Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• joantjoant Member Posts: 2
    It seems you experienced the same situation I am; that once the computer says "empty" you really have approx. 2 gallons left. I'd like to know if this is really the case. My warning light came on with 13 miles left (not very much warning - although it seems I probably had about 35-40 left). I don't normally drive until empty but I wanted to test the system/computer and see if I could figure out how much I really had left. I know it takes a while to get the "true" MPG but how far should we be able go on a tank of gas....280 or 380 miles? Even my Explorer goes 365 miles on one tank (20 gallons) so I find it hard to believe the Lexus would do worse.
  • jerryfjerryf Member Posts: 6
    I'm wondering if anyone out there has a problem with their A/C during a rainstorm or going through water? I run my air in recirc mode about 90% of the time. My A/C first started acting up when I would go through water. The recirc button light would go out, and the A/C button light would flash, and humid air would start coming out of the vents. I could just hit the A/C button, turning it off, then hit it again & it would come back on. Now, even when parked outside, if there has been a hard rain, the A/C light is flashing when I start the car. Have to turn it off & then turn it back on. I'm in Florida, so this is becoming a common occurance. Any ideas? :confuse:
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I experienced the same thing last week in our 03 Highlander V6....very strange
  • trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    We bought a 2005 RX 330 Thunder Cloud Special Edition and are real happy with it. They corrected most of the wind noise problem in 2005. The new 2005 seems to be noticeably quieter than the 2004 as far as engine noise goes. I really like the All Wheel Drive feature. We also made sure to get the GPS as we had it on our 2002 RX 300 and after having the GPS feature we would never buy another car without it. The package we took also included the Backup Camera feature and also find this to be a great feature when parallel parking. The car drives very smooth and quiet. We owned a 2000 and then a 2002 RX and thought that they were the greatest untill we bought the 2005 RX 330. They really made some great improvements to the 2005. I hope that this helps
    Mike
    I bought a 2005 RX with the Levinston Radio System, and I am very happy with it. It seems like the louder you play it the better it sounds. No distortion noticed when cranked up very high. I don't usualy crank it up real high espicialy when my wife is in the car.
  • dakota5dakota5 Member Posts: 3
    I just took my Lexus in for the dots on the headlights and intentionally left my tank below a quarter tank. They did not fill it. Do you know if the dots were treated as a recall or just service?
    We just bought a new 2005 RX 330 and made sure we got one from Japan. I was told by the dealer that if the Vin # Began with JTJH That it came from Japan. We Bought the Thundercloud limited Edition and the Dealer also told us that the Thundercloud Limited Edition and the 400h Hybrid both are from Japan. Ask your dealer about the Vin # JTJH. I know that I am not having all the problems that I am reading on this fourm. I am very pleased with the Vehicle. I also know that the 2005 has had some changes compared to the 2004 as far as Engine noise. The 2005 is quieter. I hope this will help you
    The Dealer Service advisor told me that after 5,000 miles the car will get beter millage and performance, He also told me that he is going to have the mechanic reset the computer at that time. The computer does build a memory on your driving habits so if you have been driving the car real easy all the time thats the way the car is going to run. I do Own a 2005 RX 330 made in Japan and I am very happy with it.....
    The first four letters if made in Japan should be JTJH...
  • igotrippedigotripped Member Posts: 10
    had 04 rx330 in for 30,000 mile service. week later notice lugnut missing on tire.
    call the dealer tell them the problem say its not their fault. ok lets see car is always in garage, hardly driven since service date..hmmm. not me i dont even know where the jack and lugnut wrench is on the car. long story short will have to pay out of pocket for their negligence. stay away from only dealer in kc. you will be sorry :cry:
  • durbangirldurbangirl Member Posts: 3
    I am curious about the engine hesitation problems I have been reading about in this forum. Is it true that it only happens in the AWD model? At the local dealership - that is the only model available - so I would consider going to CA for a front wheel drive if it would avoid that problem.
  • mikenjmikenj Member Posts: 25
    I received a letter from Lexus to get Data Dots and HID theft deterent brackets put in. Does any one know what exactly are these and are the brackets on the outside so the a..holes who try to steal them know not to mess with the lights?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    good indication nor information source that the hesitation problem only exists with the AWD. There is actually information, obliquely, to the contrary in that it is believed to exist in the ES330 and Camry models also.

Some, including me, believe it exists in the entire Toyota/Lexus V6/5-speed automatic transaxle equipped (FWD or front biased AWD) product line.

I suspect that if the I4 could produce enough torque at a low enough RPM that would result in premature transaxle failures as is happening in the non-hesitation vehicles, RX300, etc, then the hesitating firmware would be applied there also.
  • rbandrband Member Posts: 8
    ..had the same problem with my self levelling HID headlights..dealer replaced both of them under warranty....4 hours of my time.
    This got added to my list of grief...replaced radiator, replaced battery( casing cracked) replaced cigarette lighter (finish flaking off), replaced brake booster, replaced rear brake light switch, replaced front transmission seal which didn't stop the dripping so now they have to go into the tranny and replace the 'O' ring BUT...they can't get to it with out dropping the frame because it's inaccessable to them - 16 warranty hours on this problem alone and it's still dripping pinkstuff in my drive way.
    My dash also squeaks but the dealer says I should wait - that there will be a recall shortly. My sales guy says that Lexux has never issued a recall - that the notices I've been receiving to bring the car back for a free tank of gas are really "Adjustment" notices.
    I'm currently composing a letter to the President of Lexus expressing my whole hearted support of their 'Persuit of Excellence' - just not at my expense campaign....hopefully they'll find it one day.
    Meanwhile I just have to sharpen a few more adjectives b4 the stamp goes on the envelope.

Does anyone know where I can get a big LEMON decal I can slap on the side of my car - you know like the kind they put on busses that you can see thru.
  • rbandrband Member Posts: 8
    That's all very nice until you get the car that has the problems.

Your fortunate not to have spent 16 hours in the dealership over a 3 week period eating stale donuts, drinking warm water and watching re-runs while trying too get a leak fixed in a transmission that's supposed to be bullet proof.

So much for the 'Pursuit of Excellence'.
  • katherine6katherine6 Member Posts: 61
    Sorry for the delay dakota5.
    I received a letter from Lexus directing me to bring the car in for installation of the DataDots. Is that a recall? The letter did mention that HID thieves were targeting large metropolitan areas in the Northeast. Where do you live? Did you get a letter, or did you ask for the DataDots on your own? It would be interesting to know what people in different areas of the country experience re: DataDots. Maybe Lexus treats high theft areas differently?

mikenj, did you get the "theft deterrent brackets?" If so, what are they, and do you think they will be a deterrent? They weren't offered to me. I think I'd feel a bit more confident with both brackets and DataDots, given the theft problem in the greater Boston area, and the cost of repairs.

thanks,
    katherine
  • silverntsilvernt Member Posts: 4
    Dakota5

I live in the Washington DC area and had my data dots completed today. Before going to the dealer, I called and asked if they were treating data dots as a recall. I was told by the receptionist, who put me on hold to find out the answer, that yes they were treating as a recall. However, when I arrived to pick up, my car was still on 1/4 tank. When I inquired, they told me they would fill it, since I was told they would, however, they generally only fill when you receive the official notice, not a letter.
  • mikenjmikenj Member Posts: 25
    I will be getting the brackets together with the Data Dots. I'm assuming that the brackets will actually help by making it harder to remove the lights. What I don't understand is the how are they a deterrent since one can not see them from the outside and will only discover their existence once the process of thieving has began there fore defeating the "deterrence" purpose. I would rather prefer there is something on the outside letting the low lives know "this one's gonna be a pain"
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    They need a sticker "Data Dots Inside" that looks like the "Intel Inside" sticker :surprise:
  • igotrippedigotripped Member Posts: 10
    i had posted a complaint on this board about a certain lugnut issue. i am happy to say that after some discussion with the right people it has been resolved. mabey this bboard does do some good! :)
  • ozz2ozz2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my RX330 earlier this year......had my headlights stolen in my apartment garage last month and the same guys hit 2 other RX330s in my garage and 1 that was parked on the street the same night. Got my car back last Friday after $7500 of repairs.....dealer installed datadots and brackets on the new headlights......guess what? just 6 days later....my wife parked the car in a Target parking lot and it got its headlights stolen in the middle of the day in the 30minutes she was there......nice car and all but the xenon headlights is too much of a bother.......I live in New Jersey and I have been hearing the same thing happening all over NYC and NY state. Bringing in the car tomorrow for repairs again and very likely selling it right after and getting a car without xenon headlights. Any suggestions?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    How about keep the car, but move the hell out of New Jersey?

;)
  • tiger93tiger93 Member Posts: 57
    "How about keep the car, but move the hell out of New Jersey? "

I second the motion!
  • ozz2ozz2 Member Posts: 2
    I was thinking of getting a car without xenon headlights may be the less drastic option.....I can see this problem spreading to other states outside of the northeast easily if all it takes is a minute or two to get to the headlights that sells for couple of hundred bucks in the black market. Just wished Lexus had a non-xenon headlight option on its RX330
  • windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    just turned 15K on our 04, I was one of the first to post about the rear wiper problem, we still have the hinged one but I noticed a post about a REAL FIX, not the one they did on ours. I'll get that done next time in.

Just had a problem with the driver's side mirror. I noticed when we switched drivers on a trip from NM that the horizontal movement was real sluggish, then it quit. I called the dealer and the service writer said he'd have to order the complete unit, skin and all to get the color, and that they'd had several of them already. Got it done in a couple of hours, no problems. Unfortunately two days later the passenger side one started acting up! I searched the forum but didn't see any other posts, are we the first?

Thanks in advance.

windy6
  • jerryfjerryf Member Posts: 6
    Had my passenger side mirror replace about 3 months ago- did the same thing. Only thing still having a problem with is the A/C. Still find that it has turned itself off if the RX has been sitting out in the rain, or if I go thru just a little water it turns off & the A/C button starts flashing. Just have to hit the button (off completely-unlit) and hit again to turn on. But can get to be a real pain here during the rainy season.
  • waltliuwaltliu Member Posts: 2
    Was the windshield crack replaced by the dealer under warranty? Who and where is your dealer? Did the dealer give you any hassle?

The windshield on my two month old RX330 just cracked sitting in the garage over the weekend. The crack was on top of the windshield, just off the rear view mirror.
  • tony101tony101 Member Posts: 3
    Go to an automotive store and buy a small waste bag (made of pleather). It is should be strong enough to hold itself up. Then put it in the front drivers side (and passenger side) storage slot in the door. It works great!
    I also just got my 2005 RX330, only 30 miles on it, and I already notice this clunking sound from the rear passenger side. I live in NY city and every time that rear tire hits a "manhole" cover it clunks! With the windows open its down right embarrassing!

I looked under the car and noticed the entire exhaust system sways from side to side freely. And the exhaust tip uses a spring loaded clamp to hold it in place allowing it to rotate freely. Also, the rear tailpipe is supported by a neoprene hanger which is almost like a heavy duty rubber band.

I think what is happening is there is nothing to prevent the exhaust system from hitting the undercarriage, so when I go over a manhole the tail pipe hits the bottom of the trunk and sounds like my spare tire is loose!

I am going to contact Lexus on this..... I can't believe they dropped the ball on this. By the way this car was made in Canada. VIN 2T2HA......

anymore stories on this?
    I have the Moterola MPX 220. I also just got the Lexus with Bluetooth option. The address book from the phone does not transfer to the car. But it does allow you to setup your own speed dials (about 8) in the car itself.

It also has a log of the numbers you dialed last. I does not transfer the caller ID info either.

With that said, this is one of the coolest features about the car. As soon as I turn on the car it searches for my bloetooth phone and tells me the connection was successful. If any one calls me it mutes the radio and says CALL. The ringing comes from my phone only not the car.

I can pick the phone from my stearing wheel and begin speaking on the car speakerphone. there is a second button on the stearing wheel to hang up.

If I want to place a call, i just press the call button on my wheel and the NAV display turns into a telephone touch screen to begin dialing, or I can choose from my speed dials or logs.

Very cool..... To set it up from my phone I had my phone do a discovery. You have to gointo a menu in the car, but I can't tell you which one cause my salesman did that part....

good luck.
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Yes, dealer should replace it under warranty.
    Lexus of water town in MA.
    No, hassle. After the glass vendor replace the windshield at my home, he ask me to claim through insurance or dealer. I refer the claim go to the dealer.
    Crack happen either left or right the rear view mirror. The 2 clips glue on top of the windshield cause the crack. These 2 clips will be removed before the new windshield replacement.
  • bstimebstime Member Posts: 18
    fyi...had my wife's 2005 rx330 AWD in for service...service guy @ watertown Lexus basically tried VERY VERY hard to talk me out of the re-program/reset of the transmission. Said they had done it for one person and the results were poor and there was no going back. he also gave me the usual BS line about it could be related to poor gas quality and that all premium fuels are not the same. He mentioned the www.TopTierFuels.com initiative which seemed hokey to me. I did read up on it. There is some legitimacy to the claims about detergent levels in gasoline but it is complete BS to suggest an issue that is acknowledged by Toyota to affect specific transmissions could have a root cause of gasoline quality. If that were the case then any model would be affected. Also interesting about the gas quality issue, the only gas company that distributes in MA that meets that top tier rating is SHELL with their v-power formula's. Also interesting that Shell is one of the comp[anies that imports the MOST from the Persian Gulf region, so if you want to NOT buy Persian gulf related gasoline AND put in something that has a higher level of detergent to keep the injectors clean AND you live in the Northeast or specifical Massachusetts you're screwed.

Also...fyi...again the WATERTOWN Lexus service guy was suggesting an alignment at 15k which they charge $139. I explained that was too expensive for an alignment. The advisor went into a sales pitch about the high quality machine they use there, I need to be careful about who to use..look for dirty or rusty machines don't bring a lexus just anywhere..its worth the money to use the dealer. Yeah right. Plus I lease and they own it so when they get it back they can align it without me paying the costs. NOT thrilled witht the hard sell on services.
    Does anyone know if you can request DATA DOTS/anit-theft bracked for the Xenon lights and get it for free if you have NOT recevied a letter from Lexus?
  • mhemhe Member Posts: 7
    I got my RX-330 AWD in May of 2003, and has only 26,000 miles on it. Yet I noticed lately that the tire tread is already worn out, and is about time to replace these Goodyear tires before the winter comes. I drive gently, and am totally surprised that the Goodyear tire can not even last 30,000 miles. Is there something wrong or this is normal? I checked Costco, and they have the Michlin at $174 each.
  • kjoinerkjoiner Member Posts: 2
    Katherine

I was so glad to see your posting. I have "helicopter" noise when I have my back windows open. I didn't know how to describe it until I read your posting. It is when I have any windows down. It hurts my ears too. Did you find any solutions ? I would appretiate any advice you have or have heard. Thanks KJ
  • kjoinerkjoiner Member Posts: 2
    FYI -
    Thought you should know that we are in the same boat as you. My husband who is a mechanic was told by a former Lexus mechanic that Lexus put these JUNKY tires on their cars and EVERYONE ends up replacing them after only 25k miles - like you and I.

for the price of the car you'd HOPE that they would have put a decent tire one the car ! I guess not !
    The only thing that can be done is to improve, radically, the exhauster airflow capacity. The ability to lower the rear window glass ever so slightly would help tremendously.

But I wouldn't suggest anything so radical unless you're also experiencing instances of sudden windshield fogging during the colder weather.

In that case you can buy exhauster vents for the 4runner, etc, and install them in the lower portion of the "C" pillor. That way when the A/C evaporator decides to quickly humidify the cabin the saturated cabin atmosphere will be exhausted much more quickly.
    OK i know this sounds silly BUT....there was either a TSB or i read somewhere that you can get an intermittent CLUNK noise from the tools bin in the back that holds the jack and all of the associated parts. Had this happen once on our '05 rx330 AWD. Check the bin..sure enough the lug wrench had popped loose and was clunking around. I also read somewhere once of people simply using a towel or some material to keep those items from clunking even when they are help in place in the slots each one fits into
    I've never found a solution, which is particularly annoying because I've had a lot of loaner cars from my dealer and none of their moon roofs have had this problem.
    This is one I haven't seen yet.

My '04 rx has developed (another!!!) very annoying rattle, this time in the area of the rear view mirror - eye glass holder. It sounds like loose change rattling, and is especially loud when I go over a bump. So I explored by pressing gently in the region, for example, inside the eye glass holder, and the wind shield wipers activated (I keep them in the automatic mode). Sometimes they activated when I went over a bump - or whenever..... I wasn't always sure if I'd gone over a bump or not. So what's up with that???

The dealer said the "jell pack," the thing that adheres the rear-view mirror to the wind shield (I think) was loose, so they replaced it. Now the noise is back, but of course not when I took it back to the dealer.

Having the wipers activate when the windshield has a layer of whatever has landed on it since the last wash or rain has got to be scratching the heck out of it.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Katherine
  • megan_25megan_25 Member Posts: 1
    Could you please tell me what the problem ended up being with the Check Engine Light and the VSC light? I have the same problem, and the dealership could not tell me the problem; they are keeping my car for a few days now.
    Thanks!
  • lexusautobuyerlexusautobuyer Member Posts: 1
    Sorry..this is not a suggestion...but my experiences too with the headlights.....

I own a Lexus Rx -330 AWD (2005 model) with xenon headlights and I am using this vehicle for the last 4 months.The vehicle is really good and so is the headlights...No big complaints about the ride and luxury.....I live in New Jersey...

BUT its really disappointing to share my experiences and the sleepless nights I am having for the last 2 months..The headlights have been stolen 2 times and I am having a very scary and horrible nights ( sleepless ) after spending a lot on this luxury SUV..

One of the big reason why I went for RX 330 from MDX was the known quality of service and reliabilty of the lexus brand...But now I am totally disappointed...EXPERIENCES MAKES US LEARN....
    Lexus SHOULD notify everyone who has the xenon headlights to do the enhanced security for headlights.....But they didnt do anything. Meanwhile I contacted Lexus after having the 2 thefts and they installed the Data dots and Anti theft brackets which they say may prevent thefts.......It has been done a week back and let us hope thieves may not steal it seeing the Data dots...These datadots wont prevent theft but they just warn the thief....Extra brackets make the thieves job a bit hard, but they can easily take it by doing more damage to the hood....

Read this article : http://www.nysun.com/article/19918

First theft for me - close to 5000 k in damage ( 500k deductible)
    Second theft - close to 6000 k in damage (500k deductible)

I have only this suggestion....

1)No one can prevent thefts happening..My only concern is LEXUS dealers or company should warn the customers in NJ and NY about the potential headlight thefts...

2)Why customers risk their life and peaceful nights by spending 40k for luxury vehicles and every month spend 250-500k for deductibles..I really worry that next time insurance company may not give insurance to my vehicle telling the area is a HIGH RISK AREA....

3)Removing a live electrical power supply system from a advanced MICRO computer controlled vehicle and the Theft alarms just sits DUMB...I cannot believe why this vehicle and the headlights was designed like this...
  • edsidedsid Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up '03 rx300 and was having issues with the air noise as well. Will try lowering a pinch. Thanks for the tip.
    However, took it back in this morning and quoting from the workorder "mirror turbulence normal for this type of mirrors on SUV type vehicles, no other air leaks found"
    Any thoughts on mirror turbulence?
  • dmishkindmishkin Member Posts: 1
    I have been hit twice by thieves in 5 days and am at wits end. I too live in Jersey. I previously ownes a 1999 and a 2001 RX300. Never had any issues. Leased an RX330 over a year ago and 5 days ago the headlights were stolen out of my driveway. I have a BMW x3 and with xenons and the bastards didn't toch it. Lexus dealer gave me a loaner ES300. After 5 days, the bastards struck again and took the headlights from the loaner. Again, didn't touch my BMW. Obviously the Lexus lights are a target for the ease of removal. After owning 3 Lexuses this may be my last. I will never buy another car with xenon headlights.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Sorry about your misfortune. However, if it's any consolation, you are not alone. Take a look at Stolen Headlights!!.

tidester, host
  • sciguy1sciguy1 Member Posts: 10
    I own a 2005 RX 330. On a recent trip we had what could have been a serious problem. I heard a steady humming noise as we drove down the freeway. I couldn't imagine what was making the noise, engine sounded fine and no trouble lights on. I had just started driving on a newly paved section of the freeway, so I assumed it was just the nature of the road. That is until someone passed me and pointed down at my front fender. I pulled over to find that the plastic shielding in the front, left fender well had come loose and was dragging on the road in front of the left front tire! I had to use a small pocket knife to cut it off as best I could. I felt a bit of fear as I wondered what could have happened if that plastic had gotten caught under the front tire. Would it simply have been ripped off as it was pulled under the tire? Could this have suddenly pulled the car to the left, causing the car to flip over?
    The car was taken by my wife to the dealership in Fresno, CA, where we were visiting some friends on our way home. The dealership told her that it must have been our fault! and that somehow we must have caught the plastic shielding on a curb or something! I don't see how we could have damaged the shielding without damaging the fender, since the shielding is up inside the fender, and the fender was definitely not damaged. I am sure we didn't do anything to cause the problem. Fortunately when we returned home the local dealer fixed it without a problem, but I am still shocked at the other dealerships apathy towards us. Not what I'd expect for any car dealership, especially a luxury one!
  • mhemhe Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for the information! I would definitely complain to the dealer next time I have the car in for service. This is disgraceful on Lexus! On the other hand, it gives me hope that the new set of Michelin will last longer, and I do not have to pay $800 every 26,000 miles. Better NOT!!!
  • sciguy1sciguy1 Member Posts: 10
    I've been dissappointed in the tires also. The car is nice and all, but the longer I've had it the more I realize it's just a spruced up Highlander. My sister has a highlander, and I didn't notice much difference in the ride or overall comfort. I have been dissappointed that the tires of the Lexus are wearing out much more quickly than one would expect out of a "luxury" vehicle. :(
    Luxury to me means a nice quiet,soft and smooth ride...

I do not care how long, or not, the Bridgestone Turanzas' tread lasts, just that it's the quietest I can find.
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    Anyone know of any chronic, recurrent problems with the 2006 RX330? I am considering buying and would like to get some info from my peeps. Thanks!