Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota TACOMA vs Ford RANGER - IV

Comments

• modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    What's the difference? Wow! 2" in air intake location. The way spoogsite was telling it I thought it was like a foot difference. I guess aftermarket tires wouldn't make up any of the difference. OK I understand recalls now, every Ranger has been recalled 2 million times and the flawless Toyota O times. Long live the ZERO defect Toyota. Rangers ALWAYS fail and Toyotas never break. It's all so clear now. Keep finding those one-sided posts against the Ranger and ignore all good info. Hindspoog, get lives.
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Posts: 1,102
    Scott's ranger is a 4x2. My 4x4 ranger sits at least a couple of inches higher than my father-in-law's 4x2 ranger (looks just like scott's, only with a flareside bed).

Wait a minute! Who cares about intake heights or the number of lugs??? Has this ever been an issue to anyone??? I know I don't lie awake at night worrying about these my air intake height, the # of lugs on my wheels, the number of TSB's put out by the manufacturer, and the rest of the lame garbage that's being discussed as of late.

Let's move on to something more interesting!!!

Any news on toyota building a street performance p/u yet? This seems to be the latest trend with the likes of the Lightning, R/T Dakota, SS/Extreme S10, upcoming Adrenalin, etc... Are they (toyota) planning on jumping into the fray?

Anyone heard on the engine to power the Adrenalin and if it'll be available in 4x4 version? I guess it's supposed to be unveiled at the Detroit auto show as a 2001 model available this summer???

So, when is a Toyota Rav4 vs. Ford Escape war, er... message board going to open up?
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Posts: 1,102
    To me, at least, it seems that toyota is going through the same cycle is sony.

Sony used to build products that would last forever and always perform flawlessly. Now, the vast majority of stuff they build is of poor quality, some even approaching what I'd consider to be junk. They're just relying on their name to charge unwary customers ungodly amounts of money for reduced quality products.

For Toyota, their products a few years back were bulletproof in terms of reliability and build quality (despite the inherent rustiness). Now, they seem to be losing quality and reliability. I don't know if this being done to increase profits (quality=$$$$$$) or if there's some other reason.

The Big 3 went through this same cycle back in the 60s-80s. Quality began to decrease in the 70s to an all-time low in the 80s when the imports were kicking their collective [non-permissible content removed]es.

Ford quality seems to be very slowly getting better the past few years.

I'm not import bashing or anything. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thoughts about Toyota/Ford on the quality issues over the past few years.
  • spoogspoog Posts: 1,224
    Ignore the good info? What do you think we have been posting here?

How are TSB's and recalls and ranger vs Tacoma comparison tests " one sided"? What is your idea of "good info"?

No offense, but you don't bring a damn thing to this group. Quit whining or leave.
    Toyota has had a "street performance" truck for some time now. It's a 2 wheel drive tacoma with the supercharger. IT SCREAMS.
  • cpousnrcpousnr Posts: 1,611
    I did not ask about a street performance truck.

Check the correct post.

Not going to upset you if I point out you made a mistake again is it?

What I asked was for a 3.4 V6 Tacoma owner to explain about the recall for head gaskets that does not appear in the database for recalls.

Just curious, my Intrepid was recalled after I sold it but now that I have the Ranger, I have never had a vehicle recalled. . .
  • hindsitehindsite Posts: 590
    Well you proved all along what I thought. You are nothing.
    The links I'm referring to are when Rangers are flamed for various reasons and on the same links there are people that are very satisfied with their trucks and nothing is mentioned. Your idiotic links of TSB's and recalls are so redundant it's really showing an anal mentality(no offense intended) When I list true aftermarket companies that make true off road suspensions for both trucks you ignore them. When you post many posts from your moronic transmission expert and I dispute his knowledge about Honda and Isuzu SUV's you again ignore it. I may not be adding anything according to you but at least it's not the same thing over and over again.
    Just as I thought all along' you are a petty little person who cries when debated and has such a meaningful productive life that you need to surf the web looking for angry Ford owners. Like I said, get a life loser.
    It was very easy to get the figures since NHTSA provides an actual count for the Tacoma. Now the Ranger is a different topic and I did give a range from 300,000 to two million to be fair. Part of the problem is not all recalls for the Ford Ranger apply to the all the Rangers, and some do apply to the other Ford trucks.
    As for the 800,000 you mentioned in your post that figure is beyond me where you got that. What I will tell you that you might see three recalls for a particular vehicle in a year, but each recall may have a different notification date to the owner. Okay?
    It was 90,000 for that particular year or years. Whatever it comes out to the figure I gave earlier.
    Next time you try to pigeon hole me into a corner you better be on the money. You want to play the wise [non-permissible content removed] and get cute then you better be able to take it.
    It would be nice to move on, but at the same time there has been this constant side impact chatter.
    Well, I did say Ford improved their quality. A good 15 years back I had a Sony walkman it was repaired once and the second time it broke it was tossed into the trash can. I honestly can say I have had much better luck with Toyotas then the Fords I have had in the past. So far my Taurus runs fine and I can not say it is a bad car. Knock on wood.
  • cpousnrcpousnr Posts: 1,611
    Component: FUEL:THROTTLE LINKAGES AND CONTROL
    Campaign #: 99S09
    DUPLICATE NUMBER TO THE 1998 CAMPAING NUMBER
    Year: 1999 Model: RANGER
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 895000

But remember, but as I said that this recall effected multiple vehicles, and even in the Ranger only certain vehicles that had factory installed cruise control and even with those vehicles, only certain vehicles.

As I presented the production numbers for (was it 1996) Ranger at under 300,000 vehicles per year, it is easy to see that the above stated recall numbers include vehicles other than Ranger.

In regard to recalls, I would agree that numbers mean really nothing. To recall 1.2 Million vehicles to put a sticker on sticker the visor that says "Vehicle equipped with explosive devices, airbag, beware." is somewhat less significant than a vehicle that had 5,000 vehicles recalled because it had defective wheel cylinders.
  • wsnoblewsnoble Posts: 241
    The tacoma 4wd weighs about 500+ lbs more than the 2wd version. I still think the 500+ lbs will help you when getting hit. Your loaded bed scenerio has a flaw though. In your example the object is moving with 500+ lbs extra into a fixed object. Our scenerio is getting hit in the side by a moving obeject. The object hitting the Tacoma 4x4. In the scenerio of getting hit in the side you are the stationary object. Your the wall not the object. See what i mean...

"Say 2 identical trucks run into a brick wall, one
    with an empty bed and the other with a bed full of
    bricks. The heavier vehicle should get damaged
    more, due to the extra weight. Why? The frame is
    the same, and the extra weight only adds energy to
    the impact"

Your example is B (Tacoma) hitting A (Object. In my side impact example i am comparing B getting hit by A

Example: If I run into somebody on the side walk while walking, say a heavy man, i have less of a chance of pushing this man then say a smaller man.

Wouldn't you agree?
    -wsn
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    Colin,

I totally concur with your observation on Toyota's declining product quality. As your can see from my previous posts, I have owned MANY Toyotas over the years.

Seems to me that in the early '90s, Toyota discovered that their vehicles were costing too much to build and consumers were no longer wanting to pay a substantial premium just to own a Toyota. Their answer was to "de-content" (their words, not mine) their vehicles, beginning in 1995 with the Tacoma. The rest is history....

The Tacoma & the Camry are now just "me too" vehicles, compared to the high quality of the previous versions. The have managed to maintain product reliability, once the bugs are worked out. Gee, sounds just like the Big 3 to me.

Yes, I'm soured on Toyota, which is why I'm dumping my '99 Tacoma for just about ANYTHING else, except a GM or Chrysler product.
  • Jesse "The Body" Ventura and Rick Flair discuss the effect of rising heating oil prices on the American household.
  • reddogsreddogs Posts: 353
    they shifted production to the US and thats the change.....:0(
  • yeah that is a nice comentary on american workers.. i guess thats what a decent paycheck and freedom does to a worker.
  • reddogsreddogs Posts: 353
    ...but Honda is having the same problems and I'm having trouble finding any J Hondas at any model...
    I really do understand that point you made. As I have said in my post that number of recalls is incorrect as the the exact figure for the Ranger. That is why I gave a low of 300,000 recalls. However, you guys only saw the two million and tried to make it an issue. Didn't I give a high of 250,000 production number for the Ranger? I really don't care about the 300,000 for 1996.

BTW If you check out the notification date on each of the recall for the Ranger between 1995 to 2000? It is located in the fine print. If you still wondering about how I got the estimated figures.
    I had a 1999 Camry and honestly it was better than the 1989 Camry. Anyway the car was stolen and I bought the Taurus to replace it. One thing that I will say and this is subjective is that the plastic dashboard seem to be the harder materials. My 1998 Corolla & 1999 Taco has the same hard material.

Fit and finish match the 1989 Camry. Ride and noise isolation was much better than the 89. Overall, it was a more refine car than the 89 in my opinion. I am sorry about your Tacoma, but hope your next vehicle is better.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    So Hind you turn to name calling again. Seems when you get backed into a corner, and are proved wrong, you come out slinged those six shooters! And you quoted the paint problem in topic 1467, sounded like you agreed with your body/paint person. Once again making excuses for Toyota's declining quality.
    And here is wsn, trying, trying, trying to justify the terrible, the lowest crash test rating of the Tacoma. www.crashtest.com, www.carpoint.msn.com, just two sites to show where the Tacoma sits in both crash tests and reliability.
    Loving my Ranger more and more!
    See you in the hills. And, enjoy that $3K TRD sticker!
    Lets see......The Toyota pretty much dominates every single category. lol!

Ford finished BELOW the industry standard.

ABSOLUTELY MIND BLOWING post Reddogs! Wow!

http://www.jdpower.com/releases/80401car.html
  • trenttrent Posts: 86
    Ratings look pretty close to me for this study
    http://auto.com/reviews/powerlist.htm
  • trenttrent Posts: 86
    Check out top three vehicles in initial quality
    http://www.jdpower.com/releases/iqs050599.htm
  • truck segment reliability TOP 3

Mazda pickup (ranger with a differnet grill) Toyota tacoma
    toyota t100

Seems to me that they are just about the same in reliability from that study...

And the fact that toyota is more Reliable as a whole than ford is no shock.

Spoog.... if that survey is so mind blowing , i've got something else to share with ya... the gremlin was a peice of crap :)
  • Now lets look at what finished HIGHER than toyota in that study..

Cadillac General motors
    Buick General motors
    Lincoln FORD

i will grant that lexus is Toyota.

now the fact that 3 american cars finished HIGHER than toyota just goes to show that Toyota isnt the end all be all of reliability.
This discussion has been closed.