Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    The Hybrid Highlander is definitely the current body style. It will have a slightly different grille and bumper. It will also have LED taillights and a chrome bar above the license plate area.

The Hybrid will be offered in the same models, 2- and 4-wheel drive, standard and Limited grades. I'm not sure about whether the third seat will be standard, but it will be available. I think other options will be similar to the regluar, but don't know much about that.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    As of today, Toyota.jp is advertizing both the Harrier(RX) and Kluger(HL) in Hybrid format. I assume they are now both available in Japan. The sheet metal (for the HL) hasn't changed (looks like I was wrong). Appearently the current model will be with us for a little while yet. Toyota must have decided to lenghten the cycle on the HL. Maybe the sales numbers are still pretty good. Sure like the colour of the Hybrid Kluger on their web site. Check it out.
  • carz89carz89 Member Posts: 16
    I just saw the press release regarding the now-available Hybrid Kluger in Japan, which will be marketed in the U.S. as the Hybrid Highlander. The mileage claim for the Kluger-H was 41 mpg, which initially caused my jaw to drop! Then I remembered that previous stories predicted the Hybrid Highlander to achieve 27 mpg, and I became skeptical. I found another site on the internet (carstadium.net) - which I suppose sells cars in Japan - stating that the Hybrid Kluger gets 17.8 km/l, which converts to 42 mpg. These numbers are somewhat believable, considering that the Prius gets 60 mpg (City) under ideal conditions. I thought of the following questions which may explain the difference between 41 mpg and the prediction of 27 mpg: (1) is the 41 mpg claim just for city driving? (2) does the U.S. require more emission controls than Japan which might degrade the mpg? (3) is the "official" means of measuring fuel economy in Japan significantly different than what is used in the U.S? (4) is the air in Japan half as dense as the air in the U.S.? Any opinions or actual knowledge out there regarding the HH mileage?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Seems too good to be true. I like the Highlander if it pans out to get that kind of mileage..

http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=9649
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    "(2) does the U.S. require more emission controls than Japan which might degrade the mpg?"

I don't know for sure but I find that highly unlikely. The U.S. has now been surpassed by second-world nations (e.g., China) on fuel economy requirements, so I can't imagine we'd be ahead of a nation like Japan on emissions...
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    The difference between Japan & U.S. MPG is the test cycle. The Japanese cycle is based upon slower driving, with less wind resistance, and therefore higher MPGs.

As for emissions, Japan & U.S. are probably about equal, but the California standards are now the toughest in the world.

troy
  • bouvsrusbouvsrus Member Posts: 13
    Greetings. We average about 25 in mostly city driving (actual based on tank although calculated from NAV display checked on 7 tanks always nearly identical mpg), some tanks a bit higher, with our Ltd AWD HH. Runs great, huge savings from our '97 Expedition which avg 10 mpg. Quiet ride except on hare accleration.

One unexpected surprise, left phone charger plugged in, no phone attached, in airport parking for 7 days, came back battery dead. Jumped and on our way...figure the charger drained the small battery?

Great car, smooth ride. Satisfied customer.
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Sunbyrne:

Japan doesn’t sell the PZEV’s in some automobiles as available here in the states (Prius II in Japan is lacking the PZEV HW as an example). I do not know about the rest.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • nydrivernydriver Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard anything definitive about when the Highlander Hybrid is going to be available? I get a different story every time I talk to a Toyota dealer: Not until the end of this summer, not until next year, not for another TWO YEARS (!)--this guy said it was because the demand for the Prius had set back the HH schedule, but I wonder if his dealership simply isn't going to be allotted many HHs and he wanted to steer me to something else. My current car lease expires in June, and I was hoping to go into the HH, but this is seeming unlikely.
  • copelandtoyotacopelandtoyota Member Posts: 2
    This is the latest news from Toyota reps in the Northeast Region. Highlander hybrids will be available only in 4x4 V6 models. Navigation is only available with Limited models. The first batches will be arriving in late June. Toyota is using a different allocation process to how many Highlander hybrids dealers will get compared to the Prius. A set number of vehicles is allocated to each dealer, The customer can specify color and model, or what we call "preferencing" the vehicle. What this means is that rather than randomly wait to get the vehicle with the equipment and color the buyer wants, the buyer places a deposit and specifies if they want a regular 4x4 V6 or Limited model (with NAV or no NAV) and what exterior color and interior color. Exact pricing has not been announced, but I was informed that a "loaded" version will cost around $41k-$42k.
  • boylan13boylan13 Member Posts: 13
    Hey, thanks for your post. June is actually great news! Too bad you guys are in Boston and I'm in New York otherwise I'd buy it from you. Does that pricing estimate include dealer premiums? Because Queensboro Toyota in New York City told me that there will be a $10,000 premium above MSRP on the Highlander Hybrid. Is this consistent with what you guys are expecting to get in Boston?

Thanks,

-Chris
  • avantiavanti Member Posts: 27
    Wow. Now why can't any of my Toyota dealers tell me these things? I'm allegedly on a "list" at two local dealers, but no one will take a written order or even any kind of deposit.
    The only thing the half-dozen local dealers I've contacted agree with, is that the HH will sell for MSRP. No premiums.
    It makes sense for Limiteds to be loaded, with the only real option being NAV, but what about the regular models? Unless Toyota changes how the 2006 options are set up, there are a lot of different possibilities. Is it likely that all HHs will basically be the same? For example, you could have:
    -base model with basically one setup (i.e. all
    have side airbags, one radio package, etc.); or
    -Limited model with basically one option setup; or
    -Limited as above plus NAV.
    Selling them as copelandtoyota described would make the whole thing much easier.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Because Queensboro Toyota in New York City told me that there will be a $10,000 premium above MSRP

That is a bit steep. You think they will sell any at that price? It will be more expensive than an RX400h.
    Sorry, I am still confused. Do we have any idea of what level of equipment a typical base model HH will be shipped with?
    In other words, what are the odds I could get one for more like $33-34,000? I don't want leather or a sunroof, for example.
    If both base and Limited models are all going to be built pretty much "loaded," I'm losing interest fast. There are a LOT of vehicles out there, especially as I close in on $40,000...
  • copelandtoyotacopelandtoyota Member Posts: 2
    "Do we have any idea of what level of equipment a typical base model HH will be shipped with? In other words, what are the odds I could get one for more like $33-34,000?"

Avanti, at this stage it is all speculative until further notice from Toyota. As far as we know regarding a base model Highlander hybrid, we were informed they will be equipping it similarly to what exists currently in the 4x4 V6 models. I posted the options earlier as an example of an order someone had actually placed. Currently a Highlander 4x4 V6 can come without the leather package (LP) and heated seats (HD) which will keep the cost down. In other words, if you see a Highlander 4x4 V6 at your local dealer, a safe bet is to add $3000 - $4000 ontop of the MSRP.
    Thank you copelandtoyota, that makes sense. I was figuring on $4,000 extra right along.
    It sounds as though I should be able to make an order of some kind for one then, even if it is as simple as white with beige, MSRP $35,000 or less.
    I read in a review (sort of vague due to Toyota's press embargo) a week or so back that curtain airbags and a power driver's seat were standard in the base HH too. Maybe Toyota will tweak the HH options after all...
    How much torque is the HH supposed to put out? I understand the HP is around 268 combined, 208 if the batteries are exhausted.
  • sam52sam52 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Colorado and have been on the waiting list for a hybrid highlander since last summer. I also had to give the dealer a $500 deposit to be put on the list. I am 5th on the list and I have been told that the HH will be availabe in mid June. I've also been told that they may only get 4 highlanders, in which case, I'm out of luck. Can't understand why there is so little information available.
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    SUBJECT: 2006 Highlander Hybrid Price Announcement

Toyota Motor Sales, USA, is pleased to announce pricing for the eagerly awaited 2006 Highlander Hybrid gas/electric mid-size sport utility vehicle with Hybrid Synergy Drive®.

The Highlander Hybrid joins the popular Prius sedan, making Toyota the first brand to offer both a passenger car and an SUV with hybrid powertrains. Pricing will be announced to the public on Friday, April 1.

With its cutting edge Hybrid Synergy Drive® powertrain and long list of standard features and safety equipment, Highlander Hybrid takes its place as perhaps the most advanced production Mid SUV ever produced. Considering its best in class performance, fuel economy and emissions in addition to its best in class comfort and safety, there is simply nothing else on the road in the Mid SUV segment that can be compared to Highlander Hybrid.

When it joins the Toyota line-up in early June, the Highlander Hybrid will be the first seven-passenger hybrid SUV in the industry. With its Hybrid Synergy Drive® powertrain producing 268 horsepower, Highlander Hybrid will offer exhilarating acceleration performance while achieving a stunning 30 mpg for the 2WD models and 29 mpg for 4WD-i models (combined EPA test). In addition, Highlander Hybrid will be rated as a Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV), one of the most stringent emissions ratings in the industry and the only Mid SUV to attain this low level of emissions.

In addition to delivering outstanding performance and fuel economy, Highlander Hybrid also provides all of the interior versatility and comfort expected from a mid-size SUV.

Highlander Hybrid features seven-passenger seating with three rows, rear privacy glass and a rear heater system. The second-row 60/40 split fold-down reclining seat and third-row seat fold flat into the floor to create added cargo space and utility.

Highlander Hybrid will be available in 2WD or electric four-wheel-drive with intelligence (4WD-i) models. Highlander Hybrid models include an impressive list of performance / technology features including:

• Hybrid Synergy Drive® with 268 HP combined output
    • Star Safety System with Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management System (VDIM)
    • Electrically Powered Air Conditioner
    • Electric Power Steering
    • Electronically Controlled Brakes
    • Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT)
    • Unique styling including a new front bumper with wide intake, new chrome grille and license plate garnish, LED taillights, in-glass antenna, Hybrid Synergy Drive® badging, and new 17" split 5-spoke aluminum wheels
    • Technology enhanced Optitron illuminated gauges featuring a multi-information display

Popular optional equipment on the conventional Highlander that has been standardized on Highlander Hybrid includes:

• Driver and Front Passenger Seat-mounted Side and Front- and Second-Row Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags
    • Power Driver’s Seat (8-way)
    • Mudguards
    • Immobilizer and HomeLink Garage Door Opener
    • Power Heated Outside Mirrors and Windshield De-icer
    • Towing Prep Package
    • DRL

The additional features alone are worth over $1,700. Although Highlander Hybrid contains advanced new hardware and technology, we are pleased to still offer outstanding value. Highlander Hybrid has a starting MSRP of $33,030 for the 2WD model and $34,430 for the 4WD-i model.

Highlander Hybrid Limited adds additional luxury features and value worth almost $4,000 over the conventional Highlander Limited:

• Driver and Front Passenger Seat-mounted Side and Front- and Second-Row Roll-sensing Side Curtain Airbags
    • Power Tilt/slide Moonroof with Sunshade
    • Leather Seat Package
    • Seat Heater
    • JBL 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette w/6-disc In-dash CD Changer with Eight Speakers in6 Locations and FM Diversity Reception

Highlander Hybrid Limited models start at $37,890 for the 2WD and $39,290 for the 4WD-i model

OPTIONS

Base grade Highlander Hybrid is available with one package upgrade option that includes:

• JBL 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette w/6-disc In-dash CD Changer with Eight Speakers in 6 Locations and FM Diversity Reception
    • Power Tilt/slide Moonroof with Sunshade
    • Integrated Fog Lamps
    • Color-Keyed Rear Spoiler
    • Urethane Steering Wheel & Shifter with Audio Controls

The only available option for Highlander Hybrid Limited models is the Touch Screen DVD Navigation.

Regardless, if you build the 4WD V6 on Edmunds with essentially the same options as the base HLH (preferred package, JY airbags, towing prep, mudguards, DRL, and cold weather package), the MSRP is $29,810. The HLH price is $34,430.

That makes the hybrid markup a whopping $4620. That's a little steeper than the $3-4K which has been thrown around. Note that the TMV for the non-hybrid is about $2.5K lower than MSRP. If you assume that you pay sticker for the hybrid, that works out to be a premium of almost seven grand! I certainly wouldn't pay that much to get a V8, but for a V8 with 29 combined mpg and SULEV emissions? Maybe.

If you assume gas at $2.50 a gallon and 18K miles driven per year (which is a good bit of driving), the annual savings over the standard V6 (21 combined mpg) would be $591/year, which means the MSRP price difference would be made up in 7.8 years. (It would take 12 years to make it up considering TMV--pretty long.) Given that the present national average gas price is like $2.10/gal now, $2.50 over that time period feels pretty conservative. Plus, what's the tax break situation for this thing? That should figure in as well. Overall, though, looks like "saving money on gas" should not be driving this decision.

Two further questions this raises: [1] What's the price for the option package on the base model? [2] What happened to rear-seat DVD entertainment?

Regardless, it's good to have real numbers to kick around.
  • rockscalerrockscaler Member Posts: 2
    Thanks tempusvn! Finally some real information.

OK here's a quick calculation. Hybrid 29 combined MPG vs non-H 20 MPG. So we save 155 gallons per 10,000 miles. At $2.25 per Gallon that saves $350. Expecting to pay full MSRP the hybrid will cost at least $3000 more similarly equipped. That means at current gas prices we break even at about 86,000 miles.
    "your mileage may vary"
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    I just got an email from toyota about the 2006 highlander hybrid and it has a site that tells everything about 0 to 60 pricing the goods here is the url http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/hhybrid/index.html

Enjoy
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    As for the torque numbers for hybrids, they always sound really weird. To use the Prius for an example, it gets 295 ft lbs at 1200 RPM. That's the electric motor. I love the way Toyota hybrids take off. It's really quiet. Of course, some people hate it.... my wife thinks it's "Spooky and weird. Let's go test drive that other car"
    Heh, I went to that site earlier today and it wasn't updated yet. Answers the questions I had, thanks...
  • sinksink Member Posts: 4
    I went to Toyota dealer in norther CA in the past weekend. I was told that they expect the shipment (real one, not the advertisement by Toyota.) begin from October. their allocation is 30/year. and current they have about 60 people in the list with deposit. They tell me, in a very nice tone though, that I won't see my hybrid highlander for a few years.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    You will see your Highlander in JUNE 2005 :

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/03/toyota_to_intro.html
    More details on the Highlander Hybrid innards than I have seen previously:

http://www.autospectator.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1043
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    The option package is $1,770.

Apparently, they aren't going to offer the factory installed DVD. They will still offer the Port/Dealer installed one.
    Thanks, toycash, I saw that on the Toyota Web site. That's what I get for posting two hours before Toyota updates their site.

My hope was that I (well, really, we--this would be my wife's car and the family hauler) could get a HLH with the equipment we wanted for around $35K. The base 4wd HLH with option package is $36,200. Not too far off...

Also, when I did the math on the hybrid markup, I didn't figure in the 17" alloy wheels in the price of the non-hybrid. That would add $520 to the non-hybrid price ($600 for appearance package - $80 previously added for mudguards), bringing the markup down to $4100. Steep but not completely outrageous.
    Reporter drove a pre-production Highlander Hybrid and got 25 MPG:

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/2005/03/29/cz_jf_0329flint.html
    Based on his description, he was driving the 4wd version and mostly highway. EPA highway for the 4wd HLH is 27. Not too far off...
  • rmanchirmanchi Member Posts: 13
    Guys,
    Hello...I am new to this forum but have been following the highlander hybrid scene for a bit now. I feel the price for a Hybrid Limited 2WD is not too steep at $34,100 (considering TMV at 10% less of MSRP at $37,890). I am wondering if bargaining with the dealer will even be possible with so many people ready with downpayment checks. What do you think the TMV is going to be? I would take the regular 2WD Hybrid and add a leather package (not advertised) and options package $1770 and do better than taking a limited 2WD. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
  • electrictroyelectrictroy Member Posts: 564
    "Highlander Hybrid will offer exhilarating acceleration performance while achieving a stunning 30 mpg for the 2WD models"

I assume that 30mpg = city test (because Toyota usually brags about their city results). So, what will the highway be? 25?

troy
    I would guess that initially TMV = MSRP for this one, at least for a while. I don't think you're going to see 10% off on a vehicle with waiting lists in many places.

And the Toyota brochure does not list leather as an option on the base model. Snag the PDF from http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/hhybrid/specs_pricing.html (click on "Specs/e-Brochure" on the right).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The 30 is overall - 33 city, 28 hwy. 31/27 with 29 overall on 4x4s.
  • arandarand Member Posts: 1
    I've read as many articles as I can find and looked at the highlander minisite and the spec sheet. I've looked at the articles that are referenced in this forum also. I have a very good understanding of the technical details of the 4WD-i. for example I know that adds a little extra horse power and torque, I'd notice faster acceleration. I also read that it is on demand , does it mean that I cannot manually turn it on, ever? The exact thing that I am trying to find out that I find no one explaining is the following: Does it interate with the safety systems that come standard in all highlanders, and if so does it enhance this safety performance. You will see what I mean as outlined in the following article.

Four-Wheel Drive With Intelligence and Advanced Vehicle Dynamics
    In addition to providing the fuel economy ratings of the average compact four-cylinder sedan, the Highlander hybrid offers the versatility, refinement, and comfort expected in a mid-size SUV. Highlander Hybrid comes standard with front-wheel-drive and offers 4WD-i – the world's first application of electric four-wheel-drive with intelligence in the non-luxury mid-size SUV segment. Toyota introduced its Star Safety System on all 2005 model year SUVs. The new standard safety system includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). The Highlander Hybrid enhances the Star Safety System with the addition of the all-new Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system. This new system goes well beyond conventional traction control systems, which react to challenging conditions. Instead, VDIM anticipates loss of vehicle control in virtually any direction and makes corrections while allowing higher dynamic capability.A vital component of VDIM is a new Electronically Controlled Braking system (ECB). The ECB system translates brake pedal stroke and pressure and generates the precise amount of combined electric regeneration and hydraulic pressure needed for virtually any driving condition.

Under guidance from VDIM, such precise brake control at individual wheels allows more optimized operation of the vehicle's dynamic handling systems that employ the brakes: ABS, Brake Assist, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and traction control (TRAC). VDIM also interfaces with the Hybrid System, allowing it to modify vehicle power when needed, and a new Electronic Power Steering system (EPS) to optimize steering assist for each situation.

The EPS uses a DC motor and gear reduction system built into the steering gear housing to provide steering assist. This compact unit contributes to fuel economy by eliminating the traditional power steering pump and by providing its computer-controlled assist only when called for by the driver. EPS also allows a more precise and timely control of steering assist than conventional engine-driven hydraulic systems.

VDIM constantly calculates vehicle motion based on signals from a yaw rate and deceleration sensor, wheel speed sensor and steering angle sensor. Using these inputs, VDIM controls all of the vehicle's dynamic handling systems and can employ them collectively and seamlessly, allowing it to quickly detect the onset of a loss of vehicle control and help correct it. The ability to operate ‘proactively' means that corrections to vehicle attitude are typically faster, more accurate and subtle, than traditional systems, making VDIM feel smooth and essentially transparent to the driver.

VDIM dramatically enhances the Highlander Hybrid dynamic qualities and maximizes its performance capability, driving pleasure and safety.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A magazine reporter is hoping to speak with a recent Toyota SUV, pickup or minivan buyer who traded out of a domestic SUV, pickup or minivan. An ideal buyer would be someone who had a GM SUV but now wants to gets a Highlander hybrid to save on gas , or someone who had a Chrysler or Dodge minivan and traded in for a Sienna. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number and a few words about your choice no later than Tuesday, April 12, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mikez4mikez4 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know what invoice pricing will be on these? I have the recent Toyota info on MSRP and standard features. Also seems that for some reason the hybrid does not have the Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I haven't seen invoice figures yet, but I am curious as to how someone would use those numbers on this vehicle that will sell for MSRP or more for quite awhile after introduction--especially if Goldman Sachs' prediction of $105-a-barrel crude comes to pass.
    Still wondering how the Kluger can get 41 mpg (US gallons) in Japan, yet the HH gets at best 33 mpg city driving? 41 vs 33 is a huge difference. I don't think that a mere difference in the test cycle can explain this. If that were the reason, then you should be able to get 41 mpg with the HH in certain city driving in the US. Maybe the Japanese MPG test is all downhill? Joking aside, I am desperate for an explanation.
    :confuse:
    I noticed in Toyota's e-brochure that the multi-information screen that displays the Hybrid Synergy Drive in action is only available with the DVD navigation system in the Limited model, and then as a $2000 option.

I would really like this screen (ok - I admit I'm a techie), but I could do without all the other luxurious extras that come with the Limited, especially for the extra $5000.

Is there a technical reason that the screen is only available in the Limited?

Does anyone know if an after-market equivalent information screen can or will be made available? Would an after-market screen have to be mounted elsewhere, or will the area that the screen occupies be completely vacant in the base model?
  • fmvafmva Member Posts: 5
    The hybrid also has a multi-information display in front of the steering wheel. If you see the article at the link below, it appears that you only need the screen if you want a picture version of the information as all of the information from the multi-information screen is provided on the multi-information display. So if you don't want the touch screen DVD, you may not need the limited version.

"Toyota has added an information display within the speedometer, so that the driver can monitor the energy flow among the engine and front and rear motors even when the main information screen is used for the navigation system."
    see link title
  • nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    My local Toyota dealership called me today and asked that I come in to specify color and options. He input the information into some Toyota web-based ordering system. My wife and I specified a silver with ash interior Limited with 4-wheel drive and Navigation. Total price is $41,290. Not cheap for sure, but not crazy expensive. No great expectation regarding gas mileage. My guess is that combined real mileage will be around 25 mpg at best. The main reason for purchasing a HH is just the fact that it is a Hybrid and I am willing to pay a premiun just to drive one. The dealer is expecting a demo within the next few weeks. The first customer ordered cars will begin arriving in June. I have been on the waiting list for 18 months. :)
    When do you people think a 2006 Highlander will hit the dealerships? Do you think there is gonna be one (with all the hybrid hue and cry?). If so, what are the expected changes, does anyone know?
  • zoomer1zoomer1 Member Posts: 42
    My dealer just called me and told me the following:

First deliveries are only FWD Hybrids (June-August).
    AWD Hybrids will follow in late summer to early fall.

I am interested in finding out if this is region dependent. My dealer is in the Midwest. Where is your dealer located NSXWES?

Did they give a solid delivery date?

Thanks
  • markrsmith83markrsmith83 Member Posts: 30
    I'd love to be able to order one.

In my area, dealers aren't accepting orders:

Lawrence Toyota - "We already have 20 deposits and we've stopped taking them. We think that will cover most of our allotment for the year."

Team Toyota - "We're putting together a list and we'll call you when we're ready to accept orders. We expect to get a lot of these as we've sold lots of Prius's." (Looks like my best bet.)

Liberty Toyota - "When they come in, we'll sell to the highest bidder - above MSRP."

Anybody in the Trenton, NJ area heard anything different?
  • fizbanfizban Member Posts: 42
    I've got mine on order.
    The Lexus version is supposed to roll out sometime in the next week (4/10). Add 90 days to that to come pretty close to the Highlander version.
    It's interesting that the Lexus version is offering an entertainment package (DVD player). I don't see that offered on the Highlander.
    I also heard "no dealer add-ons". Toyota doesn't want anyone tapping into the wrong power lines. Can't say as I blame them.
    Too, I guess this thread title should be changed to the "2006 Hybrid Toyota Highlander", since that'll be their designation.
  • nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    Zoomer, the dealer says that he cannot provide any solid delivery date. Although I believe that as the time gets closer, the HH will be able to be tracked through the production cycle. The only information that he received from Toyota was regarding the demo unit that they will be getting in the next few weeks and that customer deliveries for pre-specified HH's will begin in June. Although I am #1 on the dealer list and the first one to specify my HH at that dealership, he said it doesn't necessarily mean that my particular specified HH will be the first to arrive. I am assuming that it will arrive sometime between June and September, which is just fine. Our 2000 Yukon 4X4 has been trouble-free for 80K miles and has many more to go. Unfortunately the resale value is quite low since the new ones are very highly discounted. I paid $500 over invoice in early 2000 and I believe that I can purchase a "like" 2005 model for less money.

I forgot to mention that I have ordered the HH with 4WD. I am located in Northern California. My dealer says that he expects to get 16 units. All were spoken for many months.
  • zoomer1zoomer1 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks! My dealer would not order any 4x4...interesting. I will be number 1 when any 4x4 shows up. I tried to order a fully loaded limited 4x4 but was told to wait until late summer or early fall. I can have a FWD in June if I want but am not interested in that. The midwest area my dealer is in is getting a total of 45+ units...3 states I think.
    A 2005 or 2006 Non-Hybrid Limited V6 with 4WD/Third Row/Leather/6 CD changer and all the other Jazz will cost me $31,500 (out of the door). On the other hand, I need to spend $39,290 (or more) for a Hybrid. That's a premium of around $8,000.
    At 15,000 miles per year and $2.50 for a gallon of gas and a difference of 8 miles per gallon between hybrid and non-hybid, I would still need 16 years to break even, from the gas perspective.
    I know some people have rightly pointed out its not all about the gas economy on this hybrid? If its about the upgraded power to 270HP....tell me really for a SUV that is clearly marked for sub-urban and city use...do you really need that 40 extra horses? If its about driving a hybrid vehicle, do you think its a good idea to wait and watch if they have any recalls during the first year or hear owners grumbling about any hidden costs of ownership? Is there really a tax break on hybrid vehicles for year 2006?
    I believe the existing highlander is decent enough and the other thought i had earlier is that i am gonna buy one of these highlanders and go on an earth saving mission but the reality is that there appear to be many people out there with deep pockets willing to pay a premium on this vehicle.
    Fact of the matter is if Toyota makes 20,000 of these...they will all be bought and the earth will still be saved as much as it can be ... :) guess my next vehicle will have to be a 2009 Sienna Hybrid V8 or something after this Highlander.
    Some of the other cribs i have about the Hybrid is that they announced only 5 colors as opposed to 8 and even the higher end models do not have an LCD monitor showing the Hybrid engine diagnostics (Except if you get the Nav package). All I am saying is I would like to have one, but probably it is not for everyone at this point so people need to weigh in the options before runniing to the dealership and trying to book one (I know what you are thinking....."Sour Grapes".....right?? maybe...)
    Enough said, looks like the right one for me is a 2005 or 2006 Limited V6 Non-Hybrid 4WD. Does anyone know if 2006 is changing in any manner (interiors/standard features)??

Thank you.
    :confuse: