Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

Comments

• adhavilandadhaviland Member Posts: 2
    I need help choosing a used vehicle. My budget is about ten grand. The car MUST be manual, have air bags, and get at least 20mpg in the city. The obvious option is a vw, but I want a bit more power than that. By no means do I want a v6 engine, but vw's are just too tanky. I like the MR2 and 300ZX but they seem a little too plastic like. Thanks for the help!
  • jpallinjpallin Member Posts: 4
    You might try some of the web sites that don't just list a bunch of cars by price or some other feature but actually step you through a process of answering some questions and then making recommendations. One easy and friendly one with no advertising (so you know it's not biased) is MyProductAdvisor.com.
  • adhavilandadhaviland Member Posts: 2
    that website doesnt help with used cars but it did give me some insight. thank you!
  • misfit815misfit815 Member Posts: 8
    I had what I thought were some simple criteria... a silver sedan with a moonroof and a manual transmission.

What I'm finding, as I scour my local area for Civics and Mazda3's and Corollas and Focuses (Foci?), is that no one carries manual transmissions anymore. In some cases (Corolla), I can't even find one to test drive - let alone one with the other stuff I want.

What's the deal? Do I live in the wrong area (Indianapolis) or is this a nationwide thing? How do I get what I want when I can't even get close to what I want without putting money down to get the dealer to bring one in from out-of-state?

I have 9 days and counting until I purchase my vehicle. Given that I had my last one for 10 years, I'd hate to compromise and drive something I don't like for the next 10. Any suggestions on where to look for stick shifts?

J
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think The Future Of The Manual Transmission would be a really good place to pose your question.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Posted there. But I figured by "Smart Shopper", this was the place to get help in shopping for the type of car I'm trying to get. My last car's dead, I'm driving a gas-guzzling loaner, and I'm becoming more and more certain that when I finally get my opportunity to go through the purchase next Saturday, I'm going to be stuck getting a car that I don't want.

I guess, as a follow-up to this, I'd like to know if there's a way to search the same database(s) that the dealers use. I wouldn't mind going to the Cincinnati area, for instance, if I knew I'd have my pick of manuals there.
    It seems you're asking for information about specific makes and models. Our Smart Shopper section is more geared to general issues and not specific models. I recommend visiting some of our Forums dedicated to specific makes/models.

You can browse through the topics in Honda Civic or Mazda3 for example.

I am wondering, however, why there is such a rigid date for purchasing your next car?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Because I don't have the time before then, and I really can't wait any longer. My current car is dead and I'm driving a loaner. I live in Indiana, so Sundays are not an option (blue laws). I work through the week, have commitments in the evenings, and can't do it this Saturday. So, 6/21 it is.

Also, I have not been focused on one particular make. I'd be starting the same thread in a dozen different forums if I went that route. My problem is the same, whether it's a Civic or a Corolla or an Impreza or a Jetta... there just aren't any manual transmissions for sale. One Hyundai lot had one Elantra that I was able to test drive yesterday. Similarly, one Mazda lot had one Mazda3. I haven't found any of the others yet. And in both of those cases, I'm either severely limited in my choices on other options, or forced to order one in from out-of-state, which means putting money down ahead of time, something that really affects the negotiating process.

Make sense?

Now, to bring the original question back... how do you be a Smart Shopper, when you want a manual transmission?

J
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    No blue laws in Ohio...

Kings Mazda Cincinnati has 26 manual-shift Mazda3s..

Good luck!

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You can try Please help me decide between... There just really isn't enough traffic for your type of question to have its own discussion, and people who have opinions will definitely see your question there. Unfortunately, regardless of time constraints, we can't make people answer any more quickly than they choose to do so!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Awesome info - thanks!

Now, how did you come across that? Are you in the Cincinnati area, or is there some crystal ball that you're not sharing with me?

J
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    Yup... plus, Mazda has a great website for checking inventory...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Doh!

:blush:

Thanks.

J
  • buckyoubuckyou Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I leased a 2006 Passat two years ago - we weren't huge fans of the leasing idea, but the payments were pretty cheap and ee were planning to purchase the car at the end of the lease anyway. We have since decided that we want a slightly bigger car, a crossover. We are now 8 months away from the end of the lease, and we've already gone over the alotted miles. We would like to get out of the lease and finance a crossover, but when I spoke with VW today I was told that they will charge us for prorated miles. i.e. they would calculate how many miles we would have when the lease is up and charge us for that. (on a side note, does that sound like something car companies do? I don't have the contract in front of me but I'm definitely going to be reading it through when I get home.)

My question is, is there a way around this? The plan we had was to roll the rest of the eight payments into the financing of our new car, thinking that this would at least save us the miles overage payment. Now that we know we're going to be paying for the miles regardless of when we turn it in, we kind of feel our only option is to take the car through the lease, pay the overages then, and move on to financing.

Any advice as to how we can avoid the above scenario?
  • fandiguyfandiguy Member Posts: 101
    You posted this quite a while a go, but hopefully this can help someone else in the similar situation.

I'd call VW and find out what the current buyout would be on your passat; the amount they would need to release the title to you. Once you have that number, treat it as if that's a loan payoff, see what you could get as a trade in, or see if you could sell it for at least that amount. Mileage penalties won't apply because you won't be giving the car back to VW. Even if you trade in and owe a little more than the buyout, it might still be a better deal than rolling in 8 lease payments and paying mileage fees.
  • alejandromalejandrom Member Posts: 39
    1) Narrow down your choices befroe you come in. Basically, get a clue befroe you decide on driving inventory and asking professional salesmen for their time. When you are asked if you are looking for a car or an SUV....have an answer. A shrug of the shoulderasor an "I don't know" isn't an answer a grown up human being would respond with.

2) When you walk on the lot don't act surprised that a salesmen is asking if you need assistance. It's their job. And if you object to salesmen then come out to the dealer on Sunday (in illinois we are closed on Sunday). You will have all the time in the world to "look" at cars. Or better yet...you could always go to the mall and check out cars there. It's a perfect place, great selection, no salespeople etc etc.

3) Only 3 test drives per person. No exceptions. And if you want to drive 3 on a saturday then you gotta buy something.

4) So you didn't buy a vehicle and you think it's OK to not respond to the salesperson when he calls to follow up.That's a no-no. You drove 4 cars on a busy saturday and asked about different trim levels, accessories, and a wide variety of buying questions. You didn't buy and that's OK...I can live with it. But when I call you back you think it's cute to NOT respond. It's not cute. I don't care if you don't want to buy but TELL ME so I can take you off my list.

These are just a couple of tips I wanted to share as a sales person. I will come back later and share some more.
    When you do, please post in one of the other discussions on this board. You can see a list here:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee9c367/

This particular discussion is only for suggesting new topics.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 03cobra03cobra Member Posts: 37
    With these trying economic times, what are the phenomenal deals on new or slightly used cars that really stand out as values. Are there deals on American cars inlight of their financial troubles? Or are there an overabundance of fuel efficient cars that are not selling because of the drop in gas prices and recession.
    Have a look at Buying a Car During the Credit Crunch.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • StoleStole Member Posts: 6
    Any recommendation on honest dealers or dealers to avoid will be appreciated.
    You may find Dealer Ratings and Reviews helpful.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mattygumpmattygump Member Posts: 3
    I can't seem to find where I would post a discussion about shipping cars? More specifically, whether, because I'm moving from NY to CA, I should buy in NY and ship to Cali, or buy in Cali over the phone before I get there. The hitch is that I need the car immediately once I get there (well, within a few days). Any ideas where to post?
    One consideration is that California has tougher emissions standards than other states, including New York, so the vehicle you purchase will have to conform to those standards. I think the quickest way to get the information you need would be to post your question in the Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer? discussion.

Let us know how that works. We could set up a dedicated discussion if that response is inadequate.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • caradguycaradguy Member Posts: 1
    What does the traditional July/August sales event period mean to you? Why is that the time all the manufactures have an "event"?
    Several of our make/model specific discussions have an "events" topic. If the model you're interested in does not already have such a discussion, please feel free to start one of your own.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fasbirdfasbird Member Posts: 1
    Oh Wow,

I've been reading about the current situation where the new car dealers, and manufacturers of course, are offering new cars cheaper than a one-year-old car of the same make and model. This is so dumb it makes my teeth hurt!

Come on folks. There are thousands of dealerships who make more money on their used cars than they do on the new ones. There are tens or hundreds of thousands of folks for whatever reason want or really need to sell their used vehicles. You may be certain that most of these people will figure out that they have to lower the price of their used cars in order to sell them against new vehicle prices. They will do this in a big hurry. There just is no choice. It will be price lower or don't sell, well, except to really dumb buyers. Indeed, it is likely that used prices are already falling.

The falling price of the '08 models will bump the '07 model price down and right on down the line. Just hang on 30 to 60 days and you will see a big fall in used prices. The fun part is that we will then discover that this entire scam was developed and executed by new car dealers to attract attention to the big discounts on new '08s and '09s.

Oh, I have this terrific ocean front lot for sale in Nevada.

Fasbird
    Exactly what topic are you proposing? You may be interested in one of the discussions in Automotive News & Views

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    If the Cash For Clunkers Bill passes what effect will it have on the small used car lot's? My understanding is that the consumer will have a voucher for $3500-$4500 for there old car. Once the dealer takes in the car it goes to a central collection point where the block and tranny are removed and the car is destroyed. This will make a good $2K-$3K car non exsistent.
    You might be interested in this discussion: A National "Clunker Plan" - Good or Bad Idea?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Is there a discussion on CVT transmissions anywhere? If not, I would be willing to contribute financially to have one set up.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    We have several make/model related discussions on CVT such as Nissan Altima CVT and 2003 Nissan Murano CVT (Transmission). A discussion could be set up for a make/model that you are interested in.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    But first you need to discuss with Richard the issues with the phrase "CVT transmission".

:shades:
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    But first you need to discuss with Richard the issues with the phrase "CVT transmission".

Yes, it is a bit redundant isn't it. I though many would not know what I was talking about if I just wrote CVT.

But, I did get the answer I was looking for on that link tidester provided. The CVT can't be rebuilt, the whole thing needs to be replaced to the tune of 5 or 6 thousand. I had asked in several other forums for the cost to rebuild. I thought it would be minimal, just replacing a couple belts or something. Really dampens my enthusiasm a bit in buying a NIssan Altima with the "CVT transmission". :shades:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • pa356228pa356228 Member Posts: 34
    Bought my 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS on March 31, 2006. Still making monthly payments, apparently I'm still leasing. My car dealer told me after the 48 months is up, if I want to, I can buy it off with $4,853 but my question is this,

Can I still make monthly payments until it is pay off when after the lease is up?

Whoever have SMARTBUY, (it should be on your monthly bill or statement) can you tell more about this SMARTBUY program?
    I opened up a topic for you. You can find it here: Smart Buy Questions

Post your question there and, with a little luck, a knowledgable person will come along and provide the information you need. Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • valentin650valentin650 Member Posts: 19
    Hi, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, please move if I posted in the wrong place.

My question is whether it is better to buy a used car from a dealer or from a broker?

I am trying to buy a used Infiniti M35, but I have a specific set of options/colors I want. Unfortunately, I could not find a car that meets all of my requirements at local dealerships. However, I noticed some ads for "used car brokers". They buy cars directly from the auctions, and thus have a much higher selection to choose from. Has anyone gotten a used car from a broker? What was the experience like?

If I buy a car from a dealership, I can inspect it and test drive it. Also, I assume the dealerships do a mechanical inspection of the cars they sell. I also have the option to get a certified pre-owned car which gets me an extended warranty. However, since the dealers near me don't have the exact car I want I would either have to wait or find a far-away dealer or relax my requirements. I feel that if I go to a broker, I would get the exact specs I want, but I am worried about getting a lemon. Have anyone been faced with a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Valentin
    You may want to give Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer? a try. A lot of salespeople participate in that discussion and they'll provide you with some good ideas.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • valentin650valentin650 Member Posts: 19
    thank you, tidester, i'll move my post there.
  • russ43russ43 Member Posts: 1
    I have been without steady employment since Nov. 2008. Paid my bills, including car payment, faithfully until I ran out of retirement income this summer. Now, am filing for bankruptcy due to upside down mortgage, credit cards related to that, and no job. I will not be able to pay $300/month for my car in one month from now. Must have a reliable car, so could I make a deal with a used car dealer to trade even-up and get rid of large payment in exchange for no payment, or at least a very, very small monthly payment? Help :mad: !
    I hope you're able to find work real soon. I do know how tough downsizing income and lifestyle is. We had started a discussion relating to circumstances like yours earlier this year but it didn't become very active. I suggest posting your message in the Making Car Payments in Hard Times topic as I expect more people are in similar situations now with the recession lasting as long as it has.

Best of luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kasrhpkasrhp Member Posts: 11
    I am looking at a used suv(07-08), and the top two choices are the explorer limited, and the chrysler aspen. I like the Aspen more, but am worried about it down the road due to Chrysler halting production on that and the Durango. From what I gather, The Aspen is a well made, and pretty reliable vehicle. Is it dumb to get a vehicle not in production anymore? It seems like the best fit for me honestly, little bigger than the Explorer, but smaller than Expedition. Any thoughts are much appreciated. I dont want to get burned, but wondering if this is a valid concern. Thanks again.
    I see you found our SUVs board, which is probably the best place. You might also search on the term "decide," as there are a bunch of existing discussions about trying to decide which vehicle to buy.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• penguinheadpenguinhead Member Posts: 7
    It used to be 'known' that some American cars were actually Toyotas; Hondas; Nissans; or Mazdas (....etc...) in disguise......

Is this still a current practice ???

Is there a website (or websites) that has these type of charts / listings / matchups ?

Thank you !!!!

Tooky
    I don't know of any such website, though one may exist.

Yes, it is still done - you might have better luck asking in one of the existing discussions here, like Questions for a Car Dealer. Pontiac Vibe = Toyota Matrix, right off the top of my head.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• shaunpgshaunpg Member Posts: 3
    I recently started a new job and need to purchase a used vehicle in the 10k-15k range that will fit my commute. I travel 40 miles on freeways, followed by 2 miles on rough truck trails to get to a job site. I need a good balance of highway comfort, gas mileage, and off-road capability. I won't be hauling anything except people, so a full-size pickup or suv seems like overkill.

What's my best bet given these restraints?
    You might try posting in What's the best vehicle for my needs? People usually get a lot of feedback there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• verybeegverybeeg Member Posts: 19
    I live in NJ and will be moving to PA in a month. I need to lease a car now in NJ because my new job in PA is starting soon. In NJ, the tax is calculated up front vs. in PA, the tax is calculated on each lease payment. This means, if I lease the car now, I'll be paying the tax on three years' lease payments up front, and when I move to PA, PA will add the tax again to my lease payments. I'll be double-taxed! I want to find out whether there is a way around this. Thanks.
    I recommend posting your question in the General Questions about Leasing Vehicles or Vehicle Sales Tax Questions discussions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bodibodi Member Posts: 7
    I am not a US resident but I have to buy a car in Florida soon, I saw these 'add ons' on a Toyota dealer, they seem a bit greedy to me:

Sales Tax, Title, License Fee, Registration Fee, $799 Dealer Fee, Finance Charges, Compliance Fees and RECONDITIONING COST OR CERTIFICATION FEES are additional to the advertised price???
    I understand what the title, tag and sales tax are but I am sorry if this is a dumb question but can someone explain what the others are please? Thanks.
    Hi bodi, if you post this question in our Quick Question for a Car Dealer discussion, people will be happy to explain each of them and answer any follow-up questions you might have about the US purchasing process.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR