Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• battambangbluebattambangblue Member Posts: 11
    My problem ended up being just the gas cap not being closed tight enough. Might have to drive a couple of times for the light to go off.
    If the light still doesn't go off, it may be something else that needs the dealer to have a look at.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    We are taking our RX in tomorrow for the 30,000 service. Up until now we've pretty much had just oil/filter changes and tire rotations. My wife was quoted $650 which seems very high like a ripoff for what they do. Is this a standard price that Lexus dealers charge nationwide? Our dealer has sort of a monopoly in this area, and I was thinking about maybe checking with the local Toyota dealer to see if they might provide this service and learn what they would charge.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Edmunds Maintenance Guide for what we think it should cost in your zip code.

Some Lexus owners get service work done at Toyota dealers and it's usually cheaper so definitely look into that option.

And you can also just request that they do the manufacturer recommended items instead of some dealer 30k package.

Steve, Host
    Thanks a bunch, Steve. I printed it out and will take it with me to the dealer tomorrow, instead of having my wife just drop the car off. The recommended service total came to $159.75 instead of the $650 she was quoted. The key will be finding out what additional services are being added in by the dealer and judging if they are needed (I doubt it). If we can stay close to the $160 it will be acceptable.
    It might help to take some donuts in too. :-)

Steve, Host
  • catblackcatblack Member Posts: 1
    I have a friend who just called saying her 330 gascap says use premium fuel only! I have an 04 330 and it does not say premium fuel on the cap. Was there a change for 05 or 06 that I don't know about? Thanks for any input you can supply!
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I believe that's the standard Lexus charge for the 30K maintenance because that's exactly what my dealer told me in Virginia. I don't believe any dealer would do it for less than that other than maybe taking 10% off (big deal!). I'd do exactly what Steve recommended and have it done at some other place. Many of the reputable shops these days have the same equipment to do the job right.
    Exactly the same cost? That sounds a bit like price-fixing ... maybe it's the same dealer chain.

Many of the reputable shops these days have the same equipment to do the job right.

This is getting to be more of a problem unfortunately. The gotcha with having another shop do the work is that some of the software codes are proprietary, and many independents can't get their hands on all the diagnostic information and tools (or can't afford to). Going to a Toyota dealer should eliminate some of that problem.

Steve, Host
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I'm not surprised that the prices are identical, Steve, because they go by the book rate. Also I hear what you're saying about "software codes" etc., but we are talking about routine maintenance, not repair!
    Yeah, but I thought the rate books were tweaked by region too, like our maintenance guide is. I doubt that mechanics here in Boise get as much as ones in Santa Monica.

Steve, Host
  • swee7bebeswee7bebe Member Posts: 3
    omg...where in jersey do you live? i just got my rx330 today...and after reading your posts, i'm nervous about leaving my car in the parking lot of my apartment.
  • mikenjmikenj Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone put metal tube guards on the fron and/or back and if you did how did it affect the ride quality?
  • joe85joe85 Member Posts: 2
    we have had our 2005 LExus rx330 for six months and it has been in the shop for o60-90 days for the same problem. continues to blow a fuse and they have no answer. the latest attempt is to replace two different electrical bundles (i am sure there is a real name for this but I can't remember what they called it) this last itme it has been in for more than 30 days. We are asking Lexus to take the car back and want to know from you out there if this is common or should we try another rx330? I appreciate your help and info!

-joe
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    Not a pro or an RX owner (yet), but that sounds to me to be a problem with your specific vehicle. I have not really seen other people on this board comment on a similar problem, so it may not be a problem with RX vehicles across the board.

Make Lexus give you all your money back (including taxes, fees and interest charges) or a new 2006 model similarly equipped or even with more features, because you certainly have a strong Lemon Law claim for which you can get counsel with no legal costs out of pocket.
  • joe85joe85 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for your advice, you mention getting free legal counsel and making Lexus give me a new car..Won't I have to pay for the miles I have already driven? Thanks again for your help,

-kenny
    Kenny, state lemon laws typically provide for the manufacturer of the defective vehicle to pay for the buyer's legal fees in a dispute that results in a buyer favorable outcome. Due to that, there are many lemon law firms that take cases on a no-cost basis, knowing they will be reimbursed by the manufacturer. Of course, they will only take a claim if it is strong, since they won't recover their fees otherwise. Depending on the applicable state's lemon law statute, you may qualify either (i) given the number of attempts they have made to correct substantially the same problem, or (ii) given the number of cumulative days your vehicle is out of service. What state did you buy the vehicle and in what state is it registered? Both of those states laws may help you. And you are right, some state laws subtract out a certain amount of the recovery based on the mileage, but others provide the mileage needs to be above a certain base amount. First step is to begin talks with Lexus to amicably resolve this, without threatening lemon law action. I have sought lemon law advice in the past, and have been successful without actually suing. If you want to discuss more, please post your email.
    If you would like your address available to other registered members, click on Preferences' and mark your email address 'public'. That'll keep nefarious folks from collecting it.

Better still, just talk on the forum so everyone can benefit.

Other posters around Edmunds have noted that some states let you skip the lemon laws and sue under a warranty theory.

Steve, Host
    Thanks Steve_!
  • lola1234lola1234 Member Posts: 7
    HI,

RECOMMEND TO BUY THE RX, WONDERFUL CAR. I HAD THE MDX(2003) TO MANY PROBLEMS...ALSO THE RX IS BETTER QUALITY IN AND OUT. BEST COLORS WHITE OR FLINT MICA WITH LIGHT GRAY INTERIOR. ENJOY!!!
  • bsaltzbsaltz Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

It looks as if we are having the same problem. My wife has complained that the road noise on her 2004 Lexus RX330 was bothersome. We have AWD and Goodyear 18" tires. The car has only 20,000 miles and I replaced the Goodyear tires with new Michelins. It didn't solve the tire noise. The car is quiet, except when you go above 35 to 40 miles, then you hear the tire noise. Did you find a solution to this problem?

Thanks...
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    18" tires, as opposed to 16" or even 17", will not have as much "give" in the sidewalls to absorb roadbed vibrations. You might want to try 16x8" wheels with Bridgestone Turanzas, summer, NOT all-season. I run 17X8" on my 2001 AWD RX300 and am quite pleased with the low noise levels at speed.

Snow chains are my quick and only answer to wintertime roadbed conditions.
  • bsaltzbsaltz Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip, however, I just bought the Michelins and I'm not willing to spend additional dollars on tires. I was just trying to find out if there was a dealer fix under warranty.
  • volvonewbievolvonewbie Member Posts: 2
    With great joy i have finally sold my rx330. to put it in a nutshell this so called luxury vehicle was the biggest dud i have ever owned!! faulty transmission that was never resolved, goodyears that wore out after 20,000 miles, worry that the xenon headlights could be easily stolen not to mention $300/hour labor charges by the local lexus dealership. i replaced the goodyears with michelins and the road noise increased by 20% and i was not about to spend another $900 for a different set of tires! this car is a bust. the "pursuit of perfection"..NOT. anybody looking for a luxury suv should stop by the local BMW dealer. you know you are in trouble when the people who work at the local lexus dealership drive BMW's!
  • fsunfsun Member Posts: 1
    I'm a potential RX330 owner. Are there any known issues with this car I should be aware of?

thanks
    James Cambece
    yes.
  • greergardensgreergardens Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with the rear door opening when the car was in reverse? When my wife was backing up, the door suddenly opened hitting a post that was a couple of feet behind the car. Of course the dealer never heard of such a thing. Right after it happened the doors would not lock automatically when you put the car in reverse or drive. Also there is a problem when you need to suddenly pick up speed. The car seems to stall. And the tires are wearing out at 15,000 while my two previous RX300 still had good tires when I traded them off at 45,000 miles. :lemon:
    Almost 30,000 miles on our RX330 (early build from Japan) and the car has been trouble free, except for one issue that I can't blame Lexus for. When we special ordered our car and then after having waited for over 2 months, it came without seat heaters. Everything else was perfect. The seat heaters were important, since we're in Minnesota [ :surprise: ] so rather than reject it and wait again we took the dealer up on their offer to have them custom installed by a shop they use for this sort of thing. Well wouldn't you know they recently stopped working, so we had to have them repaired (under warranty). Other than that, the car's been perfect.
  • luapluap Member Posts: 21
    Too many to list here. Read through the forum messages. I think Lexus is loosing it - too bad!!!!!!!
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    One persons opinion isn't a valid sampling.
    A few petty gripes in a forum like this don't mean squat.
    If Lexus is losing it, then how come Lexus is still at the top of the heap in everyone else's surveys?

TOP-RANKED MODELS
    J.D. POWER 2005 'APPEAL' STUDY

Full-Size Car
    Highest Ranked Model: Toyota Avalon
    1st runner-up: Ford Five Hundred
    2nd runner-up: Mercury Montego (not sold in Canada)

Entry-Luxury Car
    Highest Ranked Models (tie): Lexus IS 300 / IS 300 SportCross
    Highest Ranked Models (tie): Mercedes-Benz C-Class
    Runner-up: Chrysler 300

Mid-Luxury Car
    Highest Ranked Model: Lexus GS 300 & GS 430
    1st runner-up: Infiniti M35-M45
    2nd runner-up: Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Premium Luxury Car
    Highest Ranked Model: Lexus LS 430
    1st runner-up: Jaguar XJ
    2nd runner-up: BMW 7-Series

Entry-Luxury Sport-Utility
    Highest Ranked Model: Lexus RX 400h
    (The RX 400h joins the current RX 330 as the top model level of the RX line-up of midsize luxury SUVs)

Source: J.D. Power and Associates
  • gingerbreadgingerbread Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum. Have an Audi A4 which I'm ready to move on to a small SUV.

Those who are having problems with the RX330 I am truly sorry to hear that.

I am totally into the looks and the size of the RX300 for years and now to the RX330.

Reading about the problems (hesitation problem in particular), we were wondering if the RX330 owners had to do it again, would you buy the RX330? Or would you buy something else? (I don't know, X5 or MDX or something?)

Thank you in advance.
    Absolutely - it's been everything we thought it would be.

'04 - 30M miles
    If the hesitation problem isn't fixed when the new RX is introduced in the spring I'm looking seriously at the X3.
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    I had an 01 RX 300 and then bought 05 RX 330 this year. Would have no other SUV. I respect Willards thoughts on the hesitation problem but think that has been blown all out of proportion on this forum. I never considered that problem to be a big deal on my RX 330 but took it into the dealership and had them install the fix. It works just fine. I suppose that if you were to be in a drag race with the RX that slight hesitation might be problem but I am still looking for the guy who drag races with this car. There are those times when I enter the the interstate from the ON ramp when I wish I had greater acceleration but that is just a basic problem with an engine that is not designed for blazing acceleration---a problem I suspect with just about any SUV. By the way, I drove the MDX prior to buying my 01 RX 300 and never again considered it after a test drive in the RX. Buy the RX 330--you'll never regret it. Give yourself a great Xmas present. And Merry Christmas.
  • ptrsnptrsn Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a '05 RX330 and am wondering, any of you with the Nav/On board Computer system, the most fuel I can get into the fuel tank after the low fuel light has been on for a while and the on board computer shows "zero" miles remaining with present fuel supply 16.6 gallons. The owners manual says the 2005 Lexus RX330 holds 19 US gallons, where are the remaining 2.4 gallons? I've checked with Lexus Customer Satisfaction Website and also with a service rep at Lexus of Orlando and nobody can come up with a reasonable answer. Can't this computer be calibrated to acknowledge 19 gallons??? Anybody got any ideas???
  • jfzjfz Member Posts: 45
    Your 2.4 gallon residual when the light comes on is very close to our RX330. By comparison, my LS430 light comes on with 70 miles on the range. Its residual is well under 2 gallons. In other words, the stated range farther than it would actually go on a tank of fuel.

Personnally, I like the built-in safety of 2.4 gallons. The gauge can be affected by the weight of the load. Also low fuel levels can cause problems with fuel tank condensation and contamination, and fuel pump cooling and operation.
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Good to hear your how you handled this, the dealer installed the fix and you are very satisfied.

My neighbor is on his second new BMW X5 and has had some problems like oil puddles on his garage floor. It does not concern him, he prefers the BMW over anything else regardless of problems. I also tested the MDX, nice vehicle but IMO not up to the quality and feel of the RX.

So....
    My wife's RX arrives next week and now she wants a big red bow for it so this will be Merry Christmas a couple of weeks early.
    And this is the link for anyone that wants to wrap the RX with a big bow for a Christmas gift this year. $48.00 plus shipping.

www.kingsizebows.com

http://www.kingsizebows.com/
  • md52md52 Member Posts: 20
    I have an 04RX330 and have had all of the problems listed in this site; hesitation that is yet to be resolved, numerous rattles and squeaks that are annoying, thump during decell that was fixed, but the only way Lexus would apply the TSB for this one was by me pressuring them.
    Its not a bad SUV, I just dont think its worth the money. It all comes down to Cost vs. product. For this price, I didnt expect to have to make as many trips to the service dept. After all, it isnt the public that claims that Lexus is in persuit of perfection, Lexus does!
    I'm hoping that the Toyota build quality claim will carry through.
  • md52md52 Member Posts: 20
    ...I forgot to mention the road and wind noise..it's terrible. I certaintly did not expect this much noise. I have driven the GX SUV and it is much quieter, as are the Lexus cars. What happened to the RX??..persuit of perfection?
    It's too bad the RX hasn't met your expectations. I do think the vast majority of RX owners are very happy with their choice, and the problems that some have encountered are more the exception than the norm.

If I felt the same way you did I certainly would sell it and just move on, even if I had to take somewhat of a financial hit. In this price range it's more important to be happy with what you're driving than worry about a few thousand dollars. Why get a headache every time you get in the car, if that's the situation. Compared to most your RX shouldn't have depreciated too badly, and its value should give you a healthy downpayment on a GX, or whatever else you'd be happier with.

Just my 2 cents...
    Headline in the Business section of Florida Today Dec. 11, 2005 reads: "Toyota's recall rate doubles" Company's rapid development might be reason for increase.

I finally got rid of my 2004 RX330 (15,000 miles), which caused me more aggravation than I expected from Lexus (Toyota). Here's a summary of the problems I had with the Canadian made RX330: windshield creaked because it was not sealed properly (first day driving home from the dealer - replaced the windshield), rain sensor gasket cracked (replaced), tremendous window noise from driver and passenger doors (replaced both weather strips at the windows), whistle noise from A/C air intake (hose too long and crimped), right HID light had condensation and leaked (replaced), A/C groan at 1100 RPM (never resolved after many tries and replacing 2 compressors), A/C condensation leaked into the passenger side, excessive road tire noise, and replaced brake booster (recall).
    HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!
  • washingtonianwashingtonian Member Posts: 10
    I bought the RX 2006 and was wondering what type of gas are people using in this SUV. Regular unleaded or Premium unleaded. Lexus is recommending using Premium in this SUV.
    Usually put in mid-grade - 89 to 91
  • junior5junior5 Member Posts: 15
    Six months ago I was in the same boat as you are now. I had my heart set on an RX330 (because who doesn't dream of owning a "Lexus")and the first thing I did was to go through this problem and solutions forum. If you truly go through all the messages, I don't think you will feel comfortable paying a big sum of money for a vehicle that has too many documented and potential problems. I just could not live with that possibility and the hesitation which I noticed on my test drive. Eventually, I ended up buying an 05 MDX, loaded to the gills at invoice pricing. It has been 10,000 miles since and NO problems and NO regrets and I am happy with this technically well built SUV. For 40 grand, I think we all deserve to be completely happy with what we get. ;)
    Good choice - while staying in that size range. Dreaming of owning a "Lexus" has brought a lot of customers. At the dealer last week, they must have brought in 30 - 40 RX330's. At these production rates, no wonder there are problems. At under $40,000, almost everybody can now "Own a Lexus".
    Enjoy the MDX!!
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    If Lexus is losing it, then how come Lexus is still at the top of the heap in everyone else's surveys?

Are you kidding??

When you fly high, it does take a while to fall to the ground. And Lexus is falling! :lemon:
    Has anyone every heard of the phrase 'DEAD CAR' ?

That is the term the sales manager at my South Jersey Lexus dealership used regarding my wife's factory ordered RX. We ordered November 8th, was built the 28th, was due to be delivered last Monday Dec. 12th. This afternoon we get the news our new RX is a DEAD CAR and will be bought back by Lexus. Apparently it is dead due to an electrical problem that the port cannot fix. It had to have started at the factory for shipment? Sure glad it did not die after we purchased it !!

Possible good news... Before the dealer called with the bad news he had located a same color same package RX at a dealer about 200 miles south. This is a RX that someone factory ordered and decided not to purchase after it arrived. It has the Levinson - Navigation package, wonder why the order was canceled?? The manager advised it only has14 miles on the odometer so that is not a concern but I will go over this vehicle when it arrives and reserve the right to refuse if I find anything of concern.

I have the serial number of this DEAD CAR, it was given to me 3 weeks ago once the car was in shipment. Because of the timing (Christmas gift) I may contact Lexus about this incident giving them the serial number and ask them if electrical problems 'DEAD CAR' happens on occasion. Things happen...

Overall we are very satisfied with our dealership. They have been very helpful from factory ordering to keeping us informed about the delivery process. but ...... the shipping company has had the vehicle for almost 3 weeks, why the delay in contacting the dealership? Things happen.

Comments appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    "Dead car" usually refers to one that won't start as in Dead Car Battery Blues. Funny, but I also hit Grateful Dead Car Emblems when I did a Google! :)

tidester, host
  • triflintriflin Member Posts: 4
    I own an '04 RX330 and I just turned over 35K miles in less than 2 years!

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago, I filled my tank with gas but the gas gauge didn't move off "Empty". I went to a second gas station just to make sure my tank was full, and it was. About 10 minutes later, when I parked on an incline, the gas gauge then registered "Full". What I didn't notice at the time, was that my interior lights no longer worked.

I took the car to the dealer to get the interior lights fixed, told them about the gas gauge which they couldn't check because my tank was still full of gas. They chastised me and said the fuse blew for the interior lights because I had cell phone chargers plugged into both outlets up front; they said the cigarette lighter should not be used to charge a cell phone.

Fast forward to today, my interiors lights are not working and my high-beam indicator is not working. This came when I again filled the car with gas, and the gas hand not moving off "Empty" until the car was put on an incline. I have not charged a cell phone in the cigarette lighter although I have used the outlet below to charge phones.

On top of that, I was vaccuuming out my car, on the passenger side, underneath the carpet mat, I saw a quarter-sized dark gray "stuff" on my carpet. When I picked up and turned the mat over, I noticed that it had MELTED onto the carpet beneath it. It is making me wonder if there is something extremely hot in that general area, hot enough to melt the carpet mats. Has anyone experienced this? I have an appointment on Tuesday to get this car looked at.

If I can't trust my instrument panel (and my car could potentially be overheating), that would not sit well with me!

Baffled in North Carolina
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    I am amid the "study" phase prior to purchase. I own a 2001 Totota Highlander, with which I am very happy, and presumed the Lexus would be the next purchase for us. Reading this forum causes me to have dounts. I phoned a trusted friend with a 2003, and he said he doubted the Lexus is the quality vehicle he expected.

Realizing the "Problem & Solution" forum is where most of the faults will be revealed, I am interested in opinions. Are some of you enjoying problem free ownership experiences?