Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I almost went that route.. How is the music quality of the wireless?

I am still holding out to see what Mazda's recently announced iPod adapter will do. Rumor has it you can use the steering wheel controls (there are several other line-in solutions that do this as well) and the music title, info, etc will show up on the stereo display....

I really want that...
  • forkdoraforkdora Member Posts: 2
    At Crutchfield there is a FM module that plugs into the antenna input in the back of your stereo, which might be your best bet (unless Mazda comes out with the adapter soon. then I want one too!)

Right now I have a Belkin (robot-arm style) FM transmitter that is a pain. I always have to remember to take the antenna off when I am using the ipod, and put it back on if I want to listen to the radio.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I almost went that route.. How is the music quality of the wireless? <<

Quality will always be much worse with a transmitter vs. a direct line in
  • grockpilotgrockpilot Member Posts: 4
    Vehicle: 2006 MAZDA3 S, no pkgs, AT

Well I have to say, this check engine light has become a bother. I'm NOT complaining like its the worst thing ever, but it is different when I'm used to never-failing Toyotas and Hondas. It's just a bother.

So a month ago (7.18.06), my CEL came on and had it checked out ASAP. The problem was my Purge System Valve - causing rough idling. They replaced it. The car no longer huffs and dies when I first start it up. So I was cool with that, it was all under warranty and fixed. Apparently others have this problem too with the purge valve.

Now three days ago (8.16.06), my CEL came back on. My engine didn't really have a rough idle so I assumed it was something else. I dropped the car off today and found out that my LD Pump needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me what this is? It's covered under warranty so it's cool. But yeah, I'm guessing emissions system again? LD PUMP? I looked on google but couldn't find what it does exactly in my car.

Does anyone else have emissions problems or is it just a lemon Mazda? If this a precursor of what's to come (constant repair), should i think about just trading it in while the value is still up there? I mean, the car is paid off...$20,700 w/ extended warranty, but that was a big investment. Am I dumb to try and invest in a new vehicle? KBB said my car is around 12-14k in value.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Just wondering if this is an actual TSB? Somebody posted here a few months back that their dealer had a TSB on that, but I, nor my dealer have heard anything about this.

Is this fact or fiction?
  • outingsincoutingsinc Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone else had their windshield crack for no apparent reason. Mine just cracked in the upper left corner. Made a nice triangle of the corner about 3 inches per side. Anyone else have this problem?

Outingsinc
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Have heard at other Mazda forums where owners are complaining of the windshield chipping or cracking easily. Some even went as far as getting a group buy to have their windshield replaced.
  • allen53flallen53fl Member Posts: 41
    2005 2.3 MZ3S w/sport pkge, AT, 9700 miles. Purchased 11/27/04

No CEL problems, no rattles, no rough idle/shift/stalling problems and no weak AC problems. Still runs GREAT and still absolutely LOVE it!!!

Last March, while having an oil change and tire rotation, asked Delray Mazda to check the brakes because of the common problem of the one-time morning squeal, and if needed, please fix. "Sure, no problem." They replaced pads, etc, (via TSB), with no hassle and not a peep from the brakes since. Shame on any dealer who refuses to verify/fix this problem.

Recently moved to NM from FL (April of this year), and after going thu LA, (I-59), I thought I'd have a lot of rattles because their roads definitely SUCK!!!!!! Nope, 3 still solid as a rock. I wish the gas mileage would've been better though, (got 25-27 mpg), but guess my Mazda didn't like driving 75-80 mph facing strong head-winds the whole way! (Btw, I usually get 27 city/29 highway).

I travel a lot, (gone for long periods), and my car has sat still for as long as three mths and/or 3-4 wks at a time, (garaged), several times a year and it has ALWAYS started up fine, no rough start-ups or idles. Btw, brakes were still quiet even after sitting still for so long.

We have now added a CX-7 to the family, and LOVE it also! In addition to the 3, Mazda has a winner w/this one!

Sorry a 'few' of you have had some problems, but I wonder WHY you put up w/the stress. Trade the damn thing in and be done w/it!!!! Life is way way too short to be complaining so mu.....(oh nevermind!). BTW, I am so glad that Edmunds put up a separate A/C problems board, THANK YOU Edmunds!!!!

I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with our Mazda's and also with the service we have received from Mazda. (Rating = AAA)

Happy Motoring,

Allen
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Glad to hear you had good LUCK with your Mazda3 - there are some good ones no doubt about it. But buying a new car should not require good luck. If it has defects the company should fix them - that is the way I see it anyway. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS? I am pretty stubborn - or maybe its just persistence.

Although - I understand your point about just dumping a car that has problems - many people just don't have the backbone to deal with these situations and they would rather just let Mazda (or whoever) take advantage of this weakness - some just never learned how - or are for some reason to afraid to stand up for themselves. But I admit I even considered taking the easy way out a few times - I mean my car had just about every defect!

I had 5 vehicles at the time (now down to 3) - so although it was a hassle taking it into the dealer all the time - at least I had other transportation. If I would have been in a position that I really needed a reliable car then I would not have had much choice. I suspect some owners take the just dump it route because they really need a reliable car.

I did finally get all of the defects corrected - except for the weak AC - but even it is somewhat better.
  • zoomgirlzoomgirl Member Posts: 13
    suffering through the same problem here. got my mazda3 end of arpil 2006, and not even 2 months later, it stalls. usually happends when the traffic light turns green and im going from brake to accelerator. unfortunately, it happends randomly. no warnings like CEL, just the motor seems to lose power seconds before it shuts off...that's when all the components on my dash go on. one time i actually beat the stall by slamming on the gas when the light turned green...so the car just jump started/jolted itself away from turning off. real safe!?!

went to the dealer 3 times. they said that the car's computer did not have any codes, but that it is an internal problem. i asked them at one time if it was common and the tech answered me that they usually fix the problem. so far, they've changes valves, trottle body, different parts, claiming they finally found the problem. but i stalled just this week again. has anyone found a solution to the problem? i was thinking of getting in touch with mazda canada, but by the sound of previous posts, that might not help at all. what can i do...especially considering that the car doesnt even have 5000 km on it and isnt even a yr old? :sick:
    Bill,

Thanks for your civil response, it's appreciated.

But I don't look at this as "not enough backbone and/or taking the easy way out". I don't like stress, and if the car quality &/or service is creating stress, so long and good-bye! (3 skrikes and you are out!). And if it involves a safety issue that can't be resolved ASAP, it's out the door even faster!

Btw, I've only had ONE occurance where I had to deal w/this problem in my life. An Olds Intrique, bought off the show room floor, loaded. First a clunking noise whenever I turned, was a strut they replaced it. Resolved. Then the next problem was whenever I applied the brakes, I could feel my pants hitting my leg because the vibration was so bad, (warped rotor's). The dealer said, "Oh, that's just the ABS." HUH? Sorry, but ABS doesn't kick in on 'normal' stops. They said, "working as designed". Not resolved. Then the big one: The cruise control would not disengage when the brake pedal was applied. Pretty scary when going 75, (was the speed limit), and you hear the engine moaning while you are pressing the brake! Almost in panic mode, until I could locate and manually shut the system down. Took it in to the dealer, and they said, "Working as designed, found no problem." I tried it on the way home, it didn't shut down, so I never used the cruise control again. Not resolved. I traded it in w/less than 12k for a Toyota 4-Runner Ltd. The Toyota dealer said, "Damn! This car still smells new!" Didn't care. It was not worth the stress. Of course, I could've kept taking it back to the Olds dealer, but they were worthless, so why waste my time? (and I didn't have a lot of time back then, was working 70+ hrs a week...guess that OT paid off, I retired at the tail-end of 46!

Over the last 20 years, our household has owned Ford, Jeep, Chrysler and Oldsmobile products, and ALL of them have required numerous warranty/repair work. Since 1996, we have had several Toyota's (3), Nissan's (2), a Honda(1), and Mazda's(3, now own 2), all with NO warranty work or repairs, {oh-oh, I take that back, the Mazda3 had the TSB brake work done, but that was a minor repair, w/no hassle AND it was resolved!). And so far, our Mazda's are our favorite and fun to drive auto's we have ever owned.

Guess you are stubborn and/or hard-headed, (your poor wife!). but I suppose it has it's good points...starting getting way too OT here. More power to you then I guess. Glad you have your Mazda issues pretty much resolved. Time now to trade up to an '07 MZ3 or maybe a CX-7, so you can start the whole cycle over again! Calm down! Just kidding!

It just seems like the AC issue was beat to death here, and according to you and a few others, Mazda was going to hell in a hand basket. And I just don't agree, that's all.

Sorry for the long ramble, but 3-4 days of rain and flood warnings here in NM, thanks to John, am starting to get cabin fever, (and maybe too much coffee?!).

Allen
    Sorry a 'few' of you have had some problems, but I wonder WHY you put up w/the stress. Trade the damn thing in and be done w/it!!!! Life is way way too short to be complaining so mu.....(oh nevermind!). BTW, I am so glad that Edmunds put up a separate A/C problems board, THANK YOU Edmunds!!!!

Sorry, to the "few" people like you who can't grasp the fact that it's more than a "few" of us who are having problems. Not everyone knows or posts on Edmunds which also doesn't mean people don't exist who have Mazda3 problems or issues. If money was NOT an issue, believe me, people would be trading in their car for something else. For most of us working class who have spent a lot on our cars don't have that luxury as you "few" to lose out even more financially by trading in their cars. In fact, many have problably traded in their cars for a Mazda3 hoping it would be very reliable and relatively problem free especially with the basics such as A/C and the car not stalling or dieing (safety issue).

We believe forums like Edmunds are in place so others who have similar issues can vent and make others aware of the problems. Perhaps it's naive but we still hope that the issues will be addressed by Mazda at some point. For those who don't have problems and want to dismiss our issues as only affecting a few, please don't read our posts as your comments are not helpful.
    Somebody posted here a few months back that Mazda USA had a fix for the stalling issue which was a PCM (computer update). Since no dealer has been able to verify this, up to last week, I now consider it false information by the poster.

There is NO fix for the [common] stalling for the Mazda3 stalling and it doesn't look like there will be any time soon (unless the 3 dies while driving on a bridge and you get rear-ended and then somebody sues].
    ex_tdier,

If I had a safety issue that was not getting resolved, come hell or high water the car would be GONE. Period. Whether I could afford it or not. Not having money is not the issue or should be used as an excuse. My LIFE is worth any financial hardships. Period. I would find a way. Anyway to get rid of it ASAP.

I am NOT going to get into a flame war w/you. I was mainly commenting of how the AC issue was beaten to death by you guys and also you beating up Mazda so much, and I was over it.

Guess I am just a LUCKY guy w/no Mazda car problems, but I trust there are MANY more like me and I think my comments are helpful. Guess I can't vent for the 'other' side, eh??? Well, I suppose you don't have to read my posts either. Too bad Edmund's doesn't have an IGNORE feature.

You've made some good points in your post and I think I made some good points in mine. But I now consider the subject closed. The Host w/b spraying fire retardent on us pretty soon, so we better stop while we are ahead.

Allen
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I have not had any issues with my 06 Mazda 3i Touring. No A/C issues, no stalling, no nothing..

I have three other co-workers that own Mazda 3's of various years and models, and none of them have the A/C or the stalling issues.

I am not saying that there are not folks who have these problems, but I think they are the minority, not the majority. The fact is that sales of the Mazda 3 have been steadily increasing year after year, nearly every automotive resource (including Edmunds) awards the Mazda 3 as the top compact sedan, and nearly every review is favorable. There are hundreds and hundreds of user reviews posted at Edmunds, Yahoo, and MSN and the majority (over 90%) of the reviews do not mention any issues at all and rank the Mazda 3 with the highest marks.

I agree with allen53fl, if you have a Mazda 3 with crappy A/C, is constantly stalling, and Mazda cannot fix it, sell it. The 3 has great resale value right now with gas prices hovering at or near record prices. I had a lemon VW Jetta a few years back that I made money on after I could not longer stand the reliability issues...
  • brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    If its a lease - demand they take it back - tell them your life is in danger. I fought with Mazda and Mazda Canada for a year and half before they bought my car back. Mazda Canada was the worst. They were insulting and rude to me. If they don't take it back - go to court. Keep a log of everything. Write Mazda Canada a letter - keep a copy of it. Mazda Canada is aware of the problem - HOWEVER, they have no idea to fix it. Threaten to post your complaint on the internet or even to your local paper. Join Car help Canada - for additional help in court.
    Don't give up - keep fighting - there are many out there with the same problem - eventually, Mazda is going to have to find a way to resolve it.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    went to the dealer 3 times. they said that the car's computer did not have any codes, but that it is an internal problem. i asked them at one time if it was common and the tech answered me that they usually fix the problem. so far, they've changes valves, trottle body, different parts, claiming they finally found the problem. but i stalled just this week again. has anyone found a solution to the problem? i was thinking of getting in touch with mazda canada, but by the sound of previous posts, that might not help at all. what can i do...especially considering that the car doesnt even have 5000 km on it and isnt even a yr old?

It sounds like the dealer has invested a lot of time and money trying to fix the problem but unfortunately for you has not solved it. Have you tried another dealership in case they have more experienced technicians who can come up with the magic bullet? Also, I don't think it would hurt if you contacted Mazda Canada. You may want to propose that if they cannot solve the problem immediately they either buy back your car or replace it with another copy of your model or some other compromise. As others have mentioned here, log the details of your problem including your time spent without a vehicle and going to the dealership for servicing. Personally, I have had excellent service from my Mazda dealership.
    thx for the advice. i am trying to stick to the original dealer where i purchased the car bacause the car is still under 4500km. this same dealership is known to be the "Giant" of mazda dealerships in the province (Albi mazda, to all those who live in the montreal and surrounding areas). i have found a "defective recreational vehicule" complaint form from a provincial consumer protection website, and if i dont get any answers, i'll be sending away to mazda canada. one thing's for sure, i do not want to get shoved in the pile of numerous complaints about the exact same problem. and the contract has been signed and im due to pay for the next 6 yrs...so now i need to go consult a lawyer o see if i can get another car or have the repair done. word has it that mazda knows exactly what the problem is, it's just not cost efficient for them to fix it, so they keep wasting our time and hoping no one gets hurt in the process. im not knocking mazda, but something should be done in regards to the few lemons out there, especially since it only was on the road for less than 2 months before it started acting up.
    i am trying to stick to the original dealer where i purchased the car bacause the car is still under 4500km. this same dealership is known to be the "Giant" of mazda dealerships in the province
    Hmmm, being the largest does not necessarily make them better than another dealership.

so now i need to go consult a lawyer o see if i can get another car or have the repair done
    Going the legal route may be costly but then again maybe you'll get faster results. Another alternative is to go to a consumer protection group like the Automobile Protection Association (apa.ca) which offers free legal services as part of the C$75 membership.
    My experience with early morning break squeal being fixed by Mazda was 0-zero. After 500KM it started doing it every morning. I know there is a TSB so I phoned Mazda Canada and they told me the TSB was for only for cars sold in the U.S. and does not apply to cars sold here in Canada. Whats the diff? My weak A/C was checked by the dealer, all they did was check the vent temp and said it was, (of course) within specs. I found out later that the procedure was to also check the gas pressure but it was never done. Bottom line dealers do not like to do warranty work, doesn't pay them as much as out of warranty work.
    Allen...not here to slam Mazda which you seem to think some here are doing just here to post my experience.
    The best way to determine how good a company is at providing service (including warranty work) after the sale is by asking someone who has had problems.

Rate Mazda based on what they have done to solve some of the specific issues that people have - and they get a very low score. How are they doing solving the stalling problem? What about cars with weak AC? Has anyone with these MAJOR defects had their car fixed? Simple answer is no.

I am tired of reading the lame excuse that the MAJORITY of Mazda3's don't have these problems - always posted by someone who has been LUCKY enough to get a car that does not have a defect. Would they be singing a different tune about how great Mazda is if they had a car that stalled - or an AC that did not cool? Would they still say - Mazda did not fix the defects in my car - but they are still a good company - because only a small % of the cars have the problem - and consumer reports rates them high! What good is a high CR rating if the defects in my car do not get fixed?

I do not care what consumer reports says - I have actual experience with Mazda - and they have a very low service level.
  • kennyf1130kennyf1130 Member Posts: 15
    Wasn't there another thread created just for the people with weak A/C's? I don't think there's a need to keep going over and over it with the same people. The fact is that a MINORITY of owners have problems, and that's to be expected, I think to assume that all cars will have no MAJOR defect is pretty naive. Instead of rehashing it over and over again, maybe those owners should consider legal actions. You can ask someone who's had a problem, and someone who's never had one, and the truth will lie somewhere in between.
  • retailroyretailroy Member Posts: 8
    The whole point of his thread went right over your head. It is not about the specific problem but the lack of care by Mazda. I owned a 3 and had the same problems and got the same run around. On two CSI reports I gave the dealers a positive rating but in the extra information column I voiced my specific complaints with corporate Mazda and got zero response from Mazda. It is easy to chastise others when they have had problems that you have not experienced, but you better pray to God you don't, because I can assure you that the response from Mazda will be nill. The reputation of any company is in large part determined by how they take care of their customers. I have owned eight Mazdas and still own a Miata but it will be a long time before I buy another new one.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I am tired of reading the lame excuse that the MAJORITY of Mazda3's don't have these problems - always posted by someone who has been LUCKY enough to get a car that does not have a defect

here we go again....

I'm tired of reading about people who ignore the facts that show the Mazda3 is a very good car and one of the best in class. This has been backed up by pro consumer magazines with factual real world data. Perhaps you were lucky enough to get a bum car, but it doesn't wipe out the fact that the overwhelming number of 3 owners are thrilled with their car and would highly recommend the car to friends and relatives...If the car wasnt a great car the the bad press and bad word of mouth would kibosh the sales. But sales continue to increase and demand continues to be very strong even after being out on the market for a while.

the bad word of mouth and press would have kiboshed the sales...
    How many buyers do any research before buying? Some see a car, see what they like, and buy it. It's all about styling and nothing else and thats where the M3 falls into. I think, I could be wrong, if every potential buyer of the M3 was to read this thread than maybe sales might be lower?
    I have been following the Camry thread here and from what I have read I would stay away from the car until Toyota fixes some of their serious issues that owners are voicing. This thread is about problems and solutions not how great the car or Mazda has been for those that do not have an issue. If and when you have a problem just keep in mind what you have read here about the service and support that we have had from Mazda, specially if the work involves a warranty issue.
  • kaylagunskaylaguns Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2005 Mazda 3 last year. Since that day I have had nothing but problems. It has been in the shop several times but the dealership kept insisting that nothing was wrong with the car.Well in July,06 I was driving about 10 mph when the power went out on my car.The steering & brakes locked. I ran into the curb & the only damage was the rim & the alignment. I drove the car home that night & was at a red light & once it turned green I started to drive & the power went out again. The next day we dropped the car off to Mazda & on Fri. they called & said they drove it 9 miles & nothing had happened so they said to come pick it up. Well when I went to pay for the car I made a complaint to the cashier & she then called the manager. We went into his office & I explained the problem & that I had to pick my child up the next day from LAX that had just been diagnosed with a heart problem & that I did not need this happening. He then said "if you were my wife I would not put you back in this vehicle" & got me into a rental for the weekend. Then on Mon. he called me & said he personally drove the vehicle & that he just doesn't know what is wrong. Well on Aug 22, 2006 I was driving to work & first thing that happened is I turned on the wipers & the rt wiper flew off my car(note I had them change the blades) so the rest of the way to work I could barely see. After work my boss came out and said the wiper was broken. Well about 2 mins later I was driving about 35 mph when the power went out on my car. I once again had locked brakes & no steering, I had NO CONTROL of this car & all I could see was cement manhole that we have on base & all I did was hold on tight knowing I was going to hit it & the next thing I know I hear someone asking me if I was ok. Well when I opened my eyes I realized that I was upside down. And not only that NONE of the airbags deployed so I hit my head on the drivers window & broke it. I was taken to the hospital. The seat belt saved my life.
  • kaylagunskaylaguns Member Posts: 2
    Look at my problem that almost cost me my life on 8/33/06 the number is 3638
    On the flip side, JD Powers does NOT rate the Mazda3 as being reliable. I dunno about the rest of you CR advocates, but Mazda sent me a JD Powers survey, not a CR survey. Take this fact for what it is and draw your own conclusions.
  • kennyf1130kennyf1130 Member Posts: 15
    The last post on the Defective A/C thread was on 08/07/2006, but yet here we are again having to hear about the defective AC. I think you're looking at it incorrectly into assuming you're "lucky" if you get one that doesn't have a defect, but that you got one of the "unlucky" ones. Can you tell us what legal actions you have taken besides reposting on Edmunds? And to answer your question, if I were to go by what's being posted here on Edmunds, it seems that 5% out of all the posters might have an A/C problem, but with the amount of reposts counted about the same issue, it'd be closer to 50%. :sick:
    If you get a problem car Mazda will do little about it.
    Please prove me wrong (or admit you are wrong)

Spend a day in our shop and you will be proved wrong. If mazda won't do anything about problems then why do I have cars in for warranty work that leave fixed?

If mazda didn't stand behind their cars their sales would drop to zero...instead mazda sales remain positive in a flat/declining market...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think I've posted advisories a number of times in this topic about not beating one subject to death by repetitive posting by one complaintant--such as the AC issue. This tends to weary people who participate in the discussion. Edmunds is a place to trade ideas and suggestions--it's not meant to serve as NHTSA's complaint station or the District Attorney's Office.

Try to avoid any kind of "brand-bashing"...we'd like to use this topic (and all your valuable time) to actually make progress solving people's issues and answering their questions when possible.

Brand-bashing posts, repetitive rants, etc., will regrettably be deleted on sight.

thanks!

MrShiftright
    Host
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    Does anyone have a good product and or trick to get the inside of the windshield clean. I tried some Windex last night, and I now have streaks and fogging issues.
    Well at another forum a A/C poll was started and about 400 responded and over 52% said their A/C was weak. Even some with a 2006 model year..end of discussion
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    What forum are you talking about. Please let us all know, as heresay does not mean end of discussion!

The Sandman :confuse:
    considering that mazda does keep advertisement on this forum (as i can see on the left side here), do you think they look into what people are writing? i know P.R has nothing to do with mechanics/ingineering but is there someone in "oh-mighty mazdaland" that actually keeps tabs on what mazda clients are saying, and at least tries to do something to look up the issues mentionned? :lemon:

my own mazda motto : "it all comes back to zoom zoom stall"
  • uglybeanuglybean Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if I can put an O.E 17 inch wheels from a 2005 Mazda3 onto my 2006 Mazda3i sedan? I currently have the stock 15" wheels. Is there anything special I would need to install the tires? I'm thinking about buying a set from someone. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
    Well nifty the all mighty has spoken...explain to me the scientific basis for your poll? Also can you confirm that all the voters are actual mazda3 owners?

Otherwise I'll stick with real world factual mazda warranty claims for accurate information concerning problems associated with any mazda vehicle.
    Does anyone know if I can put an O.E 17 inch wheels from a 2005 Mazda3 onto my 2006 Mazda3i sedan?
    17 inches likely will fit but I would check the user manual for Mazda's recommendation. If you can, try mounting one before you purchase them just to make sure. You need to make sure the brakes for example have enough room and that your front tires can turn properly.
    Still waiting to hear about that "other forum" you were quoting...been about 3 days now and no answer. I'm pretty patient and can wait, so when you get a moment, please shoot me the info on that "other forum" so I can read it.

Waiting in South Florida, I Remain....

This is off topic but I think it is what you wanted.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=53106.930

kenny - legal action BESIDES posting on Edmunds? Not sure posting on Edmunds is considered legal action. I made the decision a long time ago - it is not worth the effort / time / trouble / stress / money to take legal action because of a defective car. Some think all you need to do is get a lawyer and Mazda will just give you your money back under the lemon law. Some have even posted you don't even need a lawyer.

That may even be true in some places - but not worth it to me.

The question is - if you need to take legal action against a company to get them to fix defects then how would you rate them in providing service after the sale?

Its hard for me to see anyone saying - I sued them and WON - and they had to fix my defective car. They sure do go the extra mile to keep their customers happy! I would rate their service a 10 out of 10!

My opinion is - Mazda will eventually get around to fixing the stalling problem - and I need to give them some credit here - they did (after almost 2 years) fix most of my issues. You can take that as a positive - way to go Mazda!

I look at it a little different.

I told Mazda (dealership & corporate customer servicve) that my car had several problems. In the first couple months of ownership I had already had - brakes making a loud grinding noise, a suspension than made a loud THUMP on every small bump, a tranny that shifted very harsh plus "other" issues. I was told they were all NORMAL and that they were not considered a problem. Then one by one Mazda issued a TSB that was EXACTLY on target to my problem. So when a TSB came out I would go into the dealership - show them the TSB and have my car fixed.

Does this rate as GREAT customer service. Not in my book it doesn't.
    yes this is the forum, I wasn't sure if it could be posted here as Edmunds is a bit fussy about posting other sites.
    thanks bill
    ps...I didn't start the poll
    sandman did you check out the Mazda forum? comments?
    That's all I seem to get. Have been on that site before with no problems. Weird!

One thing, the carpet under the drivers mat in the wife's 3s is coming apart with alot of white stuff coming from under the cheap carpet. Is this something that should be addressed with Mazda as a warranty issue...and has anyone else had this same problem?
    TIA all.
  • etacketack Member Posts: 22
    I have a '05 Mazda3i with 15k miles on it. Today, it did not immediately turn over. I tried again and it did, but the engine light is on (steady, not blinking). My problem is that the nearest dealer is 70 miles or so away, and to go there will require a day off, etc. Should I bring it to my mechanic before deciding whether or not to go to the dealer? (I don't mind spending a reasonable amount of money to do this, to spare me the inconvenience of the dealer.) Will the code still be there in case I eventually go to the dealer, or will this give the dealer an excuse not to cover me because another mechanic interfered? Is it possible that the engine light is on for some stupid reason - or do all of these episodes really need dealer attention?

Also, I should mention that this may be oil change related. After the last two oil changes, I have found big oil spots on my driveway. The first time I thought it was because I did it at a quickie change, and I took it back to them. They denied any leaking and showed me under the hood. The second place was a reputable mechanic near my work, but still I have oil spots. I don't remember the first oil changes giving me this problem, but maybe I didn't notice.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
    During the warranty period I prefer using the Mazda-certified services for repairs. However, if you're only seeking an inspection/diagnosis and no repair is performed, then I don't see the harm in using an independent. It could be costly, however, to have a local mechanic diagnose it, find a problem and then you have to have it fixed at the dealership (which likely would have to inspect and diagnose the problem all over again).

Once the warranty period expires, you can choose which expert (Mazda-certified or not) you want handling your car.

TIP: The gas cap can trigger an Engine Light; make sure to tighten it after every fillup.
  • etacketack Member Posts: 22
    UPDATE: I took it to my (non-Mazda) mechanic. He found three error codes: U0121, U0155, U0100. He said they say about the same thing, which is that at some point the car lost contact with the computer. This is more of a symptom than the cause of the problem, though. Given the brief problem I had turning the car on, he checked the connection to the battery and the wires. No problems noted. If it happens again in the near future, he will check the data again at no charge. He also said the problem is unrelated to the oil change. That, he said, could be that when the oil is drained, it is pooling somewhere in the car. It is not from overfilling. This makes some sense because I don't notice the oil spots at work, only at home, and my driveway is on a hill.

Thanks to autonomous for your helpful reply. I appreciate it.
  • ykorzenykorzen Member Posts: 1
    I have a Mazada 3 comfort sedan 2006 when you sit in the car or move it up and down it makes a creeking nose like on old car. Doses any body have simular problem
    If you check your error codes in an OBD II table (see http://www.obdii.com/codes.html) you may be able to get some more insight into the problem area.

For the codes U0100; U0121 ; U0155
    U=Network; 0=SAE; 1=Fuel and metering; XX=specific fault

U0100 = Lost Communication With ECM/PCM "A"
    U0121 = Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module
    U0155 = Lost Communication With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module

Source: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/obd-ii-u-network-codes.php
    Stopped at Mazda this afternoon & they've agreed to replace the carpets in the car, as they've torn under the drivers mat. They'll also give us a rental as it'll take a good day they said. Whoohoo for Mazda!!
    Also saw some of the new '07's and love the new alloys...very sharp. I saw a few 3iTouring Sedans & 3s Touring sedans. Do these replace the base i & s? They also changed the Titanium to Galaxy Grey like my Civic, but Mazdas grey is really dark grey, unlike the greenish gray of the Civic. Nice cars though.

The Sandman :)