Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hatethiscar1hatethiscar1 Member Posts: 23
    Along with all of the other problems are Aviator has been having this is also occurring, These are badly made, deadly cars...file a compliant with the NHTSA Hotline Center...these cars need to be recalled!!!!!
    It looks as if you are one of the few that can say this...when your children almost die and your mechanic says you cannot drive your child to college in it something is not right...you are very lucky and have a lot more money to spend on fun things instead of massive car repairs, unlike us.
  • bostoncigarbostoncigar Member Posts: 23
    I had the engine blow (Cylinders 7&8) at 52K.. just 2K out of warranty. (You will see earlier posts from me on this) This is a known problem with this high performance engine but Ford won't support a recall. I had to push Ford to support the repair. They paid 2/3rds probably because I had some personal juice with Ford. I drove it to 77K and sold it . Driving a Lexus RX-350 now. After 5 Fords, Ford let me down and I bailed. Bought the Lexus as a 1 year CPO. It has a 100K warranty. The Ford, I bought brand new... as all my other cars. Cannot beat the CPO concept. I saved 12k vs. brand new.. have a better warranty than a new car and car has been fine other than a rear wheel bearing which was under warranty.

I have given up on Ford... prefer to drive American and support USA workers! My Lexus is made in Ontario which is the 51st state. I won't buy a daily driver car unless made here in USA with 50%+ North American content. Plenty of the foreign manufacturers make here in the states! Ford has 6/10 of the best new cars for new car quality according to the latest ranking but they screwed me on a $54K (SRP) Lincoln. If they screw the Lincoln owners.. how do they treat the Ford owners?

I cannot imagine why you are putting more money into this car. Your trade in value is not much more than what the last repair was. Dump it and buy a CPO car. Of course these problems are an advertisement for leases which I have never done. I guess I am not smart enough!
  • aviatorguyaviatorguy Member Posts: 11
    My Aviator (2004 w / 53k miles) was just diagnosed with a rear main seal leak. Right now it's small.... a couple of drops of oil a day. The dealer wants $700 to replace. I'm not going to go that route yet...
    Questions:
    - Has anyone tried any stop leak product (Lucas Oil makes such a product that replaces a qt. of oil) with any success or that they would recommend?
    - Thoughts on how fast the 5 drops of oil will turn in to 10, 20, 50, etc?
    - Thoughts on how much the seal replacement (I've done some prelim checking and it's pretty involved) should run?
    - Other alternatives? (other than to sell!!!!)
    Thanks folks.
    considering the fact that FMC replaced an oil leak in the block at less than 100K because they knew this car is poorly built should tell you something...this car is a mechanical and electrical engineering nightmare...you should not be having these problems with a Lincoln at 53K...please file a report with the NHTSA because these cars were made with cheap Korean bearings, only made for 3 years and will yours will continue to deteriorate...and cost you a ton of money...they are dangerous...we need to start a recall but if no one complains to the the proper place then nothing will ever happen...
  • nameseannamesean Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2010
    ANOTHER PERSON WITH A BAD ENGINE (64K miles)

I don't know who the guy is who says a "small percent" but I would like to see where he gets his figures. This is simply a known issue they wont fix. THEY should budget for this, not me. Its that simple.

I pay my monthly payment to Ford Credit, I am responsible. Why cant they be and clean up their trash. Don't you wonder why Aviators seem rare??

Can someone please give names and address or post links to files a complaint!!!!

In addition - Lets make it easy for people to file complaints. Lets also post phone numbers if that is possible. Lets be proactive and inform new potential buyers about Fords current policies also. So they know, if they have a problem later, they are stuck, like we are.

I will purchase a website if needed. Websites are $9 dollars on go-daddy.
    FAR less then the 5K engine rebuild. I can spend a few hundred informing people about Ford. I owe it to myself. That is money well spent!! Not fixing an Engine with 65K miles on it.

I paid 25K for my used Aviator (from Lincoln). Now with 65K miles on it - guess what? Yes - Bad Engine.

I happen to run a marketing company with 10 employees whom I use to write press releases and informational articles and reviews. I have a few thoughts of my own, but if anyone would like their thoughts published, please email me at seank422 @ yahoo.com (remove the spaces, I put those there to protect against spam)

Anyone with information, post it!!! I am mad and I'll use my energy to inform people of current policy, not increase their repair revenue.

People - The internet is not a democracy, it's a fragmented dictatorship, lets teach people never to buy a Ford / Lincoln.
  • mrhardiemrhardie Member Posts: 2
    hey guys i having the same issues as far is trnasmittion axle and rear box berrings noice and a O/D light come off, i toguh i was the only one ,no wonder they stop manufacturing on 2005 now they want to cover their back.
    i only drive this truck on weekends its impossible to have issues on a truck bearly drive........
    Finally another person who is willing to take some action to get a recall started...I have sent an email to Mulally and Leitch and got a response back from Ford about the Lincoln NAVIGATOR!!!!!! THEY ARE COMPLETE IDIOTS!!!! I AM GOING TO EMAIL YOU WITH MY PHONE NUMBER SO THAT WE CAN GET THIS GOING. I AM FURIOUS AND FORD KNOWS THESE ARE BAD CARS...I HAVE EMAIL ADDRESSES TO THE PRESIDENT AND HIS GENERAL COUNSEL...I MA A FIGHTER AS WELL...EVERYONE COMPLAINS BUT TAKE NO ACTIONS...THANK YOU!!!
    As I have been telling EVERYONE...complaining to a forum will get no results...you have to google the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRANSPORTATION SAFETY ADMINISTRATION and call them!!!!! They will take your complaint over the phone...this is the only way we will get anywhere...EVERYONE needs to be pro-active...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FMC consists of complete idiots...been dealing with them for almost a year and just got a response back from them regarding a NAVIGATOR!!!!!! WE ALL NEED TO DO SOMETHING!! READ BELOW...FMC SAYS THAT RECALLS CAN ONLY BE INSTIGATED BY THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRANSPORTATION SAFETY ADMINISTRATION....GOOGLE THEM AND FILE A COMPLAINT!!!! IT'S VERY EASY!!!!
    THIS IS THE CANNED RESPONSE....THIS IS COMPLETE RHETORIC!!!!!
    ********************************************************************************- *****

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding your comments with the Lincoln Navigator.

I would like to inform you that Ford and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) work together to proactively identify areas of concern through investigation of consumer and Dealer feedback. During an investigation Ford cooperates fully with NHTSA. Ford does not speculate on the outcome of any current investigation or future actions. Due to our rigorous safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in recalls. Please keep in mind that The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and is the only organization with the authority to order a recall.

Moreover, your feedback is highly valued by all divisions within Ford Motor Company. It serves to provide us with insight into areas where we may need improvement. Your comments will be collected and will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review. We hope that your future experiences with Ford products will be more positive.

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday. Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952.

Sincerely,
    Harold
    Customer Relationship Center
    Ford Motor Company

For online support visit us at: www.customersaskford.com which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information.
  • nameseannamesean Member Posts: 8
    Sorry on the email its seank422 at yahoo.com This forum does not love the "at" sign.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This forum does not love the "at" sign.

That's a feature that inhibits spam harvesters from collecting email addresses sparing our members the indignity of truckloads of additional spam. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lookingforasuvlookingforasuv Member Posts: 1
    I test drove one with 67,000 miles today and was ready to buy it. It had all the bells and whistles i was looking for. I had to go and think about gas economy. I am seriously scared after reading these reviews. It seems like all the cars i can afford used, chrysler pacifica,and the aviator--have a million problems. Not sure if this is the norm or a small sector. What to do???
    whatever you do DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!! You should be very scared...it has tons of problems...one being that FORD used cheap Korean bearings that are wreaking havoc on the engines...our liftgate just developed a crack and it opens at random times...not to mention the close to $9,000 we have put into the engine during the past year...and it STILL is driving horribly and our mechanic told us we could not take our daughter 300 miles to college in it...
    FEEL LUCKY THAT YOU SAW THIS FORUM!!!!!!
  • vangotoovangotoo Member Posts: 4
    I have 04 Aviator with 95,000 miles--love it--no problems--looks great--rides great--works like a truck when needed--tows great--would buy another.
  • aviatoralemonaviatoralemon Member Posts: 1
    Can we say CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT! I'm so done with Ford/Lincoln. Lincoln Aviator is a LEMON!! I called corporate Ford and put in extensions until I got Ray Day's assistant, and she had an account exec. call me back and guess what? They won't do a thing! #8 on my 2003 Lincoln Aviator need engine rebuild--before 100,000 mi. on vehicle. I bought used and did not receive warranty and cannot afford nor feel I should have to pay for a flaw that Ford is aware of and refuses to do anything about. DISGUSTED!!! I had been dealing with local dealership and customer service for several months, and then I found this site. Everyone is aware of the fact that we are being scrwd. I had to spend couple thousand on front end before this engine problem and I am refusing to go any further with money in this vehicle! They can come get it!!!!!!!!!!
    you would buy another one? Yeah!!! Cause I have one I will sell to you right now!!!! It's in "perfect" shape!!! Just send me a message and it's yours!!! And I'm sure there are hundreds of others on this site that would be more than willing to sell theirs to you, as well!
    as I have been saying over and over... the only entity that can start a recall is the National Highway Traffic Safety Standard Administration...NHTSA...I have filed several complaints...If EVERYONE WOULD COMPLAIN TO THEM THEN MAYBE SOMETHING CAN BE DONE...YOU MADE IT TO THIS FORUM...GOOGLE NHTSA AND DO SOMETHING PROACTIVE!!!!!!!!! THIS MESSAGE IS FOR EVERY UNHAPPY AVIATOR OWNER AND THERE ARE MANY OF US!!!!!!
  • vangotoovangotoo Member Posts: 4
    TO hatethiscar1 OK lets go. email me rekresto@aol.com
    just tried to email you at rekresto@aol.com and it got returned...I am at terry_steveatcomcast.net...the at is the symbol...I know this forum doesn't allow it...I used the symbol on yours but it got returned...
    You can make your email address visible in your user profile to other Forums members. Otherwise, we prefer that you not include your email address in postings to the Forums. Thanks. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    did you get my message with my phone number??? I can provide the Alan Mulally's, CEO and David Leitch's (Mulally's personal counsel) emails when the time comes...kinda using it as leverage right now...hate these pompous jerks!!!!!
    how do I do that????
    Click on the "Community Profile" link near the top of this page over on the right side. You'll see an option to make your email address visible to other members.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    did you get my email? Would love to hear from you....
    Thank you for filing your safety-related complaint via our Web site or our Vehicle Safety Hotline. The ODI Number listed below will be a direct link to your complaint as soon as it is ready to view. Please allow at least two business days for approval and processing before trying to view your complaint online. You will then be able to view it and search any associated documents.

Your complaint information will be entered into the NHTSA vehicle owner complaint database. NHTSA technical staff review this information to identify potential safety problems. While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends. Also, the NHTSA complaint database provides valuable information to other consumers and to manufacturers.

If you have any questions regarding this complaint, please contact ODI:

By phone: 1-888-327-4236 8:00AM to 10:00PM Monday-Friday
    TTY: 1-888-424-9153
    Have your ODI Number available.
    (Spanish-speaking operators available)

By e-mail: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/contact.cfm
    Indicate your ODI Number in the contact form.

Thank you,

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
  • aflntrprzaflntrprz Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Did you fix the shifter pin problem? Can you let me know. I have same problem now!
  • mrhardiemrhardie Member Posts: 2
    no what a waist of money and time i had it park inside garage :-(
    HERE ARE THE EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR ALAN MULALLY AND HIS POMPOUS ATTORNEY....EVERYONE NEEDS TO LET THEM KNOW HOW UNHAPPY THEY ARE!!!!! ALSO, SEND A SIMPLE EMAIL TO THE NHTSSA...WE HAVE TO HOLD FORD ACCOUNTABLE...KEEP SENDING EMAILS!!!!! If the email addresses get changed by the forum guys...they are just the names with the standard "AT" symbol at ford.com

amulally@ford.com and dleitch@ford.com

as I have been saying over and over... the only entity that can start a recall is the National Highway Traffic Safety Standard Administration...NHTSA...I have filed several complaints...If EVERYONE WOULD COMPLAIN TO THEM THEN MAYBE SOMETHING CAN BE DONE...YOU MADE IT TO THIS FORUM...GOOGLE NHTSA AND DO SOMETHING PROACTIVE!!!!!!!!! THIS MESSAGE IS FOR EVERY UNHAPPY AVIATOR OWNER AND THERE ARE MANY OF US!!!!!!
  • lemonaviatorlemonaviator Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, i have an 04 Aviator and it is fast approaching 46K miles on it. I seem to be noticing some hesitation when accelarating up any hill or bridge. No Check Engine lights yet but we also hear a constant clicking/ticking noise if we are driving down an alley with the windows down ( sound reflection i guess ). Anyhow, i'm thinking bad coil or head damage which could potentially lead to an engine replacement. my question....will Canadian Lincoln dealers also offer AWA? this truck is originally from the US, Palm Springs. I bought it with 20K miles on it and so far it's been very good to us but the future isn't so clear!! ANY PROGRESS ON CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT!!!!!!
    Can you tell me what AWA is? As far as a class action law suit is concerned...I have posted how to get in touch with the the NHTSSA, I have been forwarding all of these comments to them as well as Alan Mulally and David Leitch at FMC. I feel that I am doing as much as I can to help everyone but I need help!!!!! I have posted both Mulally's and Leitch's email addresses so everyone can write to them. If people do not make proactive moves...and I am doing as much as I can to make it easy for everyone...then we all will have bought $50,000 Pintos. PLEASE... COMPLAIN TO THE ENTITIES THAT I HAVE PROVIDED...POSTING A COMPLAINT HERE WILL DO NOTHING...I have just been told that our rear "pinion" is going out...can't dump it yet cause the re-sale value is lower than what we owe...MAKE FMC RESPONSIBLE FOR IT'S POOR ENGINEERING DESIGN FLAWS!!!! THEY KNOW IT BUT ENOUGH OF US HAVE TO COMPLAIN OR THEY WILL CONTINUE TO IGNORE US!!!!!!
  • jacqueusijacqueusi Member Posts: 55
    Wow, I can't believe how long I've been posting to this forum. Thank goodness it exists as I've experienced so many similar issues as the rest of you.

I haven't read of this one yet, but my local dealership gave me a possible cause.

Our '04 Aviator (92K miles), when I turn on the driver's side AC or Heat seat settings it will light up, but after 8 seconds it will turn off. The passenger side works fine. Once again AC or Heat will yield the same result. Also, the switch will not activate again until I restart the car.

Does this sound familiar? I thought it might be a bad switch but the service tech I spoke to thinks it's a broken element. How much is the fix?

Thnx in advance.

PS The plastic piece on my rear window hatch just recently cracked. Marvelous.
  • fordsnomorefordsnomore Member Posts: 5
    My driver's side heated seat did the same thing at 40,000 miles. They fixed it. Then it went out again at around 80,000 miles. They fixed it. Then at 103,000 miles (I drive a lot of Interstates) it went out and they said it was out of warranty. I wrote to Ford and got no response. I wrote them again. 4 months later I got a form letter saying that it was out of warranty and wouldn't help me even with half off. Wheel bearings are the same problem - replaced 3 times. Now it's the second cylinder coil I need. No more Fords - after 30 years!
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Right - because every other auto mfr would provide warranty repairs after 103,000 miles........

The aviator was a disaster which is why they killed it. That's why Ford's quality now rivals the imports.
    Just spoke to my buddy last night about his '04 Acura TL. Starter went out on it after 130K miles. Dealer wanted $450 to replace it. After he mentioned all the work he had done at that dealership the service rep spoke to the manager and they dropped the price down to $150.

Not bad.

Speaking of Ford, I took the Aviator to the local Ford dealership, mentioned a burned out tail light bulb while having other maintenance work done. When I picked up the car, I realized they charged me $30 to replace the bulb! YEESH.

fordsnomore, what was the diagnosis for the seats? What was the estimate for the repair? Thanks!
  • aviator11aviator11 Member Posts: 1
    I have over 135,000 miles on my 2004, never had a single problem all standard maintance. Reading this blog has me worried. My transimission is shifting a little rough these days (Still drives good and getting same MPG). My question is do these blogs attrack the unfortunate few or should I be worried. Love this SUV, and has me thinking of sticking with Ford.
  • waamanwaaman Member Posts: 15
    I have 111,000 miles and still going strong. No big issues except for rear bearing and front ball joints replacment at 105,000. STill rides great. Thinking about new Lincoln Car.
  • terry645terry645 Member Posts: 16
    I agree...my 04 has 145k on it. Had to replace a couple of hub assemblies
    last year, but other than that, nothing major...just the usual annoying things that you get with all cars.
  • lsc0524lsc0524 Member Posts: 1
    '2003 Lincoln Aviator - The car rides fine when placed in drive. However when I come to a complete stop and shift into the park, the SUV cuts off completely. First the battery light on the dash comes on and then other lights follow and the SUV shuts down. In order to restart, I just crank back up and it works perfectly. What could be the problem???'.

:cry: PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
  • mongo1mongo1 Member Posts: 49
    Akirby is right. No automaker, or any othe manufacturer of machinery in their right mind would offer a lifetime warranty on their product. I think the "new" 100,000 mile drivetrain warranties are about as close as it is ever going to get, and that only covers drivetrain for the most part. My 2004 Aviator did the head gasket thing last month at 60,000. Thanks to ESP, Ford swallowed all but fifty bucks. Total bill was over $7,000.00 I just re-upped the ESP to 100,000 miles. If you are going to own a vehicle with this much technology, you better have insurance.
    I got the estimate back from the dealer. The seat blower wasn't working. $200 for the part and $150 in labor. The back hatch was another story, $1,000 and the dealer admitted they've seen this before. Can live with the cracked hatch for now, heated seats in 12 degree weather and cooled seats in 100 degree are a necessity :-)
    I understand Akirby's point of view, but I don't believe the issue is the car warranty, but the seat repaired being done in multiple 40K and less increments. Is warrantying a repair fair?
  • western73western73 Member Posts: 1
    My front passenger seat doesn't do anything when the A/C-Heated seat button is pressd besides the button lights up! Guess i'm looking at a $350 blower too. As for the cracked hatch, I have the problem as well on my 2003 Aviator. Purchased the vehicle used in August 2010, and it cracked in November. I don't know how the original owner had the vehicle for 7 years and never cracked it. I see a lot of Mountaineers and Explorers with the cracked hatch around my town as well.

For having the vehicle for 6 months, I am not impressed with my first Ford product due to the issues I'm experiencing with this Aviator.

1) AC/Heated Seat doesn't work
    2) Cracked Hatch
    3) Rear window washing fluid doesn't pump
    4) DVD Player rarely reads the DVD
    5) Very Sporadic flashing service engine soon light and hesitation (will not shift when doing this) - (Has only happend twice)
    6) Gas Guage doesnt move sometimes, and digital gas miles to empty doesn't read
    7) Door sensors think door(s) are open when they aren't
    8) Constant drifting left to right while driving on the right side of a highway! Only the right side

I can say that numbers 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, and 8 have occured in the past 4 months, or else I would have never purchased this vehicle!
    I had the same problem with the Heat/AC & the Door lock switch. I removed both switches and found them to be dirty. (Cofffe, goodies etc). (Use a paint can opener to remove switches). Cleaned them with electric circuit cleaner and then let dry. Has been ok for 1yr now. Hope this helps.

I also found that disconnecting the battery terminal for about an hour helps on reseting certain crazy conditions. (I also charged it at the same time). E.g. CD door stuck open, certain dash board errors, etc. Static electricity can cause many crazy problems.

110,000 miles and still going strong. Must do required maintenance.
  • hstsuxhstsux Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    #6 I had to change the sending unit in the gas tank, might as well change the fuel pump at the same time just to save the extra labor charge just incase the pump goes soon after.
    #8 mine was pulling to the left and we changed the left outer tie rod and left lower ball joint that tightened the front end up. You might need an alignment.
  • hstsuxhstsux Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    I just lost second and fifth gear. This was caused by the 2 servos had cracked in the transmission also the holes for them to sit in are in the aluminum houseing and Ford say's just replace the housing. Hey right and have the same problem later. The tranny place did a mod by boreing out the holes and put in brass bushings,2 new servos and a shift kit. It works better then ever. The front drive shaft did cause problems on removal, the trunion that mounts to the transfer case was seized had to get another one. the tranny should not lag when shifting it should go to the next gear without any hang ups.
    Good luck
  • coreykelly88coreykelly88 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my 04 Lincoln Aviator. A few days after we bought it, it started acting really weird. It feels like it stuttering... i mean jumpy a little bit.. When you first start it, it runs fine. But once the engine gets hot, it starts the stuttering thing. So my husband and I both thought that it probably bad gas, so we go the more expensive gas and it, it still happening. Im not sure what the hell is going on, but i have already put about 500 dollars into this car and i havent had it but 2 weeks.. I have had 3 mechanics look at it and NO ONE can tell me what is wrong with it. They put it on the computer and everything came back fine. Someone please tell me this has happened to you, and what did you do to fix the problem.. please help! Please!!!!
    I'll put money it's the engine coils. You explained a similar experience I had when a few of our coils went bad almost perfectly.

Best bet for a proper diagnosis is your local Lincoln dealership.
    I have 111,000 miles on my 2003 Aviator. I had something similar and found it to be a defective spark plug coil. Each spark plug has its own coil. You can find them on ebay motors. It's might be worth the try. Did you replace the spark plugs? Since the engine is 303HP it requires high test only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-COIL-PACK-IGNITION-LINCOLN-CONTINENTAL-CAR-PA- RT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aLincolnQ7cModelQ3aAviatorQQhashZitem2c5bd56846- QQitemZ190519273542QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
  • fordsnomorefordsnomore Member Posts: 5
    Cylinder coil. Each spark plug has one. I've replaced several.