Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Instrument Panel Problems

2»

Comments

• thirsty_watersthirsty_waters Member Posts: 2
    OH YEA, THAT WOULD PROBABLY HELP: 1999 CHRYSLER SEBRING CONVERTIBLE. AND WHILE ALL THE FUSES WERE INTACT UNDER THE HOOD; AFTER I FOUND YET ANOTHER FUSE BOX LOCATED ON THE DRIVERS SIDE AT THE END OF THE DASH (THE DRIVER'S DOOR MUST BE OPEN TO EVEN ACCESS THIS SPOT TO GET THE PLASTIC COVER OFF) I FOUND THE BLOWN FUSE, REPLACED IT AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS FOR A WEEK NOW. I RECOMMED GETTING THE MANUFACTURER'S BOOK IN ORDER TO LOCATE WIRING PROBLEMS BECAUSE I SEE THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER FUSE BLOCK ASSEMBLIES IN AND AROUND THIS CAR, AND WITHOUT THAT BOOK I WOULD NEVER EVER NEVER HAVE FOUND THIS ONE.
  • pgriffin1pgriffin1 Member Posts: 5
    My dash clock light appears to have burned out on my 2002 Ody Van. I've searched the past postings & am unable to locate instructions on replacing it. Any experts out there? Phil Griffin...
  • dave420dave420 Member Posts: 1
    Jerry,

I have exactly the same problem ! FYI there is a fuse block on the driver's side end of the dash. You need the drivers door open to find it, however there was no indication of dash or instrument fuses. In the under the hood fuse box I took the known to work black square labeled horn fuse out and placed it in the labeled lighting fuse socket. Still nothing. The with the lighting fuse out I had no headlights ! Try turning the dash/interior dimmer switch which is to the left of the steering column on the lower dash panel. Does your dome lights go out ? Mine don't. Also my truck is an automatic and the floor gear selector indicator light is also out. Any information you could give me would be helpful. I have an appointment with my mechanic, in the mean time I'll be looking for a repair manual !
  • mritzemritze Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my 1999 gmc pickups instrument panel. abs, brake light stay on. Battery & security light blink on and then gauges jump
  • chisbrichisbri Member Posts: 1
    The speedometer on my truck makes a really lout whirring noise when it is very cold outside and I get up over about 40 mph. I figure I either need to replace or lub it. The problem is I can't seem to get to it. I have been able to remove the outside bezel and the plastic cover (by accidentally breaking a couple of the plastic clips), but I can not get the actual instrument panel out. I removed the two screws that are holding it in, but something else has a grip of it and I can't figure it out. Does anybody know what else I need to do to get it out? I don't think the cable is the issue here because it has no give yet. It feels like maybe something below it is holding on. Thanks.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    What you're describing is usually caused by a dry speedo cable. Disconnect the outer cable from the back of the speedo head, pull the inner cable out,and lube it.
  • reddodgereddodge Member Posts: 3
    2001 dodge instrument cluster panel - all lights on panel and all speedometer gauges quit with no warning. headlights radio power locks, windows etc. are fine. whatever this is only affected the instrument panel.
  • rc5501rc5501 Member Posts: 1
    For those of you who are familiar with Chevy, the odometer and Gear displays are a digital screen at the bottom of the instrument cluster. I am encoutering a short in the wiring that plugs into the insturment cluster. Does anyone know of or can tell me what specific wire controls that digial readout. Thanks.
  • cordellcordell Member Posts: 1
    I have no manual for my sisters car, so please bear with me. The problem is of 2 majors, 1. There is a light on the ins. panel it looks like a box with an arrow pointing down towards water what the heck is this suppose to mean? 2. She was told to get a synthetic oil change done to her car and she did. In doing so they told her she would be good for 10,000km's. The problem is after 4200 km she was down 2 quarts . Now I found no trace of oil on the ground, it was not burning oil, there was none in the antifreeze or under the hood . Where the heck is it going?
    please help
  • bubbajoebubbajoe Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Chevy Tahoe 350 4WD. Today the speedometer quit tracking properly. It will follow the speed during acceleration but lags during decceleration the tachometer also is sluggish ticking sometimes.
  • baxter1baxter1 Member Posts: 1
    94 Honda Civic - faulty speedometerWe recently purchased a 94 Honda Civic for our son to drive. While cruising down the road the speedometer will
    drop back to zero. We have replaced the speed sensor but this has made no difference. Any suggestions?
  • kerriskerris Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ford Ranger and over the past 6 months or so, I have been gradually losing the lights behind my instrument panel (all the instruments are analog). Are these bulbs something I can replace myself? I looked in the book and there don't seem to be any instructions about that, but if it's something I can do in an afternoon with some simple tools, I'd like to do that rather than take it in to the shop. Any input you have would be greatly appreicated.

Kerri
  • lo6308lo6308 Member Posts: 1
    The instrument panel bulbs in my 1989 GMC van are going out. Of course the owners manual has no instructions on replacing them. Is this a high priced dealer job, or is there some way I can do it. Also, anyone know how many bulbs are on the instrument panel I'm dealing with?
  • 02tahoe202tahoe2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm curious as to what you found. My 02 Tahoe started doing similar things. Low Battery message comes on, fuel gauge goes to "E", engine temp gauge jumps and goes "low", security light on, abs, air bag light also stay on. Then after driving for awhile, lights go away, however security light stays on. This condition sometimes comes back on and off while driving.
  • scigalscigal Member Posts: 1
    I too have the same problem and have at least 2 friends who have also had this happen to their dodges. 2 have been late 90's intrepids and one a 2001 caravan. Both took theirs to be repaired and can't remember what the diagnosed problem was. I am looking to do this repair ourselves. I think it is a common problem and easy to fix. I just don't know what to replace.
  • 94j94j Member Posts: 5
    My dash board light just went out on my '94 Infiniti J30. I checked the manual, but there's no reference for replacing a fuse or bulb for this light. Went to the dealer & was told they'll need to do the repair. Cost estimate: $350!!! C'mon... isn't this something I can do myself, or have done more reasonably???
  • autobahnladyautobahnlady Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan. About one month ago my instrument cluster started acting strange but only when the car was hot. In the cool mornings everything was okay. The early symptoms were the needles twitching slightly. It worsened until all the needles moved back and forth rapidly. Finally the RPM needle dropped off. Shortly after the display lights would come on and off. I finally took it into the dealer yesterday and was told the instrument cluster was bad. They gave me a quote of $625 to replace. I decided I would do it myself. I went out this morning and bought a repair manual for $20.00. I stared looking for a replacement cluster. I have found a couple for between $75-100. A word of caution if you plan to do this yourself. Disconnect the negative battery cable or you may cause the airbag to deploy while working. I really think this is a defect in the part. Too many people are experiencing the same thing.
  • ll727ll727 Member Posts: 1
    trying to replace a instrument panel , the repair manual tells me to swapped the nvm chip from old panel to new panel but does not show location of chip ! can anyone help with this thanks
  • impact_driverimpact_driver Member Posts: 8
    Have a 2001 saturn w/v6 the problem is that everynow and then the service engine light and maintance light (the little wrench light) will come on and all of the gauges will drop to nothing IE tach speedo temp ect these are analog gauges not digital vechicle will stay running with no apparant problems radio A/C headlights all still work but if you pull over shut of ignition then re start everything is back to normal till the next time then same scenario this vechile does have a factory alarm system also this problem only happens when my wife or daughter drive car it has never happened to me when i drive it which is only occasionally any info would be greatly apprecaited THANKS
    as I put in my post yesterday still have not figured out problem but yesterday some more things happened lost park interlock power door locks all dome lights and A/C also went out have scanned but says no codes have also checked all fuses relays ect and all grounds every thing seems to check out ok also pulled out dash but no issues there either am wondering if the ecm is taking a dump but its still running fine and will drive down the road just fine am very puzzeled with this PLEASE HELP or stop by for the bonfire we'll be roasting a 2001 saturn HAHAHAHA.
    the light that you are refering to is a low coolant light the sensor is usally in the plastic part of radiator about 1/4 way down check to make sure shes not low on antifreeze in the resivoir as for the oil u did not mention how many miles are on car or if you checked oil right after it was shut off its possible the oil returns in the heads are plugged and its holding oil up there running back to oil pan very slowly if you encounter this again wait about an hour and recheck ypu may get a different reading then hope this helps
  • eviltomeviltom Member Posts: 1
    There is a dimmer to the left of the stearing wheel (It is a ribbed roller built into the dash) Try tapping it to see if the lights come back.
  • vettekeepervettekeeper Member Posts: 1
    I have just aquired a 1992 GMC Safari Xt. When I turn on the interior light override switch to have the lights come on when I open the door, the interior lights stay on all the time. Is this correct or is there something else to it. I am single and really don't like getting into a dark van. Thanks in advance
  • autojunkeautojunke Member Posts: 9
    ok, the override switch I ASSume your refering to allows you to turn the lights OFF when the doors are opened. Also, with the dimmer switch you can turn the lights ON by moving to the full on position. Perhaps you just need to adjust you dimmer one notch down.
  • timbuktutimbuktu Member Posts: 1
    Got into my 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 this morning and noticed there was a crack just below the speedometer approx 1 inch long. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Only has 35,000 miles. Anyone know how big a job this will be to fix?

Darwin
  • ladybuggalladybuggal Member Posts: 1
    Long story... make it short! Kids left console light on to my 1999 Honda Civic Coupe all night... battery died... had to move out of garage to jump it. You can't change the gear apparently without power. My husband slammed it into Neutral and NOW, it moves from all gears without having to hit the button. Since this is going on, the car keeps draining the battery because it doesn't know it's in Park! I have it taken apart already but I can't find how to get the gear shift back on track to fix this. I need this car to be drivable again. Can anyone help?! :cry:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah he busted a little detent in there...the button should activate some kind of rod or lever that catches a notch. This could be tricky. We'd need to see a diagram of the lever mechanism.
  • ladeedriverladeedriver Member Posts: 1
    I had problems with my car starting this morning unfortuanately and did not make it to work. It was not the security passlock issue but I did neet a new fuel pump and now it cranks right up. But the new issue is the panel lights wont go off, (brake, trac off, service engine soon lights). Does anyone know how to reset this panel or will i have to take it to the dealer and have them turn them off. They were not an issue before my cousin changed "only" the fuel pump with is located in the rear of the car. thanks for any help. Tried the reset button for resetting when oil light and tire pressure light come on, but that did not work.
  • emgomezemgomez Member Posts: 4
    Hello, did the issues get solved on your accord? I currently have the same problem and I am not sure if it is the third brake light and or the after market jdm tail lights. Please contact me if you solved your problem. Thanks, Edward [email protected]
  • baklassenbaklassen Member Posts: 1
    Currently own a 2005 grand prix with an odometer problem - it started back at zero and is now stuck at 26 kms.

Has anyone had any sucess at fixing the cluster?

Any pointers?
  • ter123ter123 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Cabrio - and the Airbag and brake light remain on - I have checked the brake fluid and the brake pads, but this light remains on when car is running. What could it be. Anyone out there can give me some suggestions.

thanks in advance
  • yeti_herdyeti_herd Member Posts: 1
    I've got an '89 Volvo in which, about two weeks ago the speedometer started flickering around wildly and then up and quit within a few hours. The odometer and trip odometer also went out simultaneously. I have removed the instrument cluster from the dash to check the connections and they all seemed fine with no corrosion. Put the dash back in, still nothing (didn't really expect much).

Other weird symptom/evidence: when it is raining out or the road surface is otherwise very wet, the speedometer and odometer will come on and work perfectly, until it dries out again. This suggests to me that there is an exposed connection somewhere that water will improve electrical connectivity on enough to make it work briefly. I don't really know anything about how the car is wired, though, and I have some wiring charts that I got from an online database but they are confusing and difficult to read.

Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The speedo sensor is on the back axle. Since you didn't post a model, I'll give you the various possibilities:

-------------------------------------------------------
    Speedometer sensor, replacement
    Rigid back axle.

* Cut and remove seal of lead.
    * Unplug connector.
    * Unscrew sensor.
    * Remove casing over fuel filler pipe on 4-door models, or the cover on the left hand side behind the wheel arch on 5-door models.
    * Break open the leaded box and unplug connector.
    * Remove the sensor lead, rubber sleeve, and clamps.
    * Clean the area around the sensor and unscrew it.
    * Replace sensor.
    * Fit new sensor.

* Thread leaded wire through connector lid
    * Fit connector to sensor.

* Pass the leaded wire through the lock on the connector and catch on the sensor.
    * Thread on a new lead weight and press together with pliers.
    * Fit the new leaded box and attach lid firmly.
    * Test.

Speedometer sensor, replacement T2
    760/780 1988-, Multi-link back axle

The sensors are placed differently for varying versions of differential.

* Remove casing over fuel filler pipe or the cover on the left hand side behind the wheel arch.
    * Break open the leaded box and unplug connector. Remove lead to sensor, rubber sleeve, and clamps.
    * Clean the area around sensor and unscrew it.

* Reassemble in reverse order. Oil new 0-ring before fitting.

When fitting sensor, tighten to torque: 8 - 12 Nm (5.9 - 8.9 ft lb) .

* Fit new leaded box and put on lid firmly
    * Test.
  • ohgeezohgeez Member Posts: 12
    Dash lights go out, perhaps drive on rough road and come on again (about 4 times), dashboard lights work for few weeks and go out again. This time dash lights after about a week will not turn on. It's only the instrument cluster lights, radio and idiot lights work. On the Taurus/Sable thread read about 6 members that have the same exact problem. I would think there would a Technical Bulletin or recall on this for a 4-5 year old car. If this is one of those $5 part and $1,000 fix it issue, I'm dumping ford for ever. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :mad:
  • carswipecarswipe Member Posts: 6
    Maybe it's the fuse that causes the problem or the electrical wiring. I think it would help if you can see the diagram of the electrical wiring in your car
  • jeanphilippejeanphilippe Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a saturn vue 2004, the background of the dasboard is lit but not the indicators needle what the he... could that be ???
  • kylemcclungkylemcclung Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and my gear indicator light doesn't work. Is there anything that could fix this other than an new instrument cluster? Thanks for the help guys.
  • vicgoovicgoo Member Posts: 11
    Hi,i have an electrical problem with the dash on my 91 Riviera.When it,s first started after sitting,the cluster does not light up except for the speedo reading 00 and odometer reading ERROR and the electrical problem light on,after running for a half hour,the dash comes on and the warning light goes out,everything on dash reads fine,gages accurate,also i noticed the miles on trip and regular odometer counts up when dash is out,so it seams like everything works except it doesn,t light up at times,any ideas ?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Bad ground connection?
  • mgberry182mgberry182 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 92 riviera with the same instrument panel issue. 00 for speedometer and error for odometer. mine also comes on and off randomly. have you found our a solution for this issue?
  • piinc21piinc21 Member Posts: 1
    I just seen your post about you 02 Tahoe dash lights. Mine does the same thing do you ever find out what was wrong with it? Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you
    Chris
    [email protected]
  • kyle778kyle778 Member Posts: 1
    Instrument cluster (speedometer, Tachometer, Break & ABS light) is not working while driving.
    My video for my 2009 camry is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwMBLAEx29w

Toyota service center asked $6000 to replace wire harness and PROBABLY electronic control unit.

I found some posts, but the answers are not that clear to fix it.

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t15246806-2007_toyota_camry_abs_light_brake_light

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/6ru2n-exact-sme-problem-one-previously-posted.h- tml

Any comments would be appreciated!