Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• coosamtncoosamtn Member Posts: 47
    And when I returned my 3 to the dealer to solve my whining power steering pump problem, I was told "we don't hear anything unusual, you don't have a problem everything is working fine".
    They're replacing the left front strut today but said the whining power steering pump was fine. If I decide to keep this machine, as soon as the warranty is up I'm gonna get me a couple cans of that expanding foam insulation from Home Depot and squirt that sucker down real good!
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    For those that have the $$$ they can buy and carry a error code reader in their car for their vehicle. So, when the engine light goes on, you just connect the reader to the interface so it reads the code.

I am sure you can get a reader for our Mazda3 from Pepboys or other auto parts stores.
  • rogerb1956rogerb1956 Member Posts: 3
    OK, so I bought this 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2.3L, 30,000 miles on the odo, still under warranty. Very nice, fun to drive. Now, reality sets in:

* Gets bad gas mileage (estimate 14~15mpg, city driving, not leadfoot) No gas leaks, runs fine.
    * Has a steering noise, kind of a clicking when turning. Almost sounds like something is rubbing against a rubber boot. At first I thought this was inside dash noise, now not so sure.

Anyone had similar problems, and possible solutions?

From reading this forum, it seems like getting the oil changed at Jiffy Lube is a bad idea. A special tool is required to properly secure the oil filter.

Also, it seems like folks generally have bad luck with warranty repairs from the dealers. However, everyone seems to agree this is fun car to drive.

Thanks for any advice/comments.
    Newbie, it seems that some folk, myself being one of them bought a Mazda that just sucks gas. Nobody knows why.

Apparently, there is a PCM (computer update) for some models (2005 for sure) to help with the lousy gas mileage but it is of no help. It's like the A/C issue in 2004-early 2006 models without auto climate control but the gas mileage is much more random than the A/C issue.

The clickin noise should be looked at by the dealer...it could be your CV joint or ???
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    What month was your Mazda built?

You can look at the drivers side door frame it will give a month and year -just hope its not 10 2003.

My local dealer raised the price on an oil change - they now want almost $30 - but I would never use Jiffy Lube. Not worth it.
  • zoomgirlzoomgirl Member Posts: 13
    how do u notice the dent? did the thieves actually drive off with your car or did they just dent it to get in? i know most cars have a sort of engine immobilizer (like the new truck), but something should be done about the system if thieves know their way in that easily. if they dont, i could just imagine how insurance prices are gonna sky rocket for M3s...not to mention they will knock off honda from the "most stollen car" title. im really starting to get discouraged with mazda! :(
    Mine was built 06/04. What is so bad about one built 10/03?
    No, not a CV joint. The noise occurs without the drive wheels moving, just when the steering wheel turns. There seems to be a TSB on this. I plan to go to the dealer with a list of TSBs that may be related to my complaints.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

Thanks.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I own a 2004 Mazda3 with a 10 2003 build month. I have had many many problems - weak AC, hard shifty auto tranny, grinding rear brakes, thumping front suspension, check engine light that was always coming on, stalling / hard to start engine (defective fuel pump) - defective power window - from my Unscientific poll - many other owners with this build month also have had numerous problems.

The real issue was not even all the defects - it was that Mazda would not fix them - I got so sick of the - its operating as designed - its normal - but then a year later a TSB would come out that was my EXACT problem. So I would take it in and get it fixed. I am glad I stuck with it now - all the defects (except the weak AC) have been resolved. I did some work on the AC system myself and it works somewhat better as long as the temp is below 90.

We bought the car on my daughter's 15th B-day - she learned to drive in it - my wife and I drove it around town for the first couple years & when my daughter turned 17 she took it over as "her" car. She still lets me drive it once in a while - like to the gas station!

Even though I had more than my share of problems with the Mazda3 - I still do not regret buying it - it is a good car for a young driver - GREAT brakes, side & side curtain air bags, very easy to drive & park, limited blind spots - and finally it is a car she really likes and its fun to drive.

She turns 18 at the end of the month - the Mazda3 will have 1 year of warranty left - I am already thinking about getting rid of it before the warranty expires - but when I ask her what car she would like to have when she goes off to college - she says - I like my Mazda. So I am faced with keeping it past warranty (it only was 25.5K miles on it) or trading it in on another Mazda3 - something I have said many times I would never do (buy another Mazda). Only time will tell - if the next year is problem free I may just stick a new battery in it and let her take it to college.
    I got my 3 back from the dealership yesterday. They replaced the left front strut and tweaked the alignment for me. Man, I had forgotten how much fun this thing is to drive. They also showed me the only fix for our power steering pump whine problem. There's this little knob in the center of the dash, just punch it in, twist it to the right and ...'voi la'... the pump whine is gone.
    Bill, you must remember that the 04 was the first new model. Like anything, it's always good to wait a few years before we buying an introductory new model. I [hoped] all the bugs and most of the kinks would be ironed out before I got my 05 but clearly that was not the case....Mazda is quite slow in that department.As you say, your outstanding and common issues have now been resolved, or at least most of them.

If you recall, it took Mazda 2.5 years to more or less resolve the A/C issue by redesigning the HVAC ducts in our non auto climate controlled models.
    They also showed me the only fix for our power steering pump whine problem. There's this little knob in the center of the dash, just punch it in, twist it to the right and ...'voi la'... the pump whine is gone

YOu mean the dimmer switch? That's the only knob in the centre of the dash? :confuse:
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I think he means the radio volume dial. Anyways, Mazda swapped out the rear pads & rotors on our S model today. Hopefully that noise will go away. They also put on the new alloy to replace the one the wife cracked while picking up a humongous piece of metal last month. Finally ended up going with the dealer as the 1st internet guy couldn't get us the wheel he promised & the 2nd guy couldn't guarantee that his wheel would be in perfectly round shape, like new shape. We figured we'd just have to go to the dealer, as we plan on keeping the car another 3 to 4 years, G-d willing!
    Thank G-d the dealer is within 2 miles from the house. A major reason why we bought there. They've been very accomodating to us these past 2 years.

The Sandman :)
    IC....a very very very dry attempt at humour, I guess I am not a mind reader. GONG!

With any car, Mazda or whatever make, having a reliable and dependable dealer is a must. Glad to see you found one. I have one too, or I used to. I have to travel 20+ miles to go there. But, recently the service manager and head mechanic/shop foreman ditched the dealership. The new manager is ok, but the mechanics are so so...looks like I will go somewhere closer to home and probably get some anxiety prescription meds from the Costco Pharmacy to help me deal with the BS that I will have to put up with.

The entire auto car service industry needs to change in how they handle customer complaints and concerns. The worst thing they can do is tell the customer that the vehicle is performing to factory specs when the customer is complaining about an issue. At least write something uncondescending like no anomolies were able to be found at this time if they can NOT replicate the problem, and if they do, they should write that down but indicate that no fix is available at this time.
    Sorry about the lame attempt at humor. Sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying. Besides, my volume control isn't a fix for every issue since I don't have the 8 speaker Bose system in my car.

No doubt, every Mazda 3 made since 2004 has the same pump whine problem, yet Mazda continues putting the same damn pump on cars that are rolling off their assembly lines today. And every Mazda dealership in the world no doubt continue telling customers "we don't hear anything, the pump is working fine", rather than them coming together to slap Mazda engineers "up side the head" for a design change. Too bad!!
  • dinauradinaura Member Posts: 2
    My son-in-law tried to install door sills on my daughter's 2005 Mazda 3 and has only touched the fuse box. He didn't get them installed though. He put everything back but the car never started again. When you put the key in the lights come blinking. The car is with a Mazda Dealer that seems to be lost. They said the computer is blank and they did not get to re-install the memory. They are doing a big deal of this. I don't know if I should take the car to another mechanic.
    Any clue?
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    tried to install door sills on my daughter's 2005 Mazda 3 and has only touched the fuse box
    Sounds bizarre. What's the "connection" :P ?
  • dinauradinaura Member Posts: 2
    What I meant was that he opened the fuse box (took some fuses out and put them back) and tried to have the door sills connected without success. I heard that if a lightining strucks a car thru the antenna, that could cause a big damage and the computer will go blank. However I don't believe any major damage has been caused by what he was trying to do.
    autonomous, I see your doing a little dry humor yourself today. Whats the "connection" ... not bad!

dinaura, can you give us a little more detail of what your son-in-law was attempting? Why would he "pull some fuses" to install door sills? Was he running wires under the door sills for some reason?
  • slimphil18slimphil18 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I was driving my Mazda two days ago on the hwy and I was coming into some traffic and started to come to a stop when the following warning lights came on, check engine, oil, and battery. Immediately after the car shut off. The dealer said they had no idea but they stated that there is new software for the car and updated it. Has anybody experienced this problem or have any idea on what it could be? Thanks
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    dinaura, can you give us a little more detail of what your son-in-law was attempting? Why would he "pull some fuses" to install door sills? Was he running wires under the door sills for some reason? "

I'm guessing they were the aftermarket metal sills with light up "MAZDA3" on them - they have to be connected to the interior lights
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    Hello all,

Have a 2006 Mazda 3i with manual transmission (M/T). With the weather in DC finally getting cold, I noticed that the shift from 1st to 2nd gear is very rough, can sometimes feel the grinding, when the car is cold. This usually goes away after some driving, after the car has warmed up. The shift is fine in warm weather, and other shifts (2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc) are find when it's cold. I'm just wondering if anyone with a M/T has something similar happening to their M/Ts in cold weather.

I'm not too concerned, as my previous car ('95 Mitsubishi Mirage LS) had a similar issue, and a friend with a '05 Subaru WRX complains about a similar thing as well.

Is this just the oil in the gearbox not being warm and therefore thin enough to lube the gears, or should I go to the dealer to have this checked out?
  • brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    Search this forum under "stalling problems". You'll find that there is lots of posts on this problem. Save yourself a hole bunch of headaches and get rid of the car. This problem has existed way back on the 2004s and Mazda has yet to come up with a fix.
  • asdasd Member Posts: 3
    What is the proper way to read the dipstick on an 07 Mazda3? Is it to hold the dipstick horizontally and let the oil that has collected in the "catch" at the bottom of the dipstick work its way up toward the "FULL" line...or hold it vertically?
    Are you a dealer?
    No...

Just trying to figure it out.
    Well, I wouldnt go as far as getting rid of the car because of the stalling problem...I have come to expect the car to stall at the worst possible time and then I would pop the gear into neutral and start the car again.
    Well you better hope that it doesn't stall in the middle of a busy intersection or on a highway ramp like it did to me. Stalling is a dangerous problem and you could very easily be involved in an accident because of it - affecting your life, someone elses and even your insurance rates - so yes, I believe that Stalling is a big and serious issue - this probem has been around for 2 years now - what exactly is Mazda doing to correct the problem? So to me, having a problem that Mazda won't fix is a great reason to get rid of the car. My life is worth much more. Something for you to consider.
    brodie2, I see where your now posting on the Honda Civic issues and solutions board. Did you buy a new Civic & get rid of your 3?
  • slimphil18slimphil18 Member Posts: 2
    Its kind of hard just to get rid of a car when I just bought it brand new from a dealer a month ago. How often has it happened to you? Has anyone seen anykind of pattern?
    slimphil 18, type the word "stalling" into the "search this discussion" window below. Good luck!
    My suggestion: Monitor your drive for the next couple of weeks watching for signs of problems but don't frighten yourself. Your model is not new to the market and has benefitted from the pains that others have gone through. Consumer Reports rates the car as one of the most reliable. That does not make it perfect nor guarantee that you will never have a problem but it does mean that there are thousands of other drivers in similar vehicles who have had years of reliable service. In an article last year in Consumer Reports, Toyota, Honda and various other beacons of reliability were cited with problems in their initial years. We all know that these manufacturers are at the apex of vehicle dependability, but even they have their problems and, especially with new models. I am pleased to confess that my Mazda is over four years old and is as wonderful as the day I bought it. :)
    This is the procedure from the Mazda Protege service manual that I have been using for my Mazda Protege5:

"ENGINE OIL INSPECTION
    1. Position the vehicle on level ground.
    2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature and stop it.
    3. Wait for 5 min.
    4. Remove the dipstick and inspect for oil level and condition. Verify that the oil level is within the F and L marks on the dipstick."
    autonomous, pardon me, but this is not the My Mazda 3 is Wonderful board, it's the Mazda 3 Problems and Solutions board. I'm glad you have a problem free car but the rest of us don't. So, we will panic if we choose
    The last time I checked on JD Power's website, the Mazda3 was NOT listed as a reliable car in terms of mechanical reliability. :sick:
    Well you better hope that it doesn't stall in the middle of a busy intersection or on a highway ramp like it did to me. Stalling is a dangerous problem and you could very easily be involved in an accident because of it - affecting your life, someone elses and even your insurance rates - so yes, I believe that Stalling is a big and serious issue - this probem has been around for 2 years now - what exactly is Mazda doing to correct the problem? So to me, having a problem that Mazda won't fix is a great reason to get rid of the car. My life is worth much more. Something for you to consider.

Good point....I suppose that's what Mazda is waiting to happen: a lawsuit. I do think that Mazda, unlike Honda or Toyota has a "Godzilla" mentality to only "react" when something bad happens...they are NOT proactive, that is for sure.

Fortunately, in my case, mine has stalled at low speeds and the person behind me would be charged if he hits me because they were following to close. However, that's no consolation, the problem is still fairly common. Unfortunately, it's difficult to recreate.

I am almost certain that Mazda would rather payout individual claims such as rear end accidents instead of doing a complete recall of the Mazda3's. They already had a rough year or two with their recall of their Mazda5's. That should tell you something about their engineers' competence.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    What year and month did you buy your Mazda3?
    on JD Power's website, the Mazda3 was NOT listed as a reliable car in terms of mechanical reliability.

Could that be because no car is rated in terms of mechanical reliability by JD Power? I could not find "mechanical reliability" anywhere in their site.

The JD Power site lists Mechanical Quality for the first 90 days and Performance.

"Mechanical Quality - Manufacturing: Taken from the Initial Quality Study (IQS), which looks at owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems with the engine or transmission as well as problems that affect the driving experience (i.e., vehicle/brakes pull, abnormal noises or vibrations) only."

"Performance: This component of APEAL is based on owner satisfaction with the vehicle's powertrain and suspension systems, including acceleration, handling stability, braking performance, and shift quality."

JD Powers rates the 2006 Mazda3 as "the rest" (i.e. lower than the rating "about average") in the Mechanical Quality-Manufacturing category and as "better than most" in the Perfrmance category.
    this is not the My Mazda 3 is Wonderful board, it's the Mazda 3 Problems and Solutions board.
    Hmmm, I suppose in a problems and solutions board, some are focussed on problems, some on solutions, and some are bored.
  • rhelmbrightrhelmbright Member Posts: 8
    I have an 05 Mazada3 and the rear brakes have gone bad already as well. Had a hard time finding replacements. Had to go to the NAPA distribution to get them. There is deffinately a lot of brake dust from this paticular vehicle. My Expedition does not even get that much and it's alot heavier of a vehicle.
    The JD Power site lists Mechanical Quality for the first 90 days and Performance.

"Mechanical Quality - Manufacturing: Taken from the Initial Quality Study (IQS), which looks at owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems with the engine or transmission as well as problems that affect the driving experience (i.e., vehicle/brakes pull, abnormal noises or vibrations) only."

JD Powers rates the 2006 Mazda3 as "the rest" (i.e. lower than the rating "about average") in the Mechanical Quality-Manufacturing category.

Mechanical Quality aka Reliability is what most people [should] focus on.
  • dridedride Member Posts: 139
    I have had a similar problem in the winter. It is difficult for me to get from second up and over to third when the car has been outside in temps below, say 10 degrees. A remedy has been to let the car warm up a little longer. I do love the 3's heater, the car does heat quite nicely.
    Ya, I did trade my 3 in for a Civic mostly because I fought with Mazda for two years over the countless problems with my car and most including the stalling were never addressed. I was so afraid to bring any children in this car just in case it stalled at a bad time and place. Not worth the risk. Mazda Canada also treated me awful.
    brodie2, good for you. I looked at the Civic several times before getting my 3. I really like the way the new Civic looks. I think the deciding factor in my case in not going with the Civic was the position of the emergency brake handle (hurt my leg). Now that you've spent some time behind the wheel, how does it handle compared with the 3?
    I love my civic but I think I would love any car other than my mazda due to all the problems I had with it.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626

JD Powers rates the 2006 Mazda3 as "the rest" (i.e. lower than the rating "about average") in the Mechanical Quality-Manufacturing category.

Mechanical Quality aka Reliability is what most people [should] focus on. "

How does mechanical quality in the 1st 90 days equate to reliability? :confuse:
  • alyruhalyruh Member Posts: 1
    My car '04 doesn't shut off when I come to a start, but since Thanksgiving, it does drag when I start it.

I've taken the car back to the dealership, as it is still under warranty, several times, only to be told that the trunk is draining the battery. Does that make sense?
    How does mechanical quality in the 1st 90 days equate to reliability?
    Good question.