Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Dodge 5.7 Hemi

Comments

• Im also a Chevy convert. I recently ordered and took delivery of a 2003 Ford F150 Supercrew. Awesome truck! :)

It was time to get rid of the Chevy anyway with all of the problems. Not to mention I really needed to haul people around vs cargo. This Supercrew is the best of both worlds really.

Sorry to take up time in a Dodge post talking about Ford's!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Congrats on the new truck. Change the tires yet?

One of the things that I disliked about the Denali or any suv for that matter is the inability to secure items in the rear which may become missles in a rear ender.

Unfortunate for me the dealers here have exactly "0" Harleys on the lot and can't give me a date when one will arrive. Guess its due to it being a limited edition. Maybe I'll have to shop for one on the west coast, that is if the longshoremen don't get locked out after the 80 day injunction. I guess that's one of the prices for living in paradise.

I did take a look at the new Dodges. 20" rims make for a great looking truck. Just wish I could get past the somewhat dated front end. Everything else seems to be a winner.

Did I mention that I stopped by the GMC dealer to have yet another recall on the OnStar system? Well, when waiting for the recall to be performed I took a look at the new Denali truck. Which now has extended fender flares and due to this those god awful yellow lights on top of the cab. And one of the salesman was trying to get me to go for a new H2 Hummer. Yeah right.

Life is good...in paradise.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    those cab lights are awesome

The H2s are to civilanized.
  • cb70cb70 Posts: 226
    Someone is actually willing to pay the premium for those? Wow.
  • dave40dave40 Posts: 582
    Not to put too fine a point on this, the new Dodge Ram Hemi is the best driving small-block V-8 ever offered in a new pickup. Time will tell if it is as rugged as its competitors, but it’s got them covered in every other way already. And it’s actually the base engine in the new Ram Heavies.

Built at a new plant in Mexico, the Hemi doesn’t look at first glance like a world-beater. After all, it still uses pushrods to operate just two overhead valves for each cylinder – technology that’s practically been around since the dawn of fire. Maybe it’s the hemispherical combustion chambers (the Hemi name isn’t just marketing bluster) or the dual spark plugs or DCX’s engine development engineers are performing some weird voodoo, but this engine is simply awesome.

Using an iron block and aluminum cylinder heads, the Hemi’s most surprising element may be that it’s a relatively short stroke design. The 3.58-inch stroke of the Hemi’s crank is actually shorter than the 3.78-inch stroke used by GM’s 5.3-liter Vortec 5300 V-8 or the 4.16-inch stroke of Ford’s 5.4-liter Triton V-8. And naturally that means the Hemi’s 3.92-inch cylinder bores are relatively large. That short stroke may be what gives the Hemi an eager-to-rev personality that isn’t matched in any other pickup V-8. For a truck engine, this one feels like a sports car.

Yet the rev-happiness of the Hemi doesn’t come at the expense of output. The Hemi makes one horsepower for each of its 345-cubic inches of displacement (at 5400 rpm) despite a modest 9.6:1 compression ratio and an appetite for regular-grade swill. The 375-pound feet of peak torque at 4200 rpm is also unmatched in a pickup truck small-block V-8. In fact, the only V-8 that offers more grunt than the Hemi is GM’s Vortec 8100 big-block which pumps out 455-pound feet at just 3200 rpm but uses 151-cubic inches more displacement than the Hemi to do it, can only muster 340-horsepower and is thirstier.

To put it in perspective, the 5.7-liter Hemi is rated just five-horsepower less than the standard 5.7-liter LS-1 V-8 in the Chevrolet Corvette. And the Corvette has both a higher compression ratio and a few cubic inches more displacement. When Chrysler starts pounding on this engine for automotive use (an all-aluminum version is being engineered for Chrysler’s new family of rear-drive cars) the results could be epic.

Hooked to either the standard five-speed manual or optional five-speed automatic transmission, the Hemi is totally ingratiating. It purrs like a three-ton kitten, runs like a full-grown mountain lion and pulls like a bull elephant. Why they named this truck after a sheep remains a mystery.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Where did you copy that from? Pickuptrucks.com? LMAO!!
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    I believe it came from thecarconnection.com. Here's the link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5415&sid=181&n=157

You'll get a reminder about the townhall rules and regs about posting a link instead of copying an article. :-)

Stephen
    believe it came from thecarconnection.com. Here's the link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5415&sid=181&n=157
  • biker9biker9 Posts: 2
    This is a relevant issue! Is there any posted data anywhere on any 3/4-1 Ton pickups?
    The 2003 Dodge 2500 Laramie looks very interesting. It will be good to see/drive one in central Ohio.
  • Here I sit, my eyes are ready to fall out from reading everything available to mankind about every truck with four wheels that has ever roamed this earth since God said,"Turn on your headlights!"
    I'm dying here, I just bought a 02 Tahoe LT for my wife. It was a very difficult move from Ford to Chevy, but in this case I am really please with the move. Now I have been driving the same Ford work van for the last 10 years, and I am really tired of vans. So I have looked at F250's, Chevy(what's with the new body style, someone at Chevy get a new Pharmacist?), GMC 2500 HD's, but I haven't looked at the Dodge yet, although I have seen the pic's(quite a good looking truck). I am going Friday, or Saturday to drive. So Dave40, how is the ride, really? And you haven't looked back since? Push me over the edge...
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    "someone at Chevy get a new Pharmacist?), "

haha. They are smoking some bad stuff over there

Ill be waiting for the next redesign
  • 850 miles into my 2003 RAM 2500, 5.7L Hemi. Extremely quiet at idle: growling begins on acceleration! Great sound if you like a throaty exhaust. The sound is quite unlike the clanking, clunking sounds emitted from a diesel. It's great. My last truck was a 1999 RAM 2500, 5.9L and it was "tame" compared to the hemi. This is one awesome engine mated to a bad-[non-permissible content removed] exhaust system. I'd highly recommend you test drive this beast . . . it's great fun to drive. My dealer says Dodge plans on installing the hemi in the 1500 series. Hide the women and children! :=)
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    .........will be able to submit orders for RAM 1500s with the 5.7 hemi the first week of December, according to my dealer. They will not be available with a manual transmission until sometime later in the year. He also said the first "thirty or so" are already sold!

I've also been told that the 4.7 engine will be getting a horsepower boost in the near future.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    dusty,

where'd you get that info about the 4.7l engine upgrade??
    ..........from someone in the fleet business.

Dusty
  • Just got back from the dealer... I don't know what was more exciting, my first date where I wasn't alone in the back sit of car with an iceberg, or driving this big massive hunk of steel!!! This has got some real POWER! For the little amount of a test drive, it was a real gas. This truck oozed buy me, take me home, and I will treat you right, big boy. My only disappointment is with the interior. Why is it with these manufacture's, and the dollars we pay, that the quality looks like the dash of a Yugo? The seats were comfortable for the short time I was able to sit in it. The leather, I felt, was not up to par. The cloth seats were the same way. The seat belt, old style, not too uncomfortable. But all in all, these are just minor complaints. I WILL be going back to drive it again! If I end up buying this truck, now I will have to decide what color. There are some good looking colors out there. I am so confused...
  • My post #42 gives my very positive initial impression on the 5.7L Hemi. To paint a more complete picture, I'd like to follow up Zenfulness' comments on the interior. I completely agree. My 1999 2500 had the best interior layout I've ever seen: somebody was thinking straight. In the 2003, however, they took a giant step backward. Evidence: (1) No grab handle over pax door as before; (2) Two rear cloths hangars arranged so cloths hang OVER the back window!; (3)Seat belts not integrated with seats as before; (4)Extending sun visors are hokey, no vanity mirror for driver as before; pax vanity mirror is not covered as before; (5) Leather in seats does not appear to be of high quality, at least not as nice as that in my 1999 RAM. These are indeed minor points, but, (in this competitive market)show lack of attention to detail and assume loyal customers are not paying attention. This truck is my home away from home and small things make a big difference.
  • Thanks for the reply. Nope, have not swapped out the tires yet and not sure if Im going to. I now have Goodyear ATS tires. They seem to handle and ride very well, even in the rain.

That sucks that there are no Harley's where you are in paradise. That would be one sweet looking trucking driving along the beach! ;)

So far so good with the S'Crew, not one problem yet. Can't say the same for my Chevy. Had problems with it right from the get go.

Glad to hear all is good in your corner.
  • I spent two hours with a tech friend who works for thelocal Dodge dealer. We went over the new 5.7 Hemi and when I was done I concluded that this was really not a true Hemi as the ones I knew in the late '50's and early '60's. Nice power plant. Some great innovative ideas. Especially with the ignition system. The valve covers were designed to resemble the old Hemi covers and the dual plug setup is efficient. Lots of power but a hefty option price too. Wait for a little bit. I think the option price may drop a little. For power, I'm impressed. For design, its looks like a lot of new technology is being used.
    hefty option price in what?? so far they aren't availalbe in the 1500...and they are STANDARD in the heavy duties...!
    Muscular engine will pull a range of trucks and cars

October 17, 2000

BY LAWRENCE ULRICH
    DETROIT FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

It was a '50s engine, a '60s legend. But Chrysler's fabled Hemi engine -- which put it firmly atop the NASCAR, drag racing and muscle car heap -- was extinct after 1971, done in by emissions standards and soaring insurance costs.

More than three decades later, the Hemi makes an impressive comeback in the new Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickups. Still as thunderously powerful as a Jimi Hendrix riff, but spiffed up to answer modern fuel economy and emissions concerns, Hemi engines will eventually power a range of Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep sport-utilities and pickups and even a few cars, including upcoming rear-wheel-drive replacements for the Dodge Intrepid and Chrysler 300M sedans.

It's called a Hemi for the hemispherical shape of the combustion chamber inside an engine's cylinders, where fuel and air are ignited by a spark to create power. The roomy design allows larger valves, which let the engine gulp more air to create awesome power and torque.

That notorious punch is a hallmark of the new 5.7-liter Hemi Magnum, which produces a best-in-class 345 horsepower and 375 pound-feet of torque. Consider an optional pair of Cummins turbo diesels -- including a high-output version with 555 pound-feet of torque -- and Dodge finally has a fearsome rival to the traditional work-truck powerhouses from Ford and Chevy.

Originally set to debut in the light-duty Ram 1500 for 2002, industry experts say the Hemi was delayed by engineering tweaks to ensure long-term durability.

Now that it's here, the Saltillo, Mexico-built engine will make its way into some versions of the standard Ram, perhaps by late in the '03 model year.

The next-generation Dodge Intrepid -- whose name may be switched to Charger -- and 300M should get a Hemi engine in roughly late 2004. After that, the Dodge Durango, Dakota and Jeep Grand Cherokee are in line for the powerplant.

Chrysler began experimenting with the Hemi layout even before World War II, but didn't offer its first Hemi until 1951, in cars like the New Yorker and Imperial. Dodge began using the Red Ram Hemi in 1953 and dropped it into a heavy-duty truck a year later.

But the legend really took off in 1964, when a radical high-performance Hemi sent Richard Petty to his first win at the Daytona 500 stock car race and his first NASCAR championship.

The strikingly similar street Hemi debuted two years later in a wide range of models including the Dodge Coronet 500 and Plymouth Belvedere. Advertised with 425 horsepower, the 426-cubic-inch monster may actually have produced closer to 500.

Gather any group of muscle car fans, and several will boast they once owned an original production Hemi. But in truth, with the optional 426 Hemi adding $700-$1,100 to the price of roughly $3,000 cars, few customers were willing to ante up. Just 10,904 Hemi-powered cars were produced over six years. That kind of rarity makes any genuine Hemi a coveted collectors' item, from the Dodge Super Bee to the Plymouth Superbird.

Chrysler retired the Hemi after 1971, in race and street forms. Muscle-car insurance premiums were soaring, and the fledgling Clean Air Act and Environmental Protection Agency were instituting the first emissions standards. The rules sounded a death knell for high-performance cars. But Hemi engines, whether from Chrysler or aftermarket manufacturers, have continued to dominate drag racing for 30 years.

Even by muscle-car standards, the Hemi was notoriously fuel-thirsty and polluting. That made it seem an unlikely starting point for a modern powerplant, says Bob Lee, who directs rear-drive engine development for Chrysler Group.

Lee and other engineers began working to revive the Hemi in 1997, but met with skepticism from some peers, who were convinced it was an engineering dead-end.

"We've been there, we know what it does, it's dirty," is how Lee sums up opponents' views, adding, "but we have to be open to what new technology can do."

Two spark plugs per cylinder and a direct ignition system can now ensure fast, complete combustion, allowing the new engine to meet all emissions standards. Sophisticated software allowed engineers to precisely analyze what's going on inside a Hemi's cylinders, something that was impossible in the '50s.

Dodge tested the Hemi for the equivalent of 11 million consumer miles, far longer than for most engines.

The result is an engine that is smaller and lighter than the one it replaces, a 5.9-liter V8, but produces 40 percent more power and gets 8-10 percent better fuel economy. While the newfound power is welcome, the Hemi's sound is nearly as impressive, a husky rumble that strikes the perfect balance between smoothness and statement.

The Hemi bestows the heavy-duty Ram with class-leading power, but the standard Ram soldiers on with its outdated 5.9-liter V8 (along with a smaller 4.7-liter engine) that now stands out as the weak link in an otherwise excellent truck.

Chrysler execs won't confirm when the Hemi will be introduced in the standard-duty Ram, but they acknowledge it can't come soon enough.

"We know people want it, and the dealers are screaming for it," said Bob Hegbloom, Dodge truck brand manager.
    according to car-truck.com dodge will open up hemi 1/2 ton ordering on dec 3rd...
    ...........shape is closely the same as the last hemi engine Chrysler produced, the 426. Because that engine incorporated a flat roof section and steeper sides it was not a true hemispherical shape either. Because they were not 100% symetrical, earlier Chrysler hemis (aka 331cid, etc.) were not a true hemispherical shape as well.

I know of no automotive engine produced that has been referred to as "hemi" that utilized a completely symetrical, completely pure half spherical shape.

Dusty
    Chrysler Group will also revive the glory days of the Dodge
    Rebellion and the fabled Hemi, when it displays the Kenne Bell
    Supercharged Hemi Ram with its massive Blowzilla 2.2-liter twin-
    screw supercharger and intercooler, 16 plug aluminum heads, and
    Optimizer II electronic engine management system. With 500
    horsepower, the Dodge Hemi Ram turns up the tempo on sport trucks.
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    I suspect some of the difference you noticed are the result of accomodating the optional side curtain airbags.... Don't want the airbags to deploy in a side impact and skewer us with our dry cleaning now do we...
  • I suspect you are exactly correct regarding the elimination of the pax grab handle and the placement of the cloths hangars. Conjurs up some potentially humorous (though potentially painful) images :=)

About 2000 miles now and this "beast" is running great. One other comparison to my '99 RAM 2500: the auto trans is much smoother in the 03. I just hope it can handle the torque over time.
    hey chambem,

keep us up to date on your hemi!! we are all interested...
    Perhaps there is a cartoonist among us who could conjure up some quality (read: sick) humor! Don't pay any attention to emale, he's living vicariously through you since he was recruited by "the Dark Side".. He'll be back.. But I digress Chambem--what's your gas mileage been? Impressions on ride and handling now that you've had her for a bit?
    DustyK--I'm very interested in your covert information on power increases for the 4.7. I suspected (hoped and prayed feverishly)they would need to do this in order to cover the gaping chasm between the output of the 5.7 and 4.7. Frankly I'm of the opinion that when they released the 1500 last year--it ought to have had the 3.7 AND a 260HP/325LB-FT 4.7 with a 5 speed auto as it's only option. Let the damned 5.9 die a timely death! Keep us appraised. I doubt we'll see the application of the Hemi architecture to the 4.7--more' the pity...
    Chambem--you have a 2003 2500...what style and trim level?
  • c01c01 Posts: 28
    It appears the decision makers at Daimler have had a positive influence on the bottom line at Chrysler, has anyone noticed any improvements in product quality?http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0210/29/b01-620802.htm
This discussion has been closed.