Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs. Nissan Titan

Comments

• prozacaddictprozacaddict Member Posts: 32
    I recently ordered a 2004 double cab limited 4x4 Tundra, it is first class. I drove the Nissan Titan and to say the least, it is very cheap looking inside. Sure the engine puts out 305 HP, but the engine has not been extensively tested as the 4.7 toyota has been. the toyota V-8 has been in production for years and use in the Lexus, it has been perfected to the point that I dont have to worry about any problems that may arise as would be with a newley developed engine. Sure the Titan engine is nice, and I am sure they tested it, but not the everyday testing that has been done with the Toyota V-8. The Titan was very big, somewhat bigger that the Toyota D-Cab, but the bed was lacking. I feel as though Nissan needs to upgrade the interior, like I said above I looked at an LE which the salesman told me was a luxury model, hahaha I laughed in his face. I told him when he looks and sits inside a Limited Toyota, compared to the Titan, its like being inside a Rolls Royce.
    I could not believe the interior of the hyped up Nissan titan. When I sat in it, I knew right then that I was not going to purchase this vehicle, even after driving it, sure it felt tight, but I would say after a few thousand miles unlike Toyota, it will be rattling. With all the hoop-rah about the Titan I was very disappointed at the interior, I cannot stress enough, sure, if someone wants a plain jane interior, they might be happy with it, But if I am going to put $30+ G's down on a pick-up, I want a little bit of luxury to go with it.
    Maybe if Nissan was not in such a big hurry to put the Titan out, they could have perfected the minor details and upgraded the interior a little to be presentable.
    I elected to go non-TRD, for the simple fact, that on the non-TRD, you get 17" tires. The TRD gives you only 16", thats one inch more departure and approach angles, and the ride is a lot rougher. I can add Bilstein shocks to my truck later and get the same off-raod capability, without the smaller tire size and rougher ride. I say save your money and go non-TRD. The Toyota is built tought enough without it, just think back when there were no TRD options. Plus the rim selection on the TRD is selective to say the least, there is only one rim selection with the TRD package, and it doesnt look very good compared to the non-TRD 17" split 5 spoke available in allow color and a graphite color.
  • mtnmanandymtnmanandy Member Posts: 3
    Funny that Edmund's reviews say that the Tundra is the one with the rickety interior...
    Why is everyone so in love with certain brands?
    Thank you for your opinions also, gkatz1...I'm sure the sequoia is what everyone should drive...They're the nicest vehicles ever!
  • jerseydirtjerseydirt Member Posts: 5
    17" vs 16" refers to the rim size, not outside tire diameter. Most likely both wheel options have the same outside tire diameter but the 17" wheels have less sidewall height. So, you get NO benefit for approach or departure angles. Also, if the tire was actually one inch taller it would only raise the truck HALF of an inch.
  • aggiemph1aggiemph1 Member Posts: 56
    not to mention the fact that 16 inch wheels would soak up bumps more than 17inch. the only reason 16's would ride rougher than 17's is the tires on them, which is understandable for the TRD package which I would assume has a more aggressive tread pattern.

prozacaddicct is prob. a pharmaceutical salesman...lol
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    "The bed was lacking" ??? Compared to a Tundra?

And didn't Toyota's "extensively tested" 4.7 V8 have a sludge problem?

And do I hear the whole world laughing in your face?
  • triattriat Member Posts: 121
    my bad! I just assumed you meant TRD as in road TRD. If you intended TRD-Off Road, then my comments wouldn't help for you. I don't have TRD Off Road experience. You can also try tundra solutions
  • toetrucktoetruck Member Posts: 22
    ENOUGH WITH THE SLUDGE ALREADY! Wrong car! Wrong engine ! Old news ! GET OVER IT
    Well first of all if you would read the specs., the TRD option is in fact ONE inch lower on approach and departure angle. It says so black and white in the brochure. Check your sources next time.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've taken a couple of posts down that were simply personal comments. We're here to talk about the trucks, not each other. Let's keep it that way please.

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

Whether you own a Mazda, would like to own a Mazda, or just like going ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM... be sure to stop by and meet and greet your fellow Town Hall users!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Just so everyone doesn't fall for the spreading of misinformation, the 4.7L has NEVER suffered from a sludge problem.
  • jerseydirtjerseydirt Member Posts: 5
    i couldn't care less which one is actually higher or lower. I was just trying to teach you a simple lesson that rim diameter has nothing to do with outside tire diameter, and therefore has nothing to do with approach or departure angles. This lesson was obviously too advanced for you as once again you missed the point.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    how is the bed "lacking"? for crying out loud, man...the toy has a metal box with paint on it...

the titan has a sprayed on bedliner, c-channel tracks, 200 lb. cleats, tailgate lights, 12-volt power outlet, etc...

how is it lacking again???
  • aggiemph1aggiemph1 Member Posts: 56
    I think the bed of the Toyota DC is longer and deeper than than the Titan Crew. Maybe that is what he's talking about.
    Thank you (aggiemph1) it is deeper and longer than that of the Titan. Also for the price of the beefed up bed package that was mention in comment #121, I can get a Rhino sprayed Liner twice as thick for alot less than the Nissan bed option. As for tracks and C-Channels, that is what tie downs and things are for, sure it is nice, but they are not a necesity, and such can be added to standard beds likewise. Besides the PPG lined bed of the Nissan isnt as flexible as that of the Rhino as I was told by a NIssan Dealership.
    how, may i ask, is a spray-on bedliner flexible?

also, you said: "and such can be added to standard beds likewise."

at what cost? less than the nissan option? dont think so, pal.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Need to back it off just a bit more and drop the personal stuff.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation!

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

Whether you own a Mazda, would like to own a Mazda, or just like going ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM... be sure to stop by and meet and greet your fellow Town Hall users!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • dave989dave989 Member Posts: 21
    The Tundra and Titan have nothing on the F-150 ive driven both and its no competition. Japan should stick to making what there good at which is small cars and mini-vans and leave the trucks to ford
    we have a ford AND a nissan franchise in a city with 2 ford plants, and even some ford employees have bought the titan over the f150.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Bedliners that have that rubbery texture and feel are more flexible and will bend and "give" more than the hard, Line-X type. Under adverse conditions, cold weather, excessive vibration, and bed flexing, the hard type liner can crack and peel. It happens a lot more frequently if the bed hasn't been prepped correctly prior to spraying.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Bowke, That's a lot like saying that a Wal Mart employee was seen shopping at Kmart.
  • dave989dave989 Member Posts: 21
    hah brand loyalty is more important these days man and most people brand loyalty is with imports whether or not there better cars/trucks.
  • edgexedgex Member Posts: 6
    I purchased my 04 Tundra DC prior to the Titan becoming available. I had to replace my 10yr old Toyota 4WD pickup which had been a great little truck for me. I had wanted a Tundra for a long time, but honestly now have some reservations on my decision. Don't get me wrong, the Tundra is a great truck, but it does have some shortfalls.

1. It guzzles gas like there's no tomorrow. Towing is painful on the wallet. I mean I knew going from the v6 to the v8 would impact mpg, but come on.

2. Getting in and out of the thing without running boards is a challenge. The captain chairs sit high & seem cheaply made. I wonder how long it will take for them to break down from normal entering/exiting the vehicle.

3. Higher bed: To get stuff out of the bed, there is no other way but to get up in it. Forget accessing a toolbox or rolling up a tonneau cover. The added 3 1/2" while nice certainly impacts simple daily chores.

4. Brakes. I have read all the reviews and didn't really pick up on it during my test drives, but IMO the braking system is underdesigned. I've experienced some serious brake fade. I've talked to the dealer about it, read the tundra websites, etc. etc. etc. But if I knew the manual recommended electric trailer brakes for towing over a 1,000 lbs, I would have never bought this truck. Now, I am not towing anything but a 10ft enclosed snowmobile trailer. When on the road, in snow, I want my brakes to be there, not fade. I towed with my old V6, didn't need electric brakes. I towed with my 02 Explorer V6 and didn't need electric brakes. What gives? Poor design imo. They work ok if you tooling around town or doing the weekend recycling trip. Oh, and I went and test drove 4 other tundras after experiencing the fade. They all do it.

My neighbor got a Titan and by the looks of things I must say I'm jealous. Toyota seems to nickel and dime you for certain options which drives the price up. Ford, Nissan, Chevy don't. I'm giving myself a year with this 04 DC, but don't see me sticking with it like my old Toyota truck. It'll be either Nissan, Ford, or Chevy. Just my two cents.
  • edgexedgex Member Posts: 6
    I purchased my 04 Tundra DC prior to the Titan becoming available. I had to replace my 10yr old Toyota 4WD pickup which had been a great little truck for me. I had wanted a Tundra for a long time, but honestly now have some reservations on my decision. Don't get me wrong, the Tundra is a great truck, but it does have some shortfalls.

1. It guzzles gas like there's no tomorrow. Towing is painful on the wallet. I mean I knew going from the v6 to the v8 would impact mpg, but come on.

2. Getting in and out of the thing without running boards is a challenge. The captain chairs sit high & seem cheaply made. I wonder how long it will take for them to break down from normal entering/exiting the vehicle.

3. Higher bed: To get stuff out of the bed, there is no other way but to get up in it. Forget accessing a toolbox or rolling up a tonneau cover. The added 3 1/2" while nice certainly impacts simple daily chores.

4. Brakes. I have read all the reviews and didn't really pick up on it during my test drives, but IMO the braking system is underdesigned. I've experienced some serious brake fade. I've talked to the dealer about it, read the tundra websites, etc. etc. etc. But if I knew the manual recommended electric trailer brakes for towing over a 1,000 lbs, I would have never bought this truck. Now, I am not towing anything but a 10ft enclosed snowmobile trailer. When on the road, in snow, I want my brakes to be there, not fade. I towed with my old V6, didn't need electric brakes. I towed with my 02 Explorer V6 and didn't need electric brakes. What gives? Poor design imo. They work ok if you tooling around town or doing the weekend recycling trip. Oh, and I went and test drove 4 other tundras after experiencing the fade. They all do it.

My neighbor got a Titan and by the looks of things I must say I'm jealous. Toyota seems to nickel and dime you for certain options which drives the price up. Ford, Nissan, Chevy don't. I'm giving myself a year with this 04 DC, but don't see me sticking with it like my old Toyota truck. It'll be either Nissan, Ford, or Chevy. Just my two cents.
  • 3toyboy3toyboy Member Posts: 30
    Anyone know if in general Toyotas/Nissans (or specifically the Tundra/Titan) are 50 state compliant?

Part 2: any challenges buying in Nevada/Arizona, and registering in California?
  • touctouc Member Posts: 28
    I too test drove both the Tundra and Titan. Immediate differences were: 1)control/dashboard quality, 2)engine noise, 3)smoothness of ride, 4)size of cab(?). The Titans dash and buttons seemed cheap. Even turning on the radio felt like it wouldn't last. The Titans ride was more bouncy and produced more engine noise (Trade-off for stronger engine, I guess). I liked the size of the cab in the Titan, but the bed size was hard to swallow (on the crew cab). I also think much of the extra cubic inches space it has is located on the Titans huge space between dash and windshield.
     I got a great deal on a Tundra DC, while Nissan refused to go below sticker. I won't be hauling any horse trailers, etc., but I do alot of traveling, camping, etc. The only things I would change on my Tundra DC would be the front seats and gas mileage.
    Finally, someone who agrees with me on the cheapness of the Titan interior. I have posted several times on this, and got no response, maybe they were afraid to admit it. Congradulations on your purchase of the DC, I have a 2004 DC Limited 4x4 loaded with every available option coming from factory, it will be here in April. I told my dealership that I will have my present vehicle paid off in April and it takes 6-8 weeks delivery on special orders. I elected to order one, instead of having to pick and choose from the ones on the lot. I am very excited and cannot wait. I drove the Nissan and got the same feelings you did almost to a "T".
    I love my Toyotas for their reputation and durability. By the way, what did you end up paying for the DC? My sticker was a hair above 39,000 and I got it for 34,800.
  • keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Speaking for me, I didn't resond because the issue of interior is very subjective and only causes arguements. My thoughts are at the lower trim levels, the interior of the Titan is nicer and at the top trim level the Tundra is nicer. As to the quality of the switches etc.., I found the Titan to be better than the Tundra.

I like the Tundra, but I choose/would choose again, the Titan because even though the dimensions show the Tundra being the same or bigger, it isn't on the inside. You have much more room in the Titan. As to the engine noise, this is a truck and most people want the great sounding engine noise in the Titan. It was designed that way.

The main thing the Tundra doesn't have, IMO, is the flexibility to handle heavy duty tasks. The stronger engine and frame in the Titan allows me to pull much more than the Tundra. When I buy a vehicle, I like the room to expand, so if I am not towing a travel trailer or boat now, I might be in 2-4 years and I don't want to purchase a new truck. Obviously this only works to a degree, but the titan allows for more.

As to the Toyota quality - it is normally A-1 in all its vehicles, but i have heard grumblings that the present Tundra isn't up to the same standard and they have had some problems.

Over-all, though, the Toyota would be my second choice and I like it.

As an aside, I was able to get my dealer to drop $1000 off MSRP and throw in quite a few few extras.
    Well I am glad you like your Titan, Lets pick up this conversation lets say 2-3 years down the road, or even at trade-in time for that matter.
    Then we will see what your opinion about the Titan is at that time.
    It is fine that you might like room to expand and grown down the road (as far as the titan goes, for now), but my job allows me to purchase a new vehicle if I am planning on doing any expanding say 2-4 years down the road, so I have the luxury of purchasing a new vehicle as tasks present. As for now, the 2004 DC I have on order will do more than I need it to do at this time. By the time I might grow and expand, lets say pulling a travel trailer or boat, then Toyota will have there new Tundra out at that time which will obviously pull more and have more HP and Torque than the present Tundra.
    Don't get me wrong. I like the Titan, too. I just thought for the deal I was offered, I couldn't pass up on the Tundra DC. I got a base model Gold SR5 2WD with tow, privacy, JBL 10, etc. for $25,100. This dealer also offered the best trade in to me for my 20O3 (even better than Carmax) Don't get me started on Carmax.
       Now, I could have waited and haggled for the next 6 months with Nissan (and ordered, too) for the Titan. But, after my wife and I drove each, we liked the ride of the Tundra. Apparently we appreciate the ride quality more than the towing ability. I also noticed more engine noise meeting a Titan in the other direction yesterday (now THAT is too noisy for me).
  • puckyhuddlepuckyhuddle Member Posts: 52
    I'm curious where you got the good deals on the DC. Thanks.
    Same goes for me; I like the Tundra too, but for the afor-mentioned reasons, i went with the Titan. Price wasn't an issue because the same dealer sells both Toyota and Nissan and won't give a better deal on either.

(I will take my foot off the gas as I pass you so I don't bother you and your wife's tranquility in the Tundra! :-))

All joking aside; Enjoy your new Tundra!
    I ordered my Tundra DC Limited 4x4, OPTIONS: limited slip diff. moonroof, color-keyed running boards, rear-audio controls, leather package, heated seats, towing package, overhead console,accessory package, well, everything except the VSC and DVD system (I have an In-dash DVD I plan on installing). I ordered this from Superior Toyota in Parkersburg, WV. MSRP was around 38,000, with the extended warranty (6 yr 100K miles) I got the vehicle for 34,800. This is a few hundred dollars over invoice, except holdback. Out of curiosity, I called several dealers within a 100 mile radius of Parkersburg, WV, and told them the deal I received (faxed it to some), and none, absolutely NONE of them would even match the deal, let alone beat it. My father works with a couple of guys that recently purchased the DC and they both paid sticker 37,600 and 38,400 respectively, they could not believe the deal when my father told them. I have done all my dealings with Superior Toyota as have my family. Thanks to Edmunds, I was able to have some ammunition ready about MSRP and Invoice pricing. They are willing to keep the returning customer and new buyer happy. They want your buisness now and your next vehicle buisness.
    My neighbor owns a muffler shop, He is going to fabricate me a Stainless Dual Exhaust System when my DC arrives. I contacted Borla and Flowmaster, they do not offer a KIT for the DC yet. I am going to go with the high-flow catalytic converter as well offered through Performance Products. I will keep you posted as to how this system works and sounds.
    I was on the Toyota.com website recently and found out some interesting information as follows:
    *The DC is 5 inches longer than the titan (230.1" vs. 224.2")
    *The DC is wider overall than Titan (79.3" vs. 78.8")
    * The DC has longer wheel base than Titan (140.6" vs. 139.8")
    *More head room than Titan (41.2" vs. 41.0")
    *Tundra's back seats are set at a posture-friendly angle of 24 degrees
    *The DC is 1st in its class for rear power vertical sliding window.
    *The DC is 1st in its class for rear-pilar mounted AC/Heater vents.
    I live in the "greater" Charlotte, NC area. Although, I did not buy from Charlotte dealers, I used their prices as leverage. I was ready to try them, but my local dealer told me he did not want to loose business to Charlotte, so he matched and gave me great trade in. My only sacrifice was to choose from what was on the lot (which wasn't moving too much). We think it was because they were 2wd. The couple of dealers I got best price from were right around "invoice", but one wouldn't go below $500 above invoice.
      Anyway, use the internet, etc. to locate best deals. But, be wary of excess additions to price (ie Toyoguard, and excessive doc. fees, etc.). Plus, try the end of the month (when vehicles may reach into the holdback).
       I truly believe with the "rage" of the Titan, etc. (I bet you like that Keanec), Tundra prices may start dropping(?)with negotiation. Plus, I will be my luck a rebate pops up pretty soon, too.
      As for Edgex, I think the bed is great on the Tundra and climbing in and out is perfect is fine. Maybe it is because I am 6'2". My last Tundra had a stepboard on it, and it actually got in the way getting in and out. I also hope you are wrong about the brakes, Edg. I will keep my fingers crossed.
    I believe you will be very pleased with your recent purchase. As far as the front brakes goes, well we will just have to see. It was a slight problem on the 2003, so they prob. did some modification to alleviate this problem (so I have heard), but time will tell. One thing is for sure, and thats the proven engine. Tell us what exactly you purchased, options and price if you may?
    Proz, look back on message #138. I got a base model with now whistles for $25,100 (I think it listed for $27,300). My next step is to get a first class spray in bed liner ($350 -with help of dealer), and keyless entry installed for $289. After that, and many paychecks later, some alloy wheels maybe (second hand?).
    Go farther and look at the interior dimensions such as leg room, hip room, shoulder room, etc... I think you will find it interesting that although the figures you gave in Post #143 are right, the titan is bigger in all the ones that count except for bed length. Strange that you didn't post those?

And the Titan also has a 24 degree rear seat.

It all means that the Tundra is a bigger outside truck, but smaller inside.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Does the Tundra still have an 8 inch rear diff?
    Like I stated in #134, That is what the Toyota.com website posted, If it posted any other dimension, I would have mentioned that as well, thank you for your interest.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    It most likely does, given that it's teh same drivetrain as Tacos. That thing is strong, anyway.
    Not sure if this means much, but I remember something about the Tundra doors being reinforced, etc. for better crash results. Maybe that might influence the larger exterior/smaller interior?????
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Actually, Nissan charges $320 (looked up on a website) for spray-in bedliner. I can go and get my truck (so I have a Tacoma, but the bed is the same) LineX'ed or Rhino'ed for $300. The benefit for Titan is that it's done at dealers and you don't have to waste a day doing it.
    Exactly what brand of spray-in does Nissan use?
    Nissan doesn't use a brand - they do it themselves at the factory. I guess it's advantage is it is warranteed by the factory and it is anti slip too.

Some people have said they don't like it because it is much thinner than a Rhino or other aftermarket and they figure it might not be as strong against dents. I guess being thinner it wouldn't make the dimensions of the box smaller, although this would be a very small advantage. Also, it is computer sprayed so the consistency would be better than having a person spray it.

I got it with my Titan but I really didn't have any choice. It comes standard on the SE in Canada (as does the utility system).
    Not sure if this means much, but I remember something about the Tundra doors being reinforced, etc. for better crash results. Maybe that might influence the larger exterior/smaller interior?????
    Nissan use a product by PPG for there factory spray-in liner
    Applied by a robot at Nissan's new Canton, Miss., plant, the Durabed Liner was developed by PPG with input from Nissan. It is made "from a high performance elastomer coating formed by a two component system that when combined reacts to create a polymer chain that crosslinks with other chains to form a tough, high, light and moisture resistant coating," says Nissan.

It was developed out of a need for high bed protection but also compatibility with the company's tie-down channel system.

The bedliner is applied after the truck has been painted and resists gauging by tools, shovels or sharp objects placed in the truck. Since it has a non-skid surface, bed cargo will not move around during transit.

Because it does not "sit" on top of the bed, rust will not develop beneath it like traditional drop-in bedliners, it also avoids road noise and vibration and dampens sounds unlike drop-in units.

The weatherproof bedliner is factory applied and therefore warranted by Nissan. The company plans to sell repair kits in the event something does scratch or gouge the bedliner.

Now dont get me wrong, I have a Toyota DC on order and I love the Toyota over the Titan, I am just posting this for Titan fans benefit
This discussion has been closed.