Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• frhrwafrhrwa Member Posts: 6
    I have had absolutely no problems motor wise, but... electronics, another story.. one time pulling my boat back from eastern oregon, it quit, something about a cam sensor in the computer.. it turns on the back up alarm light most of the time, can't reset it.. turned out the center console in the roof for a week, then came back on.. my overdrive light comes on, shift to neutral, back to drive, and it goes out.. sometimes my coil light comes on, you have to stop, turn the key off, and restart, then it goes out.. and last but not least, this is a weird one, if my high beams are on, I cannot shut the truck off.. turn off the key, take it out, its still running, turn off the high beams and it quits.. it will do this everytime the high's are on..? anyone else having electronic fuzz bombs? Ford denies that there is a problem with the computer on the 2002 model, yet many people have told me about their 2002 electronic problems.. ? thanks..
    frankly, I'd stay away from the newer diesels.. when they got rid of the 7.3, they got rid of the best diesel motor available.. those new ones are giving everybody a bunch of problems.. my neighbor bought a newer model, traded his 2002 in.. he wound up making Ford buy it back, it was in the shop more than at home.. my 2002, other than computer problems has been great.. enough power to do what I want.. and people don't believe it, but I get over 22 mpg hiway.. sometimes upwards of 26mpg.. I do put Marvel Mystery oil in my fuel, and the Diesel additive (because of the extreme cold up here).. I've been challenge many times over this fuel economy, and proved that its true.. so, I can't say anything bad about my 7.3L.. love this truck.. had a 1990 GMC Sportside 4X4 before.. loved it, kept it 11 years.. but wanted that extra room to recline my seat and give give me leg room.. this thing is huge, seat half way forward had plenty of leg room for a 6'3" guy and the back has more room than a Lincoln Towncar.. its comfy, and with the 4wheel drive, has taken me everywhere I've tried to go..
  • carpathiacarpathia Member Posts: 3
    Again, comparing these to my 1990 Dinosaur (too cold-blooded and too stupid to die):

When were the last good 7.3Ls made? When did Ford start adding computer crap that made these Cretaceous-age engines too specialized for their own good?

In a recent conversation with an actual mechanic, he said the 6.0s were nightmares, but the 6.4 was a close second. Do y'all agree?

I assume the point of a smaller engine is more power for better fuel milage?

Do you comparative anatomists out there think that the 6.0s (when they work) and 6.4s deliver a total product that's as good as, or better than a 7.3?

Thanks for your input!
  • catalina87catalina87 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to buy a used f-250 lariat 4x4 2001 to 2004.
    I am curious about the engines available and their MPG.
    And any known mechanical issues that are common to those years.
    I have a 6000 lb boat that I would be pulling.

I would appreciate any input.
  • BroncoBCCBroncoBCC Member Posts: 5
    I bought a used F250SD (2002) Lariat. LOVE IT ! We have the V10 6.8L gas engine and we pull a 10,000 pound fifth wheel with no problem. Gas mileage SUCKS, about 10-12 mpg, but who cares ? It pulls the 5er with the a/c on, stereo blasting, in total comfort.
  • elmaloelmalo Member Posts: 1
    i hav a 96 F250 4x4 powerstroke 7.3 diesel and thinkin of puttin a chip or programer in it but i hav no idea what would give me more horses and mpg's can anyone help???
  • johnminnjohnminn Member Posts: 52
    I have finally cured all the problems with the Superduty F350 with a 6.0 Liter Powerstroke engine.
    Body still looked like it was fresh off the showroom floor. Interior was also just great.
    -No more blown head gaskets, no more leaking inter-coolers, no more replacing the computer module, no more differential problems., no more shifting problems - Since it seemed the dealer had it more often than I did, I sold it and cured all my problems.
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    10-4 some folks have had a lot of problems from these trucks. but i work with and 04 f-250 that i have had grossed out at 26,000 with trailer and got the job done. at 121,000 it still is a baby. also it is a 4x4. the problem with this truck is either you get a good one or you don't. and if you get a bad one you need deep pockets. :confuse:
  • weekender4weekender4 Member Posts: 1
    keyless entry stopped working. stereo dosnot turn off automatically.door ajar light stays on all the time .doors have to be manual locked.do you have any ideas
  • tactical258tactical258 Member Posts: 1
    good morning. new to this site. of course i find it after i bought my truck. i have an 05 f250 super duty lariat short bed 5.4l. it has 57026 on it. does anyone heard of any known problems with particular model? so far it runs very well. dealer i bought from said they replaced the brakes on it and did the standard oil change and stuff before it was put up for sale. wasn't real thrill they wouldn't replace the tires but said they would pay half for new ones. i'm putting on the cooper adventurer atr's (275-70r-18). got it at a very good price. just wanted some input.

thanks in advance...
  • allenwilsonallenwilson Member Posts: 1
    My truck lost has all power, it feels like it is loading up. It will only do 20mph and blows lots of white smoke. It idles fine but still smokes. Have changed the fuel filter, when taking cap off fuel sprayed out with lots of pressure.
  • rwilliams10rwilliams10 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I just bought a really decent 92 F-250 and every thing was going great but now there seems to be some slight confusion. I have two tanks that I'm almost positive runs off two seperate fuel pumps. The other day she stalled out in Reverse and I had assumed in was because I switched her over to the front tank ( I normally run on the rear) Which made me assume fuel related (Pump,Filter,Line Etc.) Well yesterday she stalled again on my rear tank in Reverse and again today in Reverse. Does any one know if maybe there's some kind of connection with reverese and my Stall problem? Or has any one had this problem?
  • lostcause245lostcause245 Member Posts: 21
    Its been awhile since I let go of my 92 but if memory serves me right there are two pumps on this truck,one in each tank. However they use one common fuel filter. I would start with that since it is an inexpensive fix, about ten dollars if you do it yourself.
  • wdauselwdausel Member Posts: 1
    What kind of modifications have you done to it
  • hydroagehydroage Member Posts: 1
    Hi Malo,

Your best bet is a good Electrolyser. It will clean the pistons, the lifters and improve the mpg big time.

HALLELUJAH
    well, I don't know what an electrolyzer is? but if its anything like the "Pazer Magnum".. ha ha ha.. if you only want clean pistons, clean lifters, get rid of the carbon, super lube, lube all of your fuel system, and better mileage... Use Marvel Mystery Oil in your fuel! don't believe it? try it before you condemn it..
  • platinumsnoplatinumsno Member Posts: 1
    Now before you say it yes i know its on the inside of the door. But iam sitting in Iraq and my truck is at home. I need the info for the new plow iam lookiing at and my wife cant figure out the door sticker. Imagine that. So if u could help me out it would be great. Thanks
  • cowboyiancowboyian Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Can anyone help me? I just bought my first f250 xlt 2004. I need to know if I can have baby seat anchorage points installed, so I can justify buying it to the old lady.
    HELP!?!!
  • ballbearingballbearing Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 250 6.0 diesel with 93,000 on it and its been in the shop 5 times in the last four mouths. The last time they had my heads and turbo off (4000 miles ago). Now I have a blown engine due to a foreign object (shop said ballbearing). Then Ford said it was vandalism ,now my insurance company said not a chance. What would be the best next step? PLEASE RESPOND
  • tmwattstmwatts Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 1999 Ford F-250 which will not start. The starter makes no noise when I turn on the ignition. I tried jumpstarting with another vehicle and same result. I checked the fuses related to the starter or ignition and they are either not populated or do not appear to be be blown. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • lostcause245lostcause245 Member Posts: 21
    Check the positive connections on the starter, had a 99 which the terminal actually cracked and was not contacting. Also check the solenoid under hood, if it is not clicking it is no good. Also check the connections at the solenoid, which, I believe is mounted on the right fender. If all else fails, try tapping on the starter with a hammer, its possible that there is a bad spot on the starter armature. If it starts after the hammer tap, then it is time for a new starter. Hope this helps!
  • yellowhorseyellowhorse Member Posts: 2
    i have 97 f-250 l\d 5.4eng 3speed auto w\od and 3.73 rear end.it has a factory air leveling system on it .looking around the last few years only seen 3 of these 7 lug f-250 nun had the air sys.i blowed one of the air bags called a dealer to get one they acted like i was crazy.said ford did not make till i found part#.is this a rare truck ? if so how many were made or where can get info ???????
  • ford_dude1ford_dude1 Member Posts: 8
    Good luck man!!!!! it took me 4 months to find one. I have the same truck and it cost me $600 yes my truck is a seven lug as well. You are driving a very rare truck my friend!!!!!
  • yellowhorseyellowhorse Member Posts: 2
    THAT IS WHAT I WAS THINKING.I USE IT DAILY AND PULL A 30FT 4 HORSE CAMPER COMBO 2-3 TIMES A MONTH.IT NEEDS A LITTLE MORE MOTOR OTHER THAN THAT IT NOT BAD.RIDES GREAT WITH THE AIR SYS.SEEM LIKE SOMEONE SAID ONLY 10000 WERE MADE NOT SURE ON THAT CAN'T FIND MUCH INFO ON IT.MAYBE I SHOULD PARK IT AND LET IT AGE SOME MORE. THANKS,YELLOW HORSE
  • joeiwmsjoeiwms Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2007 F250 Diesel and would like to see about getting an extended warranty. But we are not sure where to start and who to trust. Does anyone have any suggestions on where the best place is to buy an extended warranty?
    Tahnks.
  • mrracefuelmrracefuel Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone problem towing a camper or enclosed trailer? I just pull a 14 foot enclosed trailer from Conway SC to Maggie Valley NC my avg fuel mileage there was 7.2 coming back 8.8. Rear end makes noise pulling camper.
  • trucklady2007trucklady2007 Member Posts: 3
    We pull our 25 ft Jay Feather and get about 12mpg on it--also depends on wind direction going thru Kansas...we have never had any trouble, always had a smooth and relatively quiet ride (as quiet as it can get in a truck anyway)--no noise from the rear end. We had a stabilizer installed on the trailer to make it a smooth ride...do you have one on yours? It may make a difference.
  • dblrdblr Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2004 F250 W/ 74K MILES, THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS OR SO I'VE NOTICED THE TURBO WON'T ENGAGE. I CAN GET IT TO ENGAGE IF I FLOOR IT OR TURN THE TRUCK OFF FOR A BRIEF SECOND. IT GOES AWAY FOR A WHILE THEN COMES BACK.....ANY IDEA WHY ITS DOING THIS?
  • pcmedicpcmedic Member Posts: 5
    Hello at 66000 miles this is the 2nd time the turbo got rebuilt. On my truck the variable disk in the turbo is getting stuck. The rebuild with new parts. Check with the Dealer to see if they will cover it.
  • outlawdieseloutlawdiesel Member Posts: 12
    change your oil more often and get a good exhaust,with out cat or performance cat.
    I like shell rotella 15/40 change every 3500 with new (motorcraft filter ONLY)
  • midawmidaw Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    I was towing a 16 ft marlin with stern drive not to heavy all was good till i hit a hill engine coughed and lost power and blew black smoke and thru the check engine light on what caused that?
  • ford_dude1ford_dude1 Member Posts: 8
    my truck was doing the same thing, turns out it was missfiring while under load. i changed all the coils, $700 later lol. but it solved the problem.
  • scubadudeartscubadudeart Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the EGR cooler two weeks ago. I went camping up around 6,000 feet. Engine light came back on. Now I'm told it's a turbo issue. In the last four years everytime I go in the Sierras (once a year) they have had to replace the EGR valve. Now extended warranty is over. So two weeks ago cost 1500.00 now they want 2,000 for turbo and sensors. Has anyone else had these issues?
  • midawmidaw Member Posts: 2
    ford dude1 i don't know much about deisels. whatcoils are you talking about? thanks midaw
  • maxy2maxy2 Member Posts: 10
    I love this truck, this is the truck that got me hooked on davidsfarm. :lemon:
  • g935g935 Member Posts: 3
    Hi to everyone. I have an 05 F250 diesel with auto transmission, 80,000 miles. When I tow up a long grade the trans. will go into a high rev noise. It will also continue to do it on the down hill side until I give it enough throttle to get the trans. to load up again. I'm only towing about 6500 lbs. The tranny temp gauge reads normal. I took it into the dealership and they said that there was "coking" on the turbo and it was throwing the tranny into a slip mode. They cleaned the turbo but it still does the same thing. I took it back again and now they think it is the fan clutch engaging and that it could rob up to 100 horsepower during the engagement. The truck does not lose mph during this situation but I can step on the pedal and the motor revs up as though it is slipping. It could be the fan making all of this noise but has anybody encountered the same situation. One more thing, there are no warning lights coming on during the towing at any time.

Geoff
  • yarddawgf250yarddawgf250 Member Posts: 1
    my truck is stuck on i took my key out and it the air kept running put a new switch in and still the same thing what could be wrong thanks
  • w1dtodcw1dtodc Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    04 F250 SD 6.0 has 64000 mi. having engine problems, accelerating on easy take offs it does fine. accelerating with pedal to the floor does fine. accelerating about half way and the rpms start leveling out at 2000 it just starts sutting down ,bluish white smoke starts rolling out the tailpipe. if you let off it clears up then hit it again it takes off. Any advise?
  • snowman217snowman217 Member Posts: 2
    I have A 2005 f 250 lariat the latest thing to fail on my truck is the driverseat seatbelt latch. and I now realize that it is connected to what I guess is the airbags. my question is how hard is it to replace the latch part of the seat belt. naturally it could not be as easy as just unbolting and replacing. I hate to pay ford to replace it unless I have to especially since they refuse to do anything about my truck rusting at 5yrs and 3 months with less than 60,00 miles. so if anyone has any recommendations how to replace it on my own.
  • f_truck_dudef_truck_dude Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 F250 6.0L and when the temp is in the 40's, the truck runs extremely rough for several miles with shaking and sputtering like it is misfiring. After a while it will settle down. I have had several different mechanics look at it. There is nothing that shows on any diagnostic tool. Any suggestions?
  • dbs250dbs250 Member Posts: 1
    Hi my 06 F250 diesel has 68,000 miles. Its the same story when i tow my 7000 lb trailer it act like the tranny is slipping .no warning lights ,all gauges are normal. has any one found any answers?
    Thanks
    DBs250
  • g935g935 Member Posts: 3
    What was the outside temperature during your tow? The last time I towed, it was 75 degrees outside and the truck ran fine. I won't tow again when it gets hot until this summer. It seems the outside temp. makes a difference. My trans. slips if the outside air is in the 90 plus when pulling over a grade of 4,000 feet or better.
  • chris1303chris1303 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what brand or model of aftermarket navigation is good to put in the 2011 super duty?
  • siebertjdsiebertjd Member Posts: 1
    http://www.motorcraftservice.com
    go to the maint. link at the top of the screen, select your year and make. should help you.
  • akcamaiakcamai Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2005 F250 Diesel SuperDuty crewcab and love it. It pulls my 28 foot Jayflight with ease. However, when driving it on a regular basis, the exhaust is really strong. I've never owned a diesel before and am wondering if this is normal. Does anyone else have a F250 Diesel and also have a very strong exhaust?
  • gmilitogmilito Member Posts: 2
    I have a ford F250 super duty 2006 6l diesel engine, I had a small oil leak but the other day after I did an oil change the oil started to gush out, it appears to come from around or above the transmission. Any idea what coud have happened??
  • rc310rc310 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here on my 2005 F250 diesel, Very strong diesel exhaust fumes, enough to make you feel nauseated.
    Though I also have a 2003 Chevy silverado duramax diesel and the exhaust is completely different, it smells clean like chlorinated water.
  • smedsleassmedsleas Member Posts: 7
    Today my husband received a letter from Ford Motor Co, regarding his 2006 F250 Superduty 4x4 truck. I believe it is an official notice to assure us that they are aware of the "shimmy problem". We bought this truck three years ago. I have personally experienced the "shimmy", which feels more like an earthquake. The first time I was traveling 55 mph, hit a small bump and it was fortunate that noone was in the left lane because the truck bounced to the left and it took about 300 ft or more to slow the vehicle down (I knew better than to hit the brakes). Ford's notice suggests we check the tire pressure which may be the cause of the shimmy. My husband has checked the tire pressure (which he always maintains at recommended pressure), the tie rod ends, u joints, and steering parts. He checked the tires to make sure they were correct for the truck and they are 245R75/ 17E which shows up as one of our purchase options on the different tire company websites. The National Highway Traffic Safety Admn is studying the problem with Ford. They suggest you check to make sure you have the correct tires and that they are inflated to the proper specs. If "shimmy" occurs you should gradually slow down by taking your foot off the pedal or lightly apply the brakes, and if you are concerned that these actions do not resolve your problem, you can contact your dealership for further assistance. Nothing is mentioned as to who is responsible for paying for the resolution. This problem is in addition to the spark plugs made of ceramics that stick and crack and require a very expensive tune up if you cannot change them yourself. We had to buy a tool to extract the broken ceramic plugs. Also, and I am not really sure if this is another malfunction in design, but we have a slow fill problem which is due to the charcoal canister probably being full of mud. We bought the truck and the previous life was as a fleet vehicle in a mining operation in Colorado.

So now that I have ranted about these issues, my question is Does anyone know of any agency we can contact to get these problems resolved? I think maybe Ford should fix the problems without charging us.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This is similar to Dodge Ram "Death Wobble". In addition to the tire pressure, you all need to check shocks and most important, ball joints in the front end.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • birddawgbirddawg Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2011
    Try using your engine block heater. If you don't have the cable or plug I would suggest buying one from Ford and installing it. All the Diesels have the engine block heaters installed, but not all have the plugs. I use mine when it gets down into the low 30's and below. I have the same problem too. I also have a remote start on my 06 diesel. I always start it remotely and let it idle for about 10 minutes before I get in and drive away. It runs great when it is warm. I also use it in the summer. Works great for cooling the cab on hot days.