Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dalesatterdalesatter Member Posts: 4
    It sounds like your shift knob came loose. The spring that works with the big chrome button on the knob has probably come out. You are going to have to dismantle part of your console to put it back together. You start by pulling the one plug on the backside of the window switch housing inside the storage bin and just under the console storage bin lid. After pulling that single plastic plug the switch housing pops off. Just grab it and pull up. Now you will see two screws that hold on the cup holder housing. Remove those and pull out the cup holder housing. Now you should be able to see the shifter mount. Pull the leather down away from the chrome ring below the shift knob. Pull the chrome ring down and you will see a screw or where the screw is supposed to be. It is probably gone but needs to be found or replaced. There is a small wire attached to knob and under knob is a spring that sits in the middle of the shifter shaft. There is a white plasit clip stuck up on the underside of the knob that needs to be pulled out with a little screw driver of something to get the silver plastic cap of the knob. Put the spring back in place so button works and reassemble. Make sure little wire is still plugged before you close it all back up.
  • jenny28379jenny28379 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the advance trac. The dealer thinks I am crazy, but I have had nothing but problems since I bout my 04 in June. the headlights sometimes do not work. The air conditioning blows hot air to the back, Sometimes it won't even start. It will make a loud noise. I was told that I must be holding the key to long and not releasing it when I start it. I don't know what to do. It has been in the shop more than half of the time since I bought it. they have replaced the entire air conditioning system and it still does not work properly.
  • bluesrx9bluesrx9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 navi that has not been started in almost two years. I put a new battery in but am afraid to start it because of bad gas. Should I syphon the gas out first. O can I ride it to the gas station and fill it up with good gas. any suggestions? Can I start this thing up with no issues?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The fuel needs to be totally drained and replaced - no doubt about that. Change the oil and oil filter and flush and replace the coolant. Check the tranny fluid - it's probably ok. The brake fluid may need replacing, too. It absorbs water over time. Probably wouldn't hurt to remove the spark plugs and spray a little bit of oil in each cylinder. I'd remove the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine over slowly a few times before actually cranking it. 2 years is a long time, especially if it's been outside. If it's been in a garage then it might not be that bad but you must change the oil, fuel and associated filters.
  • c3charc3char Member Posts: 1
    my 03 navigator,(53,000 miles) starts up, drives good but sometimes when I stop at a stop light while in drive
    car shuts off, put in in park and turn key and it
    starts right away, and no more problems that day, maybe a week later it happens again. Had car checked,first changed cam sensor, then tune up engine, then changed fuel pump, and
    last changed oxygen sensors, but still problems.
    anyone know what could be wrong.
  • midnightrider2midnightrider2 Member Posts: 1
    my 03 navigator wont start. i have about 50k miles on it. It started two days ago when i would turn it over once nothing happened, then the second time it would just start up right away. Then, yesterday while my fiance and i were out looking for wedding reception sites, when we were leaving on of the places, when i turned the key over it would just make and annoying buzzing sound. The sound seems to be coming from the fuse box on the passenger side. I was looking in there and pushed on the relays. on seemed to be loose and it started right up. Later that night same thing, but it has still yet to start. I pulled all the relays and stuck them back in....still doing it. warranty just expired and i dont want to pay my stealer to fix it. It seems to be something simple? maybe not.....any help?
  • tyler10tyler10 Member Posts: 4
    i had the same problem you just have to look under the steering wheel on the floor its on the panel if your laying on your back looking up
  • dondazdondaz Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 2006 Lincoln Navigator. After a couple of days I started to notice that every time I went to start up the ignition, it would make a weird grinding noise. It sounded as though it was having trouble starting. This noise can only be heard when the suv is started first thing in the morning. After that, the noise will not be heard again until the next morning when I go to start it up. I took it to the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with it. Can someone please help me?
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    Let me try to describe what I think you're hearing - In the morning when you first start the vehicle you hear a fairly loud grrrrpppp kinda sound? The car starts and the sound just as quick goes away? It's not a problem to start the car, it's just you hear this 'extra' noise. And it happens only the first time you start it that day? If this sounds right, then I'll ask - do you run the A/C regularly? I'll bet the answer is yes, after all it is summer. If all this is true then what you're hearing is A/C fluid being forced out of the compressor. I know you think this sounds implausible, but its probably the correct diagnosis. You could verify this by turning the A/C off for a couple days and see if you still get the noise.
    If this is the situation, Ford says it's not a problem and there's no fix. My '04 Nav does it, as does my service advisors '03, as does my '95 ford van. Apparently it's a Ford A/C V8 thing.
    Good luck and enjoy the Nav. There isnt anything much better out there, long as u can afford the gas.
  • tonynbarbtonynbarb Member Posts: 25
    04 every once in awhile will get a thumping noise at start up. Ford said it was a new ac air compressor design that was causing it.
  • nash6768nash6768 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 04 navigator
    when i take off it makes a fan like noise and then goes away
    does anybody jnow what this is?
    also my running board make a very loud squeking noise
    but only every once in a while
    i sprayed so wd/40
    and it didnt help
    what sould i do?
  • dalesatterdalesatter Member Posts: 4
    The running boards on my 04 do the same thing, squeak sometimes and sometimes not. I hope someone has an answer.
  • maniac0788maniac0788 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I have a 03 lincoln navigator and while on the highway with a lot of speed my navigator steering wheel vibrates also. My brakes were replaced with brand new brakes and rotors were cut. Rotors were not new. Wheel vibrated before and after the replacements. Any one else have this same issue also?
    Assuming the pads were really replaced and the rotors really turned correctly, it sounds like a bad caliper, wheel or tire or some other problem with the braking system. Try swapping the front and rear wheels and see if the problem goes away. Also check for any loose parts (caliper mounting brackets e.g.).

I assume you only feel the vibration when you apply the brakes. If not then it's a wheel/tire out of balance.
  • eripapitoeripapito Member Posts: 3
    have a 2003 Lincoln Navi with 61k miles. Sometimes when I drive and start going over 45 miles the truck starts to pulls and you can feel it.. it is like it was running out of gas. It happens once in a while not all the time. and it is always when i am at 40 or 45 miles. What would be? The Check Engine light is not on
    If you haven't already, change the air filter and fuel filter. If that's not it have them check the ignition coils. Some 2003 Lincolns got an extended warranty on them. Not sure about the Navigator but the dealer will know.
  • janesummerjanesummer Member Posts: 1
    In the past two weeks, my windshield wipers will not stop running. At first it would come on whenever I turned on my right turning signal, then it would come on randomly and go off after a few minutes. Now, they run non-stop. Anyone experience with this? Any tips?
  • shac35shac35 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 03 Navigator, when i'm driving off, it sounds like someone is knocking on my back window. The rear makes a popping noise. When Im driving, my vehicle sputters and stalls on occassions. Anyone with these problems? Any help?
  • eripapitoeripapito Member Posts: 3
    It happen the same thing to me, but it is when i turn on the rear a/c on the first option. I don't know what is it yet but I will find out.
  • maniac0788maniac0788 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I have a 03 Navigator also. I have the same popping noise coming from the rear. I believe it is normal.
  • jmr6jmr6 Member Posts: 3
    mxglen,

Not sure if this is related but I thought I would share my issue and resolve. If you have no trouble starting your Navi this probably will not help.

problem:

Hello all. The other night after returning home I went back out and my Navigator would not start. Power is there to everything ( or at least it seemed ) but the starter does nothing when I turn the key.

I gave up for the night and woke up the next morning expecting a long day. To my surprise it started right up like nothing happened.

Today it happened again. I had just turned it off and a couple minutes later returned to the same situation. I figured the starter was going out ( I have seen hot starters do this ), but then I realized that the stereo does not work. It worked fine when I shut it off. I am thinking this has something to do with the anti-theft system. Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

resolve:

Hello again.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I found the culprit. I can not explain why my radio was affected by this, but after troubleshooting I discovered the solenoid on the firewall was bad. I was able to remove the lead from the relay switch and hold it to the terminal on the solenoid while my wife turned the key and it fired right up. Ten hours of troubleshooting to discover it was a 20 minutes fix (including drive time to the parts store) The solenoid cost $12. I have no doubt I just saved myself the better part of $1000.

Good luck
    This can't be normal, It also affects the driving. Mines hesitates and sputters when I'm driving uphill, while it still poping in the rear. I mean it literally sounds like someone is knocking on my back window.Am I the only one with problem? Driver seat has went out, and the foot pedal control doesn't work.
  • denhamdenham Member Posts: 76
    Note: First I would check the exhaust, maybe something
    has came loose inside. Water in the fuel will also do this loss of power.
    Dennis
  • coltomcoltom Member Posts: 9
    I was having the same problem - hesitating, window popping noise, etc. It even died on me while I was doing 40 MPH up a hill recently. I thought it was the vacuum hose problem someone described on these boards but instead of going to the dealer this time, I took it to a local person who has a very good reputation. He calls and says he can't find anything wrong with it. He does say the computer is indicating it had some misfires but nothing major. He cleans the coil on the offending cylinder and I haven't had any issues since. Even the window knocking sound went away. This cost me all of $60 to have it rectified when I was expecting to pay hundreds. How cool was that?
    I will try to have the coil cleaned asap. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
  • desparatedesparate Member Posts: 2
    I OWN A 2000 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR. 138,000 MILES. THE TOP END OF THE MOTOR WAS JUST REBUILT FROM THE VALVE COVER GASKET AND RAN PROPERLY FOR ABOUT 6 WEEKS. WE WERE DRIVING AND THE CHECK ENGINE/COOLANT LIGHT CAME ON. WE HEARD A CLINK AND PULLED OVER. WE CAN NOT GET IT TO RESTART. WE HAD THE NAVVY PULLED HOME AND TRIED TO DETERMINE WHAT WAS WRONG. WE WERE UNABLE TO GET THE ENGINE TO MANUALY TURN. WE THEN CONTACTED OUR LOCAL DEALER AND THEY SUGGESTED A DIAGONASTIC CHECK FOR $125.00 TO RESEARCH ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS. THEY CALLED US BACK AND SAID THAT THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE HAS SEIZED. THERE IS NOT ANTIFREEZE IN THE OIL OR OIL IN THE COOLANT. THE CAR WAS OPERATING PROPERLY, NO SMOKING, NO KNOCKING, NO PINGING AND NO LOUD NOISE AT ENGINE FAILURE.

WE WERE QUOTED $7,700.00 TO REPLACE THE ENGINE. THE BLUE BOOK ON MY CAR IS ONLY $8,000.00. I AM CURRENTLY NOT WORKING AND IN FINANCIAL STRAIGHTS. I ONLY OWN THE ONE CAR. WE CHECKED INTO A CRATE ENGINE AT ABOUT $5,000.00 PLUS LABOR.

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS FAILURE? I WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY EASY FIX. IF I TRADE THE CAR IN I ONLY WILL GET $2,000.00 TRADE IN LOOSING A GRAND TOTAL OF $6,000.00.

I LOVE MY NAVVY AND FEEL LIKE A FAMILY MEMBER HAS DIED. I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THE PROBLEM IS THIS SEVERE. WE HAVE NOT BEEN HAVING ANY PROBLEMS.

WHEN THE TOP ENGINE WORK WAS DONE IT WAS NOT DUE TO MECHANICAL FAILURE BUT A COOLANT HOSE CONNECTION HAD BROKEN
    AND IT WAS CONNECTED TO THE BACK END OF THE ENGINE.

PLEASE SEND ALL IDEAS AND SOLUTIONS. REPAIR, ENGINE REPLACEMENT.

THANK YOU,

DESPARATE
    :mad: :cry::cry::cry: :confuse:
    Note: You say the engine top of the engine was worked on
    but did not say why? From what I read you may have dropped a valve as a keeper has came loose. Do not try and turn the engine as it will do more damage. First I would call the one who did the work as you say the top of the engine was rebuilt.
    Remove the valve covers and you can see if it is a dropped valve, and if so it maybe because of poor work you had done.
    Dennis
  • desparatedesparate Member Posts: 2
    We did not have any engine problemss we had a small piece of a coolant line that had broken and the main part was u shaped and went into the back of the engine. Unfortunately, we performed the work.

We are bringing the Navagator home fro repairs. We will check the valves. I wll follow up and let you know what we find.
  • geo233geo233 Member Posts: 2
    i'm new in here.i have a 99 navigator,and my rear wipers are not working.i checked the relay and its good,any advise on what else to check, thanx
  • fomoconavfomoconav Member Posts: 1
    When you lock the doors with the remote control on the keychain the rear lift gate does not lock. You must lock it with the key. Any suggestions on how to fix. Thank you in advance. ( 2002 Navigator )
  • ced00ced00 Member Posts: 3
    My axle is making a grinding sound and making the steering wheel pull to the left.It seems to do it more when going up hill at 35 to 40mph.i have a 2000 nav. Please help :confuse:
    Note: First I would pull the front wheels and check
    the brakes, look at the pads and the rotor. you may find
    the pad is worn out on the inside of the rotor. I have a shop and have had this problem come in. Most of the time it is the
    brake caliper gone bad.
    Dennis
    Thank Dennis But wouldn't i feel the brakes grinding if that was the case? Also it shouldn't do that if i'm speeding up should it? I had the brakes done at midas last year so i'll have them check them 2moro.
    Today I tried putting my nav in 4x4 an it did change over. I'm still getting the grinding sound from my axle also. I had the brakes checked and they are fine. Is anyone else having these problems.
  • jsteezy1290jsteezy1290 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2004 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR AND MY DRIVERS POWER SEAT IS NOT WORKING AND WILL NOT MOVE WHEN YOU PUSH THE POWER SWITCHES ON THE SIDE OF THE SEAT THE MOTORS ARE CLICKING UNDERNEATH THE SEAT, ALSO THE POWER GAS PEDAL ALSO IS INOP NOW AND IS ALSO CLICKING UNDER THE SEAT. IM LOST AND DONT WANT TO TAKE IT IN FOR SERVICE IF I DONT HAVE TO . PLEASE HELP
  • kiki3wkiki3w Member Posts: 5
    I also have an '04 Navigator and the same thing happened to my seat and pedals a month ago. We took it in to the dealership and it cost us $400 to have it fixed!! The part in the door that controlled all of that went bad. At the same time I had to have a new head put on it, they paid 80%of that however and it cost me $1,100. Now as of today one month later something is wrong with my transmission and it won't go in reverse so they are quoting me $2100 to get it fixed. Have you had anything else go wrong with your Gator??
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....I have an '04 Gator, and mine was doing exactly as you described to a "T". I got scared one night when I heard the knocking I thought someone was in my car hiding! While riding in the back seat I discovered the sound was coming from my speaker. I took it to the dealership and ended up having to have a new head. Unfortunately my car was out of warrenty I had about 56k miles on it. But fortunatley for me, the service teck I was dealing with told me this is a problem that Lincoln (FORD) is having with these particular vehicles. I don't think he was suppose to tell me that however and after that they offered me a deal where they would pay 80% and me 20% to get it fixed. Now as of today, my car was jerking when it was shifting gears and wouldn't climb over 50 mph when I took my kids to school this am. When I got back in it at lunch, it wouldn't go into reverse. I had to have it towed to the dealership and now they are telling me there is something wrong in the transmission and quoting me $2100 to fix it. So beware. You need to get your car to the dealership immediatly!!!! You don't want to stall on you in oncoming traffic. Don't forget to mention what I said about the problem and the 80/20 deal. Hope this helps!!! Let me know how your situation turns out. Just curious how many miles do you have on your vehicle?
    HELLO EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM, IT IS NOT NORMAL. I had the same thing happen to mine. It turned out to be the head so far. I had to have the head replaced on mine. The knocking sound stopped but now as of today my car won't go in reverse and jerks when shifting and runs loud and won't go over 50. I had to have it towed to the dealership and now they are telling me something is wrong in my transmission. So far they are quoting me $2100 to fix this. GO to your dealership. Tell them this is a defect. When I took my car in for the knocking and stalling the first time for the head, the service tech told me this is a problem Ford is having with Lincoln Navigators. They offered to pay 80% of the bill for the head, but so far are not offering to pay anything for the transmission problem I am having now. What year is your vehicle and is it a 4x4? Have your dealer look at it!!! Good Luck.
    It's not the A/C. I had the same thing wrong with mine. Turned out I needed a new head. Now I am having transmission problems. Go to your dealer tell them you know this is a defect and Ford is aware of it and you want the deal they gave me. They paid 80% of the bill witch was over $5,000. I had to pay 1,100 of that. That was for the head problem only. This is obviously a defect and they are not wanting to do a recall. They are not offering to pay anything on the transmission problem yet. Good Luck!
    Beware....Same problem here, I ended up having to have a new head, and now I am having transmission problems. Scared what is next. My dealer did pay 80% of the bill for the head. This is a problem with Navigators and Ford is away of it, so don't take your car back to a local guy go to your dealership. Good Luck.
  • stiritupstiritup Member Posts: 18
    I own a 2003 Gator and having the same problem with the passenger side power seat. What do you mean by the power gas pedal is INOP? Do you mean the vehicle deosn't move at all? I want to know what it means so i can check mine to see if that problem exists as well.
    Geez, I came in here yesterday and saw all these messages about problems with an '04 Gator and holy smokes I have an '04 Gator and thought maybe it's time to worry.

Then I see it's THE SAME PERSON POSTING AT LEAST 5 TIMES the same cr_p in different ways. So i relearned my ability to ignore most of what I read on here.
  • splistsplist Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure what these other yahoos are talking about but I do have the "exact" same problem you described . . . sounds like the rear AC popping. Bought my '03 new and now have about 70K miles, this noise started about 4-5 months ago. I finally pulled the little tray above the rear AC out and it is definately something inside the rear AC unit "popping". If someone has real experience with a repair for this problem, i'd sure love some insight. I've looked up every blog I can find on recalls and service bulletins and found nothing but this one.
  • spice1spice1 Member Posts: 6
    I have an '04 Nav and the air suspension is not working. The truck looks like a low rider! I was told to first change the relay since it's the cheapest. The problem is that I can't locate the relay. I have called every dealer I can look up and no one can tell me where it is at. I have also searched on the web but there isn't inforamation on air suspensions for '04's!

please help!

thank you
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Then I see it's THE SAME PERSON POSTING ...

That is a little misleading since that one person was responding in each case to other people who had experienced the same problem. Yes, it's a little repetitive but it's not just one person's wild imagination. In any case, let's avoid commenting on the people and stick with discussing the Navigator. Feel free to scroll past those messages you don't wish to read.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    "Feel free to scroll past those messages you don't wish to read. "

I believe my post expressed my intent to do that.

And I dont think it was misleading at all to point out that here was this one guy saying:
    "Me too"
    "Me too"
    "Me too"
    "Me too"
    "Me too"
    Once would have been enough was my point. Or at least wait a month in between.
  • bigbirchbigbirch Member Posts: 3
    Hey, i have a 2003 nav and suddenly when i turn the lights on to drive, 4wd lights go on and off, check suspension frequently comes on and off and none of the controls for the radio or climate control work properly. Sometimes i need to turn off the lights to turn up the heat! Any ideas what could cause this...weak battery maybe???
    When the lights are off, its fine..i'm thinking about an exorcism:)
    Thanks
    First check your battery ground wires, the battery must ground both to the engine and body.It seems you have a ground problem! You may try putting a jumper wire from the engine to the body as a fast ground test.
    Let me know?
    Dennis
  • bigbirchbigbirch Member Posts: 3
    OK, i unscrewed the ground that went from the neg to the body of the truck. I sanded it and cleaned the area for a better contact. GOOD NEWS: when i turn the lights on, the climate control guages no longer dim like they did, and there seems to be less interference on the radio. BAD NEWS: the temp and fan controls work sometimes, but they take a few seconds to respond...i need to press and hold the temp/fan button for a few seconds for it to respond and change 1 degree. When the lights are off, there is an immediate response. Also, the "check suspension" alert and other panel lights blink on and off randomly.

When you said to "put a jumper wire" does that simply mean to take any wire and hold it on any metallic surface of the engine while touching the other end to a metal part of the body? Is there any other contacts that might need to be cleaned up?

Thanks, but more info would be great!
  • pattidepattide Member Posts: 1
    I do not have an owners manual for my 2000 navigator, can anyone send me instructions or link me to some so I can program a replacement remote I picked up?? Also, how can I find out the code to open my doorlocks using the numbered buttons above the door handles? thank you!