Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• sjw2131sjw2131 Posts: 1
    I have seen a couple STS's 99-2000 and they seem to shift really hard into drive from park. the whole motor seems to bounce back and forth and i can see the transmission bounce beneath the car as well. when i saw the first one like this i thought there must definately be something wrong with it but then now ive seen two more like this. is this normal for this model/years???
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    Do any of you know if the Northstar once it springs a mild leak, is still fixable. Will the leak get worse, and the rsult is the engine deemed scrap. I believe some have said yes in the past. I think. I have a friend with a 95' Eldorado with about 125K on it and it's leaking a lil' bit of oil. It's mild now, and some have told me it will get worse and their is nothing one can do to stop it. Is this true ?

If any of ya'll want to comment feel free. I went to the search window that the hosts provided me and found nothing.

I'm just trying to help a friend out.

Rocky

P.S.

Luckily I haven't heard similar problems on 99' and up STS Northstars.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,272
    It depends where the leak is. If it's the notorious "engine seal" leak, which results in a leak in the unusual split engine block design of the Northstar, then the only solution is a major disassembly of the car and engine. I am told this requires about 18 hours of shop time. Most often, this leak occurs after 100K miles, but much early mileage have been reported.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• bill86bill86 Posts: 7
    Police lady- in my opinion no oil change is needed between seasons, as was needed many years ago. Your car probably uses 5-30 oil which is all-season, and should be changed when the car's info system says so. It will tell you when the oil life has 10% remaining. In my experience that is around 10,000 mi. Today's cars run cleaner and the oil is better.
    My 1993 Cad sts called for oil changes at about 5500 mi, and after over 200,000 mi it runs fine and uses no more oil than when new. Hope this helps. I think changing oil at 3000 mi is a waste except for the changers.
  • wfeindtwfeindt Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there ever heard of a cad. made of stainless steel, no matter what year?
    57 & 58 I believe had stainless steel roof and fender skirts, that's about it, in the Brougham model.

• bartender2bartender2 Posts: 2
    I may have posted my question in the wrong forum,so i'll try here. 1992 deville ,i only have two brakes, rt front and left rear the other two get no brake fluid at all any help would be great, thanx bartender.ps i think my question is on one of the other forums in greater detail
  • dmp3dmp3 Posts: 1
    I own a '99 Cadillac Deville and when I start my car, the power immediately goes out on everything. I try to start it again and it's dead as a doornail. I give it a few minutes and it starts up. I was driving into work and all of a sudden the car dies - no power. While waiting for AAA to arrive, I hear my antenna going down and was able to start my car. The time lapse was about 15 minutes. Any idea what could be wrong??
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    The early 80's Eldo's had the stainless steel roof, but I've never heard of a whole car made out of it from Caddy.
  • scott1121scott1121 Posts: 4
    I have the same vehicle and just had my head gasket blow. I was sitting idle in traffic and all of a sudden the bells started going off and the computer screen said "Engine Overheating - Idle Engine". I put the vehicle in neutral and just as I did the bells when off again and this time the screen said "Low Coolant - Engine Overheating - Stop Engine". I immediately put the car in a parking space 6 feet away and turned off the engine. When I did, I heard a bubbling sound in the coolant reserve tank. I got out and on the ground was a huge puddle of milk-chocolate colored, milkshake thickness fluid. After towing to the shop, the initial diagnosis is blown head gasket - external failure. It just turned 100k miles last week and had all the service done as required on a 2003 CTS. Cadillac is refusing to help so far saying that since I have over 100k miles it's out of their abilty to assist, I have 101k miles not - come on guys. I'm going to have it towed to a Cadillac Dealer and have them tear it down and do a full diagnosis.
  • auto007auto007 Posts: 5
    Hi,

Anyone have any ideas where to get 1 factory 22" Escalade 07 FACTORY wheel/tire? It appears according to my local dealer this is a special order item that takes 2 days to get updated on availablity that could be months?

It's hard to believe this and any insight on how to obtain it faster would be great!

Thanks
  • Look under your dash, there should be a small handle just exposed beyond the driver kick panel. If may be sticky if its never been used.

Sometimes, I have found my brake will stick, try cycling the tranny between park and drive a few times.
  • philly500philly500 Posts: 2
    want to drop a big block olds in my 69 caddy conv is this possible i know my eldo had a 350 olds rocket the 472 in my caddy is a pain to get parts for and of course i threw a rod on sat any feedback would be very helpful

thanx
    Doesn't make sense to me. You'll spend a lot of $$ getting everything to fit (it's not a common conversion after all) and you'll lose considerable value on your car to boot. And if you put an Olds 350 in there you will lose a LOT of horsepower (from 375 to 250). And if you use an Olds 455 you will gain but a few HP if you find the most powerful 455 (which will not be cheap to buy).

Sounds like a no win situation on all counts. Can't think of a good reason to do it---if I could, I'd tell you.

• 1rubyd1rubyd Posts: 2
    I have a 97 Cadillac Catera. I was just informed yesterday that my left head gasket is leaking antifreeze. I was also told that it will cost me $3K to get this fixed. I am tired of paying money for this car. Any suggestions? My car is not running hot, but damn, when that light comes on to tell me that I'm low in antifreeze, it freaks me out. HELP, PLEASE. My gaskets and not blown so that should be hope for it. HEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP! :cry:
  • emonteroemontero Posts: 1
    i own a 1994 sts the service engine light came on and now the car will go into reverse or drive very hard and it shifts late thru gears when i`m driving
  • mantagmantag Posts: 47
    Really have not had any major work until recently. Smelled oil coming from the engine - not lights came on, no dripping. Tool in into caddy service - engine half seals were bad - had to drop engine. found a broken engine mount(rubber bushing)could be why I did feel some engine vibration. All told for those to items - $1600 or so. Really hate to think about looking but...with all this talk about the expensive repairs, what else is coming down the road? Whats this about the 'service suspension soon" message, etc. Thoughts??

Currently have 67k
  • cadilatercadilater Posts: 2
    is there any problems with the ethanol mix in the gas? I went to a station that posted that the gas was 10% ethanol.
  • cadilatercadilater Posts: 2
    hi,

just going through some posts and found yours from "05. But, was wondering if this problem continued and/or you found out the problem/solution. I have an 03 CTS and it seems that the radio cuts out occasionally for about one second. Hopefully that isnt a long run problem.
    thank you, Mike
  • bill86bill86 Posts: 7
    I believe ethanol up yo 15% is OK for recent cars as yours- check with a Cadillac service dept to make sure. (In Calif most gas has ethanol for emissions (and/or to keep the corn farmers happy) and I think 10%.)
  • Check http://users.elknet.net/mts/index.html for some great tune-up parts for the 472/500 engines, including rebuild kits, and complete engines.
  • Check on ebay; often you see singles for sale there of various Cadillac wheel take-offs from dealers.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Are there any of the engine choices to avoid due to reliability issues for the CTS?
    -Loren
  • I would prefer one of the newer 2.8L or 3.6L engines. They are a new design, have good power, and seem to have terrific reliability (so far).
  • Hi i just got a 2005 escalade ext. i love it but wanted some feed back from anyone who has owned one. also i wondered if anyone know where to get gadgets cheaper for it as well?? any info appreciated.. thanks
  • kirainmtkirainmt Posts: 4
    Try e-bay or compare though online stores using Dogpile.com
  • stevewhitstevewhit Posts: 4
    Hello
    I need some help! My '91 Deville with the 4.9 is running very rough and skipping. It seems to run rich when it is acting up but will run really good sometimes. It doesn't seem to matter if it is hot or cold. I have replaced the plugs, cap, wires, and ignition module. It doesn't have any codes set in the computer. It is not hard to start. Sometimes the roughness is there from the start and sometimes its not. It's intermittent, but is getting worse. The exhaust is very black and the mileage is down. I suspect a bad injector. But would an injector come and go? Anyone had this kind of problem before? Any and all ideas greatly appreciated.
    Steve in SC
  • What I have done to this point is verify that I have a voltage supplied to the distributor with the key turned to the start position. It is not the +10 or greater that the book recommends but it is around 9.4 volts. I am using this to disqualify the keyswitch to be bad. I do thank you for your input and I have to admit that at one point I thought it to be the key itself. Any more ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,
    Keith
  • crick1mcrick1m Posts: 2
    having problems with car dying and will not restart. It acts like it wants too start, I give it gas but acts like it is not getting enough to start. This has happened twice, had it towed home, as soon as it was dropped off the flat bed it started up both times......... was not too happy, got any ideas could sure use some. :cry:
  • bigdeanbigdean Posts: 2
    can anyone please tell me what service ride control might mean? the car dosen't ride any different. thanks for any help
This discussion has been closed.