Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• psmythpsmyth Member Posts: 2
    I don't know if this is what you mean but there is an adjustment button just above and to the left of the centre guage. It controls the brightness level of the guage cluster depending on whether you have you headlights on or not. It's easy to miss behind the steering wheel.
  • steph_stantonsteph_stanton Member Posts: 14
    Ya I checked the dial...my dealership was replacing my clock and I think they didn't hook it back up properly. I told them about it and they said they would fix it. But thanks for the advise.
  • kapuskapus Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone use any fuel system cleaner/additives on their 3? I have never used them on any of my other cars, but I saw a automotive show on tv a few weeks ago and the mechanic on the show basically said they work for cleaning the fuel injectors and in some instances help increase gas mileage. Any thoughts?
  • herrkaleuherrkaleu Member Posts: 62
    I now printed out the Mazda Service Bulletin... thanks for the link.
    I do have a hard time finding a filter. All online sources don't list one.
    When I did the oil change, they said it would cost 50$ (I'm not even sure if it included the filter), no way...
    Is there a good source for Mazda parts online? It seems I can order fenders, engines.. but not the cabin filter :-)

another thing I want to install, is there a wat to get an ambient thermometer (like they are standard in hte 2006 ones)? Is it easy to install the autodimming mirror that includes the thermometer in my 2005 5-door? Or is there anither way to get a decent thermometer without spending $200?
    i mean, I don't want a cheap Walmart thermometer for 10$ that is somehow difficult to install in a nice way (after all, it is a Mazda and not a Kia :-) without cables laying around?
    By the way, the oil change cost 27$ including tax... decent price. the replaced one of my tire valves that lost air (thanks to the tire pressure monitor I noticed it..) free of charge.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    yeah, i got one of those pieces of **** wal-mart brands: I dunno how you would install the temp sensor. you can contct the manufacturer and post back: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=3004- 88&siteid=214078&catalogid=3679
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    The mirror with temp is pretty easy to install, it took me a few hours on a sat afternoon. The directions are very easy to read. I bought mine at mazdastuff.com. It's an easy DIY project, just take your time and be deliberate.
    DIY project? It doesnt sound like it. I got an email from another online Mazda store and you have to install the sensor under the hood. There is a wire from the mirror to the sensor, so this to me sounds like you may have to take apart the roof upholostry to get it working. Oh, and the electrical? How was that hooked up?
  • lsmazda3sedanlsmazda3sedan Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a Mazda 3 sedan. It has less than 1,000 miles. I started notice a wind whistle around 75 to 80mph.. What I have also found out: if I press the internal roof trim close to the front overhead lights, the whistle goes almost away.. Have you tried that? I think there is some problems on how the internal roof trim is fixed, however I can't understand from where the air is coming from... I will try to address this in my first visit to the dealership. Let's see. I don't know if it is the same thing, but it is very weird..
  • jmnappjmnapp Member Posts: 13
    Hey, thanks for your response. My car is actually at the dealer right now to have the wind whistle problem fixed. He seems to think it's a rear wheel bearing, but I disagree as it sounds too much like the wind. I just called the service advisor and told him about your email. He is going to try pressing in the internal trim around the overhead lights to see if it solves the problem. Hopefully it will! I'll let you know what happens so you can relay that info to your dealer.
    It wasn't "rocket science". Believe it or not there was no magic involved, cars do come apart you know. Thankfully, I am literate and can follow instructions, hence it was not that difficult. The most difficult part was getting the molding clips off without breaking them, so it took a patient and gentle hand. I'll see if I can find a link to post for the instructions. If I can do it, most anyone can do it, and it works great. If you are not confident in your abilities, take it to a dealer and pay the $$$ for labor, it shouldn't take them more than 2 hours tops. I used to drive a VW, so I am well versed in minor self repairs and upgrades
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have had a rattle for the last few months and can't figure out how to make it stop.

It sounds like it may be coming from inside the pillar between the front and rear door - like maybe from the place where the drivers side seat belt hooks to the car. I have pulled the plastic trim off and everything looks tight - so I don't think its coming from the seat belt.

I get the noise when I back out of my driveway - and other times when turning on a slope - also sometimes happens when I stop - its almost like the frame of the car is flexing and I am getting a clicking sound.

At first I though it was just the rubber weather strip rubbing - so I put silicone on it - did nothing.

Planned to having Mazda look at it at my last oil change - but the service department was backed up and it would have taken 2 days.

Since I own a Chevy I am an expert at finding / killing rattles - but this one has me stumped.

I also had a very hard time starting the Mazda3 this morning - took 3 tries - its almost like I have the fuel pump problem again! Anyone had to have their fuel pump replaced more than once?

I pulled the spark plugs three looked good - one was a little dirty - not sure what that means - but it can't be good.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Z71bill try over at the Mazda3 forum. Also hows your A/C been performing in the Texas heat?
  • chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    My 05 hatch has had a rattle there as well since new. But the rattle is more of a buzzing sound (like a fly hovering near your left ear) when driving over certain unique pavement. Basically, I drive approx. 35 miles one way to work and about 1 mile of pavement (here and there put together) makes that seat belt area buzz. It's coming from the upper B pillar. I think it's the belt height position adjuster because the buzz changes slightly depending on the position of that adjuster. I also have curtain air bags around there so it could a piece of one interfering with the other. Not significant enough to be a nuisance; it's not even loud. As fast as it comes, it goes (just like a fly). And I'm so used to now that I don't notice it anymore.

I've had this rattle (like a drum tap or making popcorn sound) in the rear of my hatch for a while (since October). Occurs under 40 mph. I've ripped out the entire rear of the hatch putting the jack and pieces up front, but leaving only the spare in tact (actually, I took that apart and re fastened it). I think I've narrowed it to the hatch door locking mechanism vs. the 2 bumpers. It seems that the door locking mechanism is seated about 3/8 inch or 1cm out of its unit. It may need to be seated to about a 1/4 inch. Though, slipping a dollar bill between each bumper with the hatch closed produces a significant compression. I also get the popping noise when closing the car doors with all the windows closed (pressure effect). One other thing I noticed is that the hatch door bumpers seem to stick to the sheet metal to the point that it leaves a black residue at contact.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    Mazdastuff.com sells it. I contacted them when I was thinking about installing one, they E-mailed me the installation instructions. You should contact them.
  • chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    I installed my mirror about two months ago. It took me about 2 hours and wasn't that bad. Getting the A-pillar trim on and off was the most difficult part if you ask me. It feels like it's going to break, yet you have to keep applying more effort. Also, threading the temperature wire through the firewall can be intimidating since you can't really see what you're doing. You just have to take your time and make sure it's nice outside because I performed this procedure in the cold (not fun). BTW, I've never done REAL work on a car before other than changing light bulbs, oil, air filters and things of that nature. I also ordered and installed a LED brake light. Don't know why Mazda cheaped out with 3 because the Protege5 had an LED brake light integrated in the rear spoiler.

I also have an annoying squeak/rattle somewhere in the floor/front left suspension area that comes and goes. My biggest fear is that it's suspension related because whenever I hear it, I feel it too. It pops up over broken pavement and feels like something is wrong. Dealer can't duplicate problem even though they claim they drive the car over rough surfaces.
    A previous VW owner confident with doing repairs? That says it all. ;)

Doing anything for 2 hours mechanical requires a lot of patience and not worth the hassle imo.

Thanks for confirming that working on the car for 2 hours to install the mirror is not an easy DYI project. I'll stick with my magnetic compass and wal-mart thermometer, thank you. :P
    Here is a link to the 2006 Mazda3 w/auto climate control. As I mentioned before this is the fix. God only knows why Mazda only introduced in the US for 2006 and in only GT models and in Canada in 2007. In virtually every other part of the world, it was available when the Mazda3 was first introduced back in 2004. The fan in the climate control also has 7 speeds (see page 6-7):
    http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2006Mazda3OM.pdf
    Sometimes it is just nice to know you can do things for yourself. The sense of accomplishment is nice, even for a minor project like a new mirror with a compass and temp, but you are correct, a compass velcroed to the dash does the same thing. I have thought about adding a cradle for my GPS unit, that may be something else for you to consider also, I am sure you could probably handle applying suction cups to a window :)
    Learning to operate hand held GPS, that's probably another story ;)
    So you think the auto climate control somehow increases the capacity of the AC system? Not sure I understand why that would - by itself - change anything.

Seems like if you set the manual system on max cooling - and do the same with the auto climate control system you would get the same amount of cold air. At least that is the way it works with my SUV that has an auto feature - I get the same amount of cold (or heat) even if I switch over to manual - the only advantage of the auto system is it turns itself on and off to keep the temperature within a set range. It actually slows down and speeds up the fan.

I am not saying it is impossible that the cars equipped with the auto system have better AC -

but

If the cars with the auto climate control do have better AC systems (vs the manual controlled cars) then there must be something else that is causing the change. Maybe a change in the control logic that keeps the system running longer.

I also do not see why having 7 fan speeds would make much difference (in cooling capacity). If it is just more fan settings - assuming the max speed is still the same. My car actually cools better on speed 3 than it does on speed 4. Even though speed 3 gives less air volume - it is colder air.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    My car actually cools better on speed 3 than it does on speed 4. Even though speed 3 gives less air volume - it is colder air

This is almost always the case. It was once explained to me: The slower moving air at the lower fan speeds has more time to "get chilled" passing thru the evaporater. If you put a thermometer in the vent, you can see this right away as you increase the fan speed, the vent temp will also increase.

On the issue of the auto climate control vs manual AC...I tend to agree with your premis...unless the cooling hardware is different, i doubt there will be any significant difference in the cooling capabilities of either system. Unless, as you mentioned, the sensors in the auto system somehow allow the compressor to stay on longer.

My son had an 05 hatch titanium...(unfortunately totalled 2 months ago) and replaced it with an 06 GT red. (w/the auto climate controls) We live in Tucson, so we know about summer heat and AC....he states that the 06 cools better than the 05. Altho he admits that my Highlander cools down much faster, and blows colder...even with the much larger interior volume.

It seems to me, as noted many many times here, that for some reason, the 3's compressor just doesn't stay on long enough to cool the car rapidly. z71bill...I feel your angst... :-(

BTW, my son had both cars tinted, and said it made a big difference, but when the car has been sitting soaking in the sun in 95+ degrees all day, it takes a very long time to get comfortable. But so did his 2001 Civic....he states the 3 is the same as the Civic in that one regard...however he will not buy another Civic...the 3 being "so much better in every other way." :-)
    "Better on speed 3 than it does on speed 4" - Although I agree that most systems will put out colder air when you slow down the fan - that is not exactly what I mean.

With my other vehicles (ones I own now + prior) the inside of the car would cool down faster and become colder if the fan speed was set at its highest level. This is not true with my Mazda3.

(Made up numbers - just an example!)
    With my other cars it was like 20 cubic feet/minute of 44 degree air (fan on high) made the car feel cooler than 15 cubic feet/minute of 38 degree air - fan on medium speed.

I think the reason this is normally true is - if the fan is on high you have more air being forced through the evaperator - this larger volume of air keeps the evaperator from cooling down - once the evaperator cools to a set point (around 32 degrees) a signal goes to the compressor to shut down. By not allowing the evaperator to cool down to its set point (as fast) - makes the compressor run longer - so it is able to do more work.

As far as the auto climate control making the system work better - I have not tried a Mazda3 with this feature so I don't know - but most cars with a auto climate control can be switched over to manual control. If the auto feature really is the reason the system works better then I would think if you switched over to manual mode the AC would not cool as well - but if it still works just as well in manual mode - which I assume is better than my car that only has manual mode - then there must be another reason for the improvement.

I will take my Mazda3 into the dealer on Monday - I had a hard time starting it again this morning - engine turns over fine - but it just takes a long time to start up. After it finally does start it seems to run fine - so I am thinking its the fuel pump (again). I am going to try and get them to also replace my spark plugs with a hotter plug.
    Actually, there may not be [much] difference in the hardware but there are differences, especially in the software. Have you downloaded the PDF I posted? If you have, you would see in page 6-15) 182 that are additional sensors inside the cabin to maintain desired temps. An additional AMB switch is also present. It's a completely different layout. This is the way it is and has been in Europe and Asia since 2004

Eureka! problem found.
    I already have a GPS, thank you.

But, if you like to tinker and take things apart in your new car go ahead. Some people don't tinker and don't want to complicate things. Some people also like to do bungee jumping and do river-rafting, or swim with the sharks. Different strokes for different folks.

Anytime myself or anyone else including a certified mechanic worked on any car for more than an hour, something is always screwed up. It's the law of averages. Besides, if someone has 2+ hours to burn on installing a mirror, it's probably time to get a part-time job or do something else more practical with their time and life. :shades:
    Do these sensors do anything while in manual mode? I don't know - but my guess would be no. So if you turn the AC over to manual and turn it on Max cooling does it kick out more / less / or the same amount of cold air as when you have it over on auto pilot - with the setting turned to max cold?

I am thinking it makes no difference - unless the sunlight sensor overrides the system and tells it to run longer between cycles when in auto mode.

Its good if Mazda improved the AC for the 2006 model year - but shame on them for letting all the customers who took a chance on a 2004-2005 model just twist in the wind (or bake in the sun) It will be very hard for me to ever buy another Mazda - like their car - hate their service after the sale.
    I look at things differently.

It makes no difference to me if the A/C doesnt work well in manual mode. With the auto feature, it becomes redundant. The auto uses the interior sensors to climatize the interior properly. Analysing the manual component now becomes a moot issue.

And your mistaken, Mazda did NOT improve the A/C in [some] 2006 and 2007 models in Canada. They only added the same features that's always been available in Mazda3 in other countries. It's totally insane why Mazda didnt even introduce climate control in any Mazda3's in Canada while in the US, it's available in 2006 GT. I guess they think the temps are around freezing and we all wear beaver pelts all year round. WTF?? :mad:

Clearly, Mazda has heard the complaints (but won't admit they exist) about the poor A/C and finally decided to put back what they NEVER should not have removed when assembling the Mazda3 for North America.
  • lena3lena3 Member Posts: 1
    Had A/C repaired on '05 3s in July 2005 because it was not getting cold enough. After A/C was fixed, gas mileage became worse :confuse: . Before A/C was fixed, gas mileage was pretty good. Also having first-gear problem w/cold engine.
    if someone has 2+ hours to burn on installing a mirror, it's probably time to get a part-time job or do something else more practical with their time and life.

To be honest, I'm a physician so I am quite busy, and I have to work non-traditional hours. However, I do enjoy talking about cars with folks online when time permits. I also enjoy learning how to do new things. I am proud that I successfully modified my car with a new gadget. Your last post kind of torched me, calling me lazy? I hope it made you feel better. Nice place, you Canadians sure are a friendly lot...Next topic please, I consider the issue dead.
    dride, my goodness. i think you're skimming (instead of reading). i hope you don't do that with your patients' medical reports...oh wait a minute, that's what physicians do. in now way did i imply you're lazy; rather, you have too much time on your hands and it would be better spent doing something more meaningful and beneficial instead of wasting 2 hours to install a mirror. if you don't want to read the posts, don't. you're not the moderator here.

moontom, you say your say the dealer fixed your A/C? that's like saying you had cancer and now your're cured. can you elaborate what dealer did to fix your problem??
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I also enjoy learning how to do new things. I am proud that I successfully modified my car with a new gadget.

Agreed. The more we pay attention to the maintenance and upgrade of our zoomobiles, the more we appreciate them. I'd encourage Mazda and its dealerships to consider offering "how to" sessions similar to the Saturday show n' tell improvement sessions offered by Home Depot and others. Here are a few examples: how to check engine fluids and do a monthly inspection; how to switch wheels in the winter; how to upgrade your wheels; how to change your battery; how to change your spark plugs. Some may think this counter to a dealership's interests, but I'd venture to say that a lot of good will would be created by these efforts with participating dealers receiving good references which hopefully would result in new and repeat business.

p.s. Likely, once some of us see what's involved in the work, we'd gladly let the mechanics do it. ;)
  • slate1slate1 Member Posts: 84
    "you have too much time on your hands and it would be better spent doing something more meaningful and beneficial instead of wasting 2 hours to install a mirror. [ex_tdier]"

hmmmmm - you mean as opposed to spending countless hours in online forums for example???

I agree with autonomous - doing things yourself is an excellent way to learn more about the vehicle you own. That can't possibly be a bad thing.

Interestingly, I believe I read somewhere that Saturn used to do those Saturday clinics autonomous is speaking of.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please try not to over-personalize your comments. This forum is supposed to be fun and informative and you are here to enjoy yourselves (hopefully).

thank you for observing the rules of common courtesy!

best

MrShiftright
    Host
    Since I have a car with a weak manual AC it is not a MOOT POINT for me - I would like to determine what the REAL cause of the problem is - I would bet that is also true for all of the Mazda3 owners that have a weak AC.

BTW - I dont' think the temperature sensors produce any cold air (do you?) - so they do not increase the system capacity one little bit. They just turn the system off and on - so - if the AC with auto control is better - they must have improved / changed something else - right?
    Lol. Sure, whatever. As if we (the Mazda owners) will ever get Mazda to admit to anything.

Trying to find out why the manual A/C is inadequate is an exercise in futility...now that we know that the everywhere else in the world the Mazda3's had climate control going back to the production years of 2004 and have had no complaints. So, no. I dont think Mazda North America changed anything, they only neglected to add the auto climate control in Mazda3's until recently and only in 06's GT's in the USA.

Basic common sense tells us that are car with interior A/C sensor(s) will have more of a constant temperature than one without. Even an inferior system can be made to work well as long as the sensors tell the PCM to keep running the compressor. And this is the problem, if you havent figured it out by now.

I can now move on knowing that auto-climate control is the answer and always has been. However, I do wonder why those dumb [non-permissible content removed]'s at Mazda North America didnt want the auto climate in their Mazda3s and people like us are suffering as a result.

All I care about it is how can I get auto climate in my Mazda3 installed and working because believe it or not, Mazda has left us to dry on this one.

If you want to become knowlegable on how auto climate control works, I suggest visiting that A/C forum link I previously posted.
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Doubt the auto climate control has anything to do with any perceived improvement. The inside sensors tell the climate control system when to add or not add a bit of heat to keep the car inside temperature where you want it. You do the same thing with a manual climate control with the temperature knob.

This should have nothing to do with how long the ac compressor works. My understanding is the ac system compressor comes on until a certain temp is achieved then the compressor cycles off until a high limit temp is reached and this cycle continues. If you add heat to the air coming into the car has nothing to do with this cycling. These high and low temps are monitored inside the ac system itself not in the interior of the car per se.
    I think the whole point ex_tdier is trying to make is that the Mazda3 equipped with Automatic Climate Control works and works well.

I can attest to this - as I've stated here before, we've had several 90°F+ days here in balmy South Carolina and the automatic A/C in my '06 3GT has had no problem quickly cooling off the car. Even after it has sat with its black leather interior baking in the sun for four hours.

If you search on other forums, you'll find others too with automatic A/C in their '06 3's that are getting satisfactory results.

The bottom line is - it works. We could spend 100 postings speculating as to why this is - but it will still be speculation. As for those with sub-par systems, I feel for you - I'm miserable in the summer heat and it's a pity that Mazda hasn't satisfactorily addressed the problem in your cars.

They do have a solution however - the proof is in these '06's with auto-A/C that work exceptionally well.
    I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that the MPG reading on the GT's trip computer is consistently about 1-1.5MPG low.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from it - not sure at all how it's calculating it. All I know is that every time I check it against my calculations it's about 1-1.5MPG low.

For example - last night the trip computer was showing 21.9MPG. When I filled up - I calculated it at 23.2MPG based on my mileage and the amount of fuel I put in. It's read consistently low like this since purchase 2200 miles ago.

Incidentaly - this was all city driving with lots of stop and go... hence the 23.2 MPG - I got around 33MPG on a longer highway trip recently.
    I think an accurate reason about why it works or does not work better is important. Only that way can it be decided how the sub par systems may be fixed.

Antedoctal evidence about how well any one system (automatic climate control or not) works is just that. Only a side by side comparision yields anything. Just like in medicine.

Love to see someone measure some air temps in both versions and give us something we can hang our hat on.
  • lizzysunlizzysun Member Posts: 1
    I can't remember how to change my ambient temp setting back to fahrenheit. Took in for stereo work and now it is set on celsius. I have done this one time in past--I know it is something about pressing media and power(while power is on) for 5 secs. I did this-turned car off and restarted but still celsius setting. Tried several times. Help!!
    I agree - there is no basis to conclude that the auto climate control fixed the weak AC -

Since not all 2006 Mazda3's have auto climate control - are the cars with manual control still having AC issues?

Has anyone with an auto climate control experienced poor AC performance?

(Again) - Anyone with auto control experience a big drop in the cooling performance if they switch their AC over to manual control (set AC to max cooling)?
    I think the point here is with Climate control how often does the conpressor stay on to keep the cabin cool if it is really hot. With mine, 05, no mater the temp the compressor cycles 10 to 12 seconds on than about 1 minute off. With climate control does it cycle on more than 12 seconds at any one time. Can the compressor stay on for 30sec, 45 sec., or as long as 1 minute or longer to keep the cabin at the temp you set it at???? Those with 06 with climate control might want to confirm this.
    This could not be more non-scientific if it had to be!

However - I took a digital thermometer and measured the air coming from the center vents under the following conditions:

Auto-Climate Control: OFF
    A/C: ON
    Recirculate: OFF
    Temperature Setting: Lowest possible, 60°F
    Fan Speed: 1
    Ambient Air Temperature: 69°F

The air coming from the center vents measured 40.9°F and the compressor cycled on for approximately 10-12 seconds and then off for approximately 15-20 seconds consistently during the 5 minutes I took measurements.

It's actually been pretty cool and overcast today, so not the best "test" day. We should have some 85°F and sunny days towards the end of the week - I'll post results again on one of those days.

Hope this helps answer some questions.
  • bellamusicabellamusica Member Posts: 21
    I have an 06 GT hatch, and I too have noticed that the average MPG reading on the trip computer is low. At first I thought that perhaps I was filling the tank inconsistently causing my manual calculations to be incorrect. I no longer feel that way, as the reading is ALWAYS low.

BTW, my auto-climate control seems to keep my car plenty cool so far. I have tinted my windows to 30% all around, so that helps too.
    Based on what (I think) I know about auto climate control -it does not control the cycle time of the compressor - that function would still be controlled by the same sensors as the manual system. They signal the compressor to shut down when the evaperator reaches a set temperature - around 32 degrees. This may seem very basic - but the compressor does not run at 25% or 50 % or 75% - is either on or off.

If the auto climate control forced the compressor to keep running after the evaperator reached 32 degrees it would freeze over and the cooling would drop to zero.

The auto climate control simply adjusts the fan blower speed - if you set the system on auto (hot car) the fan will run on high speed - as the car starts to cool the fan speed will slow down.

slate1 - the test I would run would be to set you system to run on MAX cooling for both auto and manual control - does the vent temp change when you switch between manual and auto? That is the change you are trying to determine - my guess is it will not change much if at all.

If the auto control switches between recirc and fresh air then try and run the test with the recirc on.
    No offense Bill, but I don't see the relevance of testing Auto-on.

Your question was if there was a significant drop in performance in manual mode.

If it's throwing out ~40°F air at max cooling in manual mode, then, it's an easy conclusion that the answer is "No". The output in Auto-mode would have to be in the low-mid 30°F range in order for that to hold water. There's no way it's going to be that low. On the other hand, if you want me to do it to satisfy your curiosity I'll be happy to do so - only took about 10 minutes.

As for the auto-climate control only adjusting fan speed, that's simply not true. It adjusts fan speed, where the air is directed (feet, vents, etc.), recirculate or fresh intake (overrideable without going out of auto-mode), and also adjusts what I can only call mixture... that would be how much a/c cooled air is being mixed with warmed or ambient air.

In actuality, the A/C NEVER goes off in Auto-mode. When it's 30°F outside and the auto-climate control is running, the A/C light is still on and the compressor is indeed cycling. Before you ask - the auto system heats the car up quickly too...
    No offense taken - maybe I have beaten this thing to death - the original question may have been lost.

It was - does the auto climate control cool better (as in make the car colder on a hot day) than the manual system? OR - Did installing the auto climate control solve the weak AC issue in the Mazda3?

I do see your point - if the manual mode blows 40 degree air that is pretty good - so that would lead me to think that Mazda has done something else to get more capacity (other than just adding the auto feature).

The reason I am beating this thing is if I could somehow figure out what was changed I would try and get Mazda to do that to my car. I ask them last year if the sunlight sensor would improve my AC - I would have been willing to pay them to install it - but I was told that it could not be done - and would not make any difference anyway.
    z71bill check out the other Mazda 3 forum. Someone posted a $1 mod that helped his A/C...
    Does the amount of coolant give any indication as to the potential performance of the system? Under the hood there's a sticker stating that my system holds 1.1 lbs. of coolant - is it the same on yours?
    It was - does the auto climate control cool better (as in make the car colder on a hot day) than the manual system? OR - Did installing the auto climate control solve the weak AC issue in the Mazda3?

You havent been paying attention, have you? :P The auto-climate control was made and installed in the 2004+ overseas models just like the rest of the body parts. In otherwords, you're asking: "which came first, the chicken or the egg"?

I disagree that there is no link between auto climate and the compressor. I believe (unless an A/C tech tells me otherwise), the auto-climate control DOES control the compressor cycling time. The interior sensors send a message to the onboard computer and that plays a key role in controlling the cycling time.

C'mon, think about it and let's get back to what was originally said here, the compressor is on for 10 seconds. It "rests" for 60 seconds and then restarts again. It's during the "resting" phase that there is inadequate cooling because the gas is not being pumped. If the compressor was on longer, a lot longer there would NOT be an A/C issue. The actual vent temps prove this. It's when the compressor is off that there is no cold air. Make sense? :confuse:

The manual A/C system on it's own is bad but that could be due to the 134A gas and the size of the evaporator. However, Mazda engineers knew of this when the designed the Mazda3 so they offered their Mazda3's equipped with auto climate control to greatly improve the A/C performance (wer're talking many years ago when they were CADing the Mazda3.

And forget about Mazda doing any mods to your car. The car cannot have ambient temperature monitoring. The wiring harness to do so cannot be installed in our models. Doing so would basically require the car to be torn down and rebuilt. This is why Mazda North America won't acknowledge the problem. They neglected to include it in their North American Mazda3 models. They realize it was a mistake not to offer it in North American models and now are including it (or soon will be) like they did when they first built the Mazad3 years ago for countries other than Canada and USA.
    Ex, With all due respect, you are incorrect as to how AC works. The cycling of the compressor is related to the temperature in the AC system itself (evaporator or ?) not in the interior of the car.

The AC compressor does not care about the temperature in the car interior at all. If you have your auto CCset for 70F on and 80F day the ac will work until interior temp is 70F. If interior temp goes below 70F the ac compressor continues to work, a blend door or some system bleeds in a little warm air until you get back to 70F.

The only time ac compressor is off is when you default it off, shut off the fan or if the outside temperature is below the low default temp fot the evaporator (if it is already cold enough no need to come on). I'm not an ac tech but the above is my understanding about how ac works. If you watch closely how/when your ac works I trust you'll agree.

Bottom line as mentioned earlier by others is unless Mazda made other changes to the ac system, making it auto would have little/nothing to do with the ultimate performance or cooling ability.