Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Discovery

2»

Comments

• jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    There's no link that I know of. That comes from the Land Rover Pub (against rules to post direct link to another forum on here). The pricing comes from someone who is putting in an advance order.

I went to have a look locally, and got a similar story, and saw the pre-order sheet (have a copy of it). Price seems to be going up about 8-10% in Canada. List of standard features is quite similar to that list from the UK. Bluetooth is a preliminary option in Canada on the HSE, unlike other regions where it seems to be standard.
  • man_007man_007 Member Posts: 9
    tnx for reply. If I understand you correctly HSE will cost around 42+10%=45.2K? that will be a lot better than 55K. do they have any pre-prod available for a test drive by you?
    I tested MDX last weekend. It felt really nice. cannot wait to compair MDX and LR3.
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    Depends on the Country. If the pattern follows from the UK and Canada, I would think it would be something like that. If the pattern follows the EU/Germany, expect closer to 55K.

Best thing to do is to drop by the dealer and ask them. Locally, they were very excited to talk about the vehicle, and were happy to estimate price and take pre-orders.
  • carman001carman001 Member Posts: 1
    I spoke to my local dealer (US), who is a good friend, yesterday. He is already taking pre-sold orders, and is putting together his initial order now. He said to expect @ $45K well equipped and close to $50K with everything.
  • mikek1mikek1 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone provide the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) in lbs? (US Congress has signed to end the big up to $100K tax write-off for 6000+ vehicles, but it hasn't taken effect yet). Also, are there any web site references that have looked at any reliabilty improvements in their new RangeRover vs. older one's? But, could we expect the same for the LR3 over the old Discovery? Lets hope so.
  • suvowner1suvowner1 Member Posts: 33
    I like what I am reading about this vehicle...........but everytime I hear Landrover I think about numerous complaints of reliability problems..........Jeep did the complete new vehicle thing in 99 and had numerous small problems that took until the 2004 model year to get worked out.......this LR3 seems to be a similar pattern...........can anyone on here give me some info to give some confidence that a LR3 owner wouldn't have many trips to the LR service department, and everyone know each other on a first name basis ????
  • reichowjrreichowjr Member Posts: 86
    I found this link showing a variety of pics of a LR3 prototype at a Land Rover dealer in NC.

http://trucks.about.com/library/photo/bl_landrover_lr3_1.htm
    Does anyone know when the LR3 will available for purchase using the A plan?
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    The "official" U.S. specifications were posted by Land Rover USA: http://apps.us.landrover.com/future/downloads/specs/lr3_specs.pdf from the http://www.landroverusa.com/lr3 pre-launch site.

This is the current "pre-order" information that dealers are using:

LR3 SE Standard Equipment: *

+ 300hp 4.4L V8
    + Six-speed automatic transmission
    + Permanent 4WD / locking center differential
    + Four-corner independent air suspension
    + Terrain Response
    + Front, side-curtain & thorax airbags (6 total, 8 when 3rd-row seats are fitted)
    + Sunroof and 2nd-row/3rd-row Alpine roof
    + 18-inch alloy wheels
    + Leather seating surfaces
    + Harman/Kardon audio system (9 speakers, 6-CD in-dash changer, 300W)
    + Trip computer

SE Options: *

+ 3rd-row seats (includes head-curtain airbags and 35:30:35 split 2nd row)
    + Convenience package** (35:30:35 split 2nd row, luggage net)
    + Cold Climate Package [standard in Canada] (heated front/rear seats, windshield, washer jets)
    + DVD rear-seat entertainment (retailer-installed accessory)
    + Rear climate control (heating and A/C)
    + Tow package
    + Rear locking differential, full-size alloy spare
    + Bi-Xenon headlights, fog lights
    + On-road/off-road touch-screen navigation system with DVD-ROM
    + Driver Intelligence Package (rear Park Distance Control, puddle & footwell lamps)
    + Cooler box (center console) ***
    + Bluetooth telephone integration system ***

LR3 HSE Standard Equipment includes SE standard list plus: *

+ 19-inch alloy wheels
    + Harman/Kardon LOGIC 7 premium audio system (13 speakers, 6-CD in-dash changer, 600W)
    + On-road/off-road touch-screen navigation system with DVD-ROM
    + Bi-Xenon headlights, fog lights
    + Driver Intelligence Package (rear Park Distance Control, puddle & footwell lamps)

HSE Options: *

+ 3rd-row seats (includes head-curtain airbags and 35:30:35 split 2nd row)
    + Convenience package** (35:30:35 split 2nd row, luggage net)
    + Cold Climate Package [standard in Canada] (heated front/rear seats, windshield, washer jets)
    + DVD rear-seat entertainment (retailer-installed accessory)
    + Rear climate control (heating and A/C)
    + Tow package
    + Rear locking differential, full-size alloy spare
    + Cooler box (center console) ***
    + Bluetooth telephone integration system ***
    + Adaptive front headlights ***

* Specifications subject to change
    ** Included with 3rd-row seats
    *** Delayed availability

Available exterior colors: Chawton White, Zambezi Silver, Maya Gold, Bonatti Grey, Alveston Red, Adriatic Blue, Tonga Green (new), and Java Black [extra cost].

Available interior colors: Alpaca Beige and Ebony Black.
    Land Rover North America today announced U.S. pricing for its all-new SUV, the LR3. The manufacturer's suggested retail price for the SE model will be $44,995, while the HSE model will retail for $49,995. All models will feature Land Rover's innovative Terrain Response™ technology, a powerful 300 hp V8 engine and the Range Rover-inspired, four-corner, cross-linked air suspension, solidifying LR3's outstanding on and-off-road performance.

"The all-new LR3 is the most technologically advanced, boldest, Land Rover ever launched in the history of the company," said Richard Beattie, executive vice president, Land Rover North America. "This premium SUV, with its exceptional versatility and capability, is an excellent value considering the amount of feature, content and innovation Land Rover is bringing to the market."

Available in SE and HSE derivatives, LR3 offers the advantages of a powerful and responsive 300 hp 4.4-liter V8 engine, mated to a six-speed electronic automatic transmission. This transmission is intelligent—adapting its shift patterns to driving style and road conditions—and equipped with Command Shift™, allowing the driver full control over gear changes. Special consideration has been given to ensure the powertrain meets Land Rover's exacting standards for on-and off-road capability.

LR3 sets an impressive benchmark for future Land Rover products with its new platform architecture and numerous technological advancements. The new, Land Rover-developed, Integrated Body-frame™ architecture provides a stable foundation for refined on-road performance, while maintaining the off-road qualities essential to every Land Rover vehicle. Careful design and packaging has kept the overall height of the vehicle down, and has positioned the bulk of the vehicle’s mass as low as possible, further adding to the outstanding on-road dynamics.

LR3's all-new Terrain Response™ system is the latest development in four-wheel drive technology. By optimizing the vehicle's sophisticated systems, Terrain Response™ allows the driver to choose from a variety of terrain settings, thus providing flexible and automatic control of the vehicle in all conditions, both on-and off-road. Not only does this help ensure that operation on a range of surfaces is safe and pleasurable, but it minimizes any environmental impact of off-pavement driving.

The electronically-controlled air suspension system provides increased versatility and comfort. With automatic load-leveling and multiple modes (access, standard and off-road) the suspension allows for a softer spring setting in normal driving conditions, and versatility in others. The Range Rover-inspired cross-linking air springs allow for outstanding off-road performance by maximizing ground contact.

The interior package is among the most versatile and accommodating in its class. The cabin of the LR3 is designed to allow maximum comfort for all passengers- even in the third row. When equipped, the third row of seats is capable of accommodating two 95th percentile adults. In addition, the alpine roof—a driver's sunroof and fixed glass over rows two and three—adds to the feeling of spaciousness throughout the interior.

LR3 is available in eight standard colors: Chawton White, Bonatti Grey, Alveston Red, Java Black, Adriatic Blue, Zambezi Silver, Maya Gold and Tonga Green. All colors currently exist in the Land Rover color palate except for Tonga Green, which has been introduced for the 2005 LR3.

All LR3 models come highly equipped with a list of desirable features and innovative technologies. In addition to the base level of content, the HSE adds a touch-screen, voice-activated navigation system, 600-watt audio system, 19" alloy wheels, Bi-Xenon headlamps and memory seats. Full details of trim specifications will be released closer to launch. Sales for LR3 will commence this fall.

** prices noted include destination and delivery charges.
  • swedectswedect Member Posts: 4
    It would be quite helpful to know what the option pakcages/stand-alone option pricing is...

Anyone?

Thanks
    I spoke with my local dealer in Wilmington, NC who emailed this pricing to me on 7/29/04. They indicated they are currently taking orders with first shipment arriving end of Oct. first part of Nov.

3rd-row seats
    $1250

Convenience Pkg (included with 3rd-row seats)
    $175

Cold Climate Pkg
    $1050

DVD Entertainment Pkg
    $TBD (retailer-installed)

Rear Climate Control
    $950

Tow Pkg
    $500

Heavy-Duty Pkg (rear locking diff & full-size spare)
    $625

Bi-Xenon Lighting Pkg (standard on HSE)
    $1050

Touch-Screen Nav. System (standard on HSE)
    $2650

Driver Intell. Pkg (standard on HSE)
    $350

Cooler Box
    $TBD (delayed avail.)

Bluetooth System
    $TBD (delayed avail.)
  • swedectswedect Member Posts: 4
    Thanks alot for info - very helpful!
    does anyone know if it will have:
    1. rain sensitive windsheild wipers
    2. memory system that links the driver seat and both outside mirrors
    3. autodimming outside and rear view mirror
    4. will the adaptive headlights have auto high/low beam
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    To answer your questions:

1. Rain sensing wipers are part of the lighting package that includes Bi-xenon headlights, automatic headlights, auto dimming interior mirror, front foglamps, headlamp washers, and
    Homelink.

2. Memory system (both driver's seat and mirrors) will be available on the HSE only

3. Autodimming exterior mirrors are not available

4. No automatic high/low beam

This info is of course subject to change.
    thats great news...............

rain sensing wipers are a hugely helpful feature on my jeep overland model....but would like to upgrade to a little nicer and larger vehicle, but still with decent ability to go offroad when needed........the jeep does have number 3&4 above which are nice but not critical.........the worst thing about the jeep is no xenon headlights, and the memory systems skipped the pasenger outside mirror......but the new hemi v8 is super powerful and great highway gas mileage.....but I do like what I'm reading about the LR3..........curious to see what the gas mileage will be like....
  • dmanualdmanual Member Posts: 1
    I was most interested in the LR3 when I read an article stating that it would be offered in a diesel engine with manual transmission -- apparently, Landrover had received some cooperation with peugeot/citroen or something... does this ring a bell in anyone else's mind?

If so, I'll wait for it, otherwise, I may consider waiting on a used tdi treg (price is too steep on the new ones)

thanks.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    There is a good "preview" type review of the LR3 (still Discovery in other markets) in this week's Auto Week. The seem duly impressed.
    Cheers
    Pat
    Here is the link to the LR3 review in Auto Week. Thanks for the info Pat.
    http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100759

Rick
  • mnmatchesmnmatches Member Posts: 111
    Looks like the LR3 will be a wonderful vehicle. I'm a little disappointed that my schedule for buying a new suv probably won't fit the LR3's release (I'm needing to buy sooner than that). I'll have to call my local dealer and find out what kinds of prices they are offering. Has anyone here been given a price quote yet?
  • lightcahilllightcahill Member Posts: 22
    Forbes Magazine online recently posted a review of the LR3, written by Dan Lienert. It was balanced, discussing both pros and cons. I found it on the bottom of the forbes web site (www.forbes.com), with this URL:

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/2004/09/20/cx_dl_0920feat.html

I found it to be interesting reading.

Light Cahill.
  • gina6gina6 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know specific dates when the LR3 will be available for test drives?
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    My dealership told me it will be around 10/7.

I like what I read but am concerned about the reliability/quality and resell of the LR3. Can anybody comment on those?
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Wait a year!
    http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Vehicles/LR3

Full product details. No longer a future vehicle... well, in a month. ;-)
    Washington Post LR3 Review:
    "New SUV Is Right on Course"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A29379-2004Sep17?languag- - - - - - e=printer

Chicago Sun-Times LR3 Review:
    "LR3 the American Rover"
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/auto/car-news-car03.html

Car and Driver LR3 Review:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article- - - - - - - - _id=8522&page_number=1

Road & Track LR3 Review:
    "Roaming Scotland in the sensational Discovery replacement"
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=9&article_- - - - - - - - id=1586

Automobile Magazine Review:
    "The All-New Land Rover LR3 faces the Cadillac SRX"
    http://automobilemag.com/reviews/0411_lr3_srx/index.html
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I am very impressed by the LR3. But it seems too heavy at 5700 lbs. That's gotta hurt the performance, even with 300hp engine.
    Last weekend I drove a production LR3 SE... one of the two the dealer received. It seems LR3 is now officially NOT a future vehicle. FYI: Thumbs up; I have little to complain about. Land Rover did a very good job.
  • ypshanypshan Member Posts: 103
    If you do a power to weight ratio, you will find that LR3 is the weakest amongst Touareg V8, GX470 (with the new 270hp engine in 05), X5, QX56, SRX, and Aviator. I test drove one over the weekend and it felt that way too.

However, it seemed to have sufficient power to get around town so I am not too worry about it. I am more concerned about the quality.

Also it has a MOST (digital) bus that connects all the AV components and NAV system. I am thinking about adding a backup camera to it but it may be very hard to find after market kit for MOST bus.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, this topic will now be closed. We can join others in the long-term Land Rover Discovery/Discovery II discussion, or hop on board the Land Rover LR3 discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.