Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• idatenidaten Member Posts: 16
    If you believe in the accuracy of Edmund's TMV, it is. I just looked at my area (SF) and it looks like folks are paying 2300 over MSRP for a silver Ltd AWD. There's undoubtedly some lag in the data, but i've heard lots of stories about folks backing out of orders, and the dealers selling HH's at 5K over MSRP.

It's a first for me to pay list, too. I looked at shipping across the country and could have saved 2K, but would have lost 1/2 the savings in shipping and then would have to deal with California craziness on importing a new car, and quite likely would have not gotten the CA benefits on additional implied warranty.

This is also the first time I haven't had any forms of lost-opportunity buyer's remorse. It's a great vehicle, and I laude Toyota's engineers.

-- Rick
  • huemmrichhuemmrich Member Posts: 1
    I want to get my oil changed (but not at the dealer), and they (Wal-Mart) can't find a listing for the oil filter number for the 2006 Highlander Hybrid. They can't do the oil change without it.
    The filter is much larger than the FRAM PH3614 listed for the 3MZ-FE engine.
    The owner's manual doesn't specify the oil filter specs.

Does anyone know the FRAM or equivalent oil filter number for the 2006 Highlander Hybrid?
  • markrsmith83markrsmith83 Member Posts: 30
    I got stuck in a traffic jam yesterday without A/C, and I've also been in one with A/C.

The hybrid battery will run down to 1 or 2 bars (from 6 bars out of 8) and then the ICE kicks in to recharge it to 3 bars. It took 30 minutes to run down without A/C yesterday in bumper to bumper, occasionally creeping on battery traffic - with the fans and radio on. With A/C on, it's more like 15-20 minutes.

Based on experience the battery recharges faster when the gear is in Park than when it's in Drive (even if you aren't moving).
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    You really are the best judge as to what is reasonable. But if you need some logical arguments to support the decision (like me :-)), pick which car in the same or similar vehicle class you would buy if not the HH and compare them.

Reasonable price to us would have been $39,000 for the 4WDi, Ltd w/NAV. We paid $40K for same. If there were no HH, we would have paid $36500 (MSRP $42000) for a fully decked-out Sienna XLE AWD and saved $3500.

Given battery replacement cost is estimated at $2000, we assume that $1500 of the extra $3500 go to the SULEV, VDIM, EBD, electric motors and CVT and associated components and the Sienna has none of these.

The Sienna will return EPA 20-MPG mixed, HH is EPA rated 29-mixed. At then gas price of $2.75, we would "recover" (one never does) the extra $3500 at about 82000 miles assuming no car loan. With gas price now at $3.09 locally and if it stays there, we will recover $3500 at 73K miles. Our HH is currently returning 28.7-29.1 MPG mixed.

Seeing these numbers made our decision a little easier. Any car over $20000 is way too much for me but my mrs. tells me I am still stuck in the 80's :).
    Thanks for the specific data!
  • mmreidmmreid Member Posts: 88
    Thanks to the answers to my question about the battery running down when stuck in traffic. Seems like if you get stuck in gridlock the solution is to put the vehicle in Park.

As for paying sticker price, this is the first time we didn't negotiate on a vehicle and never paid full price before either. I did dicker on the trade in for my Acura and got the guy up to the same price as the Acura dealer was offering me back home on any vehicle I wanted. The car salesman basically said that there were no negotiations on the hybrids - that they weren't marking them up but they were selling them MSRP. My gold Limited 2WD was $40,000 with all the options except the dvd player which it didn't have and I didn't want (kids are grown and the dog in the back seat doesn't need movies). My dealer back home in Florida was asking $1,000 to get on their waiting list for just a Prius. I have no regrets about buying this vehicle. I like it better than anything I've ever driven before and even my spousal unit (who drives a BMW) likes the way it handles. He did about half the driving on our 1,000 mile round trip this past week and he was really pleased with it (he doesn't drive it at home).

mmreid
  • sbgirlsbgirl Member Posts: 22
    I bought a 2WD, non-LTD HH at MSRP in southern California. They tried to sell it with a $3k premium but they were trying to meet the end-of-month quota and dropped it for internet customers. This is my first and, hopefully only, brand new car and I definitely had to spend a little time to swallow that I'll be paying MSRP but now, I don't regret it at all. I absolutely love it and I'm glad that I got it now rather then wait and continue to drool over them.
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    I thank all you dear forks for the inputs of buying the HH experiences with somewhat emotions involved. While I was in the dealer’s place, I did check those big Toyotas; the 05 4Runner for instance, you can get it under 3k invoice with $1750.00 from Toyota incentive, in fact you are able to get 06 non-hybrid H and 06 Runner at the invoice. What a hot car the HH is right now. Oh, I spent another $1060.00 for 100k miles platinum care just in case.
  • upstateny5upstateny5 Member Posts: 62
    Turns out that the error was my misinterpretation of the screen display so all is well.
  • oahuperson12oahuperson12 Member Posts: 1
    I too have had mileage problems ... partially due to the short trips I take. I find that my gas motor engages on the slightest incline even if I don't press down on the acceleration pedal much. Is there any way to ask the Dealership to adjust the relationship between the two motors? Also, my right front window slams shut and the leather on my rear seat is puffy (after only 2000 miles and lots of TLC). This surprises me given Toyota's reputation for quality ... any similar experiences? Thanks!
  • tpatintpatin Member Posts: 11
    I've had my HH for about 1300 miles. My only concern so far is a lower than expected mileage for city - - about 25 mpg (but I do get higher than advertised mileage on the highway - - about 30 mpg at about 65-70 mph). Like you, I drive short trips, 2-3 miles one-way, on a combination of hilly and flat terrain. But I feel like I could make a decent gas mileage in-town if the ICE didn't kick in so much. Like you, it seems like the ICE starts up at the slightest incline and I'm sure the vehicle could run fine on the traction batteries if the ICE would just hold off a bit more. That's why I'm very curious to know more about both a possible software adjustment and about the possibility of installing an EV switch. I'd like to hear more about either of these two possibilities. Any info anyone?
  • tpatintpatin Member Posts: 11
    This is my first vehicle with a leather interior. What's the best way to clean and care for leather?
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    quote tpatin="This is my first vehicle with a leather interior. What's the best way to clean and care for leather?"-end quote

I have had a few leather cars and leather couches and leather books, and personally I like the Meguair's One Step Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. It comes in a red bottle, and you rub it in then come back later and lightly polish the leather with another dry cloth.

Easy to do and works very well. My couch is several years old now, and is not high grade leather, but the leather has remained very soft and well conditioned.

I use it on my full leather books too, and it keeps them in tip top shape.
    I am interested in the EV switch too and S/W modification if possible.

Until then, the car needs to break in through the first 3000 miles, so patience and a few tricks can turn in good MPG. Our HH returned only 22-24 MPG for the first 1000 miles. It returned 24-25 mpg at 2000 miles and finally reached 26-27 mpg consistently at 3000 miles. At 3500+, it is now around 28-29 MPG.

Forgive this post if you do and know all the known driving tricks already. The following is a summary of many poster's input on this board.

Check and puff up the tires to anywhere from 35-40 as others have done. Ours are at 35. This helps the car roll.
    Do a lot of anticipated rolling, even when not heading into a stop sigh or traffic light. It charges the battery quckly and sets up for the next run.
    Use cruise whenever possible because the on-board computer uses electric more than I and wife could do with our foot.
    For real good mpg, drive slower when safe and traffic condition allows.
    Find alternate routes if possible so there are less traffic, lower speed and less stops and less slopes.
    There seems to be a sweet spot at 25-30 MPH where the HH uses electric most. We can do a 6 mile loop around our town on 80% electric at that speed. On certain flat roads, it easily maintains 35-40 on electric.
    The HH also seems to like 55-60 MPH but that is practically impossible and unsafe on freeways. We are lucky to have an old country freeway with posted 55-MPH, so we use that whenever possible.
    At 3500 miles, you may be able to accelerate gently from 0 to 25 MPH on electric from a dead stop. We have been able to do this now more and more often on some flatter surface.

Hope this helps.
  • pcritpcrit Member Posts: 27
    Picking up my HH tonight, checked the site above for warranty info and got:

"Notice: This domain name expired on 09/24/05 and is pending renewal or deletion"

I've emailed the dealer who offered these warranties, no reply yet. I called the toll free number for the only Toyota Dealer in Iowa City (I assume it's the same place) and got a recorded "can not be reached as dialed". So wha't up :confuse:

Thanks.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I called the toll free number for the only Toyota Dealer in Iowa City (I assume it's the same place) and got a recorded "can not be reached as dialed"

Sometimes the toll free numbers are only available from "in state" You may want to spend a few cents and call the local number, toll charges are pretty low, compared to the price of the warranty.

Just a thought.

Jeff
    I think you have 3 years to decide if you want the extended warranty - you don't need to pick it up with the HH. I'm still trying to decide if its worth it, and that means deciphering what the California warranty is.

If you need another source for discounted warranties, email me and i'll see if i can dig up some email that folks sent me.

-- rick
  • pcritpcrit Member Posts: 27
    Just got a call from Toyotawarranty.com they are just updating their web site. They still sell the warranties.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The HH (and the RX400h) are doomed to having better, quite stellar, highway fuel economy than city. Not saying city MPG is all that bad, just not what we expected from a Toyota hybrid given the Prius experience and the "inverted" HH EPA ratings.

1. The V6 must be run often enough to keep the catalytic converter up to the optimum operating temperature for cleaning the exhaust gasses.

2. The V6 will also be run often enough to keep the engine cooling water jacket HOT enough to make the automatic climate control reheat/remix mode operational.

The latter need was overcome in the 2nd generation Prius by allowing a c-best option to be set bypassing the reheat/remix mode. But given the over-riding factor of the catalyst heating it isn't likely this c-best option will be offered for the HH. Lexus has already informed me that it will not be made available for the RX400h.
    I was watching the Daily Show tonight (last night's show which they repeat at 8 p.m. Eastern time) and they aired a commercial from Toyota that basically was taking a "Save the Earth and the environment" point of view which ended with a shot of the Highlander and the Prius and a close up of the "Hybrid Synergy Drive" tag we all have on the back of our vehicles. First time I'd seen a hybrid commercial ever (do I watch limited channels or is this new?) and it was interesting to see how they are promoting the cars. Toyota definitely appealing to the "green" consumer. Just thought I'd mention it. The ad was definitely promoting the environment and at first I couldn't even figure out who was sponsoring it! And me an ex-advertising executive (in a past life). . .

If anyone reading this is interested and wants to see it, it will most likely (but I won't swear) re-air on cable after the "new" show at 11 -- here they show the previous night's show again after the new one at 11:30 p.m. Commercial was towards the end. Daily Show is pretty popular and just won 2 Emmys but, like I said, this was the first time I've ever seen an ad for a hybrid in my universe. Either I move in tiny circles or Toyota taking really getting aggressive.

By the way, I had the first "weird" thing go wrong today. I had a problem getting an audio cassette to eject. It kept popping out only half way so I pushed it in with my finger and it popped back out so I could remove it. Weird.

mmreid
  • sky_kingsky_king Member Posts: 8
    Today while driving to my Dr's office, I thought I'd really try to get the best MPG possible.
    With mostly highway driving until the last 2 miles, I averaged 31.8 MPG according to the Nav. system computer. The length of the trip was 21 miles. The a/c was NOT on.
    I currently have 1300 miles on the clock.
  • johnnyroasterjohnnyroaster Member Posts: 23
    I saw the same spot for the first time tonight while watching the Red Sox. I thought at first it was for a drug or chemical company. I have seen other Toyota Hybrid spots with the "Moving You Forwards" tag line that featured both the Prius and the HH. There is another ad that boasts the HH's performance compared with popular sports cars. Maybe I just watch too much TV or I watch the shows they are targeting more often than you. I like the new ad.
    While HH is very different than the Prius and has its weakness, it seems quite capable on streets. Poorer street performance should result in decreasing MPG as city miles increase but this has not been our experience. When driven conservatively in favorable traffic condition, a 16-mile city loop in our area (San Jose, CA) can add a net delta of +0.5 MPG.

The car is very responsive or sensitive to driving style and driver demands. Want power and speed? Punch it and it flies. Want to stretch a tank to the max? It can crawl like a turtle on electric. It all depends on what the driver wants.
    The following article has a 1 line blurp about a Fuel Cell version of Highlander on a tour through CA.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/industries/automotive/12781024.htm
    Found a link this afternoon on CNN homepage from Fortune magazine entitled "Detroit has Hybrid Envy" and end of article has Toyota claiming it is going to be making the hybrids cheaper and more affordable. Link to article is:
    http://www.fortune.com/fortune/articles/0,15114,1106636,00.html?cnn=yes

I don't know about anyone else but when I am stopped a light and I see the folks in the car behind me obviously pointing at the "hybrd synergy drive" logo on the back of my HH, I get a cheap thrill.

mmreid
  • qsortqsort Member Posts: 1
    Just received my Consumer Reports today, and it gives the Highlander Hybrid Limited the top rating among all midsized SUVs. Outscores the Lexus RX330, Honda Pilot, and BMW X5. Based on its mileage numbers, it determines an annual fuel cost of ~$2000, which is about $1000 less than the other comparables listed in the article.
  • chrisp96chrisp96 Member Posts: 13
    I, too, have no regrets paying full sticker price, and then some, for this vehicle. I enjoy the fact that it can take off like a rocket, yet sips gas unlike most of the other SUVs out there. This baby's got power without the guilt.

My German friend, veteran of the Autobahn, thoroughly enjoys driving it; and claims it feels just as fast and powerful as a turbocharged diesel BMW. Plus, its strong low-end torque gives the HH a faster start than most other automatics out there.
    Thanks for the link! I love that "pooh pooh" part.

Years ago, a Ford sales manager friend disparaged all japanese trucks and claimed that our trucks would always be superior. At the time, I told him that such arrogance would breed complacency, a sure way to finish last. The Japanese are at our auto empire gates and my friend is not happy.

Let's see if this little shake-up can awaken the big 3's can-do attitude. They have been whining, complaining, stewing in complacency and hogging status quo for much too long.
  • gazguzlergazguzler Member Posts: 137
    Tell us more bc I can't find this review on their website. did it give mileage on test?
  • discussion1discussion1 Member Posts: 103
    CR reporter the following

HH overall mpg with regular fuel was 22 mpg.
    City was 16 mpg, hwy was 28 mpg.

Lexus overall was 23 mpg with regular fuel.
    City was 16, hwy was 29 mpg.

They reported test results of the Merc. ML350, Subaru B9, Pathfinder, Land Rover LR3, Grand Cherokee. Overall mpg was 16 (premium), 16(premium), 15(premium), 13(premium), 14(regular) respectively. City/hwy breakdown was 11/24, 11/25, 10/23, 9/21, 9/21 respectively.

Our HH now averages 27-28 mpg, 5 to 6 better than CR's result.
  • ulevulev Member Posts: 57
    Yup !!
    I remember those early posts on this site when gas was @ $2.50 give or take...
    and we all argued about the 'value' of paying MSRP...
    I paid MSRP on my Gold 4wi Unlimited model and still groan about it, but in the long run, it's nice to be ahead of the curve or Tsunami which ever the case...
  • jdkahlerjdkahler Member Posts: 50
    CR puts its reviews in its paid area, since subscriptions are the only way they pay for what they do (no ads, buy from dealers like us at MSRP or above in this case I'm sure) you either need to buy the magazine or access the paid site.

The article reflects the experience many of us have had, the HH is a great ride. Since CR does the same essential test driving for mileage on every vehicle (sure, weather changes will have some effect), their numbers are good for comparison purposes.

Drove a group of professors I work with to a meeting yesterday in the HH, one is a first gen Prius owner, and they were all impressed, commenting on the ride and how for 4 adults there was lots of room. I suspect if it was jsut an SUV (which I wouldn't have chosen had it not been a hybrid) the conversaton would have gone elsewhere....... - John
  • ulevulev Member Posts: 57
    I attempted to access the info on the CR site, and as you have reported, I have to sunscribe to access...

I am just curious as to what the MPG figures were reported for the HH?
    Did they also comment on the acceleration? :confuse:

I know...go buy the magazine...
    I'm subscribed to CR and the results still aren't on their site . . . even when you get in. (Even as a guest, you should be able to see highlights of a test).

But, further up, there's a post with all the MPG results, which are poor but better than other SUVs.
    It is really cheap to subscribe to Consumer Reports on-line - we get the magazine but also do the on-line membership (I couldn't find the results either) and I think it costs $12 a year. You also get to do feedback as a "member" if you so choose to do it. It is worth the subscription and the on-line membership if for nothing else but the annual April issue on new cars. They also do an amazing job of reviewing "used" cars and have specific lists of repairs and issues for each model and year. They have buyer recommended cars as well as "don't buy" cars, both new and used.

Not a commercial for them but just saying its definitely worth it's relatively low cost (I can't recall what the subscription to the magazine costs).

mmreid
    Groan is right, I still shake my head once in a while thinking about the price we paid. As the mileage increases, I am appreciating it more but...

With gas locally back up from 3.09 to 3.19 a gallon this week, I am beginning to groan a bit less :).
    Bought a copy of the magazine this AM and read in over breakfast.

Ouch! :cry: CR got only 22 MPG mixed off their HH :cry:. While it is decent compared against other mid-size SUV they tested, it is too low to excite CR readers.

We had to buy gas today, filled up to 14.009 gallons at $3.19 (premium) for 423 miles. No top-off this time, stopped pumping when the auto-cutoff popped. A whopping 30.19 MPG by our own calculation, on-board computer claims an impressive 31.5 MPG. WOW!!! First time ever we broke the 30-MPG mark. It took a lot of work, a lot of crawling and sacrificing a lot of time for gas, probably got a few drivers angry at us :). At least we have finally proven to ourselves that the car can indeed break the 30 MPG barrier if we really try.

For this new tank, I will need to drive it normal and see what the MPG will be.
    Congrats!

I think your computer's more accurate than the fill-up. So, you really did great.

Just how I felt went I broke the 30. But it's more kudos to the driver than the car. As you say, you have to drive it like a golf cart at times.

The HH can do it but it shouldn't be this much work for us.
    I'm considering prepaid maintainence. Best price i've seen for the 4 year / 55K mile is around $670, which includes the 5K service intervals, which is primarily oil change, and 3 major services. I figure the oil change will be a bit of losing proposition, given that I'll want to run Mobil 1, which means i'[ll be paying for the oil twice, in all likelihood.

Any idea what the major service runs for the HH?

Has anyone else gone the prepaid route and compared the numbers?

-- rick
    It does make you wonder how CR drives. No one (like no one) has ever claimed to have gotten 16mpg in any circumstances and I think it would be harder to get 16 than 30. You'd have to floor it every light and speed up if the motors kick in.

But even the combined 22 is far worse than anyone's claimed.
    The 16 mpg in town is abnormally low, their drivers must really be gunning the car, a lot of jack-rabbit type driving.

I also wonder if CR checked the tire pressure. If they used 32 psi, it probably will adversely impact the mpg.

I am trying 40 psi with this next tank.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    CR puts its reviews in its paid area, since subscriptions are the only way they pay for what they do (no ads, buy from dealers like us at MSRP or above in this case I'm sure) you either need to buy the magazine or access the paid site

Call your Library! Most public librarys subscribe to a data base callled EBSCO HOST. You should be able to access it from your home internet, and read CR on line. I believe that the current and most recent 2 months issues are excluded, but for back issues, it is great.
  • energyeconenergyecon Member Posts: 16
    OK, got the Scangauge. It plugs right into the computer output socket under the dash, just to the left of the steering column.

At first I thought it would not work w/ the HH because it turned off after 15 seconds of non-ICE running, thinking that the vehical was off. A call to the company (maybe a one person biz?) --the person who picked up the phone mentioned he programmed it. It does work with the HH. The trick, not mentioned in the manual, is to set the fuel type to Hybrid. With this setting, the guage works great.

It gives the missing info--trip MPG--plus numerous other bits of info: digital instantaneous MPG, daily average MPG, digital speed, battery voltage (only the 12V bat), percentage of enegine load, and many other possible bits of arcane info.

It also reads any error codes the computer might be storing, for the technically minded.

All this for $130 pp. Such a deal!
    CR published a link for subscribers to get to the HH article.
    http://www.ConsumerReports.org?source=CR26

Another article about declining sales figure of larger cars, more like a crash.
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=aNEyMGdjmVfY&refer=home#

UAW is apparently quite concern because GM is about to roll out more large vehicles while sales figures for the Tahoe just dropped 56%.

Watching GM's VP answering questions about larger cars is disappointing. The VP was not arrogant but was quite sure that large cars would continue to sell well although there will be little increase in the coming years. His claim is that people who want large cars are still out there and they will buy them regardless of gas prices. His comments seemed to have implied that the current sales numbers will hold without significant increase but neither will there be a decrease.

The sales figures announced in the news article above just destroyed his claim.

I wish he would have said something like GM has seen the light and will begin to develop a new generation of hi-tech gas efficient high performance reliable vehicle to rival the foreign car companies.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The sales figures announced in the news article above just destroyed his claim.

I wish he would have said something like GM has seen the light and will begin to develop a new generation of hi-tech gas efficient high performance reliable vehicle to rival the foreign car companies."

Concur with your comments. How about a quote from the original Airplane! movie:

"First the earth cooled. Then the dinosoars came. But then they got too big and fat, and all died and turned into oil."

Maybe the same quote is true of the mammoth SUVs... only they die and turn into scrap metal.
    I don't see this link for CR subs. Can you direct us?

The link you sent takes us to the main page, which has no mention of the HH

The ice age killed dinosaurs. GMosaurus will be extinct by global warming.
    Which issue of Consumer Reports is that in? November? I haven't gotten one since the October issue and I still can't find it on-line. That link in a previous post to the article on-line takes you back to the home page. I tried to search at the website since I'm a member but couldn't find it.

I filled up for the first time since coming back from Tennessee over a week ago and the station was out of anything but 87 octane and it was $3.09! Yikes.

mmreid
  • hhvahhva Member Posts: 37
    Tonight's (10/3) CBS evening news did a segment on the Hh, slumping sales for Ford and GM, and rising gas prices. It featured a guy in NYC who traded his Mercedes sedan for an Hh. He said the waiting list was over a year(?) but he "knew somebody" so he got lucky.
    I don't think that wait time is accurate but it was right there on CBS.

GM had best rethink its bigger is OK outlook.
  • hhvahhva Member Posts: 37
    November. I subscribe and just got mine today.