Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• maweirmaweir Member Posts: 3
    I have a 5.4 liter F250. I have recently noticed a slight vibration when I go over bumps. It feels like a slight wheel for 1-3 seconds. Nothing to worrying but 3 times now during road trips on the Interstates I have been going over bridges where the pavement turns to cement. When I go over this I get a real bad vibration that feels like I am going to go off of the road. It feels alot like a blow tire.this one lasts for 5-10 seconds and stops. It is very unnerving . Anyone else have this problem or one similar. I know that my model year is the first year with the front coil springs. I wonder if this might have anything to do with this. My father in law has a F250 as well but it is a 2004 and he has no problems with the section of road that causes the extreme vibration.
  • ftwofiftyftwofifty Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I recently bought a used 2002 F-250 Super Duty Diesel of which I was assured had received a full tune up before leaving the dealership and of which I had recently changed the oil. I was travelling down an interstate at 65 mph when there was a sudden power loss and the whole truck shutdown. There was still power to turn on the hazard lights and I had the alternator checked just about three weeks ago when I replaced a dead battery. The transmission fluid seemed to be at a good level. The starter seems to be working, and the truck wasn't indicating that it was overheating. The only light that lit up after the truck completely shutdown was the air filter light. Has anyone had this occur to them? Do you have any idea of what might have caused this? Any suggestions you may have would be helpful. We had to have it towed. Thanks!
  • mkaleytamkaleyta Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 F-250, does anyone know how to release the tension so that I can change out the alternator?
  • cpecpe Member Posts: 7
    Sometimes when I go to start my 99 f250 diesel the first time in the morning I will get a fast rattle behind the radio like a relay when I am cranking the motor over. When this happens I know that it is not going to start. I don't get white smoke out of the exhaust like I do if it is just trying to be hard to start when I forget to plug it in. If I use starter fluid it sometimes will fire and run.
  • fjweldingfjwelding Member Posts: 5
    I have the same truck as you with the same problem. I changed the glow plug realy and solve th problem for about six months. Just Yesterday the same situation happened again. Does any have a final solution for this malfunction?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    :confuse: Tell us which engine you have. 5.4L, 6.8L, 7.3L Diesel
  • rustedhoggerrustedhogger Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone, I am looking for some input on what mileage people have and are getting with their Ford 6.0 diesel. A few weeks ago I purchased a slightly used (8300 miles) 2005 crew cab, short bed, F-250. No canopy. It has 3:73 gears. It has been leveled and has 35 inch tires. The previous owner put a high flow air filter in it and had 4'' exhaust installed all the way back, removing the catylitic converter. A local shop specializing in diesel after market products and performance said it had some type ( I forget which one he said) of power commander in it but it has been removed. It still has the pyrometer and wire leads under the hood. He said it has not been "chipped". So I believe it is stock other than what I mentioned. It runs great and I am amazed at the power coming from these diesels.

I have put about 700 miles on it and seem to be getting 12 MPG. This is a mix of highway and city with most being city. My drive to work is 11 miles one way with about half being on the highway traveling 65 MPH. I have been keeping the RPM's under 2000 when on the highway. I was hoping for better mileage than this. I have been told several times it should get 17-19 MPG and on some occasions even 22 when all conditions are favorable. I have been told twice that the mileage may not be that good until it gets 12-14 thousand miles on the engine.

So, with that, what have you folks been getting for MPG? What do you think it should be getting. Did you notice a mileage increase after several thousand miles being driven?

I do not want to do any other alterations as far as the engine or "chipping". It already runs great and has PLENTY of power. I do plan on re installing a pyrometer gauge since the thermocouple and wires are already there.

Thanks for your input.
  • mkaleytamkaleyta Member Posts: 2
    I figured it out,Thanks for the help
  • rscott6rscott6 Member Posts: 20
    I have the same '05 F250 with 8500 miles on it...After 5000 the mileage picked up
    pretty good. Twice a month I take a 500 mile trip all freeway with mine. All Stock
    @ 72 on the cruise I get 22 MPG. If I didn't get good mileage with it I'd probably
    sell it. This is the best diesel I've owned...had an '02 Excursion and '04 F250 all
    diesels, never got good mileage with them. Finally found one that did. All that
    after market stuff turns your truck into the "Money Pit" like the movie. Have a Nice
    Day.
  • 101abnvet101abnvet Member Posts: 3
    Rusted, I have the same truck 2005 F-250 s/b c/c 4x4 6.0 with 35's and a leveling kit. I just installed airbags on the rear last week. I have 7,300 miles and no mods whatsoever to the engine or exhaust. I'm getting about 12-14 mpg at best and I found out with my GPS that with my tires I am actually 4 miles an hour faster than the speedo reads. I run under 2000 rpm almost always because of the milage issue. I have a question for you . When I am going up hill offroad...not four wheeling, but driving up a mild grade....both of my rear tires will break loose and it appears to have limited slip. ( I try not to spin my tires intentionally) Once a week or so ago I pulled out kinda fast and only one wheel broke loose, if only for two feet on dry pavement, do I need to replace my rear end clutches or is this normal operation for my limited-slip option rear end.
    This is my first vehicle with a limited slip rear end so I can't answer your question. I don't have enough experience with one. I too have chirped the tires when pulling out kinda quickly and turning on dry pavement. But they did not spin. However, when I test drove the truck it was raining really hard and when I got on it from a stop and turning right, it fish tailed hard to the left. I believe this is normal because with out limited slip the tire that breaks loose would just keep spinning. At least I think thats right. The power these things have still surprises me.

I checked my speedo with a GPS also and found it to be 4 or 5 MPH slow . I just can't believe this thing won't get better mileage. I am REALLY hoping it gets 17-20 when I get a few more thousand miles on it. Other wise I should have kept my Dodge with a 360 gas engine.

I would like to hear more input from others and their mileage experiences.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Be sure to read through MPG: F-Series Real World Numbers

kcram - Pickups Host
    Rusted, you're right....my GPS is reading 4mph SLOWER...Must have had a brain cramp. I did get 18.2 mpg when I had the stock tires and wheels, but I took those off after a week of owning my truck. I like the way my truck looks, but I'm just waiting to see if I get better mpg after I have about 20k on the truck. Most of my driving is city, but tomorrow I have a job in San Francisco which is about an hour away, I'll be pulling around 3,800 lbs on my trailer....I'll let you know my mpg because when pulling a trailer it's 55mph here. I talked to the dealer about my limited slip...he said it's fine if that chirp was on a turn on a dry surface. I can get it to fishtail either direction when it's wet. The dealer also said that taller, bigger tires will put more of a strain on the rear-end clutches though... I don't care..I'm keeping my truck come hell or high water. I love fords, they've been good to me. I'll send you a pic of my truck if you want just to see if they are sitting at the same height. xabntroop@yahoo.com
    Sure, a picture would be fine. When I need new tires, which will be a while, I will probably go with some that are slightly smaller. The front now sticks out from the body a little farther than I like and there is not much clearence when the wheels are turned far either way. Off road they would be problem. Let me know how the mileage goes over time. Thanks for the input.
    As noted in the post box and Rules of the Road - http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/rulesoftheroad.html - we highly discourage posting of email addresses. It eliminates the possibility that someone will scavenge your email address for spam. You can always make your email address in your profile visible to members only by clicking on Preferences in the left margin and making your address "Public".

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
    Rusted, I drove 207 miles today and averaged 14.79 mpg, this was in traffic and on some three to four mile hills. I was pulling my 6x10 trailer (enclosed) and I suppose it is around 3800 lbs. My speed fluctuated from 10- 75 mph with most of it at 60-65. I have been reading up on chips and was thinking about a tuner/programmer and setting it up on the economy setting??? Any input will help, I would rather not take chances with my truck warranty so if you have any info I'm all ears.
    Well that MPG doesn't seem too bad considering the truck was "working" pulling a trailer and going up hills. As far as chips and tuners, I do not have a clue. This is my first diesel and don't really plan on doing any of that so I have not researched it. I too do not want to mess with the warranty nor spend the extra money. Besides, it runs great now and I can't see needing more power in the future If my mileage does not improve after about 15K miles, I may consider it. Sorry I can't help.
    I read in someone's posting that their truck did not have the 1/4 turn valves for draining the water from the fuel filter housings as the manual says. Mine too. I have the allen head plugs. What a pain in the A##! Has anyone asked their Ford dealer if valves can be installed? I plan on asking. Going under the truck on the side of the road with a small wrench and flash light, if dark, and trying not get fuel all over me is stupid.

Also, has anyone had their speedometer recalibrated for different size tires? I have been told that a dealer has to program the computer. But, I see what appears to be a small gear housing on the transmission. My '97 Dodge had this and all I had to do was change out the little gear in that housing. Took 5 minutes and got the speedo right on. The dealer wants $80.00 to recalibrate.
  • phrogphlyerphrogphlyer Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 F250 has 7500 miles on it, runs great. About a month ago, I noticed at slow speeds, a metallic "jingle" sound from the front driver's side wheel that occurs when the truck drives over any sort of bump. I wonder if it is a bearing of some sort. Passenger side sounds fine, no noise. Any ideas about this?
    Have a 99 that had the same problem. Had rotors turned etc. etc. and it always came right back. I love the truck but I was about to get rid of it because of the problem. I tow a small trailer with tools for work. Went to napa auto parts and got their ceramic pads put them in ,didn't even turn the rotors , the problem went away and has not returned. Good luck
  • trucker3trucker3 Member Posts: 2
    You may want to review the complaint below that I found on the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION's website. It might be a related problem to yours. I am interested in buying a 2006 F250 SD, but won't until I find out if they fixed this problem and what it was. I will let you know if I can get to the bottom of it.

Make : FORD Model : F-250 SUPERDUTY Year : 2005 Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0 ODI ID Number : 10134178 Number of Deaths: 0 Date of Failure: August 23, 2005 VIN : 1FTSW21555E... Component: STEERING Summary:

F250, SUPER DUTY, 3/4-T, 4X4, 4WD, SHORT BOX. ALL SPEEDS IT IS NOTICEABLE. AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS (75+ MPH), ENCOUNTERING BUMPS, SEVERE SHIMMY IN FRONT END, NEARLY CAUSING LOSS OF CONTROL OF VEHICLE. FLEET OF 7 TRUCKS ALL EXPERIENCE SAME, SOME WORSE THAN OTHERS. DEALER HAS DONE ALL POSSIBLE TO REMEDY, INCLUDING AFTERMARKET HEAVIER DUTY FRONT STEERING STABILIZER (AT OUR EXPENSE). INCIDENT DATE IS LAST DATE IT OCCURRED TO MY CRUISER TRUCK. IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME A BUMP IN THE HIGHWAY IS ENCOUNTERED WITH EVERY TRUCK OUR DEPARTMENT BOUGHT FOR USE AS LAW ENFORCEMENT VEHICLES. THE MAGNITUDE OF THE WOBBLE IS DEPENDANT ON THE SPECIFIC TRUCK AND THE SPEED TRAVELED. REALIZE THAT AS LAW ENFORCEMENT RESPONSE VEHICLES, OFTEN THIS INVOLVES VERY HIGH SPEED. THE HIGHER THE SPEED, THE WORSE THE PROBLEM.
  • f250guyf250guy Member Posts: 9
    Hey ya'll !
    Firt time user of these forums & I got a question. Recently, my truck will change its idle sound. I dont believe it's slowing or speeding...just gets quiet.Lasts about 2 secs....then gets louder. Happens across the time map. Sometimes when I first warm it up, other times after driving 140 miles..?
    This is my first diesel, so bear with me if these are stupid questions. The guys at the dealership just hummed, hawwwwed & could tell me nothing. Mind you this is after getting shuffeled around from person to person.Felt pointless, kinda like picking fly [non-permissible content removed] out of a pepper mill.. :P
  • hcabanskihcabanski Member Posts: 1
    When my powerstroke is warm and in neutral, the idling is not constant. It goes up and down, 500 rpms to 1100 rpms. This stops when the truck is in drive. Can anyone tell me if there is a sensor that is out or the nature of this problem. Thank you for your help
    Should I have power at the brown wire with the engine warn and the wait to start light on?
    As noted in the post box and Rules of the Road - http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/rulesoftheroad.html - we highly discourage posting of email addresses and posts requesting others to email them. It benefits everyone when comments are made here in the forum, plus it eliminates the possibility that someone will scavenge your email address for spam.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
  • marspecmarspec Member Posts: 6
    This is normal. It has to do with rerouting exhaust gases to speed up engine warm-up. When enginge temps reach a certain point idle increases. It should happen in Park or Neutral.
  • bigtrucksbigtrucks Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 02 dodge 1500 v8 4x4. I am seriously thinking about buying my buddy's truck which is a 00 ford f250 v8 powerstroke diesel. The truck has 80,000 miles on it and has a 4 inch skyjacker suspension lift on it. The truck has 315/75/16 inch mtr tires on it. As a first time buyer of a diesel truck is there any info I should be aware of when taking this truck into consideration. I am a college student so unexpected expenses are not really welcome. Do I have to be concerned with the life of this trucks turbo or transmission. Thanks for any input.
  • f250guyf250guy Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2004 6 litre 4x4 f250 diesel, and at times when sitting , idling it becomes almost silent...then gets louder...my first diesel. Not sire what to make of it...HELP
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Does your buddy have the maintenance records for the truck? That would be the best indicator of the condition of the truck. If you take care of the 7.3L Powerstroke, it can easily go 250-300K miles before needing a major overhaul.

Few questions: Did he use a coolant additive to prevent cavitation? (Cavitation is bubbles in coolant that can actually erode the cylinder walls and decrease engine life.) Did he tow with it or plow snow? Did he do any engine mods or chip it? If he was conscientious about the maintenance, didn't beat on it, and the rest of the truck is stock, then the truck should be almost worry free.

Few points to check.
    Diesels with their heavy front ends are rough on the ball joints - Ford cheaped out and didn't put grease fittings on them, so the ball joints could be getting a bit creaky by now. The lifted truck also adds to increased chassis wear. Diesel Superdutys are also tough on brake rotors - lotsa folks needed to turn rotors quite often to get rid of brake pulsation.

If he towed with it, there is a chance that he overheated the tranny. The auto tranny was a bit of a problem for folks who towed heavy loads. But from what I've heard, if they were gonna fail they usually failed at lower miles. Many added tranny temp gauge and supplemental coolers to improve reliability if they towed.

If truck is chipped, then there is potential for higher exhaust gas temperatures, which in turn could cause oil break down and premature turbo bearing wear. (THis can also happen if truck towed heavy over long distances and big hills.) Best thing to do if you've been pushing hard is to either drive slowly or let the truck idle for a couple of minutes before shutting down. It allows the turbo to cool down properly and you avoid the oil break down problems

In general, Diesels require a bit more maintenance than a gasser. Need fresh, clean, water free fuel. Regular fuel filter changes. Oil changes are 16 quarts, filters are more expensive. A bit more finicky to start in cold weather. Need to wait for glowplugs to warm up before starting in sub freezing temperatures. In sub-zero weather you will probably need to use the engine block heater.

Diesels get better mileage than a gas engine, but right now diesel is anywhere from $0.25 to $0.40 per gallon more expensive than gas,.... in my area anyway.
  • paintmanpaintman Member Posts: 23
    I ran across a site that claims i can use old restaurant grease with an additive to mix an alternative fuel for my diesel truck that will cost around .46c a gallon with no detrimental effects or alterations required. anyone here ever tried this?
    Basically, that's homemade biodiesel. As long as you prepare it correctly, as per the instructions, it will usually work. Most people use it as an extender to regular diesel - very few are willing to run 100% biodiesel.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • ncfncf Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a 99 F-250 crew cab. The back right door did the same thing and made a thud. I found out it was the lock auctuator. you can order a new part on fordparts.com. it was only about $40 and it was fairly easy to replace
  • merkurmerkur Member Posts: 2
    Help. My 2001 F250 Superduty, (V-8 Gas) 4x4 has issues when it comes to cold starting. As temps get below freezing, it takes more and more tries to start the engine. This increases as the temp drops, so at zero degrees, it could take up to 10 tries before the engine fires. Once it fires, it runs fine. One suggestion was coolant temp sensor (not temp sending unit). I could not locate this on the engine. Any suggestions and or help? Please email off list to .
    TIA
    Karl
    As noted in our Rules of the Road - http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/rulesoftheroad.html - we highly discourage posts requesting off-list emails. It benefits everyone when information is shared here in the Forums... people can often find answers to their questions just by reading previous posts.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host
  • merkurmerkur Member Posts: 2
    Help. My 2001 F250 Superduty, (V-8 Gas) 4x4 has had issues the past two winters when it comes to cold starting. The starter cranks fine, but as temps get below freezing, it takes more and more tries to start the engine. This increases as the temp drops, so at zero degrees, it could take up to 10 tries before the engine fires. Once it fires, it runs fine. One suggestion was coolant temp sensor (not temp sending unit). I could not locate this on the engine. I can't find this thread in the archives; there's info on diesel, but the 5.4 is not discussed.
  • bud11bud11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 F-250. When I make sharp turns at low speeds (10-15 mph), a chime sounds. Does anyone know what this means? The fuel level is fine.
  • alwaysbrokenalwaysbroken Member Posts: 1
    i have a 94 f250 power stroke with fuel pouring out of the(what i call the fuel canister). i am trying to find a salvaged one but not exactly what to call this part. does anyone know what i am talking about and where i can get one.
  • yhcyhc Member Posts: 6
    Good day everyone.

I have a '04 F250 w/6.0L diesel engine. The truck has less than 12,000 miles on it yet it has stalled 4 times in the past 15 months. Usually the engine stalls while going less than 30 mph. The dealer has come up with various diagnosis to include faulty ERGx2, "I don't know but the engine oil weight is too heavy" (for 15W30).

My truck is not on the recall list but the dealer ran diagnostic anyway without them finding any problem. Has anyone dealt with their super duty trucks stalling on you while driving? Do you have any further info? Thanks for your time in advance.

Regards,

YHC
  • jwalkmtnjwalkmtn Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,
    I just purchased my first diesel (wife has horses and trailer). It is a 2000 7.3L Powerstroke with 118K miles. SuperCab with long bed. The truck was sold to me from a small dealer who got it through an auto auction. Needless to say, no maintenance records. I had the local dealer check it out and repair a few items. My question (that the dealer couldn't answer): The turbo is louder than normal. The dealer said it could be OK and go another 100K, or not. The noise (high pitched sound) is most noticeable, when accelerating, and quickly backing off. Any ideas if this is serious, or if I can expect another 100K+??
  • brookshdbrookshd Member Posts: 8
    The new automotive diesels are supposed to idle at 1000 to 1100 rpm's when the ambient temperature is near freezing or below. I don't know how you can "kick it down" with throttle, just tap the brake pedal and idle will drop to shift speed. If you leave it in park or neutral and continue idling and the temp is cold (ambient) the idle will increase again. This is a normal behavior and it is good for wear and tear, electrical as well as engine warm up. Big trucks either have a manual throttle or an electrical switch to accomplish what the 7.3 and 6.0 do for you automatically. :)
    I have a serious intermitant battery drain (1/10 volt per second) and can't trace it. The high output 300 amp alternator was replaced at 35,000 miles. The truck has 58,000 on it now and the alternator is not a problem. I don't think it is related to the contact ring between steering wheel and column. If I'm correct the only malfunction caused by that is no horn or cruise control. I also keep blowing the shift on the fly 4WD relay, could that be related? Speaking of that, when the relay is blown I have no 4WD at all, not even with manual lockouts, is that normal? The batteries are the original and are good (specific gravity and cell voltage) but with the constant drain and recharge or jump start, they will soon be toast, too. Any ideas, suggestions?
  • yrbenderyrbender Member Posts: 25
    Noticed the same problem on the interstate going 75 hit bumps and felt like I lost control of the front end. I have four kids and two in the truck at the time. Luckily it was on a straight strech. Have you found any more info. on this? Do to my kids being in the truck it is a big concern to me. Any one find any more info on this or have it happen to them? Maybe a recall is needed.
    Thanks
    The 7.3 is just getting broke in at 100,000 rounds, thats one reason the motor has the 100K warranty on it.
    If the "loud" noise is like a whistle that rises and falls with power application, that is a good sound. If what you're describing is more like a roar, then check the clamps to and from the intercooler. Usually a few twists with a nut driver on each coupling band, or clamp will do the trick. Also, you don't want the system to be sucking unfiltered ambient temperature air, so it is a good idea to check the tightness every 10,000 miles or so, as a part of maintenance.
  • jwalkmtnjwalkmtn Member Posts: 2
    I wouldn't call it a 'roar', but it's my first diesel and turbo, so just something I noticed. I'll check the clamps, and do so down the road. Thx.
  • roughneck97165roughneck97165 Member Posts: 1
    My ford house c\o exhaust bank sensor and pigtail harness and stalling stopped but it still has slow throttle response from start.I've gotten 1 more recall for fuel inector control module. Maybe one of those could help.
  • kubotamankubotaman Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 superduty 6.0 and love it also. I have 11,000 miles on it have just started getting 19mpg. I travel 400 mile every weekend at 75 mph most of the way. My mpg slowly got better after 8000 miles. i started out at 4 miles getting around 12mpg. My truck is 100% stock.
  • jcgreenbergjcgreenberg Member Posts: 3
    Hello all:

I have a 2006 F-250 Super Duty with the 6.0 Powerstroke. With just 1200 miles, I have had the "Check Engine" light come on 4 times now. The dealership replaced the fuel sending unit 2 weeks ago after 3 of these lights and this morning - just 2 weeks later - the light came on again! From what I understand, the "CODE" has been the same each time! I have an appointment with the service department again tomorrow. Any ideas???
  • bogey4bogey4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 F250 light duty with a 5.4 Triton & 4 spd automatic transmission with 150K miles. Recently started slipping between 3rd & overdrive gears with a load on or without a load going up hills. Usually occurs between 40 & 50 mph & low rpms under 2K. Is their a sensor that can cause this problem or does the transmission need to be rebuilt?
  • marzybarkmarzybark Member Posts: 1
    in the F250 normal cab truck, does the front seat have a center shoulder belt or a lap only belt? Im wondering about the 2005 or 2006.
    thanks,
    Mary :confuse:
  • rmzdaddyrmzdaddy Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 99 F250 SuperDuty 7.3 Diesel, LB,4Dr, truck used from private party and it came with some goodies. It already has k&n filter, liftkit, and flowmaster exh. I recently bought the EDGE Evolution power programmer which offers 100 more hp, but recommends a exhaust temp guage to run at this setting. Is that a CYA thing, or is that for real? Also, the flowmaster on my truck is not a straight pipe, it's offset at the muffler....is that an issue?
    Thanks,
    new diesel owner Steve