tranny has the latest upgrades incorporated in it, but the gauge and cooler are the way to go for troublefree towing
  • lj409lj409 Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2004 f-250 last November. I have to say, it is definitely the best truck I have ever owned. It is my first diesel and WOW!! The power is unimaginable. I have a crawfish boiling catering trailer that I pull not to mention a large equipment trailer for my tractor for my deer lease. It pulls like nothing I have ever driven before. Anyway, I only had to bring the truck in around 10k miles due to it needing a computer update. I heard this was quite common in the 6.0. Anyway, I have 20k miles on it now and no problems, running like a champ. However, I do have a very annoying rattle in the drivers side crew cab door. Has anyone else had any trouble with this? Is it common? Should I just bring it in to get it fixed or is it something I can fix myself? Please advise!!
  • lj409lj409 Posts: 2
    I bought a 2004 f-250 in November of last year. I also bought an extended warranty for my truck a few months ago till 75k to mainly cover the cosmetic stuff such as power windows, lock etc. Are all f-250 diesels already covered till 100k on the power train? I feel stupid for asking but am not sure if my truck is covered till 100k on the power train? What actually does the power train cover? FYI! I did by the truck brand new and not used!
  • Any luck with the trial? I just bought a 04 250 SD and it does the same thing when I back out of the drive? Once I start forward, I hear a click underneath. Only does it when I enter reverse and then few feet into forward it engages? Thanks. Mike
    I misspoke in the previous post. I had thought that it was the whole powertrain. It is Only the Diesel Engine that is covered to 100K. Tranny, and rest of drive train are covered by the bumper to bumper 3yr/36K warranty.
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    Michael; I had to go back to see what you are posting about. This was a problem experienced by "jf067" and not me. I have a '99 dually. He never replied back, so I don't know what happened. Have you tried letting the truck roll forward with the tranny in neutral? If not, give it a try to see if it still makes that noise. As I said earlier, that should isolate the problem to some extent.
  • Thanks for the info and I'll definitely followup on the cooler and gauge. By the way, the new trans (furnised by FORD installed by the dealer) lasted for six days and then lost overdrive and reverse. FORD directed the dealer to remove and disassemble the trans and investigate the cause of the failure. It took them a week to find that a check valve/body was out of alignment. We'll see how it goes...
  • deweybdeweyb Posts: 1
    I have 2001 F250 Crew Cab ,Diesel,I drove it same as Tony, my transmission went out at 50k, I had it serviced at the dealer at 30k. Used mostly for commuting, I toll a 3 horse slant with living Quarters around 10k lbs four to five times a year. I also lost the fwd gear(the gear split down the middle), the dealership mechanic said that 2001 had a new gear that wasn't holding up the way it should. Thank God it was under extended warranty. They replaced the transmission with new mfg and added a new transmisson cooler the bill $3,700. Sound like Ford needs a recall. Any one else having problems? I also had the fwd wheel bearing go out at 30k, I have a 4x4. My brother-in-law has the same setup and he had 3 fwd wheel bearing go out and he has 120k on his 4x4. Sounds like Ford has fwd (sealed) wheel bearings problems. My dealer charged me $700.00 to change mine.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,724
    Anybody remember the rumors about this engine? It was supposed to Ford's diesel entry for the F-150, but got sidelined due to costs.

Well it's resurfaced in the new International-designed Ford LCF Class 4-5 trucks coming out this fall.

http://www.olatheford.com/Fleet/lowcabforwardlcf.htm

BTW, International will also have a badged version of this truck.

http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/news/newsdetail.- - asp?id=563&group=heavy&name=Heavy%20Trucks

Still, I wonder if we'll ever see this V6 Power Stroke in a F-150 or Super Duty Ford?

Bob
  • I have dicided to start changing my oil, since the oil filter and plug are the easiest I have ever had the opportunity to change (especially since it is a 4X4), I couldn't pass up the chance.

Instead of paying the dealer an arm and a leg to add 100% synthetic, I decided that for the price of doing it myself, it equals about the same as putting in the cheap stuff at the dealer and also I know it is synthetic and not just being told it is and paying the price and getting the cheap stuff instead.

I am curious if anyone else is doing the same... I also heard that once you go synthetic, you can't change back.

I always thought that this was a joke, like you wouldn't want to go back as soon as you tried synthetic.
  • Good subject for discussion. I recently purchased a 6.0 and have been thinking about going synthetic as well. Probably will wait until I have 20K miles for proper breakin.

I've used synthetic oils in all of my gas vehicles including my Harley and don't think you can beat them for extreme temperature operating conditions.

Who out there has some experience with synthetics in diesel engines? What mileage did you start at and what brand. I read that Amsoil (sp?) claims a 25K mileage change. This sounds pretty outrageous to me since I normally go about 6K.

Oh and one last thing. I have been very pleased with the perfomance of my 2004 4X4 PSD w/auto both on and off road. avg MPG w/ 7K miles right now is 17 MPG. Hope to see it get even better and I'm a lead foot!
  • bought a '04 F250SD today & haven't decided on the extended warranty. Will cost an additional 2,000 & my worry is the tranny. Will use for service work & am adding a Rawson bed & carry med load at times. No towing. Anyone have an opinion? Had a lot of trouble with an '80 model F250 w/ auto & in same configuration. Have driven standards ever since. Couldn't find a single cab diesel w/standard in the nation! I'm pretty religious about maintenance, but one trip to dealer on transmission & 2k will be eaten up very fast. Thanks in advance & have enjoyed reading everyone's imput.
  • Assuming you bought a Diesel ? If so, the '04 has the new Torqueshift auto. This is supposedly the most robust auto tranny that Ford has ever put out in a light duty truck. This transmission was designed with towing in mind, and has great torque specs, and better cooling than any of it's predecessors. Without towing heavy,and short of backing up a mountain in wet snow, I don't think you could overstress it just by hauling a load on the chassis.
      On other Ford sites, I've seen complaints about the 6.0 engine, but relatively few about transmission failures. There's relatively little comparison to the auto in your 24 year old truck and the new one
  • I have a '03, 4X4, F250 and sometimes it feels as if the tranny has a slight slip to it, from day one.

Kind of a jitter, if that makes sense. Not all the time, just seems to do it when I am accelerating.

After all this talk about the tranny giving out, it kind of concerns me now.

Also, does anyone else have a pop in the front end? The dealer told me this was normal for a leaf spring suspension, I guess he was referring to the front end?

Thanks...
  • When I took my truck in for its first check-up, I mentioned that the radio was popping on AM and asked if I should be concerned because I didn't want it to catch fire.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.do?step=recall&y- ear=2003&make=Ford&model=F-250+Super+Duty&style=4dr+C- rew+Cab+XL+4WD+SB+%285.4L+8cyl+6M%29&zip=92508&synpartner- =edmunds&tid=edmunds.g..mnt.step2.8.Ford*#1

He told me it was nothing to worry about... Thank God for this site, could have been pretty tragic if it would have cuaght fire and I wasn't able to get my two kids out of their car seats...
  • Tranny. What engine do you have? 5.4L, 6.0L, 6.8L?

As far as the popping in the front end - it's a common annoyance. The ends of the spring leafs momentarily catch on one another as the spring pack flexes, hence the the popping noises. As far as I know it doesn't cause any damage .

Get under the truck and liberally soak the leaf springs around the tips of the springs with WD-40 or Silicone Lube spray. The popping will go away for a week or until the first rainy day, which ever comes first. Dealer can install "spring tip isolators" - pieces of plastic (teflon? I forget) Stops the spring ends from rubbing on each other. At least until the isolators wear through after 30-40K miles. I had mine done under warranty when truck was about 2 weeks old - my springs were making some noise, but the real culprit was that the mounting bolts for my crew cab weren't torqued correctly - that made real scary noises.
  • jf067jf067 Posts: 17
    I don't have the Crew Cab, but the dealer had to re-align the doors on my 2004 F250 super-cab in the body shop. They were rattling when I went over bumps in the road. Fine now.
  • jf067jf067 Posts: 17
    Jim sorry I never got back to you on this issue. Regarding the recent question from "michaelsmith"; I did try backing up a hill, then rolling forward in neutral. It didn't make any noise (that I could hear). It still makes the "snap" sound when I apply any torque forward with the engine after backing up. I've asked everyone I can think of, the best we can come up with is that it is coming from either the tranny, or the transfer case. In case you're thinking about the hubs, mine are manual. We've also watched the front shaft - no movement. Still at a loss here. I'm waiting to leave something in the road one day. Hopefully Michael got an extended warranty too -
  • Well, you're on the right track. It would just about have to be in the tranny, t-case, U-joints or differential. I don't remember much about your situation. How many miles on the truck? I'm assuming you have an extended warranty? Unless it's getting worse, I'd most likely drive it like it is. I've driven vehicles with strange noises for years. Most I could never locate and none ever seemed to cause any damage.
  • Hello wpalkowski

That would be a 5.4L...

Thanks for the info on the leaf springs... Everytime it pops my heart skips a couple of beats.

I'll check that out.