Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Mazda ... agreed to replace the carpets ... torn under the drivers mat. They'll also give us a rental ... Whoohoo for Mazda!!
    Excellent!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    and just think....somebody on here would have us believe that mazda doesn't stand behind their cars.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We're very satisfied with the 3s and our dealership actually. We have the Toyo Proxes A05 on the car and the fronts already are showing the wear bars at 21.5k miles. We did have to replace 1 due to a nail puncture in the sidewall within the 1st month. I inquired about new sneakers while at the dealership yesterday and their prices were very comparable to my regular tire place.
    Audia8q, 2 questions for you. The wife wants the same tires...I think she's nuts...and the dealership doesn't offer them. Is this unusual? And also, have you heard anything good or bad about the Goodyear LS tires? Tirerack gave them an o k recommendation. I really want her to have a touring tire with great wet traction, and I'd like to buy from the dealership. Any help would be appreciated from you.

The Sandman :)
  • sunlitesilversunlitesilver Member Posts: 2
    Take a look at the Avon TECH M550 they are reasonably priced and reviews are good.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    My 3 is my fourth Mazda, and I find their vehicles to be very reliable and the dealership to offer better than average service. Obviously the level of service you receive depends on the individual dealership but that is true of Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc.

What I have found in my experience is that if you treat the car dealership service department employees how you would like to be treated (you know, a smile, some patience, and being overall polite) they will go above and beyond. Based on some of the posts I read on message boards like these I am not surprised that dealerships give some people the run around. Not saying it is right, but it is human nature. If you treat someone with kindness and respect (unless they really do not deserve it) you may find that people will actually go out of their way to help you...

I will get off my soap box now. But I put myself through college working in the service industry, and I can tell you that being a rude obnoxious jerk will get you nowhere...
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Any update on what Mazda is doing to solve the stalling problem? This has been a problem now - for almost 3 years!

Or do you consider helping to pushing a stalled car off the road to be STANDING BEHIND IT? :sick:
    what stalling problem?
  • zoomgirlzoomgirl Member Posts: 13
    update: just got my 3 back from the dealer after a week of them searching and testing and they said they still didnt find any codes, any problems with the parts, or any replicas of the stalling during 275km of test driving my car. they gave me my first inspection/oil change though, and found that the mass air flow tube was not connected properly (that's what they are going on now as a probability to the stalling). weird that they didnt check it before. they even opened a file at mazda canada for me, if the problem is still there. i think i got the "extra mile" cause i showed up to the dealer and started saying that im registered on a bunch of forums and what ppl tried for the same problem. so i guess now they start taking me a little more seriously. they even gave me a brand new CX-7 as courtasy car (free) for all my troubles. but fact remains that im still crossing my fingers that the air flow connection was it, and i dont have to go back to the dealer yet again! :confuse:
    "what stalling problem?"

Typical Mazda response - you have been trained well!

Type - stalling - into the search box on this page and see what comes up.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    I can't get Mazda to replace my skreeching morning brake noise at 500km so I have no hope of them replacing my carpets if they were wearing out. Same for my rusting 17" rims, which has not seen a ounce of winter salt, never winter driven and is always garaged.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Since your rims are ALUMINUM alloys, I kinda doubt they are rusting.

The rust flecks you are seeing are probably from the brake rotors, which are steel. Normally, cars are driven enough on a routine basis that rust has little chance to develope on the rotors. However, if a car is NOT driven very much (or very very infrequently) rust will develop. Regardless of whether it is driven in the rain, winter salt, or garaged.

Is it possible the skreeching morning brake noise is related to the rusting from your brake rotors? Perhaps something is dragging on the rotors (causing the screech) and this dragging is showering the rims with tiny bits of steel brake rotor shavings, which then rusts?
    A few people on a website with a minor fix able problem doesn't constitute a habitual or major problem. otoh I save my sarcastic responses just for you.
    Your right about rusting, I did not explain it properly. I am getting flaking and bubbling, this has nothing to do with brake dust, specks . My car is washed weekly by hand including the rims. At a few other Mazda forums owners are having the same problem. There is a TSB for a fix for the brakes but does not include Canada sold cars, only the U.S. This is what Mazda North America tells me. What part of North America is Canada a part of? Also the car is driven daily, every morning its the same noise. Why are the rear rims so dirty with brake dust only after a few days of driving? while the fronts still look clean? It is the same with every Mazda3. Rotors made with low grade metal? soft pads? :(
    From your posts I gather your car is an 2005 Mazda3 somewhere in Canada and that it's experiencing some rust.

How many kilometres does your car have?
    Where is the rust appearing?
    When did it start appearing?
    Do you keep your car in an indoor garage or outside?
    Do you use rust proofing?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Why are the rear rims so dirty with brake dust only after a few days of driving?"

All right, now I'm really confused.

Are we talking about RUST on the rims or flaking/bubbling? That sounds like a problem with the clearcoat finish on the rims.

The only reason for the rear rims to be dirty from brake dust would be if the brakes are dragging. When braking under normal conditions, most of the work is done by the FRONT brakes. Typically, when problems crop up, it is on the FRONT brakes since they do most of the work. Since you aren't seeing buildup of brake dust on the front brakes, I suspect you've got something dragging on the rear.

Is it possible that your parking brake is not completely disengaging and that it is dragging?
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2006 Mazda 3i that I bought new in the beginning of July. So far I have had no issues, including no problems with the a/c. However, just over a week ago, I started hearing an occasional vibration/rattle coming from the dashboard. It sometimes happens when I drive over rough concrete roads and during certain engine speeds. I don't hear the vibration on rough, bumpy roads, and not even during high rpms. It usually happens when I let off the gas while in gear. It sounds like its coming from somewhere in front of me, like behind the instrument panel, though at times it sounds like its coming from the radio, or just below the instrument panel to the right of the steering wheel. Whenever I try to make the vibration happen, it doesn't occur, so it's tough for me to listen specifically to figure out where the vibration is coming from. It doesn't occur when I rev the engine with the car standing still. Anyone here ever have something similar happen?
    Do you own a M3? because the rear brake dust appears on every M3 I have seen, often a complaint by many owners. Nothing to do with the brakes dragging. If it is than we all have a problem not just me. I agree that the fronts are to do most of the work and if you see the front rims of most if not every car, except Mazda you will see the rims dirty and the rears clean..as for the rims I have a brownish stain and bubbling at the center hub..
    25,000KM or 15,600 miles
    at the center hubs
    appeared the middle of this summer
    Car is always garaged
    Car is not rust proofed.
    It's a 2005 and I am from Canada
    not sure if I am allowed but here is a link to a Mazda 3 forum. also google Mazda 3 rusty rims and see what you get.
    http://mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=42873.120
    the link will take you to page 5, go to page 1 and see the photos
  • iwantacar1iwantacar1 Member Posts: 17
    Hello, every one:

I was supposed to get a brand new 2007 Mazda3 ST Hatch. But when I test drove the car today, the steering wheel did not keep straight and the car shifted towards left side. SO they took the car to the service and told me the tire pressure was off so they balanced it. I signed the paper and testdrove it again, the car still shifted slightly towards left. What should I do now? They have the car now and will check it on Monday and I should pick it up on Monday. My question is what if the problem still exists? SHould I ask for another car or what? They got this car for me from 100 miles away and I wonder why they did not find the problem when they drove on highway over here. :mad: Or maybe I am too sensitive to the shift? Thanks a lot for your input and suggestions!
  • everfebeverfeb Member Posts: 115
    I thought maybe my 17" rims were bubbling up around the centre cap BECAUSE I used them in winter (sand/salt) and even though I tried very hard to keep them clean and washed up in winter I assumed I maybe wasn't doing a very good job of it. But NIFTY56 if you don't even use yours in the winter then it must be something else. Aren't some 3 owners in T.O. getting wheels replaced, free????
    Anyone else who doesn't use their 17"OEM rims in the winter or who live in a warmer climate year round having this bubbling problem???

NIFTY...what's your screeching brake problem? I'm getting my rears done (new pads I think) under warrantee in a week or so. I have that awful moaning groaning grinding sound from the rear when braking in reverse. It's very loud and very embarrasing.

I'm in Canada by the way.

everfeb
  • malakmalak Member Posts: 4
    I have an 07 M3 sedan and it runs straight for a lot longer than I expected it to. If it was me, I'd hold out for a different car or being convinced that the first one was fixed.
  • iwantacar1iwantacar1 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks! my frustration is why they did not find the problem when they drove the car back 110 miles away from here. (aobut 2 hr highway) :mad. If I am not satisfied with the car, can I ask for the deposit back and ask them to look for a new car?
  • sal1961sal1961 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have my Mazda 3 for about 1 year and found it very dangerous to drive in the snow last year. Otherwise I love it. I owned an Elantra before and found it better. Did anyone get snow tires?...and if so did you notice a big improvement. Some people tell me that its torque to weight ratio is high and it slips easily - do winter tires overcome it? I am thinking of going on Ebay or something else to get a set of winter tires. Thanks. :confuse:
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I Highly Recommend Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. I tried a cheaper set and switched midway through the winter last year. Those Dunlops are STICKY in a good way. I would also recommend going down to a winter size (minus 1) to 205/55-16. I would do steel rims if you are in an area that salts, my oem rims got bubble rust after only a few months. IMHO, the Mazda 3 is unsafe when driven in winter conditions with the stock Goodyears. Tirerack is the best and the cheapest, Ebay looks good until you have to pay for shipping. The rack mounts for free, and shipping is affordable. W/ the Dunlops there is a night and day difference in winter handling.
    Our new front carpeting is due in any day now. Last year we had the rear brake grinding, groaning & severe brake dust. Replaced the back pads or something, problem never returned.
    So far, Mazda has done great by us. We're quite happy with the car & the dealership. Our a/c is cold in South Florida, but it does struggle a bit because of all the black interior. Once they get rid of all that black, I think 90% of all the a/c problems would disappear folks.
    Mazda rocks...zoom zoom!

The Sandman :)
  • kennyf1130kennyf1130 Member Posts: 15
    Sandman, where in FL are you located? I am in the market for an 07 Grand Touring, and didn't know if you had better experiences at certain dealerships.
  • glennbfglennbf Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2004 hatch with the same type of problem. Over most types of bumps there is knocking and rattling from under the car. It seems to be towards the rear, but at times I think I also hear it in front. This spring the dealer replaced bad rear brake springs. We were noise free most of the summer. Since August, it is back and getting worse. It is back with the dealer and I am not pleased with their attitude. I had previously had a local garage look at it. They clearly heard the same noise but could not find the cause. Unless I have missed it, I have not seen feedback on what might be causing this problem.
    We're located in Coral Springs Florida and bought at the dealership across the street on US 441, Bachrodt Mazda. So far, they've treated us like gold and have been very attentive to all our needs. I give them a 110%! Our 3s is a great little pocket rocket and I think we own 2 of the best economy cars sold in America...the '05 Mazda 3s and the '06 Civic LX sedan.

The Sandman :):)
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    I have had the Sirius radio tuner installed in my car for several months without any problems...however, for the past two days, my radio display just blinks "updating" while on the SAT mode. Does anyone know an easy fix to this?...Sirius referred me to Mazda, but I'm having difficulty reaching them because of their customer services hours and my work schedule. Should this be a Mazda or Sanyo support issue?? Thanks!
  • hucklehuckle Member Posts: 2
    The local Mazda sales guy couldn't tell me--does the 2.3L in the Mazda3 have a timing chain or a timing belt? What's the maintenance interval, and typical cost? My 2003 CR-V required no maintenance other than fluids and tire rotations for the first 100,000 miles. How does the 3 compare to that? Thanks.
  • glennbfglennbf Member Posts: 2
    Update. In my case, it was a brake problem again. In addition to replacing the rear pads, they replaced more brake hardware (appears to include replacing at least the bracket that holds the pad; previously replaced the rear brake springs). The noise is gone (loud rattling when going over any bump). The also made an adjustment to the passenger side front window which developed a rattle when open an inch or two.
  • mechworkermechworker Member Posts: 1
    Hey all!

I'm hoping someone here can help me out with a problem. Yesterday I was driving to work, and the display on my 2006 Mazda 3 GT was working fine. It showed the CD track, volume, milage, etc.

However, on my way home, the display didn't show anything. This morning was the same. I can't see anything on it, there's no light (I drive to work before the sun rises) on the panel, and I can't see to adjust the bass, trebel, etc.

Did I inadvertantly turn the display off somehow, or is something wrong? Everything else seems to be working fine...

Thanks for any help!

Mechworker
  • wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 25
    I have an '05 Mazda 3 GT and my wife has an '05 Mazda 3 Sport. We live in Canada and have to drive in typical Canadian winters. The problems with the Goodyear tires that came with our cars have been well documented in these forums. Basically the tires are useless in snow.

I bought steel rims and Bridgstone smow tires for my wife's car last winter, and those tires make a significant difference in winter driving. I gutted it out last winter but driving in winter with the Goodyears is waaaay too dangerous, so I will deal with the expense and buy rims and winter tires for my car, this year.

Having said that, I've had other problems with my Goodyears. Shortly after picking up my new '3, I noted the car was pulling to the right. Being brand new at the time, I brought my car back to the dealer and they did a wheel alinment which seemed to help.

Months later, I started to notice the car pulling to the right again. Back to the dealer and this time they found a nail in the right tire. It was repaired and the pulling went away.

Some more time passed, and yet again, I noticed the car pulling to the right. Once again, back to the dealer and, would you believe, I had another nail in the right tire ??.

Now I was getting regular tire rotations at the various service times so I can't say it was the same tire. In any case, it was repaired.

Yet more time passed and the car started pulling to the right again. I brought it back to he dealer today for it's 32km Service. The dealer has told me they could perform another wheel alignment now but since I'm planning on getting winter tires I should hold off until then to get the alignment.

I'm ok with that I guess, but the dealer also said that, at 32km, the front tires are quite worn and I should be considering getting new tires in the Spring. No sense just getting 2 tires so now I'd be looking at replacing all four tires.....

Can that be right..??...I need new tires after only 32kms ??? I do mostly city driving.....I fully appreciate that the Goodyears are crap but it does seems rather low milage to have to replace them.

My wife's Goodyears seem to be wearing better although her car only has about 15km on them. :cry:
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    My son's 05 Mazda3 with the same tires went about 18,000 miles on the first set of tires. (which I think is about 29,000km.) These tires are designed for better handling which means they are made of softer rubber compounds. There should be a number on the sidewall, that indicated the relative tire wear. As an example, my Michelins, on a different car, are rated 560AA, (the letters meaning handling and temperature ratings)and I believe yours are 180-200 (from memory) This doesn't mean an actual mileage figure, it is just used to compare relative wear between different tires.
    Can that be right..??...I need new tires after only 32kms ???
    Yes, it's a bit of shock but plausible.

As for the nails, that sounds like bad luck more than problems with the tire. I bought brand new BFGoodrich tires and within a month had two flats; it did not help that my workplace is situated beside the loading dock of a Home Depot. When I switched jobs, my tire "problems" went away. :)
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    This may make me sound like a moron but i know when i clean my truck sometimes i hit the dimmer switch on the interior lights and the entire cluster and everything else goes black. That would be the first place i checked.
  • vmg1vmg1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 CX-7 with exactly the same problem. I have been on the line with Sirius radio 7 times and with the local Mazda dealership 3 times. Sirius says it is a Mazda problem in which the reciever must be reset. Sirius suggested first disconnecting the battery to reset the module and when that didn't work they said disconnect the module while the car is running and reconnect to reset the Sanyo module.This also did not work. I called the Mazda corporate customer service and was told it is a Sirius problem. At this point I am discusted with both Mazda and Sirius Radio. While it may be an issue that Sirius caused, I purchased the Sirius unit factory installed by Mazda and I feel it's their responsibilty to determine what is wrong and get the fix. As of today it's been 7 days the unit has been blinking "update" with no resolution in site.
  • scotzoscotzo Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue with my 2006 mazda3 . Sirius kept telling me it was mazda, so after an entire week of not having it I brought it into mazda yesterday and they ordered me a new radio. We will see if this works. The radio should be in by the end of the week. I would suggest that you call up sirius and tell them you want to put your account on hold because your radio isn't working, so you dont lose time on your subscription. When it works again you just have to call them up and tell them that you want to re-activate the account. They told me you could have the subscription on hold for at least 2 yrs. Hopefully the new radio works again, because I am going nuts without the satellite radio lol.
    Lastest info: Spoke with Sirius this morning, they ackowledge that certain modules will not accept the new update. Sirius's engineers are working with Mazda to resolve this. Apparently Mazda will have the responsibilty to make it right. Check with your local Mazda dealership. Good luck.
  • niko27niko27 Member Posts: 1
    Latest Latest Info: I also have just spoken with SIRIUS and was given the run-around. I finally got the Customer Support Supervisor explained that the satellite had been working until they did their Update. I too was told that both Chrysler and Mazda's have been having this problem and that their techs were working with the Mazda Techs. to resolve the problem. I also got SIRIUS to give me a $39 credit to my account and a $20 good faith credit to my account. I also read in here that SIRIUS holds that account inactive for "2 years". Actually it's 2 months and they suspend the account. Once the issue has been resolved you just call and unsuspend it. Provided SIRIUS can get past this hump; I see it becoming the "NEW" standard in radio.
    We have a couple cars with the same sirius problem...Mazda wants us to wait a bit before we start replacing anything....as you indicated, and we have confirmed, they are working with Sirius to resolve the problem.
    FYI - Go to www.satelliteguys.us for the latest info on the Sirius issue. Look under the Satellite Radio Forum section.
    "Mazda wants us to wait a bit before we start replacing anything....as you indicated, and we have confirmed, they are working with Sirius to resolve the problem"

Based on my experience and complete understanding of the Mazda customer service system - Mazda will have a fix in 2011 - but they will not start fixing cars until 2015.
    They sent out a special bulletin that says if billz71 comments on the problem all issues will be fixed immediately except for his car which will only be fixed the day after he sells his mazda.
  • samtheman1samtheman1 Member Posts: 10
    They will fit just fine.
    I don't have problem with Sirius radio - because don't have one!

Maybe that is where I made a mistake - I should have purchased a Mazda3 without AC - brakes - tranny - suspension - air bags - tires - I could have avoided most of the defects.
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I attempted to rotate my tires last night, and my passenger rear refuses to come off. I can not tell if there is some fusing from rust or what. Does anyone have any tips to get a stubborn tire off? Would spraying WD40 be a bad idea?
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Loosen lug nuts and very slowly lower jack until you get some spring compression. That should break wheel free. Raise back up and finish.
    I would not spray WD-40 on it - it will be hard to not get it on the brake parts.

I tried using a rubber hammer - would not come off.

So - I jacked up the car - sat down on the ground facing the tire - and using both legs "mule kicked" the bottom edge of the tire as hard as I could several times until it broke free.

Before I put the wheels back on I put some WD-40 on a paper towel and cleaned the inside hub of the wheel - did not leave much WD-40 on the wheel - but since have take the wheels off several times with no problems.