Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-250 Owners

Comments

• f250guyf250guy Member Posts: 9
    Could some people please tell me what kind of mpg they are getting, and if they have any sucess with upgrades, bio diesel..etc? I have a 04 6 litre diesel 4x4, and at 90.00 a fill up..its killing me :sick: Thanks in advance...
  • stan_top_downstan_top_down Member Posts: 52
    Even though I love my 2001 F250 Diesel (and have had very few problems with it), I had always heard that Ford stood for Fix or Repair Daily.

At the time I bought it (new), it was the only Diesel 4 door truck available - and I've never regretted my decision.
  • stan_top_downstan_top_down Member Posts: 52
    Different year, different engine, but my 2001 7.3L normally gets just under 15 mpg in town. I got just over 16 mpg this last tank, but there was a 60 mile trip out of town on that tankful.

I've been using Love Diesel - it tends to be the most reasonably priced here in town. They sell lots of it, so I know it hasn't been sitting in a tank a long time collecting water from condensation.
  • lzrdking98lzrdking98 Member Posts: 40
    I get 17-18 MPG. Just towed a 10,000lb trailer and averaged 15 mpg for the trip. I am very pleased so far with MPG. It should get better. My truck has only 1000 miles on it. Good luck
  • ls1fanls1fan Member Posts: 2
  • ls1fanls1fan Member Posts: 2
    Anyone had the front tow hook bolts snap off? Was pulling another truck out of the sand, had tow strap wrapped around both front hooks to equal out the load and the bolts on the drivers side hook sheared completely off..all 3 of them.
    I can install new bolts but it bent the bumper too.
  • f250guyf250guy Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to all of you who responded..I reallllly appreciate the input about milage and such..cheers.. ;)
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Why isn't there a floor console in the F-250 Lariat as there is in the F-150?
  • lostcause245lostcause245 Member Posts: 21
    My 01 F-250 Lariat super cab has a floor console similar to the one I had in my 99 F-150, might be an option that is included with the captain chairs.
  • austintxf250sdaustintxf250sd Member Posts: 1
    As for the wheel hop, I have the same truck, and the wheel hop is very scary...especially when going over bridges or bumps when road surfaces change. It seems like the truck wants to jump off of the road...severe hopping, all four tires...almost like the shocks are not doing a thing (or doing too much). Slowing down to about 40mpg causes the problem to correct itself...Extremely dangerous!!! Stock F250 Super Duty...What can be done to fix this...is there a Fix from Ford? I would think that a lot more people have seen this...
  • diver4diver4 Member Posts: 2
    I have 05 6.0 crew cab. It will be one year old on July 8th and I have 26K+ miles.
    I have kept meticulous mileage records and my average is 14.6 MPG. The thing that really aggravates me is that Ford will not do any thing to improve the mileage and will not give a reason. They will only say that if I mess with the chip they will void my warranty. And they wonder why they are losing market share. My email is pulsar@provide.net
  • diver4diver4 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know of a company who makes a ceiling console for the 2005 Crew cab 250 6.0L?
  • paintmanpaintman Member Posts: 23
    my 2000 f250 sometimes the wheel doesnt return after i turn, sometimes it wants to turn right while driving and some days there is no problems? any ideas what is causing this? should i replace the power steering fluid? I saw a power steering filter advertized ,never heard of such a thing b4 (seems worse when cold)
  • rawacarawaca Member Posts: 1
    03 f-250 triton 5.3 has problem with fuel delievery. need to know if my problem is sensor related of injetion troble. (trouble began) engine sputters at all speeds. after new fuel fiter did not help. i put in some injetion cleaner in fuel tank problem now only exists at start up til warm. i now have a warning chime that overides the seatbelt bells. it comes in a sequence of 5 chimes 4 times then stops and comes again about 20 minuets later then nothing until next startup. no services lights come on. the chimes started after the fuel filter & before the cleaner. it was a very bad sputter prior to the cleaner. tried to reset the puter by battery disconect sputter & chimes still there. any input would be appreciated.
    It sounds like the control valve to the gear box for your steering. What color was the power steering fluid? Did it have particles in it. If so, fix the control valve and then replace power steering fluid with good clean product. Also, you may want to subscribe to www.alldata.com Good luck. Info given to you was furnished by an ASE master mechanic
    There have been many tsb's regarding this problem./ Consult www.alldata.com. I would start with Chevron with Techron. Really good fuel three or four tanks and see if that helps. Is the computer throwing you any codes? You didn't say it was so, I assume it isn't. The chime thing sounds like a seatbelt sensor. How are your fuel pumps? Sometimes they can be heat related issues with these pumps. Injectors shouldn't be so dirty to render your truck this way in just three years. Unless you drive in very poor conditions. But, the injectors could be the problem. I would look towards the fuel delivery system and have the computer read with a scan tool. Good luck
  • phailphail Member Posts: 1
    There is a Ford TSB for steering wheel oscillation. TSB 05-22-1 I have problems with the steering wheel jerking when I hit a bump. My local Dealer has done the work specified in the TSB and there is no difference. They have had several trucks with this problem and no luck fixing the problem. I also installed an after market steering stabilizer and it makes the problem a little better but not acceptable.
    I have a 06 crew cab with 2700 miles on it and it drives like it has 200,000 miles. LOOKS LIKE FORD HAS MORE PROBLEMS!!!! Let me know if you find a fix I am about ready to trade for a Toyota
  • vbtacklevbtackle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 F-250 Super Duty with the V-10 Gas engine. The original battery finally went bad. I replaced the Battery and ever since then the keyless entry will not work. Also the stereo won't shut off automatically, the dome lights don't shut off automatically and the door ajar light stays on all the time and the door locks will not work when you hit the switch. You have to be lock it manuals. Any Ideas on what the problem could be.
  • cranecrewcranecrew Member Posts: 27
    My wipers come on without turning the switch on. Sometimes they only cycle once then other times will stay on for 10 minutes. I've replaced the multi-function switch in the steering column. No difference...Any ideas?
    my 2000 f250 7.3 ext cab door ajar light on , dome light goes on every time i stop ie red light , park goes off when i accelerate , any one got an explanation on this?
    fluid was not low , red in color, and no apparent particles
    this problem is intermitant which is making it very difficult to find the cause
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    You've got crud in the door switches. It prevents the switch from going back to its full return position. Next time you hit a bump, accelerate, shift gears etc., the switch makes contact and the light turns on.

Take a can of WD-40 and drown the door switch actuator. Manually move it back and forth a few times and spray it again. Repeat as needed. Should solve your problem for a long time.
  • sveirge1sveirge1 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same issue with my 99 f250. While pulling a hill on a pass, I lost power. It seemed like a fuel problem, and the transmission began to lug after words. It mainly only happens on a steep grade. My brother had a similar problem with his f250 and ended up replacing the injector coil twice. I took the truck to a local auto parts store where they will lend you a diagnostic computer, and the report said that the fuel was lean and pressure was high. I think I must be having either injector or injector coil issues as well. Anyone have any additional advice??
  • jebickljebickl Member Posts: 1
    As a lot of other people are doing, I am looking to improve
    MPG. I currently have a '03, 6.0L, 250SD that gets me about
    18 MPG. I have been told that if I chip the truck, put on
    4 inch exhaust and a K&N air filter, my mileage will improve
    significantly, upwards of 25 MPG.

I am not too mechanically inclined, but that sounds too good
    to be true.

Anyone have experience with improving MPG using the chips
    and air flow?
    Don't believe everything you hear. You've got a heavy truck with the aerodynamics of a barn door. If you're getting 18 mpg, you're already doing great! I've got a guy down the road from me with an '04, F250 crew, 4x4 that only gets 13-14 mpg no matter how he drives. Of course that's still better than my V10. :cry:
  • birddawgbirddawg Member Posts: 7
    Hello! My name is James, and I'm a proud owner of a New Ford truck with the PowerStroke diesel. I figured I would do some searching for a good forum for Ford truck owners, and here it is. This is my 2nd diesel, but my first one doesn't really count. It was a Jeep :lemon: Liberty diesel and I only owned it for 2 months.

I was just wondering if anybody on here has a 2006, and if he or she is having any problems. I read a few of the posts, but most seem to refer to earlier models, and gas v-8's. I have noticed one problem mentioned on here. The exhaust fumes in the cab when sitting at idle. I'll have to get that checked out. Well I'll keep this short. Look forward to hearing from all of you.

James
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have decided to hold on to their current pickup truck, rather than purchasing a new one. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 9, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what pickup truck you currently own.
  • tim79tim79 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 F-250 with about 17000 miles on it and the clutch went out on it. I took it to the dealer and of course it's not under warranty. When they replaced the clutch, they said it was so far gone it messed up the starter. Total to replace both, $2500 and change for a truck that doesn't even have 20000 miles on it. This is a work truck and I do use it to haul things, but isn't that what it was built for? I know how to drive, I have 3 standard transmission trucks and and a Jeep wrangler and a Mustang that are both standards. I have a '94 Chevy 3500 that has 90000 miles on it and has had one clutch put in it. I Just think it's rediculous to put $2500 in a brand new truck when I have a '94 chevy that I don't pay that much to maintain. Does something seem wrong here or should I just shut up and pay the money? Any help would be appreciated.
  • pstroke6pstroke6 Member Posts: 2
    If you are getting 18 mpg then leave it alone. I have the same vehicle but a '06 with 6.0L 250SD 3:73gr 4x4 and I am lucky to get 15 mpg. I have heard of too many people changing the exhaust and adding chips then have turbo and engine problems not covered by factory
  • truckfixrtruckfixr Member Posts: 4
    HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP I HAVE AN 1989 F250 4X4 5.0 NO A/C MY PROBLEM IS THE BED OF THE TRUCK WAS HIT SO I BOUGHT A USED BED WHEN I HAD THE BED OFF I CHANGED THE REAR FUEL TANK AND FUEL PUMP ASSY "BOUGHT RIGHT FROM FORD" THE REAR FUEL PUMP NEVER WORKED WHEN I BOUGHT THE TRUCK SO I FIGURED NOW IS THE BEST TIME TO CHANGE IT NOW MY PROBLEM IS WHEN I SWITCH FROM REAR TANK TO FRONT TANK THE GAUGE SHOWS WHAT IS IN THE FRONT TANK BUT IT BURNS WHATS IN THE REAR TANK THE SYSTEM I HAVE IS TWO LOW PRESSURE PUMPS AND ONE HIGH PRESSURE ON THE FRAME RAIL NO SOLINIOD ON FRAME RAIL TO SWITCH TANKS I CALLED FORD GAVE THEM THE VIN # and they said the only thing the switches tanks is the front rear tank switch i changed it still having problems please help!!!!
  • workaholicworkaholic Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 F250 and only get about 8 mpg :cry: . Am looking into replacing catalytic converter or muffler. Any idea if this will help?
  • herk37herk37 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am planning to buy a 03-05 F-250PSD crew cab to pull a 32 ft / 7000 lbs travel trailer. I know that the F-250 is more than capable to do what I need it to do. While searching for a good used F-250, I ran across a 2004 F-350PSD. It is a nice truck, for a descent price.

Are there any disadvantages in buying the F-350? Do they use more fuel? Rougher ride? I don’t really need the extra capability of the F-350, so if there are disadvantages, I’ll probably pass on this one and keep looking for an F-250.

I’ve never owned a Super Duty diesel truck before, so any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
    today my 2000 f250 while driving down the highway all of a sudden it was just like driving on rumble strips , I slowed down almost to a stop and drove again and it was fine for a while then it happened 2 more times on a 50 mile trip I inspected underneath and cant see anything it also was doing it when i put the truck in neutral so i dont think it was tranny, this also happened about a year ago and went away until today ?
    For '03 & '04, the F250 had a smaller payload capacity than the F350, by about 1200 lbs or so. Both vehicle could still tow the same load, but you could put more weight on the hitch of the F350 and carry more junk in the cab or bed without worry about being legally overloaded.

Starting in '05 suspensions on Superduties were upgraded and the F250 didn't have the payload shortcoming anymore.

Be sorta wary of the '03 PSD. That was the first year that the 6.0L Diesel came out. There were a lot of birthing pains with it, and there were a fair number of them that just ran crummy. Ford bought some of them back as Lemons :lemon: and tried to make them right. They eventually resold them in auctions, etc., so those trucks are out there. I know some states require the trucks titles to show that they were declared "lemons" but not everywhere. So if you're looking at an '03, give a lot of test driving. :confuse:
  • olblue68olblue68 Member Posts: 2
    GOD I LOVE FORD TRUCKS! Hey I want to put bigger tires on my '03 F250, does anyone know if 305-70-16 will work without lifting the truck? Some tire stores tell me I have to put a lift kit on it.
    Well said, very good info. Listen to wpalkowski.
    Go to any reputable tire store on line and type in your truck info. Once the site has your truck info, it will tell you which sizes your truck can safely drive with. I would only purchase tires that can handle the loads and trailering needs for the tires if I were you. Unless you do not trailer or have heavy payloads. An E rating for your load should be what you should have for that type of pick up. Tire stores will sell you anything, so becareful.

Troy
  • cartwdgcartwdg Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 F-250 4X4 with 305-70-R16 BFG All Terrain KO. I love them. I did have a set of all terrain Mastercrafts which had a good tread wear, but were bouncier than the BFG's. However if your ride is not 4X4 I don't think they will fit.
    I have an '02 F-250 Superduty 5.4L V-8 4X4 with 86000mi. I want to boost the performance, but most forums only talk about the desil performance upgrades. The truck runs great, but "more power is more better". I have only added a K&N Filter and revised my exhaust to be semi-dual (cat-back). I would like to make it true dual with headers, but I am not sure if this is even possible with how the cats and sensors are set-up. Any ideas?
  • olblue68olblue68 Member Posts: 2
    Yes it is a 4x4, guess I forgot to mention that. I want to get a set of Mickey Thompson MTX Baja Radials (305-70-16) and put them on 16X8 wheels. Some people say the front tires will rub the bumper. But I have a hard time believing that, I could see it if you hit a bad bump real hard while turning. Guess I won't really know until I try it.
    I did have the Mastercraft Tires rub a little but since the BFG's I had no rub. They are supposedly the same size, but I think the BFG are a little taller and narrower than the Mastercrafts. I don't see any issue with going to the MT's. However, you may still want to ask the sales rep when you get the tires.
  • herk37herk37 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for your advice. I did not know about the payload issue or about the problems with the '03 models.

I will definitely take what you've said into consideration when I choose my truck.

Thanks again.
    Glad to help. Payload issue isn't real big on the older Superduties. But a '350 isn't all that much more expensive than the '250, and gives a big boost in "legal" load capacity. The 250 will still carry the load without complaint, but there's always a chance of liabilty if you ever had an accident and they found that you were overloaded compared to what's printed on the door sticker.

Most of the '03 6.0 PSDs have had the kinks worked out under warranty. But I'd still be wary. Even though the truck's used, it's still a lotta money to pay out and end up with something that runs weird. Later models by and large are less risky.
  • kesskess Member Posts: 1
    May be the cam sensor.
  • rscott6rscott6 Member Posts: 20
    I also have an '05 6.0 Crew Cab. 4X2 shortbed, auto. Last
    week I drove 240 miles at 71 mph w/cruse. I got 20.4 mpg.
    The trip back with traffic and some 75 mph I got 19.1 mpg.
    I drive in bumper to bumper on half of my trip to work and
    that is around 14-15 mpg..this week I'm going back to Az. at
    69 mph w/cruse and we will see.. usually anything over 70
    will cut the mileage back. Mine runs great at 71 mph. Try
    that.. :shades:
    Back from Az. and couldn't keep it at 69, didn't want to get
    run over. Had to keep it at 71, in the power band w/cruise
    and that's the best I got on the MPG....20.4. Probably
    could do better at 69, I didn't want to be on the road that
    much longer. 4 hrs. was enough going 245 miles...Diesel in Parker, Az. was only $2.39 vs. the $2.79 in San Dimas.
  • newfordguynewfordguy Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just bought a F-250 crew cab and need to modify 2 things:

1- Is there a way I could replace the headlights to
    give it a different look ?

2- Can I purchase the computer used to modify the
    truck's parameters as I need to reprogram the tire
    size from 20 inches to 17 for the winter season.

Thanks!
  • santaf250santaf250 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I just joined this forum and read your messages. I have an 06 F250 4x4 powerstroke. I too like to keep track of my mpg's. Right now it is stock, which modifications do you have on your truck. I understand 4x4's lose some on the mpg's.
    Everything on my truck is stock. The only thing I've done is put a 3X5 opening in front of my air intake that connects
    to the air filter. I understand that the plate there keeps the noise down, but with the opening for more air there isn't that much more noise. Also mine is plastic and I think yours is metal. That might leave a mark.
  • msmith6856msmith6856 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 F-250 crew cab 6.0 powerstroke. When I am climbing a steep grade pulling a trailer (6500#'s), I hear a whining noise, that I believe is the engines cooling fan when it is engaged. The problem I have, is that it goes in and out like the clutch is not staying locked. The whining I hear, sounds like the fan is locking up and then locking out. Almost like a siren would sound like with varing rpm's, Any ideas? The outside temp's are around 85 degrees.