Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 330 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hunterjo1hunterjo1 Member Posts: 1
    About a month before the warranty was up on our vehicle the air suspension malfunctioned on our 2004 Lexus RX330...Just went out to the garage one day and it was higher on one side than the other...Anyway, the dealership fixed it otherwise we would have had to pay $3000.00 for the pleasure...I've read of one other person that had this problem so perhaps it was just a fluke...Hope so...because we'd like to keep the vehicle as it really hasn't given us any other trouble...
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Hey Hunter,

Sorry about your trouble with the air susp, but glad to hear you had it taken care of... This is a good reminder that everyone can go over their vehicle completely before the warantee expires and get anything fixed. Lexus replaced my tranny right before the odometer rolled over to 70,000.

Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts about the handling on your model with the "sport" air suspension. Had you driven both before deciding on this one?

Are you in CA?
  • brilliantblondbrilliantblond Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. My husband bought our RX 330 new in 2004, so it is no longer under warrenty. We took a roadtrip from LA to Dallas and upon arriving in Dallas realized our trim on the right side was missing. Halfway home to LA, the left trim took flight. I called our local Lexus dealership and the guy in parts told me I needed to have both windows replaced. I hope someone posts an answer to this porblem! I called Corporate and haven't received a callback!
  • dallasman1dallasman1 Member Posts: 4
    1 plantation- hopefully you're still around. I think I may have this same mild grinding/knocking/rubbing problem. I always feel it in the steering wheel when I'm taking off from a stop as the body is torqueing backwards (I am now starting to feel it also when torqueing foward when braking). Does this sound similar to what you had and were able to fix with the new U bolt. I've taken it to the dealership once already, and all they did if fiddle with the motor mounts and said they had minimized the issue. However, I am still having the same issue. I was hoping to be able to point then in the right direction next time I get it serviced. Thanks!
    janb1- hopefully you're still around. I think I may have this same mild groaning/knocking/rubbing problem with the steering colomn. Did you ever figure what the issus was?I always feel it in the steering wheel when I'm taking off from a stop as the body is torqueing backwards (I am now starting to feel it also when torqueing foward when braking). Does this sound similar to what you had and were able to fix with the new U bolt. I've taken it to the dealership once already, and all they did if fiddle with the motor mounts and said they had minimized the issue. However, I am still having the same issue. I was hoping to be able to point then in the right direction next time I get it serviced. Thanks!
  • coyeracoyera Member Posts: 1
    Dear Hunterjo1, I have now a problem with my RX 330 2004 Air suspension, the light in the dashboard to put the system off starter blinking on and off for few days.
    I finally took the car to the dealer, to find out the compressor is bad, no very clear explanation of what happened and my warranty expired in May of this year, repair estimate about 2K USD. I would like to know if others have had similar problems. My car has 28K miles on it and it has had a few other problems, including having to replace all tires with only 25k miles on them. Very dissapointed with the Lexus brand.
  • toy188toy188 Member Posts: 2
    It is common that the joint of rubber boot and steering column (inside the car up near the gas pedal) has caused the noise when you turn the steering wheel far left or right. The harmless and common solution is to spray silicon grease around the joint then turn the wheel for a few time until you don't hear the same noise. Best use silicon grease, which is good for rubber parts.
    Will give it a shot. Thanks!
  • lon7lon7 Member Posts: 7
    I have 60K miles on my RX330 and just this past month I noticed a rattle coming from the back of the car. I checked it out and found it to be the cover on the spare tire carrier under tha rear of the car. I am going in for service very soon and will see if the dealer has any info on the problem. A simple gasket to keep it from vibrating would fix the problem.
  • hmn8hmn8 Member Posts: 4
    To: ckanesthesia

How did you manage to get Lexus to replace the RX tranny? Did they ask for service records? What is the name/ location of the dealer who took care of it? I know that it was still under drivetrain warranty but I've read that Lexus does everything they can to avoid replacing it and putting the blame on the customer. I too have an 04 RX330 with the whining noise around 75mph. I have 48500 miles. My problem is I bought it used (clean title) from a small non Lexus exclusive dealer and I don't have any service records. I do know based on carfax that it was previously a leased car from a Lexus dealer. If anybody have any suggestions pls reply. Thanks
  • jyjjyj Member Posts: 1
    Hi. am wanting input on buying a 2004 Lexus RX 330 for my wife. The car looks and drives good but am leary about the high miles. It has 110xxx mostly highway miles. If maintained properly what can I expect to get out of this car or should I pass on it.? Thanks JYJ
    It's not likely you found a 1994 model. The first year for RX was 1999, starting in 1998. Those were RX300's. Redesigned for 2004 they were called RX330. The first year models (1999 or 2004) had a few quirks, but were generally good cars when well maintained with a few exceptions.

The 1999-2001 models came with "under designed" transmissions (compared to the expectations of buying an expensive automobile with a rep for durability). Many but not all of those transmissions were replaced with more modern designed units, many times Lexus paid for it under warrantee. 1999-2000 also had some models show up with engine oil-gelling, although the problem did not seem to be prevelant in models that were well maintained, and perhaps city/low mileage/extended idling played a significant role. Those issues were not common in later models at all. 2004 had a completely modern drivetrain, but suffered from a few rattles and windshield issues during the first model run, from what I've understood on this forum.

Usually RX's with high highway mileage make the best used car buys for a couple reasons. I'd steer clear of models with low mileage because they tend to have more problems and the higher perceived resale value means you aren't really getting a great "deal" by looking for a low-mileage model. For some, extended idling and/or short trips seemed to leave a pattern of poor durability.

Make sure you have records of maintainence, there wasn't a lot of city "stop and go" (sounds like you already recognized that) and keep the engine oil and specifically transmission service more often than the manual recommends. And of course, bargain the price down because of the mileage. Eventually, you will need to repair something on a used car. Make sure you budget for it, then the likelihood of a satisfying experience will be on your side, and you have a good used car buy.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    How does one tell the miles were mostly highway miles?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Google for:

hesitation abolition delay

ALL Toyota FWD and F/AWD vehicles with E-throttles, DBW (Drive By Wire), will oftentimes exhibit a downshift delay of 1-2 seconds, sometimes in quite DIRE situations.
    A few easy indicators that the vehicle was used for "highway" miles I've used are:

Lack of wear on the edges of the seats (where you slide in and out), door panels, brake pedal, "door dings", etc. The type of brake wear may also help verify a sellers claim.

These are just some indicators I know of... Does anyone have other ideas?
  • lon7lon7 Member Posts: 7
    This rattle was so annoying that I could no longer stand it so I really went all out to find it and low and behold I finally found what it was. It was not the spare tire holder but the holder was lose so I tightened it and the rattle continued. I finally found that it was a small piece of rubber guard in front of the right rear wheel well that is held in place by two screws. Some how it came lose and was rattling. I tightened the two screws and the rattling is gone. Surprising how such a small item can cause so much noise.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    We will be picking up a used one owner RX330 AWD with 35K miles from a private owner in a few days for my wife.

Any pointers any one can give me about what to watch for, and what goes wrong with 2004 RX330 will be appreciated. My wife did have a 2001 RX300 that we sold for a 2008 Accord EX, now we are back to Lexus again.

The RX300 oil filter was in a tough spot to get to, didn't Lexus/Toyota go to a vertical position for the oil filter with the 3.3L engine? Are there any issues with RX330 AWD system? Does it use 87 or 91 octane gas?

Thanks,
    Joe
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nothing specific to the RX330, but there's a laundry list of stuff to ponder in the Used Car Buying Checklist.
    Steve,

I have looked at used cars for years. I have pretty good idea what to stay away from and what is a good buy. I can tell a clean car from a car that scrubbed for sale. So far so good

My specific question was to RX330 owners, people that own these and know ins and outs. I was not looking for a check list.

Joe
    Gotcha.

fwiw, I haven't heard of any recurring issues with Toyota/Lexus since the gel days, and that didn't affect the V6 in the RX's. You may want to track down Kdhspyder too; he's at a dealership and keeps track of issues and talks straight. You can find him at the Toyota Prius discussions lately.
    While there are many very sound reasons for the RX330 series to have adopted DBW, E-throttle, the primary one seems to be that is was to "protect" the drive train.

When the RX was in the design stages they had to find a way to "beef-up" the Camry transaxle so it could be used in a heavier vehicle AND have decent towing capacity. As you may have noted there is not a lot of spare space left over in the engine compartment for a sideways mounted engine and transaxle and now with the RX a center diff'l and PTO, Power Take Off.

So something HAD to go/give.

So the traditional ATF gear type pump with fixed spring pressure relief/regulator and pressure holding accumulator was abandoned in favor of real time pressure control used a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) electric solenoid. Substantial space/weight saving plus significant improved FE.

But there proved to be a "hitch" in the "get-a-long".

If the engine happened to be at idle, no substantial ATF pump flow capacity, and the real time ATF pressure control suddenly called for high pressure it simply could NOT happen.

A few of the conditions under which that would soon prove to happen are spelled out quite clearly in a TSB issued for the '92 Camry in the spring of '93.

Toyota, CLEARLY, did not foresee those happenings.

So the '99 and '00 RX300's had horribly premature transaxle, 70-80,000 miles, failures as a result.

By the time the '01 RX300 rolled off the production line Toyota had recognized the problem and came up with a quick, and what proved to be a "dirty" fix. They reprogrammed the Real time pressure control solenoid to sustain the ATF pressure for longer durations. When I purchased my '01 AWD RX300 it came with the towing package which includes an external ATF oil cooler.

But even that, apparently, was not enough to provide the extra cooling my ATF required due to the extra ATF pumping capacity required under the new pressure control design.

At ~40,000 miles the ATF in my transaxle looked dirty and smelled burned so I did a drain and fill, twice.

It turned out that while the owners manual had no requirement of ATF scheduled maintenance for the life of the vehicle, Lexus (actually LEXUS, not just the dealer) was now recommending ATF FLUSH and refill every 15,000 miles.

So as of the RX330 DBW was used to allow the original ATF pressure control firmware to be used by still have a transaxle and ATF life within reason.

As a result the driver of RX330 and RX350 might encounter a downshift delay of 1-2 seconds in the conditions, sometime DIRE circumstances, defined in the Camry TSB.

And I would advise you to Google for..

wwest "two-layer" defrost/defog/demist

The entire Toyota/lexus product line is subject to instances of sudden windshield fogging, sometimes fogging so complete that all forward visibility is lost, as a result of thoughtless design on the part of NipponDenso, Denso US.

Not to mention the problems of "dirty gym socks" odor emanating from the HVAC system.
    "RX330 AWD.."

A bit of a strange BEAST, that one.

The RX3X0 series is, and will likely always be, primarily a FWD vehicle, best referred to as F/AWD. The earlier AWD RX300's has a VC, Viscous Clutch, mounted across the center differential that would provide some moderate level of "locking" of the center differential. By the time the '01 rolled off the produstion line Lexus had added VSC and TC, Traction Control.

The adoption of TC made the VC virtually useless so as of the '01 the VC fluid was reformulated to remain flaccid except for extreme (read "NEVER" happens..!!) cases. Instead TC is used to brake, moderately, any wheel that develops wheelspin/slip due to engine torque and thereby sustain and redistribute, hopefully, torque to wheels remaining with traction. Due to other considerations, the possibility of brake components, rotor and pads, overheating, not to mention the potential for loss of control being EXTREME otherwise, the engine is also instant dethrottled. For the RX300 series fuel starvation using EFI was adopted.

The RX330 series abandoned the use of the VC entirely.

So many customers voiced dissatisfaction with this "braking" technique to implement the RXes F/AWD system that newer models have the ability to disable TC...and subsequently...VSC, in order to "escape" from the many common instances wherein the TC F/AWD braking technique has proved to be inadequate.

There is word that the 2010 RX series will be getting an entirely new AWD design, hopefully we will be able to refer to the new one as R/AWD.
    Thank you for your comments. I had a 96 Camry XLE V-6 auto. I drained the transmission fluid every other year using the pan drain plug. I did the same with our 2001 RX300 FWD. Never had transmission issues. I never pull anything with these FWD transmissons anyway. For towing, I use my 2003 Explorer.

I know the AWD in a FWD lay out design is kind of useless. I much rather get a FWD RX330, but this one appears to be an excellen used RX so I will take the AWD part.

My biggest complaint with our RX300 was its lousy turning circle.

Do you know if the oil filter mount is changed to vertical position or is still horizontal like it was in the 3.0L engine?

Joe

Joe
    Personally, I love and treasure my wife too much to trust her to ANY FWD or most F/AWD (SH-AWD system being the sole exception) vehicles during the winter months. I consider the RX series to be the worse of the bunch.

1. The transaxle downshift delay can occur, unpredictably occur, in the worse of circumstances, potentially putting everyone's life at risk.

2. Same goes for the sudden windshield fogging.

3. The TC braking method is not adequate, CLEARLY not adequate, to provide truly functional F/AWD capability in many common wintertime circumstances.

4. Even the RX owners manual will advise you that a higher traction level at the front vs the rear can too quickly lead to an accident due to loss of directional control. Yet for the RX tire chains or cable chains are to be used ONLY at the front. Absent modification no traction devices can be used at the rear due to the low clearance between the rear tires and suspension components.

My '01 AWD RX300 has 1.5" wheel spacers all around so I can use rear chains FIRST, and then add the front chains only if required.

For my '01 there were two (maybe three for the newer RX330 series) c-best options that the dealer can set to help alleviate the problem of sudden windshield fogging.
    The 2004 RX we picked up has slight moisture in passenger side headlight. It appears that the moisture amount varies with outside temp. Anyway, it is not normal nor acceptable. The RX has 36K miles but it is four months over its 4 year warranty.

When I took it to my local Lexus dealer, he said it costs $1488 to replace it. I never liked the HID just for their replacement bulb/headlight cost. I stayed away from these when I was looking for my 2001 E430. With RX330, there are a lot more out there with 18" wheels/HID headlight than with 17"/halogen headlights.

Has anyone had similar problem with 2004 HID headlight moisture? This one was built 6/2004.

Does Lexus have any kind of good will gesture on these expensive headlights after their warranty runs out.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • modfathermodfather Member Posts: 6
    Yes, ours (2005) just started doing the same thing and it's funny (or not so funny :mad: ) you should comment how expensive it is to replace the lights -- that same thought went through my mind. Ours is just out of the 3 yr. warranty (it's 3, not 4, right?). I'll take to the dealer anyway and see if it's covered somehow.

The only thing I think they may say is that it is caused by someone backing into us and causing gasket to fail -- allow moisture in.

Best of luck with yours.

Tom
    NO. Lexus warranty is 4 years 50K miles. You should be good with your warranty.

Take it to the dealer right way.........
    Since many owners upgrade to the HID headlamps after purchase there appears to be a "surplus" of the normal halogen headlight assemblies on Ebay...

On the other hand if your vehicle sat outside on a lot unused for a period of time the accumulated moisture may go away with a few weeks of regular use of the headlamps. The resulting heating/cooling cycles will tend to "pump" the moisture out of the assembly.
    I need some links or website that can show me how to go to halogen headlight from HID. I don't know how that works since the connectors going to ballast is different and even if i am able to find the right connector for halogen low beam bulb, I am not sure what kind of current is coming to the connections.

I have thought about taking the high beam and side marker and parking lights out and run a hairdryer through the high beam opening. For close to $1500, I will look at any option here.

Joe
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Our 04 rx330 also had moisture inside the rt front headlight. Fortunately they replaced it on warranty. We had 32 k on the car.

I got rid of my rx because I got tired of the warranty work due to various problems: rattle on dash under speaker, plastic around the outside window flying off while I was driving, mulitiple computer chip malfunction, headlight stuff, and I read here about the rx300 transmission guck that Lexus put out a bulletin about it. I guess owners were beginning to replace their trannys about 60-80k at what the people here wrote, $ 6000-8000.

We have had five Toyota brand cars and about 4 hondas, and now 3 Acuras. Never until Lexus did we ever had a big repair, and indeed just tune ups and that was it.

Finally, the future cost of maintenance at where we live, currently $ 200 an hour, was not worth to keep.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad

:)
  • donsfandonsfan Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2005 RX330 - dealer said moisture inside headlight not covered by warranty - getting steadily worse.
    This is odd as the moisture inside the right headlight is constant water now and water droplets are not going away. The entire front bottom part of the headlight is yellowing.. The driver side is fine and does not show any sign of issues.

I don't understand how the dealer can say warranty does not cover it. The problem WILL go away with a new headlight assembly. How can they claim that this is not covered under warranty. Go around the dealer and write to Lexus with photos of your problem. I can send you photos of my headlight to show them how bad it will get when your warranty runs out.

Joe
  • donsfandonsfan Member Posts: 3
    Please send photo - suspect I am getting the run around from dealer.
    I can send you photos

Please park your photos on your CarSpace page in the Photo Album there. Then they'll be available for anyone to see in the coming months and years. Thanks Joe!
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I believe the dealer is lying to you. Lexus service reps always went out of their way to do the warranty work and never did I have a complaint. As long as your vehicle is still under warranty, i.e. 48 months and mileage, your next step may be to contact the area rep for Lexus.

The only other time we had a problem with a dealer with warranty or the last time, not under warranty , was the overcharge of my wife when she took her Pilot in for service. I caught them inflating the bill and complaned. They sent us a check for the overbilling. We stopped servicing our Pilot there at the Honda dealer and found another less dishonest dealer.

Also. The right headlight on our RX 330 was also our problem and they fixed it without any b.s.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • modfathermodfather Member Posts: 6
    It's my passenger side headlight too with moisture. Is this a common problem and coincidence that's it the passenger side headlight assembly?

I'll call my dealer this week and let you know what they say.
    Does anyone know or has a link to a site that shows how to remove the headlight.

I removed the wheel, removed the fender liner, removed the bolt that holds the side of the headlight, removed two obvious bolts that holds the top portion, and removed the bolt that supports the bottom. In total I remove four bolts.

On the replacement headlight I see four mounting holes, The headlight is loose but I have heck of a time sliding it out, or pull up and slide, tilt to the side and out

I have removed several headlights before. None has been as puzzling as this one.

Joe
  • amchugh371amchugh371 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

My 2006 RX330 battery with 35K miles on it is dead. Does anyone know if it's covered under the warranty? The electronics on the dash went crazy before it went dead, so I'm wondering if it's an electrical issue?

Thanks
    Batteried sometimes die for no reason. Being a 2006 and 36K miles, go to your dealer and have them check the electrical system to make sure nothing is making the battery go dead and have them replace the battery.

Batteries are always covered under warranty.
  • domer1domer1 Member Posts: 5
    Battery in our '04 RX went dead after 2 years. Probably from lack of use since vehicle only had 12,000 miles on it. Anyway, dealer sent a service vehicle, took the car, replaced the battery under warranty (to my surprise), returned the car all washed, too! Probably felt guilty after all the failed attempts to fix the noisy dashboard and window mouldings blowing off.
    Does anyone know where to get a new wheel other than the dealer that's cheaper??

Thanks.
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    I had to replace a wheel on my '05 RX 330 after I hit a curb. My local Les Schwab service location got a used wheel at somewhat less than the dealer price for a new one. I would think that other tire stores ( Discount Tire, Big O Tires, etc.) could do the same.
    Ebay.com
  • mevander1mevander1 Member Posts: 43
    Hello all,
    A local dealer has a a super clean 2001 RX300 for sale at $9,995.00. It has been serviced by the local Lexus dealer and he indicated all records are available. I am a little hesitant after reading of all the problems shared in this forum from being an unafe 4WD vehicle from one person to misting problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
    Keep in mind you are reading a forum where most people who post have complaints and that's what they are posting about. The majority of people with positive experiences and comments don't generally post.

Only one person I know of considers the RX to be unsafe like you said. Not to speak for him but as I understand it from his posts on this forum, he apparently prefers a car with more rear-wheel bias and he warns of misting "problems". The misting issue is easily avoided by the simple press of a button deselecting the A/C for longer wet trips in cool weather to defog like any other car that gives you a choice. That's a common issue with automatic climate controls, and not a problem as long as you don't allow it to be. My Fords without the automatic controls (and most other non-Japanese designed cars) are worse; you aren't allowed the option; A/C comes on with defrost whether you like it or not which clears the glass quickly but eventually fogs worse. I've driven both rear-wheel and FWD in ice and snow, and I feel very safe in my RX with appropriate caution, but it's not the drive of an AWD BMW. And I don't drive that weather all the time. It's true both designs could be improved upon, like any car. That's why there's a diverse market of brand-new cars (but not new $10,000 RWD).

I would check those service records to see if the transmission specifically was serviced (not flushed) and how often. It's not normally part of regular service. Or better yet, if the tranny was already replaced by Lexus. If not, see if the dealer will warrantee the powertrain, or there is enough room in the price in case it comes up sometime soon. The tranny's likely the weakest link, other stuff is pretty minor. As long as you're aware of it, you will be going in informed and likely not take issue.

Since you're asking and I'm on the subject, my biggest complaint (I'm the original owner of one of the earliest models) is a few buzzy rattles from plastic interior trim against glass or steel - changed by 2000 models, the soft, cushy handling (I prefer the more engaging drive of a sportier car) and although the RX can be shifted somewhat manually like any car with an automatic transmission, I prefer better control of the downhill and curvy-road shifts than the RX is designed to support (I'm a control freak, I guess).

There are a lot of cool features I really like about the RX which seem so minor, but you get spoiled. Like ALL FOUR one-touch "auto" windows and moonroof both open and close (with "pinch protection) that you usually only see on more expensive cars. And also on the remote built into the key. Press and hold the "unlock" on the remote built into the key, and it opens all the windows as you approach the car on a sunny day to vent the rush of hot air. And you can close all the windows and lock the doors simultaneously with the key in the drivers door. Really cool, little things, especially for sunny climates. And the huge sunroof that opens automatically 3/4 of the way, and a second push to fully open (but crack a rear window when it's fully open) for an open-air ride. And the real, full spare inside the car under the floor, rather than exposed underneath. And the rear seat that not only goes back and forth and tilts back, but also easily swivels down into the floor flat without taking up the space right behind the front seats. And I like the size of the "300" models, because I don't need a huge hulk of a car.

It sounds to me like it's a good deal as long as you cover your bases and go into your purchase informed. Look closely like you would any used car. Here are a few common things I'd look for: Is the rubber on the brake pedal worn (indicating lots of stop n go) or is it smooth (indicating it was so worn it was replaced or better yet the car was usually used for more constant drives)? Is the transmission fluid fresh and pink or burned smelling and dark (yes, check it)? Is there blue exhaust smoke when it's first started from ice cold? Does it start smoothly and easily without touching the throttle? Does everything work properly (including the remote locking at all four doors)? Was the power antenna bent by a tree so it binds when it goes up and down? Just some stuff common to any used car purchase.

Good luck and share positive or negative experiences with us.
    Has anyone replaced the HID bulb? There is very little room behind the headlight assembly to remove the headlight back cover and get to the bulb. I checked the obvious 15A fuse and it is not it.

It is crazy that you have to take the bumper facia off to remove the headlights. Whose stupid idea was that and what is the purpose?

I know the ballast fires momentary 20,000 volts to ignite the bulb. I will disconnect the battery, pull the 15A fuse, before even reaching for the bulb connector.

Thanks,
    Joe
    "...simple press of a button.."

That would be nice, but.

Absent going to the dealer and having the appropriate c-best option set to other than the factory default the A/C compressor will ALWAYS engage, with NO indication to you of same, in ANY defrost/defog/demist mode, partial or full.

"..safe in my RX with appropriate caution..."

And therein is the "rub"...

Absent a serious level of experience or education specific to handling/driving dynamics of a FWD or F/awd they are/remain PATENTLY UNSAFE.

For me, appropriate caution involved installing tire chains on all four wheels of my '01 F/awd RX300 during/throughout our recent 10 day snowstorm.

See...

Post #188 in "Lexus RX300 Transmission Problems".
  • jalegrantijalegranti Member Posts: 6
    How many miles do you get out of your brake pads on your RX330? (particularly the rear brakes?).
    Reason I ask is, I have a 2005 RX330 with 84,000 miles on it. Went in for service last week and the dealer told me the front and rear brakes needed to be replaced. I ok'd it, but looking back on my records, I noticed that the rear pads were replaced at 59K miles -- only 25K miles ago. These are the only two times I've replaced the rear pads, which means this set lasted less than half as long as the first set. (By comparison, my fronts were replaced at 42K the first time, meaning the second set of pads lasted an equal 42K as the first set). This doesn't add up in my mind.
    Please post to this thread how many miles you get on your rear pads.
    Thanks!
    I just got my rear pads replaced today at 38K. I had the front ones replaced a while back at approx. 35K. The dealer wanted $320, but I went to my usual mechanical shop that charged me $200. The dealer also told me I needed :) tires at $1300! I priced the same ones at Costco for $780. Shop around. The dealers get commission for service work.
  • alolewisalolewis Member Posts: 36
    I just replaced my front pads at 52,000 for the first time, rear pads are still the original. My driving is 1/2 freeway, 1/2 city. 11 stoplights and 6 miles of freeway on my daily commute each way total distance is 8 miles.