Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan vs. Ford F150

Comments

• foureyes3foureyes3 Member Posts: 165
    Will there be bigger engine in the 2005 Titan? Will there be more diversity of styles to pick from the 2005? Has anyone seen one yet other than the Texas Titan? I heard the back rearview window is power.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    no change in equipment for 2005. maybe a color or two.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Are available for most new trucks Check out
    http://www.crlaurence.com

They have some cool truck accessories too.

I got my bulletproof window set ups for my motel from them.
  • sswells36sswells36 Member Posts: 1
    With the same interior option, the two are close to identical....
    that's not much to look forward to in the 2005. so what's going to be the selling point of the 2005? I figured there would be something new to talk about besides two new colors. Maybe they would have a higher grade interior. Or a remote control lid on the bed. This way you could slide the cover with a remote. that would be neat.how about 18 inch tires on the 4by4 le model then that's nice. they could have options set up where you don't have to have a sunroof with the dvd system.
    first, the truck is just beginning to catch on. making changes too early is suicide for a new vehicle's sales. the 3rd or 4th year of a vehicle is normally when a "refresh" happens.

the LE 4x4 already comes with 18" wheels.

i dont disagree with the last one.
    have you seen the 2005 titans? will they be here by the end of the month?
    possibly by the end of october, but maybe not till mid-november, depending on the region.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I read today the Dodge Ram won the worst mileage in a truck award.
    That's not an award. that's punishment. How did the Titan and F150 do in the category?
    Weren't mentioned. Ford's Ranger was the best in mileage for a compact pickup, Ford's Escape Hybrid was best for an SUV. Ram was worst pickup. That's about all they said.
    Prob. had that monster V-10 Viper engine.......

But if I owned one I wouldn't care anyway
    the dodge 1500 doesnt have the v10 anymore. it has the 'hemi'.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The truck version of the Dodge V10 NEVER appeared in the 1500 series truck. It was optional in the 2500 and 3500. The SRT10 is the 1500 series truck with the the Viper V10 in it. This was done to directly compete with the Ford Lightning.
    Yeah, I have seen that truck and it gets terrible gas mileage. I think it has 500 horsepower. It's definitely a truck meant for speed. You won't get much hauling out of it. Really when do you actually get to used that much power unless you drive on the Audobon. Ford lightning is considered quite the sports truck. I wonder if nissan will produce one. I think I saw a 2005 Titan or a very good look a like of the Titan. The grill was different.
  • bclilb05bclilb05 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a Titan....after extinsive test driving, every full size 4X4 on the market....the titan had the most "get up and go", nicest ride, and looked the best. so i bought one.....i have done nothing but love my truck...i have raced every truck that felt like lining up...i blew away even the dodge "hemi", the ford, chevy .....and mud is no challenge for my truck...i recently applied flowmasters to it and there is NO match for the sound i recieved....i REALLY would go for the titan if one is considering...you will be very pleased with the results....
  • carnuts1carnuts1 Member Posts: 7
    Yet the Consumer Reports survey placed the company's new Ford F-150 pickup in the least reliable column, along with the Jaguar X-Type and S-Type sedans, produced by its British subsidiary. Though the findings are contrary to other consumer feedback, Kozleski said Ford "will go back and see what we can learn from the results."

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0411/09/b01-328882.htm
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The survey doesn't reflect the new model, it's for vehicles purchased around 3 years ago. Ironically in JDPower results, the F-150 has won a slot on the top 2 spots each year consecutively the past couple of years. Consumer Reports is quite questionable and has been for many years.

They also recommended the Explorer Sport Trac which received a low roll-over rating on government crash testing. If you read the article, crash ratings is something they also factor in, for recommending a vehicle.

In the past, they have recommended some newly redesigned vehicles (not yet released) while placing other vehicles that have been out in the market for a few months as (too new to rate).

Which is why Consumer Report has received some critisizm lately since the media is starting to point these inaccuracies out.
  • carnuts1carnuts1 Member Posts: 7
    the Consumer Reports survey placed the company's (new) Ford F-150 pickup in the least reliable column
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    It is correct that the new reliability rating for the F-150 4WD is worse than average. However the 2WD version of the same truck is the most reliable domestic fullsize with average reliability. In the F-150 forum here on edmunds, I have only seen consistent vibration and resonance issues, no real problems with the 4WD and its components. On the whole, there have been very few problems it seems with the new F-150. I believe Consumer Reports is unbiased in its reporting, however I am not sure about this reliability rating given to the 2004 F-150. This being because in looking at the dots that indicate trouble spots on Consumer Reports, the new F-150 has all full-red dots except for half a red dot on body integrity. The Titan has average reliability and has 5 half-red dots. Which according to Consumer Reports "guide to the ratings" would mean that the Titan should be slightly worse than the F-150 in reliabilty.

Satisfaction was above average for the F-150 and much better than average for the Titan.
    CR is a real moving target for me to discipher. Always has been. I consider it a challenge.
  • bushloverbushlover Member Posts: 1
    What was the issue with the radio?

I live in Montreal and will be going to New York next week to buy a Titan. Any comments on that? Warranty will be honored here I believe.

Any more issues with the Titan I should know of?
    Use caution on the warranty issue.

Many mfrs. have new rules and are denying any warranty work on cars bought new in Canada and resold used in the US.

There are a few threads about this in the Smart Shopper area.

I have a place along the US/Can. border. I see many ex-Canadian used cars shipped to the US .

Because of short supply and/or the dollar $$ difference the prices are a bit lower.

BUT I wonder how it works for a US car to Canada?
  • ace555ace555 Member Posts: 3
    I would have to challange your "racing" the dodge hemi. The truck has 345 hp, you have 305hp thats if you have the new Titan and even with your flowmasters you MIGHT have 315. Are you sure the truck was racing you? I really want to race a Titan, I have a 1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8 with all sorts of mods, K&N cold air intake w/filter, "superchip" and flowmaster duel exhaust 40 series. But you might have because even I could keep up with it untill we hit 50 mph then he was gone, but i have a lot of mods on my truck..
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    did all the "mods" you performed help or hurt your gas milege?

I'd sure like to get the milege printed on the window sticker of my '04 F150. Can't seem to break 15 even while hwy driving at 65 mph
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    if you are a truck guy, you should know that HP #'s mean almost as much to acceleration as cupholders do.

torque is the key, and the nissan has more torque at lower RPM than all others.

on top of that, the fact that its a 5-speed tranny with drive-by-wire acceleration gets the titan a solid half-length lead in a race before the dodge even gets off the line.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>>on top of that, the fact that its a 5-speed tranny with drive-by-wire acceleration gets the titan a solid half-length lead in a race before the dodge even gets off the line.

<<<

That 1/2 car-length lead is not due to the fact that the Dodge doesn't have a 5-speed transmission and drive-by-wire, because it does. Actually, the gasoline RAMs have a 6-speed automatic transmission (545RFE). Dusty
    Drive by wire won't give you an advantage of time or speed, it actually will give you a half-second of hesitation over direct wire response, so it's not that.
    and you smoked your breakfast this morning??? lol.

electronic throttle control has significantly faster response from the pedal over cable-actuation.
    I think NV's correct.

The fastest a throttle can open on a direct cable system is only limited by the operator's human motor control. If we assume that drive-by-wire is faster, it still cannot be faster than the operator's foot.

On drive-by-wire systems the throttle is opened by a 4-pole stepper motor. Any computer lag time issues aside, these typically have a 50-150 millisecond reaction time, unless you're talking about a very expensive motor. The computer circuit that operates the throttle motor will have a reaction speed as well. This is typically limited by whatever clock frequency (speed) is plus the buffer (op. amp.). It's very likely that a drive-by-wire system could have as much as 300 ms delay, even in the best of circuits.

Three-hundred milliseconds would not necessarily be noticeable to the average driver. But it is very doubtful that drive-by-wire could ever be as fast as a direct cable operated throttle, in my opinion.

Dusty
    I think NV's correct.

The fastest a throttle can open on a direct cable system is only limited by the operator's human motor control. If we assume that drive-by-wire is faster, it still cannot be faster than the operator's foot.

On drive-by-wire systems the throttle is opened by a 4-pole stepper motor. Any computer lag time issues aside, these typically have a 50-150 millisecond reaction time, unless you're talking about a very expensive motor. The computer circuit that operates the throttle motor will have a reaction speed as well. This is typically limited by whatever clock frequency (speed) is plus the buffer (op. amp.). It's very likely that a drive-by-wire system could have as much as 300 ms delay, even in the best of circuits.

Three-hundred milliseconds would not necessarily be noticeable to the average driver. But it is very doubtful that drive-by-wire could ever be as fast as a direct cable operated throttle, in my opinion.

Dusty
    but dont forget that slack that forms in a cable, along with the imprecise nature of a mechanical throttle. the ETC has no lag in a cable, and the only lag time is in the computation for the right mixture, which you dont get in the mechanical ones...therefore, you get the "throttle lag".

this throttle lag is extremely apparent to me on non-ETC vehicles now that i know the difference.

drive the ford, then drive the nissan, and you will see the difference.
    I'm taking my anecdotal evidence from the complaints on the Lexus boards, where the drivers are complaining about the "hesitation" in the throttle response caused by the drive by wire in the new models over the older ones. It seems noticeable to them. Maybe Nissan has a more expensive motor? Doubt it though.
    being more expensive has nothing to do with it. the lexus motor is a toyota, so maybe nissan just did it better...maybe the software in the lexus is faulty...who knows...all i know is the response in the titan is noticeably quicker than the f150. nissans engineers say its because of the DBW.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    DBW may not change the response time, but the computer limits how fast the throttle opens.

I drove a Titan last week, and I did not like the throttle, it felt "twitchy". With my chevy, or any number of other Chevys and Fords, pressing slowly and gently on the pedal causes the truck to ease into motion, great for backing the hitch ball under the tongue. The Titan did nothing until the pedal moved significantly, then started moving with a twitch.

I did not like the feel of the steering either, but that may be just personal preferences.

Harry
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    but the computer limits how fast the throttle opens.

This can be good and bad, I suppose. Good because it will help those drivers who think they can force more power out of their trucks (under a load) not pour all their fuel out their tailpipes. Bad because if the response is not as sensitive as wire at low speeds, that would certainly be an issue (for me and others who use trucks for their primary purpose). Nearly every time I drive my truck, I'm either backing up to something or hitching a trailer solo. A jumpy truck wouldn't help much in such precision situations as these.

Honestly, why buy a..... Oh, nevermind. We're talking light-duty full size trucks here. No sense in my stirring up the waters. *sheepish grin*
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    "I did not like the throttle, it felt "twitchy"."

thats because with older, more traditional throttles, you have a split second of "lag time" between when you hit the gas and the vehicle goes. most people have become used to this, and going to an instant throttle in the titan can be disconcerting at first if you are not ready for the power. with the titan, there is almost no lag at all. it goes as soon as you touch the gas, with no delay.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    It was a twitch. I touched the throttle very gently, and there was no immediate response until the pedal had moved a fair amount, then the vehicle "twitched" into motion. It was not a strong enough response to call a surge. With the mechanical throttle on my truck, I can increase the engine RPM a few at a time if I try, the Nissan gave nothing till it jumped about 50.

In drive by wire, as the Nissan has, engine response is not more instantanious than mechanical linkage. The opening of the throttle plate allowing more air into the intake is still what raises the RPM. Instead of a cable or rod, DBW has a rheostat that signals a computer that you want more power. The computer sends a signal to a controller that feeds electrical power to the throttle motor.

As throttle response is controlled by movement of your foot, there would have to be a LOT of stretching in the cable for the computer to open the throttle sooner.

I have driven Cadillacs with DBW, and their's is smoother than Titan's.

Harry
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    I am 99% sure the 2004 F-150 came out with drive by wire throttle. Besides, these milliseconds spoken of are in MOST cases beyond detection. The main difference in how the two trucks here take off, probably has to do with torque converter differences and 4-speed as opposed to 5-speed auto transmissions.

While I find that under "drive by wire advantages" you do see "responce," automakers seem to site other reasons for adapting this technology to their vehicles. These include the desire to reduce moving parts, and to eliminate whole parts like the idle air control motor, and TPS senor and making one unit with all of these sensors/functions combined.
    i guess i should play the lottery...im on the 1% side this time...lol.

the f150s do not have DBW.
    They have "Electronic Throttle Control" which in essense, same thing.

BTW, 939,511 F-Series trucks sold for 2004, shattering the previous all-time record of 911,597 set in 2001. Just though I'd share since the "they'll never sell that much again because of new competition" bandwagon was concerned...
    has ETC only for the 5.4L motor. the other 2 engines are still antiques...lol.

also, the ETC wasnt on the truck till the '05 models. when the redesigned truck came out in '03, they all had a mechanical throttle.
    The redesigned truck debuted MY2004, and has had ETC from the start.
    my fault. the 5.4L has ETC, but the 4.6 and 4.2 do not.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Wow. That's a heck of a lot of trucks. How many of those are F350s and below?

I honestly haven't noticed all that many new F150s or Titans up here in Fairbanks. Both are quite noticable because they are in marked contrast to other pickups on the road. Most of the new Fords I see on the road are 250/350, and Titans.... hmm. I have seen 3 or 4 that I know are different rigs, but maybe the 150s and Titans both are more popular with the military folk and just don't commute/drive on the side of town I frequent as much. I see new GMC 1/2 tons more than anything else, but our local GMC dealer (Aurora Motors) tends to garner a lot of local "loyalty."
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    all are f350s and below, some are fleet, but the vast majority are f150s.
    Xwesx,

927,002 are F-150-350, only 12,509 were above.
    i think those 12k units are only f450 and f550...no 650 or 750s in that equation.
    How many Titans were sold in 04? Did they get to 100,000? My Dr. across the street was disgusted Saturday, with his Armada - said it's been "one thing after the other" go wrong with it. Been in twice for brakes in 18,000 miles.
    they got to almost 90k. impressive with the slow start they had.
This discussion has been closed.