Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hammer995hammer995 Member Posts: 27
    I have close to 8k miles on my Aviator and it developed a strange squeaking noisce when I turn the steering wheel. Also, when I go hard left, it stutters. I am thinking also that its not as easy to turn as I remember...Could this be a leak in the power steering fluid??

Anybody else heard or had this problem??

Thanks,
    Sonny
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The squeak is a bad contact set that needs to be replaced by the dealer. Take it in. The shudder is a loose pump or bracket, or possibly a belt loose, but the auto tensioner should be letting that happen unless the tensioner is faulty. Also, take it in for both complaints. They can fix them easily.
    Thanks for your help...I'll be taking it in shortly.
  • bmwloverbmwlover Member Posts: 9
    Im starting to get scared... I bought a 04 aviator couple days ago went from 52000 down to 33000 with rebates and crappy chrysler town and cuntry with 50000 miles on it... every one says they have problems on theirs but so far mine is great... its only got 150 miles on it thoug
    This is a problems board. You'll find some wierdness on the Lexus problems board too. Doesn't mean they're all bad. Some of the early 03's were problematic, quite a few of them actually, as they were new. You'll likely be quite happy with yours. Enjoy.
  • obixobix Member Posts: 2
    dennisa3

I have experimented quite a bit with this fuel economy/octane scenario. Partly because I am curious, partly because I live by a budget and $2 over is still $2 over. Actually in my case, $2 a tank is actually over $200 a year. I can think of a lot better things to do with $200 than give it to the oil companies!

Anyway, I have made several trips from the mountains of VA to Charlotte and experimented with the different octane ratings in my LSE V8. On each trip I used the same brand of gas from the same stations. I only varied the octane, and luckily the ambient temperature was fairly consistent. The bottom line result was about 0.5 mpg difference(~10miles/tank more). Power up the hills was the same and there was no knocking or pinging. As a result, I have switched to 89. I have actually found more mpg variability in brand of fuel than in octane rating.

As do many others, I also have some auto engineer friends. Once you breakdown the company line, they admit the recommended octane ratings are for peak performance to achieve the advertised stats (0-60, quarter mile, HP@xxx rpm etc.) For everyday use, the octane has very little impact since the computer will compensate for it.

On the rather derogatory comment, "if you can't afford the premium fuel; you can't afford the premium vehicle..."; remember the old quote "A fool and his money...." I know the insult was recanted later, but it should not have been uttered in the first place. This was a legitimate question, and I just had to stand up for the curious mind here.

Anyway, I just wanted to say this board is a great resource. My wife and I are trying to decide on trading our 02 LSE for either the Aviator or another Chrysler Pacifica. It is nice to get a feel for the seriousness of problems that we could incur.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    If you were driving a lot in the mountains then your results are somewhat skewed. The thinner air at higher altitudes provides less oxygen and as a result you can run much lower octane. Most high altitude areas don't even sell 91 octane. 89 or possibly even 87 would be equivalent to 91 at sea level.

Not saying your results aren't valid but others may see more of a difference in mpg in different locations.
    Yep, well, there ya go.
  • dennisa3dennisa3 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the information. I tried a tank of 89 and frankly could not tell the difference in performance or mileage. But to do it correctly I need to do as suggested a run a longer test. I have now found two stations that sell 91 octane fuel, so I save a buck per tank and still get expected performance.

I really like my Aviator. The only problem was a broken power steering hose at 400 miles and a teen running into the back of me while she was yakking on her cell phone.

You might want to check the rear center seat belt tie down. As suggested here, you can remove the third row seat bottom cushion. I found the large screw holding seat belts was barely threaded into the floor. If I had an accident those rear belts would have failed to hold the occupants.
  • northpolermikenorthpolermike Member Posts: 3
    Jace: I've been following your posts throughout, and was wondering if you ever got resolution from Lincoln about this problem. I am in the market for a 2004, with a build date on 6/2004, and was curious if the problem ever got a fix.

The Seekins FLM dealership loaned me the vehicle that I'm interested in for 2 1/2days, which gave me a chance of putting 149 miles on it. I left my heated garage with my wife and 2 teenage sons for a 25 mile test run from North Pole to Salcha,AK. The garage was heated to 55 degrees, there was a snow storm in progress, and the outside air temp was -5.

I had the AUTO mode selected to take the vehicle to 72 on the driver's side, the passenger side was set to 72, and my wife cranked up the rear to warm up the 2nd & 3rd row. At the halfway point, my son in the front passenger seat put down his window, so that screwed up my test somewhat.

On the return leg, once the cabin reached 72, the demisters started blowing cold air, and within 3 minutes all of the windows were fogged up. Had to override to manual and set defrost to Hi blow, with the temp set up to 78. From there to home it was a balancing act to keep the windows cleared.

The next day I took it back to Seekins FLM, after driving solo the 25 miles to the dealership. I stopped once at the post office, put the window down for less than 30 seconds to throw in the mail, and the outside air temp was 11 degrees. But at no time did the windows fog up on that trip, even though the side demisters blew cool air after cabin temp of 72 was reached in Auto Mode. I am guesstimating the demisters temp to be about 55-60 throughout, but certainly never at the temp coming out on the floor board.

Please advise what, if any, fix Lincoln came up with on this design. It's been like pulling teeth to get the salesman or the service department to take my inquiry seriously. I may have to go to my brother's FLM deaslership in Beaufort, SC to inquire directly from Lincoln. Thanks for your reply.
    on this and the LS board. From what I understand, these units ( I think from Visteon ) are operating as they were designed to, but at extreme cold and humid operating conditions, they don't exactly do it right. Ford knows that, and has someone working on the problem with the Visteon engineers to correct it. What and when the outcome will be, we don't always know. Sometimes, there's a TSB and units are fixed when the customer complains. In my climate nobody complains, it's not noticed. In the snow belt, it's unacceptable, no doubt. If no TSB is sent out, the dealers don't know what to do, as it throws no codes and according to the manual and the computer, it's operating within perameters and specs as it's designed to do. Which is fine, but your nose is cold, your feet are not and your side windows are foggy on a cold wet day. Sometimes, they just fix it going forward with an engineering change, and from a date certain, the units made from that EC date get the unit that operates differently. Testing like you did is good. You could likely get different temps from the floor than you'll get from the demisters, the defroster registers and the panel. The blend doors will mix them all per specs based on the input sensors for the load demand input and computer settings you have set and any overrides. Salesmen won't have a clue generally. They won't know what you're talking about. The service manager may, but they may not either.
  • jacebeck1jacebeck1 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for your note. Ford has not resolved the problem. If you would like to discuss it, I am willing to talk offline. I can be reached at jaceb@aol.com

Please identify yourself and provide me with a phone number or contact information.
  • vinnievinnie Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone encountered the On-board diagnostics check engine light (ODB-2) on your '04 aviator?

I have a brand new aviator with 4000 miles. Its been starting to have subtle rough idle and during a highway trip during thanksgiving, the check engine light came on (not blinking, just constant).

The user manual says this is not serious if it is not blinking, but darn it its a brand new car.

My question is if anyone has encountered this symptom, and what was the cause of it? i'm taking the car in later this week to the dealer to find out anyways.

Coincidence or not....right before my trip, i took the car in to the lincoln/ford dealership to have the oil changed....hmmmmm.
    And I do sympathize.....you're right- it could be something as simple as the computer has detected a missing oil cap. OR, you could have a failing O2 sensor or something like that. I'm sure it's an easy fix, as an error code is obviously being thrown to turn on that light. If you have a rough idle, it's likely a performance issue rather than an oil cap, and I'd get it in today if you can. You wish it wouldn't happen to a new car, but it's a minor issue and an inconvenience at worst in this case.
    Could also be bad fuel or a loose fuel cap. I'm sure it's nothing serious and can be easily repaired.
  • clarksalmoclarksalmo Member Posts: 19
    I've had my Aviator for about 10 months. It has 15000 miles on it, mostly highway use. I'm on my third transmission, the CD player doesn't work, the windshield washer needs replacement, the air conditioner quit working this weekend, the seat warmer on the passenger side only works intermittently and it has several rattles and squeaks. The dealer is working on these issues, but are there any other Aviators that have this many problems or did I just get a badly built machine?
    I don't think it's typical to have that many problems. 3 transmissions? Maybe the dealer isn't diagnosing the problem correctly or isn't using the right replacement parts. Perhaps you have an electrical problem that's causing the other failures? Might want to try a new dealer.

It's also possible you just got a lemon. It happens, even with Hondas and Toyotas.
    You, my friend, have a LEMON, IMO. I'd be keeping a file.
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    My wife's '04 Aviator is doing just fine, although we only have 4500 miles on it. No hint of some of the other problems mentioned here. However, there is an annoyance that I'm looking to eliminate, and that has to do with the warning chime associated with an unfastened seat belt. It's probably one of those things that is "illegal" for the dealer to disable.

Here, in south Florida, we tend to let the motor and a/c run while we load up the vehicle. With no one in the car (or, with passenger only), that warning chime just keeps ringing! It's enough to drive you around the bend! I'm about to start pulling out fuses or circuit breakers, but I'll probably shut down some other system as well.

Any ideas? or is it just me or this particular vehicle?

Thanks,
    Life is Better at the Beach
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    There is a way to disable the warning chimes. Check your owner's manual. The procedure involves fastening and unfastening the buckle in a specific, timed sequence. I've disabled the feature in the previous and current generation F-150. The procedure was clearly spelled out in the owner's manual.
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    I think the 2003 and newer Ford vehicles all have this - as I have witnessed it in a 2003 Focus, a 2004 Aviator and a 2004 F150. My 2000 LS does not do it - nor do I know if the 2003 or 2004 LS does.

I have a 92 Continental that has an electronic instrument cluster. I began to experience an intermitant beeping that was probably caused by a short in the cluster. I replaced the cluster twice and only had relief for a few weeks each time - so I simply "followed my ears" and found the box that did the beeping and unplugged it. Problem solved!
    All you have to do to temporarily disable the warning is to buckle, then unbuckle the seatbelt. If it's possible to disable it permanently it will be in the owner's manual.
  • clarksalmoclarksalmo Member Posts: 19
    It's in your owners manual under Beltminder. You can shut it off.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Allen;

Correction to an old post:

You said:

"'m not positive but there are a few things that I miss on the Aviator that I think are available on the Navigator (I have them on my Lincoln LS):

Automatic wipers

Electrically adjustable seat backs and steering wheel"

The only one of these 3 items available on the Navigator is the power seatbacks.

"The Navigator also gives you retractable running boards "

They don't give em to you :>) You pay about $1200 extra I think and I'm pretty sure you can ony get em on the Ultimate.

"It also has a power rear liftgate and third row folding seat"

These are standard on the Ultimate, not available on the Luxury IIRC.

You can get a 2nd row bench seat in the Nav, I did. A real neat feature about it is the middle seat is on rails and can slide forward about a foot or more so the occupant, presumably a little one in a child's seat, can be up close and personal to Mom and Dad in the front seats.
    By myself. After driving one as a loaner for 2 days. This won't be pretty. Sorry.

Some of you know that I have an '04 Navigator Ultimate. I had gone out pretty much sure I would get an Aviator a year ago. But it just wasn't big enough for what I wanted. 3 kids in the back and lots of room behind the back seat. Also drivers seat felt a little cramped and the HVAC system seemed to have the same problem my LS does. Having driven the Nav for a year and the Av for last 2 days I can say very strongly that I'm very glad I bought the Navigator. Now, to the Aviator.

It's a loaner, but has only 3000 miles on it. Not sure if it's 2 or AWD, has moonroof and little else for options that I can tell. Has a REAL cheap looking radio behind the dash door. The interior, though nearly identical to the Nav, somehow 'feels' cheaper. Can't splain it, just a feeling. I like the little doors in the door panel and arm rest. I don't like where the inside door handles are.

Good stuff - engine is GREAT. Handling is GREAT. Tranny seems a bit 'twitchy'. The 4speed in my Nav is super-smooth and seems to shift up and down pretty much exactly where I'd like. The Av seems to have too long in 1st, too short in 2nd and 3rd and it doesn't seem to understand what to do on downshifts. Ride is certainly rougher and twitchier than the Nav. There is a vaguely noticeable vibration at freeway speeds coming from the drivetrain I think. Not the tires or steering. something else.

Now, here's the kicker and maybe I'll write another post just about this - the HVAC system in this Aviator is much worse than the one in my LS. So much so that I called the dealer today (they have my LS for air bag lite on and another attempt to bring my HVAC up to the operating level of my '86 Cherokee) and suggested they not do anything to the HVAC as it now seems a bargain in comparison to the Aviator.
    Let me start this off by urging anyone North of the Mason-Dixon line to please, if you're considering an Aviator, drive the one you want to buy for a day or two. In cold weather. And see if the HVAC system works well enough for you. Here is my experience after driving a loaner Aviator for 2 days, backed up by 1 year in my '04 Navigator and 3 years in my '01 LS:

I have come to the conclusion that the HVAC systems in the Aviator and the LS (and maybe the Navigator too) are poorly designed and even more poorly implemented.

by way of explanation: I have complained practically since new that my LS'es HVAC system will, if it thinks the car needs to be heated up, begin blowing COLD air thru the defroster and demisters (such that I can feel it on my face) while blowing Cool air (too cool for comfort) out of the 2 side air vents and HOT air out of the center stack. I've measured the temps to be:

60-65 degrees defrost demist

70-80 degrees right and left air vents

100-110 degrees center stack.

To me, this ain't right. To Ford, it's normal and take a hike, customer. I have tried hard to get them to fix it somehow, to no avail thus far. And with mcuh ill-will now towards Ford, Lincoln customer "ASSistance" and a Ford regional engineer in particular.

I obtained the service CD which includes the LS and have looked at the design of the HVAC system and found that it is designed to 'blow-by' cold air straight from the AC EVEN if other doors are allowing heat from the heater cores. The cold air "blends" with the hot air to supposedly keep the car at the right temp. Well, I'm here to say that it's hit and miss at best. My Navigator seems to work fine. Not my LS or 2 Aviators I've driven. As I looked at the design I realized much would depend on EXACTLY how much each of the blend doors was opened. I must presume that the blend door assembly is POORLY manufactured or QC'd such that blend door angles vary wildly and thus do the temps out of the vents. Or perhaps the control circuits or mechanics are not always operating correctly. In any case, Ford either won't admit it's a problem or can' fix it or both.

This Aviator I have is almost impossible to get comfortable in. Here's the conditions: driving 35 miles over an 1800 foot climb, drop. Ouside temp around 45-50 degrees. I set the HVAC on auto, 76 degrees. Felt my right foot up to my calf getting warm, felt cold air on the upper portion of my body. Upped temp to 80 degrees. Leg getting real warm. Upped to 85. Finally a little teeny bit of hot air on upper body and face. Leg feeling like it's on fire. Tried to set up the system so that no hot air came out of the heater vent which is RIGHT WHERE I REST MY LEG. Had a lot of difficulty doing this. Finally found that I could get reasonably comfortable if I set the temp at 85 and set the HVAC to DEFROST only. Oh, and hit the switch to turn the AC off.

This is just NOT the way to heat a luxury vehicle.

Caveat Emptor mon amies. Gotta go to a meeting.

How much different than the Explorer/Mountaineer Auto Climate, is the Aviator system? Never had this problem with my 02 or 04 Mountaineers.....
    I dunno. Is the mtneer HVAC automatic? THat, I believe, is where the problem comes in. And like I said, it's hit or miss. Some of them, maybe even most of them, work OK. Me? 3 out of 4 are NFG. Reading back on this board I see I am far from alone on this regard. Ford needs to pull their head out of the sand on this. IMHO. WHere's ANT - how about you pass this along to somebody who can do something about it? ASk them if their house furnace works this way 60 degree air here, 110 degree air there when warming up the house. Have em tell u that's normal, like they did me re my car.
    That's where the infamous Blend Door seems to come in, heyjewel. Since I've been reading about this problem, I've been sensitive to this problem in my cars, and have not noticed a problem, but I live in the sunbelt too, so it may not be a problem there. HOWEVER - I can tell ya that when I want to warm my hands, I place my hand over the demister portion of the vent, for nice warm air, which it sounds like, this Aviator isn't providing. And yes, the Mountaineers generally come with Auto Climate. You can get manual in the stipper model, but it's rare you find them equipped that way.

I do believe Ford/Visteon has a problem with their current versions of their HVAC though. They

don't do the job as cleanly as the last editions did back in 98/99 did. Those systems were perhaps simpler, but more consistent. I had a couple of them, and they were just excellent.
    Hi NV;

:>) If I put my hand over the demister for very long (in my LS or that Aviator) I'd have to soon stop and get frostbitten fingers amputated!

Seriously, if you're getting nice warm air out of your demisters, you better call Ford cause it ain't working as designed. And if you're in the sunbelt, what are the conditions outside and the HVAC settings to get warm air? I can only get warm air there if I set the HVAC to defrost only and the temp to 90 degrees.

The craziest thing about the Aviator is the placement of the heater vent right where my leg is. Literally roast leg of George on the menu if I didn't take it out of auto and get the heat up to defrost.

My car before the LS was a '93 Mark 8. It was a great car and the HVAC worked well. My sis-in-law has it now with about 160K on it.

What really tees me off about this is every service tech who's looked at it has been almost shocked at what's coming out of the vents. Yet after working on it for a day, they all fall into the company line which is basically:

1) The center vents are closer to the heater cores so they will naturally have warmer air than the side vents. I counter with FACTS: the temp difference is 30 degrees (110 to 80) There is NO WAY a max of 3 feet greater distance thru the plastic ducts will drop that much heat. Besides, guess what, my '86 Cherokee has some vents farther from the heater core than others and they ALL blow nice hot air.

2) Cold air out of the defrost and demist is the way it's designed to work. That's normal. Me - even if I can feel cold air on my face? while it's cold outside and I want the car to warm up I feel cold air on my face? Them - Normal. Good bye.

I caution anyone again to be sure your potential purchase works properly - drive it more than 5 mins from the dealer. Set on auto. Make sure you don't have A/C blowin on your face when ambient temp is cold. Because if yhou buy it and then find this problem - FORD WILL NOT FIX IT because they will say it ain't broke.

Update: as I said I had the Avi cause my LS was in the shop. Airbag light had come on, rear door handle had broken and they were going to look at my HVAC problem. They fixed the air bag light - connector under driver's seat and replaced the rear door handle. Both were AWA - no charge to me - they occurred at appx 51000 miles. That was great service by the SM. Now, this is not my selling dealer. This is a dealer close to where I work. I went there 2 months ago to give someone else a stab at the HVAC. At that time they agreed there was a problem and actually DID something. They 'lubed the camshafts for the blend doors'. But it didn't help. This time they spent hours on it (I don't know how they'll get reimbursed for their time) - they got Ford involved and finally were forced to answer my complaint with STD Items 1 and 2 above. However, the SM assured me that he will continue to look into this as he can see it's a problem and doesn't like what Ford is telling him. He's treated me 300% better than service at my selling dealer.

OK that's enuf for now.
    First, I agree with you on the 93 Mark 8, and other earlier versions, as I said, my 98 and 99, and other earlier Ford auto climates were stellar in managing climates in cabins IMO. I forgot, so were my 90 and 92 and 94 that I had. None of these problems, so I'm right with ya on this. For some reason, this newly improved version is a nightmare. Now in my two abodes, North Florida where I am now and Southern Nevada (I have Snow Aversion) the temperatures at night and early morning can be in the 40s outside, climate is always set at 74 in the cabin, and it manages me just fine all the time - no issues.. So, evidently, the Visteon lab that engineered this, was in Phoenix, eh? They forgot to test it in Dearborn in December? Anyway, I'm satisfied, although, I don't like it as well as the old system, it's "ok".
  • balebosbalebos Member Posts: 3
    Has any one noticed a sudder in the steering wheel when turning wheel sharp? Plus the steering coluum make a rubber on plastic noise when turnig. I called lincoln and all they would say if the dealer told me if it was within specs. Of course it was so to bad. The dealer agrees that there is aproblem but ford doesn't. Any ideas?
  • aa8qfaa8qf Member Posts: 34
    Just had that problem fixed. I think it was a steering gear that they replaced. I will check my invoice later to confirm that. Apparently there was a technical service bulletin (according to my dealer). Also, the rubber on plastic noise you mention might be a faulty clock spring. I've had four (maybe more, I'm losing track)of them replaced in my vehicle. Good luck.
    I had the same sound and stuttering problem on hard left turns...

I brought it in and they fixed it when I had the 10k mile tune up.
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    My wife and I have both recently experienced this problem (independently of each other) when making hard LEFT hand turns (usually backing out of a tight parking space). It looks as though I will be bringing the Aviator back in for yet another issue.

It's funny how this topic seems to have just surfaced, as I hadn't experienced this problem until only about a month ago. I thought it was odd the first time it happened, but didn't think too much about it at the time, as it seemed like an isolated experience. However, I've noticed it on two other occasions since. Balebos' post prompted me to speak about it with my wife (the daily driver of the Aviator) and she too has noticed this. Thanks for posting about it and noting a fix . . . looks like another trip to dealer . . .
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    Thanks to all for the info on the seat belt reminder chime. It is, indeed, in the manual. I suppose I have the same problem reading a new car manual as I do reading the manual for a new piece of software; DUMB!

Anyway, if any of you want to have a real chuckle, go to the section and read the steps required to turn the #%@**## chime off! It's just amazing!

Life is better at the beach
  • mongo1mongo1 Member Posts: 49
    Greetings folks, and may this find you well. I have an unusual problem that I referred to over on the Navigator site. A very dim light can be seen on both sideview mirrors, through the turn signal louvers, AFTER the puddle lamps have shut off. This is an intermittant problem with the light staying on about 80 percent of the time. I don't believe there are any fiber optics going to these lamps (turn signals) but I don't have the wiring diagrams to confirm, and I'm not overly anxious to tear it apart to find out. I have wired cars for over 35 years, and this is a new one for me. It's as if a very weak current is still flowing to the lamps causing it to light dimly. LM dealer says "It's operating as designed", but that is just so much "Bovine Scatorial" Unless it's Lincoln's policy to design cars that automatically run their own batteries down! (Planned Obsolesence?) I suspect it might just be beyond the technicians capability. Anyway, if anyone has experienced this, or knows a solution. Please let me know. Thanks in advance, HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
  • keefiekeefie Member Posts: 4
    My '03 Aviator is having this problem. I asked to have it fixed and the problem cleared up for a short while. However, the fix did not last long and I am going back to the shop. Did you get any relief and what is the solution?
    I'm thinking Tire Separation. Switch the tires from front to back and see what happens.
  • markportmarkport Member Posts: 5
    I have the same thing on my Aviator when I turn left.
  • jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    Ok, so I check out a 2003 Lincoln Aviator this past weekend. Looked good at first, but when I opened up the hood, I noticed the two hood stops (one on each side of the engine bay close to the headlights) had paint on them! Also, the paint was cracking and chipping off of the rubber on the stops.

I've never seen that before and took it as a sign that the Aviator was in a front end collision, and that the stops were painted over by a sloppy repair person that didn't take the time to mask the area off. When I asked the dealership (they sold & serviced the car) about any repair work, they said there was none done. Carfax came out clean. Spooked, I passed on the car.

Well, I checked out another 2003 yesterday, and sure enough the stops were once again painted the same color as the body of the car. What gives, are all aviator hood stops painted or is this a case of looking at two Aviators that were involved in front end collisions?

Weird.
    Just got the Avi back from the shop. The steering problem (pulsing sensation in the steering wheel when at full-lock left) was taken care of by applying SSM (Special Service Message) 04-10-01. What this involves is a flush of the power steering fluid and the addition of a "conditioner". Time will tell if this works.
  • aa8qfaa8qf Member Posts: 34
    Glad to hear problem solved. Just FYI, when they fixed mine, the flush and conditioner did not initially fix the problem. They then had to replace the steering gear.
    I can't yet confirm whether work done by my dealer has "solved" the problem . . . I just got it back after an overnight visit to the shop. Since the pulsing sensation didn't happen every time the wheel was turned to a full left lock, I cannot tell whether the work performed solved anything, thus my earlier remark of "time will tell."

I've got my fingers crossed, but that hasn't helped me over the past 11 months with this Aviator. My wife and I are both pleased with the way it drives and serves our needs, it's just getting to be a PITA to bring it in for seemingly endless nagging faults. This has been a far different experience from our 2000 Lincoln LS.
    I'm not sure this is always a sign of body repair, but my stops are not painted. FWIW.
  • jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    Thanks nvbanker. Curious, what year is your Aviator. I'm wondering if it's just a 2003 occurance.
    I have an 03 Navigator.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    '91 mustang - painted, '02 explorer - painted.

if they are not painted, i'd be more worried.

sorry nv. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • brooster54brooster54 Member Posts: 25
    '01 LS, '04 LS, '05 Escape, all painted, no accidents. I think I'd be more concerned if they weren't painted!

Merry X-Mas one and all!
  • fmlcarlvrfmlcarlvr Member Posts: 2
    the day before christmas eve (weekend before our service dept for lincoln closed for 4 days), we couldn't move the shifter out of park. No one in the sales dept had ever heard of this (surprise!!) so after talking to roadside assistance, we were informed of a temporary fix. There is a lever in the middle console that has to be raised by a screw driver to release the shifter from park. After taking the car in after the holiday, we found out that it was the brake light switch that went bad. This is connected to the interlocking of the brakes. I was also informed that there was a recall on Ford Taurus's and other Fords for this problem, but not on Lincoln Aviators. Has anyone else had this problem? What an inconvenience, especially during the first snow storm!!