Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    what actually is the problem? I have noticed this as well, but not all the time.
  • clarissaclarissa Member Posts: 10
    Hey DC... so it's now the 25th and they still have my car. It will be 2 weeks. The service guy said they still can't duplicate the problem. They actually had the Mazda people down to look at the car, too. No one could find anything. They've already put 150 miles on the car, trying to find a problem. One of the senior techs took the car home last night. They're supposed to call me today with some sort of answer, especially because I still have a loaner car from their lot. What do you think my options are? Who should I contact next? I'm over Mazda already! :lemon:
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    First of all, I would wait to see what Mazda says. It sounds like they are really trying to duplicate your issue and at least you have a loaner car (cannot tell you how many times VW left me stranded with no loaner). If their explanation and solution to your problem is not acceptable, I would talk to the general manager and explain (as professionally and calmly as possible) the issues. It is pretty easy to get emotional and upset in these types of issues, I have found that people tend to treat you nice if you treat them nice..

Second, I would review the lemon law in your state and see what your options are. Every state is different.. Like I mentioned, in VA, we have several laws here to protect consumers, one being if the dealer has the car for a period of 30 or more calendar days within one year of purchase, the car is considered a lemon.

Third, document everything! If you do have to consult with a lemon law attorney, they will need all the proper documentation. Also, I would becareful using the term "lemon law" with the car dealer. Once you use that term, they may stop cooperating with you..

Search around the Internet for your states laws. If you qualify, you will most likely need to consult an attorney. Sorry to hear about your problem...
    Thanks DC... you are a gem!
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    Your situation totally sucks. Let us know what turns out. As much as you are cursing Mazda, I went through a similar problem with a VW, the dealer could not replicate the problem I was having (stalling). At the end of the ordeal, I still had a new car that was junk AND a $160.00 rental car fee for driving a rental Jetta for a week. I agree with DC, when you talk to these dealership people be cool and calm.
    They just called and said that I could go and pick up my car. He said they had an updated version of some crap, and that it seemed the problem was fixed (mind you, they could not find the "problem" up until last night). So my guess is that they have no idea what the "problem" was, and decided to just give it back, as they are tired of me drive their loaner. I'm confused and a bit mad. It's because I'm a girl, I'm sure. I will never buy a Mazda again. :confuse:
  • mscafmscaf Member Posts: 5
    hey brodie2 thanks i'll check into that on my next service...mike
    At least they updated something.. If your car stalls again, talk to the general manager and explain your situation. Like the previous post mentioned, all I ever got from VW was a fat rental car bill...

That said, it is your new car and you should be driving it.. Is there another nearby Mazda dealership in your area? Reason I ask is that some dealerships service department are more competent than others.

I hope your issue is resolved (although I too am skeptical that they could fix a problem they could never replicate).
  • lowd0wnlowd0wn Member Posts: 3
    thanks!! So far the dealer hasn't been able to fix it. I just got it back again yesterday and so far so good!! I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Appreciate the help.
  • brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    What was the update? I would love to know what it was because I suffered from the same problem and they replaced all kinds of parts - all which were unsuccessful - love to know if they tried something different with your car.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Funny thing about these PCM updates (I call them firmware updates) is that two different dealers in the same town can have completely different info on the update. I have one dealer that says he has received an email from Mazda about a new upcoming update but it's not out yet. At another dealer they havent even heard of it, or at least are not admitting to it unless they have received official news about it...perhaps they dont want to say anything cuz things may change from the time the email they receive andd the time the update actually arrives.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Yep.

Photos and a video link here:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/8002862p-7895933c.html

Now I'm wondering how many Speed3's may have been on board...
    Guess I won't be watching the video, not with them wanting my phone number and household income (along with about 20 other needlessly personal questions) to "register".

Meade
    That's weird.

The first time I went to the Anchorage News website, I went straight to the news story with no registration. And now when I tried to go back, I get that stupid registration page.

Sorry about that. :blush:
  • dagmar3dagmar3 Member Posts: 8
    Try this link:
    http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/07/26/016069.html

Why couldn't this ship have carried something useless, like the Honda Ridgeline? :cry:
  • chyv1083chyv1083 Member Posts: 7
    After much debate between the two halves of my brain I am still in a dillema. I like both the civic and the mazda 3 hatch.

1. For mazda owners, how reliable is the car?

2. I wanted to get the same features and options the civic ex has into the mazda 3 hatch, so I was thinkin the S Touring (AT) with only the moonroof package(for now). After calculating this on mazda's site it comes to a little over 20k (not too bad for all the options and safety features i guess).

3.If any of you own this type of setup listed above, how much did you end up paying?

4. I guess in the longrun the mazda is a couple thou cheaper? :)*oh no minor venting period ahead*: Since the CA amongst other dealers think its an excellent idea to markup the civic with rediculus numbers-23,999+tax+tags+emissions+docfees+whatever else they can think of tacking on the OTDP- I can understand a little bit of a markup but yuck.) I dunno anymore :cry:

5. I really love the hatch, and can't stand regular trunks(you can fit so much more) but I like the civic ex.

well i guess my whole point is i need some guidance or something. Have a good day everyone :shades: .
    Well, that link is all fine and dandy, but the earlier link had a series of photo and a video shot from a Coast Guard helo.

Kinda interesting seeing a container ship that big lying over one it's side but apparently still floating just fine (at last reports..... :surprise: ).
  • sunsh05sunsh05 Member Posts: 8
    ... well, on my 3s. Someone threw an egg on the back of my car and it dried quickly (weather was hot and sunny). After spending much time at the car wash, the pieces and dribbles of dried egg are gone, however, it appears to have damaged the finish because you can still see where it was. Any thoughts/suggestions as to what to try next?? Thanks!
  • mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    Make sure you drive the Mazda on a hot day to make sure the A/C is cold enough for you.
    "1. For mazda owners, how reliable is the car? "

So far mine (an 06 model) has zero problems. I was in the same boat as you until I drove them back to back. When all was said and down I picked up a loaded (moonroof/6cd changer, side airbag/curtain package, rear lip spoiler, etc) for LESS than a Civic LX.. I was able to pickup my 3 for under invoice, and local Honda dealers wanted close to MSRP on the Civic. Honda makes very reliable vehicles (I also own a Honda), but the 06 Civic is a brand new model year and there have been some problems.

"3.If any of you own this type of setup listed above, how much did you end up paying?"

I actually own a loaded 3i Touring (manual) but in my area, Northern VA, you get pickup a 3 at near invoice. Supply is starting to get a little tighter but you can still get an 06 for a great price in my area. The car with the options you listed can be found for under 19K in my area (before tax and tag).

You really cannot go wrong with either the Honda or the Mazda, but I personally think the Mazda is sportier, more fun to drive, and less expensive.
    Wow, that's nasty. I wonder what Mazda will do, salvage the vehicles, fix and detail them, and pass them off to the dealer and it will be buyer beware? I mean, the car was not in a collision so they (MAZDA) are not obligated to report any damage, or are they?
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    Here's an update:
    http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/8010116p-7903117c.html

One of my friends has a good friend who works for Toyota. He got good deals on a couple of Toyotas that had suffered water damage during shipment. He didn't have any water damage related problems afterward. The law wouldn't allow the water damaged vehicles to be sold as new.

I guess the condition of the vehicles on this vessel remains to be seen.

Even more important - a Meade posting! Welcome back!
    So far it appears the members appreciate my re-appearance much more than the hosts, who have remained quiet on the fact that I've resurfaced after a seven-month absence. Oh well.

My little ol' 2005 Mazda3 hatch is doing just fine. 24,200 miles and zero problems. The air conditioning seems to be even COLDER these days -- even with some record heat we've been having! Every day for the forseeable future has a forecast high of approximately 95 with our mid-Atlantic infamous high humidity on top of that, yet there are times I've had to turn the thermostat UP and the fan speed down to 1 -- believe it or not!

I'm only 800 miles away from my first FREE replacement set of Eagle RSAs, which my dealership provides at no charge as long as I do my routine maintenance work there. (The tires are down to their treadwear indicators, but my dealership won't let you do it unless you have at least 25K miles on the tires. Bad policy, I know -- but hey, have you priced the OEM tires? This will save me more than $800 by the time they're mounted and balanced -- not a bad deal!)

All in all, I'm enjoying the heck out of the car. I bought the Thule roof rack for it a few months back and am now hauling all sorts of stuff on top of my car. I've driven as far as Pittsburgh (7-hour drive), I've driven the car (loaded to the gills with camping equipment) up to 4,000 feet on a southwest Va. mountaintop -- and the last three miles of the trip were a 2,000-foot climb up the mountain on a gravel and dirt road, and taken many shorter trips. I also use the car on my daily 38-mile round trip commute. Yeah, I'm rackin' up the miles, but the car never complains. I'm routinely getting 27 mpg during the week and 32-34 on trips -- I'd probably tweak that a little higher if this little rocket wasn't so damned fun to drive at 80 mph!!!

Meade
  • steph_stantonsteph_stanton Member Posts: 14
    My very good friend works for Mazda Canada and no they're not salvaging the cars...they're all written off and I guess covered by insurance...so don't worry...none of the cars will be surfacing at any dealerships...especially since the ship is somewhere out near Alaska.
  • steph_stantonsteph_stanton Member Posts: 14
    Please note that my above information comes strictly through conversation...so don't hold me as a definite source :)
    If true, that would be a good thing; however, if there any cars that weren't damaged, or damaged too badly,it would be safe to assume that Mazda would sell them.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Glad to see you back - I wondered a few times where you were hiding out - thought maybe you had got the boot - or - traded in your Mazda on a Chevy (used Cav?) or maybe got put in Edmunds jail.

I replaced my stock Goodyears tires at about 20K - no way I could have ever made it to 25K - they were getting scary on wet roads. I would see if your dealer would put something other than Goodyears - IMO they are worthless - I would not want another set on my Mazda3 - even if they installed a set for free plus PAID me $800.

I ALMOST wish my Mazda3 had some problems - so we would have something to argue about!
    Hey Bill! Well, I am in fact in the middle of discussing the tire issue with my dealership's service manager. It would be nice (and seem logical) for him to consider a tire that lasts longer and costs less, but I do understand that bending the rules for one customer could result in a landslide that would turn my dealership into another TireRack store ... so maybe they have to draw the line somewhere. I can put up with the tires -- they're not great, but they're not the worst tires I've ever had either -- by far. Mine actually are still doing OK (not spectacular) in the rain, but I'm being careful. I hydroplaned and totaled a 10-month-old 1992 Protege 14 years ago, and I still remember what "45 to zero in 0.1 seconds" feels like!

(Ouch!)

Meade
    Just curious, what brand and size of tires do you guys have and what PSI are you inflating to? It seems that [most] dealers inflate the tires way above the factory specs, say 36 PSI or higher.
    Actually, I would say that *many* dealers forget to decrease the pressure once the tires get off the boat. They're shipped over here WAY overinflated -- the exact reason I'm unsure of -- but my dealer forgot to check the pressure when he delivered the car to me, and after finding the first few miles very harsh, I stopped and checked my tire pressure -- 52 PSI!!!

The correct inflation pressure for your tires is ALWAYS found on a label inside the driver's door. I'd just be guessing if I told you a number for mine -- something like 32 or 34. My car, a 2005 Mazda3s hatch, has the stock 205/50-17 Goodyear Eagle RSAs.

Meade
    The Mazda3 door label is 32 psi (front & rear) for both the 16 & 17 inch tires/wheels.

The way I look at it - 32 should be the minimum PSI - you can increase if you want - up to the max on the tire sidewall - it is a simple way to tune the ride and handling. In most cases going more than 5 PSI above the car manufacturer's number will hurt the ride and handling rather than help it. But tires are not all the same - so if you replace the stock tires you need to play around a little to get the "right" PSI.

My experience with the stock Goodyear's 32 PSI is about right - any more makes the ride very harsh with no real improvement in handling - IMO this is a result of the very stiff sidewall.

I went with the Kumho ASX in a 215 50 17 - I started with 32 PSI - but now use 34 in the front and 33 in the rear. The Kumho has a softer sidewall (Vs Goodyear RS-A) so by adding more air it firms up the ride and handling a little. Even at the slightly higher PSI my Mazda3 still has a much softer ride than it did with the RS-A's - I am sure I gave up a little bit of handling at the limit - but have not really noticed it.

It may not sound possible that a 2 pound change in tire PSI would even be noticed - but it does make a difference.
    z71bill,

How do you like your Kumho tires? I replaced my OEM tires on my last car (02 Altima SE) from Bridgestone to Kumho and noticed a substantial difference in overall road feel, rain and snow handling, and overall handling.

I would definitely buy Kumho again, and am not entirely impressed with the OEM Mazda3 tires..
    I have almost 3,500 miles on the Kumho ASX tires - so it is a little early to say for sure but so far they have been good.

The Goodyear RS-A in a 205 50 17 were almost $650 (Discount tire) VS $450 for the Kumho ASX in a 215 50 17. (both installed balanced with 8.25% tax, I never buy the extended warranty)

The Kumho in this size is actually very close to the size of the stock Goodyear (in revs per mile) - closer than the 205 50 17 Kumho.

They fit great and I have seen no change in my speedo - I checked it with a hand held GPS.

When I first drove out of Discount Tire after having the ASX tires installed my engine was making a strange noise - then I realized that my tires were NOT making any noise so for the first time in 2 years I could actually hear the engine. Sounded good - much better than the tire noise.

Driving on roads that made the RS-A howl are now pretty quiet. The ride is now smooth - I can no longer feel every little bump in the road. I like the improved ride. The wet traction has been the biggest improvement - but the RS-A were worn out so its not really fair to compare - if the road by my house was wet I could spin the front tires like they were on ice - and if I was not real careful the back end would start to break loose in a corner - much better traction now.
  • jord27jord27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mazda 3GT(Canadian version of the 3S) with the 5spd. manual tranny, and I have been noticing a distinct hesitation, anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds when starting out in first gear, especially with the A/C on.

I was driving with my wife yesterday evening and made a right turn at the lights, and while taking off in 1st, the engine literally had ZERO torque for about 3 seconds! I seriously thought I was going to die as a large dodge ram was approaching quite quickly towards me. Needless to say I nearly filled my pants and assured my wife that I would take the car to the dealership to get looked at. The problem of hesitation seems worse with the A/C on, however it still hesitates (to a lesser degree) with the A/C off as well. Has anyone experienced this problem and could let me know what the dealerships have told you?

The reason why I am posting this is that I feel this is a potential safety issue. I have never driven a car that has done this, not even a 16-year old toyota camry!
  • jmnappjmnapp Member Posts: 13
    There is a "reflash" software update for the engine for this issue. I am taking mine in this Saturday to have it done. Hopefully it will solve the problem. There have been many complaints regarding this issue and it took Mazda a long time to resolve it. Read further on this thread and you will see others with the same concern. Ask your service manager to research the "reflash" update. It just came out.
    I have the Toyo Proxes and I can't get a definite answer on how much air I put it. But, as a rule, I add more air in the summer when the roads are dry and keep up with the OEM specs in the winter. However, it makes no sense to me why the rears are to have the same PSI as the front when there is no load in the back.
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I thought the reflash update only applied to automatic transmissions, not manual transmissions. Can anyone confirm this?
    The rears don't need as much air - but I still like to keep the PSI difference at 2 PSI or less on a car.

With my truck I would run 35 in the front and 30 in the rear most of the time with no load in the bed.

This works on larger tires (I ran 285 75 16 on my 4x4) not sure if it will work on a 205 50 17. But anyway - I put the manufacturers recommended 35 psi in the front tires - then took a small carpenters level and a ruler and measured the distance between the ground and the low point on the wheel. Then went to the rear and adjusted the PSI down until the distance was the same. The difference in this distance between front and rear when both had 35 PSI was 3/4 of an inch - I had to take the PSI down to 29 to make them equal - but rounded it off to 30. I found that running 35 PSI in the rear (with no load) would wear out the middle of the tire.

My Acura TL calls for 33 PSI in the front 32 in the rear so not all cars require the same PSI.

You just need to play around a little - try adding a small amount of air and see if you can feel any difference in ride and handling.

I would guess that 95% of drives don't care / can't tell the difference between 32 and 35 PSI - but I sure can -
  • aetiusaetius Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys

Proud owner of a 2006 Mazda3 Sport GT (Indigo Blue) here in Canada. My dream car :-)

I've had it since May 11th this year and also got the Sirius Sat-Radio alongwith the car. Mazda installed it for me.

However, I'd also like to plug an iPod Nano into the car. I know that there is no iPod integration in my car, but I was wondering if anyone knew of ways to work around that issue.

Thanks!!!
  • eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    The reason that I put a "?" In my title is the fact that no matter what is said those folks who do not like Mazda will find fault with this information.

Let me quickly add that I do not own a Mazda 3 or any other Mazda automobile. I own a 2006 Hyundai Sonata,that I like very much.

But since Mazda has been taking such a shellacking in this forum of late, I thought it might be interesting to post the results from the latest (September 2006) Consumer Reports regarding hatchbacks.

They rate the Mazda3 S Grand Touring the number 1 vehicle amongst hatchbacks. There predicted reliability for this vehicle is rated "Very Good"!

The characteristics that they rated "Highs" were, Nimble Handling, Engine and Transmission, and Breaking. The characteristics they rated "Lows" were Road noise, and Instrument Contrast.

There is not a word in this CR report about any of the problems mentioned in this Mazda3 troubles forum.

This post is not a criticism of, or a defense of, neither the Mazda3 or Consumer Reports. I just found it interesting and thought others would too.

My best to you. :)
    IMO, CR doesn't hold much weight, I have rarely ever agreed with them as far as ratings go. When it comes to reliability ratings, I find JD Powers very accurate.
    Unfortunately I can't feel the difference in pressures too much. I know that the ride is quite hard compared to my Jetta.
    So, I pick up my car... and not even 1 mile later, my car STALLED!!!!! I am SO SO SO SO livid. The guy called me yesterday and asked if I would bring it in, again. I told him I would bring it in after I had a week's worth of documentation of how the car was running. He said I could go in a d fill up my car with gas anytime, if I needed to. He said he had given me an oil change at no charge. Then I reminded him that I HAD FREE OIL CHANGES for the first year. What an idiot. I hate hate hate Mazda. I don't know what to do now. It will me my 3rd time taking my car to the dealer. All together, it's been in the shop 16 days. :sick:
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    The characteristics that they rated "Highs" were, Nimble Handling, Engine and Transmission, and Breaking. The characteristics they rated "Lows" were Road noise, and Instrument Contrast

Thanks for the heads-up about the article.

p.s. regarding "Breaking" : I assume that was a Freudian slip and you meant "Braking" ;)
    Not saying that CR ratings are perfect, but I have found their reliability ratings to align closely with the experience that I have had with my cars. I have purchased 11 cars in my life and have never, not once, been asked to participate in a JD Powers survey. CR surveys their readership, so they get well over a million submissions a year vs 60K surveys a year that JD Powers uses..
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Not saying that CR ratings are perfect, but I have found their reliability ratings to align closely with the experience that I have had

Ditto.
  • eagle2aeagle2a Member Posts: 97
    No Freudian slip autonomous, just a very poor speller!!! :sick:

And you are welcome for "The Heads-Up." :)
  • obtubeobtube Member Posts: 5
    I use this on my 3 for my ipod nano - works well and also charges your ipod;
    link title
  • brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    Have you checked out the lemon laws in your state