Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    However I have my reserve on the reliability , but if the van behave that is going to be a great deal ...time will tell. I am getting out of a Montana 2002 and I was pretty disapointed by the van, way to many problem for a 4 years old van. if the Dodge can just do slightly better I'll be more than happy

I've had my 2005 GC SXT with tow/power hatch and sunroof for 1.5 trouble free years so far...LOVE IT!!! No problems and it tows my Coleman Tent trailer with ease. Hope you're as happy as I am so far!!!!
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    Wow thats good news , thanks gents for sharing your experience with me !!
    Do you know where I can find the diagram showing the brake switch. I
    have to install a brake controller and it must be connected to the
    cold side of the switch , since I dont want to poke the wire for
    nothing having the right wire color would help a lot.Thanks in advance
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I wish you luck with your new van. I also have a 2005 DGC. It's 18 months old now and have had no problems with it at all. I did have one recall on it a couple of months ago, for a possible crimp in the hose. I took it in when changing the oil. Had it back in little more than 40 min.

I did get an extended warranty on mine. Paid about $1,300.00 for it. It was a lot more than what I paid on my other car, but fixing these vehicles have gone up too. I found out it cost me over a thousand dollars to replace the compressor and condenser on my old car. With all the electrical stuff on these vans, it's hard to believe you can keep them seven years and have nothing go out on them. We use the a/c here in Arizona about eight months out of the year. Plus, it would have cost me over $900.00 for seven years just for AAA road side service and this extended warranty has roadside service with it, so I figure it's not that bad at all and I won't have to worry about any of that stuff breaking for seven years, which is as long as I will keep it.
  • dm3dm3 Member Posts: 25
    Where did you get an extended warranty for $1300? I've been looking for a 7yr/100k mile $0 dedutible Chrysler warranty. I've seen prices from around $2000-$3500.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Do you know where I can find the diagram showing the brake switch. I
    have to install a brake controller and it must be connected to the
    cold side of the switch , since I dont want to poke the wire for
    nothing having the right wire color would help a lot.Thanks in advance

Sorry, I haven't a clue. I had an RV dealer install it for me.
    I bought it right here from the Dodge dealer. Mine was for 7/70. Right now, it looks like I will have the seven years before I get 70,000 miles on it.
    Hey, if by any chance you have to look under the dashbord ;-) tonight or tomorrow ...try to see where the RED wire of the controller is connected ;-))

I will thank you a gazillion of time !!!
  • hcookhcook Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

Just bought a 2005 T&C Touring, and have a question about the rear park assist chime.

We couldn't hear the chime when we test drove it, but the dealer said that it's working but is extremely quiet. They acknowledge that they've had some complaints about it, but that there's no recall or official fix yet.

Heard of this problem? Experienced it? Ideas?

Thanks,
    Hans
  • heavydoeheavydoe Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2005 Special Edition. Our parking assist beeps only when the led lights turn red. The closer you get the louder it gets, and when you get about a foot from the object the radio automatically mutes and all you can hear is the beeping.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    have been moved to the Town & Country MPG: Real World Numbers topic.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• kronykrony Member Posts: 110
    Anyone know if the Chrysler minivan transmission issues are resolved? Seems like they still were around in the last generation.

Haven't seen a transmisson replacement allowance warranty on new ones so thought I'd check with you folks. :)
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    I believe they have been fixed. Now, that doesn't mean that some won't experience trans. problems. (Which all manufactures do). We have an 01 DGC EX with close to 80K and no trans. problems. We've had trans. maintenance done twice with the changing of fluid and filter replacement. From what I have read, most problems came from the wrong trans. fluid being used. (Which only Daimlerchrysler sales.) The other was the lack of space in the engine compartment. This didn't allow enough ventilation for the heat to escape. This caused premature trans. fluid brake down and resulted to trans. failure. :shades:
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    The wife and I turned in our leased 2005 SXT on a new '06 last night. We worked a great deal on the '06 since the incentives are high right now and the dealers are extra motivated to make room for the '07s. We were able to turn in a month early. I was lucky that my local dealer had exactly the van we were looking for on their lot.

I noticed a new subtle but nice differences between our old '05 and the new '06. The 2nd row seats are definitelhy softer and cushier in the '06. I didn't mind the firm seats in the '05 but many posters here complained about them. The '06 seats are noticably softer. Also, the Stow 'N Go bins have an extra hinge in the '06 which makes t much easier to access the bins for storage without moving the front seats up. Very convenient touch.

We had 27,000 happy miles on our '05 and I am looking forwad to the next two years with the '06.
  • dadto3dadto3 Member Posts: 17
    Okay, it's time for the dumb question of the day. I have a 2005 T&C Touring that we bought used. We don't have all of the manual info on it. It has a 6 CD changer in-dash...but I don't know how to load more than one in it...can someone tell me? It also has the in-dash 6 DVD loader, which I can figure out, but the CD player has me stumped.
  • dadto3dadto3 Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone had problems with their DVD player? I have a 2005 T&C and cannot play or eject and of the DVD's in the player. I get an "ERROR" message on the stereo. Took it in today and was told they have to replace the whole DVD player. Just curious if this is a common problem.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I recieved information from Chrysler on the 2007 model minivans. Both engines have a lower horsepower rating - the bigger one, the 3.8L is now just 200 hp (down from 207, which was down from 215 in 2004); and the smaller one, the 3.3L is now just 170 hp (down from 180 in the past).

What gives?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Most likely compliance with the new SAE test standards for horsepower which, among other things, require that accesories be attached to the engine (and hence drain some power).
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Look at 2007 Pacifica 3.8L and 4.0L engines to see what the 2008 DC minivan 4.0L V6 will have: 3.8L has the same 200HP and 235 lb-ft torque as the 2007 DC minivans but the 4.0L has 255 HP and 265 lb-ft torque with a 6 speed AT.
    I would prefer the DC 4.0L 255 HP and 265 lb-ft torque to the 266 HP ( @ 6200 RPM) and lower 245 lb-ft torque of the 2007 Sienna 3.5L V6.
    DC minivans have higher TORQUE for real power instead of bloated HP ratings that are primarily used for bragging in advertising.
    Well, Hans. My question is, will the 4.0L from DCX be comparable to Toyotas 3.5L for refinement? Will it be a pushrod, or some newer technology? Will the new minivan be more fuel efficient than before, or will it still trailing Toyotas?

Chrysler definitely wants to remain "minivan leader", and they need to work hard for that. I am anxiously waiting on the reports of the media after the January auto show.
    I can NOT detect any "refinement" in my 2006 Sienna 3.3L V6 compared to my 2002 T&C LX 3.3L V6 although the Sienna seems to have slightly more power with slightly better gas mileage. (28.8 MPG on the same trip a year later than the 28.2 MPG the T&C got). My T&C was rated 18 City 24 Highway while the Sienna is rated 19 City 26 Highway.

Based on mailings from Toyota, the recommended routine maintenance will cost MORE for the Sienna than the Chrysler for every maintenance interval. :sick:

Are pushrod engines less expensive to maintain than the newer technology?
  • gregmangregman Member Posts: 24
    Does anybody have experience with diminished value? Wife was hit by lawn care truck which ripped the front bodywork off. Their insurance is paying for the repair $5000+, but the resale value will be diminished since it was wrecked. How do you collect on that? Thanks. P.S. state of Missouri.
    Sadly, the insurance companies have too many lobbyists that have bought off politicians at state and federal levels. :lemon: The vehicle owner ALWAYS loses money when a vehicle is damaged in a wreck whether the owner was at fault or not.
    I have never seen anyone get compensated for diminished value. I lost large amounts of money when vehicles I owned were totalled when struck by another vehicle.
    The insurance companies will only pay to get a vehicle repaired by the lowest bidder using inferior parts or will pay wholesale, auction prices when a vehicle is totalled.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Hi gregman,
    You might also check out our Auto insurance & accidents discussion. That's where several of our members who have insurance expertise hang out.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gregmangregman Member Posts: 24
    Thank you Hansienna and kirstie h. Your input is greatly appreciated.
  • lammypielammypie Member Posts: 3
    I have same problem. Just stopped playing with disk error. Dealer looked at it and now all the lights are blinking and cost $1,300 to fix. Emailed Chrysler CS and no TSB. Trying to find a shop to fix/replace for less.

I believe I can hook up a portable DVD player for under $100 and hook it to the outlets and play from the screen.

Let me know if you find a solution.
  • lammypielammypie Member Posts: 3
    Have a 05 T&C and had front pump and torque converter replaced at 40k under powertrain warranty for $100 deductible. The van had a code 0988 at 10k which is a trans code and had to be reset.

I believe there are still issues with trans problems. I had the dealer do a trans flush service at 30k so they can't say trans failure was due to lack of service.
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    had my 2005 T&C tranny replaced with 1,800 miles on new vehicle only after i fought with them and had 3 TSB's done, i could not believe the way chrysler handles warranty problems, was at dealer for 2 weeks, gave me a loaner before they decided to fix it, plus a had paint issues, i.e., severe runs on hood lip, all doors interior lips where i presume clamps were used during assembly are bare, slag at bottom of 2 doors breaks off and exposes bare metal, new muffler system installed because of put-put sound, all before 2,500 miles, now at 17,000 miles a rough idle and guess what, no hassle from chrysler, they put in new plugs and complete cable system no questions asked, what a piece of crap i purchased, it in my opinion was worse than buying a used car off the lot, at least used one might expect a couple minor issues :lemon:
    Trade it off for an Odyssey that will never have any problems. :shades:
    Has anyone seen the 2008's. They are something else. It looks like Chrysler did their homework on these babies. Edmunds should have the pictures and info out on them by now.
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    greener, could you please tell me what dealer did the work on your car? I am still fighting the apathy and obfuscation of DC and its dealers regarding the noises from my 2005 T&C that I bought in mid-July of 2005. In September of that year, the regional service manager admitted in writing that the exhaust noise was a known problem and that their engineers were working on a solution, but nothing has happened since then. He still wouldn't admit to the tranny noise being anything but normal operation, though.

My local dealers say they can't do anything until DC comes up with a fix. If a new exhaust and tranny fixed your problems I would like to point my dealer to an actual case history. My piece of rubbish is so bad that to date I only have about 6500 miles on it - I simply can't stand to listen to it for more than a half-hour at a time. TIA
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Has anyone seen the 2008's. They are something else. It looks like Chrysler did their homework on these babies. Edmunds should have the pictures and info out on them by now. "

Home run!
    sorry, i see where u've been trying for a long time to get info from me, my exhaust was fixed under warranty using code #1923 included muffler and pipe assembly, it is a definite and known issue according to rep, they did 2 tsb's on tranny, and i told them i wanted a new car or take the one i bought back, they (DCX)did a 0% finance on it, 3rd time they replaced after ordering a new tranny, not rebuilt, using the code #1985, but did so IN THE INTEREST OF CUSTOMER SATISFACTION,, what a cop out as far as i was concerned, and guess what, no noises any more, at least my dealer told me they would fix whatever was wrong with it, more than what your dealer wants to do for u, i still have paint issues to get done, but i am waiting until nearer warranty end, and if rust shows up, they will have more work to do than what started, it's their fault, let them deal with it, i like the van, but with quality like what i got with a new van, i will certainly take a new one out and drive it for about 100 miles before purchasing it, as i had all these sounds before that but had already purchased it, it is still the worst new car purchase ever in my life, and i've had 5 of them, chrysler quality sucks and i dont care what year it is, had they owned up to the fact there was an issue with tranny, i would have more respect for DCX, they only tried to save face for themselves, your problems own up to what i say
    Both Edmunds and CR will bad mouth the 2008 Chrysler minivans because they do not have the Honda or Toyota nameplate on them. They will also trash the "old fashioned" pushrod OHV engines. :shades:
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    Thanks for the info you have given me. However, in keeping with my long-standing policy of always looking a gift horse in the mouth, I will now ask you for:

1. The name and location of the dealer who did the work on your car.
    2. The date (or dates) on which the dealer (and/or DCX) finally agreed to make replacements of your tranny and exhaust and actually performed the work.

I realize that this may sound a little demanding on my part, but experience tells me that I had better have chapter and verse in hand before the clowns around here will take me seriously. My present conviction is that they will simply say they have no idea what those code numbers stand for.

Thanks again and in advance for your valuable information.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Both Edmunds and CR will bad mouth the 2008 Chrysler minivans because they do not have the Honda or Toyota nameplate on them. They will also trash the "old fashioned" pushrod OHV engines."

I have a feeling these will be well received. The 6 speed trans will score major points with the reviewers
    For more information and discussions about the upcoming '08 model, click here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efc7219/68
    i dont really want to get my local dealer involved in your problems in florida, i.e., i've given u codes that they used in fixes under warranty, i understand your problems, but i think you should file a lemon law complaint seeing as u have such low miles, and they refuse to fix it, or go through your finance company with your problems and tell them u refuse to pay for the piece of junk, as that is what i say mine still is, for all the problems i've had, u have legal rights in a new car purchase, pursue them, i only got results i think because chrysler was the finance company and i told them replace the car, i probably should have used the lemon law, didnt realize at that time i could have, then they would have had to fix it and resell it again, seeing they presumably thought it would be cheaper to fix and let me keep, keep me posted on results, i think they're plenty of pro bono lemon law lawyers out there to help u through this
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    If you haven't seen it yet, there's an existing topic dedicated to this here: Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

claires, i did see what you are referring to, i was just replying to someone who had same issues i've had with same year of van 2005, but seeing the issue is on current 2005 vans and not years older ones, of which we all knew had issues and thought dcx had gotten their act together on trannies, but apparently not all of them, the reason for posting in this section, i love their vans, but absolutely despise the quality of mine and apparently others have same issues, yet dcx continues to boast about their great quality, what a bunch of bull and for everyone that is bad quality, with me and others complaining about it in forums hopefully will discourage others from purchasing chrysler products or vans, so it hurts them more than they think
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I have all of 78 miles on it but it is much nicer than the Honda. the Honda is very "industrial" inside. this is my first Chrysler, ever. I traded a 2000 Ford windstar SEL that while it was not a great van it was reliable. Guess I will just have to see.
  • wjqiwjqi Member Posts: 8
    Hello, I have been following this discussion about oil consumption. I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country with 3.8L engine with 15000 miles on it, it uses 1 quart of oil about 1000 miles. The dealer put a new PCV valve and said to monitor again. The service guy said the next step will be to measure the compression. The engine also have pinning problem under load. Do any of you have similar issue and any experience when dealing with dealer on this type of repair? Thanks a lot.
  • rgbollingrgbolling Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Town & Country with 95,000 miles has started to lunge when slowing down. At 25 mph there is a little lunge. When I slip it in nutrual and slow down it does not lunge. This started right after I put some commerical fuel system cleaner in the last tank of gas. Can someone tell me what they think the problem is? Is it my transmission or my idle?

Thanks
    Russell
  • buickboy92buickboy92 Member Posts: 19
    does anyone know were to find a push bar for an 06' dodge grand caravan :confuse:
  • magnesium06magnesium06 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just bought a 2006 touring town and country and want to know how to return the trip computer on the overhead console back to the compass/temperature display. It was on this originally until I started pressing buttons and the trip items (mpg tracking, odometer, etc...) came up. Now I am done with my trip and would like to just get back to having the compass/temperature back. From the owners manual, it's a little unclear as to how to do this.
    Thanks!
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    Using the Step Button on the right hand side, just keep pushing it until the Compass/Temperature displays. Anytime you want something else, just press that switch until what you want is displayed.

C.B.
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    I mislead you somewhat in my last post. It's even simpler to return to Temperature/Compass from any other display. Just press the same switch mentioned earlier but toward the rear of the vehicle and T/C will be displayed. Pressing the switch toward the front of the vehicle is the step cycling for the Mini-Computer described earlier.

C.B.
  • flavifeflavife Member Posts: 20
    On my 2007 that I bought last week use the extreme right button. Rocking it down changes the mode and pressing it up puts it back into the compass mode.

Frank
  • magnesium06magnesium06 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help! Pressing it towards the rear of the car does return it to the compass.