Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Town Car Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• wicketwicket Member Posts: 18
    my a/c is all charged and no leaks but it will run for maybe 15 minutes and just quits. the compressor is off and i dont know what is telling it to turn off. it cools great when it is running. i wait a litle while and it will work for a while.thanks for any ideas.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    "what is telling it to turn off."

Perhaps the interior temp has reached the setting temp on the unit. When the unit is set for 72 and the interior warmth reaches 72, the unit shuts off.
    no it does not reach the set temp. bad sensor?
  • msledge50msledge50 Member Posts: 11
    Fuse is good head lights work but no park or tail lights :sick:
  • msledge50msledge50 Member Posts: 11
    Fuse is good head lights work but no park or tail lights On a 99 Lincoln :sick:
  • towncar8903towncar8903 Member Posts: 1
    Two weeks ago my 2003 Town Car wouldn't start. I ended up having it towed to an indpendent garage. They had the car for about a week. Then ended up replacing the starter and battery. Now the car won't start again. Anyone else have any similar problems?
  • 99towncarexec99towncarexec Member Posts: 160
    If it's cranking but not starting it could be the crank sensor.If you're getting nothing at all,maybe the fuel pump.
  • maxeybillymaxeybilly Member Posts: 29
    Every once in awhile as I am backing out of driveway I see the overhead indicator saying "Park Assist Disabled." I have looked in the manual and it says that if it is turned off it will default to "on" again the next time the car is started, but it doesn't. Anyone know why or have a suggestion? :confuse:
    Sometimes when you disconnect the Negative battery cable for a few minutes. The electrics resort to default settings. Minor adjustments after connecting the battery is resetting the radio stations and air conditioning controls. The memory in the computer dash may go back to Zero as well. Good Luck.
  • maxeybillymaxeybilly Member Posts: 29
    Nothing has been disconnected. It just started doing this spontaneously. And, if its supposed to revert to "engaged" each time the engine is restarted and shifted into Reverse but doesn't, why?
    I recommend that you physically disconnect the Negative (Ground) wire that is on the battery for a few minutes. I did NOT suggest it came disconnected by itself.

Removing the Negative battery cable for a few minutes sometimes enables the computer to reset itself to the factory default settings.

So, just remove BOTH battery cables & use a battery terminal cleaning tool to scrape the crud off the posts and the interior of the cable connections. The cleaning tool is a .99 item at most auto supply houses. It's a standard item in most tool kits.
    edited July 2010
    i have not had many responses apparently i am not telling you the right information.everything seems to work ok except something turns off the comprissor and it is not up to temmp. you have to turn it off and then it will restart. would a bad temp/ sensor do this and if so why wouldnt it not restart by it self. i have done the self diognoises and it shows no faults. any information you would give i would appreciate.
    When it comes to HVAC, not very many know very much about it. Usually when somebody knows about something, he replies right away.
  • lestermanlesterman Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem on my 99 Town Car. The AC would run for 5 minutes and then shut off. After getting a wiring diagram I traced it to the "AC clutch relay" located in the battery junction box under the hood drivers side. Relay cost me $8.00 at local Carquest store. Hope this helps.
  • cellocitycedcellocityced Member Posts: 2
    This is still a problem for me. There is a modulator in the front door that controls or relay signals to some electricals. Do anyone know of this modulator or will I have to find an auto electric shop to solve this issue?
    I've experienced this before but don't remember the fix.When I put the rear defog on it causes heavy static in the radio no matter what station I'm listening to.What;s the cause and fix?? Thanks.
  • ortautoortauto Member Posts: 13
    Open the trunk and on both sides of the end of the lid, nearest the rear window, you'll notice a hole on each end. Whenever it rains water will enter those holes, and drain from the bottom of the trunk lid. there must be a reason for Ford to have water pass through the lid. Test this by putting tape temporarily over those two holes and pour some water over the rear window. Water will eventually rust the trunk lid, so why are those two holes there letting the water in and can any damage occur if those two holes are simply sealed off?
  • jamj1234jamj1234 Member Posts: 24
    I bought a 2001 Town car and went to tune her up. To access the spark plugs I pulled the overhead bracket that supplies the fuel injectors. After doing the passenger side I tried to start her up and found there was fuel leaking from some of the connections between the bracket and the injectors. Was this a big no no to pull the supply bracket? Does any one think its a simple re seating or an o ring problem? I would like some direction before I move on as I am afraid if the fuel catches a spark I will have a fire.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jack
    My water problem in the 99 I had was caused by the hole in the firewall that allows the HOOD RELEASE thru.I couldn't believe it but that was the cause.I tried everything else first. ;)
    i tried the ac cutout relay but didnt work. thanks for trying anyway. it was a cheap way to try anyway. ty
  • edc60edc60 Member Posts: 4
    At the base of the windshield, passenger side is plastic pan. (under hood) There is a drain with a vertical rubber flap, right above the firewall.
    Pine needles and debris build up under the grill & on the plastic pan.
    The drain blocks fairly easily with big debris.
    If blocked, water seems to enter through the defrost/ac inlet.
    My leak problem was in part the stuffed up area under the hood mentioned above.The real leak was coming in from the hood release cable thru the firewall!!~! Surprised the hell out of me but that was it.No more leak after that got plugged. :D
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    You don't have to remove the fuel rail to replace the spark plugs. What made you think that the car needed a tune-up? You have to properly set that fuel rail back on the fuel injectors.
  • rnrgotornrgoto Member Posts: 2
    what is the dsp button onthe radio for????????
    i have finally fixed my a/c problem. it was the clutch for the a/c compresser. I had to take the clutch off and take out a spacer and reinstall and works very good now.I am guessing that the coil couldnt keep it engaged. just make sure there is enough room to do it and so the clutch still works
  • jimflajimfla Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone replaced the hood release cable? The dealer wanted quite a bit and it is just stretched. I'd like to do it myself if possible. Thanks.
  • adougadoug Member Posts: 6
    I am reading from my 2002 owners manual, DSP is DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING (IF EQUIPPED). It allows you to to change the the signal mode to suit your listening pleasure.
  • mel_pat_2000mel_pat_2000 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 lincoln town car when putting gas in tank it constantly burps back out and can't get it full. It seems to be getting worse. It takes up to 20 minutes to gas up. Any help? Thank you.
    Run a very strong magnet alongside the filler tube out towards the mouth and reach in and secure the metal plug. Or, use the slowest speed of the gas pump to fill the tank.
  • robncandyrobncandy Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. Having trouble with our 2001 Lincoln Town Car. All was fine for quite a while, but all the sudden the air suspension is acting weird and the A/C Blower motor wont blow!!

Air suspension is currently down, there is no ground to the air suspension relay. Friend has a scan tool, he tried and it says no communication with the air suspension. PLUS if you move the fan switch all the way to the top, you hear a Click ( like a relay) but no ground to the blower motor. Hot wire at the blower motor. Clicking is coming from a 'box' behind the engine stuck in the front of the Heater/ Air conditioner box. ONE MORE THING....the IAC motor does not change, won't idle when cold. Friends Scan tool says 0% IAC opening.

ANY IDEAS???? He thinks it could be the computer, but really isn't sure. He also mentioned a wiring diragram to find the ground wires to the computer???? ANY help will be greatly appreciated!!
  • robncandyrobncandy Member Posts: 2
  • dschofielddschofield Member Posts: 3
    I have this messed up problem. About once or twice a week first thing in the morning the car wont start. It cranks forever but wont start up. Once you jump it, it will keep starting all day long...I replaced the battery, shut off the sus syst at night so it wouldn't drain the battery, stopped putting the alarm on, checked the fuses, checked the alternator (it ok), new fuel pump relay. I'm thinking if a component went bad, jump starting it wouldn't work. I hear the fuel pump coming on, and the engine light goes off when trying to start..although during the cranking the elec dash display goes off. Does anyone have any ideas???? I'm pulling my hair out and the mechanic wants to "start with" a new fuel pump.
    WELL,IF YOU ALREADY PUT A NEW PUMP IN,find a new mechanic,if it's just the relay that might help but it wouldn't start with a jump if it was the fuel pump,it would just crank till you killed the battery. I was going to say the crank sensor but that wouldn't answer the question of why it starts when it's jumped.You may have a short somewhere.I'd say try the obvious 1st,which you've done mostly,but try the crank sensor and see if that helps.Have you replaced the plugs and wires and all that stuff lately?
    edited October 2010
    Thanks! The plug wires were changed in the spring..I disconnected the battery last night and am going down now to reconnect and see if it will start. If it does I'll go over to NAPA and get the crankshaft sensor...would I be able to replace that myself?

Okay, reconnected battery, car started right up...that thing is FREAKIN' ME OUT!!!
    Actually it should start for another 6 days before I have to jump it. lol Got the sensor, auto part guy said it's could possibly be a bad ground wire. I do see a black wire bolted to the side of the engine compartment just past the black box says ABS realy, fuel pump relay,, that a portion of appears to have melted down to the wires, one wire inside (red w/white stripe) is also melted through to the copper interior and I can see it..one of those things that would electrocute you if you touched. Think that could be it?
  • bob399bob399 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    I purchased a 1999 4.6 TC in 2001 shortly after purchase I discovered oil in the radiator the vehicle was under at warrantee at this time the dealer removed the engine and replaced both head gaskets under warrantee the dealer said it was defective manufacture of the head gaskets for 1999 4.6 per notice from Linclon , now after 60,000 miles I discovered the radiator has oil in it again, the left exhaust pipe interior is black, the warrantee has expired and sure no recourse, without the funds to pull the engine guess I'll drive the car as is.
  • bob399bob399 Member Posts: 3
    Had same problen on my 99 TC after drying out headlight with bulbs removed (used an air compressor) and blowed softly the air to prevent damage purchased a tube of Dialetic from parts store and added it to the o-ring in the bulb body holder, I live in rainny NW and never had a problem again.
  • adougadoug Member Posts: 6
    Can any one give me any idea what I would be up against if I was to re install my air suspension.
  • caddellscaddells Member Posts: 5
    Against advice we decided to replace our air suspension last year. Got supplies reasonable at Suncore Ind. Work was easier then expected and they are working very well.
  • jimflajimfla Member Posts: 2
    From what I have read, an individual shouldn't try it. Now, that could be the dealers pushing for that. I don't know.

I replaced the air system on my 2000 with a traditional system. There is a conversion kit and I see no difference in the ride. I do use dealer service but when they explained the costs to replace various components of the air system, I opted for the traditional method. Apparently, the bags deteriorate over time and were quite costly.
  • jamj1234jamj1234 Member Posts: 24
    Go with the spring suspension out of a crown vic. I have been told it is about 1/2 the cost and works just fine. I have a 2001 TC with the original air bags still working well. My mechanic has indicated the air suspension will eventually go and he told me he will replace with the spring set up when it does.

Jack
  • kargkarg Member Posts: 20
    2003 Town Car - ever since I bought the car 2 years ago - the fan had a mind of its own and would switch itself to high - despite being on manual and a low fan setting (2 or 3.) I read about the control module being a frequent problem - so I ordered one.

Well - after hours of trying to get the thing out and thankfully a lot less time putting the module back in - I'm glad I saved $$ doing it myself, but wow that was a job.

It is located on the evaporator a/c assembly housing in the rear of the engine compartment - just behind the passenger side rear of the engine (below heater hoses.) The top 8mm was simple to change the bottom one was a real pain. My hands must have been too big - but wow that stunk! I kept dropping the 1/4" socket wrench.

Thankfully - I believe it is fixed.
  • broederbroeder Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Linclon Continental that sometimes run's the A/C when it's cold out. The blower is working and when you turn the temp up inside i just runs twice as hard like it's trying to heat the car up, but the A/C is running instead of the heat. Mind you it doesn't do it all the time. I have not come across anyone with the same issues yet. if anyone knows what it might be, e.i. a relay ,sending unit, or the computers shot. I sure could use the help.
    Thermostat sticking??A/C condenser/heater core??Fluids full that pertain to the heat??
    The antifreeze is full, the thremostat kicks open when it should if the temp gauge is to be belived. The A/C is fully charged and works properly, and I'm not getting any leaks at the heater core or steam in the car when it does work. I had it on auto this morning and the outside temp was 28F and the inside temp was set at 76F and the A/C kicked on max, i can here the compressor kick on.
    The vent line may be plugged up. Try cleaning it out. My 98' did the same thing and the overflow/vent had gunk in it. The problem cleared up after i clean it out.
  • thomas2379thomas2379 Member Posts: 1
    You seem to have a serious front end problem. Any part of the front steering could be failing. Tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, ball joints, control arm bushings, or even the alignment itself need to be looked at by an experienced mechanic. Most shops will do a free diagnostics and give you an exact problem that your car is having. BE warned, DO NOT IGNORE THIS PROBLEM
    !! Failure of the vehicle steering will result in a loss of control of the car.
  • edc60edc60 Member Posts: 4
    Check tire pressure and REAR tires.
    A tire with low pressure (or different diameter/size) can cause this condition.
  • limodrvlimodrv Member Posts: 1
    I have two problem in my 1991 TownCar. The first is that the wiper don't work in all speed only in hi mode. I have changed the Wiper Switch but it is still the same. I have another problem with the climate control that only work in hi mode too and in auto mode only when the weather is so that it has to blow at hi speed heat or cold. So I don't now if there is any relay o computer module that is in charged of middle modes because is to strange. Hope someone could help me.

Thanks
    I had the same problems in my 91.I got a new Heater unit (THE PART IN THE CAR WITH THE SWITCHES ON IT). I got a new wiper transmission too.Both part are fairly cheap,especially if you get them from a junk yard.