Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Solara Convertible - 2004 and Newer

Comments

• Options
    h20randyh20randy Member Posts: 21
    Yes. I have the same model & year and mine hesitates! I thought it was my driving style. I want it fixed too!
  • Options
    meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Before I bought my `06 I read about this transmission problem in either the Edmonds write up of the Solara or Consumers Reports.

I was told by the service mgr. at my dealership that no fix was available. He suggested using the manual shift function to downshift and stay in the appropriate gear.

Maybe I was too forgiving. I just said OK and goodbye.

I'm dubious about Toyota doing anything on a model that's been discontinued, but I'm willing to be wrong.

Meegwell
  • Options
    mke60mke60 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 with the same hesitation issue. I've heard about this problem before but haven't done anything about it. What can we do?
  • Options
    dkeipdkeip Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any recommended products to use for cleaning and treating the top of my 2007 Solara?
  • Options
    mke60mke60 Member Posts: 18
    Raggtopp makes an excellent product. You can find this at most auto parts stores or on autogeek.net. I have used it on my 2005 Solara's tan top and it still looks brand new. Water beads up on it very nicely.
  • Options
    dkeipdkeip Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the feedback.
  • Options
    anniezmaanniezma Member Posts: 20
    Go back to August 2006 comments: #1057 of 1119 Raggtop Tip by vice Aug 07, 2006 (1:19 pm) There's a few postings regarding Ragg Top and how to use it...
  • Options
    salsaonly2003salsaonly2003 Member Posts: 1
    HI.

It is important to realize something here.

When you roll around, the car engages the clutch. Then the car re-engages in first gear when you press the gas. This makes the car lurch (pause while it chooses first gear, and then push in too high a rev in first gear). This is the gap I think you mean. It IS a design defect, but it is not fixable (because they all came that way) and it is harmless. One way to avoid it is to put the car in second gear (I'm assuming you have the dual manual/automatic transmission which you can switch to manual when you are in a parking lot before a speed bump) and then accelerate.

Just a thought.

Alan in Los Angeles
  • Options
    tyrabtyrab Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I have convertible top problems. I purchased a new 2007 convertible in November of 2006 and had it fixed for leaks in December of 2006 after rain entered my vehicle. Once again I am having the same problem in May of 2007. I have a good amount of water leaking into my vehicle underneath both rearview mirrors when there are heavy rain storms and the carpet is getting wet. I am bringing my car back this week to see if the problem can be resolved. Does anyone have any suggestions if the problem is not resolved after the second attempt???????? :confuse:
  • Options
    08090809 Member Posts: 3
    Have you resolved your water leak issue? I am having the same problem; I am talking with the dealership and Toyota headquarters in California, but not getting anywhere productive at this point. Having had four repair attempts already, Toyota has said all they can do is to repair it because it is a warranty issue and the dealership has promised to replace the car but I have yet to receive one. I'm quite frustrated and disappointed by the way everything has been handled. I had just 200 miles when I noticed the leaks. I defintely feel like a David facing a Goliath. Any body else have suggestions for us?
  • Options
    08090809 Member Posts: 3
    It's about the water leak, for the 5th time. Anybody gone through arnitration with Toyota or filed a lemon law complaint? Please help!!!!!
  • Options
    larryb33607larryb33607 Member Posts: 3
    My new 2008 Solara convertible is hesitating as you describe, but even worse than you seem to be experiencing. It is the one thing about the car that I dislike!!!!
  • Options
    curious19curious19 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a 2002 - 2007 Solara.
    There seems to be a large price difference between the SLE and the SE. I am having difficulty finding out what the differences in options, etc. there are between the two. In other words what do you get on the SLE and not on the SE?
  • Options
    h20randyh20randy Member Posts: 21
    Go for the SLE. With the SLE you get VSC, Vehicle Stability Control. Consumer Reports states that this is a must and the best safety invention since the seat belt. I have the 2006. The other features (leather seats, auto dimming rear view mirror, heated defrost on side mirrors, power heated seats, improved headlights, & more) are really nice too. The resale is better too.
  • Options
    moms_maxmoms_max Member Posts: 62
    Hi everybody...
    I just noticed that when I roll down either of the front windows, and rest my arm on the black molding, it is very brittle and scratches my arm!!! :mad:

I didn't notice this problem last fall. Of course, I didn't do the 'arm thing' during the winter, and was really upset when I noticed it this spring. My 06 vert is always garaged..... has anyone else had this happen? Can the moldings be replaced?
  • Options
    congaboycongaboy Member Posts: 3
    Yes. Toyota is not nice. The arbitrator was not impartial. Someone at the dealership told me that the arbitrators are their people. I am filing a lawsuit and taking other actions. Everyone should also write their state attorney general and the Federal Trade Commission. As many complaints as possible to the Federal Trade Commission will get their attention.

It is also important to inform the local TV investigative reporters. It could also be effective if national investigative shows such as 60 minutes, 20/20 and Prime Time were contacted. Toyota is a large corporation who obviously is not as nice as their reputation. A corporation like this can not afford such a comsumer problem in mainstram news.

Let's all make these SOLARA leaking problems media events. You will hear more from me. Toyota the company of quality cannot afford the world to know this major issue. It will cost them millions maybe billions. Put the word out to all you know everywhere you go. Also post the dealerships where you bought your vehicle.

I bought my Toyota at Bohn Bros. Toyota in Harvey La. (New Orleans Area, they have not been helpful in resolving the problem.)
  • Options
    katyhykatyhy Member Posts: 13
    I am interested in purchasing a convertible soon and test drove an 08 SLE and loved it. I also test drove a new Sebring (interior very cheap) and a new Volkswagen Eos which I loved but my first pick is the Solara. I live in Florida and was wondering what would be a fair price to offer the dealer. The sticker is $34k and includes the NAV. Does the SLE come standard with the stability/traction control or is that extra? I thought it was extra but noticed a previous posting stating that it came standard with the SLE. I hate the whole dealer negotiating price ordeal and just want to get it at a fair price. There are absolutely no incentives/rebates, special financing deals going on right now for the Solara. Thanks for your input!!
  • Options
    patwilson63patwilson63 Member Posts: 5
    Did you purchase the 08 solara convertible?
  • Options
    gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    We just purchased our first Toyota. A 2008 Solara SLE white convertible with the black top and dark charcoal interior. Traded a Ford 500 AWD and really loved the comfort of the 500. Like the SLE even better. Great driver. Moved the inside mirror up as high as the ball and socket would let me and the vision to the rear is better. The only foible is the Nav system. I am going back for a 'seminar' as to how to program and work it. My Garmin Nuvi is light years beyond this system! I can't figure out why the JBL radio didn't come with it's own manual. The Nav has two - a quick one and a thick one but neither is intuitive. Tried to program an actual address and street and the system stated that there was no such address!
    If anyone knows other newer Solara convertible message boards I'm all ears!
  • Options
    The thick Navigation manual has how to use the JBL system further toward the back of the manual.. Only found it because I tried to gleen something useful from the thick how to manual on the Nav system.You would think that the front of the manual would have said "including the JBL audio system along with the Nav system!
  • Options
    When driving my 2008 Solara convertible with the top down, the rear seat belts start to flutter and make noise because of the wind. Does this happens to others or is there a way of stopping this short of putting the top back up? If I buckle the belts I don't think that would solve the problem.
  • Options
    Can someone point me in the right direction to find the build date for my Solara? I did a search but to no avail.
  • Options
    Incase anyone else needs to know.

The build date is located on the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) Plate located on the drivers side door frame.
  • Options
    fcollingtonfcollington Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the air bag light stay on and had it checked at the dealer. They said the side air bag was bad and must be replaced ($1450). A day later they said further tests with the new air bag installed showed the main computer was bad. The computer is still under warranty, but I'm wondering if I'm getting scammed on the airbag.

If the computer was bad, how reliable is its analysis of the original air bag? I'm supposed to believe that an air bag went bad, causing a 'short' that fried the computer. Is this believable to anyone else? Or do you also smell a service dept. covering its [non-permissible content removed]?
  • Options
    You didn't say how old the car was but I do smell something with the dealers answer. I think being a safety issue the main computer and airbag would both be under warranty if they truely are related. How did they test the new airbag with the old fried computer? And if the computer was fried then wouldn't that show up the same day as when the old airbag tested to be bad? Sure smacks of coverup to me.
  • Options
    My 2008 warranty information states that the restraint system is warrantyed for 6 years or 60,000 Miles. Maybe your car is covered by this as well.
  • Options
    I experienced the same thing. I tucked the rear belts in along the sides of the seats, between the seat & the 'wall'. Solved the problem! I can't take credit for the idea, tho...I think I remember reading it somewhere on one of these forums.... :P
  • Options
    I did tuck the belts in as you described and so far so good. I just was wondering if that was the only solution.
  • Options
    Hi topgear - long time no post!!!
    Due to LOTS of 'out-of-state parent medical issues' and resulting travel, the purchase of my backup camera has been postponed. But...I AM READY!
    I went to the Crutchfield site, saw the BEC106 that you have...and also saw a 'Boyo License Plate Camera' (I think these are new....)
    http://www.crutchfield.com/g_277650/Rear-view-Cameras.html
    What do you think? My initial impression is that it might be too noticeable (possibility for theft) - do you agree? Is your unit pretty well incognito??
  • Options
    ajb2danceajb2dance Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used (slightly) '07 or '08 Solara SLE. However, after reading about the water leakage problem, I am very concerned. Is this still a problem on the '07 or '08 models? Does anyone know if there are any huge differences between the two model years?
  • Options
    froghamfrogham Member Posts: 3
    My uncle has a leased 2006 SLE convertible expiring in January. I was thinking of buying it from him and wondering if anyone has a good check list of things to watch. In searching these forums, the following have been the big things that I am going to look for.

1) Leaking roof. Says he hasn't had a leak so far. Is there a way I can confirm this without taking the car to the car wash? :-)
    2) Body shake. This is pretty easy to confirm/deny.
    3) Hesitation on acceleration. Again-pretty easy to confirm.
    4) Odors. Didn't smell anything when riding in it.

What other major things could I be missing? BTW, from what I have seen, my uncle takes very good care of his leased vehicles and doesn't gain anything to profit.
  • Options
    How about mileage and that would determine major maintainence if needed, also check tire condition. It sounds as though you aren't quite sure that your uncle is giving you the straight scoop as to the condition of the car so run a carfax inquiry or bring it to a mechanic that you trust to check it out..
    Can you get the maintanience history from your uncle or the dealer/service station that he had it serviced?
  • Options
    meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Hi Frogham,
    Re: your checklist:

I've got a 2006 convertible. I'm not planning on selling it until Toyota comes up w/ a hybrid version.

1) What I've learned on this and other channels is that a fast way to start a convertible leaking is to take it to a car wash. The water pressure is just too much I guess. IMHO a garden hose would be more reasonable.

2) It's there but it's minor -- not a big deal unless you've got a lot of bad roads in your area.

3) This is a function of the transmission as readers of this forum know. The workaround is to use the manual function. That eliminates the hesitation.

4) Thank goodness, we've never experienced that problem. That tells me not all Solara's will have that problem.

Questions for Edmunds:
    Has anyone ever done any science on that problem? Were those cars all built in the same plant perhaps? Did they all have some other characteristic in common that could isolate the cause such as glue lots, upholstery or carpet lots that could have gotten wet and developed mold? Toyota ever come back w/ an explanation?

Meegwell
  • Options
    cpannellcpannell Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a convertible Solara last April. Since that time I have had to replace my top twice due to the defroster not working in the rear window. Both replacements were before I had 12,000 miles on my car and within 6 months of each other. So now with my third top I questioned the warranty on my replacements since my purchase came with 36,000 miles bumper to bumper. I was told that Toyota only guarantees this part for 12,000 miles or 12 months. So if at 36,000 miles this problem occurs again, the problem and costs are all mine.
    If anyone else has had this problem please speak up. My problem could be due to water creeping in and shorting out the wiring. At this point I just don't know. But I am highly frustrated.
  • Options
    Actually, I am pretty sure my Uncle is pretty straight up with me. I know he's not lying because he has everything to lose and nothing to gain. I am just wondering about any future problems that might come up.

It's currently at 31 K, which would be below the 36 K he's capped at. I can easily get his maintenance records. He's gets his oil changed every 3K.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I just read about a defroster in a following message. Let's hope every thing checks because I want this convertible and am too cheap to buy a new one!

frogham
  • Options
    rrobinson2rrobinson2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am having the same problem. Did you ever get this resolved? My dealership can not find the problem!!! Please help.
  • Options
    I was very surprised to find that my 2008 Solara convertible did not automatically come with roadside assistance (Unless I bought the expensive maintenance package). Do all Toyota's not come with roadside assistance? I know my old Lexus did. My wife's Impala does. It even had Onstar for a year! My old Ford 500 did and every car I have owned in recent years has. To be fair I don't remember ever having to use roadside assistance but it was convenient knowing that if I ventured away from home I would have help if I needed it.
  • Options
    dpeisicdpeisic Member Posts: 1
    We own 2004 Solora Convertible

The steering wheel is loose when turning left or right.
    Does any one experience the same problem? Is so what was replaced?

Thank you for your time
  • Options
    hlangillehlangille Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem! My 2004 Solara V6 SLE is doing it all the time, the jolt when the power comes back is so strong it moves me in my seat. I have had the car for 4 months and it has been into the dealership three times already for this, most recently yesterday. They tell me it's an issue and that unless Toyota comes up with a fix that can be updated on the computer there is nothing they can do.

I am really worried about how this is going to impact the car's performance in the winter. I will have to drive in snow and ice and know this is going to cause big problems in messy weather. If Toyota has made a fix for this issue in other cars why not this one? I bought a performance vehicle that does not perform. It is a great car other than this, but this is a huge issue. What can we do to make Toyota fix this?
  • Options
    robmelorobmelo Member Posts: 1
    What kind of value deal did Toyota bought back your car? I have a 2008 Solara XLE convertible, bought brand new. After one year old I started experiencing a noise from the back every time I drove over a speed bump. After taking the car to the dealer for a test driving with a technician, I was told that they would have to replace the bushes (struts)... When I went to get my car after they were supposed to have fixed it, I was told by the service manager that warranty did NOT authorize the replacement because the part was not broken and instead of replacing the parts, they only lubbed and did not charge me for my oil change to make me feel better... The manager also told me that he went for a drive in 2 other Solaras and they all did the same noise and was kinda normal with these cars for a lack of extra weight for not having the heavier top. I now am dealing with a "Factoty Representative" who is from outta town and I feel they are ALL trying to BS me. Has anyone experienced this issue? Please feel free to contact me at robmello@msn.com. My car now is only 12,000 and I am looking into having Toyota buying the car back from me. Any feed back is welcome. Tks a lot!!
  • Options
    Just took out my SLE convertible after not using it in awhile and went on a 150mile journey some side roads some highway and the trip out had the mileage average 40+ and back at 37+(pretty windy too). That's hybrid territory from the 3.3l engine!!! I got better gas mileage than in the summer. Cold crisp but dry conditions in upstate NY. (Maybe it would have been even better if I had put the top up!!!) LOL
    I am amazed.
  • Options
    rednebredneb Member Posts: 5
    I also own a 2004 early model convertible. There is a service bulletin out on this. Take it to the dealer, they will replace steering components. I had this done while it was still under warranty, but I suspect if you argue with the dealer, they will still do it for you no charge even if you are out of warranty.
  • Options
    Did you actually check mileage with a gas station refill or are you trusting the dash mounted MPG read in the mulit-function computer. I find that to be off by 2-4 MPG on my '04 (the mileage is overstated.)
  • Options
    Also 17" wheels and wider tires + upgraded stereo. Tilt and telescope steering wheel and multi-funcction trip computer.
  • Options
    crazy3crazy3 Member Posts: 8
    I have the same and have reported it to toyota manf. But the tech says there is nothing wrong with it when they put it on the machine. When they drive my car they drive it slow and then it won't happen. Toyota says they have never had any complaints on the solora v6 2 door coupe it is not a convertible. I am going to see if I can trade it in I only have 11,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    deluvlydredeluvlydre Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 convertible toyota solara and it is the best car ever. The convertible top is great and still in excellent condition. No leaks or tears after 3 years. I drive 250 miles a day for work and I have 100,000 miles and car stills runs as good as the first day. I take good care of my car and my car takes good care of me. If I were to purchase another vehicle, it would most definitely be another new Convertible Toyota Solara. This is the perfect car for me. :blush:
  • Options
    hazelihazeli Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a '06 Solara conv last Saturday and I love this car. Got for good price and opted for the Platinum Extra Care plan. Only one thing worries me about the conv. There seem to be a curring problem with corrosion of one of the battery cables. They cleaned it up but still concerned. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I heard the top should not be wasked at a high pressure delivery system car wash. Damages the sewing and can cause leaks. What do you all think? :D
  • Options
    dwinklerdwinkler Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone is experiencing issues with Solara cruise control. Mine is not maintaining desired speed going downhill
  • Options
    lobo9lobo9 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if there was a Toyota service bulletin regarding steering components on the 2004 Toyota Camry Solara SLE? We just bought one and are experiencing a "looseness" in the steering. Anyone else have problems or have had problems with it?