Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• matias_13matias_13 Member Posts: 2
    MY 99 TOWN CAR REAR LIGHTS DONT TURN ON BUT BRAKE LIGHTS DO WORK WHEN BRAKES ARE PUSHED .......SAME DEAL WITH THE FRONT HEAD LIGHTS ....DAY TIME LIGHTS WONT COME ON BUT THE MAIN HEAD LAMPS DO .........HAS ANYONE EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IF SO WHERE SHOULD I START TROUBLE SHOOTING...... :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • countrygalcountrygal Member Posts: 2
    Started last October to shut off when pumping gas. Took to dealership and replaced canister over $300.00 have returned and returned the last that they did was $151.00 to have manifolds replaced and it pumped one time and now you stand and stand waiting for it to fill. Click Click off it goes anyone know how to solve this problem???
  • adjusteradjuster Member Posts: 22
    What exactly is the problem? You are not clear about it.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Suggest you fill the tank much more slowly than usual. You may have to fuel it just above the "trickle" level or adjust the nozzel away from the filler tube.
  • countrygalcountrygal Member Posts: 2
    I can not keep the gas pumping in the tank. It shuts off you have to start pumping over and over does not matter how slow you pump it has a mind of its own. Cant stand out for 20 to 30 minutes to fill the tank.
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    Hold the small plate open in the nozzle restrictor of the tank fill tube with a screw driver and look inside to see if there is an object blocking the flow.
  • biglbigl Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 1995 lincoln town car, when the car is put into drive it revved up before taking off into other gears. I change the trans fluid and filter. Did tune up, plugs, wire and oil. I have a couple of questions , does the 1995 town car has a plug where you can change the torque converter oil, if so I know this need to be done,and is there any type of adjustment for the transmission to make it shift better. Or does anybody have any advice on what could be done to make 95 town car shift better. Or is their any switches or sensor that help the shifting of these car. Thank for all advice.
  • broketowncarbroketowncar Member Posts: 1
    When I turn the switch nothing comes on It just happend like a fuse blew. Does any one know does the switch have a fuse.
    Also you know when you push the switch the enterior lights wont come on.
    But all the other lights work.
    The brake lights and hazards work. any help please
    The torque converter has a drain plug. The transmission has solenoids. It has a torque converter clutch solenoid and two shift solenoids. If these are not functioning properly, the transmission will not shift as it should. The solenoids are at the ends of the electrical wires in the transmission and are visible when you remove the transmission pan. If you endeavor to clean or replace these, be very careful.
    There is a fuse for the headlight circuit. Pull the fuse panel box cover, find the blown fuse and replace it.
  • ajs26ajs26 Member Posts: 8
    My Town Car has a digital air conditioning.

After a tow guy crossed the wires, while giving a jump to my room mates car, it started giving me problems.

The digital stuff still works, but when I have the air on, there's air coming out. Then it stops, and its on and off (mostly off) from there. I'm wondering #1 what the problems could be. #2. Best cause of action for repair #3 Is my problem likely from the crossing of the jump cables on the battery?
  • ajs26ajs26 Member Posts: 8
    94 Town Car

Tires Plus could not detect an AC problem. They said I had an oil leak and needed a steam cleaning to determine where the leak was coming from.

My question: How much would that normally cost for a steam clean?
  • vacuumtubesvacuumtubes Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Town Car has hot air coming from the small side vents when the air condition is blowing cold air from the main vents. Is this normal?
  • vacuumtubesvacuumtubes Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Town Car has a rubber seal on the rear window that keeps slipping up and exposing the entire top of the glass.
    Should I use some sort of sealant to secure this molding?
  • peachpie5254peachpie5254 Member Posts: 14
    Common sources are the oil pressure sensor near the back of the engine and around the oil filter mounting bracket. A good mechanic doesn't need to steam clean an engine to find a leak. Cost to fix both about $300.
  • tutibugs2tutibugs2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 1994 TC Sig. Series. It has been sitting in the driveway because it will go in Reverse but will not drive forward. I know it's something with the transmission. I've heard it was easy to fix and I've been told I might as well buy a new transmission.
    The car would rev up when you pushed on the gas then it would all of a sudden catch on and go. It kept doing this until eventually my husband had to drive it home in reverse luckily he was only test driving it on the next street from our house.
    Has anyone heard of this problem and can it be fixed without spending a lot of money?
    Thanks for any advice anyone has. :sick:
    Having a 94 TC, I suggest you check the level of transmission fluid. If it is low or if it has been a long time since it was changed, change it, including the torque converter. If you plan to keep the car, consider the installation of an auxillary transmission cooler. Heat is the enemy of transmissions. You didn't say how many miles are on your TC, but ours has 132,000 and runs great. ;)
  • tutibugs2tutibugs2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks,
    The transmission fluid was checked and changed as soon as this happened. So, how much does a torque converter cost? The car has 140,000 miles on it. I don't want to invest a lot of money in it if I can just sell it and get it out of the driveway. Don't get me wrong the car is nice but we have two other New vehicles and we really have no use for this one. I figured if I could fix the car I could sell it for more. Have you ever had this problem with yours? :sick:

Thanks for the help :sick:
  • beppo71beppo71 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everyone.
    I've got an 88 signature series with a white carriage roof. Sadly, a semi dropped a couple of rocks on it, and I need to get the windshield fixed. The auto glass guy said that it could be vinyl (which would put no additional cost on replacement), or cloth. If it's cloth, then I have to take it to an upholsterer to take the roof back so he can drop in the new windshield. Problem is, I can't tell if it is cloth or vinyl. Any info would be greatly appreciated, because the windshield will cost $230, but the upholsterer will run about $400. Ouch!

Thanks!
    Didn't intend to imply the torque converter should be changed, just the oil in it. That is usually done when the transmission is serviced.

I don't know what else to say except to sell the vehicle, it HAS to be fixed, so have it fixed and move on.
  • eliteswreliteswr Member Posts: 1
    Hi all

hope someone can give me a little info on what to do to solve this problem. It started about 1 week - 10 days ago. I noticed that the fan would continually run, no matter the weather and the amount of time the car would run. NEVER SHUTTING OFF. Is this a serious problem?? How do I fix this??

Need some help :)

Shawn
  • myra229myra229 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Shawn,
    I have a 1997 tc that does the exact same thing. I had no idea what fan was running but it is extremely loud. It runs when the car is in the garage, all times of day and night !!! It started about a yr ago w/mine. Since I am ready to trade it in, I haven't had it seen about. I am scared to go out of town in it and only drive to work and back. Mine shuts off, but it probably runs ab/ every 15 to 30 min. The deal incentives on new ones are great but I do not think I want to buy another one--scared?? I can tell u that it only has gotten worse and louder over time.
    When the radiator fan runs all the time, guess it could be a faulty temperature sensor needing to be replaced. Not expensive and better than a dead battery as a result of continual running.
  • tlcdrivertlcdriver Member Posts: 1
    i got code "fluel pressure tank" 1 spent almost $200 for nothing. its only 1 place helped me MOE TAXI 718 7529292
    www.MOECTRIDE.com ,/wiring problem they charge me only $40/
  • furleyfurley Member Posts: 13
    it's coming in through the climate control the drain is clogged.
    Check the fluid level in the master cylinder or emergency brake light switch.
    I as well have never heard of a head gasket leak in a 4.6 either. Almost indestructable engines.
    NO NO NO! That's an aux. cooling fan to assist the A/C, it runs when ever the A/C is going to cycle for instance, if you have the climate control in AUTO - FLR/DEF - DEF - NORM A/C - MAX A/C the fan will run. If you set it to say VENT - FLR - or OFF the fan will stop in a minute of two. Ford had a problem with hot engines in prior TCs to 1995, whey found that when these cars sat for long periods of time ideling with the A/C on they'd overheat. What they did was for 1995 - 1996 - 1997 they added this electric aux. fan to assist the clutch fan to prevent overheating. 1998 and on there is only an electrical fan.
  • neauxbunnyneauxbunny Member Posts: 13
    OK this one is crazy. First the cruise control went out. Then, the older set of keys would fall out of the ignition while I was driving. Now, the car will not shift into gear once the car is started. In order to move, I must first put it in neutral, start the engine, and THEN put it into drive.

Is this all related? How difficult would it be to replace/repair all of these problems?

Thanks
    Da Bunny :sick:
  • mhelselmhelsel Member Posts: 11
    just call locksmith to replace ignition switch, it solved
    my problems. meh1019
    Did it fix your cruise and the gearshift as well?

And, I know this may sound like a silly question...is this something that can be repaired without a locksmith?

Thanks
    Rob
    Just called my local dealership.... around $125 for ignition..and $40/hr to troubleshoot the cruise control - plus parts.

Oh joy
    Rob
  • cecil35cecil35 Member Posts: 1
    Dash air vents work sometimes and then they kick out and the defroster-floor outlets kick in .This happens off and on through out my trip with the A/C.Any help ? Cecil.
    If this occurs when under full throttle or climbing a steep hill, it is normal for the AC compressor to cut out, applying the energy to the transmission, but keeping the windows from fogging up just in case of damp weather.
    The A/C system on the TCs attempt to keep the passenger cabin temperature at the setting set on the A/C controller. For example, if you set the unit on Automatic when start out in the morning and it is cool outside, depending on the temperature that you select on the A/C controller, the air flow will be warm and directed at the floor, with a little escaping to the window defrost outlet. If you drive until it warms-up outside, the system will change over to air conditioning and the air flow will come out at the panel vents. As you drive during the day, if it gets cool outside, the system will automatically switch over to heat, thusly the air flow will go to the floor. These system also sometimes exhibit what some might call moments of indecision. The system sips air from outside the car and from inside the car, simultaneously, and trys to balance these temperatures against the value that the driver has sets at the control unit. On some TCs, at the medium range temperature settings, they tend to exhibit the mode of operation that you describe in your post. I don't use the automatic setting feature that often. I typically set the the controller for either Vent, A/C, or Heat and adjust the temperature.
  • adjusteradjuster Member Posts: 22
    Go to Auto Zone and buy the switch for less than $30.00. It is easy to change. It is mounted under the dash at the lower end of the steering column. Remove the cowlings and covers, a few screws, and the switch will be the white box with the plug with lots of wires. Be careful mounting it back because it is easy to not get the pin in the slot correctly and when it is not aligned the screw tabs on the switch will break when you tighten the screws. Do not force the switch onto the steering column, if it doesn't sit properly, it's out of alignment.
  • linc8linc8 Member Posts: 1
    On my 2003 Lincoln Town Car, whenever I'm driving in heavy rain for a long period of time, like on the turnpike, my air bag light comes on a stays on. Once I stop for the night and start again in the morning the light is off. I recently had the car washed in a high pressure touchless car wash and the light came on, but did not come on the next morning when I left for work. I had the Lincoln dealership check it but of course they found nothing wrong and said I needed to come in when the light was actually on. I wondered if anyone had a similar problem.
  • hittmann85hittmann85 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 towncar that was stolen and recovered. They destroyed the key ignition. how much would it cost to repair that?
  • hittmann85hittmann85 Member Posts: 3
    About $60.00 if all that is required is a new key ignition switch.
  • harryw32harryw32 Member Posts: 4
    While driving 70 mph on cruise control I began to lose power down to 40 mph. I finally got it back up to 70 mph. Now when I accelerate it boggs down. I can accelerate slow. I replaced the fuel filter, checked fuel pressure (30 psi) and replaced all four cat-converters. Still have problem.
    The Mass Air Sensor, located near the air filter, may need either replacing or careful cleaning. After ours was changed, we didn't lose power anymore and was able to go back to Regular grade gas. :)
  • ceastwoodceastwood Member Posts: 2
  • ceastwoodceastwood Member Posts: 2
    93 towncar message center reads "CO" does anyone know what this means
  • harryw32harryw32 Member Posts: 4
    I had had the catalytic converters replaced and it helped very little. The muffler people said they were clogged. I was a ford mechanic for many years so I took your advice and removed the mass air sensor and cleaned it with choke and carb cleaner. That solved the problem as it runs like new and the fuel milage came back up to normal.
    Thanks,
    Harry
    Hi Harry, You are most welcome and probably have forgotten more than I've learned about engines and etc. All I did was share my experience with you and am happy to hear the results are positive. :):)
    Euphonium (Bass clef)
  • betaboxbetabox Member Posts: 3
    While awaiting its arrival, I read through all of the posts here. I really appreciate all of the great information!

So far today, I've reprogrammed my Remote Keyless Entry, cleaned my MAF sensor, dis-/re-connected the battery to get it to re-learn the engine stuff, and I've checked out at least a dozen other things.

Cleaning the MAF sensor and unhooking the battery helped the rough idle somewhat, but I'm pretty sure that replacing the off-brand ignition wires and checking/replacing the spark plugs will help even more.

Any suggestions on where to buy Motorcraft / Ford Racing wires?

My "Old" 1993 LTC has 172,000 miles on it, and the "New" one has only 116,000.

Thanks!

-kevin
  • pdesautelpdesautel Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 T/C w/275,000mi. Runs great little noise from the differential (fixed by turning radio up). I need help with the air conditioning plenum door. I've had it and the controller replaced and it still defaults to heat. I love the car. But it is sweating me. Any help would be appreciated.
  • papaapapaa Member Posts: 20
    I will say that you have A gem of an old car. Lets keep them going. The flap for your AC is manually moved by vacumn hose connections. They get dry rotted and have to be replaced. It is not an easy task. You have to get the instrument panel off and get to the back of the control. Don't attempt if your unsure. Maybe you have A local garage or person who could do this from experience. Good luck.
  • pdesautelpdesautel Member Posts: 5
    Thanks papa,
    I was afraid someone would say that. I tried to disconnect cable harnesses to see if the plenum door would open and now I get a 52 Air Bag code.