Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• fizbanfizban Member Posts: 42
    I pointed out to my dealer that the Lexus version comes with an entertainment center option, so it's obviously possible. So, have included it on my HH order. Will see if it's actually included.
    Considering the orders went in on Apr 7 and the vehicles won't be rolling in until Jun at the earliest, I'd think they'd be able to build them to order. I'm not a car manufacturer, but that seems like adequate lead time to me.
    I too am no. 1 on the waiting list (signed up last Oct.), but I'm beginning to believe anyone who asks is no. 1.
    I was also told NO after-factory modifications or add-ons (electrically speaking) or it will void the warrantee. I guess they don't want people messing around in the electronics of this baby.
  • fmvafmva Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else been told about add-ons voiding the warranty? I was intending to have a cell phone hands-free system installed (unless all the specs so far have left off that the NAV system is bluetooth enabled like the Prius - but nothing that I've seen so far on the HH says that it is).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Teflon used on cookware is different than the Teflon used in automotive paint protection and other surface protection applications (fabric protection, wallpaper etc.). The surface protection stuff uses Teflon fluorosurfactants, not the original Teflon fluoropolymer used in pots and pans etc. See for example:

http://www.simonizusa.com/demoend.asp
  • ssachnoffssachnoff Member Posts: 33
    Well, maybe it isn't a waste of about $100. But the simoniz website doesn't say what they charge for the product./serviice. Is $100 way off base?
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    As with any other vehicle, add-ons do not automatically have any effect on the warranty. The add-on would have to be responsible for a problem, to make Toyota not cover it under warranty.

For some reason, the factory installed DVD entertainment system isn't available. But, the port- or dealer-installed system will be available.
  • fmvafmva Member Posts: 5
    I called Toyota's 1-800 number and the employee who answered said very clearly and without hesitation that any changes made after the sale that had anything even remotely to do with the wiring in the HH would immediately void the warranty (she said this was unlike the warranties on other models)! My understanding from her was that if you make any electrical changes Toyota has the option to not perform ANY warranty repairs after that - caused by what you did or not. :cry:
    I'm thinking that what she was referring to was a modification related to the hybrid wiring, not the regular 12 volt system. Unless a modification can be shown to have caused the problem, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents them from denying coverage.
  • tpatintpatin Member Posts: 11
    FYI: I was in Tucson, AZ on April 15 and spotted a Bluestone Highlander Hybrid there. It was a fully-loaded Limited version with regular California plates. No indication of dealership. Any ideas how this guy got his so fast?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would imagine it is one of the units used for media demo. I saw an RX400h in Hawaii back in September. They had 6 of them over there for demo purposes. All had CA license plates.
  • carcrazednutcarcrazednut Member Posts: 3
    That's a media car - they have to plate them. They are given to the magazines to test and then they put a press embargo on the info till THEY (Toyota) says it's OK to talk about their testing. I saw the very same car in CA going down the 405.

As far as ordering the Highlander hybrids, they are being built specific to folks' needs. If you wish to have a Limited with no NAV, you need to find a different dealership to order from who knows how to do this. The dealership you spoke to about the NAV being on 100% of the cars is either incorrect or a liar. It could be either. Beiong misinformed never makes one a liar... but passing on bad info is one way to get "thought of" as a liar. :> Anyway, HLH cars are order-able in Limited both with and without NAV. That's a fact.

CrazedCarNut
    :shades:
  • pinzabupinzabu Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know how soon the HH demo models at the dealerships will be available to test drive?

Also, does anyone know what the allotment schedule looks like? TIA. L
  • tomslycktomslyck Member Posts: 70
    I heard the same thing from salesmen in Manhattan Beach and Bakersfield, CA - 100% of HH Limiteds are coming with navigation.
  • nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    That is strange. When I was called by my Toyota dealer to specify my Highlander Hybrid they gave me the choice of exterior color, interior color, 2WD or 4WD, and Nav or no Nav.
    I did order a Limited 4WD with Nav.
    Who in their right mind would even want to tie into the 600v. system? Yikes!
    Just curious: How does the Magnuson-Moss Act prevent a manufacturer from telling the purchaser they can't tamper with the existing system without affecting their warranty? As an extreme case, for instance, let's say someone rigs up an outlet to power their sump pump during a power outage.
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    Toyota makes a 1.5kW DC-AC inverter for their Estima Hybrid. This takes its power from the main battery and would turn the Highlander Hybrid into an excellent emergency generator . . . except Toyota tells me that they will not offer it on the Highlander. Maybe if enough people ask for it they will change their mind. It would be one reason to tap into the high-voltage system.

http://www.toyota-industries.com/product/electro/technology_center.html

I live in an area that was hit by two hurricanes last year and love the idea of having a car that could power my refrigerator and a few lights if we have another exciting year.
  • annemannem Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing the new Hybrid Highlander and wonder whether I should buy extended 7yr/100,000 mile warranty because of the new technology, etc.
  • pcritpcrit Member Posts: 27
    Probably not, since the hybrid technology components will have an 8yr/100K warranty, on top of the 6yr/60K powertrain warranty (engine/tranny), and 3yr/36K B-B. But it's up to you and if you get a good quote, it might be worth (I paid $550 for an extended B-B warranty on my '05 Limited AWD, 6yr/72K). I normally would not have gotten the warranty, but for $550, why not?
  • dmbfloridadmbflorida Member Posts: 38
    I will buy an extended warranty on the Hybrid Highlander IF I can get the same thing as is offered for my Prius:
    I can wait until the end of the third year of service after purchased new (the end of the new car warranty).
    I can buy, at a high discount, the extended warranty from another Toyota dealer which offers this... there are at least two dealerships which do this and are listed in the Prius 2004 Forums. If anyone is not aware of these, I will look them up and post them here.

btw, my last message was deleted by the Moderator because I mentioned a web site for Toyota which the Moderator considered a violation of my agreement to not post anything for sales. So, I have been hesitant to mention the following but will do so since it should not be a violation of the "agreement" with this Edmunds Forum:
    New info has been posted recently at Edmunds.com regarding the 2006 Hybrid Highlander. This appears in several related sections including one which says that the next HH re-design will be in two years and probably use some features of a new concept car of Toyota. This seems to be a design which incorporates a SUV and sedan specs and I think it might have a more powerful engine.
    Personally, I would not want the next generation if it is smaller and with a more powerful engine (should have worse fuel consumption with a more powerful engine)
    It doesn't, it just means that the warranty would only be affected on the tampered part and any directly related components.

I agree that making the hybrids capable of power generation would be great (like the GM pickups), but I suppose that Toyota must have a reason.
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    The recommended octane for the HH is conspicuously missing in the specs I have seen. There are reports that Lexus recommends using 91octane or higher for the RX400h, saying it will run on 87, but with a slight loss of power. Since I have read that the powerplants for the Toyota and Lexus are identical I assume the same will go for the HH.

What bothers me is not a slight loss of power, but whether that loss of power results from knock detectors kicking in and retarding the ignition with regular gas. If it is on the verge of knocking, might there be long-term damage done? Since I assume many HH buyers are interested in lowering their fuel bill this seems like an important issue. Why save 20% on mpg and lose half of it back buying more expensive gas? Maybe I should be asking Lexus hybrid owners if they know. But I am first on my dealer's list for a HH.
    Electronics being what they are I would think they could compensate for lower octane fuel along with altitude & pressure. I read here on Edmund's that the Toyota Sienna HP was rated with Premium Unleaded yet is sold as a regular unleaded vehicle. I would imagine they share engines. One person has reported getting better mileage with Premium. It may end up a wash. I doubt it would hurt the engine to use regular if that is what they advertise.
  • jpnyjpny Member Posts: 1
    I live in Manhattan and use my car irregularly -- it often sits garaged for two or three weeks at a time and then I use it for a weekend trip and then it sits for a week, etc.. Will a hybrid work with this kind of usage? Will the batteries run down? Is there a downside to a hybrid in this circumstance? Any thoughts?
    Will a hybrid work with this kind of usage?

I don't think a week would be a problem. They say on the Prius you have to disconnect the battery or it will discharge. I don't think Toyota has got a handle on this situation. That was one of the things that deterred me from the Prius was not being able to just leave the car for 3 to 6 weeks in a parking garage, then just come jump in and take off.
    Hi jpny,
    In Msg 1064 of the Lexus RX400h forum, tsotsi made the comment that Lexus has issued warnings about the effect of leaving hybrids in storage -- that is without the battery getting a charge -- for more than a few weeks.
    That leaves one to wonder what happens if one does, and what the remedy is. Perhaps get out your 600v battery charger :surprise:
  • dmbfloridadmbflorida Member Posts: 38
    The Smart Entry system can be turned off at the Dash and this helps keep the 12 v battery from running down. Of course, any car accessory which needs electricity should be turned off. Most people would not need to disconnect the 12 v battery ...unless the car is sitting for a very long time, maybe over approx 3 weeks.

I had a dead 12 v battery in the Prius 2004 because I did not drive it for 3 weeks and did not turn off the Smart Entry. It was very easy to jump start using the very accessible terminal under the hood. I used another car and jump cables. The manual explains this very well. The Prius 12 v battery can be jumped with even less of a charge... reports are of multiple large lantern batteries jump starting the Prius.
    A cheap trickle charge battery will easily keep the 12 v battery's charge. If you buy the type which shuts off when a full charge is accomplished, that works the best. If someone is available to push the power button and just get the car in the "Ready" status for several minutes periodically, that keeps the charge also.
    The car does not need to be started completely.
    I assume that the same procedure can be used with the Hybrid Highlander.
    This "problem" is not a significant one and should not deter anyone from buying the Toyota hybrid.
  • stevewastevewa Member Posts: 203
    There was a problem with the 12v battery used in the early Prius in that it wasn't very large and the alarm system could drain it in a couple weeks. The best approach where possible is to run the car for a minimum of 30 minutes at least once a week to ensure the 12v battery gets a full charge. However a "battery tender" type charger would suffice.

If you left the car long enough it's possible the HV battery would discharge to the point where it could not start the engine, but I think you're talking well over a month for that to be a problem. Also, the HV battery can charge much more quickly than the 12v battery, so a few minutes running would top it off.
    The dealer bulletin tells dealers to disconnect the 12v battery if it will be stored for 30 days or more.
    Ugh! I suppose it's not often that one's gone for 30 days at a crack, but of course every time you remove your battery, there goes your pre-programmed radio station settings and all your long term statistics (mileage, maintenance cycle info, etc.).
  • tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    Well, aleternatively you can connect a Float Charger (Not a Trickle Charger) to keep the battery topped off.
  • manukumarmanukumar Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know what is the approximate wait time for someone who just got on the waiting list last weekend? I am #83 on my local dealer's wait list. I was wondering if Toyota was going to establish a single national list of fist come first served and if so, where would I be on that list?
    I'll have to plug our host here. I went to the Edmunds new car website and asked to get four quotes for the HH figuring that no one would really have anything special. One of the dealers is getting 7 HHs each month and put me on the list at #25. That's better than the December delivery I was told at another dealer. Apparently the dealers are getting different number of new HHs each month depending on how big the dealership is. And they promised to sell it at MSRP with no add-ons, wheel changes, pixie dust or anything else added.
    As #1 on the list (signed up in Oct.) my dealer's best guess is July.
  • jabnvajabnva Member Posts: 5
    I just put myself on the wait list in N.VA and I was told it would only be 4 mos. or so until delivery. One question that the dealer could not answer - Has anyone heard whether the HH will come with the keyless smart start system found on the prius?
  • ultra64ultra64 Member Posts: 19
    I called a local dealer and they said they had to only 2 people on their list. I can get one in June.
  • gparkergparker Member Posts: 4
    I do not know if you are in a large market or not. Even if you are, #83 on the list it is likely you are at least one year out. Toyota has allocated these units on several different criteria to their dealers. How many Prius models, how many Highlanders, etc. that they have sold in the past. All get one "demo" now. Then all get one 2wd unit, which does not thrill dealers in areas where Winter is a factor...did you order with NAV or not? Our dealer said again two days ago, 70% would be shipped with NAV. I am still # 1 on a list in a Nebraska market, and have been told our order is factory computer confirmed for June. The other vehicle we have ordered, a Prius, is still at least three months out.
    When you consider, the Prius has been on the market over five years, and it still has a long waiting list....well, as # 83 on a list for a new HH, you will probably be lucky to see it a year from now.
    That would trouble me. Currently, the gov't $2500 tax credit will expire at the end of 2005, and drop to $500 after that, unless GWB's energy bill passes. Also, not widely publicized, as it's a one shot deal, that for the 2005 tax year, one can deduct their total State Sales Tax paid in 2005 off of their federal income tax. That is why we ordered the HH and the Prius for delivery in 2005. That is a serious consideration for many people. Wish you the best of luck.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    From what I have seen from all of the information that Toyota has given to us so far, the Smart entry/start system on the Prius and Avalon will not be available on the Highlander. One of the points they have pressed over and over is that the ignition system is simalar to all other cars, with a traditional key-type in the steering column. If there are any further updates with this, I'll be happy to keep you informed.

Ken
    Definitely will not be available.
  • otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    I was surfing around the toyota HH "mini-site" this weekend and they had a section where you could compare vehicles. I was comparing the RX400h with the HH and came the towing section and it showed that a trailer hitch was UNAVAILABLE for the HH, yet available as an option for the RX. (the trailer wiring was shown as STANDARD equip for the RX).

1. does anyone know if this information is correct? on the corner the site said "Powered by Edmunds" but I would think Toyota would have double checked if there was an inaccuracy.

2. Is there something preventing the HH from mounting a hitch? I thought I remembered reading or hearing that the HH had a 3500 tow capacity- why would that be published if it wasn't designed to tow.

3. and just WOT, don't you think, if this info is true, that it seems odd that the RX would get the tow pkg but not the HH. In my narrow mind, I would envision more HHs towing something than Rx's
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Thank you for the replies - much appreciate!
    First of all, all of the information that we have recieved from Toyota has said that the HH will have a towing capacity of 3,500lbs. My guess would be that the RX may have the hitch built into the bumper sort of like the 4-runner and the HH does not. The Hitch for the Highlanders in general is a "PPO" or "Post Production Option" which means that it is not installed at the Factory itself, but at the distribution location before it gets sent to the dealer. Many sites do not list non-"Factory" options because they can sometimes differ depending on where you are. If this is the case, they would not list the tow hitch as an available option.

Just my thoughts and I hope this helps.

Ken
    Yep, my take is that you can order the towing option, but that doesn't include the hitch.
  • cknoxcknox Member Posts: 8
    I am allegedly the first on the list for an HH at a medium size dealer in Wisconsin. They have told me that they have 4 vehicles coming in to the dealership not long after release, and will order one to my spec's if one of these is not what I wanted (4x4 Limited, no NAV). They didn't want to order me one until they figured out exactly what they were getting in. The other curious thing that I got from them was that they (and other dealers say the same thing) really have no idea what the final cost will be, and so are only signing a contract for MSRP, without any actual number attached to this. This brings me to a couple questions:

1. Can I expect the final MSRP to change significantly from what has been posted on Edmunds and the Toyota HH mini-site? Does anyone remember what happened when the prius came out?

2. Since I am waiting until the dealer knows what is actually being shipped to them, does anyone have an idea of when dealers are being notified of the final configuration of their first shipments? I'd prefer to not keep harrasing my dealer every so often trying to find out, but I will if need be.
  • nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    I just spoke to my dealer today. He expects the HH demo within a week or two. Apparently it is in Los Angeles waiting to be shipped to Northern California. Does anyone know of any dealers that have received their demo HH yet? If not, it appears that they will soon. It now appears quite certain that the first ordered HH for customers will be available soon after June 1st. :)
    If you go to the HH minisite and download the Specs/eBrochure, page eight lists a Towing Hitch Receiver as an accessory.
    I do not know about other regions of the country, but here in the NE region (buffalo) we have recieved information on the first allocation of HH's coming from Toyota. This includes the models and the options as well as the MSRP of those vehicles. Check to see if they have this update yet so that you can get more accurate MSRP information.

Hope this helps.

Ken
    Uh, no, the price you see is the MSRP and won't change in the near future. If they have no idea what the price is, maybe you should try a different dealer. Are you sure they don't mean that they haven't decided what to charge?

By the way, the Tow Prep Package is standard on the Hybrid, but the hitch itself is a port- or dealer-installed Accessory.
  • otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    how big are the waiting lists at your dealers? I'm number 3 at mine- I was #5 until 2 people dropped out after they asked for a deposit. At first I thought this was great, but then I called my dealer and asked how many ppl were on the waiting list and he told me only 9 (who put down deposits). This is a small dealer in the midwest so I don't know how representative this is of the overall demand for this car. I called 2 dealers in St Louis- one took a deposit and he said there were 8 ppl on his list. The other didn't take deposits and he said there were 50. So I'm thinking the dealers that have list that require deposits are more representative of the CURRENT demand. I also called a lexus dealer, and he told me I could get a rx400 in 3-4 months, not the 12-18 months I've been reading about. So after the initial frenzy, the wait's not that bad.

Here's what I'm wrestling with... I don't mind paying MSRP for the car. But at the same time, I don't want to be one of the "last" people who paid MSRP when I could have waited 2-3 months for the waiting lists to dry up. If getting a "discount" means waiting 3 years for the demand to subside, then I will gladly pay MSRP today. if it means waiting 3 more months for inventories to build, I would be happy to wait to save some money.

I don't have a crystal ball. if the HH makes "car of the year" or there's some resurgance of popularity, then demand will continue to be strong and supplies will continue to be short. As with the RX400, I think there's some "investers" who are buying the car to turn around and sell for a profit, artificially boosting demand. I just think I fell for the hype and it's wearing off, and now I'm afraid I'll be holding the bag as the HH buble bursts. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to buy a HH, I'm just wondering when I should.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Otis1, I think you need to qualm your worries. :D

How long has the current Prius been out? 18 months? They are still paying MSRP for it. Why? In part because it is the only "midsize, high mileage" hybrid.

The HH is also going to be the only "reasonably priced midsize 7-passenger hybrid minivan" for QUITE some time after it's release. I have a sneaking suspicion that the "MSRP or higher" trend for the HH will continue for SOME TIME, so any hopes of getting below MSRP in a few months time seem to be going against all trends..... :)
  • acabaacaba Member Posts: 1
    I went to a deaalership this weekend (San Fran bay area) and was told they already had 120 people signed up and paid $1,000 deposit for the HH. If I sign up npw, expected wait time is 14-16 months! It appears there are rumors that people who get the first ones will auction on ebay!! Unbelievable....
    I was told of a special deal, where you lease the regular Highlander and at the end of the lease get yourself the hybrid when you buyout. Interestingggggg.
  • leemtleemt Member Posts: 3
    I am waiting for a RX 400h that my dealer has not yet been allocated.Yesterday my Toyota dealer called and informed me I could have his first Highlander.

I have downloaded seecifications of both autos and can find no mechanical differences. Can anyone else help with this. I did find spension differences.The hype for the 400h has been overwhelming. I am begining to resent Lexus loading up their cars assuming customers want the pretentious add-ons.

Can anyone tell me of any mechanical differences between the two.

Thanks