Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Dodge 5.7 Hemi

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Had to create a new version of this to workaround some server issues...

Comments

• dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Never thought I would buy a Dodge But this 345 HP Hemi Hooked me Bye Bye GM LOL
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    NO DAVE!!! Come back from the darkside. There is still time. 345HP SS is coming out soon :)
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Is this the same Dave40 that participated in all those littletruck discussions? Perhaps I'm having a Senior Moment... ;-)

So, hope Dodge gets the rest of the truck to be as good as the new engine sounds to be!
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Is this the same Dave40 that was the captain of the GM truck crusade?
    Was this an emotional decision?
    Enamored with the Mayor or "ticked" at GM non-support?
    Did you do a logical analysis approach?
    What were the analysis points/results that prompted the conversion to the "other side"?

Hey, my '98 K1500 wont last forever and I want to know what my next truck will be... Maybe, um, ah, a Dodge.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Saw a new Ram truck with those 20" rims filling across from me at the gas station. Truck sat tall for a 2wd. Truck looked brand new except it didnt have paper tags, but the under carriage was spotless. At least the rims and tire combo looks better than the older rams with the factory lift and mini tires leaving a gaping wheelwell.

How timeless is that Ram look?
    did you get a look at the tailpipe?

I bet it was rusted out :)
    Didn't notice the tailpipe. What I did notice was that the truck was idling while the guy was filling up....sorta like a diesel.....which made me a little nervous...

Interesting article....

http://www.carseverything.com/content/article/1460/

I'm wondering what this statement means...

A systematic approach to sealing, using premium elastomeric materials and state-of-the-art practices, helps ensure a leak-free, weep-free engine.

I'll be looking for a replacement for the Denali in a couple of months....man that was a fast three years. Thought of the Escalade EXT, Ave, even the crewcab Ram....though this one has caught my attention...a hog ...lol.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2002/ford/harley/roadtest/page1.html

Labor day weekend there was a reg cab long bed 2500 ram hemi in a parade pulling a trailer. It also sounded like a diesel even though it wasnt. I couldnt believe it. If you think you have cold start knock you should have heard this thing.
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    I have read somewhere that the new 5.7 isn't a true hemi as defined in the 1960's class hemi engines. The heads and pistons are not a "true" hemispherical design. Is the talk of the hemi all "marketing"?

Two plugs per cylinder, is this a "coil on plug" design?
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    If you believe that the "hemi" of the 1960s were a "true hemi," then you are mistaken. There never was a true hemispherical designed cylinder head shape used by American automotive engine designers. The term "hemi" was never intended to be specific nomenclature, but a more generalized way of describing a combustion chamber shape that departed from other types.

The early Chrysler hemis ('51-'59) had a cylinder head configuration more elliptical in shape than the more famous 426 hemi ('64-'71). The 426 head was more trapezoidal and incorporated a flat roof section nearly identical to the new 5.7 engine that Dodge is now introducing.

Some confusion may exist because it is often repeated that the recent 4.7 Dodge engine is also a hemi. This is incorrect. That engine is a true polyspherical combustion chamber, it too being a throw-back to earlier Chrysler designs (277, 301, 318A engines: '56-'67).

Someone commented about a "5.7 hemi" pulling a trailer in a parade. It is extremely unlikely that this was a 5.7 hemi, but much more likely the new Cummins quiet diesel. I have been informed that RAMs with the 5.7 engine were not on the assembly line until 27 August at Santillo, Mexico. I asked someone to check for me and there are still no 5.7 equipped Dodge RAMs in this sales region.

Dusty
    Well, yes & no. It has eight spark plug wires. Chrysler mounts a coil on one plug and runs a spark plug wire from that same coil to one other plug.

Dusty
    It had a hemi badge on the drivers and pass side by the front wheel on the fender. It also had dealer plates
    also i seen a pic somewhere online of a dealers lot full of them
    I test drove the 5.7 hemi a few days ago here in PA. It blew my 6.0 away....
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I live in a small city and our local Dodge dealer has had a 5.7 hemi on his lot 2 weeks ago. I was over there and checked it out, but did not test drive at this time. I can't afford so why allow myself to be tempted. I believe that he was not selling this unit, just using it for yest drives and taking orders.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I was at my dealer today. They have 2 Bright Silver 2500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4s, both Hemi/automatics. Not giving up on my Cummins, but they looked sharp.

kcram

Host

Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards

My RAM 2500 REGULAR CAB LARAMIE 4X2 LWB
    5.7 345HP Hemi

RAM 2500 REGULAR CAB LARAMIE 4X2 LWB
    Base Price: 24,195.00
    Customer Preferred Package 2TH: 3,560.00
    Options: 1,645.00
    Color: Black
    Destination: 740.00

MSRP: $30,140.00
    Regional Discounts: 0.00
    Accessories: 698.00

Sub Total*: $30,838.00

Model Chosen
    > 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 REGULAR CAB LARAMIE 4X2 LWB [ $24,935 ]

Package Selected
    > Customer Preferred Package 2TH [ $3,560 ]
    - Standard Features
    - Air Conditioning with Dual Zone Temperature Control
    - Steering Wheel-Mounted Audio Controls
    - Laramie Badge
    - Woodgrain Instrument Panel Bezel
    - Overhead Console with Trip Computer and Universal Garage Door Opener
    - Fog Lamps
    - Bright Body-Color Grille
    - Remote Keyless Entry
    - Rearview Mirror with Auto-Dimming Feature
    - Body-Color Bodyside Molding
    - Power Adjustable Pedals
    - Sound System Including AM/FM Radio, Cassette Player and In-Dash CD Player
    Infinity(R) Speaker System

- Eight-Way Power Driver's Seat
    - Vehicle Security System
    - Sentry Key(R) Engine Immobilizer
    - Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
    - Front Center Seat Cushion Storage
    - LT265/70R17E OWL All-Season Tires
    - 17" x 8" Cast Aluminum Wheels
    - Sliding Rear Window
    - Leather 40/20/40 Bench Seat
    Front Center Seat Cushion Storage

Options Configured
    > 5-45RFE Five-Speed Automatic Transmission [ $975 ]
    > 4.10 Axle Ratio [ $50 ]
    > Heated Front Seats [ $140 ]
    > Anti-Spin Differential Axle [ $285 ]
    > Sport Appearance Group [ $195 ]
    Rear Body-Color Bumper with Step Pads
    Body-Color Front Fascia
    Fog Lamps
    Body-Color Grille
    Molding - Bodyside Delete
    17\' x 8\' Cast Aluminum Wheels

Accessories Added
    > Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver and Antenna Kit, includes receiver, antenna, owner's manual, and activation information. Vehicle specific Installation Kit is required [001 X $175.00]
    > Walnut Burl, instrument panel, 6-pieces [001 X $195.00]
    > 8.0' Bed Mat, includes tailgate cover [001 X $159.00]
    > Walnut Burl, door panels, w/power lock and power windows, 4-pieces [001 X $169.00]

Colors Picked
    [ incl. ]
    Paint Procedure: Monotone Paint Interior Trim: Dark Slate Gray Seating
    Primary Paint: Black Clear Coat Exterior Paint Seats: Leather 40/20/40 Bench Seat

Standard Features
    - Hemi(R) Magnum(R) 5.7L, V8 SMPI Engine
    - Five-Speed Manual Transmission
    - Front Passenger Air Bag ON/OFF Switch
    - Front Next Generation Air Bags
    - Air Conditioning
    - 136-Ampere Alternator
    - Fixed Antenna
    - Passenger Assist Handle
    - Rear 10.50 Axle Ratio
    - 3.73 Axle Ratio
    - Bright Dodge Badge
    - SLT Badge
    - Battery - 700 Amp Maintenance Free
    - Front License Plate Bracket
    - Four-Wheel Disc Antilock Brakes
    - Bright Front Bumper
    - Bright Rear Bumper with Step Pads
    - Front Seat Area Carpet
    - Overhead Console with Trip Computer
    - EVAP Control System
    - U.S. 50-State Low-Emissions Vehicle (LEV)
    - Next Generation Engine Controller
    - Body-Color Upper Fascia
    - Front Floor Mats
    - 35-Gallon Polyethylene Fuel Tank
    - GVW Rating 8,650 Pounds
    - Bright Grille
    - Halogen Headlamps
    - Dual-Note Electric Horns
    - Chrome Center Hubcap
    - Instrument Cluster with Tachometer
    - Dash Liner Insulation
    - Floor Tunnel Insulation
    - Cargo Lamp
    - Glove Box Lamp
    - Cigar Lighter
    - Power Locks
    - Rearview Day/Night Mirror
    - Power Heated, Foldaway Mirrors
    - Monotone Paint
    - Front Bumper Sight Shields
    - Pickup Box
    - Auxiliary 12V Power Outlet
    - Sound System Including AM/FM Radio and In-Dash CD Player
    - Cloth 40/20/40 Split-Bench Seat
    - Front Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers
    - Rear Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers
    - Height-Adjustable Seat Belts
    - Full-Size Spare Tire
    - Four Speakers
    - Speed Control
    - 120-mph Primary Speedometer
    - Front Stabilizer Bar
    - Power Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    - Tilt Steering Column
    - Four-Spoke Steering Wheel
    - Cab-Back Storage
    - Passenger-Side Sun Visor with Mirror
    - Removable Tailgate with Caliper Latches
    - Electronically-Controlled Throttle
    - Winch Tire Carrier
    - LT265/70R17E BSW All-Season Tires
    - Spare 17-Inch Steel Wheel
    - 17" x 8" Chrome-Clad Steel Wheels
    - Fixed Rear Window
    - Power Windows with Driver's One-Touch Down Feature
    - Tinted Glass Windows
    - Black Windshield Moldings
    - Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers
    - Trailer Tow Wiring Harness with Four-Pin Connector
    BIG DAVE 40 CAVES AS DOLLARS ARE WAVED - SWITCHES TO 345 H.P. HEMI DODGE AS THEY MAKE A DEAL THAT HE, ‘JUST COULDN’T REFUSE.

Lancaster, PA, Detroit, MI & Stuttgart -- Special to National Wire Services & Internet Outlets Worldwide -- A Lancaster, PA Dodge Truck Dealer announced an historic coup in the pick-up truck world as they signed a sales agreement on a 2003 ¾ ton Dodge Hemi with U.S. Truck Force Commander Big Dave 40, formally a Chevy man head-to-toe. Insiders report that Detroit and Stuttgart Executives have been after Big Dave for years to switch their Dodge mark. Finally, they made Dave a phenomenal deal that just couldn’t be passed-up. “They are trying to reach the ‘dynamic centers of interest’ in the pick-up world to lure followers into the Dodge showrooms”, Dave said. Big Dave was considered a BIG FISH and they have landed him in the posh leather cab of their best ¾ ton Model for 2003. Dave’s new rig boasts the sport paint job and the very powerful 345 H.P. Hemispheric Combustion Chamber engine. Dave reports that, “these horses have very long legs, the power is just unbelievable!”

For a dyed-in-the-wool Chevy lover all his adult life, it wasn’t easy for Dave to make the big switch. The Big Boys played hardball. The Detroit and Stuttgart Execs. offered Big Dave a financial deal that was too good to be true along with a truck that meets and exceeds all of Dave’s exacting specifications and abilities. “In the end, it wasn’t just the money”, says Dave. “They’ve got a hell of a truck here that beats anything on the Chevy lot today.”

Dave announced that, “I know this may well shake-up some of my long-time truckin’ buddies from around the Country, but change is the nature of the Universe and I’m still open minded enough to listen to these very smart Dodge Engineers and their bankers!” “Take a test drive in one of these Hemi’s and you might just feel the same”.
    Let us know how that tranny holds up.....oh and BTW, congrats on the truck.
    We're all reading... Tell us everything. Don't forget to compare the MPGs of the Chev to the Hemi.
    I know, if you have to ask about MPGs, you shouldn't have bought a truck. But, just the same, we want to know.
    Okay. So is this 5.7 Hemi engine really as noisy as a diesel?

Dusty
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    I know this isnt for the Cummins. But why isnt the New High Output Diesel available in Massachusetts .......sometimes it's just to unbelievable to live in this state
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I believe the HO Cummins is not available in all areas due to emmisions restrictions. I am not sure but I dont think there is a catylitic converter on the HO engine.
    Well, I was told a while ago that there were no 5.7 hemi engines available in our zone, but yesterday a guy at my Dodge dealership said they sold two. Both RAM 2500s and both the same day. Another salesperson said they've been transfering some in from other zones on dealer trades when they can find a dealer that's willing. Maybe that's why a few weeks back they weren't showing up in the search. Still no RAM 1500s with the hemi, though.

I got to hear the new "quiet" diesel Cummins motor. It still sounds like a diesel a little, but it is considerably quieter!

Regards,
    Dusty
  • 1932caddy1932caddy Member Posts: 13
    Just drove a white Ram STL QC 2003. Very quiet at 75-80 mph and handled well with good wheel feed back. Hard to see over front end and couldnot see either right or left front fender. It would be hard to park. Truck had lots of pickup and engine sounds good but not over powering.Brakes worked well and stopped straight ahead. Interior and engine compartment well done. I do want a Laramie series with leather interior and a few more upgrades over the SLT. All in all I was very impressed. Have previously owned a GMC Sierra QC 1999 year. The 2500 appears much better.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Go for the Ford Harley Davidson truck. I test drove one a few months back and it was AWESOME! The power and ride was great. Handled pretty good too.

Not to mention, its one great looking truck. So, how are things in paradise?
    Im also a Chevy convert. I recently ordered and took delivery of a 2003 Ford F150 Supercrew. Awesome truck! :)

It was time to get rid of the Chevy anyway with all of the problems. Not to mention I really needed to haul people around vs cargo. This Supercrew is the best of both worlds really.

Sorry to take up time in a Dodge post talking about Ford's!
    Congrats on the new truck. Change the tires yet?

One of the things that I disliked about the Denali or any suv for that matter is the inability to secure items in the rear which may become missles in a rear ender.

Unfortunate for me the dealers here have exactly "0" Harleys on the lot and can't give me a date when one will arrive. Guess its due to it being a limited edition. Maybe I'll have to shop for one on the west coast, that is if the longshoremen don't get locked out after the 80 day injunction. I guess that's one of the prices for living in paradise.

I did take a look at the new Dodges. 20" rims make for a great looking truck. Just wish I could get past the somewhat dated front end. Everything else seems to be a winner.

Did I mention that I stopped by the GMC dealer to have yet another recall on the OnStar system? Well, when waiting for the recall to be performed I took a look at the new Denali truck. Which now has extended fender flares and due to this those god awful yellow lights on top of the cab. And one of the salesman was trying to get me to go for a new H2 Hummer. Yeah right.

Life is good...in paradise.
    those cab lights are awesome

The H2s are to civilanized.
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Someone is actually willing to pay the premium for those? Wow.
    Not to put too fine a point on this, the new Dodge Ram Hemi is the best driving small-block V-8 ever offered in a new pickup. Time will tell if it is as rugged as its competitors, but it’s got them covered in every other way already. And it’s actually the base engine in the new Ram Heavies.

Built at a new plant in Mexico, the Hemi doesn’t look at first glance like a world-beater. After all, it still uses pushrods to operate just two overhead valves for each cylinder – technology that’s practically been around since the dawn of fire. Maybe it’s the hemispherical combustion chambers (the Hemi name isn’t just marketing bluster) or the dual spark plugs or DCX’s engine development engineers are performing some weird voodoo, but this engine is simply awesome.

Using an iron block and aluminum cylinder heads, the Hemi’s most surprising element may be that it’s a relatively short stroke design. The 3.58-inch stroke of the Hemi’s crank is actually shorter than the 3.78-inch stroke used by GM’s 5.3-liter Vortec 5300 V-8 or the 4.16-inch stroke of Ford’s 5.4-liter Triton V-8. And naturally that means the Hemi’s 3.92-inch cylinder bores are relatively large. That short stroke may be what gives the Hemi an eager-to-rev personality that isn’t matched in any other pickup V-8. For a truck engine, this one feels like a sports car.

Yet the rev-happiness of the Hemi doesn’t come at the expense of output. The Hemi makes one horsepower for each of its 345-cubic inches of displacement (at 5400 rpm) despite a modest 9.6:1 compression ratio and an appetite for regular-grade swill. The 375-pound feet of peak torque at 4200 rpm is also unmatched in a pickup truck small-block V-8. In fact, the only V-8 that offers more grunt than the Hemi is GM’s Vortec 8100 big-block which pumps out 455-pound feet at just 3200 rpm but uses 151-cubic inches more displacement than the Hemi to do it, can only muster 340-horsepower and is thirstier.

To put it in perspective, the 5.7-liter Hemi is rated just five-horsepower less than the standard 5.7-liter LS-1 V-8 in the Chevrolet Corvette. And the Corvette has both a higher compression ratio and a few cubic inches more displacement. When Chrysler starts pounding on this engine for automotive use (an all-aluminum version is being engineered for Chrysler’s new family of rear-drive cars) the results could be epic.

Hooked to either the standard five-speed manual or optional five-speed automatic transmission, the Hemi is totally ingratiating. It purrs like a three-ton kitten, runs like a full-grown mountain lion and pulls like a bull elephant. Why they named this truck after a sheep remains a mystery.
    Where did you copy that from? Pickuptrucks.com? LMAO!!
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I believe it came from thecarconnection.com. Here's the link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5415&sid=181&n=157

You'll get a reminder about the townhall rules and regs about posting a link instead of copying an article. :-)

Stephen
    believe it came from thecarconnection.com. Here's the link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5415&sid=181&n=157
  • biker9biker9 Member Posts: 2
    This is a relevant issue! Is there any posted data anywhere on any 3/4-1 Ton pickups?
    The 2003 Dodge 2500 Laramie looks very interesting. It will be good to see/drive one in central Ohio.
  • zenfulnesszenfulness Member Posts: 11
    Here I sit, my eyes are ready to fall out from reading everything available to mankind about every truck with four wheels that has ever roamed this earth since God said,"Turn on your headlights!"
    I'm dying here, I just bought a 02 Tahoe LT for my wife. It was a very difficult move from Ford to Chevy, but in this case I am really please with the move. Now I have been driving the same Ford work van for the last 10 years, and I am really tired of vans. So I have looked at F250's, Chevy(what's with the new body style, someone at Chevy get a new Pharmacist?), GMC 2500 HD's, but I haven't looked at the Dodge yet, although I have seen the pic's(quite a good looking truck). I am going Friday, or Saturday to drive. So Dave40, how is the ride, really? And you haven't looked back since? Push me over the edge...
    "someone at Chevy get a new Pharmacist?), "

haha. They are smoking some bad stuff over there

Ill be waiting for the next redesign
  • chambemchambem Member Posts: 3
    850 miles into my 2003 RAM 2500, 5.7L Hemi. Extremely quiet at idle: growling begins on acceleration! Great sound if you like a throaty exhaust. The sound is quite unlike the clanking, clunking sounds emitted from a diesel. It's great. My last truck was a 1999 RAM 2500, 5.9L and it was "tame" compared to the hemi. This is one awesome engine mated to a bad-[non-permissible content removed] exhaust system. I'd highly recommend you test drive this beast . . . it's great fun to drive. My dealer says Dodge plans on installing the hemi in the 1500 series. Hide the women and children! :=)
    .........will be able to submit orders for RAM 1500s with the 5.7 hemi the first week of December, according to my dealer. They will not be available with a manual transmission until sometime later in the year. He also said the first "thirty or so" are already sold!

I've also been told that the 4.7 engine will be getting a horsepower boost in the near future.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    dusty,

where'd you get that info about the 4.7l engine upgrade??
    ..........from someone in the fleet business.

Dusty
  • zenfulnesszenfulness Member Posts: 11
    Just got back from the dealer... I don't know what was more exciting, my first date where I wasn't alone in the back sit of car with an iceberg, or driving this big massive hunk of steel!!! This has got some real POWER! For the little amount of a test drive, it was a real gas. This truck oozed buy me, take me home, and I will treat you right, big boy. My only disappointment is with the interior. Why is it with these manufacture's, and the dollars we pay, that the quality looks like the dash of a Yugo? The seats were comfortable for the short time I was able to sit in it. The leather, I felt, was not up to par. The cloth seats were the same way. The seat belt, old style, not too uncomfortable. But all in all, these are just minor complaints. I WILL be going back to drive it again! If I end up buying this truck, now I will have to decide what color. There are some good looking colors out there. I am so confused...
  • chambemchambem Member Posts: 3
    My post #42 gives my very positive initial impression on the 5.7L Hemi. To paint a more complete picture, I'd like to follow up Zenfulness' comments on the interior. I completely agree. My 1999 2500 had the best interior layout I've ever seen: somebody was thinking straight. In the 2003, however, they took a giant step backward. Evidence: (1) No grab handle over pax door as before; (2) Two rear cloths hangars arranged so cloths hang OVER the back window!; (3)Seat belts not integrated with seats as before; (4)Extending sun visors are hokey, no vanity mirror for driver as before; pax vanity mirror is not covered as before; (5) Leather in seats does not appear to be of high quality, at least not as nice as that in my 1999 RAM. These are indeed minor points, but, (in this competitive market)show lack of attention to detail and assume loyal customers are not paying attention. This truck is my home away from home and small things make a big difference.
    Thanks for the reply. Nope, have not swapped out the tires yet and not sure if Im going to. I now have Goodyear ATS tires. They seem to handle and ride very well, even in the rain.

That sucks that there are no Harley's where you are in paradise. That would be one sweet looking trucking driving along the beach! ;)

So far so good with the S'Crew, not one problem yet. Can't say the same for my Chevy. Had problems with it right from the get go.

Glad to hear all is good in your corner.
  • gmengineman1gmengineman1 Member Posts: 32
    I spent two hours with a tech friend who works for thelocal Dodge dealer. We went over the new 5.7 Hemi and when I was done I concluded that this was really not a true Hemi as the ones I knew in the late '50's and early '60's. Nice power plant. Some great innovative ideas. Especially with the ignition system. The valve covers were designed to resemble the old Hemi covers and the dual plug setup is efficient. Lots of power but a hefty option price too. Wait for a little bit. I think the option price may drop a little. For power, I'm impressed. For design, its looks like a lot of new technology is being used.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    hefty option price in what?? so far they aren't availalbe in the 1500...and they are STANDARD in the heavy duties...!
This discussion has been closed.