Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Is it just me or is this car loud? I don't mean loud while sitting at an idle in your driveway, I mean out on the highway doing 50-60-70 mph.

At these speeds there seems to be very little muting of the engine noise, the wind noise is profound and invasive, and the road noise (tires) pervades the cockpit interior. I don't recall this level of noise on the RX300.

Is Lexus working on a fix or is this just the state of affairs for the new RX's?

Anybody have some suggestions, or know of any corrective action that Lexus has done to address these concerns?

Thanks in advance.
  • wallie502wallie502 Member Posts: 13
    I found that wind noise can be greatly reduced if the front windows are put down just a tiny bit. It seems when they are pushed all the way up (as they are when they automatically go up), they distort the seal and wind noise enters the cabin. If you tap the windows down a very small amount, so that they are still closed but not jammed up as far as possible, you should eliminate much of your noise. Try it (carefully) while driving so you can notice the difference. Note that the back windows do not suffer from the same problem.

As for engine noise, although my RX is not as silent as one might expect, I think that its supposed to be that way. My RX is a 2004 model from Japan and I got it November 2003.
  • kenlex41kenlex41 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone had experience using the Audiovox XV6600 with the Lexus bluetooth system. I am currently looking at getting one through Verizon Wireless and have heard verizon "disables" most of the bluetooth features so they will not work with Lexus. I specifically want to know if I can upload my address book and use the hands free answering, and one-touch calling feature.

Thanks in advance,
    I don't know much about the Audiovox, but I will share a tidbit on the Motorola 710, which, other than the Audiovox, is the ONLY Bluetooth compatible phone Verizon offers.

FWIW, I did hear from a cell phone dealer that Motorola 710 has different versions now (.1 or .2) that will/will not work with Lexus. I think that the version .2 works with the Lexus but I am not sure of that. The phone book is supposed to work on the newer version phone.

Although Verizon is a great cell phone provider, they have been laggards in providing Bluetooth compatible phones. If more people complained, maybe they would be offering several phone options, instead of one, plus an Audiovox (Blackberry type) that costs almost $550.00.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I discovered through the Genie web site that the rolling code openers will hold only 6 or 7 entries. When I got my last car it just would not take. You have to clear the garage door memory if your opener is maxed out. This may or may not be your problem, but if it is, you gotta have your garage door manual to figure out how to do it. As I recall, on mine you have to hold down the red button on the opener for a minute or so and maybe hold your mouth just right to clear the codes. Of course, you'll have to reprogram all cars that you want entered to open the door. Good luck.
  • fhfcheffhfchef Member Posts: 9
    Anybody have experience with assisting the 05 Rx330 with HP through performance airfilters, chips or modified exhaust? I found that using premium gas did make a big difference on how it drives compared to low octane gas but I was hoping for a little better get up and go. I am not totally thrilled with the responsiveness with the Drive by Wire even though the Lexus website claims this is a big deal. I drove my mom's $20k cheaper Liberty and it had better torque and responsiveness than my Rx330. Nice car otherwise

I was so paranoid about rattles from the articles here that when I got one I raced into the dealership to get if fixed and discovered on the way there that it was just the sunvisor unsnapped rattling against the plastic. :) I turned around versus embarass myself and laughed.

Thanks,
    David
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My 2001 RX300 seems to have more than enough ZOOM when I ask it of it.

Before Cadilac abandoned FWD altogether that were attempting to reduce the accident and injury incidents due to loss of directional control caused by engine compression braking and just plain too much engine torque being applied on an icy or slippery roadbed.

Years ago they started using an over-running clutch in the transaxle to totally eliminate engine compression braking by that high HP/torque Northstar engine.

Of more recent times they actually dethrottled the engines when starting up from a full stop so as to prevent ALL wheelslip due to initial high torque applications. While its fine to "dig out" in a RWD vehicle where you still have the directional control benefit from the front tires' contact patch its a completely different story with FWD.

Since most new vehicles now have DBW I think you will see more and more FWD vehicles that the takeoff torque is artifically limited in order to prevent accidents due to loss of directional control.
    It's happened to me three times already ... I am driving at slow speed, in an intersection, or manuevering in city traffic andd when I step on the gas -- nothing -- the car pauses with NO acceleration for a moment and then WHAM, the torque converter or whatever it is in the powertrain turns back and slams power to the drive shafts and the car lurches forward.

Over the last few years Toyota and Lexus had a well documented problem that sounds remarkably similar to what I am experiencing. Needless to say this is disconcerting, and dangerous!

Anybody else having/had similar problems and if so what's been done about it? Has it been fixed? Any TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) addressing this in 2005 cars?

Thanks in advance for your input
  • springspring Member Posts: 7
    I have the same problem with my RX and am going to meet with Lexus for the third time next week. The first two visits they acknowledged the problem and replaced some rubber seals around the doors, but there was no significant improvement.

The engine/wind/road noise level in my RX is totally unacceptable. But I spoke with a couple of RX owners, they all praised how quiet the car is???
    I have sensed some type of electrical whine that occurs when accelerating but I am not sure of it. Has anyone else had this problem. Kind of like when your radio is not properly grounded and gives off that whine through the speakers.
  • luvubluluvublu Member Posts: 1
    I have 15,000 miles on my 2004 RX330 and tried the +3 # over inflation. No good. The tires are not good and I expect to replace them at 20,000 with michelins. No good solution for me.
    I took my car in this past week. The service manager stonewalled me. Acted like he had never heard of the problem before. He test drove it and of course he said all was operating normally for the characteristics of the car. So, no improvement/fix was offered.

I will be seeing other dealers, and will report my results.
  • dianefoxdianefox Member Posts: 1
    Noticed a 6 inch hairline crack in windshield of my RX330 (just 4 mos. old) less than 48 hours ago. Do not recall anything hitting the windshield. Crack starts in lower left corner (drivers side) and extends upward diagonally. Today crack is now a foot long. My friend - a three time owner of RX's said he also got a crack in his windshield without a stone hitting his windshield to his knowledge. Before I pay to replace the windshield I was wondering if there could possibly be some type of issue with other owners windshields cracking????????Thanks in advance.
  • springspring Member Posts: 7
    I called Lexus customer service instead of the dealer. They arranged me to have a test drive this week with the district (NJ) manager of Lexus.
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    I have same problem with my RX330/2004. The dealer replace it under warranty. The crack happen either on the driver side or the passenger site. There are 2 clips that glue to the top windshield that cause the crack. When the new windshield is replaced, these 2 clips will be remove.
    If your car still under warranty, the dealer should pay for it.
    So I just spent the morning listening to a Service rep inform me that the transmission hesitation is a problem without a solution, the whining is coming from the alternator and that it is known to have this problem but it is the way it is. I just signed a four years lease, and one month into it, I feel like I made a royal mistake in going with the Lexus Rx330. It drives like crap for $37k.

Corporate customer service tried to tell me that the transmission is designed to change, learn your driving habits and adjust for the better. I told him that the transmission degrades itself into hesitation problems and that is deceptive and misleading.
  • chicagocarchicagocar Member Posts: 11
    Any resolution.... I have the same crappy problem with my RX330/2005. Dealer told me this is normal noise level with RX. Also there is other retelling sound, still no solution to that either. I am really frustrated at this point, and even thinking for trading this for MDX. :mad:
    I spoke to a service advisor at a California Lexus dealership yesterday who informed that there was a new TSB for the ES 330 line, model years 2002-2005.

The TSB number I was given was: TC 004-03 for "ECM Calibration". I understand that it was issued for April, 2005.

I believe that the transmission in the RX330s are similar or the same as that of the ES330; whether the TSB may apply to you depends on when your car was manufactured.

I hope that this is helpful to those of you who are experiencing hesitation problems with these cars.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    The dealer said to turn the AC on high and turn off recirculation an then spray Oxion (sp) or something similar in the 3 air intake vents located under the hood by the firewall. This was supposed to kill the mold around the AC condenser. I went to Pep Boys and bought some spray chemical (forgot the name) but it merely reduced, didn't eliminate, the bad smell.

The directions on the spary can said to first (before doing the above) run the AC on recirculation and spray a small portion under recirculation intake vent under the dash. I couldn't find it. Anyone know where it is?

Why doesn't Lexus cover this under warranty. It took almost a year for us to notice the smell. The dealer said they have a process ( guess similar to the above) for $135.00 which will help but no guaranties. I think this is a defect and should be covered in the warranty. My other car (4 yr. old E320) doesn't have this problem.
    see:

http://www.airsept.com/eed.html

and search google:

denso & demist & odor
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    A can of Lysol will work too.
    Actually about 4 a year.
    "The dealer said to turn the AC on high and turn off recirculation and then spray Oxion"

I believe that the product is called OZIUM. They sell it in the lobbies of car washes, and at auto parts stores, etc. It comes in a slender, cigar shaped aerosol can. White label with powder blue letters -- last time I saw it in a store.

You might also try running the HEAT on HIGH and "cooking" out those germs and bacteria, which thrive on moisture in cool, dark spaces like in your vent system. Let it run for as long as you can tolerate it. This works well for my car, and I do it periodically.

Also, get in the habit of running your AC without the "recirc" on from time to time. That will allow fresh, dryer air to get in to the vent system and flush it out naturally.
  • trespinosranchtrespinosranch Member Posts: 27
    I have owned my '04 RX330 since Apr '03, and haven't had any problems, with the exception of the 2 recalls.

I'm getting the 30k service next week and will diffinitely inquire about the transmission hesitation as I've always experienced that while accelerating on some freeway onramps. Let's say you are on a short onramp and give it all the gas, then someone in the left lane changes into the merge lane and you have to back off the accelerator...and then you give it all the gas again...well that's when it hesitates drastically when you need all the power.

Also, I'm going to inquire again about the brakes grinding, but I think they all do that. At the 15k service they gave me a loaner and it did it too. What happens is if you are driving slowly (say 10mph and especially downhill) and stop suddenly there is a loud grinding noise coming from the front brakes.

I'll report back on what happens.

Pete
    "throbs" as you hear the "grinding" noise what is most likely happening is the ABS is activating. Mine only does that with a wet roadbed, or downhill in the wet, but I suppose a quicker, sudden, stop would result in the same effect in the dry.
    Running the A/C on HIGH HEAT will have no effect, other than your own discomfort, unless you use recirculate simultaneously.

ALL system airflow passes through the A/C cooling evaporator (the actual breeding ground of those mold and mildew spores) FIRST and then a portion is routed through the heater core. In fresh mode all the A/C evaporator will "see" is the nice cool outside incoming airflow.
  • averochkaaverochka Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem, my headlights were stolen twice within 2 months. I am also outraged and dissapointed with my choice of a car.
    I read your message in the forum and was wondering whether you were able to proceed with your idea of filing a lawsuit against Lexus. Also please share the precaucions that you took after the theft. Thank you.
  • michael20michael20 Member Posts: 1
    My Mercedes E320 station wagon had a noisy roof rack and I removed the cross bars which substantially reduced the noise. My RX330 Lexus has better designed cross bars but I think the noise would still be less if the cross bars were removed. Has anyone done this? If so how do you get them off? Is there less noise?
  • okeh1okeh1 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2004 RX330 is a stinky too, its been in the dealership numerous times an even been inspected by Lexus HQ , tono avail, they say the smell is normal and just an operating characteristic.
    I was told to leave AC on permantly as this helps clean out the sytem, i've tried everything but it just comes back, mostly worse in cold damp weather.
    I have resigned myself to the fact Lexus don't really care about these types of problems, and they will do everything to deny faults with their vehicles, infact they never reply to any complaint in writing, just have" personal representatives" call .
    I was disgusted with the fact that they couldnt respond in a formal and timely fashion, even after a complaint to the BBB I found out Lexus dont abide by rules., except that is "DENY EVERYTHING .
    Good luck"
    It will help, tremendously, if you learn to religiously leave the windows down slightly during the night when the vehicle is in the garage or under cover. The odor results, indirectly, from the use of the A/C, either for cooling or only for dehumidification to help prevent window and windshield condensation.

Due to the EXTREME density of the A/C evaporator a thin film of moisture will remain on its vanes for many hours.

I have heard that the new LS430 has a UV light source within the A/C plenum to kill off the microbes that would otherwise breed in the dark, damp and dank A/C plenum area.

12 volt powered UV light sources are available if you wish to try that route.

In the meantime I would advise you to read the material at:

http://www.airsept.com/eed.html

for a more thorough and complete understanding of the causative factors.

There are also two c-best options the dealer can set to help you prevent the A/C from operating needlessly. The A/C can be disabled indefinitely from operating automatically, it will need to enable it for any periods you deem it useful. It can also be unlinked from the defog/demist/defrost mode.

There is a third c-best option that can be set so as to prevent the system from automatically switching to cooling mode once the passenger cabin has warmed to the setpoint. That dry and cool airflow can be pretty discomforting on a day or night when the radiant cooling effects on the human body are the dominant factors.

But the primary advantage of the use of this third option is that with the system remaining in the heating, footwell outlet, mode on days when the radiant heating effects are quite low the windshield is kept warmed and is therefore much less subject to sudden fog-over.
    "Running the A/C on HIGH HEAT will have no effect, other than your own discomfort, unless you use recirculate simultaneously."

Please refrain from stating authoritatively what will and will not work on all cars. It's worked on several of my cars and others that friends own.

"In the meantime I would advise you to read the material at ..."

Every message board seems to have a resident guru who presumes to know ALL and wants to 'hold court'. Please consider the possibility that it is not necessary to weigh in on each and every matter. Leave a little breathing room for others to participate in, contribute to, and enjoy this public forum.
    ""If you can wait for model 2005, it'll be great because Toyota might resolve all noise, clunking, and Technical Service Bulletin issue at the time. Remember, Toyota tries to plug every single hole in their product quality.

For any of you considering a purchase of the 2005 RX330, be assured that the problems of excessive engine, road and cabin noise have NOT been resolved. Nor has the slipping and hesitiating transmission. Lexus "quality" seems to have taken a back seat to Lexus "profitability".

There is simply no comparison between the older RX300 and the RX330. Like the commericials said: ".. the all new Lexus RX330 ...". Yeah, it's all new, and not necessarily better!

I'll take the older model any day over this bucket of bolts they call the RX330. Even with its smaller engine and poor turning radius, the RX 300 was a much more quiet and refined driving experience, IMO.

One more thing: plan on budgeting nearly $1,000 to replace all four of the 18" tires that come on this car. The Goodyears are VERY noisy, and after they wear out in 20-30,000 miles you can look forward to a very expensive new tire purchase. The Michelins are quieter.

If you can buy this car with 17" tires, do it! Your car will be quieter, and you'll save gas money and money when its time to re-tire. Better yet, think twice and don't buy this car!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Leave a little breathing room for others to participate in

Everyone is welcome to participate here within our Rules of the Road structure. If you don't care for another member's posts, please use your down arrow. If you have non-Lexus problems with the forum, please take it email.

Steve, Host
    Sorry, but I have never seen nor heard of, an automotive air conditioning system wherein the A/C evaporator isn't located UPSTREAM of the heater core. Therefore the only way one can benefit from the heated airflow exiting the heater core is to have the system in recirc mode. I would suggest FULL recirc if there is moderation method in the system.

But yes, there are likely systems out there that always recirculate at least a portion of the cabin airflow, which would explain, other than the possibility of simple coincidence, why you and your friends have been successful in not using recirc.

The fact that I come on board and state a solution, or correct someone's else's solution, does not prevent anyone else from weighing in with their own ideas or obections, just as your own posts indicates.
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    The crossbars are easy to remove and install. The rear endcaps of the the rails are plastic. They snap off by sliding rearward. There is a set screw that prevents the crossbars from sliding off of the rails. Unscrew the set screw on both sides and the crossbars slide off the end. Replace the set screws and snap on the endcaps by sliding forward and down. Removal and installation is fast and easy. The trick is knowing how the end cap is removed.

I have always taken crossbars off when not in use. I think that their removal does improve wind noise.

If anyone has taken off the rails, let me know if there is a plastic part for the mounting points and if there is any added improvement with their removal. Cosmetically. I would like the look of an uncluttered roof.
    Therefore the only way one can benefit from the heated airflow exiting the heater core is to have the system in recirc mode

It seems that it is your opinion that only the A/C evaporator is capable of breeding bacteria, as opposed to to the vent system and parts in between. Is that your premise?

I would suggest FULL recirc if there is moderation method in the system.

I am glad that you agree that there is a way that this will work. I had also suggested, in a separate sentence, that people run their AC without recirc from time to time in order to get fresh air in and stale air out.
    many manufacturers are today embedding an anti-microbial chemical, fungicide, onto the surfaces of the A/C evaporator vanes. Lexus, in the new LS430, is even going so far as to use a UV light source within the A/C evaporator's plenum area to help combat the breeding of these microbes.

The root cause of mold and mildew odors with regards residential and commercial A/C systems has been well know for many years. While adequate drainage is ALWAYS provided for in these systems, once the cooling cycle is shut down, say during the night, a thin film of moisture will ALWAYS remain on the surfaces of these evaporators for extended periods. It is this moisture, the 65F to 75F temperature, and the airborne food source that results in the microbes breeding and surviving in these dark, damp, and dank environments.
  • olivia1olivia1 Member Posts: 1
    I have also had this problem and the dealer's respnse is "sorry". I am selling the car and as I have no garage available that is convenient, At first, I parked it under street lights and in all lighted place, but the body shop told me ut takes 28-32 seconds for the thieves to take them. I believe a class action suit is necessary as my friend, an attorney, said "when did they (meaning Lexus and dealers) lnow this was a problem. 40% of the larceny is my neighborhood is Xenon light theft.
    Olivia
    ps...right now, the car is in my aunt's garage!!
  • crystal2crystal2 Member Posts: 52
    Olivia 1, Glad you raised this issue. I was wondering if Lexus owners were continuing to have problems with stolen Xenon headlights. I have decided not to drive my new RX330 into NYC without parking in garages (hopefully that is safe enough). Unfortunately, I have read of thefts in suburban NJ and Long Island. This makes me anxious about problems with headlight theft, especially after reading about the high cost of replacement. I did not realize it ran into thousands of dollars? Is this correct for those of you who know from first hand experience (unfortunately)?
  • trespinosranchtrespinosranch Member Posts: 27
    OK, I turned in my '04 RX330 for the 30k service today and inquired about the transmission hesitation issue. The service writer (a great guy) explained very thoroughly the reason. He said (I suspect this was what Lexus uses as their canned response) was that the acceleration problem can't be rectified because of EPA regulations (something about under HARD acceleration the excess fuel has nowhere to go but into the atmosphere). He acknowledged the problem (and showed me two other service orders with identical complaints) and suggested taking other routes if possible to avoid the situation or manually using the transmission. He said that those folks who started using the transmission in manual mode haven't returned to complain again. He also mentioned that if during hard acceration you happen to be at a speed where the transmission won't automatically downshift, you have double trouble. The car is not only hesitating to sync the fuel and higher speed request, but if you're driving faster than the lower gear requires then you're put in the next higher gear. This puts you in a "sitting duck" situation (coasting for a couple of seconds). He stongly recommends manually using the stick to avoid these situations.

I was loaned an "05 RX (without NAV) so I was able to do some experimenting on my way home (about 45 miles). And sure enough I was able to avoid any hesitation problems. You just have to remember to get the car back in "D" after messing around in "3" and "4" or your mpg will suffer.

And just for comparison between the '04 and '05, the '05 is a much softer ride, but seems to lack the power of the '04. Maybe the difference is the mileage...the '05 only has around 5k and the '04 has 30k and is broken in. My '04 tires (Michelin) will be replaced at 35k, and that may return the softer ride.

As far as interior noise they are identical. Nothing to complain about. In fact both handle just as good as my old '00 Acura TL.

Hope this helps and let us know if using the transmission manually helps you too.
  • maylhmaylh Member Posts: 9
    I took my 05 RX330 for the first maintenance service at Sterling McCall Lexus in Houston last weekend. I complained 1)hesitation problem 2)brake, I have to press harder than normal to stop the car. I feel like that something is pulling the car ahead hard when I press the brake, especially from cold start. (I understand the RPM is high when the engine is cold). The service rep told me they are all normal, and suggested that I need to change my driving behavior. The guy used ABS as an example. Since I learned from this board there is no fix for the acceleration hesitation at the moment I didn't ask to fix it. For the brake they said they couldn't do anything about it. They gave me a loaner car and asked me to compare. But the loaner car, a 05 RX330 with 2600 miles, didn't experience such a problem. When I told them my experience with the loaner car they again told me they couldn't do anything about it.

An unpleasent experience in deed. They treated me like someone who doesn't know how to drive. They are arogant. The car was washed but still very dirty. I didn't ask for another wash as I was in a rush. I will probably take the car to other dealers for service and will write a letter to Lexus to complain.

On another note, RX330 has been rated well but my overall experience is so so. Maybe I expect too much. e.g. the noise is no better than my 2000 Toyota Sienna. The guy even suggest that Sienna should be quieter because of the ground clearance. (?).
  • renrutrenrut Member Posts: 1
    I also had a fan noise in my 04 RX 330. The noise was coming from a fan in the right air vent on the passenger side. Once the fan was replaced the noise disappeared. Hope this helps.
    "An unpleasent experience in deed. They treated me like someone who doesn't know how to drive. They are arogant. The car was washed but still very dirty. I didn't ask for another wash as I was in a rush. I will probably take the car to other dealers for service and will write a letter to Lexus to complain.

On another note, RX330 has been rated well but my overall experience is so so. Maybe I expect too much. e.g. the noise is no better than my 2000 Toyota Sienna. The guy even suggest that Sienna should be quieter because of the ground clearance. (?)."

That's a classic refrain you were told. Like most of us, you've probably been driving a car since you were 16 or 17. There is nothing wrong with your driving. Maybe you can ask the mechanic or team leader to go out with you next time so you can try to reproduce the problem with them in the car.

As to the tranny, please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and tell them about the problem. At the very least you will be given written documentation that you have experienced and reported a problem. In many states, lemon laws provide that after 3 or more attempts to correct a problem with a car, you may be entitled to a new car or equivalent compensation. The tranny problem is well known to Lexus, though it is still their dirty little secret. So is the noise.

I recently test drove another Lexus model and the salesperson shared that he is aware that Toyota/Lexus are focused heavily now on profit (earlier years focused on quality and getting marlet share), thus a formerly quiet car like the RX300 was transformed into the lesser RX330. He also mentioned the myriad of people who come who indicate a solid preference for the older RX300.

May I suggest that you take yours to a different dealer. I have found two other dealers who were very nice, appreciative of my business, and one in particular, was really focused on addressing my concerns.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    the RX330 is my wife's car. Due to some eye surgery, I was her passenger for a couple of weeks. When she backs the car there's a noticable rumble. It sounds exactly like a problem I had on my Tahoe. Chevy had a TSB that installed additional rubber dampers on exhaust system (that fixed it). It ain't terrible but definitely not what I expect from Lexus. It was hard to tell if her old ES sedan was running (not a problem in her RX) and the power-train transmitted virtually no information to the cabin.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    My co-worker's 2004 RX330 just got his HID headlights stolen in Boston, MA two days ago. He has been parking in the same neighborhood (on street) since you bought the car few months ago. There are some damage to the hood and driver's door. I don't know much more details or even see his car. He filed an insurance claim. And his agent was already working on another RX300 HID claim when he went there the next day. It is the same thing his dealer told him that only takes thieves 30 seconds to steal it. Damage is estimated few thousand dollars, headlights and body damage.

My wife heard that and immediately changed her mind to buy a RX330 unless some recalls or anti-theft features is being added by Lexus/Toyota. Will the metal tabs or clips stop the thieves from stealing them with force? I read something has been added on the Maxima by Nissan to stop HID thieves. Any good?

I found several listings on eBay for used RX 330 HID headlights with very attractive price, some with broken tabs. What kind of car accident that cause the broken tabs but not the headlights lens???

Folks. If class action is being considered, let me know and my co-worker is in.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    The ones for sale that cheap are probably the stolen ones?????
  • crystal2crystal2 Member Posts: 52
    Hi, Lok888, I am glad you are following up with info and questions. It is not good news and I am not sure there is any effective deterrent by reading the Nissan Maxima forum on stolen headlights. My worse fears have been confirmed. The xenon headlights are expensive to repair, particularly with damage to the car in the process of stealing the headlights (cost thousands of dollars and sometimes repeated hits).

Unfortunately, I live in the NE and my husband is commuting to NJ for work. I was hoping to let him drive the RX but now we may have to keep the RX closer to home because of the chances of this car being targeted in public parking lots that are not heavily trafficked. But even home (Long Island) has had reported incidents.

Question: Are there replacement headlights without the xenons and ballasts, which are the objectives of the thieves? How bad is the incidence of stolen headlights for owners of these cars in the NE? I see quite a few of the RX being driven around my area, so owners out there must know about this problem, if it is prevalent?

I did not realize this was such a bad problem with the headlights until after purchase of the car. Not sure I would have purchased it, knowing this beforehand. I hate to feel captive in this manner (what good is a car if you are afraid of driving it because of expensive repairs resulting from thievery, which will result in much higher premiums if reported for insurance reimbursement?).

Thanks for any info.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Read what others have to say in this ongoing discussion: Stolen Headlights!!

tidester, host
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I am my co-worker heard about the HID thieves in NYC already. And we didn't realize it is so bad until they did their shopping spree here. His car was parked in a nice and quite neighborhood in Allston/Boston line, on street parking. I am sure the insurance companies will have a lot to say to Lexus. The repair cost is about $6000, including a complete set of HID lights (Lexus OEM parts) and repair on hood & door.

I am interested to know if anyone has contact Lexus or even file a complaint to NHTSA which may lead to a recall.
  • aaatttaaattt Member Posts: 22
    As I post above 2 FYI.. seens the problem RX330 come from the new Canada's plant..
    I am in So.California.I ask my sales manager, Can I find a RX330 made in Japan.
    He talk me the story.
    Several years ago all come from Japan.
    After Toyota build the Canada's Plant
    Asia & West coast USA get from Japan. & East Coast USA get from Cadana.
    Now Japan's Plant supply to Asia, & build RX400h & ThouderCloud Edition.(T/C edition original supply to Japan market then send some to USA)
    All reguler RX330 supply to USA now from Canada's plant.