Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    From those with experience, does it really work???
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    RE The Mazda3 and the U.S. Focus have virtually nothing in common except for rear suspension design (but they don't even share parts there).

I believe the Focus engine is made by Mazda and is virtually the same as used in the Mazda 3.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Steve (themoon77) - If you buy a Mazda3 you won't be getting another Focus. On the other hand, your friend doesn't seem to know much at all about the Mazda3 so you might want to consult with another friend for car buying advice. :)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Virtually the same is a good way of saying it. From the Car Connection:

While every other change aboard the 2005 Focus is evolutionary, the implantation of two new engines is radical surgery. Gone are the Ford-designed Zetec 2.0-liter engines and in their place are Mazda-designed 2.0- and 2.3-liter powerplants wearing the Duratec label. Shared with the Mazda3, these new all-aluminum Duratecs don't differ much from the iron-block Zetecs in general specification; they're still fours wearing DOHC heads with four valves over each combustion chamber. But Ford claims they'll emit about 32-percent less noxious gases while delivering 24-percent more power and slightly better fuel economy.

The base 2.0-liter Duratec knocks out 136 horsepower in the Focus which is a 26-horsepower improvement over last year's base SPI eight-valve, and up six horsepower over the optional 130-horsepower Zetec. The 2.3-liter Duratec, which is currently restricted to the range-topping Focus ZX4 ST sport sedan (the 2005 Focus that comes closest to replacing last year's 170-horsepower SVT) is rated at 151 horsepower.

Interesting that the same "Duratecs" (actually they're called MZR in the Mazda) put out 148 and 160 hp, respectively, in the Mazda3. I guess Mazda kept the good stuff for themselves!

The two engines may be the "same" as far as displacement and construction goes, but Mazda (using VIS or whatever) has found a way to keep them different enough for me!

Here's a link to how Mazda usurps all that power out of the MZR. Still looking, but I can't find similar info on how Ford has the Duratec tuned out ...

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=mazdaSpeedDrivingEngineMZ- - R23

"Similar" engines or not, they are not the same car by any stretch. But don't just take my word for it. Here's a recent comparison test Motor Trend magazine did between the 2005 Mazda3s, Ford Focus ZX4 ST, Toyota Corolla XRS, Kia Spectra SX and Chevrolet Cobalt LS:

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0507_citylites/

It's a long article, so I'll summarize: Out of the five cars, the Mazda3 came in first. The Focus was fourth -- beaten by the Mazda3, Corolla and Kia in that order.

Meade
    Aren't the Ford's tuned for PZEV while the Mazda's claim SULEV (LEV to ULEV to SULEV to PZEV)?

This may explain the diff in HP. Just in California alone, I believe, the Mazda 2.3 is rated at 156 HP and is still a SULEV with a couple of gadgets added. The HP is reduced slightly for a cleaner tail pipe, but as technology marches ahead, so does HP.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    Are they all being recalled due to exhaust problems?
    "Are they all being recalled due to exhaust problems?"

Yes, but you might want to check the Mazda5 discussions for info on that.
  • jemrick1jemrick1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Mazda3 hatchback. I have large paint chunks that have come off of both the rear bumber along a pointed edge in an area not easily hit by a skipping rock or other road debris and another on the lower side panel towards the rear aswell. The car is black....is anyone having this happen or has anyone heard of this being a problem?
    I would venture to say you got bumped in a parking lot.

Meade
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    NO in my opinion a waste of money. Used in airplane tires, long haul truck tires and race cars. The nitrogen reacts well under stress and is perdicatable. In day to day driving we don't need such precision.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    With Rita heading straight for my house thought it was best to head for higher ground - off to Granny's house in Austin.

Left the Mazda3 in the garage - kind of sad to think that within a few hours my car may be treading water!

Anyone ever tried to float their Mazda3?
  • mikezoomzoommikezoomzoom Member Posts: 69
    Pray that ole' Hurricane Rita's BOOM BOOM doesn't spell DOOM DOOM for your ZOOM ZOOM!!! :surprise:

If by chance nature has her way with her... just keep comin' north to Fort Worth and I'll help you replace her with an 06'. I'll check into a pontoon option through Mazda accessories and have that pricing ready for ya when you get here. :shades:

EVERYONE...

Row, row, row your 3 gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Any ways, let us know how it all turns out. Be safe and careful in that speedy traffic. Here's hoping everything and everyone comes out safely. :D

MIKEZOOMZOOM
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Best of luck, Bill. Sounds like Houston and your 3 escaped the worst of Rita. Say hi to gran for all of us!

p.s. most days I would think being chased at a 120 mph by someone called Katrina, Ophelia or Rita could be kind of fun :P
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Hope all turned out well for you and your home. Living in South Florida, I feel your pain with these hurricanes. Rita spared us in Ft. Lauderdale with only wind and rain and the power flickering on and off about 15 times during the night.
    I've personally have had enough of these hurricanes...3 last year and 2 already this year. Eventhough we can't compare what we got from these 2 storms to the Gulf Coast, the same emotions are there when 1 is waiting for the storm to hit.
    Godspeed to our friends in the Gulf Coast. I spent 4 years in New Orleans at Tulane and really fell in love with the city.

The Sandman :)
    I’ve heard/read that the 3, sedan or hatch, has bolt holes under the plastic/rubber strip for adding a roof rack/rails. On a website, supposedly Thule makes a roof rack/rail that is made to fit perfectly over these bolt holes. This rack/rail is made flush so that the bars do not protrude outside of the rack tower that connects to the bolt holes. I was looking at the accessory brochure for the Mazda 5 that shows the same exact roof rack/rail. I don’t know any specs on either and I don’t know the mfg. of the Mazda 5 roof rack/rail.

I posted this on both the Mazda 3 & 5 forums. Can anyone verify (or not) that the Mazda 5 roof rack/rail will fit on the Mazda 3 (especially the hatch)? If it does, I can imagine the reason why Mazda OE would want to keep this a secret.
    Does anyone know if posting the same message on 5 different forums (or sub forums) is referred to as "Gone Postal?"
    Working as I do for the USPS...I don't think so!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    no, but it could make a Host go postal :cry:

Take your best shot with one forum and if nothing turns out in a week, then try another.
    The phrase "going postal" is getting quite old...methinks it's 15 minutes are up!

• ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Toyota and Honda do have a track records of building good cars - even on first year models - but the best thing is - if they do have a defect in one of their cars they will actually fix it. But then EVERY CAR COMPANY I have ever done business with is way better than Mazda when it comes to ADMITTING THEY HAVE A PROBLEM AND THEN FIXING IT

I guess you never owned a Volkswagen? ;) :lemon:
    If the A/C is an excellent system than why is a diffuser plate installed in the 04 and 05 and the jury is out on the 06
    If Mazda is concerned about a on going problem they should tell the dealers to treat the A/C seriously if any owners feel they have a problem

Speaking of diffuser plates, my dealer didnt know what the heck I was talking about neither did the mechanic.

Is there any conclusive info stating that some 2005's do NOT have diffuser plates or properly installed diffuser plates? :confuse:
    There may be a small number of individuals experiencing AC problems, but make no mistake the Mazda 3 has been and remains a highly reliable car with an excellent AC system.

Don't know about your info, but for us in the Vancouver Canada area (luckily it doesnt get very hot except it did last summer) those posting on local Mazda boards complained about the AC issue in both 04 and 05's. Seems like everyone here is complaining. Only half decent cooling occurs if you have your setting at 2 or higher.
    Sounds like we have the same 2 problems - weak AC plus harsh shifting (1-2 gear) automatic tranny.

I also have the grinding rear brakes - they have been fixed 2 times - helps for about a month - then they start grinding again.

Me gots all three. The first one hasn't been fixed. The second one apparently has. A new software update I got from the weekend has dramatically lessened (but not eliminated) the harsh shifting. Call your dealer for an appointment but check to see if they have it as it is very very new. The brake issue I am waiting until I have less pads and I near my 1 year mark.

BTW, my M3 is an 05 bought in February with only 4800 KMs currently.
    There are several posters on another 3 forum that claim that their 05's (variety of build dates) did not have diffusers installed.
    Right, they claim, but was it actually proven? Dealers are not confirming this nor have any info on the net, which seems suspect.
    "Claim" was the word - several owners of 05's on another forum claim that they had dealers install diffusers that weren't there when they purchased the vehicle.

I'm no expert on automotive assembly, but Meade has shown that Mazda does not manufacture the AC system. Since there might not have been a significant change to the system from one model year to the next (please correct if you know the facts), it isn't hard to believe that some 05's may not have the diffuser.
  • gallahadiongallahadion Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my 06 3S Hatchback. The AC is fine, was 87 today and cooled just fine on the 1st setting. Did take about 5 minutes to get up to temp though.
    Some are saying that the AC micron filter/diffuser combo is history as a Mazda part, unless you find a source with some leftover.

Now they are installing filters (part #BP4K-61-J6X) instead. The filter serves the same purpose - slowing the air flow over the evaporator - no plastic diffuser required.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    I have the squeaky brakes right from day one. I asked Mazda Canada about the TSB for it and they told me that the TSB was for U.S cars only. Car made in Japan,sold in the U.S and Canada whats the difference. Do you know what they did? Sounds like they didn't change the pads as per TSB. I also asked them about a software to help eliminate the harsh shift, they told me no new software update. So how did your dealer manage to get the new software that Mazda Canada seems to know nothing about?? As for the A/C I think disconnecting the hoses to the heater during the summer would (might) help. Mine is a 2005 with 7000KM
    But the car is fun to drive even though in the future it might be in the shop more than on the road. PO*
  • mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    Never a dull moment with Meade on the watch. Love this segway. Wanna race your 3 vs. mine :)
    That's very odd. How can you be in 2nd gear on the freeway and not know it...hmmmm. Wouldn't your head go through the windshield every time you let off the gas? Do these cars have a tachometer BTW?
    I have decided to leave Edmunds for the foreseeable future as the civility of many of the new posters has become downright rude and obnoxious...time for me to go. It's just not fun anymore.
    It's been nice chatting with most people here in the Mazda 3 Forum and I wish y'all well. Good luck and G-D bless!

The Sandman :(
    I've never gotten the point of those transmissions.

I enjoy manual transmissions (especially the Mazda 3!), that's why I bought a vehicle with one. Many more like automatic transmissions, and they buy vehicles with AT.

Why do carmakers feel the need to sell AT vehicles with pseudo-MT features? IMHO, those who want an AT won't use it, and it won't make anyone who enjoys a manual transmission happy. :confuse:
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I know computers are smart, but I like to shift when I want to! When I have had automatic loaners, they have driven me crazy. Driving with a manual transmission is more of an experience IMHO. Even in heavy traffic, even at stoplights on hills, I love my M3 manual. It needs me, shifting gears is now man and machine unite.
    With today's buttery-sooth manual transmissions I don't see the reason for the rapid decline of the standard trans but I think these "manual automatics" might be contributing to it.

It's the "gimmick war" going on. If Honda offers it, Mazda has to, etc. etc.
    Especially on HP. But those are bragging rights.
    Good luck.

BTW - Edmund's forums is rated G compared to others (some don't qualify for R)
    I'd say the discourse on the Edmunds Mazda3 forum is extremely polite compared to some other 3 forums that are out there.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Don't let some of the folks get you frustrated....as somebody who has been around edmunds for many years I have seen alot of people come and go. The ones who bring the tone to a negative level never seem to last. Most folks have something to contribute even though we all may not agree. Some don't debate/discuss well and often become hyper-sensitive about things. There are some very passionate folks on here and they add some interesting perspective...some others don't want to hear it and have nothing to add other than personal attack...these are the ones who don't last but while they do its torture..LOL

As richml has pointed out, there are some boards that are downright repulsive with a bunch of know-nothings who think they know everything and when you disagree and prove them totally wrong they make vicious personal attacks to cover up their own ignorance. Thankfully I'm not talking about anything on edmunds but some other mazda3 forums found around the internet.

Don't sweat it and hang around a while...
    I'll second that motion. Sandman, you're one of the sane voices around here. FWIW, I think you should stick around.
  • daryldaryl Member Posts: 41
    While surfing eBay for Mazda3 stuff just to kill time, I ordered a short antenna. It's about 3-4 inches long, compared to the OEM 18 inch one. I've had it about a week. Not only does it look a lot better, the reception is just as good.
    Daryl
  • hkb322hkb322 Member Posts: 4
    i picked up my mazda3s two days ago and i just noticed the brake pedal makes a small "thud" whenever i release it. other cars that i've driven have made a similar noise when i removed my foot really quickly, but my 3's doing it even when i release gently. don't get me wrong, the brakes are working, it's just an annoying noise right now. is anyone else having this problem? any solutions?

i saw some posts in a toyota forum saying s/thing about greasing the driveshaft - is that what i should be doing too? lol, i don't even know what a driveshaft is!!
  • jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    While I agree that the manual transmission is preferable, the Mazda auto is a superb transmission and allows you to pick any gear you wish,similar to the manual.

It is useful in hilly areas with the speed control cause you can lock in 2nd or third at low speeds if needed, or lock in 4th to keep it from downshifting on medium grades.
  • m3gtm3gt Member Posts: 8
    THE WIFE - although it may seem like a gimmick - for me, the SportShift Automatic is the ultimate compromise... my wife it would seem can succeed at University, but can't learn how to shift a manual transmission - and hence I have to buy an automatic... except with the M3 SportShift I can still retain some control. - That's why it's a great product for me in particular.....
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    my wife ... can't learn how to shift a manual transmission - and hence I have to buy an automatic... except with the M3 SportShift I can still retain some control. - That's why it's a great product

Sounds like a new angle for marketing the 3. ;)
    In my family, my wife has her car (2002 Protege5 automatic), and I have mine (2005 Mazda3 manual). No problems!

Meade
    I rented an M3 and I found the sportshift or whatever you call it pretty handy for winding down fast hills here in Calif. I was rather disappointed in the handling, that would be my only real complaint of any signficance with the car....oh, and gas mileage wasn't all that great. Nice ride, comfortable cabin for big fellah. I may have overpowered the sound system however. :P
    Handling? :confuse: Didn't quite get it to G1? Mine doesn't either. :cry: Oh, well. Now where did I leave my Ferrari Enzo???
    Yeah, okay but there are minimum standards.

Actually I think the problem is that it is under-tired from the factory. The chassis itself is pretty firm, but the tires squish and move around a lot on turns. I was getting all kinds of "don't DO that" signals. True my usual car handles very well, but I couldn't even keep up with traffic on the high speed turns without feeling a bit uncomfortable. If a Ford diesel truck in front of me can scoot through that turn at 50 mph without wiggling, why couldn't the M3?

Tires, I think that's all it was.