Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    It adjusts 8 ways. I'm sure you can play with it to find a good position for you. I find my T&C Touring seat the most comfortable driver's seat I have owned. My 1-hr commute each way is my proof.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Hi! I just bought a Touring Town & Country and I've been having an extremely hard time getting used to the drivers seat, my back finds it very uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this trouble? I'm now in the market for a seat support of some kind and don't know where to start. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks! "

Did you adjust the lumbar support? I've found that helps ( I push it as far forward as it goes).
  • jhw3131jhw3131 Member Posts: 1
    Our 05 TC touring edition with 15000 mi is "rocking" from side to side as we enter any driveway, entrance, etc. or encounter a bump? any suggestions? Yes, it has mc phersons, sway bars, etc. But it is bad. jhw3131
  • willcherylwillcheryl Member Posts: 4
    Well that does make me feel better! Maybe my back just needs to get used to it, but it's been about 4 weeks now. It is 100% different than my old, large, plush, wrap around seat in my car. Hopefully a month from now I too will be saying how comfortable it is. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I've been to the chiropractor twice already. Do you have the cloth or leather? I really appreciate the feedback!
  • willcherylwillcheryl Member Posts: 4
    My mini van has cloths seats and no lumbar support :(
    I am hoping that I can find either a lumbar support or back support of some kind to ease the muscle pain. It must be the position I am sitting, the shape of the seat or something. I haven't figured it out, I just know that my back hurts after a very short time driving. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions on a good back/lumbar support, there are about 100 different ones on-line. I'm hoping that my back will adjust in time, and I'll love my new van. Right now I don't even care to drive it. Thanks!!
  • riojask1riojask1 Member Posts: 1
    After hearing noises from the front brakes my husband had his brakes replace about two weeks ago. One week later after driving on the highway for about 1/2 hour we noticed a loud noise, stopped the vehicle and the back wheel smelled and was hot and we lost brakes, having to use the emergency brake to stop. (The back brake had only been adjusted.) The repair shop couldn't find anything but they replaced all brake pads. Well a week or so later my husband was coming down a mountain in NC and the brakes went out again. The second location now says they can't find anything wrong either????? Anyone know of any recalls on the Town&C Van? : :)
  • dm3dm3 Member Posts: 25
    You mentioned you lost brakes, but didn't say if or when they started working again. Description sounds like the dealer should be able to notice a problem. 2005 is under warranty. Dealer should be able to look up any recalls based on the VIN. I haven't heard of any regarding brakes.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I had the same problem and went to a back store and got a small lumbar cushion.
  • gman73gman73 Member Posts: 3
    Understood - just looking for anyone else with similar problems or experiences.

No, I'm not a lawyer :)
  • afetsafets Member Posts: 2
    Have a 05 SXT with cloth seats and hated the drivers seat because of no lumbar support. Found an electric pump/bladder on eBay and installed. Great system, easy to install and enjoy those long trips now. Looks like a factory installed system. The installation guide had the manufacture and here is their URL: http://www.rostra.com/lumbar-support.htm . The site also has the installation guide so you can take a look at the installation. Don’t know the cost with them as I paid $28 on eBay. Good luck..Jim
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    I bought a NEW 2006 Sienna LE and do not like it as well as my 2002 T&C LX. I could have purchased a 2006 GC SXT for about $ 4,000 LESS than I paid for my 2006 Sienna LE or $ 7,000 less than a 2006 Ody EX (cloth). :cry:
    The uncomfortable driver's seat was my only complaint about my 2002 T&C LX.
    The 2006 Sienna LE driver's seat is very comfortable but other than the comfortable driver's seat, more attractive interior and 5 speed AT of Sienna and Odyssey, the T&C or GC are much nicer overall than the Sienna or Odyssey.
    BTW, the DC minivan front seats with separate head rest have always been more comfortable for me than the seats without the adjustable headrest. ALL DC minivans now have the more comfortable seat than my 02 T&C has.
  • lyplyp Member Posts: 2
    Tonight I pulled into the driveway and started to get out of the van when I noticed a warning bell going off. Just like when you leave the keys in the ignition and open the door. I had the kry out of the ignition, the headlights were off and this warning bell keeps going off until I close the drivers door.

It has never done this before so I pulled the manual out and for the life of me I can't find anything in it about this warning. There are no warning lights on in the dash?????

I'm sure it's something stupid. Do any of you know what this means?
  • couggolfcouggolf Member Posts: 1
    We're looking at buying a 2006 DGC STX with powerlift gate, 6 cd/dvd, and DVD system. MSRP is 30,135. Can get it for 23,000 with cash back, CF financing. Is this a good deal? Should we wait? Any recommendations, advice would be appreciated. Will there be a better time this year to buy a new STX? Thank you.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    $7k off MSRP is pretty good. I think incentives will go up by summer, but selection may be lower. If this one has everythign you want, I'd go for it.
    Did you have either side door (the sliding door) open at the time?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I'm sure it's something stupid. Do any of you know what this means?

If you leave your headlights on without keys in ignition you get warning bells. Maybe this is it?
    I'd say that's excellent too!! The only other thing you could get off it, is employee pricing IF you would know a DCX employee. I'd say go for it too!
  • lyplyp Member Posts: 2
    My wife figured it out....duh

It was chiming because the interior light was left on. I feel like a Dumb @SS. :blush:
    thank god though, that unlike Hondas, DCX minivans have a battery saving circuit that keeps you from totally draining your battery!!
  • mchiversmchivers Member Posts: 2
    Bought a brand new 2005 Grand Caravan and took it in for some recall work. It has less than 17,000 miles and the dealer's mechanic tells me that the front and rear brakes are at 25 and 35% respectively. I've read other reviews that also list brake issues. Haven't heard about a recall YET.
  • mchiversmchivers Member Posts: 2
    We took our Grand Caravan in for some recall work on heater hoses and the Dealer's mechanic told us our brakes are at about 30% & need replacing. We have less than 18k miles and mild driving conditions. The mechanic also blamed our driving but we had a used '96 caravan we bought with 50,000 miles and put more than 100,000 more on it with no brake issues. It's not your wife.
  • dkuklisdkuklis Member Posts: 2
    I've got a '97 Chrysler T&C mini van. Within the first 10 miles when the engine is cold the van will loose power then immediately catch back on. Sometimes the tach will show a dip in RPM. If this happens while stopped the car will stall. It happens at any speed. Electic is not effected. I've had the trans rebuilt, some kind of emissions valve or sensor replaced and the throttle body cleaned. Ideas? :confuse:
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    The fronts I can believe, but only 35% left on the rear is hard to believe. When I purchased my 2001 with 24,000 miles the front pads were worn almost to the metal. I replaced the pads myself, now has 52,000 miles and the pads have 75% left on them. The original rear shoes also have about the same. I think in my case, the change in drivers is why my front pads have so much life left in them despite being driven 28,000 miles.
    My 2002 T&C LX has NOT needed any disc pad replacement as of 34,390 miles. My daughter has a 1999 GC SE that did NOT need front disc pads or rear drum shoes replaced until about 55,000 miles.
    Based on this experience, I think Grand Caravan / T&C brakes last as long as any brand. ;)
  • dcotedcote Member Posts: 1
    Is adding a tow package to a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan difficult? Any advise as to towing capasity for tent trailer and full van?
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I had an Eagle Vision that did that. They replaced the battery, fuel pump and computer. It wound up being a lose wire going into the fuse box.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I have an '05 SXT with 31,000 miles on it (bought 4/04). We are on our 3rd PAIR of front rotors, 3rd pair of front brake pads, and 2nd pair of rear brake pads. In addition to that, we have had it in for service for the following:

Slow moving driver's power window (3 times).
    Driver's window fell off track
    Wiring harness in side door pinched, causing power door not to work.
    Two bad spark plugs and plug wires.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed with this vehicle. The service manager says that the brakes normally wear out quickly because it is a "heavy-duty" vehicle. Bull!

I think after the first set wore out that fast, I would have gotten ceramic pads and after market rotors.

I have a 2005 DGC. Bought it 17 months ago and so far, haven't had to do anything but change the oil and rotate the tires. I couldn't be happier.
    I have a 2005 DGC. Bought it 17 months ago and so far, haven't had to do anything but change the oil and rotate the tires. I couldn't be happier

My power window on the passenger side just "acted up", it wouldn't go up at one time, it'd go so far, stop, then continue seconds later. Of course this has only done it once and when I had it back to dealer for recall on heater clamps, they found nothing wrong.

Other than those two things, I'm very pleased with my van. I'm getting about 23mpg in suburban driving.
  • genetuckgenetuck Member Posts: 11
    Dennisctc wrote: "I'm getting about 23mpg in suburban driving"

Recently the oil companies started putting 10% ethanol into gasoline. On the first tank I used my gas mileage dropped from 22 mpg to 20 mpg. That sounds about right, as ethanol doesn't have as much energy as gasoline.
  • arthurkingarthurking Member Posts: 9
    I have a new 2006 DGC SXT. Sometimes when I apply parking brake, it will chime. It sounds like a warning bell. But I couldn't find anything wrong. The driver manual is not helpful. Also, it does not chime always. Anybody has similar situation?
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    So ... if fuel economy drops by about 9% when using 10% ethanol fuel, I sure have to wonder just how dismal fuel economy will become when the e-85 (85% ethanol) fuels become more common - or even become mandated.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Best as I can tell with 10% ethanol, fuel economy should/does only drop by 4-5%, no more. As far as mandated E85; ain't gonna happen. There simply isn't enough capacity to make that much ethanol right now and by the time there could be enough (if ever), something else better will come along.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I would have thought the fuel economy should be dropping even less than four or five percent. But so far, since 10% ethanol became standard in Texas, my fuel mileage seems to be dropping closer to ten percent. I'll update that later....not doing much traveling right now. As for ethanol availability, there would be more, and cheaper, if the U.S. didn't put a 54-cent a gallon tariff on imported ethanol from Brazil and other countries. Dropping the tariff would spur increased ethanol production in countries that produce Sugar.
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    BEFORE purchasing a Dodge/Chrysler/Honda/Toyota mini-van, I would heartily recommend an intensive reading of today's (June 4th) Washington Post article by Warren Brown. Never have I seen such lavish praise heaped upon a vehicle, the Kia Sedona, and he's a serious guy !!
    I considered the Kia Sedona before buying a Grand Caravan SX. I dismissed it without even looking at one because, from all the information I've seen, the fuel mileage is terrible. It's nowhere close to the 25 MPG that Warren Brown claims.
  • ntbillntbill Member Posts: 20
    That's normal that you ear a chime when you apply the parking brake. In fact, almost any light that popup in the dash will do a chime. Even a low winshield washer fluid will do a chime. I apply the parking brake every day and I get a chime every time. I just don't understand why sometimes you don't get a chime with the parking brake. Could it be because you turned off the engine before applying the parking brake?
    "DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group had a hit with the Chrysler Town & Country, which was the top-ranked van."

Overall, Toyota ran away with the rankings, but not in the van category.
    Here's the article from Detroit News :)

J D Power Quality Rankings
    thanks for the information. So far, I still couldn't find out why sometimes I will get a chime when I apply parking brake, and sometime not. Dealer couldn't find the reason, too. I think I perhaps just have to live with it.
    I always apply parking brake before I turn off the engine.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have an 01 DGC EX and I apply the parking brake every time before I switch to Park. Sometimes I hear the chime, but the emergency brake light is always on when applied. When I get a chance, I will check my owners manual and see if it says anything about this.
    my owner manual says nothing about this. Two other people in this forum confirmed actually I should hear a chime everytime when I apply the park brake. So it is abnormal that I CAN'T hear a chime most of time. The "brake" light does appear everytime, though.
  • ken_tcken_tc Member Posts: 2
    I have my recently purchased 2005 T&C in for some warranty work and the service manager told me someone had installed some "springs" in the rear that were causing the thumping noise I noticed going over bumps. He said they weren't original factory equipment so he is removing them for me. This van has about 30k miles - Any idea why someone would install unnecessary, nonstandard "springs" on a vehicle that is under warranty? I doubt I'll be able to track the previous owner to find out.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Can you tell us what kinda of springs they are and where they are located? They do have some after market suspension equipment that can be installed to lift a vechicle higher on it's axle, so that you wouldn't have to replace the springs. :D
  • ken_tcken_tc Member Posts: 2
    I will get the van back today with the spings. I'll look for a brand name and/or model number on them. All I know is they came off the rear. I did a quick search online and found some springs that could be installed to "improve" the ride and stability of the vehicle. Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know what I find out.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I presently own a Montana 2002 extended. I am somewhat happy with that van but I was attracted by the incentive offered by DCM in Canada.

My van is 45000 miles and all paid, the money I can get for it is ridiculous.

You guys that own one, what should I expect from that grand caravan regarding general reliability ??

The main issue are ??

Thanks in advance
    Go to www.allpar.com and see if you care about the major update coming up for the Caravan - due for '08. Your current vehicle isn't that old. You might not be happy getting an 06 or 07 when a major redesign is coming out in about a year.
    I have a year old 2006 w 12k miles. Only problem so far has been an issue with the rear power liftgate. Motor replaced under warranty. No other problems. I've heard that the 2005-2006s are generally reliable. I think struts have been mentioned as a potential problem. Engine and transmission is supposed to be pretty reliable
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    Grand Caravan SXT with towing package, electric seat and adj.pedal. I could not let go the incredible sale they have on them. 38730.00 msrp for 27777.00 + tax

However I have my reserve on the reliability , but if the van behave that is going to be a great deal ...time will tell. I am getting out of a Montana 2002 and I was pretty disapointed by the van, way to many problem for a 4 years old van. if the Dodge can just do slightly better I'll be more than happy
    Congrats. Hope you enjoy it. We've loved ours. I particularly enjoy the handling. I had a 2005 Sienna for a while that always felt like I was driving a big lumbering minivan. Felt like a soccer dad. I always feel comfortable behind the wheel of the Caravan, like I'm driving a mid to large size sedan... with tons of interior room.
    I was also worried about the reliability and didn't even consider it when we first went shopping for the Sienna. So far (fingers crossed), I've been happy with the reliability. We're using the heck out of the van. Lots of idling, lots of little kids running around the interior. Its holding up great so far.
    We owned the Sienna just a few months and it was in the shop or having problems for a month of that time, had a recall issued and several TSBs. Didn't seem all that problem free in the little time we owned it.
    Given all the gadgets we have on the van, I do however want to buy an extended warranty. I haven't found a really good deal yet, keep putting it off.