Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    terry645terry645 Member Posts: 16
    Update.I was being fed information from my wife, who normally drives this car.
    She's a master mechanic...yeah..right!
    Anyhow, I took the car out the other day. It was in the low 50's outside. Drove the car for 20 to 30 minutes. With front and back systems off, the interior did NOT heat up. It probably was the rear heat that was on.
    Anyhow, problem solved.
    Thanks very much for your interest and assistance.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I was being fed information from my wife

Nuff said...... :blush:
  • Options
    abtrmanabtrman Member Posts: 35
    Hey everybody,To all of you that have a whining noise coming the rear end.The noise became progressively worse over the course of about five months.I almost became use to it then it became really loud.I took it to my regular dealer and the problem was diagnosed as a dye coloring that is used identify specific parts had become brittle within the differential and then flaked-off and contaminated the fluid turning it into a whitish frothy mess.They then replaced several components which were covered under my extended warranty.The vehilcle ha 75k.It now sounds just as quiet as when new,except at 20 to 25 mph!Now it vibrates like a giant cell phone!Back it goes.
  • Options
    Before I go back to the dealer,does anyone have any idea why I would hear noise at one particular speed and none others?I"d like to have some ammo when I return to the dealer.Thanks.
  • Options
    That's normal with some differential problems. Usually means it's some type of resonance where two different parts "add up" to cause the noise. At slower or higher speeds the two parts cancel each other out or just don't add up.
  • Options
    Thanks, but do you feel it is normal in the sense that nothing can be done or it is a normal occurence but still needs to be repaired?The sound actually developed over several months and occured at all speeds and now just one narrow range.What would you suggest a fair resolution would be? Thanks again.
  • Options
    Oh it's definitely not normal operation, just that it's a common defect in certain vehicles. Can't offer much advice on how to fix it, but a shop that works on differentials would be my suggestion since that's the most likely culprit.
  • Options
    Thanks,that's a great suggestion.I"ll take it to a shop that specializes and then compare thier diagnosis with that of the dealer.The vehicle is still under warranty so the dealer is still on the hook.Thanks again.
  • Options
    jorie_4jorie_4 Member Posts: 6
    I have a crack in my rear gate, is it a warranty issue?
  • Options
    Of course! If it's still under warranty that is.
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    try either way. i had an explorer with a gate cracked under warranty it was replaced. cracked again, now out of warranty, they replaced it again. since it is a common problem on these vehicles, and very well documented, if you approach the dealer right i would think they would replace it even if not under warranty. if dealer says no, call corporate.
  • Options
    This is totally up to the dealer - Ford has no say in whether the dealer will perform the work or not. If it's out of warranty it's possible Ford or the dealer will cover it, or they'll at least do an AWA (after warranty adjustment) where they'll cover part of it. But if it's out of warranty and the dealer doesn't want to help, you're SOL unless you can find another dealer that will.
  • Options
    BCDragonfliBCDragonfli Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2005 Aviator, and both our seats heat a bit on the back, and only on the very front of the seat. Do these seats not heat under your butt.
    The dealer said they are working normally, but it doesn't seem right to me.
    Thanks
  • Options
    theresadewitttheresadewitt Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 and my seats heat up all over, especially under the butt. There is a problem and you need to take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. Heated seats are great...winters in Pittsburgh can be cruel.
  • Options
    Make sure the temp control is on 5 (maximum) and check the filter under the seat.
  • Options
    axtaxt Member Posts: 1
    I have a leak in my sunroof. It appears the drain hole in the sunroof drains into the car instead of draining down and out... Does anyone know how to get to the tube that drains ot to the outside?
  • Options
    It runs down the A pillar and vents below the vehicle.
  • Options
    jtafohojtafoho Member Posts: 2
    I live in Toronto and I have a 2003 Lincoln Aviator. Recently I was having intermittent problems with the gear shifter knob getting stuck. I mean the piece of metal at the top of the shifter that you press to release and move the stick. I push the brakes as hard as I can but the gear shifter knob would not get released. My misfortune did not end there. Last time I pressed the knob harder to release and move the stick. By pressing harder it did BREAK. I took it to the dealer and was told that the cost to repair it will be about 1200 Canadian $ as the entire "shifter assembly" had to be ordered from Ford and my warranty has expired.

The moving piece inside the gear shifter that is actioned by the knob is in PLASTIC, not in iron like in other cars and can easily break. That is what happened when I pressed harder. I don't know if Ford really tested that ugly technology. Definitely this is not the level of quality expected in a $45000 "luxury" utility vehicle. Just 5 months ago I had to pay 4500 Canadian $ to replace the cylinder head in the engine. I am so disappointed with that other Ford lemon.
  • Options
    Hi,This is Warren.Another Warren had the same problem and actually repaired it himself.I am not that bold.If you search the following messeges,you will find some helpful info.658,654,655,and 657.I have been pretty lucky so far.No major engine issues other than having to replace four coils .I have the extended warranty but I have $100 deductables,so it adds up fast.I just hope all issues show themselves before the warranty expires.Good luck.
  • Options
    I finally took in the girl and she was diagnosed with a problem that was caused by paint that was used to mark individual pieces flaking off and thus turning the fluid into a milky froth.I was suspicious but I did not push too far bacause at least it was being corrected.However I am noticing that same roar at about thirty miles per hour.Today I was having two more coils replaced and had them check the diff.They blamed the noise on rear tires in need of replacement.Again I am suspicious.I do need rear tires, so I am going to replace all four.I bet the problem will remain,but you almost have to eliminate other possible causes so they will take you seriously.
  • Options
    bfistobfisto Member Posts: 3
    I had to replace a cylinder head in my 2003 Aviator 6 months ago. I put up a big stink, wrote a letter, took some clips from this site on similiar problems and they knocked the price down to $1700. I also had to replace the entire shift assembly but it was $350US. Essentially, the entire assembly came appart while I was driving. I had to use needle nose plyers to put the car in park. I drove it like that for about a week.
  • Options
    terry645terry645 Member Posts: 16
    The steering on my 04 aviator has developed a very intermittent problem...happens
    every few months. The power steering gets noticeably sluggish. Not to the point of having no power steering, but harder to turn the wheel than normal. This will occur
    at start-up, but will generally go away after driving a few miles. I've looked at a few of the obvious things...fluid level, belt tension, no apparent leaks.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • Options
    jtafohojtafoho Member Posts: 2
    Wow! Where did you take your car to get those prices? Even in US $ the amounts are very cheap. How did you convince them to take their responsibility and drop the price? I paid 4300 Canadian $ for the cylinder head at Donway Lincoln Ford in Toronto and they charged me about 1200 for the gear shifter assembly. I still haven't
    fixed the gear shifter. It's just too expensive. Lincoln attracted me with this car just to deceive me.
  • Options
    tyler010486tyler010486 Member Posts: 1
    If anyone could please help me and lead me in the driection i need to go. i just bought a 2003 lincoln aviator about 5 months ago. it just hit 50,000 miles and i am having issue with the engine shutting off. in the morning when i start it to warm up by the time i come back outside it shut off. when i am driving on the highway sometimes it will shut off and i have to put it in neutral and turn the car off and restart it. when trying to speed up sometimes and i push the peddle down to get going it will beep and then shut down. the check engine light is not coming on eirther. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be. thank you.
  • Options
    aviator87aviator87 Member Posts: 3
    First: I am a pre-civil court mediator in NYS & I have to tell you, all these issues with this car is WRONG on so many levels. You shouldn't pay 50K + for a car and get nothing back in return. If Ford Lincoln is making inferior products then WE ALL need to hold them accountable for this. They need to PAY $$$$ not us!

Ok, My A/C worked slamming last year, then the winter came, heat worked perfectly. Now here is the summer again and my A/C is acting up. Sometimes there is cold air sometimes not, sometimes cold air comes out of all vents except for the drivers side. Now, there is only warm air coming out of the vents and there is this infirnal hissing noise coming from the back left panel, it hisses, then stops, then hisses again. Mind you this only happens when the A/C button is engaged. I am thinking this is the cars way of saying " I need Freon?" The sound almost sounds like its empty and its sucking for something. Also why I am doing this my drivers seat is SOOOO uncomfortable, feels like I a sitting on a rock. :(

If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. You can e-mail me at tkiellman@ksmmediators.com. Any help I would deeply appreciate it.

PS: Through the grace of the Father I have been some what blessed with getting this car (pre-owned) and I can't imagine what I would be doing if I were to experience the nightmares (you) guys go through with your aviators, not to mention the money you spend :(

Terrence
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
  • Options
    elliotlewiselliotlewis Member Posts: 1
    How do I access the fuse box in a 2003 Aviator. I have taken out the 2 screws from the dash but I cannot get it removed.
  • Options
    flawseybeeflawseybee Member Posts: 1
    I have the service manual for my Aviator but it only talks about the low a/c port and don't exactly show where it is.

Can somebody point out to me where exact it is located ?

There is a port on the left side of the engine with a black cap is this it?
  • Options
    rsegorsego Member Posts: 2
    I too have a problem with the gear shifter on my 2003 Lincoln Aviator. Several times when I try to move the shifter from Park to Drive in the center console, it locks and will not move out of Park. I looked on this site and saw that others have had the same problem and tried to press on the brake and at the same time try to shift from Park to Drive. This worked for me. If I slowly press the brake and depress the shifter button at the same time, it actually works (for now).
  • Options
    rsegorsego Member Posts: 2
    I recently had a problem with my power steering. I lost the power steering while driving, and noticed a leak of fluid under my 2003 Aviator. I found a hole in the power steering pressure hose that had been rubbed through when the hose lays against a pulley or belt. My dealer tells me that the hose simply hangs free and if someone changes the oil they can knock the hose so that it may rub against a pulley or belt and cause a hole. I had my oil changed at Grease Monkey just a few days before this happened. They now tell me that I need a new power steering pump as well. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • Options
    caboboundcabobound Member Posts: 1
    Imagine my surprise when I found this website and read all the problems people are having with their 2003 Aviator. I've had all of them from cylinder, coils, gear shift and most recently on June 10th when I was driving 1000 miles through the Baja desert and crossing enormous mountains I lost my power steering. Thankfully I was near the bottom of a mountain and had only two long sweeping curves to go. If it had happened 4 minutes earlier I would have crashed because I could not have navigated the hairpin turns I had just come out of. I had just had all the belts and hoses checked at a Lincoln dealer and had traveled only 300 miles. No phone service in the Mexican desert and I got really lucky when two truckers stopped. They spliced the hose, inserted a metal tube, wound some rusty old wire around it and found 1 old clamp. They were my angels. I made it to the next town, and the next morning found an English speaking mechanic who said the trucker did an awesome job but he did replace the single clamp with two and put in a new metal connector tube. Since this was not an isolated incident I reported it to Ford who could care less. This on top of valve problems 2 years ago, steering problems 3 years ago, and coils this year...and my gearshift knob keeps getting jammed up as well...and it just turned 50K miles. I've had it with this car. Oh, and did I mention the cracked liftgate panel? I still love the ride and lthe styling but never again will I buy a Lincoln product.
  • Options
    jorie_4jorie_4 Member Posts: 6
    That's just the half of it, I just hit 100k and have had my transmission replaced 3x in the past year. I also have this loud grunting sound that comes on whenever I turn on my AC. My gear shift also gets stuck, my lift gate has a crack in the middle of the decal....etc. I really think if we all get together and complain to Ford or maybe even file a class action for FORD putting out such a crappy piece of expensive product, we might get some solutions because this is getting out of hand. Please send me your opinions at will372103@yahoo.com.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please note that people routinely ignore questions accompanied by a request to take the discussion offline. Doing so would deprive others of valuable information and tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. Our members prefer to share information openly.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    lesliey1lesliey1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Aviator and when I brake the brakes shutter. I figured it just needs new brakes, but I want to make sure I don't get ripped off, so around how much should this cost? Or does anyone think it sounds like another problem? THanks for any help or suggestions.
  • Options
    albertialberti Member Posts: 2
    Hey Chugz,
    Unfortunately my gearkno already came loose and have tried to put it back one but have no success. any tips? :cry:
  • Options
    hitdog042hitdog042 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at a 2k3 Aviator as a 2nd car. One thing the owner has disclosed is a 7 valve he says sticks sometimes.

Any idea what it would cost to repair? He is only asking 5300 USD for the truck. It has 130K but the engine was rebuilt at 85K miles. Tranny has also been rebuilt at 40K miles.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    albertialberti Member Posts: 2
    Hitdog042,
    It sounds like you are having a good deal but from my personal experience, I will say stay away from an aviator as far as possible....what is luxury if its not drivable? Not that i know much about the 7valve issue, but one thing I know for sure is that, an aviator with over 100k miles will have other major issues you will be worrying about soon. I bought mine 2 days ago and its the worst decision I have ever made in my life. The gear knob is completely out..., I just realized the gear lift mechanism is made out of plastic....do some more research before you make a decision because there are probably other things the owner know about the vehicle which you will not find out until about a week after purchase. Good luck
  • Options
    waamanwaaman Member Posts: 15
    Never heard of it. I have owned my Aviator since 2003 and now has 95K on it and going strong.Never had any major repairs as mentioned. Lincoln engines don't break down. I applied for the extended maintenance and was accepted at a low rate because it was an Aviator. The parking shift lever sticks but that is repairable by replacing the switch under the brake pedal. I bought service manual on CD for $25.00 and was the greatest investment for referencing minor repairs and maintenance. I tow my two boats, my grand kids watch DVD in the back and I purr to the store. One thing, I did all the oil changes for the tranny, AWD gear boxes as recommended and kept it clean. My daugher just bought the MKX and it's out of this world.
  • Options
    Lincoln engines don't break down

No, they don't. But this particular engine does have a design problem that can require the head to be replaced - that's probably what happened here. Mine was done under warranty at 30K. This problem is unique to the 4.6L 4V heads - won't affect any other vehicles.

There are plenty of recurring problems on the Aviators. If you're willing to chance some frequent and possibly large repairs down the road in exchange for a low purchase price - go for it. But you were warned.
  • Options
    bostoncigarbostoncigar Member Posts: 23
    Yes you are right.. there is a TSB on this problem with this engine which Ford is all too happy to fix under warranty. Just becareful that you find the engine problem under your warranty period. Mine blew at 52K miles... just 2k out of warranty and a I had a devil of a time getting Ford to pay for 25% of the fix even though they acknowledge there is an engine problem. That is ok.... No problem. After 5 Fords in a row and more than a dozen in my family, I bought a Lexus. I am done with Ford!

And yes, I have had the stuck shift problem, the fan problem and all the other problems that you have read about here. Loved the Aviator but I have abandoned the company... Ford... as they abandoned me.... and yes I probably tell 10 people a week to stay away from Ford. The $5500 engine rebuild probably will cost Ford several million dollars in lost business from me and my extended social network. :mad:
  • Options
    Very, very few companies would cover a repair out of warranty. As for Lexus - go ask all those Camry owners with sludged engines how Toyota takes care of their customers.

The Aviator was a piece of crap - no argument there. And that's why they cancelled it. But that has nothing to do with the other Ford products.
  • Options
    I know the guy selling. Heres what he has had done.

- engine rebuild at 105k (my facts were off it has 165k on it now)
    - new tranny at 120 k
    - bearings replaced in 2006
    - new radiator in 2006
    - brakes and rotors done few months back

He isn't hiding anything. I have copies off all the major repairs and none since 2006. He has had it since day 1. He bought it new. Aviator is also listed as a good consumer used suv.

I talked him down to 4800. I think thats a decent deal for an engine that has 60k on it.

He has put in 8800 in repairs over 2005-06.

I sort of think it's not a bad deal at all. I pick it up next week.
  • Options
    It has so many miles due to his constant traveling to WV from Columbus.

I had it checked by my mechanic and got a thumbs up from him. He said the 7 valve issue is minor and said he would fix it for no more then 300. But said it is fine not to fix it at all if I so chose.

Otherwise its in close to perfect condition in and out.
  • Options
    rose7531rose7531 Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem as well. I ended up replacing all the brakes and pads $1000.00.
    Sounds like the brake drum/or drums is warped.
  • Options
    fordsnomorefordsnomore Member Posts: 5
    The Ford mechanic told me there are all kinds of recurring problems with the Aviator. The timing chain is just another problem because of PLASTIC PARTS!

It cost me over $3000 to fix and none of my letters to Ford were even answered. Not even a "we got your letter" response.

Because of this, I advise everyone to avoid Ford products. I drove them for over 30+ loyal years and this is their non-response.

NO MORE FORDS FOR ME, MY FAMILY, MY FRIENDS AND EVERYONE I CAN TELL THIS STORY TO!
  • Options
    Why do you think they quit making them 3 years ago?
  • Options
    waamanwaaman Member Posts: 15
    It tuned out to be a corroded parking brake shoe. I had the same noices.
  • Options
    shadoowwshadooww Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I own a 2005 Aviator. For the past couple of days I've been experiencing a really annoying problem with my liftglass. For no reason whatsoever, while driving, it decides to release itself. Up until now it has been annoying more than anything...it happens about twice a day and on sidestreets so I just pull over and close it. Today, however, it happened while on a major street and didn't just release but actually opened all the way up. So here I am driving 70km/h and my liftglass suddenly flies open!! Now I see this as a serious problem as it could potentially damage the liftglass or, in a worst case scenario, get torn from the car and possibly hit another car (I use a high speed highway everyday to go to work...God forbid it should fly open while doing 120km/h!!). Anyone have any idea why it keeps releasing itself and how (or how much) I can fix the issue?

Thanks!
  • Options
    kboogey718kboogey718 Member Posts: 2
    Same thing happended to me while trying to shift my '04 Aviator, the dealer quouted me a similar price of $1000. I told him to go pound sand. I went to my local art supply store and purchased 1/4" plastic tube and some plastic epoxy and did the fix myself. Total cost of materials, $22!!! And yes, just like you I was shocked to see a PLASTIC rod sticking up out of the STEEL gear shift assembly! That's just poor craftsmanship.

Now i'm experiencieng issues with my engine, which I notice described over and over throughout this forum. It cuts off, or the red light flashes and it goes into neutral and then kicks back into gear which is a very scary experience when driving on the highway. If it does cut off I lose the power steering and have to pull the steering wheel with all of my might to get over to the shoulder of the road to restart the engine. The Ford dealer told me I needed a new coil (after I had just replaced two coils), I didn't trust his opinion so I took it to a Lincoln dealer who said I needed a new alternater and my alarm sytem needed to be reprogrammed!!! Qoute was $800 for this work. I didn't trust the Lincoln dealer either, so I took it to a local mechanic who confirmed my alternator is fine and steered my towards this site so I could see first hand the kind of engine problems that are in store for me.

Needless to say I'm going car hunting this weekend and will dump this lemon on someone else. Lincoln = :lemon:
  • Options
    kendall8kendall8 Member Posts: 28
    I think I have the same problem. How do you fix it?