Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Could be the little "fingers" that grasp a bottle or cup and retract for different size containers?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yep, also known as prongs. Some cupholders have 'em, others don't.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    I am now in Argentina. I have driven nearly 40,000 miles from the USA, through Central American, and South American in almost 2 years.

I have reported in this forum 20K or 30K miles experiences and when I visit this site many of your contributions just confirm what I have published before.

These are some of the comments I made:

-The BFG Spec tyres had to be changed at 20K miles.
    -Front lights set had to be changed because water managed to go into it.
    -Car clearance is good only for moderate off road driving. --I have a deep indentation in the petrol tank.
    -Paint on plastic covers (e.g. Mirrors) fading with very bad milky spots.
    -Petrol consumption is around 20 miles per galon.
    -The interior plastic scratches easily. The boot is practically full of scratches and white spots.
    -Leather seats have lost firmess (There are visible corrugated grooves in the leather. (These appeared after a few thousand miles).
    -Mud has managed to cover almost the whole of the engine compartment.

These are some added comments:

-Engine becomes very noisy after 2 hours of continuous driving. Noise is higher when A/C is on.
    -Light (ghost) rattle noises start to appear.
    -Driver window (electrical) makes noises at full retract operation.
    -The clamp-hose that holds the hot water hose to the radiator has snapped.
    -Dust gets into the car easiy.
    -Doors do not close with the neat and nice "clunk" noise as when it was new.

I had a flat tyre (Bridgestone-Dueler)in Bolivia. These tyres are very noisy. Expect to change all set when returned to the USA.

A few days ago a car ran into the back of me. The rear bumper seemed to do a good job of withstanding the impact as there are just a few scratches on it and no other damage compared to the other car which had a smashed headlight and a bent bonnet(hood).

I feel OK with this car and may buy the next generation of Tucson (four years from now).

B
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    This post is more comment than reply to the above update.
    Keep in mind this wasn't an easy U.S. style...paved interstate roads...service centers in every city (all linked by those nice paved roads) 40K mile jaunt. Looks as though there was a lot of poor/no road driving, harsh weather, mud etc. etc. So, this 40K probably equates 100K US style driving. It appears it was a tough 40K so for the trim to fade (equatorial strength sun)...hose clamp to fail (hey it happened to me in Pa.)...leather seating and interior plastic trim to take a beating..light rattles to appear (remember poor or no road much of the time)while getting 20 mpg all seems to pay tribute to Hyundai quality.
  • jveneziajvenezia Member Posts: 85
    For those of us who are very curious about the 07 Tucson, this link will take you to the NHTSA web page that describes crash-testing the 07 FWD and AWD. The photos show that the 07 MY is outwardly unchanged from the 06 MY. Oh well...I was hoping for something just a little more angular, like the Kia Sportage. But the Tucson is relatively new to the market and it's not due for a redesign yet.

By the way, the Tucson was awesome in its tests! 5 stars!
  • karportkarport Member Posts: 13
    New Colors and seat fabric.
    Dash bord slightly changed including heat and AC controls.
    AC now an option on the GLS (which replaced the GL)
    Slight change on the exterior regarding cladding and side view mirrors.
    Funny thing is floor mats are now an option on all models.
  • golfgalgolfgal Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I'm in So Cal and am wondering if you know when the 2007 Tucson will be out and/or where did you see details of that car? Thanks
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Should arrive soon - as this is the time for most model change-overs.

This is the press release for the 07 Tucson - look for more details in the upcoming weeks:

Award-Winning Tucson Returns For 2007 With Five-Star Safety Rating, Lower Entry Price And Revised Model Range

http://www.hyundainews.com/hyundainews/corporate93.htm
  • lgslgs Member Posts: 27
    According to the press release, the Tucson retains the 173HP engine spec from the last two years. I was under the impression that the 2007 would be upgraded to the same 2.7L v6 that the Santa Fe has, which puts up 185hp, I believe.

I don't see why Hyundai would make two output versions of essentially the identical engine.
  • duckiedduckied Member Posts: 52
    It looks like the 2007 Tucson brochure is available on the Hyundai website. Unfortunately, the Tucson hasn't changed much since 2006.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/shoppingtools/ebrochure/tucson.aspx
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    Will someone direct me to a good Forum link (Hyundai or Tucson)where basic (good tips) maintenance, inspection and repair may be found?

I am the 40K Tucson chap that has tested this car to the limit. In general I am very impressed by this car. When I bought the car in the USA, I though that after the driving torture the car underwent in almost 2 year of inhospitable roads, I will get rid off of it because the car will eventually fall in pieces. This didn’t happen and now I am determined to keep the car and look after it. I have done “Do-It-Yourself Maintenance” given in the Tucson Owner’s Manual and I expect to continue doing it. I have also bought the Tucson Shop Manuals. Only serious repairs will require a Hyundai garage.

The car went through those horrible and unexpected “Speed Humps” that populated all of Mexico, Central America and South America roads. I perceive when the car is driven at slow speed (5-10 miles/hr) an audible repetitive noise (a noise like slapping someone) as if something is catching on something else. The frequency increase with the speed until it disappears when the car runs at around 30 miles/hr upward.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This sounds like a good place for you to hang out and help the new owners and hopefully get some tips yourself:

Hyundai Tucson Maintenance & Repair
  • chyannachyanna Member Posts: 9
    steve_ & tidester ...

Are we allowed to post links to other sites that would be useful to other members? I don't want to break any rules. :D
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The appropriate sections of the membership agreement state:

"You agree that your Postings will not promote, link to or encourage others to visit auto Web sites that provide message boards, forums or chats.

Including a link in a Posting to another Web site is permissible when appropriate in the context of answering a question posed by another Member, but not for the purpose of promoting other automotive communities or third-party services or products. The Hosts will remove any link they believe does not provide value to visitors."

I hope that helps!

tidester, host
  • tall_paultall_paul Member Posts: 1
    I have a manual 4-cylinder 2.0L * NEW * Tucson 2006:
    When stopped after 1+ hour session of highway driving,
    the engine idle speed stays high between 2000-2700 RPM until I re-engage gears, and only then RPM decelerates when driving again, until next stop.
    After a cool down, idle speed is "normal".

Within 3 weeks of buying the car * NEW *, the check engine light came on. IDLE AIR ACTUATOR (motor) was warranty-replaced. Now same curious idle speed !!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    Both problems seem related.
  • flytedhyflytedhy Member Posts: 63
    Hyundai has a lot of problems with their OBD sensors. Simply cheap. Expect more problems and check engine lights before all the bad ones are replaced. The high idle is likely the mass airflow sensor. Dealers when they can't get a specific code, or don't take the time to look at all the data will replace the cheapest part first. While that may sound like a good business practice, it isnt as its wrong to keep having the customer return for the same problem. A good tech can easily fix the problem as high idles leave many trails on the OBD. Look on your receipt to see if they listed a diagnostic code.
  • tjdepere2004tjdepere2004 Member Posts: 40
    Would appreciate someone explaining this company's warranty in depth.. My grand daughter is interested in their Tuson model, either new or used. She was attempting to explain the warranty to me.Yes I know I can read it at their web site. My need is to understand your understanding of the warranty,. Thanks
  • vegito1971vegito1971 Member Posts: 24
    The powertrain is covered at 10 years or 100,000 miles for the origianl owner or immediate family members, in the event of ownership transfer. For used vehicles the coverage drops to 5 years or 60,000 miles.

In both cases the vehicle comes with a 5 year or 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty that covers everything that is not deemed as "routine maintenance" items. This would include filters, fluids, brake pads, etc. However these exceptions are covered for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles on new vehicles. Most dealerships will try to push an extended 10 year or 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty off on new vehicle sales. You will have to weigh the cost vs. benfit(s) of this for yourself. The cost tends to vary widely from around $750 to $1,500. I was offered it for $750 but passed. Be skeptical and make sure that is offered through Hyundai though. If not then it can have all kinds of fine print attached that could easily lead to you inadvertently voiding the coverage.

I personally had a 2002 Santa Fe GLS AWD and replaced both front wiper arms and both front brake calipers. The finish on the wiper arms became dull and eventually started to rust. It turned out that only one brake caliper actually was having trouble "sticking", they just guessed at the wrong one first. Regardless, all was done without any charge or hassle. I realize that there are a lot of parts involved in the assembly of any vehicle and something is bound to go bad. This is where I rest at ease knowing that my warranty is there for a long, long time.

I have since added a 2005 Elantra GLS for everyday driving and replaced the 2002 Santa Fe with a 2006 Santa Fe GLS 3.5L AWD. I obviously feel confident in the build quality of these vehicles or I wouldn't have bought 3 to date since 2002.
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Hyundai Tucson
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • heinsterheinster Member Posts: 2
    No tucson posts for a while. Well here is one. I have a 2005 LX 4WD . Question is when you alarm the car is'nt a red LED supposed to flash inside the car to indicate that it is armed? I thought it was odd that mine does'nt flash, no LED at all. Can any one answer this for me? The car runs great, no problems at all,gas milage is ok at 16 allcity and 24 all highway. Thats with a k&n air filter and tire pressure at 35 psi. Of course its winter here,temps in the 30's. Don't do much better in the summer.This thing is pretty quiet and a great freeway ride,really good acceleration,not right off the line though.Got 16,000 miles on it.Happy new year to all!!
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    I have a new 07 tucson and I was checking the tranny fluid
    as the manual states, in neutral and warm idle. It looked a
    little low, so i went to dealer and they checked it. here is
    the strange part, they told me you are supposed to check fluid level with the engine off [warm ] I showed them the
    manual tells you to do it with engine running, they said that is wrong. what is the right way plus i called hyundai
    and they won't give me an answer they told me to go to the
    dealer what gives!
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    2.0 or 2.7?
  • fbyersfbyers Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2006 4WD V6 Tucson. I really like the car. The owner’s manual states the when the 4WD lock button is pushed. The setup begins to get cancelled when the vehicle speed exceeds 30 km/h and completely releases at 40 km/h. This is only 20 mph to 25 mph. In my opinion this not 4WD. If I am driving on the highway and one of my front tires slips or spins will my rear wheels engage at speeds greater than 25 mph.
  • sandypath1sandypath1 Member Posts: 4
    Can you tell me what you meant exactly or why you wrote "the car need more protection under the chassis and the clearance is not enough. Big stone and small rocks may puncture the petrol tank."???? I bought a 2006 Hyundai Tuscon this month. Yesterday while driving at a slow speed, in the daytime driving with no distractions, I heard a thump under my car. I smelled gas and pulled over as gas flowed from under my car. Two fire trucks, the health department and a hazardous spill clean up company, later (the tank was full), I am told my gas tank AND "shield or guard" has a huge rip in it. I pulled over less than a mile from where the "thump" occurred. The trail of gas can be traced to a small chuckhole (less than 6 inches deep), but there are no objects anywhere along either side of the road that entire distance that can be attributed to what turned out to be a catastrophe. Have you ever heard of anything similar happening? I have never damaged a car in my life and drove a spyder which sat so low it could drive into the chuck hole and never had a problem like this. It is terrifying to think the gas tank could be that fragile to be ripped (not punctured) by a mysterious object that no one seen and could not be located.
    I bought a 2006 Hyundai Tuscon this month. Yesterday while driving at a slow speed, in the daytime driving with no distractions, I heard a thump under my car. I smelled gas and pulled over as gas flowed from under my car. Two fire trucks, the health department and a hazardous spill clean up company, later (the tank was full), I am told my gas tank AND "shield or guard" has a huge rip in it. I pulled over less than a mile from where the "thump" occurred. The trail of gas can be traced to a small chuckhole (less than 6 inches deep), but there are no objects anywhere along either side of the road that entire distance that can be attributed to what turned out to be a catastrophe. Have you ever heard of anything similar happening? I have never damaged a car in my life and drove a spyder which sat so low it could drive into the chuck hole and never had a problem like this. It is terrifying to think the gas tank could be that fragile to be ripped (not punctured) by a mysterious object that no one seen and could not be located.
    It is terrifying to think the gas tank could be that fragile to be ripped (not punctured) by a mysterious object that no one seen and could not be located.

Yes, it is disconcerting but just because you weren't able to find a "mysterious object" should not be construed to mean that either the gas tank or the object is fragile. A collision between a multi-ton vehicle and a solid 6 inch object at even at "slow speed" can move such an object a very considerable distance off the road.

It would have been truly catastrophic had the gasoline ignited and we're glad that did not happen!

tidester, host
  • mikdeemikdee Member Posts: 27
    Don't worry, you have 4WD, which is FWD, until it senses wheel slip then automatically goes into 4WD. The lock button is to lock all 4 wheels in 4WD only for slow speed conditions when you need extra traction, and you choose to manually engage it.
  • psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I have a subaru Forester and am thinking about also geting a Tuscon. I mainly drive at 75mph on the highway. I feel the Forester is very car like with a low chance of roll over. The Tuscon looks high and prone to tiping. I know it scores as high as the Forester in ins. and govt. roll over tests. Does any one have any views on this.
  • mikdeemikdee Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2006 Nautical blue LX V6 auto 4WD and I know the Tucson looks that way, but I've never felt unsafe or top heavy in it, it corners rather well, & sporty IMO, irregardless or the fact that some reviewers say it's a bit soft. I find myself regularly driving it a bit hard on the tight curves, & hills here in rural Pa, as it beckons you to drive it like a sports car. At one time I had considered a Forester, but the hard rear seat, & tight rear legroom was the deal breaker, and the Tuscon seems more roomy for people, & luggage. I drive the highway a lot also, usually 70-80mph, and the Tucson rides like a car, & feels very stable at speed.
    pelican19. it is 2.7 v6 2007
    Thank you for the reply I needed to hear that. I am going to test drive one this week
    looking at a Tuscon SE. I have allergies and need a cabin air filter I do not see it listed. Does anyone know if this is a option.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Don't quote me on this but you may have to upgrade to the Limited trim - the system is Hyundai's Air Quality System (AQS), if I recall.
  • dirtygirldirtygirl Member Posts: 2
    The(!) light has come on twice this week. I took it into a mechanic . they said the tires are fine and the pressure has to be close together in each tire. This lasted a day. Then it came on again, late at night. Does the cold weather effect the sensors in the tires even if technically the tires and pressure are fine? Is this a common problem in the winter? The light is driving me bonkers.
    just buy the cabin filter and install it in filter box behind the glove compartment. I did this with my old santa fe
  • bucster47bucster47 Member Posts: 4
    I took my 06 Tucson to the dealership today and almost demanded that they get to the buttom of this "ESC OFF" light that has been on since saturday. I left them the Tucson so they could figure out the problem by tommorow evening. It is so frustrating! As in answering your question about your heater or AC feeling like it is on when it is off, try adjusting your temperature (I have a limited with automatic temp control). If you had your heater on and the temp is set at say 80, try adjusting the temp to 65 vice versa making sure the fan is off. When I set my temperature in the cabin to 65 and press automatic, i notice that it is blowing cold air but it doesn't show the a/c being on. :confuse:
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Has anyone taken their car in yet? The notice says you need to leave your car. In my case, I would need to stay and wait for the car, and hopefully not miss a full day of work. Thanks.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I recently had mine done and it took them less than 30 minutes to change it. ;)
  • bassfearmeebassfearmee Member Posts: 3
    nearly all automatic transmissions need to be warmed up with the engine running in order to get a correct reading from the dipstick. the dealer mechanics are wrong. also, do not add automatic transmission fluid to a cold tranmission, wait until it warms up before adding fluid. failure to do this can result in serious damage to your tranmission.
    hey guys!
    I have a 06 Tucson limited and it's been a great little suv the past year and a half! But recently (after starting it up) and "ESC OFF" light comes on and stays on. This has been going on the past 4 months and everytime I take to the service department at the dealership to get it checked out, they tell me they can't find anything wrong or that this is "normal" and it should shut off eventually". Does anyone have this same problem? Sometimes the ESC OFF light goes out after starting the engine and other times it just stays on the whole time I'm driving even when I press the ESC OFF button trying to engage the ESC. Please other Tucson owners give me your thoughts on this problem!!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    They're feeding you a bunch of bull! The only times that light should be on is right after starting when it does its self test or when the system is active such as in inclement driving weather and the system detects a "yaw" or slipping condition that needs corrected and only during such situations, not all the time. A constant or steady on during normal driving is indicative of a problem with the system. It sounds to me either the ESC computer is not operating properly or one of the ESC sensors is faulty. If possible, take it to another dealer. If that is not possible, keep after them and if necessary escalate it with Hyundai's Consumer Affairs Dept. The numbers are on their website. :mad:
    I have an 06 Tuscon and the ESC light has only came on one time when I was stuck in snow and constantly trying to rock the vehicle out back and forth. I think it was supposed to be on in that case, but no other time. Let me ask you something unrelated about your tuscon. Does it ever feel like your heater or a/c is on when it's on "off"?
    It seems to me to be a faulty sensor but then again I'm not a ASE certified mechanic. It is frustrating since this problem supposedly never shows up when the techs are testing the system. I left them the Tucson for a couple of days so they could get to the bottom of this problem. thanks for the info, other than that this has been a great little suv! :)
  • lone23riderlone23rider Member Posts: 1
    Hello ,

Does any of you know about when Hyundai
    intends to change model/facelift the present Tucson?
    There are rumors about this being done in 2008 or 2009.
    Thanks again for your help !
  • roberto1980roberto1980 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Im a tucson user, i just want to say, i love ford, i change my ford ranger 1998 for a hyundai tucson 2005 2 years ago and im very rgretful of doig this, i bought the car on cash, here in Ecuador that car cost 22 thousand dollars, doesnt come with airbags, first when i bought it, the right windshield was broken,i didnt notice it until i went to the freeway and hear an air likeage, so i went to the dealer and he said to me that they dont going to change it so they repair it,they repair it well.
    1 year ago the steering gear begun to sound like an old cofee maker, so i went to the dealer again, and they said to me, that sound is normal??????, now the steering gear sound like an old diesel motor, now they said to me that i need to change it, i just want to say that my old ranger never bother me like that, i never spend so much money in repairing it, so im going to sell that piece of crap and buy a ford, i will never buy a hyundai again.
    ow they said to me that i need to change it

Is that covered by warranty?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • irishredirishred Member Posts: 7
    I bought a 07 Tucson in Feb., although the one I wanted didn't have a moonroof, others on the lot did come equipt with one. I had the dealer install one on the model I bought. That's an option also!