Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tundra vs. Nissan Titan

Comments

• Options
    triattriat Member Posts: 121
    I don't think Toyota has started pouring for the foundation in San Antonio yet.
  • Options
    toetrucktoetruck Member Posts: 22
    Soooo... where did all the lurkers who thought that the Nissan(Renault)Titan was the greatest thing since sliced bread go ?? Especially since Detroit, things are mighty quiet. Maybe they went back to the Nissan boards to" heal up "
  • Options
    keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Driving their Titans.
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    also waiting for a tundra poster to post something worth responding to...so far, the titan is better in every way that has been discussed.
  • Options
    I'm buying the Titan for a lot of reasons. But I have to say I think the Tundra DC does ride a little better. Oh ya, and percieved proven reliability. I can't think of anything else though. Just waiting on my Titan
  • Options
    lemmerslemmers Member Posts: 8
    is a lot easier on the tundra. Nissan placed the titan starter under the intake manifold. Let's see, the BIGGEST truck in class, yet they couldn't find a more service-friendly place for the starter.

I keep thinking about the new Altima my wife and I test drove last summer. It looked sweet and really had some guts, but it sounded like the plastic trim around the radio and arm rest was going to fall off 'cause it was squeeking creaking so much.......(any I'm a Mustang and VW Passat owner, both of which are notorious for squeeks and creaks).
  • Options
    if you still do all your own repairs, you are in the minority. the goal isnt to make it easy for you to do...its to make it so difficult that you pay the dealer to do it.
  • Options
    jwilli420jwilli420 Member Posts: 22
    The titan offers a bigger engine, more torque, more horsepower, more towing capacity, some of the best interior space in its class, a welded ladder fully boxed frame, utility bed for more versatility, optional dvd navigation and entertainment system.

The Tundra Offers a c-channel frame at the back with rivets which will lead to more body roll and a noisy ride in the future. The engine has almost the same horsepower of a 3.5 altima, The tundra only has a colum shifter and some of the ugliest wood grain ever seen in a truck

PS Check out the article in four wheeler magazine about the pick up truck of the year
  • Options
    too funny bowke !! I've never heard it put like that! Maybe some truth too!
  • Options
    I always make it a point to buy from manufacturers that go out of their way to "bend the customer over" when it comes to service and maintenance down the road.

I've compared the Tundra and Titan very carefully and really wish the Tundra had better front seats, about 60 more horse power, and side air bags.

I wish the Titan didn't have the typical questionable Nissan build quality with cheap interior materials, a really short bed with the crew cab, and such stupid option packages like having to order the off road package to get limited slip. Don't forget about the 5 hours of labor it'll take to replace the starter ;~)

Tthe Titan really reminds me of my current loaded '02 Quad Cab Dakota (which I really lilke). It's powerful, looks cool and seems awesome....until all the little things the factory screwed up start showing up. (and driving me nuts)

I want my next truck to be dependable and reliable first and foremost. I don't need the fastest truck as my 'stang runs 12's. I think Toyota designed and builds the Tundra to last a long time, I just don't get that same feeling with the Titan (hopefully I'm wrong).

jwilli420, it's not really apples to apples, but the newest Four Wheeler Magazine picks the Lexus GX470 as four wheeler of the year. The Armada finished 4th and the Hemi Durango 5th. I found it interesting as the Lexus has the same little (Under Powered ?)4.7 as the Tundra (but with a 5 spd trans.). It was 5th fastest in the quarter mile out of seven and still won 4X4 of the year.

• Options
    he didnt say it was "4-wheeler" of the year. he said it was "pickup" of the year.
  • Options
    He also said "the titan is plane better". I suppose you're going to tell me the Titan's so great it can fly!

Reread my post, I said "not really apples to apples." FWIW, I don't take much stock in the "car or truck of the year" the rags publish.

In 1983 "Motor Trend" named the Renault Alliance "Car of the Year", so it must've been good, right?

Honestly, I like the Titan, I just don't think it's proven to be "better" than the Tundra (yet?). Time will tell. Power, speed and towing, yes. Durability, reliability and resale, not a chance in my book.
  • Options
    gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    "In 1983 "Motor Trend" named the Renault Alliance "Car of the Year", so it must've been good, right?"

That is funny, I remember that.

Reading the Armada forum I can't help but notice the already numerous reports of rattles, screwd up roofs and other issues. If I had the choice to by a sqeaky problematic, but powerful, huge truck or a well built, high quality one that may not put the high numbers out, I would go with the latter.

But then again, I am very anal and I hate rattle boxes. Some people don't even care as long as they have the biggest engine.

The bottom line is, the Titan is not a proven product, time will tell.
  • Options
    so what you are saying is....that you dont even take much stock in EDMUNDS opinions?!?!?!

tsk, tsk, tsk...

;-)
  • Options
    jwilli420jwilli420 Member Posts: 22
    You will have a rattle box with the outdated frame of the tundra. The Armada is nissan's first stab at the full size suv product, but they have always made trucks. The Frontier is more reliable and dependable than any Toyata (such as tacoma and t-100) The Titan also has a high residual so resale won't be much of a problem
  • Options
    toetrucktoetruck Member Posts: 22
    Mon Dieu!! Watch those references to Renault, all these Nissan salespeople...oops sorry ..Nissan "fans" will get REAL indignant !! :-)
  • Options
    I have three friends with Tundra's with no rattles. And I'm on my second Sequoia and no rattles to speak of in either (no resonance). As a past owner of three Nissans, and one current 2002 Maxima, I can say that I'm not impressed with the resale value. The Nissans are impressive trucks to be sure, but they're first year models and will have issues. When they forget to glue the roofs on thousands of Armadas, that is a red flag. I hope they get everything squared away, because it won't take long to build a bad reputation.
  • Options
    "You will have a rattle box with the outdated frame of the tundra."

That's pretty funny.

"The Titan also has a high residual so resale won't be much of a problem"

That's down right hilarious! In fact, it's PLANE hilarious!

Anyway, after work yesterday, I went to my local Toyota dealer to check out the first 2wd DC they had gotten in. It drove really nice and seemed to have a bit more snap than the DC 4x4's I'd driven (maybe it was my imagination). I honestly think my Quad Dakota rides and drives nicer though, with less noise, vibration and overall harshness.

I then drove to the Nissan dealer to check out the two latest Titan's they'd received. They had a loaded white 4X4 SE in the show room that looked sweet. The hood was up and the first thing I noticed was a huge chunk of dirt stuck in the paint on the top edge of the left side front fender (it reminded me of my Dakota's poor paint quality).

The truck had the utility bed package and I was curious to check out the storage area located behind the left side rear wheel, but couldn't because the handle had actually broken off. The plastic dash pieces had little plastic hairs hanging out between the seams where they'd been snapped together.

I also checked out a 4X4 XE extended cab. After I got inside I thought "Cool, the overhead counsel has three drop down storage areas, my Dakota only has one." I dropped the middle little door down and tried to close it, it wouldn't latch. The spring in the latch was broken. At that point I'd seen enough Nissan quality to make my Dodge look more like the Diamler side of Diamler-Chrysler than Chrysler side.

The salesman and I had a pretty good laugh as I told him all these little things were confirming my suspicion of Nissan being the Japanese Chrysler (he is a former Dodge salesman so he could relate). Honestly, the Titan has a LONG way to go. I'd say overall initial build quality is where Dodge was 10 or years ago and Toyota 20 or more years ago.

I don’t care how fast the Titan is, or how much it can tow, Nissan build quality is poor. Say what you want about the Tundra; the Titan pales in comparison if you're shopping for value.
  • Options
    twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    LOL The really Excited people beat you to the Nissan dealer and broke everything rofl. I've had the chance to sit in a KC Titan. Its nice and at least in that one nothing was broken lol.
  • Options
    matzeitmmatzeitm Member Posts: 9
    was considering the Titan, Tundra and F150 for my next truck. I test drove all 3 on the same day this weekend to get a good comparison. The Tundra is an exceptionally nice truck but it needs a few extras to bring it up to the value that the Titan offers. After some research I also found the Tundra's reliabilty to be very good although they have had some problems with brakes and transmissions.

Upon driving both I thought the Tundra had great power for it's 240 HP engine, more than the 300hp F150 which was strange. The ride was very smooth and "carlike". Was also very quiet. There was nothing that I really did not like about the Tundra except that it does not really make a style statement. It's a nice truck. Just like the Car and Driver review says. Definitely wins over the F150 though, no question there.

Then I test drove the Titan right after and felt like I was the pilot of a rocket! Man does it go. You really feel the power when you step on the gas. IMO the Titan blows the Ford out of the water. My wife's comments..."this is a truck's truck. This is what a truck should feel like" Also liked the bold lines and extra features not included in the Tundra (spray in boxliner, running boards, brake systems). These are all extras on the Tundra while they are included in the Titan for the same base price.

The other thing I did not like is that Toyota in Alberta will not deal. They give you $500 off of MSRP and that's it. All dealers up here are part of the same program to "price fix".

My decision has been made, my next truck will be a Titan. Nissan has done their homework and put together an excellent truck.
  • Options
    kurt123kurt123 Member Posts: 13
    the many posts dealing with the latest 1/2 ton truck offerings, I've decided I'm going to stick with Toyota which has never let me down. For those that are a little dissapointed with the latest Tundra,(the double-cab) for it's percieved lack of power to compete with the others, if you wait a couple of years Toyota will be producing an updated Tundra which will not be only "bigger" in dimensions but have a powerful Hybrid V8 engine with the fuel economy of a V6! It will be probably be the 2006,(maybe 2007)production year. It sounds like it's worth waiting for!
  • Options
    perfect time to lease a titan for 3 years and see what happens! ;-)
  • Options
    co97co97 Member Posts: 2
    What are people paying for the Titan in Texas?
  • Options
    touctouc Member Posts: 28
    I have spent the last month or more researching these two trucks, test driving, and haggling with the dealers. What an experience. I was looking for a "family truck", not a powerhouse hauler, etc. After meeting the RUDE nissan dealers, and haggling with toyota people I finally made the best decision. I got a base SR5 model Double Cab Tundra for $25,100 vs. a sticker priced ("not budging from msrp") titan. Peace of mind, Toyota quality/reliabily, and what a deal! Besides, I have a friend who has a Titan. He loves it, but says he is averaging around 12 mpg.(?) He thinks it may be the gear ratio (?). Yeah, it hauls [non-permissible content removed] (etc.), but I like the smooth ride, etc. of my Tundra for the $. Plus, the bed size was another kicker for me. Let's hear it from you guys....
  • Options
    barnabasbarnabas Member Posts: 7
    Who is the largest Nissan dealer in TX. I understand that Titan allocation went to those who sold Frontier's for the past 2 years, not necessarily cars.
  • Options
    At 5800 miles, I'm averaging 14mpg combined on my '03 Access Cab. On one tank I reached 15mpg, but then back to 14 again. A friend of mine warned me ahead of time.

I hope you get better than me.
  • Options
    got1bgot1b Member Posts: 48
    For all of you who are concerned about the DC's power, I just spoke with a saleswoman who told me you can get a Supercharger on it! She said it boosts HP to around 350! I'm guessing it won't affect towing to much but should have very competitive acceleration. Does anyone out there have experience with this???
  • Options
    sure you can...you can get one on the titan too...the question will be whether it is cost-effective or not.
  • Options
    aggiemph1aggiemph1 Member Posts: 56
    Where can I find more info about this Nissan supercharger for 5.6? I have to say I haven't heard anything about it.
  • Options
    kjdenahykjdenahy Member Posts: 16
    The supercharged Tundra at 350hp (come on!) had a lot of the same times as the standard Titan 5.6. I think Car and Driver tested them. I may be wrong about that, but it has just recently come out.
  • Options
    February Car & Driver:
    Tundra Limited 4x4 0-60: 8.8 sec 0-100: 26.9 sec
    Titan SE 4x4 0-60: 7.6 sec 0-100: 23.5 sec

Tundra was not supercharged. Not that I need to do 100+ mph, but 0-100 difference shows Tundra even slower 60+mph. We do 70-80mph a lot on Texas Highways.
  • Options
    bmosbackerbmosbacker Member Posts: 1
    For the record, I'm not trying to start a flame war--I'm asking an honest question.

I have never owned a truck but I'm about to replace the family minivan with a truck. I have test driven most models and read a lot about the trucks.

I REALLY like the Titan BUT it is a new product and I am concerned about quality/initial bugs, etc.

Now I know this is going to sound "anal" but after driving the new Tundra DC I came away with mixed feelings.

1. Build quality is excellent.
    2. Ride quality is best of any truck I've driven--almost car like.
    3. I like the electric back window and large bed.

BUT:
    1. It lacks the "aggressive" truck look.
    2. Because it drives/rides like a car/ it doesn't "FEEL" like a truck.
    3. Power seems low.
    4. Interior even looks car like.

Here is the paradox; I am a white collar professional who will use the truck to commute to the office and as a family vehicle. I will use it some on weekends to hall stuff from Lowes, and for some hunting trips. Basically, I don't really NEED a truck, but I think it would be fun to drive one--I'm a bit board with the minivan and the luxury sedans.

So.....is the Tundra a real truck that is fun to drive in addition to being reliable, etc.?
  • Options
    Just so you know Toyota has engineered a supercharger for the v6/v8 engines in the tundra and backs them with a warranty. Furthermore since they are Toyota engineered, if you get a Toyota dealer to install it, it does not affect the factory warranty. Any supercharger's for the Titan are not Nissan engineered at this point, and probably won't be for some time considereing the fact that Nissan has their hands full trying to manufacture replacement parts for the trucks the have already made.
  • Options
    allagashallagash Member Posts: 6
    The Titan doesn't need a supercharger. It's got plenty of power from the factory. I've seen the superchargers for the Toys and they're pretty pricey.....
  • Options
    that was my point. you can have one made for a titan, and you can get one for the toyota...but by the time you drop $4-5k on the toy charger, youve taken that decent value to ridiculous.
  • Options
    I agree that there are very few situations where supercharging ANY car is warranted. However, saying that supercharging a Titan is as easy or the same as buying a TRD supercharger is "ridiculous", in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    that it was easy...i just said it was expensive.
  • Options
    I too am looking for a truck after owning several SUV's (Pathfinder today). I commute to an office and use my vehicles to hunt and fish on the weekends. I suspect that 50% of truck owners do the same thing. The $64 question is whats the build quality going to be on the Titan. Its got my heart but not my head.I heard the Armada had several issues for the first 3-4 months.
  • Options
    You're exactly right, most of us now are buying trucks for multi-purpose family stuff!

If you're coming from minivan & luxury car, Tundra likely best choice. Tundra is a good truck, but...

I recommend you drive all the trucks. One of them will feel & drive just right for you. Besides it's just as good to know why you chose one over another.
    But picking a truck is like picking a career, home, or romantic partner. It won't be perfect in everyway. But you should like it enough in the areas that are most important to you that you can live with the 20% you don't particularly like....
  • Options
    The Armada has had some teething problems common to SUV's & minivans, including when MDX came out such as booming exhaust(resonance)with large unibody cavity, road noise(insulation), windnoise(roof rack, mirrors..etc).

Most of these haven't been a problem with framed Titan. Also the Titan benefits from Armada being out for a while. The drivetrain/brakes/electrical...etc are all right from the Armada.

I assume there will be some teething problems, but I haven't seen any trends yet
  • Options
    i wont be the idiot to say that all titans will be perfect...they are machines built by humans...imperfect by definition. will you have problems? maybe. thats what a warranty is for. noone knows. get what you like and enjoy.
  • Options
    mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Doesn't putting super-charger or anything else cause for the manufacturer to cancel the warrantee?
  • Options
    in most cases, mariner7, a supercharger is an excellent way to cancel a perfectly good drivetrain warranty. But factory performance parts, including superchargers, typically don't, although you should read the fine print. For example TRD's (toyota racing development)supercharger does not void the factory warranty, but only if it is installed at a toyota dealership. If you do it yourself, then they and something breaks they are not going to honor the warranty b/c you messed up the install.

I don't understand the point of adding S/C's, turbos, or nitrous to any vehicle, but that is another topic all together. The only type of invasive power adder I might consider would be propane injection on a diesel engine.

I hope i answered your question.

Thanks
  • Options
    mtnmanandymtnmanandy Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE OWNED MANY 4X4 PICKUPS...TOYOTA AND NISSAN...THE TITAN ABSOLUTELY OUTCLASSES THE TUNDRA IN EVERY SENSE...THE TUNDRA DOESN'T HAVE THE SIZE OR THE OOOMPH UNDER THE HOOD TO BE CONSIDERED IN THE FULL-SIZE CATEGORY AND SHOULD BE STRICKEN...A MORE FAIR COMPARISON WOULD BE BETWEEN THE DODGE DAKOTA AND THE TUNDRA...ALSO, THE TUNDRA IS TOO PLAIN-JANE LOOKING. IF YOU WANT A FULL-SIZE PICKUP, NO MATTER WHAT COMPANY YOU'RE LOYAL TO, YOU SHOULD GIVE A TITAN A TEST DRIVE. YOU'LL BE IMPRESSED. ALSO, THE TITAN IS MADE IN TENNESSEE AND MISSISSIPPI...NOT ONLY AMERICAN, BUT SOUTHERN!
  • Options
    turn off your caps lock...it makes it difficult to read, and you can be confused with someone being angry/yelling.
  • Options
    Thanks for the gripping analysis.
  • Options
    Bowke: I have not read a single financial article whether it be from Money, Forbes,Wall Street Journal which promotes buying an extended warranty. I drive my vehicles for 10 years hence why I have bought Nissan and Toyota for their known reliabilty advantage. I bought an extended Gold plan warranty on my wife's Maxima because the dealership finance guy was needing to make his quota which put me in a 6 year 100,000 mile deal for $550.Extended warranty for dealers is spelled "very high profit margin". Its all about actuarials no different than life insurance.
  • Options
    i never said anything about extended warranties. the factory provides a splendid warranty with the truck. 3/36 bumper to bumper, and 5/60 powertrain. if this isnt enough time to cover bugs and gremlins, then i dont know what is.
  • Options
    puckyhuddlepuckyhuddle Member Posts: 52
    I test drove a Tundra DC over the weekend, really thinking I would end up with a 4runner. But now I'm not so sure. My question is, is there any difference in ride between the TRD and non TRD DC? Thanks.,
  • Options
    I didn't drive both in DC size. But I just traded my '03 Access TRD for a Titan. The trd rides a little "tighter" than no trd. I think it's borderline jittery. But then the trd really handles Very nicely!

So unless your area has a lot of curves,hills, or places where you can open it up a little, I would probably opt to non-trd...

Also if you get leather, only buy the factory installed leather in a package. Really avoid leather later installed at port as an option...
This discussion has been closed.