Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• pearlanderpearlander Member Posts: 8
    Bummer. We have this on our Benz and it's a nice feature.
  • joep0000joep0000 Member Posts: 11
    When is the 2007 Highlander Hybrid expected to be in dealer showrooms? Thanks
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have decided to purchase a fuel-efficient car, such as a hybrid or a subcompact car, versus buying a pickup truck. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 9, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you purchased and what pickup truck you were considering buying.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    When is the 2007 Highlander Hybrid expected to be in dealer showrooms? Thanks

Historically non-hybrid HLs have arrived in the September timeframe; according to the Toyota build schedule in kdhspyder's post the HH will arrive in October. :)
  • fishkeeperfishkeeper Member Posts: 7
    Historically non-hybrid HLs have arrived in the September timeframe; according to the Toyota build schedule in kdhspyder's post the HH will arrive in October.

FYI, the federal tax credit is cut in half for HHs purchased after September 30th.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Assuming it isn't extended/increased, as before..... ;)
  • fishkeeperfishkeeper Member Posts: 7
    Of course, but there are no guarantees. My state, Virginia, is already starting to scale back the hybrid incentives, like HOV restrictions.
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    was offered free pinstriping on my new 2006 HH Limited. Has anyone done this? How does it look?
    FYI - Mine is Bluestone Metalic.

I really like the looks of the HH and do not want to detract from it, but if anyone has pictures, that would be great!

Thanks.
  • terryp2terryp2 Member Posts: 9
    My HH is also Bluestone Metallic with An Almond Pinstripe; looks great.

However, the greatest appearance addition I just had done was the addition of Running Boards. This should be standard.

Terry
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Agreed. We added the chrome step bars and they just set off the relatively plain exterior look. My wife wanted the hood deflector and the wind deflector for the sunroof to dress it all up.
  • pdx35pdx35 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know of any good photos of Highlanders with the running boards or chrome tube steps installed? I'm thinking of buy a new Hihy with these, but I'd like to see some pics first.

Thanks
    On the Toyota site, there are several pictures of Highlander with running boards, and steps.

Check out the options page, and use the highlitghted links to see pics as well.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    All the steps and running boards do is get your clothes filthy in the winter. :mad:
    Not if you are careful, as I am sure your Mama told you to be. :P

And remember, if you are not 6', and especially for the ladies, it makes it much easier to get in!
  • peraltaperalta Member Posts: 94
    It felt like a down grade compared to a cheap hyundai elantra that I used to drive which has a trip computer with average MPG display.

My sienna's trip computer also has average MPG. But what in the world is toyota thinking about not offering average MPG in the highlander's trip computer????

I got my highlander hybrid today (base 4WD) excited to see how the average MPG compares to my sienna and the previous hyundai elantra, only to find out that there is none.

A real disappointment.

Toyota, wake up!!!!
    Do you have the NAV system? It diffenately has the Ave mpg.
    Almond? What color is your interior. Mine is grey.

Anyway you can provide a picture? I believe that is some help on how to attach a digital picture.

Thanks
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Also post the pics in the Toyota Highlander Owners: Photo Gallery discussion -- see post 32 for a HL with pinstripes.
    I don't have the NAV.
    Mine is base HiHy 4WD, no options.
    Build date, 10/05.
    No average MPG option on the MFD (supposed to be the fifth cycle on the MFD buttton?).

Is there a computer upgrade for this?
  • jslatejslate Member Posts: 25
    I have the Limited version that has that feature. I believe there is a tool that you can buy that gives you all sorts of diagnostic information including MPG. Check the old messages for the name.

Jim
  • newski3newski3 Member Posts: 42
    I have the HH Limited w/Nav. Of course the Nav has the Average MPG readout. But, I also have an AVG MPG readout in the info displayed under the Speedometer. All I have to do is push the button there until the Average MPG cycles up. My assumption is that the Base model also has this under-the-speedometer readout???
  • mroczkamroczka Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone, had that clip replaced. I heard about this recall 2 weeks ago, that some clip could fall down from the dashboard and could possibly cause an accident. As I understand it, that owners of (HH ) are to be notified ? Has anyone had this done? Frank
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Still in the process of sliding the furniture around ;) and breaking out more focused dicussions fromthese big one. The latest one here is the Highlander Hybrid: Driving Tips & Tricks discussion. If you have perfromance tips for getting the most out of the THH, that's the place to share them!
  • deserthhdeserthh Member Posts: 11
    I have not received any type of notice from Toyota. I have examined and pulled-apart these panels next to the accelerator pedal. The blind plastic fastners are pretty typical and seem to have a good grip. I'm not worried about them at all, and will have them serviced the next time I bring-in my HH.
    Mine did not have an average MPG display. It is an early production base model (non-limited), non-nav highlander hybrid 4WD.

I bought a new version of scangauge (scangauge ll). Here's what I found.

Trip #1:
    highlander hybrid = 28 MPG
    wife's 2000 elantra = 27 MPG (exact same route)

Trip #2: HiHY = 33
    Trip #3 = HiHY = 38
    Trip #4 = HIHY = 35

Not bad for a beginer hybrid driver with less than 200 miles on the odo.

The good thing about the scangauge ll (aside from many features) is that at the current ave MPG setting, it resets everytime you turn the car on so it invites you to beat your last trip's mileage.

Mark
  • sbgirlsbgirl Member Posts: 22
    I got a notice last week. I'll have to look at it more closely but basically it was to replace the clip that hold the floor mat in place on the driver's side. My oil change is due so I'll get it done soon. But I had also heard of another recall due to a trim that can become loose.
  • mario89mario89 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying a Highlander Hybrid Limited. I am so disappointed it does not include bluetooth. Has anyone checked into having it installed? Am I making a mistake buying this SUV? I am nervous now. :confuse:
    Are you serious :confuse:

Let me assure you that nice as Bluetooth is, it certainly isn't something to base a decision to buy a car on.

I get along nicely, very nicely, with my Verizon RAZR phone with Bluetooth headset. If that is how you decide to buy a car, then I would say yes, you most likely are making a mistake. ;)
  • nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    You can always get it's cousin the 400h if you need Bluetooth. They even throw in a rear view camera & HID's for the extra 10,000.
    ROFL ! :P
    Interior leather is Tan.

After TS Ernesto passes here (Tampa) will figure out how to post a picture.

Terry
  • mmreidmmreid Member Posts: 88
    I went to Toyota at 9 this morning for the recall and was out by 9:25 a.m. - I had gotten the notice on Monday. If you go, bring the notice with you. I did have an appointment. A no brainer. We are about to do a thousand mile round trip over Labor Day so they checked my tires for me while it was there.
    I now have just over 10,000 miles on my HH. Still a happy camper. :)
  • 8241582415 Member Posts: 38
    We still have not received any notice from Toyota. In what month that your HH was built? Ours was built in November 05. If ours was older than yours and we have no notice then we will contact Toyota.

Thanks.
  • mmreidmmreid Member Posts: 88
    When I called to schedule the appointment, the service tech said they could tell from your vin number if you were part of the recall - the later the model, the less likely to be part of it. When I told him I had received notice of the recall from Toyota, he said "never mind, when do you want to come in?". When I asked he said if you got a notice, you need to bring it in and if you don't, I assumed you aren't part of it. There was a recall on my prior car (an Acura) and neighbors had the same transmission in their Honda van and both of us got notified pretty much at the same time of a transmission problem on recall. Bought from different dealers at different times.

I bought my HH in June of 2005 and not sure when it was built but when it I got it it had been on the dealer's lot only 2 days and still hadn't been prepared for sale. They sort of rushed to get it ready for me so I could drive it 500 miles to home and later we found a few odds and ends still wrapped in plastic and stuff like that.

I have the distinct impression that it was earlier model Highlanders (not hybrids) and some of the early 2006 models that were part of this recall. I'm assuming if they don't notify you, you don't need to worry about it. The tech guy did say they can tell from your vin number (if you have taken it in to them for service) whether or not you are part of this particular floor clip recall.
    I just posted 3 pics with pinstripe on

www.carspace.com/terryp2/

Enjoy.
    Terry
    While looking at my pics; click "download original" for a larger more detailed look.

Terry
  • nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    I have a Highlander Hybrid 4WD-i that is now 15 months old and has about 17K miles. Often times when coming to a stop I hear a rather loud click. It seems to be coming from under the vehicle toward the front. I do not recall hearing this when new but recently I am hearing the click more often and more pronounced. Is this a common noise or should I have it checked out by my dealer?

Wes
  • 8241582415 Member Posts: 38
    Ours is about 9 months old and 17K. There is no loud click at anytime. You should have it checked out. Please come back and update us.

Thanks,
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    Hi Wes,
    Louder and more often is not good. It is prudent to check and track down cause of that noise. We are at 17K+ miles as well, have not heard this click but will start paying attention.

Cal
  • cainepcainep Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone have any experience of driving a Highlander Hybrid 4WD in light snow on regular M&S tires? I'm talking about snow heavy enough for 2WD vehicles to require chains, but nothing more than 3-4 inches deep. Can the vehicle operate in full 4WD mode?

A Highlander Hybrid 4WD is at the top of my list to replace my current FX35 when the lease finishes next month, and I was just wondering how it would hold up if there was snow around on my frequent trips to Mammoth Lakes or Tahoe.

Thanks!
    One of my best buddies lives in Nevada City, and the whole family has a place up at the Lake, and never had a problem this last Winter. :)

That said, like all 4 wheel/all wheel drive cars, I am sure a heavy enough Winter and you will certainly need chains coming over Doner Pass, and like areas. I never needed them last Winter, and I have a AWD Murano. ;)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "light" snow, however deep, is not a challenge even for all those want-to-be AWD versions that are really only FWD. I run my AWD 2001 RX300 on summer only tires all year 'round unless that light snow gets packed down or has an ice layer underneath, then it's time for snowchains.
  • luckyleeluckylee Member Posts: 5
    I pull a small boat with my HH. No towing problems, but the wires of my trailer lights were pinched under the spare tire and shorted. I had to replace the HH fuses...which are under the cowling under the hood. Little pushbutton latches which apparently are only good for one use. Toyota or anyone: is there a good, REUSEABLE replacement for the pushtabs that hold the cowling down?

Thanks, everyone!
    Well, they are re-useable, but you do need the special tool they use to do it.... :P

Check with the local auto parts store, or the good folks at snap-on, that I got mine from.
  • deserthhdeserthh Member Posts: 11
    instructions for fastening and removing the fuse cover clips are in your owners manual, section 7. They are reusable.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Does anyone have any experience of driving a Highlander Hybrid 4WD in light snow on regular M&S tires? I'm talking about snow heavy enough for 2WD vehicles to require chains, but nothing more than 3-4 inches deep. Can the vehicle operate in full 4WD mode?"

Yes, it can operate all four wheels. However, the rear wheels are driven by electric motors, and will cut out if the motors overheat. This is unlike a conventional "AWD" SUV, which will continue to power all wheels. The HH is not really intended for any kind of "off-road" use. For occaisional snow, fine. If you plan to run through unploughed snow, you may find yourself with out the use of the rear wheels. Same situation for sand.
  • 2006rsx2006rsx Member Posts: 32
    How long does it take for the motors to overheat?
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    My thoughts and some first-hand experience :).

The rear electric motor only engages when necessary. Once the need passes, the motor is shut down and the car becomes a normal 2WD. Unless one can conjure up a situation where the rear motor is always engaged, burning out the rear motor in reasonable driving is extremely unlikely. Toyota may even have some system built-in to just not turn ON that motor.

Can the HH handle deep snow? I have no first-hand experience yet. Here is a report of a 2WD version that did not like sand. Also a little blurb on someone hearing someone getting stuck in Reno on snow packed surface. This contradicts our positive experience.
    http://www.evworld.com/blogs/index.cfm?page=blogentry&authorid=12&blogid=270&arc- hive=0

Canadian Driver published a test of the HH on snow covred surface. You can read that here:
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/traction2006.htm

My first hand experience on snow packed road is no problem at all. We visited Yosemite last winter and spent another weekend up in Donner pass area renting a cabin. Yosemite has slushy surfaces in an area where we wanted to walk and the car took on the slush, plowed through some snow and let us reach the parking lot. I wish we had shot photos of the area to post. We thought the park would have cleared all paved surfaces by then (7AM). The plow came later to clear the road but left our parking area alone (thank goodness) and we "plowed" our way through slush and dirty snow out to the cleared roadway. The lush and snow were about 6 to 8 inches thick. No problem.

Donner was quite an experience. It started to snow in the afternoon and continued into early evening right when we were leaving to come home. Soon, the roads were under packed snow with new snow accumulating. our friends in two other vans got nervous and put on chains because of the steep up and down surfaces. I decided to trust the 4WDi and kept going. Again, no problem. I would say the new snow was only about 2 or 3 inches with packed surface of at most another 2 to 3 inches. I did have Spike-Spyder in the car just in case. We also had replaced our stock tires with the Goodyear Fortera, that might have helped.

On dirt road, we drive on ranch trails as a matter of necessity. On rock-packed well maintained dirt road, the HH handles it just fine. On poorly maintained surface with ruts and holes, we just pick our way through carefully to avoid damaging the undercarriage, again no problem. When a rut was way too deep, we stacked rocks and stones into the hole. In rainy season, we often have to drive on the same trails and there will be slippery patches, this is when the VDIM comes on to help. So far, no problem. I won't take this car onto the Rubicon but will not hesitate driving on ranch trails as long as we exercise common sense and sound judgment.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "How long does it take for the motors to overheat?"

No idea. But you could always wait for the motors to cool down.

I think that if you are cautious, the AWD should serve the need for casual winter driving. The above review seems well put.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I think a great deal of this discussion should center on the tires. I put a set of Nokian WR's on my HH, on delivery. We are soon to go into winter here in the mtns of western NC, and we'll see how they do.