Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Convertible - 2004 and Newer

icangelat03icangelat03 Member Posts: 45
Wondering if anyone out there has information/pictures on the new model Toyota Solara convertible?

Comments

• toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Curious if anyone knows when the new Solara convertible will be available in dealerships?
    Is Toyota talking about it's features/options, or is it the usual "veiled secret"?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    likes to take the "keep everything secret until brochures come out" route for new cars. Don't expect anything until brochure time.
    are there any clues about a base price, colors, or what?
  • ncapponcappo Member Posts: 1
    The convertible colors are black and tan.I've seen it. It looks like it was designed to be a convertible.It will be in production this spring.I would expect it on the lot by march or april.Toyota never lets out any pictures until the last minute.
    the only color choices are black and tan? I always liked midnight blue convertibles.
  • icangelat03icangelat03 Member Posts: 45
    I'm hoping for the cosmic blue. I also heard rumors about it being available at the Chicag Auto Show, anyone know anymore?
    with just two colors, you're going to lose customers to the Sebring Convertible.
    I think we may have misuderstood (at least I'm hoping) ncappo about the convertible colors. I'm thinking that tan and black are the two colors for the convertible tops. I'm hoping that the convertible will be available in the same colors as the coupe. Also I have heard from a dealer that one of the trim levels may be removed from the convertible model. Anyone heard anything about this?
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    my Aunt is may move out here within a year or so, and she really wants a convertible. She likes the Thunderbird, but it was way out of her price range. Maybe I can talk her into a Camry Solara convertible.
    I think that the SE Sport might be dropped from the convertible line.
    Toyota just announced that the convertible will premier at the Chicago Auto Show and will be arriving at dealerships in mid-March. At that time, orders can be placed by paying a down payment that will get you the car you want.
  • dominicdominic Member Posts: 8
    ...told us this week that they thought the Solara covertible was pushed back and would be coming later in the year as an '05 model.

Sounds like they were wrong.
    will be here in time for the summer!
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    According to the model release/press conference this morning, the car will be in dealer showrooms by the end of March, carry a sticker at or slightly lower than the outgoing model and be completely assembled in Georgetown as opposed to the old Toyota/ASC arrangement.
    Also, it will be offered in the SE or SLE trim levels with a 225hp V6 engine mated to a 5-speed automatic.
    The top is "one button" automatic with a full glass rear window.
    There should be press photos on the web by tomorrow the latest.
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    Check out Toyota's website.
    saw the launch, the convertible looks really nice.
  • sirlandsirland Member Posts: 16
    Does any see this convertible as out saling the Sebring Convertible down the road? It will be good to see if the Solara Convertible can beat the next redsign Sebring Convertible, but for now, I can see the Solara Convertible beating the Sebring.
    with better build quality, better resale, better interior.... The only place you'll see Sebring Convertibles will be in the Avis Rent A Car lot.
    Went to the chicago show today and saw the convertible for the first time today. Its a great car, obviously meant to be made as a convertible. I also have pictures that I took, if someone could tell me how to post them.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    What you need to do is upload your images to a hosting website. Some members pointed me toward imagestation.com, and it's worked out great for me.

After you load your images, select the one you want to display here. Put your mouse over it and right click, then select "Properties." In the properties window, you'll see the address starting with "http." Select it, and copy the address.

Then, when you're in Town Hall, type [img src=yourURL]. Instead of the [], use <>, and where I have "yourURL," paste the link you copied. That should do it! Sorry if my instructions were too elementary, but better to include too much info than too little :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    "with better build quality, better resale, better interior.... The only place you'll see Sebring Convertibles will be in the Avis Rent A Car lot"

Amen to that!
  • helper_monkeyhelper_monkey Member Posts: 1
    when Toyota is goign to update their website so that you can build and price the convertible???
    expect it to be updated at the end of the month- Toyota is a bit slow at updating their website.
  • kenitzerkenitzer Member Posts: 19
    According to the business section of this mornings paper, Toyota announced anticipated pricing for the Solara Convertible. Supposedly pricing will start at $25,950 for the SE, for an approximate 7.5% reduction from the 2003 price levels. By my math, the convertible is about $4000 over the coupe. Anyone else have additional or different information?
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    "with better build quality, better resale, better interior.... The only place you'll see Sebring Convertibles will be in the Avis Rent A Car lot"

"Amen to that!"

...assuming, of course, that the public decides to abandon style in favor of a droopy-looking SC430 knock-off. But then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
  • lesbaer45lesbaer45 Member Posts: 9
    Further info on pricing for Solara convertible.

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., announced manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) today for the all-new 2004 Camry Solara Convertible, the 2004 MR2 Spyder mid-engine sports car and the 2004 Celica sport coupe equipped with the Action Package. The MR2 Spyder and Celica with Action Package go on sale at the end of February while the Solara Convertible will arrive at dealerships at the end of March. The improved value of the 2004 Solara Convertible is reflected in its pricing. The 2004 SE starts at $25,950, which is $2095, or 7.5 percent, less than the 2003 model. The SLE with all of its standard equipment is positioned $1075, or 3.5 percent, less than the 2003 model with a base MSRP of $29,450.
    Just wondering where you got this information from...a website? toyota dealer?
    According to an article in the paper a few days ago, Solara Convertibles are coming of the production line in Georgetown, KY. The article focused on the fact that the Georgetown facility has excess capacity and is possibly a site for production of the Highlander which is now manufactured in Japan but primarily sold here in the US. As part to the article they mentioned the Solara Convertibles were coming off the line.

Still no updated Toyota web site, anyone know when that might happen.
    The cars are in production. I have the first one my local dealer is getting reserved. It should be in by the last week of March. That is the good news. It is black with a stone interior. That is the bad news. Wife would prefer tan interior. Might be waiting for a tan interior.
    Tyresmoker: Are you just first on a list, or do you actually have a contract with pricing etc. from the dealer?
  • hapunahapuna Member Posts: 16
    Similar to Tyresmoker, I have already ordered my convertible. I have ordered an Absolutely Red SLE with tan interior/top and the NAV system. Mine will be out of production March 22 - should arrive at the dealer in the beginning of April. I have a good relationship with the dealer, he had to do quite a bit of work to get the exact car. According to him, 1 out of every 20 will have the NAV system. In addition, most of the models arriving in the dealerships soon will have the stone/black combo. If you are interested in the light interior, place your orders now. With respect to pricing, I have put money down and did not care so much about the price - this order was placed mid-February.
    I have a very similar arrangement w/a good relationship with a local dealer. It is a navigation SLE Black and stone. My gut is telling me once this car is seen on the street, you will not be able to get one.
    as do tyresmoker and hapuna, I have a prearranged agreement with my local dealer. I was given a general price and put a down payment on the car the second week in february, immediately after I saw the car at the auto show. as hapuna says, most of the cars are being made to prearranged specs, so if you want something specific, get in good with a dealer. I have ordered a SLE cosmic blue with dark stone interior, no Nav. The dealer actually called me the other day and said that he had one switched from black to cosmic blue. No exact date for arrival, but I'm hoping by the end of this month (I'm at the front of the list)
    Great to hear there are others out there ordering the vehicle. I think it will be a hot item. Couple of questions:

1. I am switching from a Benz SLK230 to the Solara and I am not used to the soft top. In the pictures of the Solara, you see that cover over the top when the top is down. Is that something you put on manually? Anyone know?

2. Has anyone seen brochures specifically on the convertible? It is still hard to find specifics on the car (i.e. the Toyota site, auto mags).

I am really looking forward to getting this car. I know there are mixed reviews on the design, but after seeing it at the Chicago Auto Show, I am convinced that this is a well-designed car. Much improved over prior years - I would not have even considered it before.
    If you search around the Solara boards there is a link to 32 press photos with the car in various "poses"...I actually based my purchase of the car on these photos as the ones on the Toyota.com site are really poor..I am glad to hear you say that the car looks really good in person.
    Back to the photos.. a few show the car with the top folded in the boot w/o a soft toneau..my assumption..it is a soft boot cover that will store nicely in the garage. My dealer (talked to him yesterday) says there is still no info, he has my production date and anticipated arrival. Will have the vin by next week.
    I am rolling the dice on this: as the "actual" cars show up on the allocation sheets, I am hoping I can get a better idea as to the color availability..we will see what happens...Still not quite ragtop weather here in New England..so if we have to wait a few weeks, we will..
  • sazaman1sazaman1 Member Posts: 22
    are you reserving the first-in models at MSRP?
    My 17 yr. old son can take his test for his drivers license in August. He will inherit my Honda CRV and I will be looking for a new vehicle. I had been planning on getting a 01 or 02 Saab 9-3 Convertible until I saw the Solara. I am now leaning strongly towards the Solara. I drive 25,000 miles a year and need something that will go 150,000-200,000 miles and will be very reliable and dependable, hence my interest in the Toyota. I really like the look of the Solara, I only wish they made the SLE with a 5 or 6 spd manual, as opposed to the automatic. I am hoping by August or September that the newness will have worn off some and that dealers will have several to choose from on their lots. Also by early fall, people aren't quite excited about convertibles. Around here, the dealers have between 12 and 20 of the Solara coupes on their lot, and are offering incentives. Also, by waiting I might be able to get a deal an 04 or pick up one of the first 05 models.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    Please try this one: http://www.conceptcarz.com/folder/vehicle.asp?car_id=7849&pri- ntAllPictures=&whichPage=&pagesize=&autoshowID=&v- ehicleTypeID=0

I can't tell how the soft top being covered. Like a cover will be raised and drop back when the top is up and down.
  • lesbaer45lesbaer45 Member Posts: 9
    Sounds like the hype is building. I guess I'll have to put off any purchase of the Solara Convertible till much later.

I refuse to pay MSRP+ or accept some other color/interior combo that I don't want. I understand the "buzz" and it's going to be popular car, deservedly so. Still it sounds like one of those cases where it may be a good idea to take a deep breath and relax.

It's been 18 years since I bought my last new car. I think I can wait another year for the burn off. :-)
    I was crunching some numbers last night using the production numbers from this weeks Automotive News. Currently, the Solara is running at a 42k annual production rate. Toyota is forcasting upto 25% of production dedicated to the ragtop. That is about 10k units per year. For comparison, the 2004 Thunderbird is running at a 10.8k annual rate.
    What's my point? It will be a very long while- prehaps never, that these cars will be stacked up and heavily discounted...Or even discounted at all.
    In the Northeast, the last generation ragtop was very rare, and usually sold at sticker or above for its entire production run. Also, the first generation recieved warm reviews at best, being a true "hack job", with ASC doing the conversion. They certainly do the best they can do, but the first generation was not designed to have its roof sawed off, so there only so much one can do to an external structure.
    Take a look on Autotrader, do a nationwide search for a first generation convertible, first, note the lack of NATIONWIDE inventory, also note the asking prices. Simple supply and demand economics.
    When the time comes to buy, I am not expecting a big discount, but a few hundred or more would be reasonable. We will just have to see. I was under the impression that production of the convertible was going to be higher than the previous convertible, simply because it will be easier to produce with the new production methods at the Georgetown assembly plant.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Landed here out of curiosity, and I must say - this latest frumpy, chubby, overweight Thunderbird knock-off is even uglier than the source!

(I won't be back - just mentioning how much I dislike this design. And yes, its all very subjective and individual - just expressing an opinion.)
    I am not really sure what value msg #43 has - this is obviously a forum for people who are interested in the car or learning more about it. As noted, design is a very subjective trait and I think, having seen the car at the Chicago Auto Show, the design is much improved over prior years and will attract attention in the marketplace.

Has anyone heard when these cars will start rolling into dealerships? I know my actual order will not arrive until April, but I would like to see one even before that. Any other updates?
    agree with your point about the posting, I think the term "troll" is used for posters like that...Anyway, I spoke with my dealer yesterday, he says ours will definitely be in before the end of the month. He is a bit frustrated..still no pricing (offical) there is pricing on kbb, but it is incomplete.
    Anyway, we looked at dk stone at a local dealer (in a coupe) and it looks pretty good with black so we are going to take it. Dealer had a good point, chances are a black car with a tan interior will usually come with a tan roof (yuk)..especially early in the production run. As soon as I know more, I will post it.
    Is the info up already? Wonder when Toyota will update the Solara minisite.
  • jeffceejeffcee Member Posts: 12
    Dealer called today and said my Solara sle convertible is in transit and should arrive Wed or Thurs. I plan to pick it up on Saturday. I got the red with slate interior, stability control and no navagation.
    what part of the country are you from? How long ago did your dealer get the vin #?
    Toyota is really being quiet with this intro...
  • jeffceejeffcee Member Posts: 12
    I live in the Chicago area but bought in SE Wisconsin which is less than an hour away from me. Not really sure how long they had the VIN as my first contact with the dealership was on Monday. I went through the internet sales department. The whole proccess took less than 20 minutes and so far I think it will be a very smooth transaction. I have purchased two other cars from different dealers this way with no problems.
    I am in Chicago as well - still not expecting my order until early April. Gives me time to try and sell my SLK230. I think Toyota's approach is too subtle - they should update the website and make brochures readily available. The current strategy is too stealth-like.

I ordered mine from my local dealership and have not heard anything recently from the salespeople.
    totally agree, my contact at the dealership (actually the owner) called this one almost to the tee. Figured he would have pricing/vin info just as the car was arriving out front...Still cold here, can wait a few more weeks...trying to off an '00 Passat V6 5-speed...