Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan vs. Dodge Ram Hemi

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    i started another thread for it...go to trucks to find it. ;-)
  • sardarzsardarz Member Posts: 11
    I took the plunge after a lot of comparison with Detroit built trucks. None matches Titans ride.I went for a LE Canteen exterior.
    Bought at $100 LESS than Invoice(My employer is a partner with Nissan,so I got the same deal as a Nissan employee would get)mighty happy :-).
    I had to call a dozen dealers and only one agreed to sell it to me at VPP.
    The supply of these trucks is very limited here in Houston.Also the sales manager informed me, Nissan is shutting the factory down for holiday's(Don't know for how many days).He says there is a 60 days lag time for him to recieve these trucks after he orders them.
    I drove the truck to the local mall and got looks where ever I went,after I parked and went in the store a guy actually parked nearby and came out to take a around the truck tour ... I am glad the truck is equipped with security system ;-)
    our 1st titan will be here sometime after the 15th. it will be an XE king cab 4X4 in sedona.
  • triattriat Member Posts: 121
    Congratulations Sardarz!! I've only seen the Canteen in sunlight. Does the color change hues in say cloudy weather or in early morning or evening?

When I test drove LE CC silver couple weeks ago, we got a ton of looks, cars pulling alongside for looks..etc.

Write up a review if you get a chance, I think my mid Nov review the only detailed review. Let us know how you like it in day to day driving, & what kind of mileage!! Thanks!

Congrats again! I can't wait for mine to come in!
  • sardarzsardarz Member Posts: 11
    I should say you are a very astute observer, right on with the change of hue...
    You are right,in the early morning or say evening/cloudy the color takes on a dark hue,where as in sunlight it gets a bright hue,dunno if its good or not but I like it...
    My choice was Canteen,Red,Black in that order..
    The ride is very smooth,lots of friends who rode it are very impressed.One of em a hard core chevy follower was very impressed..
    I have not driven it much over the last two days,so do not know about the mileage yet,though I am taking it for a trip to Disney(Florida)next weekend,after 2000 miles of drive I think a review would be justified. :-)
    Cheers
  • tornado25tornado25 Member Posts: 267
    Quote: In the Hemi RAM there are two rear axle ratios available: 3.55:1 and 4.10:1.

Even this isn't entirely true. According the Dodge website, on the 04 Ram w/ Hemi, the only 2 ratios are 3.55 and 3.92. I believe the 3.92 is required with anti-slip diff.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    My apologies. My mistake.

Actually, for the RAM 1500 the axle ratios are 3.55 and 3.92.

For the RAM 2500/3500 series they are 3.73 and 4.10

Thanks for the correction.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • tornado25tornado25 Member Posts: 267
    Oh, I wasn't try to burn you or anything. I can tell you are probably as big a Dodge fan as I am--so we need as much accurate info as we can against Bowke. ;->
    No, I didn't interpret your comment as a burn at all. And I agree, accuracy is important.

By the way, I'm really not a big Dodge fan per se. In fact, I like Nissan products but I am not bound to any. If there wasn't anything I liked about Dodges, I wouldn't own one. When it come to cars, Chrysler just doesn't do it for me. They're okay, no better than what comes out of Ford or GM, maybe even a tad worse.

But when it comes to trucks I do think Dodge is far more competive than a lot of people would really care to admit. Besides, working in the fleet business for a while I really came to have a lot of respect for Chrysler engineering and their truck product.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    that nissan did, shows that toyota and dodge truck buyers are generally the LESS loyal of truck owners. thats why the ram and tundra are the targets.
    Toyota is news, but the loyalty of Dodge owners is old news. When I worked for GM 35 years ago it was the same way. In those days Buick had the highest ownership loyalty.

Dusty
    Generalization here, but Toyota owners are pretty loyal bunch. However I know Nissan was targeting Tundra owners like myself interested in moving larger
  • titan4metitan4me Member Posts: 1
    and especially GMC and Chevy. Their 2004 trucks look like early 90's vintage. Anyway, I just bought my Galaxy Black, Crew Cab LE Titan (w/the Popular, Tow & Utility packages) for $1,900 below MSRP and she is a beauty! I have been getting nothing but compliments from everyone that sees this truck. If you are seriously considering buying a REAL truck, don't forget to look at the Titan.
  • tbeechertbeecher Member Posts: 31
    The Popular and Utility package is NOT available on the LE because it is part of the LE package. Make sure that they are not charging you for it!

Tony
    Radiant Silver CC LE
    San Diego
    $1,000 under MSRP at Poway Nissan
    See Mark S
    I am so jealous. My dealer has gotten mostly KC's & mostly 4x4's the past 2 shipments. I am still waiting on my silver se cc. 4x4 basically useless here.
  • mtnbike722mtnbike722 Member Posts: 3
    I wasn`t planning on buying a new vehicle in April of 2003. I kept seeing the dodge hemi commercials on t. v. I decided to check one out at a dealer. After researching different dealers I visited one.I ended driving one out for probably a ten to fifteen thousand dollar savings over a comparable equipped ford or chevy.I have close to 9,000 miles with very little problems.My milage around town is about 12mpg. On the road I`ve got close to 17 mpg.I do have a leer shell on the back custom painted to match the truck.So far I love this truck. It`s fast enough toget you in to trouble and as I know with my mountian bike ridding and raceing some times you`re kicking butt and sometimes you get spanked!
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    ????? what the ___? What does this have to do with Dodge vs Titan?

also, " probably a ten to fifteen thousand dollar savings over a comparable equipped ford or chev" - What did you do, hold the place up??
    since it is against the rules for me, as a salesperson, to advertise me dealership and self, please leave that information off the public boards. its unfair to those of us who make cars our living. you can email it to anyone you like...just dont put it here, please.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    So you got it for HALF PRICE?
  • lemmerslemmers Member Posts: 8
    The only way to get limited slip in a Titan 2wd is to get the SE and the $900 Off-Road package. (At least that's the way the Titan brochure reads).

If that's true, I see it as a major flaw with the Titan. With Dodge, you can get limited slip with any trim level....Ford too.

Maybe Nissan only plans on selling 4x4's where it snows.
    I train & race on mountain bikes in my off season. I've thought of the mountain bike-truck analogy many times. Mountain bikes from downhill to x-country. Components for different needs from rock climbing & exploring, to all-out race. The stout frames are definitely rugged for any terrain,weather, or abuse! And just like truck owners, mountain bikers are fiercely loyal to our bike, but we admire & learn from others! And most important, there's nothing better than talking about 'em!!

Glad you like your Dodge! My stumbling block with the Dodge is it has only 2 wheel ABS.
    in general, thats exactly what they do. if you go to a dealer in florida, you will see 90% 2WD. in detroit, 90% will be 4x4.
    I just think it's pretty foolish of nissan to only offer limited slip as part of the off road package and only on the SE. (especially since it's standard front AND back on all three 4x4 lines)

It makes the Tundra, F-150 and Ram look much more attractive to the average 2wd shopper. (like me)

What good is 380 ft. lbs. or torque when it's going to an open differential?

It'll be pretty entertaining to see the first 2wd Titan (that can tow 9000 lbs) stuck on a boat ramp doing the "one wheel peel".
    Boaters here have 4x4's just to get their boats out of the water.

At Lake Georgetown there is one particular ramp steep 9%-10% grade and it's a good 250ft long. I saw a guy with a 2wd F150 Supercrew just about lose the entire rig to the lake. Practically melted the right rear tire by the time he got the boat to the top.
    if you are planning to use it for boating, 2WD is useless whether or not you have LSD.
    Spoken like a true salesman.

Actually, I prefer to use my boat for boating.(it works better than my truck)

2wd (with limited slip) works awesome on all the inland boat landings I use. Do people actually drive their truck into the water to lauch or land a boat?

It wasn't that many years ago when 4x4's were owned by farmers and/or had a snow plow hung on the front of them year round.

Later,
    Yep. I totally agree. For years I launched boats with conventional, non-limited slip cars. They worked, but my first ever car with LSD worked a heck of a lot better. In fact, my current pick-up with LSD has proven to be very effective in snow and ice.

For 98% of the time a 2wd LSD truck is all the average person would need. Is 4x4 better? Yes, in certain circumstances it is. But an intelligent person wouldn't get overconfident with LSD and subsequently won't get into trouble in the first place.

Regards,
    Dusty
    shhhh!! Don't tell the 4x4r's around here about that!

Happy New Years everyone!
    if you are comfortable with a 4x2, then the difference between the XE and SE is only about $2100. some of which can be negotiated. shouldnt hurt nissan any.
    Once you convince yourself that the SE is the right thing.. Look at the LE!!!

I actually built a spreadsheet with Ram Laramie vs. Titan LE advantages. The Ram list was short. I will post it later when I boot up my laptop.

Tony
    OK here is my list of advantages (in MY opinion)

Advantage Ram Laramie

Classic Look
    20 inch wheels
    Dual Zone A/C
    Rear seat fold out steel floor

Advantage Titan LE CC

Contemporary Look
    Sprayed in Bedliner
    Bed tie-down system
    four extra inches rear leg room
    Better fuel mileage
    Cargo box outside
    Memory seat/pedal/mirrors
    Center console w/floor shift
    Automatic Headlights
    Running Boards
    Heated seats standard
    Back seat grocery hooks
    Ten speakers w/subwoofer
    Two One-Touch Power Windows
    Rear Power Outlet
    Cargo Power Outlet
    Not to be picky, but I think the RAM was a little closer than that.

You didn't mention warranty. Dodge is seven year, 70,000 miles. Titan is five & 60,000.

The RAM has 11 speakers

The RAM has seating for six, Titan five.

The RAM cab width is larger (79.9 to 78.8) giving the RAM more front shoulder (67.0 to 65.1), rear shoulder (66.7 to 64.6), and rear hip (64.6 to 60.1) room.

The Titan does not offer Climate Control.

Of course, I'm comparing the RAM short wheel base to the Titan because the Titan in 2wd is only offered in SWB, but the RAM could be had in standard length box as well.

The RAM has the largest brakes with the most swept area of any PU.

According to the information I have the Titan in 2wd is not available with LSD, the RAM is. If that information is incorrect let me.

I'm surprised you didn't mention approach angle on the Titan. It's considerably more than the RAM. The Titan also holds two more gallons of fuel.

All-in-all, however, I agree that the Titan sure is offering a lot for the money. I think Nissan is going to be very successful with the Titan. I know Nissan products are well engineered and (usually) impeccably assembled.

Good luck with your new truck.

Bests,
    Dusty
    a few asterisks for your points:

the titan has an optional front bench, making seating for 6.

the ram has the largest brake rotors, but what good is it when the ABS is only on the rear wheels?

having said that, the dodge's hemi is a limited availability option. you can get a titan for $23k, but the base dodge with a hemi is almost $30k.
    >>>the ram has the largest brake rotors, but what good is it when the ABS is only on the rear wheels?<<<

Of course, the RAM has four-wheel ABS, too. It's an option. However, the fact that rear wheel ABS is standard does not diminish the fact that the RAM still has better brakes. ABS is not a factor on dry pavement. (actually, its a negative.)

>>>...the dodge's hemi is a limited availability option.<<<

The Hemi IS NOT a limited availability option. It's available on all model variants of the RAM.

>>>you can get a titan for $23k, but the base dodge with a hemi is almost $30k.<<<

Absolutely incorrect. The base RAM ($23,220) is $25,285 (including destination) WITH the Hemi and 545RFE automatic transmission.

Man, where are you getting your competitive information??

Dusty
    As posted the advantages were MY opinion. Things that were important to ME in making a decision.. YMMV.

I was going to buy a Ram Laramie, Hemi, LSD 2WD SB for $27K after rebates before I drove the Titan. After that the price was no longer a deal-maker.

Tony
    "The base RAM ($23,220) is $25,285 (including destination) WITH the Hemi and 545RFE automatic transmission"

you mean that you can get a titan for $23050 with the big motor AND an automatic...but a dodge with the competitive powertrain is more than $2000 higher?!?!?!

my point about the ABS is the fact that it is designed to help the driver keep control in a panic stop, and keep steering control. without ABS on the front wheels, you still lose steering control when the fronts lock up.
  • 02ramman02ramman Member Posts: 62
    Doesn't the dodge have AT LEAST a $2,000 rebate? Also with the hemi 4 wheel ABS came with it in 03. You couldn't get a 1500 without it if you went with the 5.7L Don't know about the 04's.
    Steve
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Just to add to Bowke's response - you mentioned ABS is not a factor on dry pavement (in fact it is a detriment)- I think this probably incorrect. The purpose behind ABS is to allow you to have steering control in a panic stopping situation. In the old days when you went to a driving school (not the learn to drive - but the advance schools) they taught you how to pump the brakes hard and fast when you have a panic stop situation. This allowed you control the direction of the vehicle while you are stopping and you could avoid hitting things while you are braking. Essentially, ABS does the same thing - just better and faster. It was designed to work on dry pavement. In fact, some people say that it isn't as good to use in snowy conditions as once thought. It sometimes can make stops longer.

My only question is why you would even want it on only the rear wheels?
    4 wheel abs has never been standard with anything on a dodge. its a stand-alone option.

also, given the same transaction price, which vehicle offers the better value?

dusty...your price that was discussed earlier was also on a regular cab. the nissan that sells for $23050 is a king cab. it also has 4 wheel ABS, a 5 speed auto trans with the autostick feature, and the standard 305 HP engine, which gets more torque than even the 'big bad' hemi.
    >>>you mean that you can get a titan for $23050 with the big motor AND an automatic...but a dodge with the competitive powertrain is more than $2000 higher<<<

That's in all likihood true. But that wasn't my point.

You said, "you can get a titan for $23k, but the base dodge with a hemi is almost $30k."

You were wrong. The price I quoted was for a base RAM. Yes, it's a conventional cab, but that wasn't the way you phrased your statement.

I'm not arguing about the better value of the Titan. I agree. But you seem to be highly unknowledgeable about the RAM yet you make pretty emphatic statements.

Dusty
    >>>...you mentioned ABS is not a factor on dry pavement (in fact it is a detriment)- I think this probably incorrect... [deletia]...It was designed to work on dry pavement. In fact, some people say that it isn't as good to use in snowy conditions as once thought. It sometimes can make stops longer.<<<

Keanec, let me explain. The contention at the outset was that the Titan had "better" brakes. It was an unqualified, broad statement. There are different ways to evaluate the braking performance of different vehicles. In the vast majority of vehicles the stopping distances are extended when the vehicle is equiped with 4-wheel ABS. That can be viewed as a detriment when carrying a load on dry pavement where ABS would not be much -- if at all -- a factor. To someone carrying a load or pulling a trailer on long down hills, this may be a significant factor. The current RAM has more reserve braking power.

>>>why you would even want it on only the rear wheels?<<<

You know, until I owned a vehicle with rear-wheel ABS I guess I'd wonder the same thing. But since my last four cars have had 4-wheel ABS I find my 2003 Dakota to be the best of both worlds when it comes to ABS. Esentially the rear wheel ABS is going to benefit you with more consistent braking between loaded and unloaded conditions. Since I live in the occasionally snow encrusted environment, the rear wheel ABS on my Dakota has performed admirably well. I have had to stop quickly a number of times on various traction situations -- and because LD PU trucks are inclined to lose control in those conditions, my Dakota has not.

It works better than you might first think. Anyway, in the future I wouldn't want ABS of any type on my vehicles. Our Toyota's ABS is the worst I've ever driven. On GMs, it costs about $1000 every two years to replace the ABS (they fail often). My '93 Sentra had it and I disconnected it because twice it would not let me stop on dry pavement and I was almost killed!!!

Regards,
    Dusty
  • aggiemph1aggiemph1 Member Posts: 56
    I just want to say that most of my family drives late model GM products, and no one has had to have their ABS replaced.

Regarding the 2 wheel ABS, I could see how it would be better than nothing in unloaded pickups since the rear end is so light the brakes have a tendency to lock up without it.

ABS is awesome in panic stop situations, and can be detrimental in other situations, but the software that runs the ABS in you car is getting smarter all the time, and I don't think it is fair to compare an ABS system of 10 years ago to today's improved designs.
  • landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    is just old technology, plain and simple. Originally it was offered on trucks because of the ease with which the rear tires can be locked when the rear is lightly loaded. Now, most modern trucks incorporate some type of brake distribution system so that that lightly loaded rear end is given less braking force in a panic stop.
    You are correct in that MOST 1500 Rams do not have 4wheel ABS and the base models only have 2 wheel ABS. But the Laramie, (or SLT Plus in 02), it was standard on that trim level. You could not get an 03 1500 5.7L without 4 wheel ABS. Yes, again, it was a $495 option but had a package disount of $350.

In ALL 1500's with the 5.7L you have to get the 5 speed auto. They do not make one without it. (Yes, it is around a $1,200 option plus another $900 for the 5.7L). A well spent $2,100 in my opinion. And then you got the HUGE rebates to make up for it and another trim upgrade.

I believe the Nissan is a good competitor and has value MSRP to MSRP and without rebates. All areas of the states have different marketing ploys. Here in Ok the advertised price for an new 04 1500 QC SLT 5.7L is $22,950 (all rebates applied of course). Nissan likes their trucks here in Ok and will only budge a little on the MSRP....so far. Toyota is discounting their Tundra's $7,000. That was un-heard of 6 months ago.

steve
    Two wheel ABS came out in the mid to late 80's in half-ton trucks. This was in part to the "urbanization" of the half-ton truck we know today. With an unloaded or lightly loaded pickup and an driver that is not familiar with the handling differences between a car and truck, could get into a world of hurt. Panic stops will almost always have the rear of the truck pass the front in a slight turn or curve in the road to the unskilled driver, even more so than a car. This multiplies with a wet or slick road.

Then came 4 wheel ABS. It gives you a chance to "stomp and steer" and does help control in MOST situations. But there are drawbacks to it. Get in some sand or gravel and you'll wish you didn't have 4 wheel ABS. Now think about having a trailer behind you in sand or gravel and 4 wheel ABS and trying to come to a quick stop.

Both systems have their pros and cons. Very experienced drivers insist on not having ANY ABS. (Nascar, Formula 1)

ALL heavy aircraft have Anti-skid. It is a must. Without it, you have the chance of blowing tires (without even knowing it)and the dreaded skid off the runway.

Again, to each his own.

Steve
    then answer me this:

why does almost EVERY pickup truck, large and small, have 4-wheel ABS as standard equipment? heck...even a $14k frontier has 4 wheel ABS.
    "......have 4 wheel ABS" (?)

Maybe because some people don't want it. We've had three GM cars with ABS and had all three fail at least once in the vehicle's lifetime. That's a $1000 a pop for a controller!

In addition, I don't think I need it.

Now, if I were a salesperson and wanted to increase my margin, I'd be pushing ABS, too. Hey, look at it this way, if Dodge had 4-wheel ABS there'd be one less thing you could criticize about it.

I have a more optomistic view of the intelligence of today's consumer, I think. If a person feels that ABS is benefical and important enough, they'll buy it.

Dusty
    Dusty,
      You pretty much stated my mind. I agree, it should be an OPTION.

Bowke 28. I'm not dissing you, just setting the facts straight on the RAM. And my other post was my OPINION.

4wheel ABS, like airbags, side impact protection, daytime running lights, blah, blah, blah is a false security that every manufacturer is pushing. Yes, 4 wheel ABS does help in MOST situations. And so do the other safety features. But studies have shown that the AVERAGE consumer thinks that if they have ABS they can stop faster which is not always so. People also tend to believe airbags will keep them from harm. This is why manufacturers are including it (ABS) as standard, but it still costs them money. Just like air conditioning is now pretty much standard for cars and trucks. Go back 10-15 years on a truck and that was still an option even with the top trim level.

Airbags are required by law. So are seatbelts. ABS is not....yet. Like I said in a previous post, if you have a trailer and try to stop in sand or gravel.......

Again, my opinion, and I'm not trying to turn this into a war room.

Steve
    Show me empirical data that ABS has lowered either the automobile accident rate or the injury & death rate!

Dusty
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    was infamous for having lousy ABS systems on a number of their products. Myself, I wouldn't buy a vehicle without ABS. It has saved my tail a number of times.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.