Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab European Delivery

dafohosmendafohosmen Member Posts: 21
edited March 2014 in Saab
Has anyone experienced or known someone who recently experienced the european delivery program with Saab. I am looking at purchasing a 2004 93 Aero manual and picking it up at the main factory in Trolhattan. We have family in Sweden, so it would be a nice trip for us, and it would essentially cost nothing. Picking up and dropping of in Gothenburg Sweden is free, they supposedly give you $1000 in travel expenses, and you get to break in your car in the wonderful scenery of Sweden. The only other expense is insurance while you are there, which is about $200. I believe I would save about $3-4000 on the car. The literature on it says you take 8% off of MSRP. Does anyone know if you can negotiate then take off 8%, or is it just 8%? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is this worth it or not?

Comments

• gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    It just depends.... If you were planning to go to Sweden, it is worth it. They pay for 2 plane tickets, first night stay, dinner and breakfast. You take delivery at a site near the factory and have the opportunity to take it out on their track. After that, you either have the choice of leaving it or driving it around the country (have to buy insurance) for a few weeks. If you do chose to go, don't forget the SAAB museum.

At 8% of MSRP, that should get you about $700 under invoice + $1000 (implied value for tickets, hotel and food)... Last time I checked, there was a $3000 to $4000 incentive (and sometimes more if you choose SmartBuy) to purchase here. So, it works out to be about the same price either here or there. Question is, do you want to go to Sweden? If you do, this is a great package and there is an opportunity to see Sweden!

Oh, almost forgot. When taking delivery, you have a chance to get extra options (some of which are not available in the US).
  • dafohosmendafohosmen Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the input. We were not necessarily planning to go to Sweden, but it had been part of a long-term pkan for some point during our lives.

When you say they pay for 2 plane tickets, 1st night stay and two meals, is that what they call $1000 in travel expenditures. I was under the impression that the first nights stay and two meals were included, then they just cut you a check for $1000 to spend wherever you would like. The salesman at the dealership didnt really know much about the program, he just gave me the pamphlet. That is in the info I gathered from reading the pamphlet numerous times. I think I would rather have them just pay for my flight. Tickets from Indianapolis are about $6-700 each right now.

Also, what options would be available that are not available in the U.S.? Is there anywhere I can go more in depth about this and speak to someone who really knows this program? Configuring my car exactly to my needs is a big plus for me. Also, breaking in a car on the track at the factory as well as the winding countryside of Sweden is intriguing as well.

Finally, is there a reason you are going away from Saab for your next car? I noticed you have a 2001 Saab 93 but are looking at a new TL. Thanks again for your thoughts.
  • gjl3gjl3 Member Posts: 9
    I have not done this recently; but did it on my 1995 900. It was wonderful, we picked the car up at the factory and toured Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland before dropping it off in Frankfurt. Aside from the very high end hotel near the factory, there was a program to get a good discount at other Relais & Chateaux type hotels.
    There was no negotiation on the price.
    I wanted to do it on my 2003 9-3SS but the program was not yet available on the new model when I bought it.
    I just got off the phone with a Saab customer service representative who attempted to explain to me how the cutomization of my future vehicle would work if I utilized the european delivery program.

She said that even though I am picking up the car in Sweden, the car is still built to U.S. specs and thus only options that are available to U.S. buyers would be available to me.

I think she was mistaken, but input from other would be appreciated. For instance, there are two other options for sport seats on the 93 Aero in other countries, as well as a turbo diesel engine. I want to know if I can purchase things like that. I dont necessarily want those things, just to know if I have access to them.

Also, has anyone heard if they are bringing back 0% financing?
    Hey there.... What I meant by extra options were aftermarket stuff... On the model I have, there were extra cupholder slots in the doors. You couldn't get the attachments here in the US but could in Sweden.

As for the diesels, they are Euro spec'd...not for the US market. Equip the vehicle as you would a US car and if you want the extras such as hood protector, etc... get it in Sweden. You get the stuff a little cheaper and there is no tax (if I remember correctly).

On to my car decision, have you driven the previous SAAB 9-3? It had flaws, wasn't as sporty but it was RELIABLE and had CLASSY materials. I have driven a couple of the new 9-3's and am just not impressed. Not to mention, one of the cars I had stalled on a busy street. Scared the living daylights out of me.

My SmartBuy terminates next March so I am still shopping. I like the 2004 TL, 2004 Accord and the 9-5.
    What do you mean by a previous 9-3? 2003, or like 1999? I have only driven the 2003 Arc manual and a 2004 Aero Manual. All of the stalling problems I have heard of relate to the automatic transmission. I have also seen very good reports about the cars safety and dependability. I am a pretty big fan of the car right now, and being able to take advantage of the delivery at the factory is just icing on the cake. It should be great fun and maybe I will start to get all of my future cars that way.
  • lcp1lcp1 Member Posts: 14
    The main negatives regarding Saab I.D.S.delivery
    that most prospective buyers are not aware of:
     First and foremost-you can not use any of the
    dealer subsidized programs-purchase pricing
    subsidies,leasing or financing programs(such as
    0% financing.Secondly,after returning to the U.S.
    your car will not be at your providing dealer for
    anywhere from 6-8 weeks(shipping time from Sweden)
     Finally and often the killer---payment in full
    has to be made in full 30 days before delivery ruling out any type of conventional auto financing
    or leasing options.This makes the car in most cases either a cash or equity line of credit purchase.This is because a lien cannot be entered
    until time of vehicle registration which will not
    occur until after that 6-8 week shipping period
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Lcp1, nice post. How though do the other car manufacturers do it? Surely, the overseas delivery program must get around this somehow. Leasing?
    By previous generation, I mean the 1999-2002 9-3's. As for Euro pickup, yes 100% finance is expected on the day you pick up the car UNLESS you finance thru SAAB Financial Services. If you chose SFSC, there is a "delayed" payment of sorts that SAAB has figured out. For greater detail you would have to contact them.

Pickup in Sweden or purchase in the USA, either way you are getting a good deal. Here in the US, you get cash incentives.... In Sweden, you get around invoice + travel expenses....
  • lcp1lcp1 Member Posts: 14
    Unfortunately GBrianK you are incorrect regarding
    financing options for Euro delivery thru S.F.S.C.
    None are available(I called them).The crux of the
    problem has to do with the lien registering the
    car as collateral for the note which has to be
    done at the time of vehicle registration in your
    state of residence As we already discussed,
    payment and stateside delivery/vehicle registration may be as much as 3 months apart.
    there is no way for the lending institution to
    secure their note during this period.
  • cubby5cubby5 Member Posts: 1
    I asked that this discussion be reopened, as we are considering buying a 2004 9-5 Linear Sport Wagon through this program.

Has anyone purchased a car through this program lately? I have the same question as Dafohosman: can you negotiate the price - the deal now is 9% off of the MSRP, but can I negotiate the MSRP?

Second, and I plan to call Saab about this since I've requested information from them on the program twice and have twice gotten their general brochure on the 2004 models, can the travel allowance be used for any travel-related expense? I am planning to use frequent flyer miles to get to Europe, but obviously lodging, meals, travel w/in Europe will cost something, so I would prefer to not use the travel allowance for the airfare.

By the way, I got an email from Saab saying that the travel allowance is now $2000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • steve322steve322 Member Posts: 3
    Am interested in doing the Euro Delivery on a Saab convertible. Was curious as to whether I could get more of a discount than the quoted discount on the website.
    Also...any chance the car could be leased?

Thanks!!
  • lmjmlmjm Member Posts: 3
    I have been trying to puchase a 2006 9-3 Aero through the European delivery program, and it has been an absolute nuisance. Several dealers knew nothing about and just made up stuff. Than one Saab place that is part of a large group sent me on to their Volvo guy doing European deliveries. He too has excelled in providing incorrect information and secrecy. For example, he said 5-6 weeks for delivery in Sweden, and 6-7 for delivery everywhere else. When I asked him to confirm with Saab that they could guarantee having it there in 7 weeks, he came back with a date that was 11 (!) weeks later. When I asked about the travel stipend, he sometimes said it was a voucher for future trips and other times said that it is (and this is what he know still insists) a check in the mail. And there are many other examples just like that. I just have no way of knowing what is true and what is made up...

Similarly, he keeps saying "Just come in and we'll determine your individualized financing rate after you pay the $1,000 deposit." My credit score is in the excellent range so he should be able to tell me what that would qualify for if the credit check does indeed confirm an excellent score, but he refuses to tell me until we do a credit application _after_ I give the $1,000. Always more "Don't worry, just come in and sign the paperwork, it's easy." Given that for European delivery there seem to be no financing options other than through GM itself, I find this truly unacceptable.

Anybody any insights/suggestions, especially re the financing....?

Thank you in advance.
  • steve322steve322 Member Posts: 3
    I have found the same thing in the Chicagoland area. None of the dealers know much about the Euro Delivery Programme. Went to Perillo in the city with the printout from Saab USA customer service on the financing bit and the salesman at the dealer told me that they do not finance the cars.
  • lmjmlmjm Member Posts: 3
    At one point, a dealer said they could only provide financing to diplomats and people in the military. Then later he changed his mind and said he didn't know that it is for everyone.

But...you're actually lucky that you did not get financing. As mentioned before, one dealer refused to give me financing info unless I would first pay a $1,000 deposit. Today I found out from another dealer why: even with an excellent credit score the GMAC financing for the Saab European Delivery is fixed at 9.2%. Yup, after less than 2 years of payments, Saab would have recoverd not only what you saved on ED but also a lot more and the car would actually cost a couple thousand MORE than buying from dealer stock. True, nice vacation and all of that plus opportunity to drive your car in Europe but also a very very very long wait (order to pick up as well as drop off to arrival in U.S.) for a more expensive car....
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,158
    Wow, the financing part is tough, cause nobody else would accept to pony up money for an untitled vehicle. So, they can get you when you think you're done. 9.2 percent is a nice rate, indeed :surprise: :mad:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• georgekgeorgek Member Posts: 50
    You may want to find a new bank. Both my bank and my credit union were willing to finance delivery in Trollhattan as long as I could give them a VIN number.

The $1000 deposit is required by SAAB USA to confirm the order.

I ended-up buying the car here because the military/diplomatic price is about the same, net, as taking delivery in Sweden.
  • fwulfersfwulfers Member Posts: 2
    My dealer in southern California is great, the process has been very easy so far. I financed through Capital One and there were no problems. Well, I know for sure when I pick up my car in Trollhattan next monday :). I would suggest finding an honest dealer that isn't pushy. I have a blog about my experience with the IDS program, check it out when you want more details. http://wulfers.net/saab/index.html
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    I have never encountered a finance organization of any type,bank or credit union,that would do a conventional car loan on a European delivery.The car is the collateral on the note and as such the title must be encumbered .The lien can not be executed until the title is issued which will not happen until the car is registered in the owners state of residence.Payment in full is required by Saab 30 days before delivery and the car does not arrive at the U.S.dealer for app.another 6-8 weeks after delivery,so you have a period of anywhere from app 90-120 days where the finance co. has no collaterall.I think you better get a clarification on this.S.F.S.C briefly (less than a year)offered Euro-delivery financing but with the advent of G.M.A.C. no provision exists at this time.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    (off topic) Just wanted to say I checked out your website and loved your pictures of Michigan and of your "girls!" Are you from the U.P.? I spent a good part of my childhood, as well a few recent visits, there as my grandparents and other relatives lived way up in the Keewanau. "God's own country" once we crossed the straits (and that was by ferry when I was a small child - I actually got to watch "Mighty Mac" being built in the mid-50's.) Anyway, you've captured some lovely pictures of the area. Well done.
  • fwulfersfwulfers Member Posts: 2
    I have lived in Michigan for the last 12 years (last 4 in NW Michigan) but recently moved to CA. I spent a lot of time in the U.P. as well, there is just something about that place that makes you want to go back. I miss the northern part of Michigan already, especially in summer time. The winters, however, won't be missed here in sunny CA..
  • kmajkmaj Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a convertible through the IDS program and picked it up at the factory in Sweden. I dropped it off at a Saab authorized drop-off agent on Jan 31, 2006 and paid an extra $540 for the drop off service. As of today July 4, 2006 (OVER FIVE MONTHS LATER) I still don't have my car. It was "lost" for a period of time and then several weeks later when it was "found" I was told that it was damaged in shipment. The drop-off agent gave me the wrong paperwork when I dropped off the car and Saab and it's insurers have been haggling over the paperwork while keeping my car hostage. After over 5 months I decided the IDS program reps weren't getting this resolved so I tried to contact the head of Saab US. My call was returned by a customer service rep who acted like I was calling about a defective battery. She never once offered to help me solve the problem and kept saying I had to work with the IDS department. Then I faxed a letter to the CEO of GM and finally persuaded a sympathetic operator to let me talked to one of the executives assistants. She was about to blow me off as well when I got her to agree to just listen to my story. Appears that she's gotten someone to help me and I may get my car released within a week. Apparently this is a regular event since Saab's insurer has stated that it has happened with some frequency that cars are damaged and that customers are given improper paperwork by authorized drop-off agents. So don't believe the quoted 6 to 8 week US delivery.
  • tonertoner Member Posts: 1
    I am still waiting for my car here in CA, and have been wondering if it is due to damage. Saab IDS and dealer cannot (or will not) tell me what is going on, where car is, etc. I suggest that you post this experience on the Saab Net bulleting board at www.saabnet.com, where many discussions on Saab experiences take place. Have they resolved this problem to your satisfaction?
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Due to some of the misinformation over the last several months I have copied several posts from last summer from the European Delivery Board.

We purchased a 2002 BMW 530i, Sport Package, 5 speed through BMW's European Delivery Program. Delivered on July 4, 2002. This July 6th we will take delivery of a 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc Convertible; July 4th did not work with our travel schedule.

BMWs are discounted 7% of the base price(not options), but include insurance; Saab 9-3 Arc Convertibles are discounted over 11% (including options)plus $2000 travel reimbursement; insurance is purchased separately. Advantage-Saab.

BMW meets you at their gate and walks you into their Delivery Center. Saab meets you at the train station, ferry terminal or airport in Gothenburg, chaeuffurs you to Romman Inn, pays for a 3 course dinner, pays for your room and chaeuffurs you to their Delivery Center in the morning. Saab's Delivery Center has to be very terrible not to be Advantage-Saab.

BMW's sticker is negotiable. Saab's is a factory program run by their North American Distributor. Advantage-BMW.

After we return I will add to this concerning delivery experience(BMW's is excellent), car condition(BMW was detailed perfectly and had a full tank of gas and 1.6 miles on the odometer, 1.9 on the trip odometer), drop off experience(Harms in London was seamless) and later delivery time(BMW arrived in Paducah, Ky 40 days after drop off) and car condition(again detailed perfectly and with a full tank of gas).

I would not trade my BMW for anything today. I hope the Saab experience continues to better BMW's. The only problem so far is GM's Employee Pricing Program. There is very little difference with list prices now and resale will be impacted forever. This is the 4th time I've been GMed.

Next message:

Picking up in Trollhattan, dropping off in Gothenburg via Oslo, Lillehammer, Svag(?), Upsalla, Visby, Copenhagen and Skagen.

Quantrell Cadillac, Volvo, Hummer has had the Saab franchise for about a year. Ours is there first ED sale. Our saleslady actually works Volvos, but handles all of their EDs. She said Saab was much better to work with than Volvo.

I'm hoping Swedish and Danish beaches with a Saab Convertible are just as nice as Switzerland with a BMW.

Continuation of #176

Delivery experience. Saab provides transportation to the delivery center which is a Saab Dealer in Trollhattan. The car is under cover in a large garage area. We forgot to look at the Saab store for individual items. Saab provided a very good European Road Atlas and gave us a Saab key ring. Time in and out was less than an hour. Draw with BMW.

Car condition at delivery. Car was detailed perfectly, but only had 3/4 tank of gas and had 1.3 miles on the trip odometer. Advantage BMW

I expect the car to be delivered in excellent condition in 6-8 weeks. Saab's overall experience is better than BMW's, but the difference is not enough to determine which car to purchase. Also, restaurants we found in Sweden, Norway and Denmark were better than the restaurants we found in Germany, Switzerland, France, Ireland and England 3 years ago.

Continuation of #183

We pick up our Saab 9-3 Convertible this evening, 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

We had no problems with either program. We also have had no problems with either car since redelivery, the BMW has over 70,000 miles and the Saab has over 15,000 miles. I sometimes wander if ED cars are better prepared.

Also, a car can be financed with the VIN number, you do not get a title till 30 days or so after initial registration. You will have the VIN number when purchase of an ED car is required.
  • clarksavageclarksavage Member Posts: 3
    Since one should always try to have something positive to say, I'll start with how much I love my 2006 9-3 2.0T Sportcombi. I had a blast driving it around Europe for 6 weeks!

Sadly, almost every aspect of the process that involved Saab USA was marred with problems. They failed to inform me of a change in hotels. So, the taxi took us on a 2.5 hour RT from the airport, to the wrong hotel and back into Gothenberg before it was all straightened out. With my wife, 8yo and 10yo along after a full day of travel, it wasn't a good start.

Fortunately Saab Sweden got everything right and the pick-up and vacation went perfectly. Dropped the car in London and it was shipped to LA--arriving on Aug 31.

Saab USA sent me a letter stating that the car would arrive by Sep 15--which I figured gave them a few days extra in case customs was slow. But, the 15th came and no car, no call. I called Saab IDS on Sep 15 and was told they would track down my car and let me know its status. On Sep 18, I called again and left a message to call me back. On Sep 19 I had the sales manager from my local dealer call Saab IDS--he didn't get any help either.

So, now it's Sep 22. I called Saab IDS and got through--but they still can't tell me where my car is or when it will arrive. I was told by Saab IDS that it cleared customs on Sep 18, but the port broker's paperwork that was sent to me states that the car was inspected on Sep 11.

Meanwhile, I have to send another loan payment off for my missing car...

It's no way to run a business.

Saab-less in Seattle
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    Europoen delivery in Sweden is the most fun I ever had buying a car. The people at SAAB in Sweden do every thing they can to make your stay in Sweden something to really remember. Europeon delivery is only a "deal" if you can pay cash for the car. If you ever wanted to go to Sweden this is the way to do it because SAAB gives you the $2000 travel voucher. SAAB has events thru the Europen delivery program; my kids and I went to the Swedish Open tennis tournment courtesy of SAAB perks from SAAB: Tournament tickets, free parking, free lunch at VIP tent, free snacks at stadium booth; they really appreciate and want your business. Sweden is a great country for touring other than Stockholm there is NO traffic and all the major hi-ways are posted 110 or 120 KPH and all the gas is 95 octane. Hey if my teenagers want to go back it must be a good time..those Swedish girls!
  • mnmcglynnmnmcglynn Member Posts: 1
    I had a great time in norway and sweden. Even though I was told the wrong hotel and had to stay in town. I had asked for the contact information before I left but Saab refused to give it too. I was able to get a hold of someone and they were very nice picked up the hotel bill and paid me for the cab.

The car was awesome and going to the factory was a blast. I drove away telling myself I would not ever buy a new car without doing the european delivery again.

Well I dropped off the car on June 8th and I still do not have my car. The endless list of excuse and not meeting the promises has now made me just want to have them keep the car.

In short, it took them 31 days to find my car. Then I was promised it would make the very next boat. Missed that one and it made the second one. Then I was promised it would clear customs before it landed and I would get the car asap.

Well it took a week to clear customs, and now it has taken over another additional week to get to me from the port. which is only 300 miles away from me.

It is clear that getting the cars home to people is not a priority. They have your money and just don't care.

I would recommend that if you are considering doing this just don't believe that you will see you car in the near future.
  • nordicarmynordicarmy Member Posts: 1
    If you want to combine your purchase of a new Saab with a nice vacation in Europe this is just awesome.
    You can pick from 16 European cities to pick up your new car from. Saab will give you 9% discount off MSRP, but taxes, insurance, titel, dealer and reg fees are extra. They will also give you a $2,000 travel bonus.
    Facts can be found here:
    www.saabusa.com/europeandelivery
    I am tempted buying a 93 next summer and then trade it in when the new 95 comes out...
    Arne, Millington, TN
  • wheussnerwheussner Member Posts: 3
    Greetings,

As a SAAB Sales Representative I would be glad to answer any questions regarding the Eurpean Delivery Program.

Sincerely,
    Bill
  • jeff66jeff66 Member Posts: 1
    What financing options are available to European Delivery?
    Does the Saab customer loyalty incentive apply?

When will the pricing be available for the 08s, now that Euro Delivery is no longer avail for 07s?

Is there a way to do Euro Delivery and lease?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    current 03 9-3 loyalist
  • athehunathehun Member Posts: 1
    Jeff,
    We just purchased a Saab through IDS and financed it with a conventional car loan from our Credit Union. We had to wait for Saab to provide us the VIN number to finalize the loan. Three days after paying for the car, we received the $2000.00 check from Saab in the mail. Scheduled to pick up the car in Germany, second week of June.
    Jeff,

I spoke with the SAAB European Delivery Department today and found out the pricing for European delivery of the 2008 models will be available around October 1st.

Also, Financing options are available once the vehicle has been built and the dealership has the Certificate of Origin. This usually occurs at least two weeks prior to your scheduled European delivery date.

In regard to the SAAB loyalty incentive, due to the low fixed price of the vehicle and the $2,000 spending cash no other incentives apply including the loyalty offer.

I was also informed that leasing is not possible on European delivery vehicles.

I hope this helps and would be glad to be of further assistance!

Bill Heussner
    I was misinformed regarding the SAAB customer loyalty incentive.

The fact is that SAAB customer loyalty incentives are actually the only incentive allowed for SAAB European delivery.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    After calling Saab, emails, then finally Detroit (who returned with my answer promptly), I have learned that there is no Saab European delivery for 2008. None, nada, zero! Just when Money Magazine, or Smart Money runs a big article on the best of MB, Audi, BMW, Volvo and Saab claiming Saab has the best program, cancelled for 2008.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Thats more of an indictment of sloppy research on the part of the magazine.That info regarding Saab's suspension of I.D.S deliveries was a matter of record.
  • georgekgeorgek Member Posts: 50
    GM seems to be doing everything it can to discourage people from buying SAABs, at least the 9-5, the replacement for which has been delayed several times. Is there any other 1998 vehicle still on sale as a 2008 model?
This discussion has been closed.