Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    You cannot put the crossrails on a Tucson with a sunroof. I can't get a very good explanation as to why, but it is true.
  • jjiyunleejjiyunlee Member Posts: 1
    Hello! I live in Southern California and just purchased a white V6 GLS Tucson (no extra options) from Guy Schmidt Auto Group in Glendale for $18,890 (Yes, $18,890 for a glS). No special offers, no rebates, no loyalty discounts, etc. I had been shopping around for a month or so from different dealerships, and I was offered $19,100 from two or three places, but decided to go with Guy Schmidt because of the price and the interest rate (4.54% [my credit score is 754]). They treated me really well and I just wanted to recommend them to anyone else who's purchasing a Tucson. I love the car and will probably go back to purchase other Hyundais from them. Out-the-door price was around $22,000 after tax, licensing fees, extra full 10-year warranty from Hyundai, and a car-location system (something Guidance...) that'll let me track where my car is if it is stolen.
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    You got a great deal! I paid $23K out the door for a GLS 4x4. So far - love the car! This car would be worthy of the Lexus emblem on the dash, only it costs thousands less!
    No posts here for a few days... Think that the interest has waned on the Tucson, or, could it be that this little ute is just amazingly trouble free?

Anyone care to comment?
    Everybody must be watching the NHL games.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    just me, but I wouldn't be sorry if the NHL just dried up and got carried away in the tradewinds down to South America, or thereabouts. What a lousy excuse for a sport, just for starters. Those stupid fights only make it more of a shambles. Back to something way more interesting, Jason Giambi's steroid use...I...I mean cars!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• haroldwharoldw Member Posts: 8
    I purchased the Tucson GLS (4x4) just a month ago, and have less than 500 miles on it.

I didn't research the MPG's on it before I bought it, but it was a shock seeing less than 14 MPG's in city driving. I think in order to get correct mileage figures from more people, we should set a basis for measuring it.

The recommended pressure is 30 psi, but when I got the car, it had 35 psi, and since the bumps were abrupt, I decreased it to 31 psi, and the ride became more tolerable.

The tires say max pressure is 44, but the ride would be too stiff, so let's say for a few tank fulls, have a few people boost their tire pressure up to 38 psi, and when filling up with gas, when it clicks off, just go to the nearest 25 cents, like if the gas nozzle clicks off at $13.10, then just fill it up to $13.25, that way you can get a consistent fill-up.

I realize 38 psi will give a jarring ride over rough roads, but at least maybe a few of us can stop comparing apples to oranges.

Any one agree with me, and want to join in?
    I have ~34-36 in the front, around 32 in the rears. But I'm not sure what the point of your test is. Even if you get ~2mpg more with the tires pumped up, the ride might be "too harsh" for you. So which is worst, going to the filling station a day sooner, or hating the ride all the time?

Let us know which setting is the optimum for you and give us a report.

The Tucson has fairly overboosted steering IMO, and pumping the tires to 38 or 40 would really make it "floaty."

I have read that the MPG's get a little better after a 3-5K break in period. I'm at 1000 miles now and time will tell. At least it runs strong on 87 octane. Face it, that punchy little six has got great pickup, but for every pleasure - there is a price.
  • latotucsonlatotucson Member Posts: 6
    a 2WD LX with moonroof in Nautical Blue. Sticker was around $22,600. I got it for $20,552. I believe invoice is about $20,665, so I got it for about $100 below invoice. My out the door price was $22,500. I live in Los Angeles. I started off emailing every dealer within 100 miles to see what was the best out the door price they could give me. I got the $22,500 from one dealer and nobody else could touch it. The closest anyone else came was $23,250 out the door. I waited until the dealer had what I wanted and went down and they honored the price after some haggling (I had the salesman's email after all). So don't believe them when they say they can't go below invoice. There must be some kind of hidden dealer incentive behind the invoice.

So, far I really love it. The ride is smooth, fit/finish are quite impressive. Acceleration is fine (although I've been taking it easy like the manual says to do for the first 1,200 miles). It feels very secure and turning radius is surprisingly good. Love the moonroof (my first) and being high up (for the first time). Sound system is great.

I like the rear cargo shelf. Actually, it was one of the reasons I got interested in the Tucson, because my dog liked to jump up and look out the rear window of the Mazda Protege. That just doesn't work if you've got a curtain shade type cover. So, I vote for the shelf.

I've only had it 3 days, so I haven't figured out mileage yet, but I've been trying to follow the manual's instructions about breaking it in for the first 1,200 miles. Not going over 55 mph is a hard one, but since I do mostly surfact street city driving it isn't that hard. I'll give a report once I get the first tank filled, but my estimate is it's going to be around 20mpg.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Which dealer in LA did you buy your Tucson from? Who was the highest priced?
    I bought it from Power Hyundai in Torrance. Most of the email OTD offers were in the $23,250-$23,750 range. One dealer did say the best he could do was $24,100 which he claimed was $400 over invoice! I have a feeling any of the higher offers would have been willing to move a bit once I was in the door, but why bother when you've got a firm offer at $100 below invoice that you're happy with.
  • tearsintheraintearsintherain Member Posts: 8
    There are leases in the Las Vegas area for $179/mo (+tax), with a $1000 down ($0 down if you are a previous Hyundai owner).

Its a 4 year lease, 12k miles/year. Is this a good deal? Seems like it to me, just wondering what other people think. Would like to get a tucson to try out the hyundai brand and as a 2nd drive-around-town car.

And yes, its for the basic LX model which is all I really want.
  • 238000238000 Member Posts: 48
    i GOT MY lx MODEL tUCSON ON 2/29/05. aFTER 172 MILES, OF MIXED IDLING AT THE DEALERSHIP, SOME HIGHWAY, AND AROUND TOWN(Marlborough, CT) the mikleage is aroun d 19 mpg. It should get better.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    This week on the PBS station and Speed Channel, the Motorweek show is including a review for the Tucson. A text of the review can be found at http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/search.shtml. Then look up the Tucson under recent roadtests.

Motorweek seemed to like the Tucson, with the exception of the mileage--they were disappointed with the 18 mpg overall they experienced. This reflects what I have also experienced.
    after 260 miles on my LX 2WD was 17.33. That was mostly city stop-and-go driving. My 1997 Mazda Protege got about an average 22mpg so I'm not too disappointed with the Tucson.
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    Was comparing the Tucson to the new Kia Sportage. Basically they are the same vehicle. The Sportage with the 2.7 v-6 is rated at 19 city, 23 hwy mpg. Curious how the Tucson is rated higher at 20/26.
  • mclarkmclark Member Posts: 3
    I have the 2005 Tucson GLS V6 with AWD. With over 5,000 miles on the odometer, I average slightly over 21 mpg. The worst mileage was 18.5 mpg when the vehicle was new and in the break in period. This was in December with temperatures between 10 and 20 degrees with snow and while playing with the AWD. Now that the weather has warmed up, I occasionally get about 23.5 mpg, which is the highest mileage I have recorded. That's with about 75% highway driving and 87 octane fuel. I've experimented with different octanes and notice no difference in performance or efficiency, so I go with the least expensive octane. It appears the biggest factor in the mileage is the weather, with the cold seriously lowering the mileage. My mileage experience is very close to the EPA ratings of 19/24, so I'm not too disappointed. I'm confident on road trips that the Tucson will exceed the EPA rating.

This vehicle is such a great value, that even if the mileage were a bit worse, it would still be a bargain. I suspect that since the Tucson was released just before winter and there are so few on the road with engines past the break in period, that the mpg's posted by the majority are lower than what the norm will be. So if you are considering the Tucson, don't be scared off by the lower fuel efficiency reported by some folks. In fact, don't let it hinder you from getting the AWD which performs quite impressively, even with the all season tires.
  • firsttruckfirsttruck Member Posts: 3
    WHAT TRUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? IT COST MORE THAN $25.00 TO FILL MY TANK EACH TIME. I HAVE TO FILL IT MORE OFTEN / CITY DRIVING USES MORE GAS IN MY OPINION.
  • xg350guyxg350guy Member Posts: 28
    I am picking up my Tucson tommorow night. Colour is vibrant gold with light beige interior. Model is GLS V6 AWD. I choose the gold, because in Canada it is the only exterior without the blah gray or grey colour. I am so tired of seeing a nice silver or light grey car that has black or grey seats. Grey is the most popular colour apparently for all vehicles. Besides I like the gold colour as it just seems to make the lower mirror bottoms, Roof rack and metal, lower body cladding, and limited chrome details look much crisper! A good misture of various materials masterfully put together, even balanced and tastefully done. The beige interior mimicks the outside in its looks. One thing I have noticed which is a good design idea, is the full wheel arches over each wheel compared to Santa Fe without them. What this should do is limit the tire kick up and keep the side metal cleaner. My XG always had dirty sides, and I cringed looking at such a nice car (black) that was always dirty!

Oh yes, I just traded my 02 XG (beautiful and underated) for a supposedly lot lower value/prestigious SUV, but I know I'm going to be very pleased with the Tucson and the thinking behind it.

I actually think that it could become kinda iconic for the industry, but that depends mainly on the advertising Hyundai pours against it.

They have been traditionally week in this area, like the new American CEO, they should steal someone from either GM or Honda to help them in advertising.

For those considering an XG, wait. Consider the new Santa Fe when it arrives. Ive seen some pictures and it, like the new Sonata will resemble a Honda based vehicle, namely MDX...if you like that.

I am not sure I like the new Sonata, as it seems to deviate from the styles set forth by the Elantra, Tiburon, old Sonata and the Tucson. Maybe this is progress?

Check out the hyundai-motor website for all the hyundai vehicles, and especially the e-catalogs that can be viewed online. They are very well done, and shows the features available for the Korean based Tucson...very impressive.

Anyway, just laughing here to myself, as I am actually hoping that it snows this weekend for the sake of my new Tucson, and testing its snow eating capabilities, as opposed to when I would wash the XG for the weekend and pray for a nice sunny day. Go figure!

From Canada, keep on Tucking!

Cheers!
    PURCHASED OCT. 2004 OVER 5,000 MILES,MINE HAS BEEN IN FOR SERVICE 3 TIMES-ITS' IN NOW FOR A WEEK. I HAVE A LONER VEHICLE. A HOSE IS DEFECTED IN MINE AND IT WILL BE FIXED FOR THE 3RD TIME NOW. WELL I AM WORKING ON HYUNDAI TO TAKE BACK MY DEFECTED MODEL, REPLACE NEW, OR SHOW ME (MY) THE MONEY. I NEED A RELIABLE TRUCK. THAT WAS THE POINT OF BUYING NEW.
    HOW IS YOURS? MINE IS THE SAME COLOR AND MODEL BUT DEFECTED.
    First off, the caps lock key is to the left of the A key, please turn it off. Typing in all caps is akin to yelling. Is that your intent?

So far, my Tuscon has been excellent, no problems. Yes, the gas milage is a bit low, price of having a 4x4 small SUV with a V6. Have about 1500 miles on it so far, hoping it gets better after around 3-4K.

I see from your profile you just joined the Edmonds club on 2/24, yet bought back in October. Just discover this web site? There's a wealth of information here in these forums, but also a place where you can get mislead by what some folks write. Long term tests of the Tucson will be coming up soon at the various sites that log this experience. It would behove all of us to track these experiences as we put the miles on our "Tuskies."
    This is added to my previous message: I have around 278 miles on my Tucson - I love it: The engine is the same as was in my 2003 Sonata which got damaged in an accident so I traded it in. The engine is smooth and responsive, no lurching as happened to other owners(ok, so it emits a healthy growl). So, I'm used to this engine and it does what I ask it to do. The Tucs corners like a sports car, it has a great radio, and the 4-wheel drive is great for me since I live in a hilly area. I guess love is in the eyes of the beholder, but some of the forum comments seem overly critical, and are small matters in the overall scheme of things. Incdentally with my Sonata, someone drove into me on the left rear door, and the car took a good hit. I wouyld only drive Hyundai vehicles - I'm sold.While I was waiting for my Sonata to come out of the shop, the dealership loaned me a 1958 Elantra which had
    around 58,000 miles on it. This was a surprisingly good tight vehicle.
    a 1998 Hyundai Elantra?

The new Hyundai Tucson is as sound as a pound mechanically. Buy them and dig them...they look superior to all small SUV's except that new SUV from South Korea's #2 automaker. I am firmly setting my eyes on the new world order Sportage but I'm very interested in the performance/feature content/reliability of big bro Hyundai's new Tucson. Enjoy 'em!

• mvls1mvls1 Member Posts: 32
    You should test drive the new Sportage, you will like it. I was a little surprised that the Tucson lx model was not outfitted with some of the features that are standard on the Sportage ex model. Quite a mistake in my opinion.
    it'll take mine getting a lot more used before I'll need to, though. I'm at 91,600 fun miles in mine.

Has anyone tested both the Tucson and Sportage? Should be the same, but I didn't before my Tucson, because I did thisfor the Sonata and Magentis/Optima and I found the Magentis to lack same quality as Sonata, plus some features were deleted as well in the Magentis where the Sonata kept them.

Unfortunately, I didn't do this again, maybe I missed out? But I lean a little more towards Hyunda over Kia for now.

I still wish they would just combine all the dealerships instead of sending mixed messages to the consumers.
    My wife, daughter and I test drove both vehicles prior to purchasing. We were able that way to compare the ride/room in front and back. We included the GLS and LX Tucsons in all 2wd trims. In the Sportage we only drove the EX luxury package as we had narrowed it down to the leather in either one. Both vehicles had a solid feel with the fit and finish excellent.

Although the Tucson and Sportage are similar, sharing the same V6 engine, there were differences in the two vehicles. Some of the differences were personal preferences and in no way reflected on the overall quality or future reliability of either vehicle.

Exterior - This went to the Sportage on body side claddings, fog light placement and a more pleasing front hood/wheel fender design. The Tucson's C pillar side window was better than the Sportage's D pillar design.

Interior - This also went to the Sportage based on small differences and some major omissions on the Tucson. We preffered the placement of the transmission shift lever back further from the air/heat controls and the drink holders further to the front(easier to see while driving/reaching for it) rather than between the seats as they are in the Tucson.

The retractable rear cargo cover in the Sportage is sharp looking, practical, easy to remove and stow in a notched area located in the rear storage area out of the way. The removable rigid cargo cover in the Tucson is far too difficult to use and has no where to store it if you need to remove it and are not at home where you can leave it.

The sun visors in the Tucson are much better for practicality. When moved to the side window position there is an extension that pulls out of the end to increase the sun screening area for the side of the driver and passenger heads - a MAJOR plus if the sun happens to be beating through on you.

In the Sportage the drink holders for the rear are located in a pullout from the back side of the front center console (ok for adults, but inconvenient for children). The Tucson has its holders located in the rear fold down armrest a plus for most people.

Seats were comfortable, both front and rear in each vehicle with nice leg room. We also found the seat belts to be very comfortable with plenty of adjustment for different height drivers.

Three glaring omissions from the Tucson that are included on the Sportage are:

Trip computer that keeps track of your fuel economy, distance to empty and elapsed driving time in addition to the current trip since last reset.

Automatic headlights that come at dusk and go off after exiting the vehicle. No more forgetting to turn them on or off.

ECM mirror with home link that can be programmed to activate(open) garage doors, turn on light in the home and automatically dims if desired to reduce glare from vehicle headlights behind you.

In test driving the vehicles, which included city streets and freeway driving, the Sportage felt better in cornering. Don't know why as the Tucson has a slightly larger track and width.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but needed to cover everything while I could remember it. That said, we really liked both vehicles and it came down to small preferences and the three glaring omissions noted above.

BTW, I almost forgot the most glaring MAJOR Kia omission. Kia has NO WARRANTY extension available through the factory forcing you to take a third party program if you want to extend coverage bumper to bumper to 100K mi. I am going through that nightmare now and any help with regards to a reputable company that will be around to pay out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    no need for you to apologize for the lengthy post, that's exactly the type of comparo info. I'm interested in right now. Even though I won't be trading in for at least a year from now, I love to research way out ahead of the game. The Sportage sounds great overall...I went to the new Sportage microsite and colored and spun until my hearts content...I think it looks great in the Volcanic Red and Smart Blue...I'll flip a coin between those two. Do you have the AWD option on yours? Also, manual or auto.transmission? What color did you get, too?

One other important fact you missed was that the Sportage is in it's second generation, but I'm sure most know that this is a benefit perhaps over the Tucson.

But I like and long for Arizona! The Santa Fe was my original first choice, not because of the name, but because it has approx. 5 years of heritage already, but I felt the Tucson had that little extra... what do the french say? Chez na say qua. Bad French I know.

I also believe the Sportage has more airbags, and a few extra features, like auto wipers does it.

Hey heres something I just did less than 24 hours of Tucson ownership... I installed myself an overhead DVD 7" TV screen and player for my eight year old son and other rear passengers, complete with wireless headphones. Now I truly am the koolest dad on the street, ah...er according to my son.

It was easy and in in less than 1 1/2 hours. Total set back $689.00 with tax, value increase... priceless!

Now to find a place for the Xbox. If anyones interested, I can let you know in a future post. By the way a very reputable stereo company told me the same day a mere 1 before it was in my garage and installed, that it couldn't be done because of the factory sunroof and I would have to go with their $1400.00 headrest option. Phoey I said, and now we have Nemo swimming in our Tucson! Go figure that.
    the individual consumer just needs to test drive the Sport or Tuc and decide what style or option package they dig more. One thing is for sure, Hyundai and Kia have designed the best looking "compact-sized" SUV's on the planet! Nice job of accessorizing, too, xg350guy! Enjoy your Tucs!

We purchased the FWD V6 automatic in Black Cherry. Not a true black as it has deep red flecks in it. In the Tucson, we were leaning toward the Alpine Frost. It is a very nice color and will stay cooler inside during the summer than our Black Cherry, but that was all we could find with the options we wanted.
    a fine choice. I'm gonna go load it in on the Sportage microsite and give it a look-see. I was coloring and spinning new Sportage's on there yesterday and I've got to tell ya, Kia has done it again in the styling department! That thing just looks great! I don't know how many dudes they employ in their styling department nor how much time they spend but their thinking on body design jives nicely with mine. Hence, my love of Kia's. Of course, style is only one of the quality elements, but IMO it is a very important one. I happen to love my '01 Sportage 4x4's body design a lot as well.

i MEANT A 1998 eLANTRA
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    An auto writer for a large U.S. newspaper is looking for a few recent Hyundai or Kia buyers to ask them what they think of their cars. He's also is interested in talking to those who are thinking of buying a Hyundai or Kia. His deadline is Friday, March 4. If you're interested in being interviewed for his story, please respond to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dolomitedolomite Member Posts: 20
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I drive around with the headlights on all the time in the Tuscon and it automatically shuts off when the engine turns off.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    That's the battery saver feature. Once you shut the engine off and remove the key, the lights shut off. My wife's '04 Sonata has the same feature.
    The Sportage has an auto feature for the headlights. Once put in auto mode the lights turn on when needed automatically and go off when you exit the vehicle or it gets light enough that you would normally turn them off.
  • dolomitedolomite Member Posts: 20
    So in essence, the auto head lights thing is actually the same in the Sportage and Tuscon. I do hear that the Candian version of the Tuscon actually has day time running lights. Also should mention that the European version has the mpg monitoring system for the trip computer.
    I truly do not understand why Hyundai chose to leave the trip computer with mpg monitoring system off the Tucson lx. The msrp on the Tucson including delivery charges and excluding the advertising fee is $800 more than the similar Sportage. Why?
  • zeke1312zeke1312 Member Posts: 7
    I have recently reviewed and driven both the Hyundai Tucson and Jeep Liberty. I like both vehicles but had to choose one and the choice was not easy. The Tucson has good acceleration, standard "options" such as ESP, heated windshield, etc. I also liked the seating and cargo holding features such as the unique folding seats. The Liberty has true 4x4 and 5klbs towing capacity in addition to the temp/trip/compass mini console. I like the exterior of the Tucson over the Liberty. My choice was the Liberty because of the 4x4 capability, towing, interior styling and quality of interior components. Both vehicles are good choices depending on the owner needs.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    "So in essence, the auto head lights thing is actually the same in the Sportage and Tuscon."

I now have automatic headlamps on my Malibu Maxx. They sense darkness and turn on automatically. They also stay on for about a minute after the car is turned off.

My former ride was an '01 Elantra, its lights automatically went out when the igition key was removed (something all cars should have had if you think about it), but it wasn't the same thing as automatic headlamps. You could have left the lamps on all the time and it would have functioned somewhat like DRL's but there was no light sensing.

Does the Sportage have true automatic headlamps that sense dark, while the Tucson has the former Hyundai system of automatic turnoff? I'm a little confused as to why they'd position similar vehicles with different features?
    Yes the sportage has true auto headlights that sense the light outside and turn on when necessary unlike the Tucson. I stopped by a Hyundai dealer this morning to confirm this. If you're confused as to why they left it off the Tucson, then that makes at least two of us. Don't forget, they are asking $800 more for the Tucson lx with sunroof than the similarly equipped Sportage. The Tucson also is missing the full blown trip computer and the ECM mirror with homelink!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    plus power seat, power pedals and a 3.5 liter engine that gets about the same MPG as my Elantra GLS stick. All for 16 grand. With a GM card I could have done it for a lot less.

(didn't have the ECM mirror, though)

p.s. a full blown trip computer is addictive-- especially when it warns you when the temp. gets down around freezing.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hyundai SUV compacts style, utility (Globe & Mail)

Steve, Host
  • cbnsoulcbnsoul Member Posts: 2
    I recently installed a Curt 2" hitch on my Tucson and am wondering if anyone has heard of a company that is making a T-Connector for the Tucson yet? I've scoured the internet but have yet to find one available and would really rather not hardwire for the hitch if I can avoid it. Thanks.
  • chazzchazz Member Posts: 4
    Thanks mvls1 for your excellent comparison of the Tucson and Sportage. I can add a few things:
    1.The sunroof is optional for the Tucson (GLS,LX) and is mandatory in the higher level Sportage (EX).
    2. If you get a sunroof, you can get dealer installed cross rails on the Sportage, not so on the Tucson.
    3. As for the ride quality, Ann Job in startribune.com felt that the Tucson felt softer and more compliant, the Sportage had a sportier feel. She also noted a bit more road noise for the Sportage.
    4. I believe the two have the identical airbag setups (in contradiction to a previous post).

5. I believe it is tough to get around the $500 advertising fee most Hyundai dealers want, I am not so sure the Kia dealers demand this. Anyone have experience on this?

The unavailability of the dealer bumper-to-bumper warranty 10-year extension on the Kia, might push me to the other side. Could some of you post the prices you were charged for this extension by Hyundai dealers?

Has anyone compared the rear visibility(especially when parking in tight spots) between the two SUVs?

Thanks.

The information about a dealer bumper-to-bumper warranty extension not being available on on Kia, might push me to Hyundai.

Can anyone post prices they paid for this warranty extension with Hyundai?

Does anyone know if Kia dealers will provide warranty service on the Hyndai, and vice-versa?

Can anyone compare the rear visibility (especially when parking in tight sppots) between the two SUVs?

Thanks.
    MSRP for the Hyundai Protection plan 10yr 100,000 is 1318 for 4x4 and 1118 for front wheel drive.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    get around the $500 advertising fee

Instead of trying to avoid the ad fee, focus on your out the door price. That way you'll avoid wasting a lot of time negotiating individual line items on the invoice.

Steve, Host
  • chazzchazz Member Posts: 4
    "MSRP for the Hyundai Protection plan 10yr 100,000 is 1318 for 4x4 and 1118 for front wheel drive"

Thanks danf1 for this useful information. It seems to me that if you are pretty sure you'll keep the car ten years this is a bargain.

As for mvls1's question about reliable third party insurers I have not found one for cars. I can tell you of my three experiences.

1. The factory-provided extended warranty on my Dodge Durango worked out perfectly. I was very pleased with this purchase.

2. When I bought a brand new RV I paid $2400 for a third-party bumper-to-bumper warranty. The first time I brought the RV in for repairs under this policy, they denied 5 out of 5 claims. They had all sorts of loopholes (i.e., "this is not related to component failure" etc.). I deemed the policy totally useless.

3. When I bought a third-party warranty on my home air-conditioner unit, the first time I needed them, the company had folded and gone out of business. They absconded with the money!

4, My conclusion:be very cautious about non-dealer extended warranties.